Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

L.A. EYES ( Katy & Crimson )

RE: LA EYE'S ( Case of the Innocent Murderer ) ( Katy & Crimson )

it took three days before she could convince both the hospital and Matt and Mike that she was fit enough to leave and go home. Nina eventually came around to the hospital after having gone to Samantha's place to get her some clothes. Matt had come after work and picked her up and driven her back home. Her own car was back parked in front of her building. She guessed either Matt or Mike would have driven it back from Parker's place. Nina had obviously done a lot more than simply get her some clothes to wear home. There was fresh food in the cupboards; fresh bread and milk. Fruit. Vegetables. It even smelled as if there was a casserole cooking in the oven as they walked in. Flowers which had been sent to her at the hospital had now been moved; from Jill and her family, from the courthouse and the police Precinct as well as a separate gift from Mike, some from Nina and Matt. Matt had made sure she was comfortable that first night and then it seemed to be that her friends took it in turn to call in and see her. And for the most part she was grateful for the company.

Sometimes on her own, her mind drifted back to the events in Parker's house. Sometimes in the night, she woke up, the images vivid in her dreams. Physically, except for the marks around her wrists and the cut on her back there was no real evidence of what had happened. And in a few weeks those scars would be gone too. It might take a little longer for the internal scars - the ones in her head - to heal, but she knew that they would. Eventually

RE: LA EYE'S ( Case of the Innocent Murderer ) ( Katy & Crimson )

Case of the Deadly Games

A month had past since Samantha was brutally assaulted and forced into having sex by Gary Parker at his home. Her body had healed but those mental scars were still there although they didn't pop up as often. Nina had cancelled her party which would have been held the Friday of that week....but Samantha was in no shape and Nina didn't want play anymore games of force until Samantha was ready. Since that day in Samantha's office both Nina & Samantha he become close.....closer then they had been before. Nina was there when Samantha was ready to break down......she was the one who comforted Samantha at that time. Samantha did open up to both Mathew & Mike.....but she did it differently then she did with Nina. Gary Parker was sitting in jail awaiting his trail......he blamed Samantha for what happened and swore revenge on her one day. His trail wouldn't happen until September since he had trouble finding a lawyer who would take the case.....but he finally did.....a sleazy...dirt bag named Lou Arcole. Arcole didn't care whether or not Parker was innocent....he was looking to get his name in the papers since Samantha had taken away a lot of his business. He planned on taking cheap shots at Samantha during the trail......Arcole wanted to make Samantha look bad in the eyes of the people.....but that was going to be hard too do since the newspapers wrote stories of her being a heroine in that case.

Mathew got a call from a man in San Francisco who offered him $100,000 dollars to find a missing diamond. The diamond had been stolen and was worth $250,000 dollars. Mathew couldn't pass up this case so he left for San Francisco the next day since nothing else was happening around the office....but the day after Matt left things started picking up. It was early in the morning on August the 22nd when a homeless man stumbled into an alley......he came acrossed a body laying in the alley...the body had a bolt from a crossbow in the chest. The police were called and soon Lt. Mike Grant was on the scene along with Sergeant Ben Warren. They identified the body as being Allen Townsend.....he was a reporter who worked at the LA Daily News and was a good friend of Mathew's. In the dead man's hands was a chess piece......that piece was the Knight. The next morning another body was found.....this time it was found in the back of a parking lot.This time it was a woman named Amy Taylor......Amy worked as a Nurse and just happened to be a good friend of Samantha's. Her head had been cut off then someone used tape to put the head back onto the body. The Police found something in Amy's hand.....it was another chess piece......but this time it was the Bishop. Mike found this hard to believe and understand.....two people both closes friends of Mathew & Samantha's were dead and both had chess piece in their hands which matched Mathew & Samantha's last names.

Once Mike returned to his office he called Samantha asking her to come down to his office. He didn't say why....but did tel her that it was important. Mike would have to tell Samantha that her friend was dead and hope that she could give some answer as to why these two people were murdered. Mike hated to put this onto Samantha since what had happened to her.....he had grown very fond of her over the past few weeks and they had even spent a few nights together although they hadn't started any kind of relationship other then still being close friends.

RE: LA EYE'S ( Katy & Crimson )

Samantha walked into the police station about two hours after getting the call from Mike. It was good to be out of the apartment; she was starting to get a little stir crazy. As she walked up to the desk, the Sergeant recognised her, asked her how she was, told her it was good to see her up and around and then told her that the lieutenant was in his office and expecting her. Between the front desk and Mike's door, she had a number of similar conversations with officers she passed on the way. She was quite touched really at how genuine most of them seemed to be - she didn't think many defense lawyers would have got the same reception.

She met Ben Warren at the top of the stairs; and as he walked with her to Mike's office, they had a similar conversation. He was the only one that mentioned Parker though. In some ways she was grateful; she had to get used it talking about it. She had seen the newspapers, read about Arcole taking the case, knew what Parker was going to be claiming. She knew that Arcole would be out to show her as the whore who threw herself at his client, suspected that Arcole would seek out every man she had slept with since she'd been in LA - which to be fair was only four excluding Mike and Nina of course! Even Arcole wouldn't approach Mike although he couldn't have known about what happened that afternoon. She pushed the thoughts out of her head... Another time. Ben opened the door for her and let her step inside. Mike was already out of his chair. Samantha gave him a hug, kissed him softly on the cheek and then sat down.

"So... What can I do for you?"

