Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Diverted Path (DareToDream & Hahvy)

The minute that he closed the door to her room, Caleb collapsed against it, his breath coming hard and fast. Closing his eyes and curling his hands into fists at his side, he slowly brought his breathing under control and fought to still his mind, which whirled with a chaos of thoughts and feelings that threatened to drop him to the floor. He’d seen a look cross her face when he pulled away initially, and though he didn’t understand it at the time, he got it clear as day when he returned with her food. She’d been on her side, her back to him, and hadn’t even bothered to acknowledge his presence then. Caleb was a man but he wasn’t an idiot; he’d clearly hurt her feelings when he left the bed and he understood why. How could he explain to her what he was feeling though, why he had gotten scared? It made no sense to him so how could it ever make sense to her? Pulling away like that had taken all the strength he could muster and his soul felt like it was being ripped in half when he did it. Even then, leaning against her door, he still felt a hard throb deep in his chest, pulsing as if it was trying to tell him something. Confusion was his friend at that point, confusion about what was happening between the two of them and confusion about his own feelings and thoughts. He hadn’t wanted to hurt her but he hadn’t known what else to do and now he wondered if he’d even done the right thing in the first place, for him or for her.

With a grunt of frustration, he finally pushed away from the door and headed back towards the kitchen, hunger now adding its own echo to the throb that rested behind his ribs. Grabbing a plate, he quickly filled it with food and sat down, staring out the window at the new day that was dawning. He wondered what new mysteries it would bring. It was hard to believe that anything could top the previous night, which would forever be etched in his brain. As he ate the food, he thought about the curious behavior of the wolves and the way they had come to guard over her. There was no other way to look at it than that, he knew, for she had clearly communicated with them and them with her. That brought Caleb’s thoughts back around to Rue and a smile graced his face; she truly was a unique woman, possessing both beauty, inner strength and intelligence. The unusual skill she had was also something that had caught his eye and for the first time he really stopped to think about it. He’d never come across anyone that could do that where he was from but maybe it was normal in her homeland. That explanation didn’t feel right to him though and as he thought about it more, the throb in his chest got harder, deeper, as if it was trying to tell him something.

Grimacing for a second, he ignored the pain and stood, dropping the plate in the sink. Pushing through the front door, he moved out into the sun and began to do his morning chores. The next hour was spent chopping wood, gathering eggs, picking vegetables, and feeding the chickens then he moved on to the horses. They needed to be fed and brushed down but the minute he got to the corral he knew that wasn’t going to happen. Each horse was running around the corral, tossing their heads and tails, clearly agitated by something. It was then that he sensed the presence and turned, looking for it. He couldn’t see them but he knew they were there. The wolves were still keeping an eye on her. Shaking his head, he decided it was time for some answers and pushed back into the house, heading for Rue’s room. Slipping in, he grabbed the chair and pulled it towards the bed, making enough noise to wake her if she’d fallen back asleep. “Rue, we need to talk” he said into the silence, wondering if she would.

As Rue remained on the bed, curled into herself, she started to allow herself to relax and feel the environment with her mind. It was intense, trying to spread herself mentally over the terrain and touched upon all the consciences of so many minds. In her state, it was a lot to handle. If she'd been herself and well, it would have been a walk in the forest. Easy as flying. She could sense the unease of the horses, still not happy with the wolves being around. Sighing, she tried to touch upon the minds of the wolves and urge them to back away and move downwind so the horses couldn't smell them anymore. It took awhile, a long while to her, for their minds to move just beyond her reach. She severed the connection and flopped against the bed, tired and sweating from the work. Exhaustion swept over her and she blacked out. How long, she didn't know.

Soon, however, she was jerked awake by the sound of the chair being moved. She sat up too quickly, the blanket falling from her torso, but her arms came up to steady her head as her eyes shut out the spinning. It hurt her arm and back to move it, but she couldn't help it. Taking a few breaths, she put her bad arm across her chest for modesty while cradling her head with her good arm. She heard him talk and analyzed the sound of his voice and his words. Rue wasn't sure what exactly to do. She let them sink in before she brushed her hair back. She felt horribly dirty and desperately wanted a bath, but she wouldn't be getting one any time soon if Caleb had any say about it. Sighing into the silence, she turned her maroon eyes to Caleb, catching the light and making them bright red for a moment.

"What would you care to discuss?"

The minute the words were out of his mouth, Caleb regretted them. She was different and it intrigued him, but it really was none of his business. He should keep his nose out of it, nurse her back to health, and send her on her way. That was the only obligation he had here. His life was complicated enough, with his mother sick and the hunt for the dragon occurring daily, and he didn’t need any more complications, especially attractive ones that pulled at his heart strings and melted him with their smile and warm body. The minute she rolled over and looked at him, her colorful eyes like none he’d ever seen locking onto his, he felt the resolve he’d built up moments ago melting away into nothingness.

He studied her for a moment, his gaze starting at her hair and sliding down over her face, tracing the curve of her cheeks and her full lips before moving to her chin and neck. Realizing what he was doing, Caleb squeezed his eyes shut and curled his fingers against his palms, taking a long, deep breath, using the distraction to corral his thoughts and calm his pounding heart. When he opened them again, he had himself under control and looked at her as impassively as he could.

“I’d like to talk about the wolves and how you can communicate with them.” He took another deep breath as he watched her then continued on with more. “And I’d like to talk about how you managed to stay on your feet as long as you did last night.” He got up then, shoving the chair back hard with his legs and began to pace the room, his control over his nerves slowly unraveling, causing his words to spill out faster and faster. “But most of all…” he paused, running his hands through his hair, then spun around and looked at her “…I’d like to talk about why, every time I’m near you, I feel a pull inside like I’ve never felt before.” He didn’t understand any of it and he wanted, but not wanted, answers.

She watched him, gauging his emotions and facial expressions as he sat there before he gathered himself. When he spoke, she sighed mentally. Of course he would have questions. He couldn't just accept what happened and she found that to be typical behavior of any higher functioning creature. She had questioned everything after she had changed and as she had grown up, knowing that it would be the key to saving her life. The sound of the chair scraped along her hearing and she winced, the sound ringing in her ears. Hearing more of his questions and demand for explanation, she glanced out the window. When had she ever answered to anyone? Never. She wouldn't start now even as Caleb seemed at war with himself. But a lot of it was because she couldn't give him the answers he sought. And she didn't know why they felt such a tug towards each other. She really didn't know the answer to that.

"I cannot tell you all that you seek."

She stated, her voice tired and scratchy. She hated her weakened state, but it couldn't be helped. Whatever was in her system that was dulling down her senses and gifts would keep her weakened for a bit longer, that she knew well enough. She felt as off-kilter as she had been when her powers had first manifested - only worse. Then her shifting had been erratic, now it was non-existent. How could she deal with being stripped of part of her soul? This couldn't last forever. She would have to test if she could maintain a partial shift for even a few seconds - even if it drained her. But that would have to wait until Caleb was no longer present. She couldn't have him trying to kill her if he was indeed the hunter. Even if he wasn't, he might call her a crafter and try to kill her. Crafters were people who used rituals to create magic that wasn't natural and most were killed on sight for their ways. No crafter was a good person. And they had hunted dragons down fiercely to use their blood and fangs and skin in their arts.

"I cannot tell you why I have what gifts I have nor why you feel that way towards me. I stayed alive the previous eve because it was imperative I survive. I escaped a fate I did not wish to have so why would I allow myself to die so soon after finally achieving freedom? Call me stubborn and prideful, I do not wish to die so soon."

Her voice had gained a little strength as she had spoken, but she was still weak and she still couldn't get away from the horrid feeling of being unclean. She found herself idly rubbing her skin on her shoulder as if it would get it clean. She looked back at Caleb with a unreadable expression as she moved her legs to the edge of the bed, not quite touching the floor.

"If we are done here, I would like a bath. I'll walk myself if I have to and find a way to do it on my own. Regardless of how long it takes me."

As soon as the final question was out of his mouth, Caleb let out an exasperated sigh and collapsed back against the wall, his hands balling into fists out of frustration. He was sure he probably sounded like a crazed man, firing off one question after another at her when she was clearly still recovering from whatever ailed her, but he couldn’t help it. They were eating at him, all of these unknowns, and he didn’t know what else to do about them but toss them out into the void that stood between them and see if she could, or would, answer any of them. One part of his brain berated that action, telling him he was imposing where it was none of his business, but the other part overrode that and let him stand there, staring at her, waiting for answers he hoped she could provide.

