Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The not so perfect Southern Belle(Dingo & Panda)

"Contessa, eat your food. You need to be full before we go."
"Mom, I'm full already. And I can't eat with this damn thing on."
SHe muttered, tugging at the top of her tight corset, trying to get a breath in as she rearranged it. As she did, her mother felt it had gone lose, and instantly pulled her to her feet. Tessa knew what to do, the girl grabbing her bed post tightly as her mother barbarically started pulling on the ties. This was the typical life in 1850 for a woman Tessa's age. She was almost seventeen, and at this age, she was getting to be older than most men wanted to marry. Girls got married at sixteen, and by her age, they at least had suitors. Not Contessa, though. It wasn't for lack of beauty. Oh no, Contessa Williams was probably the most beautiful girl in Southern Georgia. Problem was that she was a bit... strange. She loved the occult, and all those things that went bump in the night. She read all the short stories and poems about vampires, seducing women with ease, and demons possessing young women and taking their lives. It honestly, freaked a lot of potential suitors off, and as she stood there, her arms wrapped ever so tightly around the bed post, she couldn't help but laugh at her mother, who was frantic to marry her off.

"Marie? Contessa? We're gon' be late."
"We're almost done. Tess wouldn't eat."
"Well, she better not eat at the party tonight, otherwise we might as well consider this a wasted venture, too."
Contessa skipped down the stairs a few minutes later, in a lovely red gown that made her look like the perfect little southern belle. Her hair was done to that perfect black ringlet curls hung around her face, and a red ribbon tied around her neck as sort of a necklace. She was wearing slightly heeled boots, nothing too special, and as her mother came downstairs, her father rushed them out the door and into the carriage. She really did hate these stupid charity engagements. She couldn't eat at them, since it was improper for a woman to eat in public, she could barely breath with the stupid corset that was making the already curvy girl look even curvier, and the worst part was none of the men that came near her interested her in the least. She never even wanted to talk to these men again, let alone court one, and possibly marry him. It was unthinkable.

They approached the large home, the carriage coming to a stop as the door was opened. A man helped Tessa out, while her father helped her mother out. It was clear just by looking that this was for the elite only, and that just happened to include Contessa's family. Her father raised the most cotton in the county, and was the most successful farmer in the southern half of Georgia. As they headed inside, Contessa lingered outside for a moment, looking off into the darkness aimlessly as she sighed, before being pulled along by her mother.
"Remember, Tessa, smile. All the boys love it when you do."
"Yeah, yeah. I know, mamma."

Slade Mankiller, three words could sum him up. Rich, Powerful, and Mysterious. You see, Slade was only seen out and about at night and rarely in the day light, and when seen under light, people would swear he was ghastly. His features were calm, welcoming, even soothing, but the blue and grey hue of his skin wasn't normal. As a precaution, he went to several of the doctors in Georgia, knowing they would gossip about unusual patients, and all of them agreed he just had a skin disorder like reviatalygo but instead of going from black to white, he was going from, whatever normal color he was before, to this blue grey hue. Even though people had heard of him, they didn't know of him since he spent most of his time indoors and under moonlight. Some had even seen strange people come and go from his home at all hours of the day and night. Tonight however, they saw a black carriage drawn by four black horses, sworn to be nightmarish demons if seen wrong, leave his home. At the time, he looked young, barely out of his teens, but his eyes showed a different story of his age. A little imp, dressed up to look like an olden-ed butler sat across from Slade in the carriage as he ran his mouth off about different events in the world.
"England seems to have a serial killer on the lose," the imp stated.
"War or crime, its all serial killers to me," Slade said in a deep calm tone as he adjusted his clothing a bit. He was wearing a jet black suit, with a crimson colored vest on underneath it followed by a white puffy shirt underneath that as well.
"Stocks have risen in iron and copper," the imp sounded of again.
"Sell then, last I saw, this is their peak, in a day they will drop again." His hair was jest black and straight down a little past his shoulders and parted at his forehead to reveal his face.
"Tensions and drawing closer between the south and the north."
"Jezzel, how many times have I said I do not want to hear about politics, regardless if it leads to war," Slade stated as he slipped on white gloves to cover his skin that had strange runic markings on them along with the strange hue of his skin.
"Sorry sir, forgive me."
Slade sighed and said, "I am a crimson, not a blood hungry angry vampire, you know that. No need to say sorry for honest mistakes. Take note, if it will effect stocks, then tell me."
"If war breaks out, won't it effect stocks in cotton?"
Slade agreed. "Fine, keep a note on this situation as well."
Jezzel took the notes requested. "Finally, tonight's dinner. I failed to see we weren't given an invitation."
"The first time, they expect you to come, curious about it. Then, they want you to plead for acceptance in large cash donations. They will give speeches about the honor it is to have you. Then, they will send the invitations because they expect the same donation each and every time. Southern Politics are not that different from the one in the North."
"Then that explains the suitcase you have, sir." Slade nodded as the carriage came up behind another and came to a stop, seeing some women out on the front already. "Jezzel."
"Yes, sir?"
"Found out about the woman there," Slade stated, looking over at Contessa. "Something about her has a strange glance to it, one that I like." Slade's driver came around and opened the door for him and he got out. He put on his top hat and pulled out a cane, although neither was needed for him, he liked to have them around to put on the look he was presenting. Jezzel got out behind him with the suitcase and looked over at Contessa.
"If that is what you wish, sir," Jezzel finally stated about the woman, feeling something odd about the woman, not liking the feel at all and knowing he should report this to the elders that had him watching Slade. Slade went up the steps, stealing a glance at Contessa before being stopped at the door by a man he assumed was in charge of the dinner.