The officers around the Hollywood Station knew the hell Samantha went threw just to help catch Parker....and to each officer all had a new found respect for her. When Samantha first came to Los Angeles back in 1945 still fresh from law school....she found little in the way of respect....now two years later she had gained the respect from these men & women....along with many at the courthouse and in other places around the city...even if she paid for it with her body.

Mike was very happy too see Samantha.....he knew that it was killing her just sitting around her apartment.....but he hated having to tell her such bad news at this time. Once Samantha sat down Mike moved over sitting in front of her on the edge of his desk.....his face was showing a very troubled look. " I sorry to bring you down here Sammy.......but with Mathew out of town I need your help.......over the last two days we've found two bodies.......both murdered in some very odd ways. " Mike said as he reached back picking up two files from his desk then handed them to Samantha. She of course would know both of these people......but knew Amy Taylor better then Allen Townsend. The reports that Mike had give her would tell Samantha how & where the bodies were found....it would also say that a crossbow bolt was found in Townsend's chest and that Taylor had her head cut off. Along with the chess pieces found in each hand of the victim....a small stamp was found on the backs of their right hands.....it was a stamp of a chess pawn.

Mike told Samantha how sorry he was for her friends death.....and also said that since these two were friends of her & Matt's....Mike wanted her help on this case. Ben explained that while checking on the two victims they found that the two disappeared on the same day just hours apart then where found a few days later. He also said that they had no more leads which was why they wanted her help since she knew both victims.

Meanwhile back at Samantha's office.....

The mail had just been delivered......Nina took Samantha's mail into her office laying it on her desk. She expected Samantha in the office today since Mathew left town.... in the mail were many get well cards from people around the city wishing her a speedy recovery. There was also one small white envelope which held what looked like an invitation......but this invitation wasn't to a party.....it was to a very deadly game. The invitation read: Ms. Bishop......I'm the party who killed those two people and I have a challenge for you. Play my game and if you win....you get me.....if you lose....you die. The rules are simple.......DON'T call the police......DON'T tell anyone about this game or what you are doing. If you break my rules I'll keep killing until you agree to play. Leave your office at noon...go to the hotdog stand 3 blocks down the street from your office. Order yourself a hotdog......you'll then get another card telling you were to go. It invitation was signed Mr. King

Samantha stared at the photographs in the file, her eyes glazing a little at the particularly vicious picture of Amy. Amy and she had become friends almost 18 monts ago when Samantha had gone to the hospital to get some medical information for a case she was preparing. Since then Amy had helped her out numerous times but they had become friends and had even double dated a couple of times. Amy kept finding new men - usually doctors - but never wanted to risk going out with them alone. So she always got the man to bring a friend and she took Samantha. She was a funny lady so alive and wanting so much just to have fun. Now the picture of her showed her grey and still.

She looked up at Mike and nodded. "i'll do whatever I can... Whatever you need. Matt and Alan... He's gonna take very personally. They've known each other for years. I think they met in '41... Signed up on the same day. I'll see what I can find out." she pushed herself out of the chair. Mike stepped towards her and they hugged each other again, Mike holding her a little more firmly thus time whispering again how sorry he was.

An hour later, Samantha walked into the office. Nina was pleased to see her. She followed her into her office telling her about the calls that had come in, about the mail, about general stuff. She watched as Sam took her coat off, taking it from her and commenting on how good her sweater looked and then she noticed something was wrong, Samantha told her what had happened to both Alan and Amy. Nina was genuinely shocked. She had met both f them once or twice but didn't really know either of them. Nina took a step towards Samantha, seeing how upset she was. She reached out a hand and brushed a loose tail of Samantha's hair out of her eyes and behind her eyes, leaving heropen hand against Samantha's cheek for a moment whispering softly that she was sorry, that it would be ok and that the police and her and Matt when he got back would catch who did thus.

Samantha nodded. Nina went out to make some coffee while Samantha went through the mail. When she opened and read the invitation her blood ran cold. She really should call Mike. But then... She closed her eyes for a moment wishing Matt was there. When she heard Nina coming back she tucked the invitation quickly into the envelope. Checking her watch she decided to do what the note had said. She had an hour. Have coffee with Nina. Leave a note for Matt together with the invitation and then follow the lead she had. Last time she did that though it hadnt worked out too well she thought as she smiled at Nina.

Mr. Rook walked into the room where Mr. King was sitting....still behind the same desk as before. " Ms. Bishop should be getting the note I sent her......I'm sure that the police have notified her by now of the deaths of those people close to her & Mr. Knight. " Mr. King said as he was looking at a book titled Game Riles......he then looked up at Mr. Rook. " It's a shame that Mr. Knight won't be playing this along with Ms. Bishop......but I'm sure he'll return in time......I only hope that she's still alive. " Mr. King said as he slowly stood up from his chair. " Is everything ready for the next step? " Mr. Rook smiled when Mr. King asked his question. " Yes it is........the pawn is already in place.......once she's at the hotdog stand the second note will be dropped of in her car......then the game will begin. " Once Mr. Rook was finished with his report.....Mr. King told him that go watch Samantha......to follow her for a short time.......then he was to set up the next game with the new pawn.

Mr. King's plan was to run Samantha around the city.......making her play his sick games until it was time for them to meet.....then she would see who from her past had come back to haunt her. The first clue to who Mr. King was.......was on the back of the invitation......it was printed at the Valentine Card Company. Which was used as a base for the Nazi Spy ring back in 1945......but all those men were dead or still in prison.

