Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Sky's Still Free [[Midori & rage0976]]

Midori

Super-Earth
The sounds of heavy breathing and moans could be heard coming from the room, and in the low lamplight, two bodies seemed to glow as they moved together. The man was handsome enough, a young officer in his mid-twenties with sandy blond hair and soft brown eyes, and the woman, well it was no secret why she was one of the most sought after and popular companions in the 'verse. She was a delicate looking creature, with soft womanly curves and long black hair that hung like silk down her back; a pair of bright blue eyes glittered in the lamplight, and her slender fingers ran along the man's chest. Ariana Mari was a lovely woman, and she was entertaining a young Captain Isaac Gregor this evening. It was their last time together before she would take her leave, and it seemed that Isaac was making the most it. Ariana let out a moan as she pulled away, and she noticed him glancing at the clock. "Stay with me." He begged, but she simply smiled, stroking his cheek. "I can't. And you know that." The young man looked crestfallen, but there wasn't much she could do about it.

She quietly slid from the bed, reaching for the robe that hung there. Isaac was a first time client, and Ariana was used to such arrangements being difficult. Young first time clients tended to become slightly attached to the beautiful woman they spent time with, which made the end all the more difficult and uncomfortable. At least he'd not been offended or attempted to make a rude comment to relieve his embarrassment and disappointment. The weekend long engagement had given her an opportunity to do more than see a client, and while no one would suspect it, Ariana had been gathering information again. One didn't think twice about speaking of such things in the company of a companion, especially one so popular, and she was in the unique position of knowing whether certain officials really did put their pants on one leg at a time. As she tied the robe at her waist, Ariana turned to face Isaac, who was doing the same. "Thank you." He took her hands, and she bowed slightly, a signature quirk. "Feel free to call on me again sometime."

She left the room, going to her own room to clean up and get dressed. She had one hour to prepare to meet her contact, a transport captain who would be taking her to her next engagement in exchange for the information. In her own room, she performed her cleansing ritual, her things already packed neatly into trunks that could be easily carried to the ship. She dressed rather quickly, though the five foot five inch woman seemed as though it would take hours for her to look as fresh and delicate as she did. Ariana was dressed in a soft blue dress that draped lightly over her frame, and her long hair was twisted up off her neck. The light scent of lavender perfume emanated from her skin. Her contact was to meet her at her room, under the guise of mere transportation, and they would go from there.

-----------------------------------------------------​

"We'll be setting down on Beaumonde in about ten minutes, Cap'n. Gonna dock at New Dunsmuir." The voice that came over the com was soft and feminine, unlike the small young woman who spoke. Antoinette Dale, called Toni by the crew, announced their arrival with a tone that indicated just how pleased she was to be on the planet. Normally the sort of person who liked new passengers and new adventures, their last run in with the Alliance had left a bad taste in Toni's mouth. When the captain arrived on the bridge, she gave him a pleading glance. "I know we're supposed to pick up a passenger, Cap'n, but I don't like docking here. Place'll be crawling with Alliance, especially since they were having that shindig."

Toni had been raised outside Serenity Valley on Hera, and she bore deep resentment for the Alliance. Like many on the planet, she'd come from a farming family, and her family had been resistant to unification. The Alliance had taken over the farm during the Unification War, and even though they'd eventually returned the property, the Alliance had charged the Dales a hefty price. Resentment ran deep. Even though she was young, only nineteen, she'd been piloting the ship for three years, having taken over after the previous pilot decided that it would be more profitable to fly luxury liners.

"So we're picking up a companion." Toni commented as they docked. "Wonder what she'll be like." Even as her captain prepared to leave the ship, it was clear that she was not leaving with him. They needed this to run smooth, and the fiery little pilot's temper, tended to make things not run smooth.

The sounds of the engine groaning in protest as they started docking roared through the old ship, causing the captain to pause as he perked his right eyebrow. After a moment he shrugged and turned to Toni once more. "Does it matter? She's payin' well enough. She could be a bearded lady for all I care long as she has the gorram money I was promised." Captain Caleb Randall wasn't known for being particularly well mannered most of the time, or too picky about his passengers as long as they could pay and didn't make his life more interesting than he cared for it to be. As he made his way to the cargo bay he managed to tune out Tori's rambling, having grown used to her over the years to the point that he could more or less turn her voice off in his head.

