Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A New Path for Two

"What after all is favour..?" Alexader murmured in return. "Humans may think themselves wise enough to decide what is favour and what is not, but even they cannot see all the consequences. It's hard to gauge favour. So what would they expect in asking for favour from the Gods?"

"It is a story that makes one indeed feel softer towards death. One can even have a dreamy perspective on it. But still. As yourself I don't wish to die yet. And for the future, we will see."

For now he decided to let the conversation about those that wanted to bribe death pass by. Alexander was sure that eventually he would have more questions about them, but for now he had had enough talk of them. He recognized the changing of the plants around them that told him that there was a stream or another source of water close by. "Let's refill our flasks." he said turning to Hail, pointing him towards where he thought the water should be. He explained Hail about the plants and how they grew only with a lot of water and that it was wise to refill the flasks whenever there was a chance, even when it wasn't close to empty yet. Around this area it wasn't that much of a problem without water, now that they were moving closer to the city and through a forest. But there were places where every drop of water was more worth than a pound of gold.

They came off the main path to find the water but it was still going downwards and there also was a thin green trail they could follow. "Have you had many visitors recently in the temple?" Alexander asked suddenly, turning around to Hail. He pointed down at the ground where the grass was almost run down to the stones and earth beneath. Many feet had passed here recently.

"In the land where I was born, 'may you be loved by the gods' is a curse," Hail said, with a slight smile. He had mostly read it, but he had also heard it travellers use it, like a slightly more polite version of 'go fuck yourself'. The stories about mortals who got involved in the affairs of gods never ended pleasantly, after all, and no one ever got exactly what they wanted. It might have been why Hail's parents did not want him: born in mid-winter, in a snowstorm, with white skin and hair... What were a bunch of peasants meant to think?

"I would light a candle for Death, but I would rather not pray to him." Respect, but no desire to have that deity look his way.

"What are your gods?" Hail asked after a pause. Everyone had a few that they paid special attention to, either because their parents did, or the profession they did, or maybe because a particular deity appealed. It might sometimes even be considered a rude question, but Hail really did want to know.

((I added a few lines up there, did you read them before you posted?))

Though Alexander's attention had still not left the foot prints and his eyes were wandering through the trees and towards where he expected the water he considered the question Hail asked him. What Gods he believed in? Once had believed in Gods, in the Gods of his clan and family, but now he did not anymore. "I believe in the God of the earth and the plants." he said eventually. It was what he had lived from for years and though he had never learned anything about them he imagined those were the Gods he could speak to and grow attachment for. "What do you know about these Gods?" he asked Hail.

The path was growing wider with every step they took and eventually it pulled apart completely, showing the wide edge of a small lake lying on a plain plate of the mountain. It had been hidden well between the trees, but now that they stood in the clearing the many foor prints could be seen throughout the flattened grass. There were remains of fire places and large circles showed where tents had stood. "Look." Alexander said, showing Hail the imprints in the grass. "They must've been here not too long ago."

((I must have been writing my post when you edited, and hence didn't see it.))

“Not much,” Hail admitted. “Just the names.” His embarrassed smile meant that he had found the books and the teachings rather boring, and probably spent the relevant study time sleeping. Reading was difficult for Hail in general, with his imperfect eyesight, and he didn't care to do it too often.

“I suppose,” Hail answered, slightly dubious. Many people passed through the mountain. “Not everyone visits the temple. Could be nomads or bandits.” Or both at the same time, depending on how the hunting was. “I don't know.” Hail walked to the edge of the water, stopping just before it. The weather was good, and he was realising what he had forgotten in the nervousness and excitement of leaving. Hat. The reflection was clear enough for him to be able to see that his nose was already going red.

“I'm sunburned,” he said, wrinkling his nose at Alex, just to emphasise to himself that it did hurt. Probably because they had spent all day walking, even when sun was the highest. No doubt the healer had remembered to put another box of the salve in the pack.

"Hm." Alexander made, absentmindedly scratching his head while his eyes wandered over the clearing. "You should use a cloth to cover your head with, it will be pretty dislikable eventually, with the sunburns and your light skin." he said. Alexander hadn't had any sunburns long since. His skin wasn't really light and he usually saw the sun every day, in the more sunny areas. Skin got used to that, weathered.

