Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Gotham city talk

Yeah, big flaw Ivy had for me was a lack of real focus. She didn't have the right factors to pull of a lack of focus and still be interesting on her own due to force of personality, flare, etc. Half the times I see her she was trying to pull of some Plant based Apocalypse, usually on a very small scale though. Other half it seemed like she was just little more than a petty criminal using plant powers, and occasionally just didn't really seem to have any goal/plan at all other than random criminal acts. Least in my memory.

ivy is no petty criminal she has spent her life currupting the mind and twisting it to her will. she has had instances if sitting in her cell for months and planning until she escapes and puts her plans into action.she is no small feet if anyone can ever out wait the bat and outplan besides the riddler of course it would be her.

I'll probably butcher the spelling because I only ever saw him in movies/series and thus never in print... but when I think of Batman Villains that could out think/plot him I think of the Lazarus Powered, nigh immortal Raz Al-Guhl, and his black widow of a daughter Talia for that matter. Catwoman, who often gets the better of him, though usually by well placed ploys and betrayals comes to mind as well. But there's the feeling that all the villains in Arkham are just plotting their escape and vengeance against Batman with a few notable exceptions, such as Mr. Freeze. I recall an episode where Joker runs a trial against Batman in the Asylum which does well at illustrating that point.

Never REALLY thought Ivy was a petty criminal. She had backstory which had purpose for her. But half the time I saw her what was she doing? A random robbery? Usually related in some way to Plants/Nature, but not in a way that lead to some Mother Nature Dominion angle like her backstory suggested is what she should be doing. Sort of like how Catwoman's capers are, most of the time, just stealing something that's Cat Named/Themed, same with Penguin and Birds for that matter.

When the writers really take some effort to delve into the characters, they get more interesting. But it seems half the time they just don't take the time.

serphina321 said:
ivy is no petty criminal she has spent her life currupting the mind and twisting it to her will. she has had instances if sitting in her cell for months and planning until she escapes and puts her plans into action.she is no small feet if anyone can ever out wait the bat and outplan besides the riddler of course it would be her.
See, that's the version you've seen. There are other versions out there, some of which directly contradict that devious planner image. And those are as canon for the character as any others; like I said, depends on the writers. For that matter, how many fucking intricate devious planners can one superhero attract? He must be like "Oh, thank God, Killer Croc! At least I don't have to worry about some overarching Xanatos Gambit!"

(re: Xanatos Gambit -- yes, i think Batman knows about TV Tropes)

The ones where he's against a plotter seems more like Xanatos Roulette. Like when he was against, what was that thing called. HARDY or something?

lol well you certainly have a point there killer crock must be the break batman looks forward to after dealing with the others plans .

Course Killer Croc also had that nice storyline where he was in the woods and hiding with the other freaks. Fairly played out story, you know, bad guys gets a new start among saviors that are just Too Damned Good, but it was pulled off well enough. Gave Batman a bit of a run since he had to deal with Hostile Innocents, etc.

yeah it was an alright story line but you have to remember the tv series are often much different then what there based off of .killer crock in almost all his incarnations would happily rip people apart and eat them its in most of the later comics as he started to mutate.

Yeah, was browsing through some videos on youtube, saw some two parter about batman and superman done comedically and reminded me in part why Batman was one of my favorite heroes. Well, Batman and both Spiderman. More or less their villains are on the lower end of the scale. Gives them some more, human, problems and issues. Not a question of earth shattering battles. Course when you try to step back and view things in that whole DC/Marvel Continuity ideal it just makes things look wonky. You know, like Batman supposedly being one of the founding members of the League and one of the go to guys when he's probably quite literally one of the weakest ones there. Well, excepting a very few one off side characters I only saw a few times like... Vigilante comes to mind. Just a guy with some six shooters and a cowboy get up. Question? A guy with a mask and an insane obsession with conspiracies that all end up being true? Odd note: Only line of his I remember is him getting interrogated and tortured, spitting out random information and saying "The plastic bits at the end of shoe laces are called aglets... their true purpose... is sinister."

To the point? Oddly liked Batman when he was going against more, Human, villains. Mutated Croc doesn't sound as interesting to me. Same as Bane, didn't have much of a purpose, was just a behemoth.

Back
Top Bottom