When she finally spoke, sounding worn out with a voice that was barely above a rough whisper, Caleb leaned forward, locking his hands onto his thighs in an attempt to force his rigid body to relax. She was willing to acknowledge his questions at least, to draw attention to them, and that was a step in the right direction. He knew he couldn’t force them out of her if she refused to talk, wasn’t the kind of man to even try, so he stayed still, wanting to see where she went with her thoughts. The news that she wouldn’t be able to answer all of his questions was disappointing, he had to admit, but at least she tried. He listened with an open heart and an impartial, though perhaps not unbiased, brain, letting each word slide through his thoughts. In the end, she only provided one answer to one question, leaving two unfinished, but what was he to do?

Her answers brought new questions to the forefront, questions that scraped at his chest, seeking freedom but he ignored them for now. Here was a woman that he could admire, one who accepted the skills she had as if they were a part of her and who valued life. Stubborn and prideful fit her well but so did strong and beautiful – in spirit and body. She had done what she needed to do, and though he didn’t understand why her survival was imperative, he could respect her desire to believe and achieve it. The fact that the wolves had helped in her cause seemed to indicate there was some importance, some value, to her life and he contemplated that for a moment. She was a woman of unique skill but was there more to her than that? Was she more than she seemed? Caleb had met a mage or two in his wanderings but they always vibrated with an unusual energy that he could sense, almost like a tingle that danced along his skin. He didn’t get that feeling from Rue but he also couldn’t deny this unbelievable pulle he felt towards her, a pull that went far beyond mere attraction.

Remembering her final words, Caleb slowly brushed a hand across his face and stood, his body leaving the sanctum of the wall that had provided him solace during his moment of angst. That she would want to leave her bed and clean herself was a good sign that her body was slowly healing and the fever was truly gone. The memory of her body against his, warmth spreading over both of them, resurfaced in his mind and with a smile, he walked towards her. “I have more questions, Rue, but they can wait until you’ve had a chance to get cleaned up and get some food in your body. Come, I’ll help you to the bath and draw the water for you.” He moved the chair to a corner of the room then and held out his hand, offering her his strength for the moment and hoping that she would take it.

She watched all that he did and an array of emotions passed through her. She hated that she couldn't speak of what he sought, but she couldn't give away her secrets nor those of her clan - much as they deserved to be hunted and slaughtered. Well, not all of them deserved such a fate, like the innocents, but they were already living in fear since she had disappeared. They wouldn't stop searching for her. But at least here, in his valley and home, she could find a way to live in peace like she had been doing for the past two cycles. Sighing lightly, she combed her dirty nails through her damp hair and found herself cringing at the thought of being so unclean. Dragons were all about being clean. It was one of those quirks she had inherited. But finally, finally, she was going to be clean and given more food. She was starving and took that as a good sign. She normally ate twice as much as Caleb probably did and knew she'd need even more food to restore her body back to good health. She just hated relying on Caleb right now.

When he smiled at her and held out his hand for her to take, she stared at him and it a moment before she turned her body slowly, moving her feet to the edge of the bed and sliding out from under the covers. She didn't want his smile right now after his outburst- much as she was used to outbursts- because it made her stomach turn in an odd way. She didn't understand it, and it just fueled her already foul mood. Still, she reached up to take his hand and slid her hand into his, pulling herself to a standing position. The air against her bare skin wasn't so cold anymore: another good sign. She was on her way to healing, much as she still felt awful and dirty. Rue would have to test her abilities after she had her bath - when Caleb wouldn't be around. Her arm and back were sore but not totally unpleasant. The rest of her was tired from her exertion, but the warm waters would take care of that. Sighing, she shut her eyes a moment to keep her balance steady before she opened them, realizing how close she was to Caleb, but denying the lure of his skin and lips.

"Lead the way."

As he stood there, waiting to see if Rue would take his outstretched hand, time passed slowly for Caleb. His mind, or perhaps more his soul, was in turmoil and he didn’t like the sensation one little bit. He’d always prided himself on being calm, controlled, and collected, the steady force in an otherwise turbulent world but since meeting Rue less than two days ago, he had been anything but that. Was this what it was going to be like all the time when he was around her or was this simply one of those instant attraction things that would fade away almost as fast as it arrived? It was yet another question that he didn’t have an answer too and added to the frustration that was boiling inside him.

As the silence stretched between them, doubt crept into his eyes and he wondered if she was going to leave him standing there, looking like a fool. Her gaze was locked on his, staring but not blinking, almost as if she wasn’t really there so when she finally moved, it caught him by surprise. Her body twisted, feet sliding out from under the covers and the rest of her body following. He had expected her to grab the cover and wrap it around herself but Rue seemed to have no need for modesty, at least not around him. When she placed her hand in his, a tingle shot through his body and he felt that pulse inside his chest again. Ignoring it, he helped her stand and waited while she steadied herself, her eyes closing. He used that moment to glance down involuntarily, the male in him overruling his polite brain, his gaze flowing over every inch of her skin that he could capture in a moment. When she opened her eyes again, he was back to watching her, trying to ignore the base impulses that were coursing through his limbs. This close to each other, he had an overwhelming urge to pull her into his arms and kiss her deeply, molding his body to hers but he smartly resisted.

Inclining his head to her statement he turned and led her from the room, moving slowly but not so slow that she would feel insulted. When they reached the room set aside for the bath, he let go of her hand and moved to the iron claw foot tub and got the hot water running. Next he grabbed a towel from a nearby shelf and some soap, plus shampoo, and set it near the tub. Turning back, he smiled. “The water should be warm in just a few moments - my tank is heated by the sun – and I left you a towel and some soap.” He moved towards the door then, pausing in it, being sure to keep his gaze away from her nudity. “Try not to get the wounds to wet or I’ll have to stitch them back up. If you need any help, just yell for me – I’ll be in the kitchen getting some food ready.” With that, Caleb nodded and left the room, closing the door behind him.

Rue took in everything that they passed on the way to the wash room. There were things here and there that spoke of feminine influence mixed with what could only be described as Caleb. She knew about his mother, so she could only assume this had to be her doing. For some reason, she felt a spark in her chest from that, but she didn't know what the emotion was. Some form of what? Territorial instinct? But why? Did she want her things mixed with Caleb's things? That didn't make any sense. They had only known each other a day. Maybe a little longer. Such strong emotion was to be disregarded. Amongst her people, Dragon matings happened hard and fast - some couples mating for life after just days of being within each others' company. This wasn't what was happening between her and Caleb. Caleb was just human. For some reason, the thought made her sad. She felt - and didn't deny- that Caleb would have made a mighty dragon. And she....she would have been proud to know him.

As they entered the wash room, she felt Caleb's hand slipped from hers and she almost moved to grab it again but managed to catch herself. In that short walk, she had grown accustomed to his hand in hers and now that it was gone, it was like she was missing something. So odd emotions were. This was why she didn't like to feel. She got confused when she did. She was careful in leaning against the door jamb, watching him gather up items for her use. The smell of the water was intoxicating and invigorating to her stuffy senses. She closed her eyes, taking in the smell until she felt the slight breeze from Caleb moving towards her. She listened to him speak, her eyes focusing on his face before she nodded and he left. The door clicked shut and she soon felt more relaxed. She could be at peace in the water. Dragons loved water and used it in play to create better social bonds. But for her, it was an escape from the chains that held her down.

She sat on the edge of the tub, running her fingers through the water, enjoying the hotness of it. Steam curled and wavered by her face. It was soothing. She let the tub fill most of the way before she slipped in carefully, wincing at the pull on her wounds. If her powers had been back to normal, she could have sealed them shut with her fire, but she couldn't so she would just have to suck it up. Once fully in the water, she sighed and let the dirt and grime slide off her skin before she set to work using the soap. Layers and layers of dirt and sweat came off and turned the water a disgusting shade of mucky brown. She knew she had been dirty, but she hadn't known she'd been that dirty! Snorting in disgust, she drained out most of the water and managed to turn the water back on and filled the tub up again with clean water. Using the stuff for her hair, she lathered up the black strands until they were like silk in her palms.