Caleb was met by a huge man in the bay with a giant wrench slung in a case across his back. Giving the man a nod, he looked back toward the engine room. "How's she holdin' up, Bruno?" The large man gave a shrug. "She'd hold up a lot better if you'd get the parts I asked for." Caleb rolled his eyes as he pushed past the man to head to his bunk so he could clean up. "Just make sure my gorram ship doesn't blow up." Bruno sighed and walked back toward the engine room, shoulders slumped a bit. "So unappreciated..."

Entering his bunk, Caleb removed his shirt, searching for something a bit more suitable. He pulled his shoulder length chestnut hair into a ponytail and tied it before going about picking out his clothes so he could look respectable. After spending a few minutes, he had managed to don a costume that he considered respectable at least, a simple set of tight pants, knee high soldier boots, and a nice coat that was long enough to cover his sidearm with a button down white shirt and bolo tie. As the ship set down he made his way to the cargo bay again, waiting patiently with his hands locked behind his back for them to be cleared so he could open the door.

After an hour or so answering customs, Caleb was finally allowed to pass, following the directions he had been given until he stood at a doorway. He raised his hand to knock, pausing for a moment to put his ear to the door, listening for any sounds within that might hint at an ambush of some sort. After all, he had made his share of enemies over the years. Once he was satisfied that nobody was inside waiting to give him a few extra holes, he tapped the door with his knuckles, waiting for a response.

Ariana moved the trunks to the door of her room, eager to be out of this place. There was something unsettling about being surrounded by Alliance soldiers. The young woman, who was twenty three years old, had never been quite as ease since she landed three days ago, though no one would've been able to to tell. Perhaps it was because her adoptive brother had become a soldier, and then had been subsequently injured badly. The Alliance had shuttled him off to some hospital and ignored him, leaving her adoptive father, who still dedicated his life to a project that had gone terribly wrong, to manage his son's health care from a wheelchair. Ariana's loyalty was no longer to the government, though most were not aware of it. She heard the knock at the door and opened it slowly.

Taking in Caleb's appearance, Ariana determined that he was indeed her contact. "Captain Randall, I presume." She said in a soft voice, everything about her indicating elegance and refinement. "I'm Ariana Mari." She offered him her hand, nodding slightly. After a few moment, the young woman turned and beckoned him into the room, closing the door behind her. There room itself was quite elegant and well furnished, suitable accommodations for a highly prized and popular companion. "As per our arrangement, I will pay for transport to Bellerophon. I also have managed to obtain so rather useful information, though I'd rather not discuss that here. The walls have ears." She wore a serene expression.

That expression was highly practiced, and she had become quite good at pretending to be unaffected by almost anything. The yound woman was a certified genius, and after her adoption at the age of eight, she'd rocketed through schooling; her adoptive father was Dr. Elijah Mari, who'd worked on "Pax" and was now currently working with a secret panel of doctors the Alliance had formed to find a way to reverse it. She had been very close to her father, before the accident that left him paralyzed from the waist down, but after her adoptive sister married a high ranking official a rift grew in the family. Once a top medical student at the young age of eighteen, Ariana left just before starting her residency. At the request of her father, she'd changed careers in a way, moving from Osiris to Sihnon, where she'd trained to become a companion, despite her stronger desire to become a doctor. She'd developed a serene mask to disguise her feelings, and it rarely changed or fell.​

Caleb blinked a few times, his eyes taking a moment to assess the young woman before him. Finally he found his voice as he stepped into the room behind her. "You ain't no bearded lady, I'll give you that." He then followed up quickly, realizing she might be slightly offended by the remark. "Ignore that. I was thinkin' about somethin' else." The captain took a moment to look around the room, looking for anything that seemed suspicious. Once he was satisfied that all was right, he looked to Ariana once more. "You sure you wanna leave all this fanciness behind to go trottin' halfway across the verse? Don't seem like the kind of thing a companion would be doin' less she's wantin' to get away from somethin'."