Nina fetched her a cup of coffee but then left her to the post. When she left, Samantha took the invitation back out of the envelope and read it again... and again as she drank her coffee. Someone wanted her to play a sick game. Play a game where the stakes are literally life and death. And refusing to play... or refusing to play by the rules would result in someone else's death. Two people already dead, one connected to Matt, one to her. Now the invitation sent to their office. The connection to the victims was no random accident. But the invitation was only addressed to her... did someone know that Matt was away? The killing of Alan was a message for Matt - he was in this as much as she was. She really should call Mike. Mike would not be happy if she didn't and if he ever found out about this and she couldn't deny the fact that not telling him amounting to withholding evidence on an active investigation. A double murder investigation. Not telling him could be described as obstructing a police inquiry. And she could see Mike arresting her and holding her in the cell for a night just to make his point. What would Matt do? Actually that was a stupid question. She knew exactly what Matt would do, and picking up the phone to call Lieutenant Mike Grant would not have been on his to do list - friend or not. She checked her watch. 11.15. She tried to picture the exact location of the hotdog stand referred to in the note. If she left now, and if she drove instead of walking, she could park just a little way down from it and watch the comings and goings for a while. Or she could walk. It would only take her about 10 minutes. But then there was nowhere really to sit out in the open and not appear to simply be enjoying the air.

She pushed the invitation back in the envelope. She moved the rest of the post out of the way, pulled a clear piece of paper out and wrote a simnple note for Matt. Just in case he did manage to get back this afternoon... but also remembering that after the last time she had promised both him and Mike that she wouldn't go off on her own as part of an investigation without leaving some word of where she was going. She clipped the invitation to the note and stood up, picked up her purse and her keys, and headed for Matt's office.

"Just going to leave these on his desk... in case he decided to rejoin us sometime soon..." Samantha spoke to Nina as she crossed the reception room, disappeared for the moment and then reappeared. "I think I might have found us a new case. I...erm... I'm not sure how long I'll be Nina but maybe I'll see you later." She gave Nina a smile and then disappeared of the door. She took the elevator to the basement, and made her way quickly to the car. Five minutes later she was pulling up a few hundred yards away from the hotdog stand on the opposite side of the road. It wasn't even 11.30 year... maybe....

Half an hour later... nothing. She had sat in the car and seen nothing that looked in any way unusual. With a final check of her watch, she climbed out of the car. 11.57. She walked up to the stand and ordered the dog, looking left and right as she did. Nothing. She took a bite and then wiped her mouth on a napkin. Was this a wild goose chase? Did someone want her out of the office? She took another bite... another look around. Still nothing. She shook her head and then tossed the rest of the hotdog into the tash before heading back to her car. She climbed in, tossed her purse onto the passenger seat and put her key in the ignition. And then she saw the envelop. sitting on the dash.

From the time that Samantha had pulled up near the hotdog stand she had been watched by Mr. Rook. She wouldn't even know that he was there.....Mr. Rook had been at one time a private investigator like Mathew. His reputation was destroyed by Mathew during the Nazi Spy case......in fact everyone thought he was dead and the name Rook was only a play on his real name. Mr. Rook was acting as the inside man for the Nazi's......he was trying to keep Mathew away from the group.....but then Samantha got involved into this case when she found out a man who she had just started dating was part of the Nazi ring. Samantha knew from reading the papers that Mathew was trying to crack the last of the Nazi Spy Rings in America.

Samantha went to Mathew with the information that would blow the case open for him. This was the first time they met......he was impressed with not only her beauty....but how good she real was at investigations....although he never told her that. Later that night Mathew.....Samantha & the Police broke into a warehouse where the spies were meeting. A gun battle broke out....when it was over the Nazi Spy Ring was destroyed and any hopes of a Japaneses invasion of America had been lost.

While Samantha was at the stand an unseen man slipped past her car tossing the envelop onto the dash board of her car....that man then slipped away. Inside was another message for Samantha.....the message said.

" Ms. Bishop.........I'm very glad that you've decided to play my game.....you've spared the lives of people....some very close too you. Please know that you're being watched......not all the time.....but then you'll never know when it's happening. So follow my rules and play this game out......you'll reach me in time. Speaking of time.....this game like many others has a set time.....you must do what I tell you to do in the amount of time I give you or someone will die. You've become a heroine in this city......and people expect those like you to save them. Even now as you read this someone you know is in danger.......there's an old warehouse on 2nd street....just off of Wilshire Boulevard. You'll find someone you know inside who is in GREAT danger.......you have 15 minutes to save them....without help from anyone. You'll also find another message on the telephone pole just acrossed from the main doors. It will lead you to the next game site." The message was again signed by Mr. King.

This warehouse was an important clue since it was the same warehouse the Nazi's used as their meeting place and where Samantha faced her then boyfriend who was in fact a spy.

Samantha reached for the envelope, took out the message and read it. Then read it again. She looked around outside, but she couldn't see anyone watching her. No-one was looking in her direction. Everyone around simply seemed to be go to somewhere or coming from somewhere. They didn't even seem to notice Samantha sat in her car. She read the note again. She looked at her watch. 2nd street warehouse. God, that was a blast from the past. It had been a long time since she had been down there.

She turned the key in the ignition and pulled out into the traffic, accelerating quickly and probably breaking a few speed limits. Something else for Mike Grant to have a go at her for if ever she were stopped. But she couldn't afford to be stopped. She eased her foot off the pedal. She had to get there... ideally on time... but she had to at least get there. 'Someone I know in great danger.' she thought to herself.