She cupped her hands and poured the water over her head, getting all the suds out. She washed her hair twice before doing another scrub down with the soap. Once she was satisfied she was clean, she relaxed and began to hum to herself. Her wounds were kept dry while her eyes shut and she enjoyed the healing waters. She could already feel that the water was working out her numbness and aches, giving her back some of her old strength. It wouldn't heal her wounds over night, but at least it would help her heal. How long she stayed in the bath, she wasn't sure, but she waited until it became cold. If her fire was working, she could have kept the water warm all day, but then Caleb would be suspicious. Sighing, she pulled herself from the water and rung out her hair before wrapped the cloth he had left out for her. She rubbed it against her skin to dry off and found herself rubbing it everywhere to get her dry. It was odd material and very different from actual clothing. But she supposed she was supposed to wear it? She stared at it, feeling it was damp from taking the water off her skin but it was warm from her skin as well. Shrugging, she managed to wrap it about herself, but it kept falling off if she moved her arms. Huffing, she managed to get it onto her body and tie it on so it didn't fall off. She hoped it didn't look silly.

Exiting the wash room, she glanced back and forth before her nose took her in the direction of the kitchen. It smelled like good food and her stomach growled with hunger. Her feet took her to where Caleb was and she took in the kitchen, looking at all the different cooking utensils and pots and pans. It was so different from her kitchen. Her kins kitchens. She sat down in a chair and ran her fingers over the table, the wood worn smooth from use. She was quiet, just watching Caleb, observing him from a distance. It was easier to be at a distance like this.

The bathroom door closed with a quiet click, separating Caleb from Rue, its sound reverberating throughout the room like the caw of a crow that mocks you. He turned and glared at it, feeling stupid but needing to do it all the same, and then spun back around to stalk away. It was a childish feeling to have right then, this desire to be at her side, but Caleb couldn’t deny it. Something was happening to him, something that was stealing all reason and replacing it with emotion, and he was becoming powerless to stop it. When he’d escorted her to the bathroom and got the water running, all he’d wanted to do was climb inside it and pull her down with him. To hold her and wash her and touch her, he craved it. It had taken all of his willpower to release her hand and move to the door, all of his strength to resist that pull that he felt, but through sheer force of will he had done it. Only now, on the other side of the door, he wished he’d been weaker and stayed with her. Clenching his hands into fists, Caleb paced for a moment, a deep growl rolling from within his chest. The sound startled him so much that he ground to a stop, his hand grabbing the counter for support. Staring out the window with surprise on his face, Caleb slowly calmed his breathing and stilled the beast inside him, tamping it down deep. He had no idea what had brought that on, nor why he felt the way he did, but it was clear that he needed to get a grip.

Pushing away from the counter he took one last look at the bathroom door and then went to his mother’s room. Knocking softly, he eased his way in and found her sitting up in bed, a book on her lap. “You should be resting, Mother” he murmured as he pulled a chair to her side and sat down to keep her company for a moment. His mother turned, her face pale in the morning light, and studied him. “I will have plenty of time to rest when I am dead, Caleb” she said, her voice teasing. “What I want to know is who the young lady is…” Caleb’s eyes widened and he rocked back in the chair, surprised by his mother’s revelation. “Mother! How did you know?” His mother gave him a wan smile, batting her eyelashes. “A woman always knows, Caleb….plus, I could hear you talking earlier and the water is running in the bathroom while you’re in here.” Hearing her words, Caleb could only laugh, the sound filling the room and drawing a smile from his mother. “She is a wounded traveler” he finally said in answer to her earlier question. “I stumbled across her late yesterday after a failed hunt. I think she was accosted by bandits and left to die but I brought her back here so I could nurse her back to health.” As he told the tale, he opted to leave out the more fantastic parts, fearing that the news would upset her. She asked a few more questions which he did his best to answer and then he stood and left.

Heading back into the kitchen, he busied about, pulling down two pans and rummaging through the refrigerator, the sounds of his movements stirring the stagnant air of the room. Soon he had bacon and eggs cooking on the stove and bread in the oven, their aroma filling his nostrils. So engrossed in his cooking he didn’t hear the door open at first but soon he felt that familiar pull in his chest and the hair on his neck rose up. Turning slowly he scanned the room and spotted Rue, his gaze sweeping over her tall form, noting the wet hair and and her towel-covered curves. A smile broke out then and he felt himself relax, glad that they were together again. It was a weird feeling to have for an independent mountain man but it was there all the same so he simply accepted it. “Hey you” he finally said, acting nonchalant though he didn't feel like that. “Feeling better? I made us some breakfast. Figured you’d be pretty hungry once the fever broke.” Turning back to the stove, he flipped the bacon over and stirred the eggs, then checked the bread to make sure it was rising like it should. He was itching to talk to her more, to bombard her with additional questions, but what he wanted to do more than anything was walk across that room and remove her towel, bringing her close. Glancing at her over his shoulder, he gave her another smile and then lifted the eggs, spreading some on two plates for both of them. When the bacon was done, he pulled the bread from the oven and took it all to the table, setting it down. "Come on" he said, motioning towards her. "Don't let it get cold. Dig in."

For some reason, she felt scandalous just sitting there in a towel. With her kind, being naked was more natural than being clothed and so clothing was...well, attractive to a degree. But she didn't want to think about clothes being off or on with Caleb in the room. It made it all too confusing. If he had been a dragon, her mother would have been able to explain it all to her, make it all make sense. But she didn't have her mother and Caleb wasn't a dragon so she really had no clue why she reacted so strongly to him...why she denied it to spare them both pain later. As the sounds and smells in the room filled her senses, she found herself looking at the man as he spoke. Truly looked at him. He had muscle and height, but not overwhelming in either case. He had strong and capable hands that she had felt firsthand. He was smart but constantly let his thoughts take hold of his actions when it wasn't necessary. He had restraint and kindness...What was she doing? Seeing if he could make a good lover and provider? Measuring him for a place in her bed? She could have slapped herself. He wasn't made for her. He wasn't hers to begin with.

"You have to let the bread rest..."

She murmured, hinting at nothing of her inner thoughts as they churned over and over. The eggs and bacon looked delicious but she knew that this wasn't enough for her. She frowned a little before she took a bite of the eggs and blinked before chewing slowly. Her palate fired up from the flavors before she ate more, attempting to eat them slowly so as not to startle him with her appetite. But Draco be damned, she was hungry. Soon, her eggs had been demolished into nothing and the bacon soon followed. As delicious as it all was, she was still hungry and was careful when taking a few slices of bread. Even the bread was good and warm and hit her stomach just right. But she was still hungry. She felt full but she didn't. So why was she still hungry? She looked at Caleb and flushed, knowing that despite her want to eat like a lady, she had just ate her food like a man. This was...a little flustering. She fidgeted with the edge of the towel like she was attempting to make it grow to cover more of her skin. She suddenly felt very exposed, which was rare for a dragon. Still, she couldn't help herself as she looked up at him and flushed, before speaking.

"Is there....anything else to partake?"

As he pulled a chair out and sat down, he watched her, his gaze studying her face, trying to read her emotions through the look in her eyes. Why, he had no idea as it wasn’t something he usually cared about but with Rue, he seemed to care though he didn’t know why. It was confusing, these emotions, but it appeared that is body was going to have them no matter what his mind thought so he might as well run with them. Slowly pushing her plate across the table towards her, he began to eat, letting silence settle around them. Strangely this felt normal, the two of them sitting at the table, enjoying the morning meal. Like they had done it a hundred times before and would do it a hundred times after. Even stranger was that it didn’t bother him in the least. He’d always been a lone wolf in a way, always enjoying his solitary moments when no one was around and aside from his mother, he hadn’t had anyone in his house in ages. He should have been feeling uncomfortable, perhaps out of sorts with her there, but he didn’t, not in the least.

He had finished eating a slice of bread when he first noticed it, the way she dug into the food as if it was the first meal she’d eaten in ages, each forkful disappearing as fast as she could pluck it from the plate. Fascinated, his own food grew cold as he simply sat and watched, utterly amazed by her appetite. Clearly she was feeling better though this wasn’t normal for most humans, a fact that was confirmed when she asked for more food. He raised an eyebrow, partly in shock and partly in tease due to the blush that was creeping across her face and he paused a moment to study her, the question on the tip of his tongue. In the end, he decided not to ask it, letting her have that secret for a moment longer and instead pushed away from the table and stand. “I have a few steaks in the freezer” he said as he turned, heading towards it. “I’ll cook them up and you can eat as much as you’d like. I probably have some potatoes around here too that I can fry.” Reaching the freezer, he plucked the steaks from it and grabbed a pan from under the sink. Normally he’d cook them on the grill outside but he didn’t feel like fussing with it now and suspected she wouldn’t really care. Firing the stove up, he plopped the steak on it and began to let it sizzle then set about peeling some potatoes and setting them on the stove too.

