Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Ishi's Travels

Ishi smiled at John's comment about Rinya as she closed her eyes. So weary, she had no remembrance of the rest of the ride, but fell into the darkness with gratitude. She had never had to use so much energy since she was a child. Even then it took days for her to fully recover.

She didn't even realized how tenderly Ulteth had placed the three of them so carefully upon the straw or covered them up. Nor did she wake up, so completely, blissfully unaware of anything but the images that danced in her mind. Ishi had resolved herself into John's care. And in doing so, altered much inside herself. She trusted him completely now. With her life, her future and her well being. Her very last memory was feeling his head against her's so tenderly, and it felt right. Even Rinya seemed to smile down on the intimate gesture, and that gave her such peace of mind. Something she never truly had before.

Ishi slept for hours and hours before her eyes fluttered open a bit. At first she didn't know where she was, but slowly she recognized the loft, and the feel of Ulteth around them. Turning her head, she realized that a child was beside her, and John on the other side of the side. Slowly she sat up, and the movement caused Ulteth to raise his head and looked at her. "Rest Ishi, you have been through much." Ishi was still tired, but crawled on her knees to Ulteth and replied, "And so have you my friend. You need to rest, my friend. And I shall keep you warm, as you have us throughout this time." She loved Ulteth with her heart. She loved him the first time she met him.

Standing, she found some blankets and tossed them over Ulteth, then snuggling down into his side. His heaving sides gently rocked her up and down. She was resting, when she caught the hint of something that crossed Ulteth's mind, something he had not intended for her to hear. Quickly she stood up, and pulled the blanket from his side. There was a wound. He had been hurt. In her mind she scolded, "Why didn't you tell me you were wounded?" Then she realized, he had been too busy trying to save them. "I'm sorry, my friend. How could I speak so harshly to my hero?" She moved over to his neck and began to check him all over. "Seriously, Ishi, its not necessary, I will heal." he protested, but she did not listen. She found two other wounds, on on his tail and another at his shoulder on his right side. "It is necessary, for I can heal you. What if you are needed tomorrow? Then what?" Gently she stroked his neck. "How could I love you and not help you?"

Laying her hands over the wounds, she began to send the light of a higher healing into tissues, veins and blood. It took some time, but once the last one was finished, Ulteth nuzzled her gently, saying simply, "Thank you. Now you must rest." It was true, it had tired her far more than she had expected. Going back to where she had rested against him, she pulled herself up into a ball and rested against Ulteth. Slowly, she fell asleep once more, eventually sliding to the straw laden floor beside Ulteth. It wasn't until Ulteth heard her steady breathing, and how she laid beside him, that he turned his head and pull a blanket off himself and put it on her. Then, and only then, did he lay his massive head down and sleep, finally without pain.

John didn't feel it when Ishi moved away from the other two to attend to Ulteth's wounds, although the little girl did feel Ishi move away from her and she turned to curl up closer to John who unconsciously put his arms around the girl and held her protectively. For hours he slept there with the little girl before he felt her stir against him and he opened his eyes to stretch himself awake, turning on his side and looking into a wall of bronze scales. He jumped a little at first, not knowing where it was he was, but looking about he slowly recalled what happened and pieced together where it was they were and then rubbed the bronze scales carefully. "Thank you old friend." he muttered as he stood up and saw the little girl run over to hug Ulteth on the neck, making John smile at the sight before his gaze fell on Ishi.

Smiling he moved over to her sleeping form to look down at her and the gently take her up in his arms. "Time to get you into a real bed. he whispered to her before he stole a kiss from her, gently pressing his lips against hers before Ulteth silently stirred and helped John down from his loft to let John carry Ishi all the way back to her room. "Do not worry John, the little girl will be safe with me. No harm will pass to her." Ulteth told him mentally which John smile as he pushed the door open to her room with his back and laid her down on her bed ad then tucked her in. "Sleep well Ishi. You deserve it after all that you did not too long ago." he said, stroking her hair a little before sitting down into a chair to watch her sleep for a moment.

Once again, Ishi was dead to the world. John's tenderness and care in taking Ishi to her room was not noticed by her, nor the kiss he had left upon her lips. But John knew, and if he told her, it would be up to him. So, as Ishi began to wake, it was at the surprise at how soft straw could be when you were very very tired. Stretching, with a large yawn, her arms suddenly realized the softness of sheets and how the bed cradled her curves.e

Suddenly, her eyes popped open and it took her a few moments before she realized she was in her room. Suddenly, her hands came up to body. With great relief, she still had her clothes on. Sighing, with a smile, she could only imagine how she got there. Sitting up, she looked about her room with a new appreciation. Stretching out her arms in a hug, she grinned and said, "Hello room! Oh how I love you!" Quickly, her feet swung off to the side of the bed. She wiggled her toes, laughed and jumped out of bed. Going over to the wash stand, she began to wash up for the day. Everything felt so new and wonderful. She was alive, and so were all the remaining slaves. And John, along with Ulteth, made it possible. A silly grin came upon her face as she thought of John.

Oh how differently she saw him now, compared to when they first met. She was actually having feelings for him. She had had feelings for Rinya as well, but Rinya had never been put to the test of his devotion to those from the compound as John had been. But Rinya had died trying to save her, and he would always be in her heart and prayers. But John had saved Ishi before, and the fact that John came back for her, and succeeded in their mission, was very.....stimulating to Ishi.