His demeanor was civil at best, even polite, but he was obviously a bit rough around the edges, though it lent to his allure in a way. The man was handsome, there was no doubt, even as roguish as he looked. His long chestnut hair, sea green eyes, and just the hint of stubble from having not shaved in a day or two gave him a rugged appeal. The way he carried himself told that there was something more to him though. He was intelligent, despite the way he spoke, and his gaze revealed a cunning mind behind the facade. The strangest thing was his posture, not at all like a brigand, but more like a mix between an upper class citizen and a soldier, head held high and back straight. Finally, he moved with extreme grace, not at all like the average space scavenger. His gestures were precise and fluid as he walked around and spoke. There was something definitely different about this man, something that didn't quite make sense.

Ariana arched an eyebrow, obviously he was confused, unless he was trying to make an offer. "You must've misunderstood. Captain, I am simply going from here to another engagement on Bellerophon. Although..." Her voice trailed off slightly, as she contemplated the idea of getting away from the world she was living in now. Picking up her things and traveling the 'verse would offer her a wider range of clientele, and it would allow her to escape the confines of her current life, where engagements tended to force her into running into her adoptive sister more often than she liked. It wasn't as though she hadn't considered it before, and this man seemed to be making the offer she'd been looking for. At one time she'd been offered the opportunity to work on a luxury liner, but she'd turned the offer down, not wishing to become nothing more than a traveling whore with little choice in her clients. Ariana was respectable, and she found nothing wrong with the life she led, regardless of what many said.

"I have been looking for a ship."
She said softly, her eyes scanning him for a moment. "You see, I'd like to expand my clientele, and to put it plainly, I'd like to be able to see more of the 'verse. Something I can't do if I must rely on transportation within the central planets." It wasn't exactly a lie, for she did have those sorts of desires, but she did want to get away. Ariana considered the prospect of perhaps renting a shuttle on his ship; it would of course depend on his ship, whether it was reliable and whether the shuttle had sufficient range and reliability to allow her to travel to her engagement and back again. She'd also insist on the usual, privacy and reliability, that she be able to keep her engagements and not be disturbed.​

The captain blinked once more, taken slightly off guard by the sudden musings of the companion. He recovered quickly enough, pacing a bit with his hands locked behind his back as he thought it over. "Hmm...so you're sayin' you wanna find someone to travel with on a more permanent basis." He couldn't deny the opportunities that having a registered companion would offer, giving him access to ports that wouldn't let most ships dock without one. And the constant income would be welcome, given the upkeep of a ship could be expensive, not to mention feeding the crew. While her rent alone would only cover a portion of these expenses, it was one less portion he had to make taking jobs that were less than legal.

After a few minutes of pacing and contemplating, Caleb turned to Ariana once more. "Tell you what. Let's get you where you gotta go, see how well you take to the crew and vice versa, and after you've had your...thing...we'll discuss the possibility of a long term arrangement." With that he turned on his heel to exit, grabbing two of her trunks to drag along with him. At least it seemed there was a bit of a gentleman somewhere in there. "We'd better be movin' along. Don't want those dock hounds having too long to hang around my ship. Not that I got anything to hide, but I don't like 'em lookin' all the same."

"Yes, Captain, that is precisely what I'm saying." She watched him pace back and forth, clearly contemplating the prospect. There was much to be gained by having her rent a shuttle, giving the ship more respectability and opening the doors to ports and planets that were often less than enthused to have strangers docking. "That sounds most agreeable." She didn't react to his calling her engagement a "thing"; the companion was rather accustomed to individuals having difficulty understanding her work. She was also accustomed to disapproval. While she wasn't incredibly eager to go to Bellerophon, given the nature of her engagement and the man who'd asked for her, she was eager to get off Beaumonde and away from the Alliance soldiers.

Picking up the third and fourth trunk, both much lighter than two Caleb had taken, Ariana followed behind. She carried her make-up and other accessories in one trunk, and in other her more personal belongings; to the outside world it would look as if she were simply off to another engagement. As they finally arrived at his ship, Ariana paused taking a last look at the docks before following him on board. She was greeted by a small young woman of nineteen, who was shoving blond curls into clasp at her neck as the doors closed behind her. "So this is the passenger you called "Ambassador" when we announced our intention to dock. She sure don't look like no bearded lady." Toni laughed, extending her hand. "Antoinette Dale, pilot of the Sovereign, pleasure to meet ya. Folks call me Toni cause it's easier to remember." Ariana smiled politely at the blond, shaking her hand, her eyebrow arched delicately at the bearded lady comment. "Ariana Mari."

