Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Blood Wars (Terra)

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkangel76

.:The Vampiric Fae:.
Supporter
World: Terra
City: Yorkton
Year: 2011

The sky was starting to darken, turning a deep shade of ethereal blue that could mesmerize any stargazer. Unfortunately, the lights of the city of Yorkton muted out most of the stars that shone overhead in that beautiful deep blue. The sick neon signs of the seedy nightlife taking over the night as the moon began to rise, shining down its silvery rays upon the city and its inhabitants.

The air was hot, especially for a day in mid September, but it wouldn’t be long before fall took hold and then winter set in. And honestly, that was just fine by Starla McClintock. She wasn’t one for hot weather anyway, much preferring the colder months of the year. Heaving a sigh, she looked up into the blackening sky. Somehow she knew it was going to be a long night, however, the one benefit would be that she’d probably get paid well. The side effect? Probably a few dozen patrons giving her ass a slap as she waited on their tables. Such was the life of a waitress working at The Phoenix.

As Starla walked, she was ever alert. A couple months ago, she’d witnessed her first glimpse into something otherworldly, something supernatural. She’d seen her first vampire. Luckily for her, the vampire hadn’t noticed her and for that she’d been ridiculously grateful. However, the incident made her a bit paranoid as opposed to just cautious. In a way, she supposed it would’ve made her brother, Chris, happy that she cared at all.

Chris.

God, Starla hated that her brother was gone. The night she learned of his death was forever etched into her brain. The authorities had come to their apartment and let her know that he’d been killed, that his body had been nearly unidentifiable. They’d asked her if she’d wanted to come to the morgue to attest that it was truly him, but she refused. She was too upset by everything. Instead, she received and looked over legal paperwork that had explained the various DNA tests that had been run to confirm identification since she wouldn’t do it herself. She just couldn’t…

Thoughts muddled, anxiety kicking in as she started to feel like she was being ‘watched’, Starla finally saw the blinking lights of The Phoenix catch her eye. Smiling a little, she hurried up to the establishment and entered the place. Once inside, she headed toward the back so that she could get ready to work for the night. As she made her way through the crowd, she felt a pair of hands grab at her ass. Letting out a sigh, she continued on, ignoring the advance. Just then, she got the feeling of being ‘watched’ again.

Starla glanced about herself trying to find the eyes that might or might not be watching her. Suddenly, a feeling of dread washed over her and a knot formed in the pit of her stomach. Looking around a bit more, she realized that something wasn’t right. Across the way, she saw him. She saw what most certainly had to be… a vampire.

Jack sat in the Phoenix, surveying the crowds. His Drakunov was sitting idle in a hidden location, as was his semi-auto, but his M9 stayed hidden in a holster somewhere on his body at all times. He had no drink, except for a silver flask, his signature engraved in the metal. He rubbed his eyes tiredly. Soon, his shift would be over and he could go catch a few Z's before the next mission. He simply stood there, leaning against the wall, his light armor well hidden under his baggy clothes. At his right side was a very noticeable pouch, but it wasn't out of the ordinary. He closed his eyes tiredly, wishing Harding would be on time for once. His mind wandered vaguely to his extremely brief time stuck in the Twilight place. He shook his head, hoping for his sake he would never have to go there again.

<Linked your character to their profile thread. Please remember to do so in the future any time your character either enters or re-enters ANY RP in this section. Thanks, DA.>

Starla could feel those vampire eyes boring into the back of her head as she walked over to one of the many tables inside The Phoenix. It was unnerving and she hoped that the guy wouldn’t cause any trouble while in the establishment. It was the second time, since her brother’s death, that she’d actually seen a vampire with her own eyes. The first time, she’d never forget it…

Racing back and forth between the bar and tables, Starla definitely knew she’d be in for quite a night. It was already beyond crowded, but such was typical on a Saturday night. Regardless, she wasn’t one to complain. More people meant more tips and she could always go for those, especially now. The extra cash would prove useful even though Chris had left her a handsome sum prior to his death.