As they cooked, he turned and leaned against the counter, nodding to her. “I’m glad to see you up and about, feeling better. You had me worried there for a bit.” He wanted to say more but instead turned and flipped the steak over then fiddled with the potatoes. The aroma began to permeate through the kitchen, causing his stomach to clench in need. He glanced down, surprised since he’d eaten a decent amount of his breakfast and then up at her. Something weird was going on here, something he couldn’t put his finger on, but he didn’t know what. When the food was finally done, he slid it onto another plate and brought it to her. “Here you go. Eat whatever you want.” He’d cooked the meat medium rare, some inner instinct telling him she’d like it a little pink and bloody but that might have simply been because that’s the way he liked it cooked too.

At first, she hadn't noticed him watching her eat and then she realized from his secretive smile that he had been witness to her actions. She flushed more, combing her fingers through her wet hair to play with the silken strands out of embarrassment. It was a nervous habit she had developed- and figured it would be around and more apparent the longer she stayed within Caleb's company. He just did things to her and her emotions that she had no control over. It was frustrating and exciting but overall vexing. Why did Caleb affect her like he did? She had no idea. Maybe there was something at work here- something telling her that mayhap a human was good enough for her. Certainly no dragons were. But soon those thoughts were erased as Caleb told her about the steaks and potatoes. A man after her own heart. She preferred steak over most anything else and that he had several made her mouth water. Her stomach gave a small growl of delight at the thought of being filled with meaty deliciousness.

The air was rent with wonderful smells as the food cooked, making her sigh a little at the familiarity. But then she paused. Why did this all feel familiar and comforting? Like this had happened before? She turned her maroon eyes onto Caleb as he turned to look at her and lean against the counter. She took in his profile, watching the light play on the strands of his hair. He was truly beautiful in a rugged and boyish way. If she were to be honest-at least with herself- she could have stared at him all day and never grow bored. Her hands itched with the want to touch his hair and his form - to get to know all of him as he had of her. She knew he hadn't exactly touched every inch of her skin, but the feeling struck her. She wanted to touch all of him and be touched. To be as natural as possible and stop letting thought depict actions. But she couldn't. She couldn't and the impulse was struck down in its tracks. Her heart felt heavy. She gave a small shrug at his words, something noncommittal. Yet she couldn't stop herself from smiling, just a little, at his concern.

It took a little while longer for the food to be finished and she was in no mood to try to take from the silence that settled between them. It was actually comfortable rather than awkward. Her fingers had traced circles on the wood, humming a little song to herself as the food popped, sizzled, and cooked. But before long Caleb was back within touching distance and the food was set before her, ready and waiting to be devoured. She smiled at him as she grabbed one of the steaks and put it on her plate along with some potatoes. Adding some seasonings, she cut into the meat, watching some of the blood run out and the red center meet her gaze. She felt a grin split her cheeks. Knowing that Caleb had figured out how she liked her food, Rue felt her spirits perk up at the warm little feeling settling in. She ate her food a little more slowly, more for his benefit but still enjoyed every delicious bite with unabashed delight.

Caleb watched as Rue slowly pulled a steak over onto her plate and then piled some potatoes next to it, her hunger evident in her quick and efficient actions. As soon as she was done, he put a little on his plate but left it there so he could finish the eggs and bread. Not one to waste food ever if he could help it, he would take his time and enjoy every bite, savoring the taste and the way it filled him. It was a weird habit in a way because he’d never lacked for food growing up but he’d always had a big appetite so eating leftovers constantly was just something he did. His mom used to just sit and smile as she watched him clean his plate, something he knew most kids didn’t do, and it had always made him feel good to make her happy. Things hadn’t changed as an adult either. Finishing off the eggs and slice of bread, he reached over and sliced off a piece of the remaining steak, not wanting all of it, and then scooped up some potatoes.

He watched her as he ate, noting the calm and collected way she sliced each piece and slowly ate it. The enjoyment that showed in her grin was infectious and he couldn’t help but smile also. No one had enjoyed his cooking this much in ages and though he knew it was more about the food then the taste, it still made him feel good. Slicing off a piece of bread, he dipped it into the blood and juice spreading across his plate, soaking it up. “The bread’s really tasty if you dip it in the juice” he murmured softly as he took a bite, his eyes closing halfway at the sheer pleasure of it. He ate in silence after that, slowly finishing off the potatoes before working on the steak. When he was done, he took the plate to the sink and rinsed it off then set it aside for later washing before returning to the table. Leaning back, he continued to watch her, his mind whirling with thoughts. Rue was an oddity in his life, a beautiful woman with strange mannerisms and even stranger talents. There was so much about her didn’t know, so much he wanted to know, and yet…..he wasn’t sure if he should even ask.

Curiosity finally got the better of him though and he leaned forward, bracing his elbows on the table, chin in his hands. “So, Rue….once you’re feeling better, what are your plans?” He studied her for a moment and then sat back again, not wanting to crowd her personal space, though his gaze never left her face. “I promised you earlier that I’d guide you wherever you wanted to go and I stand by that.” A large part of him didn’t want to see her go though, wanted her to stay there in the cabin with him and become part of every day life but he knew that was a fantasy that probably had no chance for success, especially since he didn’t understand the emotions and feelings that were coursing through him whenever he was around her. It never hurt to try though and so he tossed the next sentence out there as casually as he could, trying hard not to get his hopes up. “Of course, if you had no actually destination in mind when you left home, you’re welcome to stay here for a while…until you figure out what you want to do and all.” A noise outside drew his attention and he remembered the wolves. “Of course, we’ll have to do something about the wolves. They are scaring the horses half to death.”

"They are restless, it seems. I will be sure to speak with them about their distance so as not to frighten your animals."

She murmured, hearing what he could not. She couldn't help but roll her eyes with a small smile. More or less, the wolves were playing a game to see who could frighten the horses from the closest distance without making them bolt. It was a bad game, but one she had done growing up as well. She sent them a message, whispering words that floated on the wind. It wasn't too long before the horses seemed to quiet down and the wolves stepped a little beyond farm. They would expand and search and keep watch. But now, they would make sure the horses couldn't smell them. It was another game of wills. She knew horses were frightened of her as well - after all, she was a predator- no matter how delicate she seemed to be. She wouldn't eat his horses - much as they looked tasty- but she had the feeling that they wouldn't appreciate her company. She smelled less like a dragon and more like a human, but she knew they would be wary of her after all that wolf business. Perhaps, she should just stay away from the fence. But what would be the fun in that?

Still, she mulled over what he had said. Should she stay here with him? That seemed like a recipe for disaster as she stared him, taking in his features. She wondered how she looked to him. She knew she didn't look normal. No one else had her eye color, though all of her people had pale skin and few with tan skin like Caleb. Black hair wasn't common amongst the people of this land either, but it wasn't unheard of. Still, she probably had the oddest combination of features, verily, she must look like some sort of monster. It wasn't far from the truth, after all. It was then that she realized Caleb hadn't noticed her tattoos. Were her powers truly that weak? Or perhaps, he just hadn't thought of them. Or thought to comment on them because she'd been on pain. Still, it was odd. Most women didn't have flawed skin. It was unheard of to be marked permanently unless by the hand of a father or a husband. Still, it was odd. She rolled her eyes at her own logic. She was just reading too far into things.

"I don't think you would want me to stay here for long...especially with my apparent guardians lingering about. Perhaps I shall think on it another time. Leaving doesn't seem...correct."

She murmured the last sentence softly, knowing he would hear it because of how close he was to her. It was odd, not wanting to leave a place so far from her own. Rue wanted some place to belong, much as she liked her own little home that she had found and fixed up. It was a nice little cottage with her own little garden, but she feared that it would wither and wilt away as she left it unattended. Or that someone might move into her place and find her things. She felt a strong moment of panic before she cooled her heels and ran her fingers through her hair again, feeling the cloth slip a little on her skin. She didn't bother to fix it.

"I do have my own little home...my own things...if I am to stay here, I would want to get them. But that would have to wait. My garden will...."

She felt a little bit of sorrow lace her voice as she watched her vision get glassy. She loved her garden, her beautiful flowers. The poor things would die without her care. She found it tragic. Perhaps it was just too many different changes in one day, and she knew she could always plant more flowers and take care of them, but it was her garden and just hers. She closed her eyes a moment and felt a wetness on her cheek and pressed her finger to it. She had actually shed a tear for her garden. Oh, how weak she must appear.