Once she was cleaned up, she picked out the pants and shirt John had found for her. Brushed her hair, slipped on a pair of more comfortable shoes and actually left her room on her own to find whoever she could. And who she found first was a little girl roaming the halls alone. "Hello." Ishi said with a smile at the girl. The little girl looked up at the woman she remembered held her on the dragon. "Hi. Iz gowen on a venture! Wanna go" Ishi giggled, "An adventure? And where is this adventure going to lead us?" She asked, reaching down for her hand. And the little hand reached for her's, the child said, "Iz gowen to find the dwagons. I no like here. I wants dwagon." She said with determination. "Oh, I see. Yes, I like the dragons too. So, sure, let's go find them." Together, the two of them started towards the exit, with Ishi trying to guide the little girl to the sanctuary without the girl knowing she was. "My name is Ishi, what is yours?" She asked the child, "Iz a gurl and me called Iona." She said proudly, as if she had accomplished a great deal. "Iz no kno my name. Iz a baby, no baby now. Iz big now. Iz kno me now." Ishi had to giggle, "Yes, you certainly are a big girl, and its very nice to meet you, Iona."

Before long they arrived at the Dragon Sanctuary and Iona squealed and ran ahead to Ishi's horror. She had not been around a lot of children, but she knew one thing, they were known for mischief and breaking things. And the one thing on her mind were, "Oh no! The eggs!" Quickly she began to run after Iona. She almost had her, but Iona was laughing, thinking this was a game, and slipped inside the door ahead of her. Throwing the door open, her face in a panic, Ishi was greeted by John, who had already scooped up Iona in his arms to her delight. Ishi came to a sudden stop. "Oh....I see she has taken a liking to you." Looking at Iona she lightly scolded, "And you young lady must remember not to run into the Sanctuary, one of the dragons could be harmed, and I know you wouldn't want that, would you?"

Iona turned away from Iona and buried her head into John's shoulder. "I not hurt dwagons. No no, very bad hurt dwagons." Her little eyes tearing up. The sudden look on John's face to the little girl's lament told Ishi that he was going to give in to her and she just shook her head at him. "I see you found your Ulteth. But....my friend is all grown up and knows better." She smirked, pushing past him and going to look at the eggs.

John had only sat in Ishi's room for a few minutes before he yawned in boredom and left to keep himself preoccupied until she awoke once more. He smiled as he left though, knowing she would never know of the kiss he stole from her without him telling her of it. Although he didn't know if Ulteth knew about it or not, and if he did then he wasn't giving any indication that he was. "You better not tell her of what I've done my friend." he warned mentally and he heard a deep chuckle in his head letting him know that Ulteth indeed knew of the kiss. "Alright, I'll tell her then when she is good and ready." he thought to Ulteth who again only chuckled, making John shake his head.

John headed back to his own room where, once he had the door closed securely behind him, he began to strip and headed towards the back of his room and headed towards the bathroom to wash up. He stepped into the room temperature water, glad to be washing after going without a bath for a few days, and took some cleansand after he had dunked himself under water to get all wet and began to wash hs body all over. The bubbles soon formed and then after he was almost completely covered did he dive back under to rinse off all of the bubbles. He came back up with a shake of his head and then left the water, watching the dirty water leave to be replaced by clean water and dried off with a towel that he kept there and then returned to the main room put on fresh clothes.

He then soon left his room to go check on the eggs and see how the eggs were coming along, but when he turned to leave he saw Iona come running through the door and he scooped her up in his arms with an irritated Ishi following after her and scolding the girl. "Now Ishi, this little girl couldn't harm a dragon." he said, which made Iona scrunch her little face at him. "Iz not a little girlz, Iz a big girl, and my namez Iona." she corrected him, making him chuckles softly, "And a big girl you are, but the dragons will see you as a little girl as they see me as a little man. Come on, lets see how the eggs are doing." He carried her over to the eggs, keeping back so she couldn't touch but to look at them when he heard a noise that made him freeze. It was a deep throated humming that came from a mighty beast. John quickly ran over to Ishi and took one of her hands in his while still holding Iona. "Back to my room, now!" he ordered, not letting her complain or question why as he dragged her to his room.

Once there he set Iona on his bed and opened his trunk to pull out an old garment he thought he would never see again. He tossed to Ishi a white robe whose color was like that of pure snow. "Put this on over what your wearing. We have no time to get you changed."he instructed.

Ishi could hear John and Iona approaching and knew that John had definitely lost his heart to the child. But the only experience Ishi had had with children were with the Master's family. Although she had learned to be nice and playful with them, she never really liked them because they could get her into trouble at any moment. But her training at doing things she didn't want to under the Master's hand, was coming in play as she dealt with the child today. Her thoughts were interrupted by the strangest sound. She was just about to turn and ask John if it were coming from the eggs when he began dragging her back towards the living quarters.

Once in his room, Ishi protested, "John, what is it? Whats going on? You are scaring me!" She said nervously. She glanced over at Iona, who almost had the same look at Ishi. Suddenly, an exquisite white robe was thrust into her arms. The feel of the material was amazing and softer than anything Ishi had ever encountered before. And it was as thin as a cloud. Quickly she put it on, realizing what was going on. Going over to the bed she sat down beside Iona and whispered, "Its okay, I think one of the dragon eggs will open soon, and brand new baby dragon will emerge." Iona looked up at Ishi with wide eyes, "Weally?" This changed Iona's complete demeanor into excitement.

Suddenly John was in front of them again. He had changed himself, into a very formal military type jacket in the same material as Ishi's only in a lovely shade of blue. As he picked up Iona once more and took Ishi's hand, he paused for one moment and looked into her eyes. Ishi was filled with the strangest feelings, something she was so unfamiliar with. She couldn't tell what he was thinking or feeling, which was terrifying to her. Then it was over, as they were racing back to the dragons.

Once they arrived, the entire atmosphere had changed. The electricity of excitement was thick in the air, even Ulteth seemed so out of character. The usually calm creature was as giddy as Iona. John did not let go of her hand until he had them near the eggs, as if he had a specific place he had to be at. As the room seemed to be filling up quickly and the deep throaty hum seemed to get louder than it had been before, Ishi leaned over towards John's shoulder and asked, "Is there some ritual we all perform as the dragons break free of their shell?" She was getting nervous, she wasn't use to so many people and creatures together at one time, nor was she use to be part of some grand royal ceremony. It was making her nervous. She had a moment of thinking she should run away as fast as possible. But as she slowly began to release John's hand, his hand tightened around hers as if he could hear her thoughts. She glanced at him quickly but his eyes had no time for her, his entire being was directed towards the eggs. "Where are the other women for the new queen to pick from?"

John kept his hand tight around Ishi's as they stood there in the hatching grounds. Ulteth could see her mind as he could in John's thankfully and warned him of what was going through her mind at the moment. He didn't want her running away before she had a chance to try to impress the new Queen that was going to hatch. "There is no ritual that we need to perform Ishi, just that if you impress the Queen then you must feed her, but keep from over feeding her as well. None of us dragon riders want a repeat Queen dragon." John said, nodding his head towards the darkened outline that lay behind the golden egg in the shadows, although the old Queen's eyes changed rapidly from color to color. Soon the fanfare grew as more dragons flew in, their eyes also a flurry of colors, as both their riders and the woman that were to try and impress the Queen dismounted and were then led up to the raised platform that the golden egg rested upon. Now all 13 that had been found stood there. "I must leave you now. I cannot be down here during that hatching, not till its over." he said and then carried Iona away to some stands.

Many people, both of noble birth and of Crafter halls gathered there and more were arriving as more dragons from different parts of the world flew in with riders and guests before the dragon would take its place above the stands, standing and humming as the moment of the hatching neared. Soon the boys that were meant to Impress the other dragons arrived, lining up in a half circle with 30 of them in all, 6 more than what was needed as there was only so many dragon eggs. "Let's watch now Iona. Soon you'll get to see some new baby dragons come forth." he said as Iona practically bounced in his lap, giddy with excitement as she waited to see what would happen. Soon the stands were filled and still more showed up to have to stand in the stairways and watch the events. The humming increased in pitch as John recalled what would happen, and at its highest point a gasp passed through the crowd as one of the eggs cracked a bit.

The boys stood there, some afraid and others appeared stern, as they waited for the little dragons to emerge. Slowly the egg cracked some more, more of the dragon emerging before the shell was completely broken and a green hatchling emerged. It mewed in hunger as it moved over towards the boys and those that weren't afraid moved forward with bits of meats to try and entice it to them. It approached one boy who was taller than all the others, its narrow head looking up into the boys face before it scratched and flapped its newly formed wings and lunged at him. Its claws, although still soft, were still able to claw the boy as it made a long gash down his side before moving on to the next boy. The tall boy lay on the ground for a bit before getting up and dusted himself off. Although a little shaky, he went towards the next hatchling that emerged that John didn't notice had hatched until the boy moved towards it.

Hatchlings began emerging from the eggs in pairs and triplets, mewing and cawing as they moved to the boys hoping for food. John watched as some of the dragons soon connected with the boys, having their heads scratched and rubbed by the young apprentices, but John soon turned his attention to the girls that stood around the Queen egg.

The girls stood in a group apart from Ishi, all of them practically shivering in fear as they eyed the egg. They reminded John of scared chickens as they waited for the egg to hatch, and at the first movement that emerged from the egg they all screamed and continue to scream as more movement emerged and then soon the egg shattered as a mewing gold Queen emerged, hungry and calling for someone to feed her and approached the girls. They scattered as she approached, although a few stood there frozen in fear. The little Queen approached these women, and when the first one only stood there and stared at the Queen, she hissed and lunged at that girl and her claws connected and broke the woman's neck.

As John said he had to leave Ishi, she almost didn't let go of his hand. Even as he walked away and took a seat, her back was to the eggs, her eyes on John's back like a lost child. She continued to look at him with sad eyes, this was not what she had expected. Then her eyes began to move about the crowd and it seemed she was a spectacle on that platform. It was the other girl's screams that made her turn to see the eggs coming apart. However, why the girls were screaming was beyond her. She simply shook her head at them , glanced back at John and Iona once more before turning back to watch the baby dragons with amusement.

Ishi did not grow up with the knowledge that just being chosen to be among these women was a great honor. So to her, this was just another birth of a beast that just happened to hold the future title of Queen. However, the way the dragons were snipping and biting some of the people was not lost on her. She had no idea why anyone would want to impress on them at all, until she noticed the dragons that connected with some of the boys. Suddenly, the baby dragons became very docile, loving and sweet. Awww, now that is so sweet. This must be how John was with Ulteth. That thought brought a smile to her face.

But what she didn't understand was the total fear on some of the girl's faces. And why had John placed her so far away from the others? This whole thing was confusing to her. Ishi had no idea she should've been afraid. No idea that the little Queen could do a lot more damage to one of the girls if she chose to.

Once the little Queen hatched, Ishi couldn't help but notice how beautiful she was. The movement of the girls scattering caught her attention away from the Queen for a moment, as Ishi once more was confused by their behavior. Looking back at the Little Queen, her eyes narrowed when she saw what she had done to one of the girls. "You killed her! Isn't it bad enough you must have all these young women sent here from all over the world? Leaving their families behind, their homes...just to come here and be killed by an infant?!" Ishi was enraged. She never fought for royalty, but the underdog. "If you try that with me, little one, I shall not stand idly by, but I'll fight you back." Her voice low. Surely even John would know that tone, it meant Ishi's powers were being fired up. "You obviously need a lesson on manners, young Queen."

A gasp went up throughout the room. Both dragon and humans alike were assured by Ishi's outburst that the little Queen would tear her apart, and rightly so, for talking to the newborn in that manner. But, Ishi was simply behaving as she always had, being fair and logical. Being a fighter for the weak, and using her abilities, if she had to, to get her point across. No little dragon was going to be her Master. Humans were bad enough.

John sat there and watched the proceedings that happened upon the raised area, but then Ulteth's worried tone spoke inside of John's mind, telling him what the nearest dragon heard to him. "She just threatened that Queen's offspring. She's put herself in a bad situation." Ulteth spoke in a worried tone. John himself and all the dragon riders gather there also worried. Never did anyone threatening the new Queen when she hatched from her egg, nor any of the dragons for that matter, for being a threat to the hatchlings would draw the anger of the matured Queen.

While the humming didn't stop from the other dragons, one voice did stop to stir from her resting spot. Her wings fluttering out for a moment before tucking against her sides, the old Queen soon stood and took a few steps out of the shadows and into the light to look down at Ishi, her scales glinting and making the light that splashed down on her shine around the room. A fire burned in her eyes as she looked down at the human and her little one that chirped up at its mother. "You dare threaten my child? Insolent human, do you not know of what danger you bring upon you?" she asked in a deep tone, actually speaking unlike the other dragons who could only speak mentally, "Do you seek death little one that you would threaten the Queen herself, the only thing that lets dragons continue to exist in this world?"

Ishi looked up at the Queen as she loomed over her. "Your majesty, I was brought here because I was told I would find freedom here. I have been a slave from birth, and I accepted my fate. But is it freedom if one can be killed simply because they are human? Are you any different than the those who would have exterminated you before? What is freedom if it does not hold true for all? I did not threaten the young Queen of harm to herself, I said I would protect myself. Why? Because it is the instinct of all living things. What kind of a partner would I, or any of these girls be, if we are to raise the Queen to be spoiled, fat and with no concern for other species? I love the little queen," Ishi admitted without realizing what she said, "but to behave as such towards those that come to give themselves, their heart, mind, body and soul to their charge, makes me wonder who in their right mind would want the job. So, if I must die for telling the truth, then so be it. For I am weary of slavery, and false promises." Ishi took her eyes off the Queen and glared at John. "Not that anyone in this room has lied to me, cept for one."

Looking back at the queen. "But if spilling my blood will save these other girls, then do it, your Majesty. But I will not die willingly. Otherwise, I would not be alive and a have a thirst for life." Ishi had had enough of this world. She didn't understand it, and she certainly didn't like it at the moment. She had no loyalty to these people, cept for Ulteth and John. But John never told her about this, if he had, she would never have stood up here.

The Queen narrowed her eyes at her as they changed to a deep red, looking down at her as she listened to what Ishi had to say and then shook her head from side to side. "The little Queen, my daughter, was just born and is acting on instinct. That is all that she has to guide her on and I will not intervene. Only the one who can impress her can stop her from doing this, and so long as those little girls who keep on screaming and running around let it happen and not try to stop her, then they will continue to be killed by my offspring. If you wish to stop this though and keep such useless women alive, then try to impress my child. If you can impress her little one," she said, pausing to lift a leg and arch one of her claws towards Ishi and pushed her gently, "then you can begin to teach her right from wrong and stop this madness. Else it will only continue." she said and then fell silent.

John and everyone else in the stands merely sat in silence. Most of those gathered didn't even know that the Queen could speak, but then most of the dragon riders did but kept it a secret. Now stories would spread like wildfire once the guests returned to their homes, but for now all watched in silence, even the boys who had impressed as to what Ishi would do next.

As the old Queen spoke, another gasp filled the room, but not from shock or outrage as much as in awe. A reverent surprise. Ishi listened to what the Queen had to say. It was true, the new Queen was a baby and knew no better. But for these girls to come here willingly, and knowing they could die if rejected, was barbaric to her. As the Queen pushed Ishi towards her daughter, Ishi knelt before the baby, sitting on her legs. From her mind, she began to talk to hatchling, as she had done before she were born.

"I am down at your level little Queen, so if you wish to kill me, you will not have to try very hard to succeed. I loved you the first time I spoke to you. But there was much I did not know about your kind. But if you feel I am the one for you, then I accept the job before me. For I will make sure you are the finest Queen of your lineage. You will be fair to all creatures great and small, and live within your nature. I will use my gifts to serve the greater good with you, but I will tell you when you are wrong as well as when you are right. I will not be your slave, but your friend, sister and heart. And I will never lie to you, as long as I live."

Ishi sat there, assured that she could protect herself against the little Queen if need be. And the Queen herself, but not a room full of humans that thought the dragons had every right to allow their children to kill whom they wanted. If Ishi had known this behavior would greet herself and the other women, she would've been talking to the egg all along and trying to help the little one see before she was born.

Ishi stayed where she was, not moving, her eyes meeting the little Queen's and not looking down. Only slaves looked away, she was not a slave anymore.

Everyone sat there in silence and watched as she leveled herself with the little hatchling and spoke, but only the Queen knew what was being said between Ishi and the babe, and she wasn't letting any of the other dragons know of what was being exchanged. No sound was made except for the mewling of the new borns that began to nudge their new companions for something to eat and some of the dragon riders went out to guide the boys and their little dragons following eagerly with them.

The little Queen looked up at her mother and chirped, since she could not truly speak yet as she was just new born, but looked at Ishi before stepping towards her and looking at her curiously before back at her mother, who merely nodded her head. The little queen then approached Ishi closer, walking about her curiously as she took all there was about her in before standing back up before her and then bring their heads close together and then nuzzled her cheek unexpectedly, her eyes changing to green. "I'm Chumana. You?" a voice asked in Ishi's head while everyone in the stands that could see what happened breathed a sigh of relief and the old Queen bowed her head slightly. "Well done. It seems she truly wishes you to be her partner. I say better you than one of those spineless girls." she said before retreating back to her resting spot to watch Ishi from the shadows.

Ishi sat very still as the young Queen moved around her. But she couldn't hide the smile on her face when the little Queen nuzzled her. Gently, Ishi nuzzled her back, stroking her little neck tenderly, as the Queen mother confirmed her agreement with her daughter. Extending her left arm out to her side, a large piece of meat was placed into it. Ishi pulled back from the Little Queen and feed her, "It is an honor to meet you Chumana. My name is Ishi, and I think we will do very well together."

Chumana eagerly took the large piece of meat and chomped it down, coming for another piece immediately. But Ishi put her finger up in the air, "One for now, another after a bit. We do not want to over power your little tummy right now. I shall not forget, I promise." Smiling at her new charge.

Suddenly, John entered her mind through Ulteth. He knew she was holding anger towards John for having her find out about possibility of death during this time on her own. "Do not be hard on him, Ishi. Just at slavery is all you have known, this is all he has known. Its easy to forget the things you take for granted. Besides, you seem quite happy with your new charge and she with you. You've already started to teach her patience for the good things in life. And you've announced yourself as her equal, not a servant. I'd say you have a lot to thank John for, without him, you would not be held in such high esteem at the moment. And considering that you just stood up to the Queen and lived to tell about it......says a great deal about your character, Ishi. So, how would you have learned all these things about yourself if John had not come into your life?" Ishi knew Ulteth was right, but still, a girl died needlessly, and that was not acceptable to her.

Standing, Ishi bowed to the old Queen and began to move off the platform towards John. Once she was directly in front of his seat, she stopped. Others were moving about at this time, but made room for Ishi and the little queen as they walked to John.

John breathed a sigh of relief as he watched what happened, with Ishi finally Impressing the little Queen. Everyone was beginning to leave now, dragonriders taking guests back to their holds so that they could talk about what had happened at the Hatching. He knew two thing would spread like wildfire throughout the land, the fact that a girl who was once a slave stood up to the Queen dragon and could live to tell the tale, and the fact that a Queen dragon could actually speak the human language. He wondered how many would doubt that fact, but he didn't have time to speculate as Ishi stood before him with her little Queen.

Iona was practically bouncing in John's lap before he let her go to run around and then hug the Queen around the neck. "Zhe zo pretty. What iz your name? I'm Iona." he heard the little girl ask and laughed, getting up from his seat and moving around to take Ishi's hand in his. "Come, we will need more meet for your new ravenous charge. Ulteth will watch them both." he said, his dragon coming down from his perch to watch the two carefully and intervene if they somehow began to play too roughly.

Ishi had somehow developed a very mother instinct for Chumana and really didn't want to leave her side. What if Iona should accidently upset Chumana, that would be a disaster. Biting her lower lip, she was about to protest when Ulteth filled her mind, "Do not worry, Ishi, no harm will come to either of them." Her eyes lifted to Ulteth. Ulteth, her first dragon love looked tenderly back at her, as her eyes moistened with the threat of tears. But Ulteth understood immediately. "No, Ishi, nothing has changed between us." Both knew nothing more needed to be said, as she sadly smiled at her friend. With a slight nod, she turned to follow John who was holding her hand.

As they walked, Ishi finally spoke, "You left out much in regards to how a little queen picks her human. You should've known by now my temper, do you not think it would have been prudent to have warned me, John?" The magnitude of what had transpired on the stage just now hitting her. "I was not prepared for what happened. And I will never be." She simply continued to look ahead as they walked, not sure she could look at a man that thought the death of young woman was perfectly acceptable.

But there were other things she was realizing. The fact that she was just learning what it meant to be free. Free to come and go as she pleased, to dream and actually believe they could come true one day. Her life would never be hers and hers alone again. Her very thoughts belonging to others. She would have no place of her own, not even in her own mind. In some ways, this was slavery once more, but different. And she felt betrayed that John had not spent more time explaining things to her, to prepare for what she would have to give up in order to be the little Queens choice. "There was so much, so much I needed to know." Her voice slightly broke with the last comment.

But they had arrived just outside the butchery where the smell of freshly spilled blood was in the air. Ishi stopped and turned towards him. "So, please do not leave me wanting in how to take proper care of her. I need to know everything. Good and bad." She was glad they stood outside this building, she was not sure she could stand coming here to retrieve food for her charge, the smell sickened her.

John led the way to the kitchens where the stewards and butchers would be busy chopping away at slain herderbeasts that would be needed to feed all of the ravenous hatchlings that day. Luckily all of the eggs, John happily noted, which meant that they all impressed someone, although two had actually been impressed by some boy in the stand. It wasn't really unheard of as John had seen that happen plenty of times during hatching's, some boy in the stand the little dragon feels is the right companion for it so it will harm itself to reach the boy and those around will urge the boy to hurry before the little dragon harms itself permanently.

He knew that Ishi was right, that he really should have gone into greater detail about how the hatching's happened, but looking back on all that happened between the two of them the last few days, John didn't really see much chance to have told her such details, and once they stood outside the kitchen he bowed and nodded his head to her. "You are right my Queen," he said with a smile knowing that she didn't know about that little tidbit either, "I will tell you all that there is that will be need to be known so you don't make the same mistakes as the previous Queen." he said, but then left her standing there as he entered but then quickly came out with a bowl full of choice meats since it was going to the Queen. "One of the very first things you should know is that once hatched and growing, they will be constantly hungry. That one little piece you gave her won't be enough to sate that hunger. About this much everyday," he said, lifting the bowl a little, "is what she will consume each day. She will need oiled everyday and then whenever she will need it for as she grows she will get patchy skin, and a dragon with patchy skin is useless in the Between as they could freeze in that could void." he explained as he walked them back to the hatching ground where Iona was playing a game of tag with the little Queen, who under Ulteth's careful watch played carefully.

Ishi was thankful she didn't have to go inside and was surprised at how much meat was in the huge bowl. "First of all, I'm no queen. Second, I will never be able to carry that heavy bowl each day. And third, won't that bowl continue to grow with meat as the Little Queen grows?" Ishi rather dusted the fact that John called her queen, and worried about how she was going to get the meat from here to Chumana each day.

She listened to the other instructions, that didn't seem to hard. Perhaps John would show her the proper way to oil a dragon. As they turned to head back to the dragons, Ishi said, "You are a good man, John, but a terrible teacher." She smiled at her statement. "Let's hope you are better at demonstrations, cause you will have to show me how to do these things for Chumana. And do them properly, I certainly wouldn't want my baby to suffer."

Ishi did not realized she had called Chumana her baby, as they arrived at the dragon's lair. Walking towards Ulteth, who turned his head towards them as they neared, Ishi couldn't believe how adorably cute it was to watch Iona and Chumana playing. In her mind she said, "Chumana." Immediately, the baby dragon raced towards her. Falling to her knees, she put her arms out and enfolded her charge as she would a beautiful child. "I missed you, but brought you more food." Looking up at John, she waited for him to put the bowl down. Ishi hand feed each piece of meat to Chumana as she held her, stroking her neck and back and speaking softly to her. Ishi wanted Chumana to get use to speaking within and out loud.

Iona instinctively went to John and reached her hands up for him to hold her. They watched as the magic of bonding was transpiring in front of them and was beautiful to see. Ishi's cooing, stoking and kissing was unlike anything the other dragonriders had given their charges. Perhaps it was because she was a woman, maybe it was because she had been speaking to the Queen before she was hatched. No one knew, but it seemed the two of them were one already, and as they bonded a trust was forming deeply inside them both.

Ishi just assumed the rest of them would go off doing their own thing, but suddenly she realized she was being stared at. Slowly her eyes rose to see her friends, Iona and even the Queen watching them both with interest. As she put the last chuck of meat into chumana's mouth, she asked, "What? Am I feeding her improperly? She's not choking." Then her eyes fell upon the old Queen, was that a hint of jealousy she saw in her eyes? Pulling her eyes away from the old Queen, she looked down at Chumana who was nuzzling her chest. "Oh dear, I will have to remember to keep something nearby to wash your mouth of blood in the future." She giggled into her eyes. Then her eyes rose to John and Ulteth. "So, what am I doing wrong?"

John smiled hearing all of her questions as they returned to the hatching grounds but he didn't answer any of them as the little Queen came rushing over to her new companion and he set the bowl down for Ishi to feed her dragon, and with Chumana being fed Iona came over to John to be lifted up. He chuckled softly and lifted the little girl up and held her with his arms as they watched Ishi fed the little Queen and he noticed how much gentler she was being with her than he recalled when he was in Ishi's place feeding Ulteth, struggling to carry the bowl to him and then laughing and talking to him as he ate. Never was he so gentle to him though and he rose his eyes, wondering if maybe he should have been.

John didn't get an answer though as Ishi then asked if she did something wrong with her feeding. He smiled and shook his head at her. "You did nothing wrong, for there is no true right or wrong way to feed your dragon," he said, walking up to offer her a small cloth he kept on him before taking up the bowl to take back to the kitchen for her, so she wouldn't have to deal with the blood that would be practically everywhere. He saw how she reacted to seeing the bit that had somehow gotten out of the kitchen. He went and sat Iona down in one of the seats ot the now deserted stands. "You stay here and behave yourself." he said to her and she nodded her head as she watched Ishi and Chumana who John then turned to address. "You two get to know each other for a little. There are a few things I will have to get for you Ishi, now that you have the little Queen, things that you will need when she's growing up and then when she is fully grown." he said, and then strode out to return to the kitchen and wherever else he would need to go since he didn't tell her where it was he was going.

Ishi simply nodded towards John, then he turned to leave. She watched him leaving until Chumana became jealous that she wasn't receiving all of the attention. Turning back to the little dragon, she laughed, "Oh, already jealous are we? Well you probably need to get use to him being around, little one." She began to pet Chumana once more, as the little Queen relaxed into her lap like a puppy. Ishi's eyes rose once more in the direction of where John had been only moments ago. "Yes, you will be seeing more of him, at least I hope so." She had a slight smile upon her lips as her eyes slowly scanned the room and fell upon Iona. She motioned for her to come sit next to her, and Iona quickly came over completely forgetting John's instructions.

Ishi put her arm around the little girl, but didn't fieel comfortable for her to be too close to Chumana, since the little Queen seemed to be unable to share Ishi at this time. "Did you have fun playing with Chumana while we were gone? You looked like you were." She smiled, then looked down at Chumana who was curled up in her lap napping. "Oh yes, Eeeshe. I has fun wid her." Her little voice so sweet and touching. "I...I wants to play some more, but I's seepy." Ishi just smile and patted her leg. Easily, Iona stretched out and placed her head on Ishi's leg and she began to rub her hair with her free hand. Soon, she had two babies fast asleep.

"You will be a good mother, Ishi." The old Queen said out loud. "I can rest knowing she will be raised to be the kind of queen I wish I had been." Ishi looked into the Queen's eyes, "Your Majesty, you were a great Queen. The inspiration you've given dragon and human alike is your legacy. So devoted are the people to you, I have been in awe of their devotion. The most I can hope for is that Chumana will grow to be half the Queen you have been." For a moment the Queen seemed to sit taller, a sense of pride filling her. "Yes.....my daughter has chosen well. But I wonder who chose who first." The Queen gazed into Ishi's eyes, then lowered her head to rest as well.

"The Queen is right, Ishi." Ulteth's voice filled her mind. "You are like no other that has ever been seen here before. You spoke to the little Queen before she was born. You stood up to the old Queen and put your beliefs before her to where she could not argue, nor punish you for telling the truth. Do you realize that anyone else would've been killed in your place? I feel the wind of change coming from you. Chumana will be a very special Queen for her people. And it will all be because of the teacher that shows her the way." Ulteth's head lowered in a bow towards Ishi, and Ishi was beside herself. "Oh no, Ulteth, do not bow to me, please, I feel like I'm loosing you." Ulteth simply smiled down at her, "You shall never loose either of us. Not John or I." Ulteth laid his head down to rest. He needed a very long rest. Much had been happening of late.

Ishi turned back to her charges, wondering what changes were coming, as she petting Chbumana and stroked Iona's hair.

John chuckled knowing that with such an excitable day, and with Ishi standing up to the Queen dragon to add to it, that many in the hold would be very exhausted watching it all. John made his way back to the kitchen and as he promised Ishi, returned the bowl to the kitchen cooks who would have it cleaned and then filled with Chumana's next meal tomorrow. He didn't linger to steal anything to eat though as he quickly left the storm of cooking and cleaning behind to gather more items for Ishi, now that she had a dragon she was going to need some much more sturdier clothing than what he had gotten her earlier. However he didn't head back to the storage room that he first took her to, instead he went to the tanner to have some clothes made specifically for Ishi and then was given some leather clothes that, while would be a little too big for her to wear, they would be hers until her actual clothes were made and provided. He made sure that they would be a surprise when she received them.

The next person he went to see was the Head Healer of the hold and then after that he headed back to the Hatching grounds, knowing that she would still be there no doubt, and when he returned he was a little embarrassed to see the sight before him. It felt like he was intruding on a tender moment that he had no part of, but he approached Ishi anyways, quietly as he could, and then knelt down by her with all of the stuff in his hands. "This is all that now belongs to you my Queen," he said with a very light chuckle to as not wake the sleeping Iona or new Queen, "except the leather clothes will be temporary for you. I'm having some made for you as we speak, more suitable concerning your new position, and they will be delivered to your rooms once they are ready. And this," he said indicating the jug that was carried carefully on top of it all, "is the oil that you will be using on the Dragon Queen whenever you find a spot of patchy skin on her."

He left the stuff beside Ishi as he bent to pick up Iona who, although waking up a little when picked up and argued a little, went right back to sleep against his shoulder as he looked down at Ishi. "We'll have to figure something out for the little girl. She can't be raised without a parent. For now though we will have her sleeping in my room. I've already had a bed for her brought in and new clothes for her will be made and brought in as well. And yes I do try to think of everything." he said, "I'll see you later once I have her put down to bed. I'll have to be back before she awakens though Queen Ishi, or else she will be very fearful upon first awakening." he said, and then left her there for the time being to be on her own and think about her future as he went to put his new charge to bed.

John swept back in filled with gifts, instructions and pretty much taking over responsibilities for the day. Or perhaps he would be doing this every day? Ishi wasn't sure. About all she could get out of her mouth was a thank you before he had Iona in his arms and was gone.

Once more she watched his back as it disappeared out the door. John was such a difficult man to understand sometimes. One minute she could feel his need to protect her and how he often hated to leave her side. Other times, he was all business, without a sign of emotion. But then, all this was new for Ishi.

Glancing up at Ulteth, she could see he was asleep. The Queen was being attended to with great boredom by an attendant. And Chumana, she found as she looked down at her, was so deep in sleep she could feel the whole weight of her on her legs. For a baby, the little Queen was quite heavy. Slowly, carefully, she slipped out from under her and gently laid her upon the soft straw. As she sat next to Chumana and looked down upon her, Ishi couldn't help but glance towards the old Queen, wondering why Chumana was getting her warmth and love from her mother. Suddenly, the old Queens eyes looked directly into hers without a hint of expression. No words were spoken, nor any thought shared between them, as Ishi slowly lowered her eyes first out of respect. From the corner of her eyes, she could see the old Queen still watching her for the longest time before lowering her head and closing her eyes. Ishi was glad the old Queen was no longer looking at her, for she couldn't help but feel a deep sense of jealousy....just on the edge of resentment.

What a strange world she lived in now. The rules she lived by were their rules, not hers. And even when she reigned herself in and did her best to live by them, she felt she was still doing things to upset those around her. Her thoughts seemed to be such a jumble most of the time, how could they not? There was so much about this place that was magical and wonderful, and yet so much that contradicted itself. She was deep in thought when she felt a hand on her shoulder. Turning quickly, she found John looking down at her with concern on his face. Flashing him a big smile, "Oh, its you. I'm glad you are back, what are the rules for the little Queen's sleep? If she wakes and I am not here, will she be upset?"

John walked through the halls as silently as his heavy leather boots would allow him to with Iona sleeping soundly against his right shoulder. The little girl hadn't moved as much once he had picked her up from Ishi and at first he didn't want to put her down to sleep, wanting to hold her a little longer, but he knew he would have to set her down as he entered his room to see the temporary bed that would be Iona's. Smiling at her he gently plucked her arms from around his neck and laid her down to bed, he saw her begin to fuss but came prepared and gave to her a little stuffed animal to hold close to herself. He stood there for a minute as he tucked her in, stroking her hair and brow before leaning over to kiss her on the forehead. "Goodnight Iona, the new dragon princess." he whispered before returning to the hatching grounds where he still found Ishi sitting there with her dragon.

He placed a hand on her and she seemed to jump as she turned about slowly to look up at him with a big smile. "There are no rules. Just like the dragons she will be sleeping in here, although since she can't fly yet as can't all the other hatchlings, they will be sleeping on the sands." he said and as if on cue they new dragon riders with their companions began to walk back in, the dragon's looking exhausted and the kids seemed about just as exhausted as they guided their companions in who then all snuggled up to the little Queen and each others until they formed a big heap of scales and tails. He chuckled and looked back down at Ishi. "It's time for you to go to bed as well, after all the excitement that happened I'm sure you will be feeling about like you've just ran a marathon." he said, and without letting her argue with him he handed her all the new gifts and then picked her up as well.

With ease did he carry her to her room and bed, setting her down on the bed as he took her new clothing and laid it down on the chest that was there. "Sleep now new Queen. Tomorrow will be a very busy day for you." he said, moving over to tuck her in with a smile on her face as he kissed her on the forehead. He knew she wasn't going to like it, but he still did so and moved to leave her alone with one last bow. "Sleep well Ishi."

The sight of all the dragons arriving and circling the little Queen was an amazing thing to see. John saved Ishi just in time from being crushed by the weight of them all about. But he carried her....not even letting her walk.....all the way back to her room. She said nothing, just held tight to the things he had bought her and simply looked at his face as he walked. He hadn't left an option for talk, so she remained silent.

Once they were in her room, he acted like she were as little as Iona, laying out her clothes, expecting her to go to bed. She said nothing, just kept her eyes on him until he arrived at her door and told her to sleep well. It was then, she opened her mouth, "You know John, I'm not a child, and I'm not related to you in any way. So, I think I can go to bed when I choose, not you." Why would she want to sleep? There was too much going on in her head; too many questions she needed answers to. Why was it that John seemed to avoid her more than help her? Perhaps she should ask. "Why do you do this? You say I have much to learn, then you do everything in your power to keep distance between me and my teacher. Are you afraid of me?"

It was the only thing she could think of. But if John didn't want to instruct her on the proper way of taking care of Chumana, she would have to find someone that would. "I need someone who will spend as much time as "I" need, not how much they think I should." Her eyes were gazing steadily at him.

John stopped from leaving Ishi's room when he heard her ask if he was afraid of her. He shook his head at her and walked back into her room to sit in the chair and look at her. "Ishi, I am anything but afraid of teaching you. You see, why I am a Bronze dragon rider, I'm also the person that is responsible for the training of the next Queen. You see, from my own experience and from what I've seen in the past, usually after a hatching the new riders and dragons will all be exhausted. I figured you would have been exhausted as I knew I was when I first impressed and so was the previous Queen when she first connected with Melissa." he said, going back in time a little to when he was younger but then shook his head.

"I planned on teaching you tomorrow Ishi, when the excitement of things had time to die down a bit and you were slightly use to Chumana being your friend. Plus you stood up to the old Queen dragon and lived to tell. That's not something anyone can claim Ishi. Your special, more than just being the daughter of a goddess. Fate has much in store for you elleth but I have to be able to properly teach you or it would have been all for naught." he explained as he stood and then sat next to Ishi, taking her hand in his and stroked it a little. "Does any of that make any sense to you?"

Ishi listened to John speak as he walked over to a chair near her. He was working very hard to convince her he was leaving for her own good. But Ishi was not tired, on the contrary, she never felt more alive. As he moved beside her and took her hand, she countered, "Yes, it makes sense to me. BUT, I am not tired. I'm completely awake. I don't want to wait until tomorrow, I want to start now. Right now. Tomorrow won't do, I want to start tonight."

As he talked about standing up to the Queen, that fate had much in store for her.....it was hard for her to concentrate on that. So she stood up to the Queen, it was about time someone did. And the Old Queen seemed okay with it. "Really," She said, passing what he said off as circumstancial. "someone needed to tell her. She was a wise queen, and didn't get as much respect as she deserved. Perhaps, if she had only known...." Her voice trailed off, sad at the thought of a life unfulfilled, even if it was a dragon's life.

Looking back at John, she squeezed his hand, "If you are tired, find someone else who isn't. I shall not sleep tonight until I have learned. And please stop calling me Queen. I'm no one's Queen, I am no more than a servant to the little Queen. And that is the honest truth of the situation, and you know it." She sat there waiting, wondering if he would fight her. Iona was sleeping, someone could be sent to sit with her. She squeezed his hand as it would emphasize her words. "Does that make sense to you?"

Back
Top Bottom