A couple nights back Starla had heard rumors about this mysterious renegade of sorts who called himself Mick. An odd name, but she had to admit something about it sounded lethal. Like the sort of person you’d want to talk to only if you had no other alternative. Apparently the guy had ties. Ties to The Defenders. And trying to learn anything about them, and thus hopefully her brother’s death, the cash would be more than beneficial. She hoped…

The Defenders… God, Starla had to figure out a way to get them to divulge something, anything, to her. The trouble was, it was damned near impossible to find anyone who’d even give you a clue as to whom had affiliations with the gang. The taboo and secrecy were ridiculously great. It was no wonder everyone thought they had something to do with the occult. Given the way they skulked in dark corners and never uttered a word only fed into that story. The tight-lipped behavior also frightened her. It made her wonder if she’d even have a chance in ‘buying’ her information from them.

Just then, Starla’s heart began to race. Those eyes, the ones belonging to the vampire. She could feel them staring at her still only now she could feel herself panicking as a result. Yeah. She had to get out of there. She had to find that… Mick. If it was even possible.

“Jim?” Starla asked as she walked over to the bartender.

The guy was rugged in his looks and he pushed his sandy brown hair out of his eyes. “Yeah, Starla, what is it?” He looked at her quizzically as her face began to slowly blanche. “You okay, darlin’?” he asked.

Starla shook her head. “No. I have to get out of here. Something’s off. I… I can’t stay.”

Jim heaved a heavy sigh. He clearly wasn’t happy. It was a Saturday and the place was bumping. Losing Starla for the night would leave them a waitress short and that wouldn’t make the other girls very happy. However, when he looked at the girl, he could plainly see that she was far from joking. Besides, she wasn’t the kind of girl to ask for personal time or to complain about anything.

“Yeah, go on. Get outta here. If you need me, I have my cell. Okay?” Jim said.

Starla gave Jim a smile and gently touched his arm. “Thanks, Jim. I know I owe you.”

At that, Starla turned her gaze ever so briefly to the vampire who seemed to have her targeted for some reason. Looking away quickly, she swallowed and began making her way out of The Phoenix.

Jack's eyes flashed up, their unusual blue glow somewhat visible. There was someone new, someone that hadn't been here a few minutes ago. His eyes honed in on the girl just starting to walk out. Although she seemed human, he had to know. It could mean life or death for his team. Quickly, he started to make his way to the door, not wanting to lose this possible threat among the crowd that should be outside the Phoenix. He looked briefly at the man, whom he'd heard of as "Jim", quickly averting his eyes as to not alert or possibly frighten the rugged person. The more people that knew, or even thought they knew, the closer it would be to the exposition of the vampires. That could quite possibly lead to an interspecies war, and as much as the hunter hated it, he wanted to keep that possibility to a miimum. A war would mean a profuse amount of lives lost, and his job was to protect people.

Suddenly, Nemera saw a huge beast come roaring at him. It made sounds like an angry mother goose. He swerved and humans beside the beast began to scream. Flashes of faces in surprise and fear swirled. It was bright and colorful. Spots made seeing even harder, and he felt himself be hurled through glass. Pain ripped through him. He was falling and couldn't move. This wasn't the blue place anymore, but it scared him just as badly. Maybe even more. His eyes began to close as flustered humans gathered around the limp body of a panther.

His eyes, who had been so intent on the girl, were torn away, forced to focus on this new, huge beast. He watched as the panther flew to the ground, and he quickly pulled out his weapon. This was no way to start his operation. Now people would be suspicious. "Jack to shadow base, we have an Echo Code breach, near the Phoenix. We need a small insertion team. Hostile is large, and extremely violent. We have human lives at stake, I repeat, the Phoenix is full of humans. The iron is hot." With a nod to himself, he lunged at the threat, pulling out his pistol and shooting it repeatedly. There was no way he was going to let civilians die. He'd have to find a way to dispose of the panther though. He looked briefly at the girl, seeing if this new event had stopped her, or if she had ignored it.

As Starla made her way toward the door of The Phoenix, she could feel those steely vampire eyes watching her. Immediately, she could feel her cheeks get hot, flushing a deep shade of red. As her breath quickened, a feeling of unease washed over her. At that, she sped up her pace, her sights fixed on that door and getting outside. Unfortunately, her path was slightly hindered. The place was even more crowded than before, the air thick with smoke as people puffed on their cigarettes.