At her words, Caleb nodded, somehow not the least bit surprised that she took his request in stride and, though she did nothing outwardly obvious, he knew the way he knew he’d wake up tomorrow that she did something silently, sending some sort of message to the wolves. Sure enough, it wasn’t long before he heard the horses settle down, their frantic movements easing. Glancing over his shoulder at the window, he decided to see for himself and rolled from the chair, moving over to look out it. The wolves were nowhere to be found and he saw the horses idly eating hay and smiled. This woman would never cease to amaze him he thought, not when she could do weird things like that. It once again made him wonder what she was all about, what her game was, because it was clear that she was no “normal” human, at least not by his standards. He’d met talented people in his time but she topped them all.

Turning, he leaned against the counter and dipped his head. “Thank you. I don’t know what you did but it worked.” Silence stretched between them then and he used those moments to study her, perfectly content to wait it out until she spoke again. As a hunter, Caleb had spent many hours in the woods, simply sitting still and waiting for his prey to cross his path. This moment in time was little different in that sense and patience was something he had in abundance. When she looked up and their eyes met, he almost smiled but instead held his face neutral, losing himself in her gaze and the color of her eyes for a moment, feeling like he was sinking into their depths. The simple action caused his heart to beat a little faster behind the protection of his ribs and his fingers flexed, wanting badly to be cradling her cheeks while he kissed her. Blinking, he almost jerked away from those thoughts, wondering where they had come from, and he felt a slow blush start to creep over his cheeks, one he willed away by sheer force of will.

Her voice snapped him out of the trap that was his mind and he focused on her words, listening carefully. It was clear that she longed for her home, her garden, but had left them for a reason, one that he suspected involved running for her life from some unseen person or force. Her situation had all the signs of that kind of situation, from the way that he had found her in the wilderness to the fact that she had no belongings other than what she wore on her body to her clear wariness at all times. She was definitely on the run from someone or something and that alone made him determined to stay with her, to help her reach safety and find whatever it was she was looking for…no matter what it took or where it sent him. Caleb was nothing if not a protector, sworn in his own mind to defend those in need. He’d done it often over the years, helping where he could, and it wouldn’t stop with Rue, not if she allowed him to help her. His heart nearly broke when he saw the single tear slide down her cheek, her longing for her home so evident on her face that he would have been blind to miss it.

When her voice finally trailed off, he glanced out the window again, giving her a moment to collect herself and then began talking. “You are welcome to stay as long as you’d like, Rue” he said, finally turning to look at her. “Your presence is…oddly….not distracting to me though it has been a long while since I had guests in my home.” He knew that sounded odd but it was what he was thinking and he was trying to be as honest as possible. “I know you are in between right now, having left your home in what I surmise was a hurry, so if you want to stay, I would enjoy your company.” He moved back to the table, taking a seat, and continued. “I will warn you that my mother is not doing well so there would be times that I would need to care for her and of course I’d have to hunt for our food and take care of the animals. Your wolves are welcome if they keep their distance. Quite honestly, they fascinate me….as do you. There is something…different….about you.” He closed his eyes for a moment and then snapped them back open. “Oh, and you haven’t seen it yet, but I have a rather large garden behind the house. It takes up half a field and provides most of the fresh vegetables and fruit we eat. You’d be welcome to take over the care of it if you wanted.” His gaze fell on her face, following the path the tear had taken until he reached her lips, his tongue darting out to lick his own without thinking about it. “When you felt up to it, we could trek to your home and retrieve your things….if you decide to stay on permanently.” The idea intrigued him, both the trip and her staying on permanently, but he would place no pressure on her in that regard.

For a long time after she had spoken, she was quiet, listening to him talk to her. She liked the sound of his voice, the way he pronounced things and the natural tone that wasn't too deep or too light. It was nice. It made her want to close her eyes and just take it all in. It was an odd feeling, but one she wasn't overly opposed to. Seeing the look of sympathy on his face at the loss of her little home on the mountain side and her garden, she wanted to leave, but she remained seated, pulling the cloth tighter around her body a moment. Her skin was dry but her hair was still a little wet. It was already in the process of drying, which was also much faster than normal, but it wouldn't be noticeable. Her powers were still weak, so at least it hadn't dried as quickly as it usually did. She found herself twirling a small strand, just wrapping it around her index finger and playing with it. She stopped, however, when he said she was fascinating and different. She had to start keeping herself more guarded. He was already too close for her liking. The dragon crawling around in her head hissed at the thought. Or at least, that's what she wanted to believe.

"A..vegetable garden? Would there be room for flowers?"

She asked, genuinely interested. Her eyebrows had lifted, showing more expression on her face than she had given him before. Her eyes even lit up at the thought of caring for things - even as simple as vegetables. She liked knowing that she brought things to life - being a bringer of death did that. Maybe it was some of her wanting redeeming qualities. Maybe it was just her finding a sense of peace with someone so simple. Either way, it gave her a calm that only music could compete with. Oh, how she wanted to sing and play her ocarina or flute. But she had neither of them. They were at her little home. She wondered with small hope if he had a flute she could play. Did she dare allow herself to ask for such a thing? Could she? Could she reveal more of herself? Her fingers fisted the cloth in her lap gently as she spoke up again, voice soft.

"I would like that...to...get my things. But-"

She almost said that it was hard to reach for a human, but had stopped herself at the last minute. Maybe...maybe the wolves could get her things. Not all of them had to go, but she knew that if she asked, perhaps one of them would do so for her. At least, that was what she hoped. She relayed the message in her silent way, and heard that they would discuss it amongst themselves. For now, she needed to rest and let them take care of things. With a soft sigh, she turned back to Caleb, noting how plump and inviting his lips were. She found herself bending closer, inspecting his face, finding those barely-there scars again. He was beautiful.

"If it would not offend...I could help with the care of your mother by finding herbs and roots, and mixing medicines for her.."

Her eyes didn't linger on his for more than a minute before they drifted down to his lips, feeling her instincts flare up to take his mouth against her own and brand him. She fought against the feeling, never moving from her close position. It felt like she was going to burn up just from resisting.

His gaze moved, catching the twirling of her hair that her finger was busy doing and locked onto it, lips forming a tiny smile. In his experience, it was a gesture of nervousness, one she probably didn’t even realize she was doing, and he found himself wondering what she had to be nervous about around him. He wasn’t threatening, at least he didn’t think he was, and he knew his first impressions of her when he’d found her by the river last night were false. Rue was a strong woman, with unique talents, and he no longer doubted her ability to defend herself, not when she could command wolves with a simple thought or whatever it was she used. So why was she nervous now, he wondered. He’d already surmised she was running from something but he didn’t know what or why. Whatever it was, she had fled quickly, since she had been traveling with no supplies at all or at least didn’t have them when he’d found her. It was also clear, based on her aborted sentence about getting her stuff, that there was some reason she couldn’t return home, no matter how much she wanted to do so.

All of it was adding up to a mystery that Caleb desperately wanted to solve, though he couldn’t rightfully say why. Something about Rue was pulling at him, drawing him towards her, and it bothered him that this huge unknown stood between them. Of course, he knew she had a right to her secrets, especially since they’d just met the other day, but that didn’t stop him from wanting to know what it was. It was like a burning torch inside him, one that he couldn’t put out, and it was unusual for him, this insatiable curiosity. Placing his elbows on the table, he leaned forward and let the tiny smile grow into a big one. “There is plenty of room for flowers, though you’ll have to plow up more land to make the beds for them. I only plowed enough for the vegetables. You could do it by hand but it would be easier to attach the plow to the horses and let them do it for you.” He’d seen the way her face lit up at the thought of planting flowers and wouldn’t stand in her way. If she’d wanted to plow up all the ground everywhere on his land to plant them, he doubted he would have stopped her. To see Rue happy the way that she was in that moment was a wonderful thing and Caleb made a silent vow then that, no matter what happened, he would do everything in his power to see that expression again.

