Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Mercenaries (sinfulrook & Loveme)

sinfulrook

Supernova
"Sir, we have company..."

"Hm? Who would want to fight a random mercenary?"

"The banner seems to be one of the Sarranid Sultanate, Emir Dhiyul."

"What would that old man want with me? No matter, this battle shall end quickly..."

Leonardo was just a simple mercenary, born and raised in the plains and frozen tundras of the Kingdom of Nords. When he was very young, he became an orphan, due to one of the lords killing his father and taking away his mother into slavery, who was later killed due to the harshness of the lord. He didn't know his surname, so people simply called him Leo, the lion of the tundras. As he slowly grew up, he was taught how to fight, and not just with his bare hands, with weapons as well. He was an excellent swordsman and archer, but lacked in skill with throwing javelins or axes, or even knives. As he turned to be old enough to leave his pack, he ventured out for adventure, seeking jobs from one place to the next, letting the work take him wherever. He eventually was joined by a few people, and so he finally had his own band of mercenaries, small at first, but it slowly grew larger and larger with each passing month.

Now being at the age of 26, Leo was travelling with his large group of mercenaries, fighting battles wherever they came. He has seen men dying left and right, arrows whizzing right by his face, he has even held a defenseless woman in his arms and watched her die from an arrow in the back. He has seen a lot of action, and was considered a veteran fighter already, despite his young age.

Today, he was just relaxing with his crew, chatting, eating, laughing, dancing, and just sharing tales and jokes with each other. He knew his men well, and they were a fine pair of recruits that have learned to eventually fight as well as he has. The celebrating was interrupted by one of the scouts who has reported the approach of Emir Dhiyul. With a heavy sigh, he rose to his feet, his muscles barely straining since he was so used to the chainmail armor that he has worn for the longest time. His long brown hair reached just past his shoulders, his beard almost non-existent since he shaved just a few days ago. As the wind blew, his hair waved, and his sky blue eyes fixed on the horizon that the scout pointed towards.

"Men, gear up! We shall not let this old man take us by surprise." He spoke in a proud voice, reaching for his sword and shield. His men all smiled and cheered for him, slowly getting up as well. "I shall see to it, that this man is taken down by my hand! We shall be victorious!" He shouted and raised his sword up high above his head, the blade hovering horizontally over his head. "To arms!" He said one last time and watched as all his men began to gear up, and he did as well. After grabbing his bow, quiver, shield, sword, and helmet, he got on his horse and began riding towards the enemy, but slowly enough so that his troops can march with him.

Most of the Lord's men asked what her job was and he simply told them "She is here for looks and my use." That's exactly what she was there for. She had been a prisoner of the Lord for little over a year now. He captured her when his men and him were raiding a town, taking the woman for their liking. The ones that they did'nt want, they killed. Her family was killed, leaving her to be taken by the Lord. At first she was fiesty, disobeyed every chance she got.

Katana had given up all hope of ever being freed or rescued, so she stopped disobeying and started following. The lord used this to his advantange. He brought her along on most of their fights, of course he didnt let her go in with out any training in war. So during the year, he taught her enough to live. Keeping the secrets to killing to himself, in fear she would react against him. During her time in the war's, she was bound at the wrists and tied to his horse.

The enemy always came straight for her, trying to help her. This is when he took his chance. Killing each and every one that came close to her. Times she had tried to escape, and she had managed to come out with more bruises and cuts then most of his men. Shaking softly, she was now thinking back to her time with him. Maybe today, she would be freed.... Let go... Only she could wish. Her hands were bound tightly by ropes, running almost all the way to her elbows. The end hooked around the Lord's straddle.

He pulled her along, she had no choice but to follow. He kept her clean, most of the time. Her long black hair fell around her face. Her olive green eyes looked out in the distance. She could see the Mercernaries coming closer, closer and closer to their death. She was Twenty-23, still young.

As the lord's men came into sight of Leo's men, he halted them, as did Emir Dhiyul. Leo moved his horse forward for a few paces, in front of his men who had their shields up, and his archers just behind them, their bows drawn and arrows ready to fire. Leo lifted his helm off his head, his brown hair falling out of it and waving in the breeze. His sky blue eyes fixed on the old man just yards away from him.