It took her 10 minutes to get to the warehouse. She pulled up outside the side entrance and climbed out of the car. The place was desserted. It had practically been a vacant lot for years, ever since... Ryan's face appeared in her mind. She shook her head and got rid of it and headed inside, not entirely sure what she was going to find.

Ryan.....Samantha's first boyfriend in LA was none other then Ryan Chessmen. His father at the time when Ryan & Samantha dated was a wealthy businessman....but soon after it was reviled that Ryan was working as a Nazi Spy his families fortune was lost. Everything that Alexander Chessman had built was gone......the board game company that built their power & wealth had been lost forever.....the only thing left was a card making company that Alexander bought just weeks before his son was exposed as a spy and killed by Mathew in the gun battle.

The 2nd street warehouse.....just minutes before Samantha arrived.

Arnold Sims the janitor who worked in the building were Samantha & Mathew had their offices was tied to a chair. This chair was in the middle of the floor of the old warehouse and was surrounded by devices attached to glass bottles.....inside these glass bottles was gasoline. In seconds the devices would break each bottle open one by one spreading the gasoline around the floor then another device sitting in front of Arnold would set the gas on fire!

Arnold Sims was an older man in his late 60's......he had never hurt anyone in his life. Arnie as he was called around the building was always happy and could make a person laugh when they must needed it. Arnie lived alone now that his wife of 20 + years had passed away......it would seem now that he would join her even though he didn't understand why he was here or who even kidnapped him. Mr. Rook who had taken Arnie placed on his hand the pawn stamp which was also found on the right hands of the other victims.....this Sam would see in time. One by one each bottle broke open spilling the gas over the old wooden floor.....then a second after the last bottle broke the device in front of Arnie sparked lighting the gasoline on fire. Arnie tried to break free but he was tied to well.....he wasn't even able to cry out fro help since he was gagged.

Samantha stepped inside the building. Immediately her memories came flooding back but the place looked very different now to what it did then. The years had taken its toll and clearly no-one else had used the warehouse since the Valentine Cards had been made here. As she began to explore the image of Alexander came to mind. Ryan's father. They got on ok but she always felt a little uncomfortable around him. She always seemed to be ... leering and there were a few times when the faatherly hand on the arm or around the shoulders had felt a little less than fatherly.

But she was brought back to the present by a noise... what sounded like a low whosh of air and then... then she smelt the burning and she suddenly panicked. Somewhere in here was someone she cared about and it seemed like... she pushed open the door at the end of the corridor which if she remembered rightly tool her into the main warehouse floor. She was right, but the sight she saw was completely unexpected. A wall of flame in the middle of the large floorspace. And someone was in the middle of it. She looked around wildly and saw a fire extinguisher in the corner. She ran over to it, silently praying that it still worked and that there was still something in it. She picked it up and immediately knew it was full. She unclipped the hose and started pumping the handle. It took a few goes but eventually... just a little to start with, then more. She ran over to the edge of the fire, immediately feeling the heat from it and started to spray the extinguisher. She cut the fire down enough to allow her into the temporary sanctuary in the middle.

"Arnie... oh God." She put the extinguisher down and rushed over the to chair, quickly undoing the knots which bound him. "Come on.. quickly" She helped him up and then confirming that he could stand on his own, she picked up the extinguisher and the two of them made their way out quickly. By the time they were outside, the building was well alight and the two of them were bent over coughing, tears streaming down their face. As they were both stood there, bent over, hands on knees, Samantha noticed the pawn on the back of his hand - the same mark that was on both Amy and Alan. She stood up and looked around. She saw a phone and asked Arnie if is was ok to call the fire brigade. He nodded. Samantha looked around again and spotted the pole referred to in the last message. She quickly headed over to it and pulled the note off of it.

Arnie was glad too see Samantha......he had thought that this would be his end.....but she saved him just in time. He left Samantha walking over to the nearby phone placing a call to the Los Angeles City Fire Department while Samantha went to the telephone pole just acrossed from the main doors of the warehouse. This message was like the others telling her what to do next....it was printed on the same kind of card as the invitation from earlier in the day. The message said.

" Ms. Bishop.......when you read this your friend Arnold Sims is either dead or alive.....that was up too you. Not everyone gets the chance to pick when someone they love lives or dies.......but that's part of this game of life & death. Leave this place NOW........speak with no one.....not even Arnold if you saved him. Get back into your car and drive to the Santa Monica State Beach Park. Walk north.....or maybe you should run north until you see a boat out in the water. In this boat is a person you know and they are in GREAT danger! You must swim out to this boat and save them.....or this person will drown and most likely end up as shark food. Oh....I did forget to say that a shark was seen in this area only yesterday....I hope you can swim.....and you should lose your dress for this rescue or it will be damaged. " Again the message was signed by Mr. King

This area was another clue since this was the area that the Japaneses was planning on using for it's invasion of the United States. This park was also an area where Ryan would bring Samantha on their dates.....they would often walk alone the beach holding hands back before she knew that Ryan worked for the Germans.

Samantha looked across at Arnie as he made the phone call to the LAFD. He seemed well enough she thought as she started walking back to her car. She looked down again at the note and quickened her pace.