As silence stretched between them then, he noticed the way she was looking at him, her gaze not quite on his eyes. He blinked when she spoke again, shattering the silence in his head, a warmth spreading through his body at her offer. Here she was, in a strange land, with a man that she knew nothing about, and yet she was willing to help him care for a sick family member. No matter what Rue was running from, or her own situation, she’d opened her heart to him for just a moment and he had recognized that immediately. Yet again he felt warmth blossom inside him and his gaze narrowed as he saw her lean forward, the towel tugging tight against her body. His gaze left her eyes to trail down her face, over her lips to her neck before it finally ended up on her bare shoulder. Swallowing hard, his tongue darting out to lick dry lips, he let his gaze drift back upward again, imagining it was his tongue that was gliding over her skin, up her neck, to her lips. Before he even realized what he was doing, one arm left the table and reached out, his fingers lightly stroking over her cheek. That warmth inside him blossomed into a raging inferno, causing his lips to drop open in shock. “Rue..” he murmured softly, his mind vaguely aware that the heat he felt now was similar to what he’d felt earlier, when he’d been in bed with her. Leaning forward more, closing the distance between them, he drew his thumb across her lips. “…that would be…most welcome” he finished with a whisper, his lips now only inches from hers.

It was like a dance between them. One backing away while the other leaned forward in a way that lit each other up. She found herself ensnared by this dance of theirs, captivated by some unknown force that revolved around Caleb. Could she stop herself? It wasn't likely. The dragon inside of her purred as he stroked her cheek, feeling his cold to her heat make her shiver. But that wasn't enough, his thumb was stroking over her lips and her eyes widened at the sensation of it. He was so close now. So close, in fact, that she could see the different hues that made up his unique eye color, just as he could with her. His lashes looked feathery soft and full, the way he blinked almost in slow motion, especially with the low-lidded look he gave her. She found heat in her cheeks - excessive heat, that is- and found that she...blushing. He had actually made her blush and now she hoped that the extra heat didn't burn his fragile skin. He seemed to marvel in her heat and that made her purr even more- enough that he could probably hear it and feel it reverberate through her. It was one of those odd traits that even her kin didn't know where it originated from.

"Caleb..."

A whisper from her lips, her breath wafting over his finger as it stroked the plump pink lines. She felt her breath start to become more soft and shallow, her heart beat quickening. The heat coursing through her began to dry her hair out more quickly as she reached out tentatively to touch his own cheek opposite the one he touched. It made her grasp softly at the difference. His skin was so cool to the touch that she craved more of it and her instincts began expanding. She had learned so much control and now it was going out the window because of him and his closeness. She craved more of it. With a sharp little inhale, she leaned forward, capturing his lips, not caring for his thumb possibly between them. It took all she had not to consume him right there and then.

Somewhere deep in the recesses of his mind, Caleb knew his actions were inappropriate, having crossed a line that shouldn’t have been crossed, but in the heat of the moment, with a fire blazing inside him that was brighter than any bonfire he’d ever lit, he didn’t care. The need inside him in that moment was far too strong to be stopped by a simple moral thought, no matter how strong his inner conscience might be….at least when it came to Rue. The perplexing woman had only been in his life for little more than a day or so but in that time, she had placed a mark on his mind and heart like no other, a mark that seemed to draw him to her like a moth to flame. He knew it was dangerous, responding to a reaction without knowing why, but he couldn’t stop it and wouldn’t even try. Not when every raw instinct in his body screamed that this was right, this feeling that was coursing through him, igniting every nerve in his body with each passing moment. His thumb continued to brush lightly over her lips, tracing their shapely contour, rough pad of skin against moist softness, while his gaze stared into hers.

The heat of her skin was growing, seemingly warming on its own, and he vaguely thought that he should be bothered by it, but he wasn’t, not when it felt so good against his own cool touch. Her heat didn’t harm him, it only seemed to pulse against his aura of cool that his skin seemed to be giving off, which in and of itself was another odd occurrence. Inside, Caleb was burning up, the heat starting in his center and slowly rolling outward, igniting his nerves but it didn’t to affect his skin which he could tell was still cool. He recognized it now, this ambient heat inside him that had come once before while they were cuddled together in the bed, and he welcomed it now. Whatever it was, it was called out by Rue, though she probably didn’t realize that. Was whatever made her different on the inside in him also, lying dormant all these years? Or was it something else entirely, some animalistic instinct come to life? It was a puzzle that was too great for him to solve in that moment so he did the one thing he almost never did in his life – he set it aside, leaving it alone to be puzzled out later, accepting the moment for what it was and basking in it.

Sensation after sensation bombarded his mind as his thumb grazed her, ones that seemed to heighten when she whispered his name and reached out to touch his own cheek, her finger tips gliding across its smooth surface, leaving trails of fire in their wake. When she suddenly leaned forward, closing the distance between them, his eyes widened only seconds before their lips touched, sending a sharp burn cascading through his body. He slid his thumb out between them and fell into the kiss, his lips molding to hers like they belonged there, tongue darting out to tease against them. The hand that had been stroking her lips suddenly changed direction and slid along her neck, fingers trailing across her skin, and slipped into her hair. His fingers tangled in her tresses immediately, gripping them tightly, and he pulled her forward more, deepening the kiss, a soft moan slipping out. The kiss scorched him, seared his soul, but in a truly good way and the longer it continued the more he felt the heat inside him boiling outward until finally it burst across his body like sparks showering the air after a log is tossed on the fire. The sensation was so strong, so deep, that Caleb jerked away from Rue with a gasp, his heart pounding hard. “Oh my god…” he whispered a s he stared at her, his gaze staring at the hand that had risen from the table, trembling slightly and so red it was almost glowing. Looking at her, then back at the hand, he realized there was no pain, only comfort and he closed his mouth, doing the only thing he could think of in the moment. He leaned forward and kissed her again.

Rue had never initiated a kiss in her life before that moment. They had always been forced upon her with roughness and greed, never something more like pure need and raw instinct. Here, now, in this moment, she was consumed by the feeling brought about by something so simple as a kiss. While Caleb felt an utter rush of heat, she felt a sweeping coolness fill her, melding and mixing with her heat. Her dragon seemed to blossom under it, as if it had been waiting for a critical piece in order to grow. Her eyes had opened when she felt the plump wetness from his tongue swipe across her lips but was soon pulled back into the kiss. She shivered as his hand moved along her skin, leaving traces of cold in their wake. She hadn't realized it yet, but her eyes were shifting, revealing more than she could say. With her eyes shut, however, it didn't matter just yet.

His fingers curled into her hair and pulled her forward, making her gasp at the...dominance of it. It inflamed her, making her burn hotter as he cupped the back of her head, guiding her deeper into his entrancing kiss. It was like poison or a drug, she didn't know which, but she craved it more than freedom in that moment. His moan made her shiver, made her gasp against his lips for more of that melody. For her, it was like a blanket of comforting snow falling over her skin, like a gentle breeze after being too long in the sun. It reached deeper into her soul, piercing yet inviting. She was drowning in his chill. She didn't feel any of the warning signs that her eyes had fully shifted, like a pain in her head or around her eyes for it was so brief, it was like a quick stab of a needle. She gasped just as he jerked away at the sensation of icicles hitting her skin but in a sensual way. She could tell it was much, much different to him. Her eyes took in him, everything, in a different light. Some colors were brighter while others were dull and she knew then that this was bad. Very bad. Her breath came out in short bursts. Her irises were much more red, her pupils slit almost like a cat's, but more subtle. She prayed he wouldn't notice, especially with the way his hand was red and she noticed the color was spreading over his skin. What was happening here? He was human! How was this even possible? When he murmured, she swallowed, and then suddenly his lips were pressed against hers and she forgot all about trying to keep her secret again.

It took her to another level. His kiss truly entranced her, drawing out her dragon further, making her kiss more rough, more primal and it wasn't long before she was practically in his lap, both of her hands pressed against his chest while the one piece of clothing covering her frame slipped further. It showed her legs all the way up to mid-thigh, while the top part slipped down to show the tops of her breasts and the valley between them. It was precariously close to slipping completely away but Rue couldn't feel it, didn't notice, not when Caleb's lips and hands touched hers and made her feel unbearably instinctual and sensual, primed to take him within her body. The thought frightened her then, but the growl from her dragon shut that emotion down as she murmured against Caleb's lips:

"You will devour me.."

Caleb was lost, so lost he was falling into a deep dark abyss, his body burning from the inside out, lighting his way. It was the kiss that started it, he knew that somewhere deep in the recesses of his mind, but it had only lit the fire that was now blazing along his nerves, burning his soul in a fiery wave of molten lava, painful yet welcomed. The sensations were amazing, utterly mind blowing, yet so unreal and agonizing at the same time. Something was happening to him, something he couldn’t control, and though every instinct within him said he should fight it, a deeper instinct, one that was almost animalistic in nature, was telling him to embrace it. Through it all, he felt her lips on his, their tongues brushing as the kiss deepened, became something more, both man and woman molding into each other in a passionate, heated embrace.