"What is it you want, Emird Dhiyul?" Leo asked with a loud voice, noticing there was someone squirming around a bit behind his horse.

"You were the one who raided my village, you are responsible for those deaths! I have come for your head Lion!" The Lord shouted and drew his sword, raising it and making his men charge on foot.

"So be it..." He said to himself and put his helmet back on, drawing his sword and making his horse backtrack just past his men. "Archers! Fire!" He commanded his men and soon enough, twenty arrows went flying, whizzing over his men's heads, going right past them. The arrows hit in front of the Lord's men, behind them, and some even hit them, bringing them down instantly. As their forces began to dwindle, Leo ordered his men to slowly advance with shields raised as defense against the Lord's archers.

Leo advanced slowly behind his men, holding his shield up as well, the arrows missing him almost completely. The clashing of swords and maces and other weapons soon started to echo through the field. Leo and his men were not easy to beat down, his men were slashing and killing all of Emir Dhiyul's men, one by one, even Leo himself was standing over his men on his horse and slashing away at the poorly trained fighters.

The battle was soon over as most of Emir Dhiyul's men were starting to retreat, and Leo was riding after them, as well as having his men charge towards them. Leo wasn't aiming for his men, but for the Lord. He continued to gallop towards the lord, and as he approached him, their weapons clashed, and as Leo rode past him, he noticed a woman, a prisoner, just standing there, tied up to the Lord's horse. Leo stopped his horse and got off, taking out his bow and arrows and his men surrounding the lord in a flash. He drew his arrow on the bow and held it pointed at the Lord.

"It's over, Dhiyul." He said and shot the arrow, the arrow piercing the old man's leg. Leo watched as he fell off, and his men quickly charged in to grab a hold of him. Leo grinned and walked over to him. "You are my prisoner now." He said and knocked the old man unconscious. After the quick battle, he went over to the woman and cut the rope from the horse, then untied it from her hands. "You are free now." He said softly, lifting his helmet off afterwards.

She watched as they fought. She was out of breath, from running around while the lord galloped on his horse. Her breathing was heavy, moving against her chest tighty. Then, she watched as all his men died. The only that was left was him and a few other men.

The lord was talking to the leader, she was behind the horse shaking. She was filthy, now that she was covered in dirt and blood. The leader had shot an arrow at him, knocking him unconsiciues. Now, she was left their.

Whimpering, she watched as he cut her her bounds. Automatically bowing, she spoke. "Thank you..." She looked up, rubbing her wrists. "Im forever debted to you sir...."

Leo shook his head and stood her up slowly, then picked up like a woman that he loved, one arm around her back, the other on the backs of her knees, cradling her in his arms. "Do not thank me, thank my men who fought so well." He said as his men left with only a few scratches and bruises. These men were no ordinary fighters, they were some of the best in the land.

"Don't worry, we'll get you clean and feed you." He assured the woman as he sat her up on his horse, having his men help her and him get on the horse. Once him and his men were ready to depart, he began riding towards the nearest city, one that would have an inn for his men to sleep and rest in.

When he scooped her up, her arm automatically went around his neck. Her face buried in his chest. Katana really couldn't believe that she was free, so this man said anyway. He could be saying it all to get her to trust him. Then once they arrived back into town enslave her again. Shaking her head, she couldn't think so negative. "Ill be sure go thank them when we reach our destination."

Katana didn't know where they were going, she only ever saw the room she was kept in and the land the Lord had raided. It was all knew to her as she wrapped her arms around the mans waist. Using it to hold on too. She wasn't scared of horses, she actually liked them.

As Leo clicked his heels, the horse began to trot, his men following close behind, with their gear put away on their backs and sides. The footsteps of the men were loud, due to the metallic armor that they were wearing. Although it was tough to walk in that armor, they knew they had to, and that if they were to take it off now, an ambush would be imminent.

"You'll be safe with us... I promise." Leo whispered to the girl that had her arms around his waist as he steered the horse into town. As the town gates opened up, he led his men towards the inn. Once there, he ordered them to be at ease, and paid the innkeeper enough to feed, bathe, and rest his men there. As for the girl, he was going to make sure she was take care of properly. He carried her to the nearest healer and requested some help. The medics instantly rushed to grab the girl and carry her to a table to treat her properly, Leo standing nearby and watching.