There was a cough from the shadows, and an older woman dressed in black stepped out. Cora Henely merely glanced at Ariana, wrinkling her nose slightly. Graying black hair tied into a tight bun behind her, the ship's medic glared at passed her at Caleb; it was rather clear that Cora did not approve of companions.​

Caleb just rolled his eyes at the medic as he hauled the trunks aboard and placed them to the side in the cargo bay, not really having an opinion about companions one way or the other. The ship, called the Sovereign, was a DC-88 Drake, similar to a Firefly class, but a bit more advanced. Captain Randall had spend his entire savings to buy her and get her space worthy after finding her in a shipyard. He knew the moment he laid eyes on her that she was the one he wanted. Pausing for a moment, Caleb looked to toward the engine room and called out. "Bruno! Come help me with this stuff!" He then looked around a moment, furrowing his brow slightly. "Where the hell is Gabe? Ain't seen him all damn day!"

From one of the catwalks in the cargo bay came another voice, a man speaking with a very proper tone. "Right here, Captain." The man who had spoken looked to be in his mid thirties, having short and neatly cropped black hair with a stylishly trimmed goatee. Caleb wrinkled his nose as he dropped the trunks, looking up at the man. "You need to quit with the disappearin' acts." Gabe simply offered a cheeky grin and turned to walk toward the bridge, drawing a frown from Caleb, who then turned toward the engine room and called out again. "Bruno! Get your ass out here ya damn ape!"

The large man who came running from the back stopped as he saw the companion, running a hand over his clean shaven scalp and looking away, a bit shy it seemed. Caleb simply pinched the bridge of his nose with his thumb and forefinger, shaking his head. "So if you can manage to get over your little crush can you please take this stuff to one f the shuttles. Lady's paying well to rent one for the trip." Bruno gave a nod, hoisting the two trunks easily and carrying them to one of the shuttles. The captain then turned back to Ariana. He was young for a ship's captain, maybe thirty at the most, though it looked more like he was in his late twenties, but his presence was that of a much more commanding individual. "You can go ahead and start gettin' situated. We'll be lifting off in a few." He then turned on his heel to retire to his bunk without another word, leaving the companion to get to know the crew a bit.

Cora muttered something that sounded distinctly like "Whore" before stalking off; Ariana was quite sure that there would be no befriending the woman. Despite the fact she was used to such comments, it bothered her that it was the ship's medic who didn't approve of her. Ariana wanted so desperately to be a doctor, and yet she was trapped in another role, one that was not entirely of her choosing. Turning her attention away from the retreating back of the woman, Ariana granted a small smile to Bruno. She offered a hand to him, and when he took it she felt the rough callouses that came from hard work. "You must be the man who keeps the ship in the sky." She could tell that he was shy and nervous, and it did not help that Toni was ribbing him about it. "Come on Bruno. She's just a woman. No offense ma'am." Smiling, Ariana shook her head. "I'm no ma'am. Please just call me Ariana." Toni laughed, nodding at her.

Ariana turned her attention to the second man, Caleb had called on, Gabe. He seemed interesting, but she refrained from making judgments just yet. "That fella there is Gabe. He's the first mate. Well I gotta get this bird in the sky." Toni made a gesture to indicate flying, and then she bounded out of the cargo hold. "Now, which one of you fine gentlemen is going to help me get these trunks to the shuttle?" Ariana asked, indicating that if they were going to be lifting off soon, she'd like to get settled into the shuttle. As she waited for a response she looked around, taking stock of the ship. A Drake was a fine transport, with excellent shuttle range and more advanced controls and stability than the Firefly, which she'd expected. The young woman kept the idea of renting a shuttle on a more permanent basis in the back of her mind.​

Bruno already had the two heavier trunks, having lifted them easily as he started toward the shuttle, still blushing a bit from the teasing. Gabe sighed and jumped the rail to the next catwalk down, then from there to the floor as he moved to get the two lighter cases, following Bruno to the shuttle. He gave the companion a charming smile and a wink before doing so, letting on that he didn't mind as much as he made it seem.