Starla felt a hand brush against her backside as she pushed through the mass of people. Jaw set, she was determined not to lose sight of her goal. She was going to get out. She was going to get away from that vampire. Besides, she finally had a solid lead in seeking out answers to her brother’s death and anything linking him to The Defenders. She had no choice but to get away, to find Mick.

Finally, Starla made it to the door. Just as she was about to open it, there was a loud scuffling commotion going on behind her. Was it the vampire? Was it some drunk fool? She really didn’t have time that day to find out. However, she did glance behind herself, peeking over her shoulder as she tucked a stray, dark strand of hair behind an ear. Behind her was quite a sight. Her eyes went wide when she saw a loose beast strewn on the floor.

A bit frightened and still feeling as though she was being watched, Starla pushed open the door. The moment she stepped foot outside, she heard the gunshots.

“Jim…” Starla mumbled.

Jim was still in there. So were so many other innocent people. No. Starla didn’t have time to dwell on such things. Besides, Jim could take care of himself. He was more than capable. So, deciding to use the commotions going on in The Phoenix to her advantage, she ducked out of the bar, hopefully leaving the vampire and any other potential dangers behind her.

Starla had to chuckle at those final thoughts. Her life was riddled with danger now. Ever since Chris died, her life had altered greatly. And now the time had come for her to step up to the plate. Given that, she placed all of her thoughts and concentration on the task at hand. On finding Mick and hopefully some answers.

The night was slipping by as it always did, and once again Ryuga had nothing to show for it, he was standing behind the counter of a small grocery store reading his book. The store was empty, but still open. Glancing around he put his book on the counter and as soon as he thought nobody could seem him he held out his hand and a bottle floated across the store and into his grasp.

He smiled and clicked his fingers causing the top to pop off, this could be seen as abusing his power, but it was how he was raised. Ryuga was always taught to use the gift he was given as it made him unique, of course he tended to use it more just to simplify life. Sometimes when a situation arose he would solve it from the background and be gone before anyone noticed him.

But as he sat there sipping at his soda, he could not ignore the strange tingle in the air tonight, something was not right. Though he wasn't one to wander blindly about this city just to find something to fix, he'd need to hear or see something first, then it would not just be a wild goose chase.

Starla walked briskly along the dark, hot pavement and away from The Phoenix. As she pressed forward, she could hear the commotions going on behind her. There was a loud bang and what sounded like something breaking, glass shattering. Though her curiosity begged for her to turn around, to take a peek at what might be happening, she resisted the urge. Even her own worries for Jim she managed to push aside, though it was extremely difficult. She had no choice. Not if she was to get answers.

Looking up into the sky, Starla could tell it was rather late. Despite the time of night, the city was bustling with nightlife. She tried to pay it no mind. The drunkards who staggered and stumbled as they walked along the streets. The whores who gave coy smiles and come hither looks to the men who passed them by. Even the drug addicts freebasing in the dark alleys. She had a goal, a mission. And that was to find Mick.

Just then, Starla felt those eyes again. Immediately, a sense of panic washed over her. Heart racing, she quickened her pace even more. She had no idea why this vampire seemed so interested in her. Perhaps he knew her brother? Oh, the thought of that! It was absolutely horrifying. Frightened, she broke into a run.

Terrified for her life, Starla tried her best to move fast. She knew she’d be no match for this supernatural being that seemed intent on following her, but she had to try. As she pressed forward, a mass of people exited one of the buildings she ran past. Using that to her advantage, she zigzagged through them. Back tracking a bit, she ran to a nearby grocery store. The place seemed relatively empty, a good place to hide for a bit.

Starla pushed open the door and ran inside. Once beyond the door, she shut it behind herself and let out a long exhale before trying to catch her breath. Shaky and scared, she glanced over at a guy sitting at the counter. Swallowing, she bit down on her lip and pushed a dark lock over an ear.

“Umm… hello,” Starla spoke, her voice wavering just a little. “Mind if I hang out here for a little? I promise, I won’t be any trouble.”

Having disposed of the monster, Jack picked up the panther and put it over his shoulder. "Don't worry guys, I'm with the Hunting Bureau. I'll make sure this one gets back to the wilderness." With that he set out, calling off the teams. He put the panther down on the ground and took out a medical pack. "Tell me where it hurts. I know you can talk, so just make it easy. I have a mission to get back to." He sighed, looking over the cat for wounds, Shaking his head and cleaning out the ones he found.