She climbed in, fired up the engine and headed to the Beach Park. Her memories drifted again as she drove, this time not worrying about the possible speeding ticket. Why was this Mr King taking her on a tour of her past. No, not just her past. Her past with Ryan. She had spent a lot of days... and evenings... in the Beach Park with him. She couldnt help smile a little at the memory of the two of them making out in some secluded spot. Not very lady-like at all and something which had they been seen would pretty much have ruined her reputation before she ever acquired one.

When she arrived, she came to a screeching holt and got out of the car quickly. She kicked off her heels there and then and left them in the car. Running in them was not going to get her much other than a broken ankle. Then she headed north at a run, her eyes searching the water for the boat. It took a moment or two be she spotted it and immediately changed her direction and headed to the waterline, already undoing her dress as she approached. She tossed it loosely onto the sand and then ran into the surf. There was nothing she could do about the risk of the shark attack. That was either going to happen or it wasnt but if she didn;t do what she was told, some was going to die. Someone she cared about. Samantha had always been a strong swimmer. The boat was perhaps a mile or so out from the shore. That was a 20 minute swim if she was lucky. She hoped that her eye for distance was out and that the boat was closer than it looked.

The time was quickly ticking away......the small row boat was slowly sinking.....it had four holes placed around it so as it was sinking it would stay even on the water. Inside was another person from Samantha's past.....but not from so long ago....this person she knew from her last case. Jill Monroe was tied up laying in the bottom of the boat.....she could move or even raise up since the ropes holder her had been tied to the boat it's self. Jill was in full panic mode at this time.....she had been kidnapped right off the street then taken here by a man wearing a black mask.

She was tied then tossed in the boat.....she was then tied to the boat then it was pulled out into the open water. It was only then that the plugs which kept the boat from sink before were pulled out then the water started rushing in through those holes. Jill didn't know why she was brought here...nor did she know that Samantha was swimming towards the boat to rescue her.

On a nearby tree was another note for Samantha......she would see it after getting out of the water and looking around a bit. Not far away but hidden from view was Mr. Rook.......he was watching Samantha put her own life at risk to save this girl. Rook who had a deep hatred for Mathew was disappointed that Mathew wasn't running around doing this.....yet he knew Mathew would join in the game and it was a well planned out game. Mr. King did a great job picking the victims to be saved.....and even though it was well planned out Mr. Rook had made a mistake.....Jill saw that the man who took her had a tattoo on his left wrist.....it was a tattoo of chess Rook.

With this information Samantha would remember a Arthur Rooker who had been one of the private eyes working for the United States to help track down Spies. He along with Mathew were leading the group of PI's in LA but no one knew that he had been working for the German during this time. He was uncovered at the same time that Ryan was exposed as a spy.....Rooker was thought to be dead as he fell into the water after being shot by Mike Grant......the body was never found.

When Samantha reached the boat she was tired. She reached out a hand and grabbed the edge of the boat and immediately heard a squeal. She could barely believe who was inside. "Jill?" Samantha shook her head and then reached in. "Ok... Calm down. Jill... Im going to get you out of here but I need you to calm down. " The fact that the boat was sinking made it much easier. It seemed to take her forever but eventually Samantha had undone the ropes securing Jill to the bottom of the boat. After untieing her from the boat, she used one hand to try and keep her head above the water and the other to undo the rope around her wrists.

Once free, Jill seemed to calm down a lot more.

"Ok?" Samantha looked at her as they both trod water. "Okay. We're going to take it nice and steady. Both of us together. Ok? Lets get you home."

It took them nearly half an hour to make the swim back with Jill telling her what had happened. Samantha pushed her to remember as much as she could. The conversation also meant that the distance and the time it took to get back weren't quite so noticeable. Both of them were relieved though when they finally put their feet back on dry land. Samantha picked up her dress and started to put it back on, struggling a little as the fabric stuck to her wet skin. She looked around.

"Jill. There is a phone just on the peer over there. Call your parents. Get them to come and pick you up." Samantha then stood for a second, wondering what on earth she was supposed to do now. She had no where else to go. No more instructions. And then as she was looking around she spotted it. Before she could make a move towards the tree however, suddenly Jill turned around and started heading back to her.

"I've remembered something else. The man who took me... he... he had a... a castle... here on his wrist."

"A castle."

"Yeah. You know like... like a chess piece. A castle"

"Ok..." Samantha looked a little puzzled. "Go make that call before you catch your death."

Samantha headed over to the tree and pulled the note from it

During the time that Samantha was saving Jill from drowning in the boat Mr. Rook was busy taking another pawn too be used in Mr. King's deadly games. He showed up at the office Samantha shared with Mathew.....he knocked on the door then entered the office....in his hand Mr. Rook was carrying some flowers. He told Nina that they were for Ms. Bishop....since Sam was just getting back to work from what happened to her a month ago Nina didn't think this was strange......many people had sent Samantha flowers either to her apartment......at the courthouse.....or here at the office. Nina smiled as she rose up taking in a deep breathe of these beautiful flowers then she was hit in the face by gas. The gas shot out right in Nina's face just when she took in that deep breathe......with in seconds Nina was out.....falling back into her chair knocking over her coffee cup as she did when back.

Nina never took a good look at the man's face....if she had her memory would have told her that she had seen him before. She would have noticed that this man was Arthur Rooker....the man who worked with Mathew in the past. Mr. Rook then dropped the flowers into a waste can near Nina's desk.....he then placed the pawn stamp onto her left hand. She was picked up tossed over his shoulder then Mr. Rook carried Nina out of the office and down the back stairs of the building. He loaded Nina into his car then jumped in.....with in seconds he was gone and so was Nina.