Hearing the clicking of the metal armor, she watched them walking along side their leader. Her head rested against her back, before long she lifted it up. Hearing the towns gate opening up for them. Shivering, she nodded carefully. He had picked her up, holding her in his arms before he set her down on the table.

"Thank you.... But I don't need any healing..." She shook her head, trying to move away from them. Soon, she gave in and let the people tend to her. Watching Leo as they did, her eyes never left him. Once they were almost done, she closed her eyes.

Leo watched the healers do their work, cauterizing any cuts, disinfecting them as well beforehand, and making sure she was properly bandaged before letting her rest. After they were all done, Leo paid them all generously, and then asked if he can bring her to the inn. They said she had to stay there and he was welcome to stay by her side.

Leo nodded to the man he was speaking to and brought a chair to sit next to the girl. "I told you, we'll get you all healed up and we'll make sure you're safe." He told the girl before brushing some of her hair out of her face. Just then, the same ward came with a bowl of food for her, and Leo took it. "Come on, you need to eat too." He said to her.

She grimmaced as they worked on her. Finally realizing how tired and hurt she was. Once they were done, she wanted to stand. But they told Leo she had to stay, which made her fall right back on the bed. Katana could smell the food coming, and she shifted upwards in the bed.

Katana felt safe around him, more so she did then any other man. "You don't have to stay by my side..." She spoke quitely, hardly audible to anyone else but Leo. Then, he took the bowl and told het she needed to eat. Which she did, grabbing out for the bowl, she took it in one hand and slowly started to eat.

Leo watched the girl eat, making sure she didn't faint or just plain pass out. "I know, but I choose to." He said and then turned to look at the other patients that were there, then back at her. "My name is Leo, more well known as the Lion." He introduced himself to her as he continued to watch her eat.

"I know I may be a stranger to you, but you are free to join with us in our travels." He said to her, offering her safety within his band of mercenaries. She seemed like she knew how to handle herself, and yet she was a prisoner. Leo only took people that were brutal and heartless as prisoners, but always fed them and kept them alive. Taking prisoners that are innocent was wrong in his book, and he would never take anyone as a prisoner.

Nodding, she finished the bowl and handed it over to him. "Im Katana, nice to meet you..." She smiled softly, her nerves still trying to calm down. Not knowing who to trust completely. Until he offered her to join them.

Smiling again, she spoke softly. "I would like too.... But I know nothing about fighting except how to defend my self. He never taught me more, I know hr was scared I'd use it to kill him.

Leo took the bowl from the girl and listened to her as she spoke. He chuckled a bit and helped her lay down fully on her back, pulling the blanket over her. "Don't worry, some of my men did not know how to fight either, but we all teach each other, and so we will teach you how to not only defend yourself, but to kill if necessary." He comforted her and stood up with the bowl of food.

"You just try to sleep, I'm gonna bring this bowl back and come right back." He told her with an honest smile and went over to bring the bowl back, coming back in just a few minutes.

She didn't close her eyes until he came back. Smiling softly when she saw him. Katana felt protective with him by her. Wanting him there while she rested. Closing her eyes, she pulled the blanket around her face.

Almost falling asleep instantly. The bed was comfortable, the way it felt against her body. She had slept on the ground for awhile now, but now she had the bed, pillow and blanket.

Leo watched as the girl fell asleep, sitting back in his chair to relax and close his eyes. The girl needed him it seemed, and so he was going to stay by her side until she woke up. He soon fell asleep himself, feeling tired from the battle.

His men were all in the inn just a few buildings down the street, resting, eating, drinking, and even bathing. Leo had enough money to cover up everyone's expenses, since his scouts tend to do the looting and are the also the merchants.

It was a few hours later when she woke up screaming. Scared half to death from a nightmare. One where her old master was beating her to death, inch by inch he hit every part of her body. Not stopping until he had covered it all. She was flailing, trying to fend him off, when he wasn't there.