Alexander bent down and pushed the water up with his hands, breaking the mirror like top of the water before he pushed the water into his face. He cleaned and refreshened it and then he drank and drank before he filled his flask. Only then did he start to make his way around the small lake, inspecting the foot prints he had seen earlier.

It was not long before the remains of fire places and the flattened grass of tents was seen. No doubt. There had been many people here and he wondered who they were if they hadn't made a halt by the temple. He showed the remains to Hail when he came across a small amulett that hung on a ripped leather strip. It was stomped deep into the ground and he would've overseen it, hadn't it laid close to the burned down fire place he was staring at. Carefully he picked it up and rubbed his finger over the form. It looked like a tooth. A human tooth.

(( I apologize for the long wait, I was distracted the last days. There will be another longer wait till Wednesday, I apologize.))

“I'm used to it. My skin has always been like this.” Hail got sunburned every single time he had to work outside, and his skin never really changed. What medical books existed in the temple had no inklings of what was wrong with him, and the healer had not really known either – just shrugged and said that some people were born like that. He searched his pack for the herbal salve and spread some over the bridge of his nose and his cheekbones. That should do for now. Maybe there were some people in this wide world who knew more about his condition... No doubt sunburn would be a frequent problem. He wasn't entirely unprepared though, having bought absolutely nothing without long sleeves.

While Alexander wandered the abandoned camp, Hail drank some of the water, used a handful to clean away the sweat at the back of his neck, and enjoyed the view. It was quite something to look at the still lake, the reflection of the sky and mountains above, and the small fish that sometimes disturbed it. The temple had tempered his youthful enthusiasm surprisingly much: Hail could admire the nature as calmly as a sage, and seemed not to be terribly curious about the people they had just missed. People were people. What they would do was their choice. It was only his problem if his and their choices conflicted, but in the end everything mortal would be flattened. Such was the teaching of the God of the Blizzard. (Finding the calm in the centre of the storm, understanding what they could not change... It was not a kind theology.)

Hail took the amulet and studied it. “Human, I think...” It did not seem to disconcert him terribly, but then again, he did have a ring made out of human bone on a chain around his neck. “People here sometimes keep the teeth of their enemies. But then why would this be here? It should be a precious thing, a particularly hated enemy defeated...” Hail had seen men, and sometimes women, with such talismans before, usually come to trade at the temple. The local people were the only way the monks could get what they could not grow or make themselves.

Death was something Hail knew, and human remains were come across frequently enough. The bare bones of a lost traveller, scavenged clean... Common, really. The mountains were dangerous, and possible deaths many. However, that someone might have forgotten an amulet like this made him feel uneasiness for the first time. “If it was left here... I wonder why.” He rewrapped his fingers around his staff. “I don't know. What do you think?” No one had taught him about such things.

Alexander couldn't say whom the amulette belonged either, but it didn't look like it was left on purpose. "I guess someone lost it and didn't realize. If it was something important they will return to search for it." After a moment of consideration he took the tooth on the leather band and wound it around his arm, tying it off with a knot. He wasn't sure what use the amulette had and what effect it had on him. But carrying it openly would maybe help them find the one who had lost it. If they came across anyone that knew the amulette they'd tell them immediately, he figured. And though it might be dangerous he was out for adventure suddenly. He had spent so many quiet and calm days. He needed some excitement though he was not particularly considering that he might be getting Hail in a dangerous situation that he, Alexander, could lose control over.

But the thought of the tooth was soon gone. As Hail had been drawn to the clear water so was Alexander now. The camp was empty so other things could be paid attention to. After a moment of staring at the water he grinned wickedly at Hail. Then he dragged all clothes off his body and jumped head first into the water. What a reviving feeling that was!

Spluttering with water and delight he came up again, a bright grin on his wet face, hair hanging in strands all around his face. "Come on in, it's grand!" he called, excitement bubbling within him. The lake was deep, he could not feel the ground beneath his feet and he could not look down to the ground either. He wondered how far it went downwards, mountain lakes could be very deep. Out of curiosity he climbed out the water again and jumped head first in again, this time trying to swim as far down as possible in hope of reaching the ground. The lake was clear, with his eyes open he could see in the water, and eventually the ground came into view through the clear water. But it was far far away, at least it seemed that way, and he came up to the surface again. This was a splendid place to rest and maybe even spend the night.