As another carriage approached, Contessa turned, hair blowing in the wind as she watched the man get out of the carriage, eyes widening as she just stared. A swat from her mother got her to turn back around, although, as she felt the man pass her, she looked over at him, practically entranced by him. She had never seen him before, and for some reason, she couldn't take her eyes off of him. He got stopped just as her family got waved in, her parents starting in as Tessa just stood there, watching the much taller man as she smiled a little bit. Her mother came storming out, grabbing the girl's wrist and dragging her inside, Contessa letting out a small squeal as she was suddenly tugged along. She hurried inside, and after about ten minutes, she managed to ditch her parents and hurry upstairs. She truly did hate these horrible parties, and didn't even want to socialize anymore. There wasn't a point. She had no interest in any of these men, and she wasn't going to marry someone she didn't find interesting. She slowly headed into the guest bedroom, lighting a few of the candles that were the only source of light in the room.

Contessa slowly laid down on the bed, the puffy skirt of the dress moving slightly and covering all of her legs as she kicked her boots off and let them fall to the floor. Lucky for her, since the party was so large, her parents wouldn't know she was missing until much later, at which point she could just pretend she felt ill and had gone to lie down for a bit. Her mind went to the stranger outside, the girl giggling as she shook her head. There was something off about him, but it made her want to talk to him. Want to get to know him and who he was. He just seemed so... sensual. The girl shooed those thoughts out of her head, grabbing a pillow from right next to her before shoving it over her face and laughing sweetly.
"God, I just want to go home already. How long until this stupid thing is over?"
She asked, glancing over at the clock that was in the room and noticing she still had at least six hours left. Great. Six hours of just laying here and waiting for the night to end so she could go home, get out of this horrible dress and corset, and go to sleep.

The man of the party, short and portly, stopped Slade at the door. A few words to describe the man from Slade's view was a pig in a suit and on its hind legs. However, Slade put on the usual expected smile and tipped his hat off to the man, giving a slight bow but was still taller then the man. Rudely, the pig like man said, "who the devil are you?"
The devil I am, but not thee devil, Slade thought before he stood up and placed the hat back on. "The name is Mankiller, Slade Mankiller, I come here tonight in the home I assume is your home to join in this gracious party."
"Well, this is an invitation only event for a well known charity, can't let just anyone come in if they have a suit. So, where is your invitation," the man had a sly smile on his face which seemed to fit.
How much of it are you pocketing for yourself, I wonder, Slade thought, before he motioned over for Jezzel. Jezzel came over with the suitcase and opened the container, showing crisp fresh bills and in the amount of close to $5000. To the pig man, it was a lot, to Slade, a penny in the bucket. "I assume with it being a charity event, I could make a donation for acceptance, would it seem fair, my good sir," Slade propositioned as the pig man started to grab for the money. Jezzel was quick and closed the case before it could have been grasped.
The man cleared his throat and regained his composure, what left of it there was from the sweat forming on his brow, and said, "it seem's like a fair deal." He stepped aside and let Slade in, Jezzel giving the case to the man. "Mind if I ask what you deal in, a man like you must have some enterprise, correct," the pig man asked as the door closed behind them.
"Tradeing, stocks, and a few venture risks that have been paying off for a long while." Slade continued the fake smile with the man before Jezzel had disappeared into the shadows like the demon he was. Slade on the other hand, could no disappear in front of the company as easily since people were looking at him, and he didn't enjoy being taller then the people here. He was able to mix in with the group, still noticing a few wayward glances from some women. No one questioned him about his skin, they questioned him on everything else. By the time the food had come around and the dancing had begun, Slade found himself tired of the event. He could see the purpose behind it. It was a place to discuss business deals and to make deals that no one else would know about. He had even seen three different occasions of blackmail being paid off and what looked like weddings there were planned to bring two financial families together for a stronger financial gain.
Slade had been able to excuse himself, claiming he felt a little sick, and went up stairs. He followed as far away from the noise that he could until he walked into a room. Normally, he would have noticed people in rooms that should have been empty but he found himself going past the bed Contessa laid on and going to the balcony to get a breath of fresh air. He breathed it in deeply and sighed. The air was crisp out here but he still wished he was home among the mountains instead of here. His body felt like it was cooling and his heart beat calmed down. He had turned around, leaning against the railing, when he saw Contessa on the bed. "Oh, I didn't know the room was occupied, my apologies," He stated. He quickly rushed over to the door but before he left, he looked back over at the woman and said, "may I ask why you are here instead of down with the others?" He figured for the same reasons as him but it seemed strange to see someone else avoiding the big scene.