He looked around, sensing someone watching him. He didn't like it, so he picked up the panther again and started moving. He had to find someplace safe to treat this one. He couldn't be caught off guard by a vampire. When he walked by where he hid his gear, he donned a his jacket and grabbed his "guitar case" which was where he hid his M16. Jack made sure the panther being was securely on his shoulders before moving on to find a good place.

Ryuga rose to his feet slowly, "You may stay as long as you wish", he smiled and put down the bottle, "But store policy requires you purchase an item". He move out from behind the counter, and crossed the floor until he stood just feet away from the woman, "Seeing as you look fairly shaken, I would recommend this", he picked up a bar of chocolate, then dropped some coins from his own pocket on the counter, "Call it a simple kindness".

He then turned to gaze through the glass doors, "What is it that brings you into my store", his voice was calm and composed, soothing almost. He turned slowly, "My name is Ryuga", he extended his hand, "Welcome to my store and home".

Nemera felt himself be picked up. He barely heard the hunter speak to him. I can't speak in this form, he thought. He made a muffled growl at the man. It wasn't he didn't appreciate him helping, but did he have to be carried like a piece of meat? At that thought his stomache growled, and he dreamt of food until the man with the guitar case stopped walking.

The hunter growled back at the panther. When he stopped walking, he saw a store with two people in it. He shook his head and kept walking until he found a little warehouse not very far away from the store. He put the panther down and pulled out his medical pack and took out a small needle. Jack injected his charge with a syrum, that was produced to give energy to the frontline soldiers. It was like morophine in that it dulled pain, but it also gave a small boost of energy. He then pulled out a roll of gauze tape and looked the big black cat over again for any more apparent wounds.

Starla stood there for a moment, her body still shaking a bit from her near run in with a vampire stalker. Nodding, she extended her hand to Ryuga so as to shake the one he was offering. She gave him a small smile as their hands suddenly made contact.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Starla,” Starla spoke, her voice faltering despite how hard she tried to keep it calm and even. “Thanks for the chocolate,” she added as she reached for the sweet confection. She let out a heavy, but shaky sigh as she tried to gather her thoughts together.

Starla looked at Ryuga for several moments, trying to decide what she could tell him and what needed to be kept secret. After all, what chance was there in hell that he’d believe her if she mentioned that a vampire seemed to be after her. And not only that, but he was more than likely after her because of connections to the elusive Defenders.

The Defenders. Mick. Starla still had to find Mick. Biting down on her lip, she averted her eyes to the floor. “By any chance do you know of a… a…” her voice trailed a bit. However, she was indeed desperate.

Starla had no idea where to find Mick and telling Ryuga about vampires outright would most likely get her kicked out of his store. This was her only option and who knew… maybe he knew something. After all, what would it hurt to ask? The worst case scenario, he didn’t know him and she’d be no better off than where she was at the moment. Yes. It was now or never.

“Do you know of a Mick Harrington?” Starla clutched her arms about her middle just then, worried and fearing the worst.

Ryuga had been watching the street as she spoke, he turned around, "Harrington?, I heard about him from customer conversations I overheard", he walked back over to her, "I heard some bad shit happened to him". He leaned against the counter, "Why do you ask, need something found out?".

Ryuga had some connections all over the city, so he could dig up just about anything on anyone. He took out a notebook from his back pocket, "Some of these guys should be able to help, though you may need me to come in order to get them to talk". He held out his hand and his keys slid across the counter to him, "That is if that's what you want".

Starla winced a little, biting down on her lip to try and hide both her fear as well as her disappointment. If something bad had happened to Mick then she’d be at a loss. It was the only name she knew associated with The Defenders… that had ties to Chris.

Oh Chris… I’m failing you…

“Umm, well I need to speak with him,” Starla answered. She casually brought a hand down to rest on her back pocket where a wad of cash waited in case she’d needed it for leverage. “He knows some things that are of great importance to me. And, well…” her voice trailed a moment. God, she had to have sounded either like a total fool or a total bitch. But, which one? She wasn’t sure.