He was concerned for a moment when Alex disappeared under the water, and was relieved when he saw Alex come back up. All he knew about the mountain lakes was that they were icy cold and very deep.

When Alexander was close enough to shore, he admitted, “I don't know how to swim.”

It wasn't a skill much in demand up a mountain, after all. Hail had never been in water deeper than he could walk in. The most he was willing to do was take off his socks and boots, roll up his pants, and step a little into the water. Having his feet frozen was refreshing enough. He was willing to watch Alexander, however, even if he did not fancy going any deeper into the water.

Well, Alexander being completely wet did suggest that they might as well stay here for tonight. No doubt that they'll want a fire to warm up beside when the night got chilly. He waded out of the water and began to gather the firewood. It didn't even take much effort: just a short trip to the trees. The grass felt good under his bare feet. Might as well stay for a while. They weren't in a hurry.

When Alex ducked up he saw Hail plucking his socks and boots up and while paddled slowly and enjoyable in the water he watched the other. It was a grand feel, the lightness of the water closing around his skin, the freshness that sipped through every muscle and bone and cleared his mind as efficiently as only few things. He swung his legs beneath the water and dipped under ever again, tolling and rolling about like a little bird in the sky. It was a sort of freedom, not being to the ground, being able to shift through space like nothing holds you down.

"You can't swim?" he repeated when he saw Hail's expression and heard his words. When the other wanted to retreat he called after him and motioned for him to come closer again. "I'll teach you." he said and before there was a chance for Hail to flee he had him by the ankle and dragged him over the edge into the water.

He knew how fearful an impression water might make on those that never learned to manage it and he did not know whether Hail had any fears concerning water. But now he was in and Alex made sure to hold Hail when he fell in, spluttering and with a shocked expression on his face in response to the cold water.

Argh! Why had he decided to come back into Alex's reach? He lost his balance and fell rather gracelessly into the water, face first. He didn't fancy being taught that much, especially after he'd just had water go up his nose, and now that he felt absolutely frozen. He wasn't really scared of it, even if he had heard the tales of supernatural beings that lived in the depths... That involved drowning first, usually, and he was not going to drown where he could still sit in the water.

“You could have let me take my clothes off first.” That was a lie – Hail would just have done a runner. It was hard to summon up the enthusiasm for being cold and wet, especially now that he felt like he was starting to shiver. Nope, the only option for Alexander was to drag him in and soak him to the bone. At least he did have a change of clothes.

Not that Hail was going to feel impressed anytime soon, however. He felt just like a kitten that got a bucket of water poured over it. Not that happy and a little bedraggled. At least there would be a warm fire for afterwards. He splashed water at Alex's face, even as he concluded that the best option if dragged into deeper water was to continue to cling to the other man.

Alex grind, it didn't seem Hail was taking it so hard. "Now every day we get a chance to have a full over wash." he grinned and swam around Hail. "It's not so hard, you just try understand what I do with my arms and legs, and then I'll help you out doing it yourself."

He made the circular movements with his arms and legs particularly pointed while he eyed Hail, waiting for him to show some understanding. "See what I'm doing? Now come." He took the other by the wrist and pulled him into the deeper water. "Try to have a go with your arms first, I'll hold your hips so you won't sink like a stone." he said, obviously delighted by the little lesson he wanted to teach the other.

It was something different from all the stuff he usually did and apart from that he liked feeling the other, so neatly trained and muscled body move against his. While Alex's muscles, now again growing to their old strength and form, were rather broad and thick Hail's were lean and still efficient. It was a visible difference but Alex could not say that his strength was any greater than Hail's. But so far they had not had a chance to test that.

He tossed his now soaked shirt and pants back to the shore so that they would not weigh him down. Strange how scary the lake was when someone was expecting you to go swimming in it... It didn't help that he did not quite trust Alex yet, certainly not with his life.

Hail had no enthusiasm whatsoever for moving any deeper in the water than hip depth. What use was swimming anyway? His attempt to copy Alexander's movements led only to breathing in water and inefficient splashing. Oh gods! He panicked when he realised that he could no longer feel the ground under his feet, and he decided to cling to Alexander like a dead weight.

Back
Top Bottom