Caleb sighed as he sank onto his bunk, stretching a bit as he loosened the bolo tied around his neck. "How the hell do people breathe in these damn things?" Once he was settled in he took a look around his cabin, simply decorated with only the things he needed. Some clothes hung on a rack, there was a footlocker that contained his weapons and other tools of his trade, and that was it for the most part aside from the sink and toilet, both of which retracted into the wall to save space. With one last sigh, the captain closed his eyes and let the hum of the engines play him a lullaby that would eventually lure him to sleep.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we are now breaking atmo. Get comfortable folks." Toni's voice echoed over the com. "Next stop, the central planets, Bellerophon, and far too many blue bellies."

Ariana followed the two men to a shuttle, looking around as they walked. This ship didn't seem to be so terrible, and other than the medic, who seemed to have a great deal of distaste for her, the crew seemed friendly. However, she didn't know what to think of the captain. Caleb didn't carry himself like a lower class man or a criminal, instead he seemed to have the air of a soldier or an upper class citizen; he was a mystery, and she was intent on figuring him out, if she stayed around. As she stepped inside the shuttle, she thanked both Bruno and Gabe, who soon left her to settle in. She could hear the sounds of the engines, and she closed her eyes for a moment.

The shuttle seemed spacious enough, with plenty of room to move about. She sat in the chair by the cortex screen, accessing The Guild connection and viewing her clients. Soon she was opening the channel to discuss the engagement on Bellerophon. "Ah, Commander, I am on route to you now. I'd like to discuss the engagement further so that I fully understand." The man on the screen was in his mid-fifties, and she was more than relieved that he was not technically the client. "It's simple Miss Mari. I want you to make my son a man. He's damn near twenty-five, and he's still not bedded a woman." Ariana held up a hand, nodding and giving him the serene smile she wore on so many occasions. "I believe I understand Commander. I'm sure that I'll be able to help." She closed the connection and stood up to go about the business of settling in.​

Caleb had soon fallen asleep, and rested soundly, though it was only for a short time before he woke in a cold sweat, not sure if he had called out in his sleep or not, but just glad the nightmare was over. Shaking his head to clear it a bit, he stood and paced around his cabin for a few minutes before finally climbing out and heading for the galley to see if he could find some food.

After a few minutes of rummaging, he managed to gather some fresh veggies and some steaks that they'd managed to acquire during a recent job. He then went about preparing some of the steaks, apparently having more skills than simply running a ship. Once everything was done and the dinner table was set, he got on the comm. "Dinner's ready folks. Toni, put her on auto, everyone come eat." He had made it a point to prepare the vegetables as well as the steaks, knowing that not all of his crew ate meat, and not entirely sure if the companion would.

The smell of incense filled the shuttle as Ariana sat quietly reading. She needed to relax and change out of her dress so that she would not damage it. After all, it was an expensive gift from a very appreciative client, and she liked to keep her clothes looking nice. Eventually she changed into a long deep blue skirt that swept around her ankles, a soft blue tunic style shirt with wide sleeves that hugged her torso, and a pair of matching flats. A silver scarf was tied around her waist, and she let her hair down to hang smoothly over her shoulder. The young woman heard the captain's announcement, and she slowly made her way out of the shuttle, quickly finding her way toward the galley.

"Smells good in here, Captain." She remarked as she stepped in the room. "I'm a fair hand in the kitchen myself; I wouldn't mind helping out at some point." A few moments later, Toni came trotting in, greeting both Ariana and Caleb with a smile. She too remarked that it smelled good, and then she took her customary seat at the table. It wasn't long until Cora entered the room, and she was far less chipper and cheerful, greeting Ariana with a cold stare. The older woman was very old-fashioned. "Captain." She nodded to Caleb, then took a seat as far away from Ariana as possible.​

"Cora." The captain gave the medic a simple nod as he sat down, looking to Ariana and tilting his head slightly. "Full of surprises huh? I'd welcome the help. We usually take turns with dinner duty anyway...'cept for Bruno. His cookin' ain't exactly edible." Bruno just offered a grin as he entered the galley, saying nothing to the captain's remark and even finding it funny only because it was true. Gabe entered behind him, both of them taking seats at the table and using their forks to grab some steaks.

Caleb paused a minute, looking around at everyone. "Those of you that pray to somethin' are welcome to do so." He then began cutting his steak up and raised a slice to his lips, starting to eat already while Bruno bowed his head and said grace silently. Gabe followed the captain's example, not bothering with any prayer, but simply tearing into his food. The men remained silent for the most part during dinner, though there was the occasional light conversation, or questions about how the engine was holding up.

