Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dragon Age 2

Osheaga

Supernova

• So! Who bought it! I got my shiny copy this morning. I was stroking
        it and kissing it all day. Already 3 hours in and having a blast, I adore
        this new radial menu.

I'm really excited to play it after I tried the demo. The fighting style takes getting used to but the idea of the game spreading over 10 years is very appealing. I hope to pick it up tomorrow and start playing.

I'm very surprised at the positive reception it's received here. I found it mediocre at best, the setting is fairly good and the story is also acceptable. The shift from the more old school tactical combat to action rpg is the real dealbreaker, maybe if the new combat wasn't so bloody boring or if the game was less combat orientated it would have turned out ok.
The quests mostly involved killing everything, and the whole thing just seems a bit rushed.

I loooove it! I know some other people that are playing it. We're always talking about the things that happen and comparing the differences that our choices give us in the plot.

Bliss said:
I loooove it! I know some other people that are playing it. We're always talking about the things that happen and comparing the differences that our choices give us in the plot.

Don't you find the choices just a touch inconsequential?

I started playing the game and loved it through and through. Granted, I only got up to the end of the second "chapter" where a certain battle starts in Kirkwall. I've decided to leave it at that and come back to the game after I replay Dragon Age Origins. I forgot to save my game the last time I played for DA2 so I'm going to redo it so I can use the saved game for DA2 with a new character.

Pelaste said:
Bliss said:

Don't you find the choices just a touch inconsequential?

Well, I don't think its entirely important for the entire plot to be changed by the littlest of actions. The game is still trying to tell a story, and before non-linear game play came along, the one-ending, one-pathway video games were just as entertaining. So I think its nice to see little, insignificant changes and tweaks based on silly things I decided to do.

Bliss said:
Well, I don't think its entirely important for the entire plot to be changed by the littlest of actions. The game is still trying to tell a story, and before non-linear game play came along, the one-ending, one-pathway video games were just as entertaining. So I think its nice to see little, insignificant changes and tweaks based on silly things I decided to do.

Don't you think that the game would be better if your choices had real consequences? Non linear game play has been with us for a very long time, elite(1984)?

I loved the game from beginning to end. The new combat system made the game all the more interesting in my opinion since in the last Dragon Age I actually found myself falling asleep during the actual combat sequences. They also managed to flesh out and answer a lot of questions Dragon Age: Origins didn't answer.

Pelaste said:
Bliss said:

Don't you think that the game would be better if your choices had real consequences? Non linear game play has been with us for a very long time, elite(1984)?

Putting a real consequence on every choice you make is rather foolish, not every single thing that happens has such an effect that you would find it noticeable. Putting such weight on minor choices can tend to ruin gameplay for some, there's lots of things in Mass Effect that may or may not have that weight, but that's because many of those choices determine characters living or dying and so forth, but in the grand scheme of things it changed nothing, it was more like a nod to your characters extended history as a whole.

I personally never found a whole lot of enjoyment out of Dragon Age, but I liked 2, never finished the story though. It was alright, wouldn't have bought it.

Broomhandle45 said:
Pelaste said:
Bliss said:

Putting a real consequence on every choice you make is rather foolish, not every single thing that happens has such an effect that you would find it noticeable. Putting such weight on minor choices can tend to ruin gameplay for some, there's lots of things in Mass Effect that may or may not have that weight, but that's because many of those choices determine characters living or dying and so forth, but in the grand scheme of things it changed nothing, it was more like a nod to your characters extended history as a whole.

I personally never found a whole lot of enjoyment out of Dragon Age, but I liked 2, never finished the story though. It was alright, wouldn't have bought it.
I fail to see that as a bad thing, have you played arcanum?
If you choose to tell the newspaper in Tarant your story riches and fame will flow your way, but assassins will hound you.

Its deffinatly a great game but its not keeping my attention like Origins did. I have 3 characters each of the different classes on the go at once and my warrior and rogue are just past the deep roads expidition but I cant seemed to get myself in the mood to continue further... Its not boring me Iam just not looking forward to the new big list of repatative mundane tasks I have to do next to progress to Act 3!

Is anyone interested in roleplaying something set in the Dragon Age universe? I have a few ideas that mainly involve veil demon possession and pirates! :)

Back
Top Bottom