He felt Rue shift closer, felt her hands on his chest and the brush of her towel against his clothes, but instead of pushing her away, he reached out and dragged her even closer, his hands falling to her legs and slowly sliding up her thighs, stopping only when they met the edge of the covering fabric that clung to her frame. Her skin was smooth but burning to the touch, so hot he should have been burnt but instead he felt his cool embrace her, sliding over her, banking the fire within. She choose that moment to break the kiss, a small growl sliding out followed by heated words, words that seemed to fuel the blaze inside him even more. Something inside him snapped then, pushing reasonable thought aside like it was nothing more than a gnat in a gust of strong wind, drawing a primal growl from his lips in return. His body shuddered with pleasure at the feel of her legs under his skin and he slid them higher, moving just underneath the towel then, fingers stroking lightly at her inner thighs.

“So hot…” he murmured softly against her lips, his tongue darting out to trace them lightly. “Burning for you, Rue…burning in a good way.” Those words were strained, pushing against his control, which before that day had been strong and determined. Now though, now it was slipping, slipping fast and without a worry in the world, something inside of him having opened up, allowing his soul to pulse with a thrumming beat that glowed. One hand slid up her back, tangling in her hair again – barely noticing how dry it was at that point – and pulled backward a little, exposing more of her neck to him. Without a thought, he dipped his head and nipped her skin then drew his wet, rough tongue along the length of her skin. His other hand left her leg and reached for the top of the towel, running his fingers along it, teasing the tops of her breasts. He was beyond normal thought at that point, beyond knowing right from wrong, and simply followed these new instincts of his, the ones that said she was his. If he’d taken the time to think about that, he’d have realized how ludicrous it sounded given that they’d just met, but he didn’t think, he just did and thus it was when his fingers closed around her towel and suddenly yanked it down, revealing her bare breasts to the air.

She was going to be destroyed. She was going to be destroyed in a flurry of cold and fire. The thought penetrated her mind briefly before she heard Caleb growl, felt her body pulse with the need to hear it again, feel the instinct that came from such a sound. The brand of passion and belonging felt singed into her skin from his fingers - burned into and then cooled just as quickly. Her blood raced, her skin flushed with heat and arousal that was both foreign and familiar, her breath quick and shallow. Truly, she felt like she was going to be devoured from Caleb's kiss alone. If they coupled- By Draco's fire- when they coupled, would they both turn to ash and snow? She gasped as she was pulled closer, feeling his hands upon her bare skin, his cold mixing with her heat, making the hair on her body stand on end while her nipples hardened from the change. The way he touched her made a dampness form between her legs and she found her cheeks flush further. It was all so new and made her ache so terribly that she didn't want Caleb to stop. Would die if he did. And then his hands moved higher, closer and closer to that ache before stopping at her inner thighs and stroking the skin there, making her burn more. Could such a touch ever be so torturous? She hadn't known it could be! Draco be damned, she thought as she listened to his strained words rush out against her lips.

"You'll..destroy me, Caleb...Don't stop." The words were also strained, matching him for intensity. The last two words were practically growled out. She shivered as his hand coiled around her hair before tugging it back, making her bite her lip at the sensation before his tongue and lips were on her neck, pulling a moan of pleasure from her, her hands moving to cup the back of his head and slide into his hair. His teeth drew a hiss of pleasure, her thighs pressing together at the pulse of need before he ran his tongue over the small little marks. She wanted marks everywhere. She'd never wanted anything more before that moment. Her instincts were just as strong and emblazoned as his, making it impossible for her to derail from the trouble they could end up in. Her dragon roared in her head, saying he was hers. Only hers. No one else could lay claim to him as she could. It was a thought that made no sense and yet felt so right. So primal. More true than anything she had ever known. Is this how passion truly couples? She thought, knowing greed and lust rather than true passion before this moment. But her question was unanswered as Caleb teased the tops of her breasts, making her gasp in innocent pleasure. But the garment covering her skin was soon pulled down, exposing her chest to his hands and eyes. She was bordering on nude, knowing that the slightest tug would reveal every bit of her skin to him.

She was not modest, but it was so intimate, so raw, that she was in a state of shock, awe, and need. She wanted him to feel more of her heat, seeing him able to take all of it and reveled in it. She took his cold, basking in it. How long before they were destroyed? She didn't know. She didn't care. She needed more. Had to have it. Her voice was rough, primal, passion-filled, and needy as she spoke.

"Touch me. I need to know your touch like my next breath is inescapable..before I die without it...Caleb.."

His entire body quivered, trembled and shook, energy humming along his nerves and fire boiling his blood. It was the most intense set of sensations that Caleb had ever experienced and together they were overwhelming his mind at the same time that they made his soul sing, the tune loud and roaring, almost as if he was a ferocious animal in heat. The feel of Rue in his arms, her heated body molded to his, tender sensitive flesh his to tease….it was wonderful, magical, right. He knew it as surely as he knew the flight of an arrow before it struck a deer and though he dimly wondered in the back of his mind the why and how of it, he was content to get answers later and enjoy the moment now. Two simple words had penetrated the passion clouding his mind, two words that gave him permission to continue. Don’t stop, she had said. He didn’t think he could even if he had wanted too and he definitely didn’t want that but knowing that she was inviting it, well….that just made it all the more easier. He felt the towel slip down, pulled by the strength of his fingers, but he didn’t stop and stare. No, with the feel of her soft breasts teasing the back of his hand, he continued his assault on her neck, his teeth nipping more. A jagged line of little red bite marks, spots that would eventually fade, led from her collarbone to her chin and back down again, each one soothed by the cool wet sweep of his tongue.

“Rue…” he whispered softly when he paused between nips, his voice husky and heated. “God…Rue…”. His tongue slid down her skin before slipping into the hollow of her throat, teasing it, and then his teeth lashed out and nipped her pulse point, that spot that was throbbing just under her skin. Caleb had always been a strong lover but the need to be aggressive with Rue seemed instinctual, pulling the dominant persona that was him out into the open where it could play. Hearing her next words, which all but begged for more of his touch, he moaned softly against her skin and then moved his mouth a second time, this time nipping her collarbone, his teeth clutching at the skin and tugging on it lightly. His fingers began to move also, tracing downward from her shoulders until they reached the swell of her breasts, his touch light and caressing as it traced their delicate curves. He could feel her burning heat, knew it should be scorching him, but instead his own innate coolness seemed to bank it, the temperatures mixing together for the perfect blend. When his rough digits final met her hardened nipples, he lightly grazed them over the tips, the touch just light enough to cause sensation without pain. They circled the little nubs next and then swept downward, sliding under her breasts, allowing his hands to close over them, his hunter rough palms scraping across her tips, drawing a shudder from him.

Massaging them lightly, he moaned again, a second shudder rolling through his body. It wasn’t enough though, not by far; he wanted more, wanted to tease, caress and lick every inch of her body and he needed it now, right that minute. With another feral grown, one arm lashed out and swept the last of the dishes from the table, sending them careening to the floor. His strong hands then wrapped around her waist and with a tiny grunt he lifted her up and set her on the table top, her legs dangling down. Using his hands and shoulders he nudged them apart and slid forward in the chair, bringing his body between them. Staring into her eyes, all heat and passion and lust pouring out, his fingers darted to the towel and with a few quick twists, undid it. Dropping the damp fabric to the ground, he stopped and stared, his gaze sweeping from the top of her head to the tips of her toes, taking in her stunning beauty and shapely curves. “My god, Rue…” he whispered. “You’re beautiful.” His hands cupped her ankles then and slowly began to slide up her legs, sending sensation after sensation chasing through his body, his gaze never leaving hers as they moved. When he reached her thighs he suddenly moved them to her hips and kept sliding upward, his head leaning forward. As his mouth kissed her knee and then her inner thigh, his fingers finally found her breasts, clasping onto her nipples. Pulling on them lightly and then giving them a twist or two, his teeth nipped her sensitive flesh before suddenly dipping forward, his tongue swiping over her molten heat once then twice. She was moist, ready, and wanting but he wanted to take his time so he licked again, his fingers giving another twist and tug.