Mathew had closed the case of the missing diamond just hours ago.....he left San Francisco with a check in his pocket for $100,000 dollars. This would make Nina happy since she wouldn't have to bill anyone for this case....she could just deposit the money in the bank then Mathew would take both Nina & Samantha out for a night on the town. Mathew arrived at the office almost a half hour after Nina had been kidnapped.....he found it odd that she wasn't at her desk......and that she had spilled coffee on her desk without cleaning it up. Nina was always so neat.....she always kept her desk looking it's best and Nina was always riding Mathew about how messy his desk always seemed to be....if it wasn't for her Mathew would find half of his case files.

Mathew had also expected too see Samantha back in the office.....but she wasn't around...there was mail on her desk though....which told Mathew that she must have been here at some point during the day. Mathew left Sam's office stopping to get a cup of coffee....were he saw the flowers in the trash can....but it didn't seem important so he went to his office too see what mail there was waiting for him.

The next message for Samantha which had been on a tree was going to be something very hard for her to do....but she would have to in order to save someone's life. The message said.

" Ms. Bishop......I surely hope that you saved that young girls life.....she has so much to live for and what a waste it would be if she died so young....but then many people die young don't they Ms. Bishop. Some are even murdered by those who calm to be saving lives like your partner Mr. Knight. How many lives has he taken over the years? How many innocent people have died because of Mr. Knight? I have an even better question......have you ever killed someone? Well you'll get a chance right now.......get into your car drive down to the pier at Pacific Park. Go under the pier you'll find someone you know who is in GREAT danger....to save them you must kill another person. Another message will be in the coat pocket of the person who you must kill. Oh and they will kill the person they've been told too.....you can make no deals with them. This game is kill or be killed Ms. Bishop.......you have 15 minutes to save someone's life. " Signed Mr. King

Samantha was getting tired of this game. She was getting tired of being dragged across the city. She knew of course that she didn't really have any choice about it. She couldn't risk that someone she knew would be left to die. But that didn't stop her being pissed off at the stupid game. Kill of be killed. She always knew that sooner or later she would have to use her gun. Now she was about to find out if she could.

She climbed back in the car, the water soaking through her dress and onto the leather sets straight away, but she didnt stop to worry about that. She drove quickly to the park, parked up and headed under the pier quickly.

Under the pier at Pacific Park was a man.....he was watching the time tick away on his watch. Another man laid tied up just a few feet away from him...the man watch the time hand a gun in his hand....his job was simple.....kill this other man after waiting 15 minutes then he would collect $1000 dollars. The man holding the gun was a common street hood....he would do anything for money and it didn't matter what the job was as long as he got paid. The man laying on the rocky ground under the pier was David Collins....he was Samantha's second boyfriend after the relationship with Ryan Chessmen ended.

The street hood raised his gun.......he pulled back the hammer of his 38 special....it was pointed right at Collins who had no idea why he was even here....or how he got here. His hands were tied in front of him so he could see the pawn stamp on his right hand.....the same stamp as the others had. " It's almost time too die........I'm really sorry about this......but I need the money. "

Mathew had just sat down at his desk taking a sip of his coffee....then he sat the cup down. Setting on his desk right on top of the mail that Nina had placed there earlier was the invitation that Samantha got in the mail today along with a note she wrote out to Mathew. He read over the note then looked at the invitation.......he knew Samantha was in danger.....but he couldn't go rushing off. Anyways Samantha had a big lead on him in this deadly game.....Mathew had to think of a way to catch up. He placed a call to the Hollywood Station hoping that he would speak with Mike. But as Sergeant Warren told Mathew.....Mike hadn't come back from lunch yet.....in fact Mike was over due and patrol cars were already out looking for him. His car was found at the restaurant that he went too...but no sign of Mike could be found. Mathew hung up the phone......he didn't say anything to Ben about the game that Samantha was playing with some madman. From what Sam's note said this game was personal.....friends of both Sam & Matt had been killed with chess piece which matched Sam & Matt's name in their hands.

Mathew flipped the card over.....he saw the maker of the card it was the Valentine Card Company. There was something about that name....something from the past.....Mathew stood up.....he walked over to his filing cabinet pulling out the V section. He pulled out a file on businesses with names being with V. It was times like this that Mathew was glad that Nina was around to keep everything together. Then Mathew found what he was looking for......the address and the owner of the company......it was Alexander Chessmen. Mathew thought for a moment.....chessman.....chess pieces........then he remembered that Chessman once owned a huge company that made games and Mathew knew just were the warehouse was....it was the same warehouse used by the Nazi Spy Ring. Mathew maybe behind Samantha in this game.....but he was hoping to catch up with her very soon.....he was also hoping that she would leave some clues behind to tell him where she was headed for next.

Samantha stepped down off the pier onto the sands below. The tide hadn't long gone out and there were still pools of water randomly spread. She slipped her heels off and hearing a voice a little off in the distance, she looked up. One man had his back to her. At least she thought it was a man. Someone else appeared to be lying on the floor and for a moment she thought she was too late. then she saw the body on the ground move; squirm a little.

Samantha started to move closer but remembering what 'Mr King' had said in his note... 'Kill or be killed'.... She eased her pistol out of her pocket. Matt had insisted that if she was going to be working as a PI with him, in this city, she needed a gun. And then he had fought her how to use it. He drove the them up into the Hollywood hills one morning, Samantha asking him where the heck they were going all the way. Matt had picked out some remote spot and had set up some targets - bottles and cans. She was never going to be the greatest shot in the world but eventually Matt taught her enough... he hoped. Now she was going to find out.