Caleb finally looked to Ariana as he rested his forearms on the table for a moment. "So I've been thinkin' about that offer. If you wanna travel with us I can probably rent you that shuttle on a more long term basis. Won't hurt to have a companion around, get us into ports that we normally wouldn't be welcome at. And the extra income don't hurt none either." He went back to eating, cutting each piece of steak meticulously, apparently a creature of habit when it came to certain things.

"Before I became," She paused, glancing over at Cora, who was looking rather disgusted at the idea of what Ariana had become. "Before I left home, I took care of my father, cooking included. Hard for the man to cook from a wheelchair." She looked down for a moment, as if collecting her thoughts. The truth was that Ariana was not fond of thinking about her father, not lately. The last time she was on Osiris, her adoptive sister had practically forced her out of the home the moment she arrived. It was Tabitha's fault that Ariana had become a companion; the constant fights had led her father to ask her to choose another path, to find a way to separate herself from her sister. Ariana took an empty seat, reaching for a steak and some vegetables.

Toni bowed her head as she sat next to Bruno, saying a silent prayer, and she looked up to see that everyone else was eating. Ariana whispered a soft prayer, more out of habit than faith it seemed, and then she began to eat. Her movements were delicate and graceful; she was every bit the lady. Years of practice allowed her to pretend to be something fragile and graceful, even though she'd always been quite different. There was a saying on Earth that Was "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players." Ariana played her part well, almost too well for her own tastes. She was good at what she did, and there was some pride in that; but to she wasn't sure how proud she really was.

She looked up as Caleb mentioned the discussion from earlier, and she was well aware that the eyes of the crew were upon her as well. She could almost feel Cora's cold glare, boring a hole right through her. "Oh?" She put down her fork for a moment."Well, I've seen the shuttle, and it has plenty of space and seems to have good range. I would have certain terms that I must insist upon, but it seems like an excellent arrangement, Captain." Cora shoved her plate aside loudly and stood up. "I seem to have lost my appetite." The tone indicated something much more, and Ariana arched a delicate eyebrow in concern.​

"Captain, wanna go talk to her?" Gabe asked. The captain frowned as Cora left the table, shaking his head a bit. "She can get used to the idea or not. If she wants off my boat I can find another medic. But I got a whole crew to think about, not just cater to one person's preference, and having a companion around will make a lot of things easier for us." He then looked to Ariana and gave a slight nod. "We'll discuss your terms later. Got plenty of time 'tween here an' there to get into it." He then returned to eating his dinner, spending the rest of the meal in silence for the most part.

After dinner, Caleb and Gabe cleaned the table while everyone else returned to their duties, talking a bit between each other but neither really having much to say it seemed. After the table and dishes were cleaned and everything put away, Gabe went to his bunk to do his favorite thing before bed, starting to unpack his weapons as he sat down to clean them thoroughly. Caleb made his way toward Ariana's shuttle, giving a few taps at the door before locking his hands behind his back and waiting patiently for an answer.

The rest of dinner was uncomfortable for Ariana, but she remained serene and silent. Toni also offered to go speak to the unhappy medical officer; Caleb's response to Gabe was response enough for her, however, and she didn't not press the issue. Ariana finished eating rather slowly, indicating that she heard the captain with a small nod. After dinner, she'd attempted to help with the cleaning, but Gabe refused to allow it, insisting that she was primarily a guest at this point. Since she was not able to help, she returned to her shuttle to read and contemplate the prospect of making it a more permanent home.

She was glancing around the shuttle, determining exactly how comfortable it would be to make it into a more permanent place to rest her head, when she heard knock at her door. She would have to get some silk curtains and better bedding, since occasionally he might have a client inside. Those were all things that would be easily purchased; the shuttle could be made suitable, provided her terms could be met by the captain. She went to the door, opening it rather quickly, and beckoned him inside. "Come in, Captain."

Caleb entered the shuttle, looking around for a moment as he seemed to consider the living space, giving a slight, satisfied nod. "I reckon this could make a nice cozy little living space, and it's mobile, allows you to take the brothel to the clientele." He offered a slight grin, letting on the the brothel remark was more a jest than any serious remark about her profession. He walked to the shuttle's bridge, taking a seat and propping his feet on the instrument panel as he leaned back, hands locking behind his head.