Tessa shut her eyes as someone entered the room, fearing it was her mother or father and wanting to pretend she was asleep. But when the person walked right by her, she sat up slightly, glancing out onto the balcony before smiling slightly. It was the mystery man, and he didn't seem to notice her. The girl stared intently at him until he noticed her, and as he rushed to the door, she sat up and held out a hand gently.
"Please don't leave."
She said sweetly, her sweet as sugar voice ringing out softly as she motioned for him to come back and sit with her. She patted the bed, slowly folding her legs up under her as he asked why she was up here alone. Boy, that was a difficult question to answer. Well, not because she didn't understand it, but because other's thought it was ridiculous. Marriage wasn't a thing of love, it was a thing of profit and gain, and she couldn't imagine bearing a child with a man she didn't love.

"I'm turning seventeen in three months, and my ma... well... she's desperate for me to get married and... I don't want to marry any of the men here."
She muttered towards the end, looking down as she fiddled with her dress, knowing that he'd probably think she was ridiculous, and not at all a proper little woman. But she couldn't imagine marrying James or Victor or any of the other boys that lived around here. She slowly reached back, untying her hair and letting the ringlets fall around her face as she laid back down, sighing heavily as she just started to speak.
"And it isn't fair. I don't know why I have to get married so soon. I mean, I know that I'm getting older but.... I dunno..."
Contessa put one hand on her stomach, the other running through her hair gently as she let out a heavy breath. She reached back, untying the ribbon from her neck and exposing the smooth, pale flesh as she tugged at the dress with a groan. She was clearly uncomfortable, not to mention how clear it was that she couldn't breath very well. The girl sat up again, taking as big a breath as she could before letting it out slowly.
"Why are you up here?"
She asked bluntly, looking at him with those gorgeous eyes as she blinked slowly.

When Slade heard the woman ask him not to leave, he closed the door and turned back towards her. "I will not leave then, if that is what you wish." He saw the spot where she motioned for him to sit. He bowed politely to the woman and removed his hat as he took a seat next to the woman. He listened to her explanation and, maybe because he was different or been to different areas of the world, he understood the woman's plight. He was about to say he agreed with her when she said it wasn't fair and that too, he agreed with. He had seen marriages of both love and profit and time and time again, the marriage of love proved to be a happier one then one of profit, and didn't threaten with black mail and divorce. He watched her laid down on the bed and fidget, which didn't bother him or seem unladylike, he had seen women in Ireland who were good swordsmen so to him, ladylike really didn't mean anything. He watched, seeing the trouble the woman was having. When she sat up, he heard her question and nodded his head. "I understand your plight madam, and I for one would not wish an unhappy marrage on anyone. If you don't mind," he reached behind the corset and pulled on a few strings, giving more air for the woman to breath but the corset was still in place. "I don't understand why people want those things so tight, all they do is hurt you and crush you." He looked back at her and saw a look in her eyes. An innocent look but one he hadn't seen in a long time. She had it. The quest downstairs didn't have it, Jezzel didn't have it, no one else he knew of had it. "You know, in some other, civilized cultures, women got to choose when and to whom they would be married. No politics, no money, nothing but their choice. And I think if you had that choice, you would want it." Slade sighed a bit and said, "on the other hand, we are not there, we are here. So, the best I can do is hope your family finds someone you love that will treat you right." Slade sat up a bit, a small crick in his spine forced him to sit up.
"As for why I am here, I could not deal with the party downstairs. To much gossip and back handedness for my tastes. Plus, I do not know why but I have been a bit afraid to eat the food. I have not seen a single woman eat the food at this party and it makes me wonder what is in it, you know?" He gave a smile to the woman, a genuine one, before he said, "I forgot, I have not given my name to you madam." He bowed a bit and said, "I am Slade Mankiller, and it is a honor to meet someone who is not like the others at this party." He figured it was safe to say that since everyone else was downstairs and they were upstairs. "So tell me, and humor me in the thought please, if you could choice who you would want to marry, who would you want your parent's to try to get them to marry you? Surly someone has caught your eye, maybe made a kind gesture to you that has left a memorable mark?"