As Ryuga then mentioned that he knew some people that could possibly help her out, Starla felt her hopes rising once again. Hopefully nothing bad had happened to Mick. At least nothing bad enough that he wouldn’t be able to talk to her, tell her about her brother’s death. His murder. Or maybe these people knew others linked to The Defenders. Oh, it was worth a shot, she had nothing to lose.

“I’d like that very much,” Starla said with a smile. “This is important to me. I know I sound silly, but… it is.” Looking at Ryuga, her eyes said it all. They were wet with emotion. So very expressive. “Thanks,” she then added, her voice but a whisper. “When can we start?”

Ryuga paused, "Just one question before we do anything", his eyes suspicious, "What are you?". His thoughts drifted to the katana he had mounted above the counter, it was there as if for show but he sharpened it everyday. "I am sorry to be so blunt, but you get strange type around these parts now, and how you may look ordinary enough I have gotten trouble from people before after I tried to help".

He wondered if she'd noticed his method of picking up his keys, he rarely used his gift in front of strangers but this time he was sure she was not looking at his hand. He pocketed the keys and looked around the store, making sure they were alone, otherwise he could not leave, "We can start now".

Starla felt her blood suddenly go cold. Was it possible that this man had a clue about the vampires? That supernatural beings seemed to riddle the streets of Yorkton and, more than likely, all of Terra? Maybe, just maybe, he even knew something about her brother. As she let her hopes rise, she quickly extinguished them. There was no way she could be that lucky. Still…

Though, as Starla thought on Ryuga’s question, she did have to wonder. Vampires did always seem drawn to her for some reason. At first, she thought it might be a direct result of her being the sister to Chris McClintock. But then, not being very much in the know of things when it came to the supernatural, she had to wonder if that truly was the case. She had to admit, that over the past few months, she was beginning to wonder if she was using her relations to her brother as a means hide her gut feelings on what might truly be going on. Yes, Chris had no doubt shielded and protected her from a lot, but given the amount of vampires she’d noticed watching her, stalking her, she couldn’t believe that was the only reason.

Yes. Vampires flocked to Starla quite often after her brother’s death. However, as she stood there pondering Ryuga’s question, she realized that none ever actually attacked her. It was odd to say the least. There had been one. But she could tell he’d been a newly made vampire, out of control of his abilities and… his thirst. Furrowing her eyebrows she wondered why none of the vampires she’d encountered, be it what seemed noticed or unnoticed, never actually found her or took her as their victim.

“I’m human,” Starla said. “Odd question to ask,” she then added. As she answered Ryuga a part of her then wondered if maybe he didn’t just know about vampires and other such beings. But, if maybe, just maybe, he was one of them. Shaking her head, she quickly dismissed the idea. After all, the way he asked the question, he seemed a bit cautious, perhaps even slightly paranoid. “But far as I know, I’m just as ordinary as the next person.”

Starla looked at Ryuga who seemed ready to start the search for Mick or someone who might know what happened to him. Setting her jaw, she gave him a small smile. The fact that he seemed eager to be at the ready made her feel a bit more at ease.

“And we can start now? Excellent,” Starla then said. “However, word of warning…” her voice trailed and she heaved a heavy sigh. “There’s a vampire out there after me.”

"Oh really?!", he sounded slightly amused, "Another one in this area, I wonder why they seem to be showing up in such numbers all of a sudden". He was partially relieved that she was aware of the other beings, it meant at least he would not have to hide his gift around her. His right hand made a beckoning motion and the Katana behind the counter flew into his hand.

He then moved towards the back door, "I keep a car out back, we can use it to get downtown", he thought his idea of going out the back would save a confrontation and thus save them time. He opened the exit to the back alley and walked out, unlocking his car remotely without stopping. "So why are you looking for Harrington?", his voice was calm and curious.

Starla’s pale eyes widened slightly when she watched the blades suddenly move on their own and into Ryuga’s hands. It was as if… oh god! He had some sort of supernatural ability too? What was he then? As she stared at him, her instincts told her that he was as human as she was, only… different. Shaking it off, as it wasn’t the time for questions, not yet, she followed him out the back door. It was odd, but there was something about the guy that made her feel as though she could trust him. In an insane world where humans were on the brink of learning that they weren’t the only sorts inhabiting Terra, there weren’t very many she got that sort of feeling from.