The bites to her neck were driving her insane. She couldn’t feel the pain from her injuries in her arm and back anymore, but she knew somehow, that if she wasn’t careful, she could cause more damage to herself. Yet she didn’t care. Her dragon didn’t care. Nothing else mattered in that moment except Caleb. Caleb’s teeth, lips, hands, tongue, touch, and whispered words were all that mattered. She had once wondered if humans could bewitch dragons and she found herself ensnared now. She was giving into him, finding her hands delving and gripping his hair before one of them moved to try to pull his shirt off. There was too much in the way, too much blocking them from being whole. She needed to be whole – craved it, needed it, had to have it- and yet something didn’t seem right about it all. It felt right, more than anything, was like she had been waiting for such a thing all her life. But Caleb was human, why were they—

“Ah, Caleb…” She moaned out when he licked and then bit her pulse point, making her tremble beneath him at the rough yet sensual feel of it. It made her feel the pleasure of it as if he had penetrated her, filling her with such distressing yet beautiful desire. It made her want to be his. Had to be his. Belonged with him. The mark on her pulse point didn’t feel like it would go away. Would his mark stay on her skin forever? His voice practically growling her name was enough to set her on edge, feeling so heated and needy, craving something so primal yet she had only heard about it from others. She hadn’t known that the need to become one with someone was such a strong overwhelming desire. It was eating her alive. And then his hands were moving, touching, leaving a scorching yet chilling pathway down her skin until he touched upon her nipples. Her back arched into the touch while she moaned, the touch surprising her at its intensity as he teased the sensitive buds. It was raw and new and pulled a growl of delight from her throat. She could feel her teeth were sharper as he continued to tease the rock-hard and sensitive tips while massaging her breasts. The difference in their skin made it all the more captivating.

She barely even blinked when the dishes were swept away before she was lifted onto the table, legs spread before him. It wasn’t long before her garment was gone and she was bare to his eyes and touch. She felt a flush go across her skin but not from embarrassment or shyness, but from the feral need that blossomed in his gaze as he saw all of her. She knew he had seen her before, but perhaps he hadn’t actually looked. Especially not like this. And when he whispered her name so reverently, with both hunger and awe, she couldn’t help but feel that confidence most women had. That sexual confidence that she was exactly what he desired and felt no qualms. There was no doubt in her mind. When he looked at her and caught her gaze, she knew then that they were in fact her dragon eyes. Some of the colors were gray around him, while others were extremely bright. He had this chilling blue outline around him, much like she had a fiery red one and with the shift, she could see it. But why? He was human; he shouldn’t have an aura like that. Especially not one that bespoke of dragons. And yet he stared, making her believe that perhaps the lust overrode his baser instincts that he was in fact touching a predator. A predator that could kill him.

Never kill! Never hurt! Her dragon whispered into her mind, her own thoughts mimicking it. She could never hurt Caleb, she realized. Not after everything he had done, despite what had transpired before. Despite the doubts that had before plagued her. If he was the hunter, would she really be able to harm him? No, but if she had to leave, she would. It made her heart hurt unbearably enough to make her gasp. But then he was touching her, erasing her thoughts as he moved his hands up her legs, making her use her arms to support her body as he touched her so, making her moan out softly. It felt so good – she didn’t want it to stop. His hands continued to move up and up, dragging endless little sighs and sounds from her. He was torturing her endlessly.

“Caleb!” She gasped, hand sliding into his hair as he kissed from her knee to her inner thigh while his fingers found her straining nipples once more. He tugged and pulled, twisted, drawing more and more pleasure from her. She felt like she was going to burst into nothingness from the way he drove her mad. However, when his cool tongue swept across her womanhood, she gasped out sharply, never having felt a touch there before. It lit a fiery path of need in the wake of his tongue, one that had her involuntarily opening her legs more and digging her fingernails into the table. She knew she was marring the table, but she couldn’t help it. The combination of his relentless fingers and teasing tongue were more than she could bear, and yet it wasn’t enough. Not nearly enough.

“What are you doing to me? Aahh, Caleb,” Rue groaned out, feeling so unlike herself and yet more like herself than she had before. It was confusing, wild, new, feral, and encompassing her entire sense of self. She was burning, burning, and she was going to light the entire world on fire.

Time had stopped for Caleb, the minutes ticking away as unnoticed as leaves that float to the ground during the seasonal change. He knew there was a world outside of that room, which moved like it normally moved, but in that moment all of his focus was on one thing or, rather, one woman and all else had been pushed aside, completely ignored. The feel of Rue’s hardened nipples in the grip of his fingers and her molten core, moist yet heated, under his tongue sent tiny tremors of pleasure sliding through his body in waves. He gave her sensitive tips another twist then pulled on them lightly before finally letting them go and cupping her breasts completely, rough hands massaging them with gentle squeezes and rubs. His tongue swiped up the length of her opening one more time then stopped at the top, flicking the other tiny nub that he found repeatedly, teasing it unmercifully for a moment. That Rue was still pretty much a stranger to him was a fact that he’d completely forgotten, his body and mind far to aroused to think straight by then. All he knew was the fire burning through his body, the feel of her skin in his hands, and the call of her soul to his.

Her moans and gasps, noises that signaled the pleasure he gave her as surely as a trumpet call, only made Caleb want to please her more and so he shifted his tongue again, this time plunging it inside her as far as he could and then slowly drawing it out to scrape across her folds. As he repeated the movement again and again, his hands slowly slid from her breasts and moved to her back where they slowly traced along her spine. He could feel the flare of heat along her skin with each inch that his fingers caressed, his icy cool sliding out to bank it, creating that perfect blend that simply felt right. There was no understanding it, no identifying it, no nothing; it simply was and he accepted that as readily as he accepted the very fact that his head was buried between her legs, feasting on her delicious core. As his tongue slipped from within her again, a crunching sound could be heard, one that caused him to pause for just a moment as if he would consider what it was. Another flare of heat within him though, one that pulsed hard enough to set his nerves ablaze, drew his attention back to his task and so he continued to tease her folds, discarding the strange sound in favor of more pleasurable ones.

His gliding hands moved ever lower, creeping along her skin, until they slid over the curve of her ass. Cupping her cheeks, that bit he could grab at least, Caleb suddenly slid her forward at the same time he thrust his tongue, plunging it inside her harder. Inside his body a storm was brewing, one that he could feel but not touch, and it pushed him on, telling him to do more. She was his, that storm said, his to take whenever and however he wanted and the more he worked her over, the fiercer it grew, pounding against his mind and his soul with a fevered pitch. When his tongue finally left her molten core and moved back to that other sensitive spot, slowly circling it, the storm began to shudder and tremble inside, like a wild bear coming out of a winter slumber and shaking off the cold. The pressure built and built, straining against his insides, until finally it burst in an explosion of mind numbing pain. The heat of a thousand suns burned their way through his body, melting away awareness and reasoned thought, leaving only primal urges in their wake, urges that told Caleb in very clear terms what he needed to do next.

With another groan, Caleb swiped his tongue across that spot one last time and then slowly drew his head from between her legs, turning his gaze upward. He could feel the heat inside him, knew it had changed him somehow, but he didn’t care. The pain was gone now, replaced by a strength that he’d never experienced before and it fueled him. As his gaze locked with Rue’s he rose to a standing position, his hands on her thighs as leverage. “Rue” he gasped, his body tense and almost rigid with need. “God…Rue…I want you…..need you…” He reached out then and grabbed her hand, yanking her off the table, pulling her against him. “I can’t stop it, Rue” he murmured, his voice hoarse. “C-can’t control it.” As if those words were the trigger that gave that storm inside him control, Caleb growled again and suddenly spun Rue around, his strong hands forcing her to bend over, pressing her body against the hard surface of the wood. Take her! A voice inside his head roared, the sound bouncing off the walls of his skull hard enough to rattle his thoughts. Take her now! Caleb’s eyes widened when he realized that something was inside him, something powerful and strong, something…majestic. He fought against it, tested its will with his, pushed back with all he was worth but in the end, his efforts were obliterated by another beastly roar, one that overwhelmed him. Staring down at Rue’s nude form pressed to the table, her body eager and wanting, he gave in to his inner beast. Within moments one hand was locked in her hair, keeping her pinned, while the other yanked his pants down over his hips and then he pressed his hard shaft against her moist and eager flesh. “Mine” he rumbled, his voice deep and fiery, as he reached down and positioned himself just right. “Mine, Rue” he said, the words this time coming out as a growl, his hips slamming forward at the same time, driving himself deep inside her.

Back
Top Bottom