The pretty girls eyes widened as he reached behind her, hand slipping under her dress to untie the corset. It instantly loosened, and the girl immediately smiled and tucked her hair behind her ears. She said a quick thank you, smiling at the man sweetly as she moved slightly closer. There was something about him that she was intrigued by, and she desperately want to run her fingers over his cool looking skin to see if he was as chilled as he looked. When he spoke of marrying someone she wanted, she let out a giggle, shaking her head before nodding. SHe wished it were that simple. And for some girls, it was. They got to choose who they wanted to marry. Her cousin Abigail had chosen her husband, and at twenty, she was the mother of four gorgeous children and couldn't have been happier. However, most girls had been married off by force to someone they didn't care for, and the stories she heard were terrible and frightening.

As he mentioned the food, she laughed softly, shaking her head before explaining.
"No, it ain't that. Down here, there's a, um, certain image that goes with femininity. We're supposed to eat like birds. So they cram us full of food before we get to any of these things, so by the time we get here, we couldn't eat at all. Corsets help. If they're too tight, we can barely breath, let alone eat, so naturally mother ties mine up like she's tryin' ta keep me from escapin'."
When he said his name, she said it softly under her breath, and at his next question, she couldn't help but blush and look away.
"My parent's would have me marry either Victor or James, the twins downstairs. They grew up about ten miles down the road from me, and have loved me since I was tiny. But... they're so plain! Neither one of them can make me even crack a smile, or say anything interesting. All they care about is gettin' cotton and tobacco and whatever else they can get their hands on for money. I don't care about any of that. I just want someone who can... I dunno... make me happy. Someone who has an air about them that makes them neat and unique and wonderful.... Someone like you."
She blushed even more so at her words, looking away as she bit her lip, clearly nervous she had made an error in speaking of such matters. If she had said any of this downstairs, her father would have smacked her in the mouth so hard she'd be sent into next tuesday. But Slade just felt so genuine that... she wanted to tell him everything.

"I doubt I'll even get married. I'll end up an old spinster at twenty, like my Aunt Elsa did, and then I won't have to deal with this anymore. I just wish that... for once, I'd find some guy who my parents like, who has money, not that I care about that, mind you, and someone who loves me. But maybe all thats just the stuff of fairy tales. I dunno. I just... I hate it here now. Things are so heated between the North and the South, and that Lincoln guy, whoever he is, is I guess runnin' for president and I have no idea why mah daddy hates him so much, but he keeps saying he's almost the devil himself."
She caught herself rambling, and instantly clamped a hand over her mouth, knowing she wasn't supposed to speak as much as she was. Downstairs, she would have gotten hushed by her mother. After all, only the men talked constantly, the women just smiling and nodding at them.

"I just... I want a new life... One without all the fancy dresses and stuck up people. One where I can just... be free, ya know?"

Slade listened to the woman and nodded at points he agreed with, which seemed to be a lot. He heard her answer his question and figured a bit out about her from the way she answered. When she said she wanted someone unique like him, he laughed a bit but covered his mouth and shook his head. He quickly said, "I am not laughing at you madam. Its just, its been a while since someone said I was unique and it made me feel a little warm inside that you seem me like that. Please, continue on."
He continued listening to her about what she wanted and how things seemed to be. He agreed with her on that politics ruined things, but to hear that if she wanted freedom from the whole marriage thing, she would have to be at least twenty. He figured by then, her parents would have forced her into a marriage she didn't want. And when he heard her final request, he saw that look again and understood what it was. "You madam, are a bird who sees the cage and has no wish to be in it like all the others," Slade stated, making a statement that the other people around her accepted things and ignored what was wrong. "You want a better life, and I for one, agree you should have the right to that better life." He placed the hat aside and moved a little closer to the woman. Whispering in her ear, "I understand what you are saying, you want people that will make you smile for being the way you are, not harassed you for seeing the cage. I know what that is like, not a lot of blue skinned people about now a days." He leaned back to his spot and sighed a bit. "The best word of advise I can give is think about those fairy tales you spoke of. If they would never happen, why write an impossible dream. Just try your best in life, and surly, you will get your fairy tale romance that you wish for." Silence stood for a moment before Slade spoke again. "If those boys love you but they do not make you smile, then I do not see how they love you. Love and happiness go hand in hand, I have seen it enough times in my life to know that." He pulled out the pocket watch and saw there was still time to the party. However, the party bored him. He enjoyed speaking with Contessa. "If it will help you, you are welcomed at my estate when you need someone to listen to you, day or night, I am willing to listen to you." He placed a hand on her hand and gave a light squeeze, a sign he was being seriousness, before he let go. He figured by now, people would notice he was gone. And what of the girl's parents, wouldn't they notice she was gone. Slade removed the pocket watch from his pocket and placed it into Contessa's hand. "A gift for a lovely woman that sees outside of the normal lines of life."

Back
Top Bottom