Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

I'm thinking of getting a tablet, but I have questions! (Will be deleted)

PatricioINTP

Supporter
Supporter
So I am shooting this thread out to see if any might have any comments or suggestions. Internet use for work is getting a slight crack down (thankfully I can still use Gmail and Google Docs), AT&T is going to start charging for high usage (100GB then $10/50 GB after that I think), and I still want to take my Internet with me. My Kindle 3 is okay for text heavy sites - like Blue Moon - but crap with everything else and typing on it is obnoxious. Now Amazon is entering the fray, expecting to release an Amazon Android Tablet sometime the second half of 2011. I am pretty sure Gmail and Google Docs will be up and running with Android since that’s all Google products. And I don’t mind paying a few hundred dollars. Well, until the dollar goes to the toilet. My main concern is monthly charges for Internet usage.

If I get just Wifi, will it REALLY be cheaper or will getting a prepaid 3G/4G be just about the same? It seems Xoom with prepaid = IPad2 and Xoom with WiFi only, and wonder what opinions are about this. I figure, according to the following figures, if 2 years will cost me 200 or less, might as well got the prepaid, and maybe let it expire if I don’t need it?

The Xoom was first released on Feb. 24 in a Wi-Fi and 3G version through Best Buy and Verizon stores, selling for either $799.99 for the device free of contract, or for $599.99 with a two-year data plan.

The Wi-Fi-only model of the Xoom will sell for $599.99.

The iPad lineup starts at $499 for a Wi-Fi-only, 16 GB model. A Wi-Fi-only 32 GB iPad sells for 599.99 -- the same price as the Xoom Wi-Fi.

Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/03/wi-fi-only-motorola-xoom-tablet-arriving-in-stores-on-march-27.html

Is it possible to make a Wifi hotspot via a PC USB connected to the Internet without installation? Is there a way to check for Wifi hotspots before making my purchase? The reason is if my AT&T DSL is still cheaper per GB, I of course rather eat into it even if I get 3G/4G.

Assuming I use it mostly for basic web browsing, Gmail, and Google Docs usage - which I use with my Blue Moon RPs among other things - how much Internet usage and fees will I be expected to pay for 3G/4G?

Can I download large games and other files for Android to my PC and move it to the tablet via USB?

If I watch 40-120 minutes of videos on Hulu, and an hour on YouTube daily (I don’t have TV, so don’t squak!), how much usage will that alone take and how much will that end up costing me? How about per hour of streaming audio/radio? Not using any now, but on the run I can see the temptation to do so.

And perhaps the most red hot question: IPad2, Xoom, or wait for this Amazon’s tablet or just wait period?

Back
Top Bottom