As she closed in on the man, she noticed that he kept looking at his watch. Then she was close enough to see that there was a man on the ground and she was close enough to hear what the one standing up was saying. She lifted her gun slowly and aimed it squarely between the man's shoulders.

"I'll give you $2000 if you just put the gun down and walk away." The man span around. Samantha saw that it wasn't a man...it was a boy, a teenager. He aimed the gun at her. Samantha wasn't sure what it was, but something told her that he wasn't going to listen or bargain. He was going to shoot. She lowered her aim a fraction, aiming for the kid's leg, and she squeezed the trigger.

The teenager was dead before he hit the floor. Matt had always said her aim was pretty useless and he'd joked to Mike that the only real safe place to be when she fired was directly behind her. It wasn't quite that bad, but her aim for the thigh finished up putting a bullet straight through his chest. She closed her eyes for a moment and took a breath and then became aware of the man squirming on the ground. She put the pistol away and went over to him. She didn't look at him really but focused on untying his feet and hands. Only when he called her by name, did she look.

"oh my... David." before she could say anything else she was being hugged by him... She was hugging him back. It had been a while. They had dated for a few months, but he didn't like the work she did... Either in court or with Matt. And eventually he gave her an ultimatum, it was no choice at all as far as Samantha was concerned. He thanked her profusely as they stood up.

"Don't mention it." she was already looking around for the next note as David started jabbering on about what had happened to him.

David was just so happy to be alive that he couldn't stop thanking Samantha and even as she was looking around for the next message which was in the young man's coat he continued rambling on. Sure when they first started dating David was against Samantha doing the kind of work that she wanted too......but now he was damn glad that she kept doing it. " Samantha I can't thank you enough.......he was going to kill me and I don't even know why.....I've never even seen this guy before! "

The message inside the pocket of this now dead young man reads.

" Ms. Bishop.........I would have been greatly disappointed if you hadn't killed this hood. He was on the fast track to a life of crime.....he's been beating and robbing old people around his neighborhood.....in fact 3 elderly women have been put in the hospital because of him.....so don't feel bad about taking his life.....you've saved an innocent one that would have died in minutes. Your next game begins in 20 minutes.....just outside of town is the old Chessman Games Warehouse. This is were your final two games will be played.....at stake are the lives of people whom you see everyday....these are people you truly care about so don't be late. " Signed Mr. King

Mathew pulled his car up to the old Valentine Cards Warehouse.....the LA City Fire Department was just getting the fire under control. Sergeant Ben Warren was on the scene taking notes when Mathew came up to him. Ben told Mathew that Arnold Sims was taken from his apartment then tied up in this warehouse.....it was then set on fire after which Samantha came out of no where and saved Arnie.....she then disappeared just as quickly as she showed up. Being at this old warehouse brought back memoirs for both Ben & Mathew.....they had both been in on the raid that night...along with Samantha & Mike Grant. Sam came to Matt's office earlier that day with proof that Ryan Chessman was working with the Nazi's....but she also found out that Arthur Rooker was working for them. Mathew had set up this raid with Mike & Ben.......they had 10 police officers and 4 FBI agents with them when they hit the warehouse. The gun battle broke out quickly with 2 of the police being killed in the first shots.....but it didn't end there. Ryan & Arthur made their escape or so they thought....Sam who was also there spotted them and grabbed Matt & Mike. They chased the pair down to the Pacific Pier where Mathew killed Ryan....Mike had shot Arthur.....his body fell into the water and was never found.....but he lived and was now working for Mr. King.

She headed over to where the boy lay and rolled him over onto his back. She didn't know why but she checked his pockets just in case.

"It's ok, David. I'm afraid someone is playing a game. This actually has nothing to do with you... Nothing except the fact that once upon a time you knew me." she found what she was looking for and stood up, envelope in her hand.

"What! Why? What's going on Sam?" 20 minutes. Chessman warehouse. She looked at her watch. Then at David. he was standing with his hands out, asking to know what's going on.

"I'm sorry David, I don't have time to explain." She looked down at his hands and was about to look away when she saw the pawn. And then it clicked. Jill had said a castle, but wasn't a castle it was a rook. Ryan. The Valentine Warehouse. Arthur Rooker. Pacific Pier. David... Now the games warehouse. But who in gods name was Mr King? And people she cared about most. Matt. Nina. Mike. With Matt away...

"I'm sorry David. I have to go. Friends of mine... They're... In trouble." she turned to leave, then looked at the card, then the body. She bent down and put the card back in the boys pocket and then headed back to her car.

Mathew was still at the Valentine Cards Warehouse when Ben get a call over his radio. Jill Monroe's parents had called the station to report that their daughter had been kidnapped then found by Samantha Bishop. Since Mike had disappeared the station notified Ben as he was the highest ranking Sergeant on duty. Ben went to Mathew with this news....he wanted to know what was happening......it was then that Matt told him everything that he knew. Mathew said that he believed someone from the past was playing a deadly game....and with Nina & Mike disappearing he felt that they were part of this game. He then showed Ben the invitation that Samantha received this morning in the mail.

Mathew & Ben started talking about Alexander Chessman.....the man who loved to play games. His business empire was built on board games......Chessman Games had become one the largest companies in the world which made board games. Ben told Mathew that after his son's death and his business fell apart...Alexander spent time in a mental hospital up north....that was the last time anyone heard about him. Mathew was working this case out in his head.....it was all coming together....the chess pieces were the key. The Knight & Bishop pieces found in the hands of Matt & Sam's dead friends......the pawn stamp on the back of Arnie's right hand....the Valentine Warehouse . As Mathew thought about what happened that night he remembered the chase which lead to the Pacific Pier. " Come on Ben!! " Mathew said as he started running towards his car....Ben didn't understand what was up until Matt said they should go to the Pacific Pier where Ryan & Rooker were killed. Ben jumped into his car along two other police officers then they pulled out heading for the pier.

As she drove across town, the events of the past started playing out in her mind. The time she had with Ryan. Then stumbling on the spy ring. Going to Matt. Samantha couldn't help but smile a little. Matt was the third PI she had gone to looking for some help, but he was the first that took her seriously. The first two had dismissed what she was saying... told her how she didn't really understand the nature of crime and how the criminal mind worked. That kind of business needed to be left to men. Matt had taken her seriously though. And the Chessman case had become their first.

She pulled up outside the factory 15 minutes later. It was a ruin of it's former self. Alexander Chessman would turn in his grave... Sam stopped herself. Was Alex dead? Was she assuming... He'd finished up in the asylum somewhere in Washington state hadn't he? If he wasn't dead... Suddenly the last piece perhaps fell into place. Was Alex Mr King? She looked around. It looked deserted. No cars. No obvious fresh tracks. But somewhere here supposedly...

Samantha started to walk around the outside of the warehouse, looking for a way in. It didn't take long. She stepped inside the dim, damp building,

"Mike?... Nina? .... anyone here...Michael?"

When Samantha came into the old Chessman Games Warehouse Mr. King was able to see her every move. She didn't know it at the time but a closed circuit television camera was watching her. " Ohhhhhh my.......Samantha you are still very beautiful. " Mr. King said to himself then he reached out for a microphone so he could speak with Samantha. " It's good too see you Ms. Bishop.......I'm glad that you've joined me. " A booming voice said over a loud speaker which hung down near the camera that was watching Samantha.

" Since I'm sure that you still have your weapon......please pull it out and toss it away........then strip down to your bra & panties......you'll not be needed clothes since the two remaining games are inside. " Again the voice boomed around the room....it was clear that this man wanted too see Samantha stripped......and indeed he did. Alexander Chessman always had a deep desire for Samantha.....even though she was dating his son...Alex couldn't keep his hands to himself when she was around. Maybe now he would finally get the chance to use that sweet....sexy body that he longed for. " Once you're stripped......please walk towards the freight elevator......go down to the lower level then step out.....move down the hallway then enter the 4th door on your left......there the next game will be played. " After giving the orders the booming voice cut out......but the camera stayed on Samantha....it would follow her until she was inside the elevator and heading down.

In the room where Samantha would be going.....she would find Nina standing on a game board......but not just any game board.....this was a chess board.......large enough to almost fill the room. She was standing on the last square in the back row.....she would be on Samantha's left hand side after coming into the room. Nine was tied with a rope around her upper body which covered her arms.....she didn't know what happened too her.....she just woke up standing in this odd room.

Samantha jumped as the voice suddenly filled the room. She looked around quickly... left... right... scouring the room but of course there was nothing. As she looked around she pulled her gun out of her pocket and crouched down slowly, placing it quietly on the floor.

"Alex? Alexander? Is that you? What is this?" There was no answer for a moment before she slowly eased out of her dress again for the second time that day. She let it drop to the floor and then followed the instructions. Inside the elevator, she pushed the button for the basement. Half a minute later, she stepped out and then talked down the hallway. Before she went through the next door, she took a breath, holding the handle for a moment. She exhaled and then pushed the door open slowly.

Inside the room she saw Nina in the corner at the far side, standing upright but tied. But there was something strange about the floor. Larger than usual square floor tiles. No. Not tiles. It was a ... a chess board that almost covered the whole floor. Samantha looked around. Nothing.

"Nina'" she called in a whisper. No response. Samantha looked around again and then stepped forward. There was a sudden noise and Samantha stepped back quickly and looked across to Nina. Her body jerked a little and dropped as the floor suddenly disappeared from under her. Samantha squealed, thinking for a moment that Nina was about to disappear, but she didnt. Her body stopped sharply as the rope held her... but for how long. Samantha looked again and thought for a moment and then moved to what she thought was C1 stepping on to it tentatively. When nothing happened she released a breath that she didn't even realize she was holding. Samantha then began to move... slowly at first... diagonally to F4 and then to B8. That put her right next to Nina. Nina was awake but gagged. It took Samantha a few minutes, but she managed somehow to pull her over so that she could stand again and then she undid the ropes around her and finally the gag.

Nina sobbed, hugging Samantha, trying in between the sobs to tell her that she didn't know what had happened. Samantha hugged Nina back for a few moments.

"Its ok. Nina... NINA... " she broke the hug and looked at her friend. "Can you find your own way out of here?" She looked at her for a moment but Nina said nothing. "Nina. I need you to get out of here ok? Can you find your own way out." Finally Nina nodded. They gave each other one final hug and then Nina headed back out the way that Samantha had come in. As Samantha watched her go, she took another deep breath and then looked around, wondering whether there was going to be more instructions or whether she was now being left to her own devices. And she was sure it was MIke that she had to find next.

Back
Top Bottom