"So here's what I'm thinkin'. You bein' on board would make life easier in a lot of ways, but it complicates it in others, so there's gonna need to be compromise. I can't really get into the nature of some of those complications, but let's just say I figure you'd want me to stay out of your business, and I got business of my own that you don't really need to be part of, just as much for your own good as for mine."

He leaned forward, pulling his feet from the control panel to rest them on the floor once more as he looked at her. Naturally he couldn't have her in the middle of his less than legal franchise, so having her would make things a bit more complex as much as it made them easier. After a moment of letting his words sink in he tilted his head slightly. "So tell me your terms..."

She'd turned her back for a moment after he entered, but when he spoke again, she spun to face him, the serene look that typically was painted on her face suddenly gone. "Captain," She snapped, clearly more than a bit touchy when it came to such statements. Though she quickly regained her composure, especially when he seemed to be joking, Ariana did not hide the fact that she didn't not like to be compared with whores. It was a fact of life, that registered companions were different than those not sanctioned by The Guild, and even though they performed very similar roles in the world, there was a distinction. Ariana was no common prostitute.

She listened to his description of the situation, which seemed to be fairly accurate, and the astute woman was well aware that whatever business Caleb wanted her to be kept out of would be illicit and illegal. Reminded of the task she'd performed while on Beaumonde, she walked over to a small box containing incense, and removed a small folded slip of paper. On it was a list of the Alliance patrols and planned inspections for the next three months. The young woman almost felt guilty about taking it from the young officer's coat while he slept, but then again, other than ensuring protection for The Guild, who really didn't require it, what had the Alliance done for her?

"All of that seems fairly straight forward and obvious, Captain. Clearly we both require privacy." She handed him the paper, which smelled faintly of jasmine. "The agreed upon information, fresh from the Alliance." She took a seat on a cushion she'd already set out earlier, the movement graceful and smooth. "As for my terms, they are simple. I insist the utmost privacy, as far as it can be given, for my position and work is so, shall we say, delicate. For as long as I pay the rent, this shuttle will be my home, and I do not wish it to be disturbed. I also insist that when I make an engagement, I am able to keep it; so far as that can be guaranteed. If I cannot keep engagements, then I cannot work." Ariana paused, waiting to see what he might say to such.​

Caleb thought about it for several moments, finally offering a nod in response as he put his feet on the floor once more, leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees to look at her for a moment, perhaps a moment longer than he meant to. Catching himself, he averted his eyes briefly before recomposing himself to meet her gaze once more. "Of course. I can understand your need for keeping appointments, and it's just as important to us to since you'd be the only form of steady income." He leaned back in the seat a bit to study the woman for a moment longer.

"Anything else you'd require? Any other rules I need to know not to break?" The captain was definitely an enigma, seeming every bit the vegabond, but also appearing to be an honorable man in some sense. He was hard to read, unlike most men were, his emotions kept in check and his cards played close to the vest, loathe to endear himself to anyone too much it seemed, but at the same time fiercely loyal and protective of his people, which would include her if she joined them.

"Nothing I can think of, Captain." Ariana stated simply. "However, I'm going to need to do a bit of shopping on Belerophon. While the shuttle is sufficient for my needs, I will need to outfit it with certain necessities. I do hope that perhaps an extra few hours there after I finish my engagement will not be a problem." She needed to purchase some fabric, cushions, and bedding, all of which she could easily acquire while they were planet side. The young woman mentally made a note of the various things she needed to purchase. Taking a deep breath, one final concern entered her mind.

"Captain," her voice stayed soft and calm. "About your medic, she does not seem too pleased to have me on board. I don't want to cause any problems for you, and if I make your crew uncomfortable, I can find another ship." She was genuinely concerned about Cora's behavior, and she needed Caleb to understand that she was willing to leave if need be.

The captain gave a slight nod to her request, leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees once more as he studied the woman again. She was somewhat of an enigma as well, but he wasn't one to pry, so he didn't. "I'm fine with you goin' about gettin' some furnishings for your place. Just try to make it quick if you can. Don't much care to stick around one place longer than I gotta."

He then looked at her thoughtfully when she mentioned her concerns. Taking a moment to consider his answer, the then responded with a light shrug of the shoulders. "Ain't really seein' that it's any concern of hers. My ship, my rules. She don't like it, I ain't keepin' her here. If I say you can stay, then she's gonna have to live with it or move on." He leaned back in the seat once more, raising his hands and locking them behind his head. He was definitely not your average boat captain.

Ariana smiled, nodding slowly as he informed her that she had little to worry about when it came to the medical officer. "As I said earlier, Captain, I simply do not wish to cause any trouble or discomfort." The young woman made it a habit to use a person's title or rank until she was more familiar with him out of respect. Such behavior had taken her quite some time to perfect, and it was a miracle that she'd managed to do so. On the outside, she seemed to be the perfect companion, polite, graceful, serene, and beautiful, but there were times, like earlier in the galley, when she showed another side.

She'd taken notice of the way he looked at her, as though attempting to figure her out, and it made her smile to know that she had still managed to shroud herself in mystery. She too was attempting to make sense of the captain, for he seemed to be more than an ordinary transport captain who dealt in nefarious business on the side. "I think this arrangement will work out quite well, for both of us. Living aboard your ship will give me opportunity to broaden my client base and see more of the 'verse, and I can act as a sort of ambassador for you, allowing you access to ports otherwise unavailable." She didn't mention that any opportunity to escape her life traveling circles around Alliance officers and military galas was a good one.

Caleb sat there for another minute or so, seeming somewhat thoughtful, then stood up and gave Ariana a nod. "Yeah, well, seems like we got ourselves an arrangement then. I'll leave you to your business." He offered her a slight bow before turning to exit the shuttle, just another action that didn't seem to fit his archetype. As he closed the door behind him, he paused outside of it to consider the conversation for a moment, then shrugged gently before heading to his bunk to retire for a few hours.

As the captain climbed down into the small space he called home, he moved to the wall, pulling the sink out to clean his hands before closing it up once more and falling onto his cot. He then sat up after a few minutes and began to remove his clothes, folding them neatly as he set them aside to be cleaned when he had a chance to do so, his boots being placed neatly to the side, and he turned to climb into bed with a sigh, happy to finally be able to get some rest. The next few days would be long, he knew, but perhaps things were looking up.

As the time passed, he thought about the day's events a bit more. Even though the relationship was strictly professional, he had to admit the companion was pleasing to look at, not that Toni wasn't, but she was more like a little sister. If nothing else he could appreciate the view from time to time without feeling guilty. He chuckled softly as he shook his head a bit as he thought to himself. Girl like that ain't gonna give you a second glance, but least she's pleasant company. Might even get a decent conversation from time to time now that ain't got to do with engine parts, or bandages. Eventually sleep did come, the captain feeling more relaxed than he had in a while as he drifted off.

Left alone in her shuttle, Ariana changed into a soft blue chemise and crawled into bed; it had been a long day, well a long weekend, and she was exhausted. She tried to make sense of what had happened, of the captain of the ship she'd just taken up residence on. The incense she'd lit earlier had finally stopped smoking, and she drifted off to sleep.

-------------------------------------------------​

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we are now setting down on Bellerophon, home of the ridiculously wealthy."
Toni's cheerful voice echoed over the com. "We wish the Ambassador a pleasant time, and remind you all that we will be taking off earlier tomorrow morning."

Ariana bid her new shipmates good morning, and after a quick breakfast, left the ship, greeted by a an officer sent by her client to arrange for her arrival. As she was taken away, she couldn't help but wonder what the crew would be doing, perhaps something illicit with the information she'd provided to the captain. But she forced such thoughts from her mind, arranging the skirt of her gown and wishing that the shuttle was already outfitted so that she didn't have to be in this particular clients home. When she arrived at the Commander's estate she was greeted by the man and his son, a nervous but handsome young man.

"Commander, Gregory, I am Ariana Mari; it's a pleasure to meet you."
She made a motion and the officer who'd brought her took the box containing her tea things and other necessities inside, to the room prepared for her. The Commander lifted an eyebrow, and with a derisive snort finally spoke. "Miss Mari, you were asked here for a specific purpose, so if we can just dispense with the niceties," but Ariana cut him off. "Sir, if you wished to dispense with companion traditions, perhaps you shouldn't have asked for a companion. Now if you'll excuse me, Gregory and I will be on our way." She beckoned the young man to show her where they would be going and soon the two vanished into the house.

Back
Top Bottom