Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Hordes of Revenants

Recently I've been thinking about my life and felt, perhaps somewhat perversely, an immense outpouring of gratitude for the people I've met through BMR and the conversations I've had here that have, in some surprising ways, shaped me. For those whom may miss me and those whom I miss, here are some updates about life for the walking dead:

- Part of the reason I stepped away from BMR was taking on a role volunteering with a project aimed at providing healthcare, social and legal services to the local adult homeless population. Without giving away too many incriminating details (and therefore breaking the separation between my socially unacceptable private perversions and my socially acceptable public demeanor) one of the cool things is we've successfully pursued an interdisciplinary model that only a handful of places in the nation have, and even going beyond healthcare and into direct services and legal aid. I have...
-- Gone from being an individual contributor to managing two teams.
-- Stepped up to represent the project at several events.
-- Developed a network encompassing social workers, healthcare professionals, attorneys and civil servants.
-- Been reimbursed for speaking events (for the first time in my life, people have paid to hear my thoughts).
-- Begun to establish myself as a, and someone actually called me this during a formal event, "thought leader" among my area's direct service providers and advocates.
- I finally got over my ex-girlfriend, which has taken just about a year now, and have gotten out of my shell to pursue wonderful, smart, engaging women.
- I've turned lemons into lemonade at work through finagling my way to a new manager while retaining the same responsibilities. My previous manager was, and is, intellectually and professionally lazy. He has all the work ethic of an empty jar.
- I've developed a morning routine where I play blues guitar (very badly), actually make breakfast and read a little with enough time to get about my business on time.
- My side business has taken off a little in the last six months, which is to say, my partner and I make more money than we spend on it and it pays for my groceries and utilities on a consistent basis while allowing room for reinvestment. We even have a handful of regular business clients!
- While not sober, I never feel like I need to drink anymore (not necessarily a new development, but a continued one I'm proud to maintain).
- I've stopped drinking coffee which has significantly improved my quality of sleep.
- I even lost weight.

The thing is, when I joined BMR, I was being an idiot. If you look through this thread you'll see that. I found a lot of emotional support here, as well as a certain amount of much needed catharsis, and a place where I can be honest about a side of myself I am loathe to share with anyone I know IRL. The personally and professionally meaningful things I've accomplished in the last six months, year, four years have all in some way been colored with the support I received here.

Thank you.

*so many hugs*

I've always known you were meant for great things. And I'm glad that others see it and that all of this is happening for you. Goes to show that if you truly have a goal, it can be achieved if you're resourceful and unafraid to both persevere and be introspective. Anyway, you know I'm always in your corner. And I'm definitely glad to have gotten to know you from here as well as worked with you here. : )

Back
Top Bottom