As Starla and Ryuga made their way to his car, she bit down on her lip and began to run her fingers through her hair. It was a nervous habit she had whenever she became anxious or worried about something. Yes, she did feel that Ryuga was trustworthy, but she felt guilty. Guilty for getting him involved in something that could be over both of their heads.

“It’s a bit of a story,” Starla began. “But the short of the long of it? More than likely he knew my brother.” She paused then as she felt a lump get caught in her throat. Swallowing, trying desperately to sound calm, she continued. “He died a couple years back. I have reason to believe it wasn’t an accident. Someone murdered him. And Mick Harrington is the only lead I have to anyone who might know anything about it.”

Starla deliberately left out The Defenders and the possibility that her brother had been caught up in the supernatural war that had been going on. In her time coping and mourning her brother’s loss, she’d managed to learn a few things. The biggest one being that there was a war going on and right under everyone’s noses. The supernaturals called it The Blood War, a war between Haemophiles and Sympathizers. She shuddered at the thought of the Haemophiles. From what she knew, the vampires were the ones leading the way, poisoning the minds of any would be docile supernatural. Since she wasn’t sure what Ryuga knew, though it was clear he knew something, she didn’t want to risk his life needlessly. After all, he was being kind enough to help her when he didn’t even know anything about her.

Suddenly, Starla felt those eyes again. Immediately her skin broke out into goose bumps and she felt her body begin to shake. Looking at Ryuga, her teeth chattering, she whispered, “He’s here.”

Nemera felt the needle push through his heavy fur. It irritated him, until he realized he didn't really feel the pain anymore. In fact, he felt a little more energized. He felt his blood begin to pump, almost like an adrenaline. He watched the man bandage him and look for wounds. Nemera struggled to move away from his hand. He didn't like other people touching his fur. Nemera tried to stand, but his front right paw didn't cooperate with him. He slid back down onto the ground. A piece of glass was stuck in his paw. It was large, almost the size of his Ipod. He tried to rip it out with his teeth, but only succeeded in slicing up his gums. Sprinkles of ruby blood colored the ground. He looked at the hunter for help.

Jack forced the panther's head down, pressing the stock of his rifle against it's throat. "I don't trust you, so I won't hesitate to shoot. Stay still or I'll leave you bloody on the sidewalk and deem you as road kill." He ripped the glass from the panther's foot, quickly bandaging it up and helping him stand. "We need something to make you less noticeable. Follow me, my team should be ready now." He saw someone, standing in the middle of the street. He didn't seem human though. He was staring at something, and he followed the direction of the gaze to a convienence store. Not finding anything of interest, besides a human female, he returned his focus to the panther. "What's your name?"

Nemera, he thought towards the man. Also... Nemera stood behind the hunter, putting a knife to his throat. He shifted halfway human as he appeared. "Do not threaten me." He growled before slipping his knife away and innocently turning into a panther, again. Thank you for your help. But I must ask what you are. He licked the bitter tasting wound. Also, where do you go to make a cat look less noticible here?

Ryuga stood still and silent, "Get in the car, I will join you in a minute", he remained motionless allowing even the slightest of noises to reach him, his sword floating beside him now slowly unsheathed itself and found its way into his hand. He walked backwards towards the car, his eyes darting back and forth, the door hand opened itself as he moved towards it. Normally he would not be abusing his gift so much, but this was not a normal situation, he slid into the drivers seat slammed the door and put the keys in the ignition.

Casting one last glance around he put the sword and its sheath between his leg and the door and started the car, its thunderous engine would cause anyone to jump, though as for their still unseen assailant he was not sure. "Right, just don't look back, keep focused on the road and tell me when to turn and stop, then we will get there without a problem". He was focused know as he dropped his foot on the gas and the car shot forward out of the alley way, Ryuga's eyes did not stray from the road.

Before he could answer the panther's thought question, the thunderous roar of a car engine made him jump almost out of his skin. He quickly shouldered his rifle, growling lowly. "Someone is near." He waited for a few seconds. "Sounds like they're leaving." He looked back to the panther. "You need to go to a human form, and then I'll get you something to blend in." He sighed, holstering his rifle and checking his watch. Where the hell was his replacement? He was dead tired, damnit he'd been looking forward to getting some sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom