Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Intercorps (Hedonist Monk and Lady Higashi)

"...As you can see, our new interport transmatter system will allow you to make trips between planets in mere seconds, and between stars in minutes, as opposed to hours and days. Here at Evercore Technologies, we ARE tomorrow." The hologram slideshow ended in perfect synchronization with Evander's speech. The lights in the room returned to regular brightness, and the chairs around the table swiveled from the holoprojector to bring Evander face-to-face with a board of executives, directors, and researchers. Running with PR his whole life, it was very easy for him to give and field presesentations, but when they were over, he always found himself at a loss for something useful to say. Fortunately, he'd had enough experience to muddle his way through it. Once he was sure he had all the eyes in the room on him again, including the ones looking from a screen on the wall, he smiled and spoke again, an easy voice that had been developed from years of presentations and customer service, the kind of voice that said 'everything's alright' and 'I have the situation under control', "Well," He smiled with each word, "Do we have any questions?"

After fielding a few questions about the intricacies and cost efficiency of the device, as well as the idea of modifying it for instantaneous, small-object, interplanet transport, the meeting shifted to a close. A grey-haired man who Evander knew for a fact to have at least two artificial limbs stood up and made a motion to the rest of the staff members, indicating he would speak for all of them."Mr. Wallsmith," He began, his booming voice echoing within the small room, "We will definitely be backing this motion wholeheartedly. It should be remembered, though, that we aren't the only ones working on this technology." Evander nodded. He knew all of that beforehand, Interport Transmatter Technology (IPTM Tech, for short) had been a goal of several corporations for a while.

"Sir, despite the research I know other company's are putting into there own versions of our device, I calculate that our resources, brilliant R & D department, and public face should be sufficient to give us the lead we need to close the deal on Interplanet Transmatter Tehcnology." It wasn't actually much of a stretch. There was only one other company with the resources and finances to match Evercore, and he had no reason to believe they'd be on the same project. His answer seemed to placate the director, anyway, he smiled, and returned to his seat. After a secretary made notes of time, the meeting ended, and it's members slowly dispersed, until only Evander remained in the conference room, packing up his presentation projector. When he turned back around, his old buddy, Jack Fitzgerald, was there, loudly clapping him on the back.

"Good on ya, 'Vander," Jack was smiling stupidly, and handed Evander a folder containing his copy of the meeting notes. "Gettin' old man Brass to back you on the project is a big deal. I don't know about you, but after months of busting my ass on this project, I'm getting drunk tonight."

Evander chuckled and shook his head. "Elegant, Jack... though not a bad idea. I'll probably be hitting a club myself. Though I'd prefer to remain mostly conscious." Evander slowly went over the options in his head. The Worm's Hole is probably where Jack would be, getting drunk out of his mind. Spectrum Night Club would be a good choice, but it was a bit louder and flashier than he wanted tonight. Worse, most of his fellow employees are known to go there, and he'd prefer to leave the office at the office, tonight. He could go to Black Silk, though. He'd never run into anyone from work there, and the retro feel of the place was very comforting to him. It was loud but not noisy, and small but not tiny. And the people there were generally intelligent and good looking. Yes, he'd definitely be stopping in at Black Silk, and he'd enjoy it.

The last few hours of the work day evaporated by quickly. He spent time organizing task groups and distributing schedules. When the clock hit 4:00, he excused himself, and drove home, fourteen blocks away and two levels up. Shedding the stuffy business suit, he dressed in something more casual, brown jacket over a silver-trimmed button-up, wearing a split tie loose around his neck. Black Silk was a neo-retro scene, and Wallsmith knew how to look good, his days from the Public Relations department and his experience giving presenations had taught him that, if nothing else. By 5 o'clock, he was back in the car, heading to the club. The lights in the sky were slowly being replaced by lights from signs and hovering "lamp posts", really just hovering lanterns dotting the many sidewalks and roadways that spidered through the city. Black Silk was on the far end of town, so he had plenty of time to take in his surroundings, and to consider just how drunk he would allow himself to get that night.

The work week was finally over and what a relief it was. No more meetings, no more presentations, and no more stupid acronyms... at least for now. Hazard Inc. had no intention of becoming obsolete and immediately jumped on the IPTM bandwagon. Everyone worked at a furious pace to catch up with Evercore Technologies, who had been working on the technology at least a few months prior. Persephone rubbed her temples as the PR crew finished their presentation. Her job was finished, having already given her presentation on market saturation, Risk and Return evaluation and a cost efficiency evaluation. Once the meeting came to a close, she was quick to take her leave.

It was a Friday and after such a draining work week, she was ready for a bit of R & R. Persephone sighed as she entered her high rise apartment and began her ritual. After closing the door, she dropped her keys onto the glass end table and turned on her surround system radio. After a taking a moment to check her mail and drop them on the end table, she slowly removed her business suit. Under normal circumstances, she would go into her bedroom and strip, but this was just one of those days. She undressed as she walked around, anxious to shake that restricted feeling.

When she saw the number of messages flashing she groaned. She could only guess who called: her mother, her older brother, Rick and any number of people that she hadn't had time to call or deal with. After a moment of hesitation she finally pressed the button and did the quick scan. When Cecilia's voice popped up, she was quick to rewind and listen to the message. Cecilia was one of Persephone's good friends. They lead busy lives and tended to go long periods of time without communicating with each other, however that never effected their relationship. As soon as one calls the other, it was like picking up where they left off. She hovered over the machine and the message did nothing more than bring a smile to her face.

"Hey girl, I know you've been busy at work, I was just calling to check on you. Listen up, there's a popular club in town, you should go there and unwind. It is the place you've been looking for. Its called, Black Silk. You'll find it off of Mason Blvd. You can't miss it. Oh and uh, dress your best. Looks can kill--"
Persephone laughed as a baby's squeal interrupted the message. "--There goes my freedom. Call me when you get a chance. Later."

A drink sounded fantastic... An excuse to dress to impress...Even better.

Persephone took her time getting ready. She pampered herself from head to toe and now that she was standing in front of the mirror, she couldn't be more enthusiastic about going to Black Silk. Because of the dress code, she decided to go all out, wearing a strapless emerald green dress with brown panty hose and matching green heels. She liked how the green went elegantly with her golden hued, brown skin and clung to her curves. She was ready for a nice evening out and with an elegant turn, she headed out.

She bobbed her head to the music as she cruised the streets. Music is a good way to get into the mood and her mood was laid back. She had no idea what to expect at this Black Silk, but Cecilia was never wrong. She parked her sleek Mercedes at the edge of the parking lot and stepped out, taking in her surroundings. She liked the place already and hadn't even waltzed inside. Her heels tapped lightly on the pavement as she went to the entrance. A doorman stepped aside and allowed her entry without question and as soon as she stepped inside, a slow smile curved her lips.

Upon entering, you ascend a few stairs onto a plush velvet carpet. The bar was along the northern wall, laden with the finest alcoholic beverages available. Persephone chuckled as the bartender did a routine of flipping the glasses before filling them and serving a group of anxious customers. There was a classy feel, with the piano man's lilting tune and the dark and elegant ambiance. Persephone let her eyes drift over the sharply dressed clientele as they actively mingled, casually smoking or sipping a drink. This was definitely the kind of relaxation that she needed. No one from her job would ever set foot in here and that made the place even more appealing.

Persephone glanced once again, at the overcrowded bar and sighed. Even in the most posh of places, the bar is always overcrowded. Willing to wait for that much needed drink, she took a seat on the outskirts of the dance floor. She glided into her seat and rested her chin casually in her hand. Closing her eyes, she drew a deep calming breath and listened to the music.

The car hummed silently as it pulled up to Black Silk, it's simple and clean exterior inviting in a city that was filled with so much smog and litter. He strode confidently to the door, and gave the doorman a polite smile. Fortunately, he'd been there enough times and was recognizable enough that he didn't need to flash his ID or pay anything to get in. So when the doors opened and Evander stepped into his favorite club, the only thing he left outside was his his responsibility.

Once he was inside, he was able to melt away from price modules and failed prototypes and struggles with bickering teams and departments. Here, his most pressing concern was what to order, and the line he'd have to fight through to get it. Deciding it was probably worth it to wait first and catch a smoke, or just relax for a while. Like an content feline, he circled around the dance floor at a lazy pace looking for a seat. Ideally, it'd be near someone interesting, or attractive. A few people caught his eye, but of the few, only one wasn't actively involved with another person. Or anything, it looked like; she was delicately relaxed into her chair, eyes lazy, lost in the atmosphere. He carefully took a seat next to her, his years of composition and presentation training actively shaping him into something presentable. Before he started to speak, he carefully pulled his cigarette pouch out. Non-toxic, they were little more than tiny cylinders of relaxing herbs and chemicals. Some people still bought old nicotine-and-tar cigarettes, but the yellowing teeth and skin were not something an up-and-coming public face like Evander could risk.

"So," He started abruptly, but with practiced confidence and detachment, smoothly pulling out a lighter as he spoke, "Do you come here often?" It was a cliche line. But despite being able to make anything look good, Evander didn't do the whole 'think-on-his-feet' thing. He struggled through conversations he doesn't have planned ahead of time. But again, he made up for it with his practiced charm. He lit the cigarette as he waited for his words to sink in, and for her to respond.

A smile flicked across his face. He hadn't even gotten a drink yet, and he was flirting. He didn't have to work for a good few days, so why shouldn't he? His mind drifted lightly towards the next few days, and what they could be, but decided not to get ahead of himself. After all, he hadn't even gotten her name down yet. He silently chided himself, and got back on ball. "Here, if you need it," He offered another cigarette, using just his thumb to push it out of its pouch, "NoTox 95's," He added, taking the opportunity to read her response, and, by extension, her personality. She piqued his curiosity more than most women, for some reason. He smiled his thousand dollar smile at her, trying to communicate as many feelings as he could without speaking. After all, the best connections are the inaudible ones.

After taking a quick glance back at the bar, she sighed. It actually looked worse. She began to wonder if maybe she should just buy something for the trip home. With another wistful sigh, Persephone continued her relaxed perusal of the club scene. As she took in the various tables of people chatting, she began to notice how odd it must look for her to be alone. She did however notice someone casually strolling around the dance floor.

What if he approached you, she began to ask herself. With a flick of her wrist she chided herself for her immature thinking and chose to shift her gaze elsewhere. The sound of a scraping chair drew her attention and when she saw him, her eyes widened slightly. Persephone was actually taken aback that someone would come to sit with her.

Immediately, Persephone noticed his smooth and calculated movements. He somehow struck her as a man that cared about his appearance. Her lips tilted into a smile with his opening line. It was cliche, yet it served its purpose. He had her attention completely and she was ready with her own natural charm. Persephone chuckled softly and leaned toward him.

"Not yet." She replied. "This is my first time." Persephone paused briefly while she looked him over once again. "So what brings you my way, stranger?" She asked, leaning back in her chair.

Meeting his gaze, she lifted her hand slowly and took him up on his offer, accepting one of his nontoxic cigarettes. Persephone then nodded towards his hand. "I see you don't have a drink. Was the crowd too wild for you, as well?" With a small smile, she gracefully held the cigarette to her lips and waited for a light.

Evander took notes at each of her replies, and filed them in the little notebook at the back of his brain. Intelligent replies. Careful motions; she was no stranger to flirting, even if she was a stranger to this particular bar. He nodded quaintly to her replies. "It's a relatively quiet joint, but all the better for it." He had a quiet tingling feeling as she gave him the look-over, knowing that she was probably scrutinizing him as much as he was her, "And I'd reason I came here the same reason any gentleman approaches an attractive young woman," He punctuated the sentence with another smile, before casting another look at the bar.

Still a bit crowded, though the waitresses looked less like their heads were helicopter blades. Give it another set of minutes for the just-off-the-job crowd to get their fix and settle down, and Evander might be able to buy drinks. "I imagine a good fifteen minutes before I feel comfortable diving into that particular melee," His comment was only coincidentally aimed at the woman, he really was in no mood to fight for drinks, although if it took more than 30 minutes, he may very well have to just order drinks anyway, and become one of the mob.

Nimble fingers selected the lighter from his sleeve-pocket, and lit the cigarettes, first hers, then his own. He tried to do it in as calculated and professional a manner as possible, down to the way he replaced the lighter in his pocket, and how he drew the first drag on his cigarette. He let the dark flavor sit in his mouth for a while before he released it slowly, savoring the taste of smoke instead of conversation for a few seconds.

"So, first time, huh?" He pulled up the only real piece of information she'd given him, "Black Silk is a unique joint. Not sleazy, not poppy, not forcefully retro. It just fits. Exclusive, too. Takes more than a fake ID to get in, and more than a name to find it. Who turned you onto it?" He was fishing for information in the easiest way he knew how, polite conversation and all the interest he could muster, real and feigned. Sometimes even he couldn't tell. He wanted to be interested in this girl, and maybe he was. But given how much time he spends telling people he cares about their problems, issues, and diagrams when he doesn't, it can get a little difficult to tell the face from the man, even for the man behind the face.

But that was all a part of the game of flirting and seduction and people, wasn't it? After all, the best way to get anything is to put your best foot forward, even if it's a foot you're not particularly fond of.

"Thank you," she said politely as she took a few deep puffs from her cigarette, rolling the smoke in her mouth. Considering that she was in dire need of a drink, the cigarette proved to be a decent substitute. She liked the unique flavor on her tongue and licked her lips slowly, with a very soft, pleased moan. She liked this man, something about him appealed to her, and kept her at ease. Even she liked that she was flirting without the need of alcohol in her system. Maybe it was his calculated smoothness. She couldn't help but smile and blush prettily to his compliment. Her eyes sparkled as she spoke. "Why thank you most kindly sir." After she bit her lip and pushed a tendril behind her ear she continued. "I must admit, I am quite impressed with this place. I was actually admiring the decor. I like how classy it looks. And--considering the horror stories I have when it comes to going out? I very much appreciate exclusivity. Even if there is a group of piranhas at the bar." She joked lightly.

With each passing glance, Persephone found herself even more intrigued by him. Just noting his facial expressions and movements, he brought a new meaning to flirting. "A good friend of mine sent me here. She said that it was exactly what I was looking for and to trust her." She paused for a moment, meeting his gaze. "I'm quite glad I did." Her voice lowered slightly with that last phrase, a seductive lilt punctuating each word carefully. Persephone wanted this man to get the message early on that she was quite interested in him. It wasn't everyday that a girl gets sweet compliments, cheesy pick up lines and smooth calculated conversation. She took another few puffs from the cigarette. The piano player shifted gears, speaking into the microphone, alerting that he noticed the various couples. In response, he began to play a slow romantic tune.

She watched as the various couples went out onto the dance floor and sighed. Persephone loved to dance and was quite skilled at it. The one thing that held her together when she took her various business courses was taking at least 1 dance class per semester. She smiled and exhaled slowly, trying to hide the slight dip in her spirits. Persephone wasn't one to ask men to dance anymore, most of them didn't or they misinterpreted the request as a free groping, which tended to end with them writhing on the ground in pain. Looking over at her flirtatious gentleman, she decided to take a chance. "Do you dance?" She asked politely.

Back
Top Bottom