Whimpering, she cowered against the bed. Tears running down her cheeks as she tried to calm her self down. Trying to realize and figure out what had happened and where the man had went. Katana grimmaced, feeling the wounds against her own body ache.

Leo quickly woke up in surprise when she began screaming, then held her shoulders to calm her down. "Katana, calm down!" He tried to calm her by telling her to be calm, but it didn't work. He let her flail around for a bit until she finally calmed down, looking at the tears running down her cheeks.

"It's okay... It's over." He said just as she grimaced and slowly pushed her down on the bed to let her lay down. "Just relax, I'm here to keep you safe." He said quietly and wiped her tears and sweat away, checking on her bandages to make sure the wounds didn't break open again. Fortunately, none did, and that made him feel relieved. "Just go back to sleep." He said quietly as he petted her hair softly with a small smile.

It was the first time of many to come she feared. Though she was away from them, it still didn't change the past. It had been most of her life. Beatings beyond belief. Wheter it was with a master,
family. It didn't matter. Katana had always been hated by her family for her looks, her masters because of her fiestynes. But now, she was free and with a man that would keep her safe. But how would he?

"Im...I'm sorry." Speaking against the space between his shoulder and neck, her head rested against it. Her shaking was going away, the images slowly fading away. "I don't know why I dreamt of that... It's horrible."

Leo held the woman in his arms and gently petted the hair on the back of her head to calm her down more. He liked being able to hold a woman like this, even if he barely knew her.

"It's okay, it's gone..." He said quietly, knowing that it will most likely come back to haunt her once more. "It's nearly morning anyways. Do you want to sleep some more?" He asked her softly, continuing to pet her hair slowly and gently. She needed his attention more than anything right now, so ensuring her safety was a priority to him.

Nodding to his responce, her eyes closed softly and slowly against him. "Can I sleep some more...?" It had been awhile since she had slept so great, so comfortable against an actual bed. "Please...?" When she uttered the last word, she lifted her head up.

"You woulnt believe how long it's been since I slept like this... Comfortablly in someones arms..." Blushing, she buried her head right back into his chest. Smiling softly at the warmth of his body. Pushing against hers.

Leo nodded a bit when she said please, smiling down at her. He was surprised to find her press herself against his chest again when she said in someone's arms. He blushed from that sentence, it seemed like a compliment, so he hugged her a bit more tightly and rested his cheek on top of her head.

"You're not quite sleeping in my arms, but feel free to sleep some more." He said and let go of her, looking down in her eyes one last time with a smile and then helping her lay back down, covering her up carefully and slowly with the blanket.

Nodding, she smiled and laid back down against the bed. Closing her eyes, she fell asleep. Sleeping well until the morning hours, she woke around nine. Waking to see him still there, she smiled softly and yawned. Her hands out stretching to stretch. "Thank you....for staying with me last night..."

Looking around the room, she glanced down to her body. Seeing the bandages, she shook her head. "Its hard to believe a man could do that to a woman isnt it? With no sorrow in his eyes?"

Leo nodded off for a while as well in the chair, but woke up a little while before her to the noise of the nurses and doctors running around and checking on all the patients. When she woke up, he looked at her stretch with a smile.

"Of course, it's what a man like me does." He said happily and saw a nurse coming with new bandages, then turned to look at Katana again. "I still don't believe it, no man in his right mind would hurt a beautiful woman." He said with a slight blush spreading on his cheeks, the nurse stepping up to her. "Time to change your bandages." The nurse said and set her things down near the bed.

"Your right. Your not like them." Smiling softly, she watched the nurse come into her room. When she saw the bandages, she shook her head. "No... It'll hurt when you change them." Her voice was but a whimper as she bid against the bed.

"Just leave the old ones..." She knew this wasn't possible. But hey. It wouldn't Hurt to try would it? Glancing over to Leo, she whimpered again.

Leo chuckled and gently brushed his hand over her hair. "Don't worry, it doesn't hurt that much, plus there's a chance you opened up that wound again." He said with a gentle smile and moved aside so the nurse could do her work.

"It's okay, I'll be right here." He said and reached his hand out for her to hold on to incase she was going to go through serious pain.

Back
Top Bottom