Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Ishi's Travels

Gingari thought about the name for some time. He could not recall anyone names F'lar before. But it was when he mentioned Ishi that it was apparent he took this more seriously. "What is your name, sir. And why were you talking to one of my slaves?" His voice taking a light, controlled edge. "I am not accustomed to having...guests...welcomed by slaves."

This man, ignorant he might have been, didn't realize who it was that he was messing with but John kept his cool as he sent out a thought. I need you here, now. was all that he thought as he looked towards the man in the throne and glared at him. "I am John Astor, and I was talking to one of your slaves because she had found and helped me. Is there a problem with that?" he asked innocently, keeping his face blank of all emotions. He was waiting for something to happen, and if he had too, possibly cause this man some trouble.

Gingari found all this puzzling. "Are you playing with me? Giving me riddles in my own home? Please tell me how you came to be here, needing care, and yet none of my guards had any knowledge of you within my walls?" And how does Ishi play into all of this? He thought.

Of all the people he should first encounter, it had to be Ishi! He would summon her later for an explanation in all this. "And why is it you feel so confident coming into my domain as if you were of such high royal blood I should bow down and allow you take anything from me? I have nothing here for you. I do not know this F'lar. I am not holding anything for anyone. All that I have here are slaves, bought and sold, the ground they tile, the animals they tend and an army devoted to me. Perhaps, John Astor, you have walked into your own prison?" He smirked.

And although he was dealing with this man, his thoughts traveled to Ishi. A premonition, of sorts, that nothing good would come from this. He could not loose Ishi, not her.

"Dragonriders do not play around your highness. We take matters very seriously and riddles, are something that we solve, not give out." John said to the man as he said that maybe John had found his prison and he could only smirk at the thought. "Or maybe you've found your own sentencing." he said as a thought that wasn't his own. A thought about how something hated the heat of the desert and that he was going to need a good oiling later on. John could only laugh at the thought and looked at Gingari sternly. "You say that you do not know who F'lar is, but that doesn't mean that maybe one of your slaves might not know of him. Gather them all outside" he said as a loud roar suddenly sounded, cutting off anything that could be said for a little bit.

Outside of the castle, a great winged beast flew over head, its shadow passing over the grounds and nearly covering the entire place as it began to circle down. Any who saw the sight would have froze instantly as the beast came closer until it landed on top of the wall and clung to it tightly with its claws. The beast that had appeared before the place was a dragon, a bronze dragon at that. It was a beast that, depending on where it went, was either feared or cheered for. It scales shown brightly and glittered in the sunlight that shown down, making it to appear more golden than it did bronze, and it shook its body as it was already irritated by the sand that quickly found it way into the places between the scales. It turned its head this way and that to take in all that it saw, eying the beasts that it saw hungrily, its eye and the many facets in it shifting colors to a red as it was hungry. Slowly the beast crept off the wall and walked onto the grounds, staring at those that worked and unknowingly approached Ishi as she wept and looked at her, the colors in its eyes changing from red to green with concern.

Gently the dragon nudged her to try and comfort her and then licked her with its tongue, the surface of it rough like that of a cat's tongue, and then the dragon curled around her protectively. Its body formed a rough circle with its tail touching its neck as the bronze dragon had its head turned inwards to regard the Ishi while sending a mental image to John, and John couldn't help but laugh and provide his companion with a name. She's Ishi, a slave here and the one who helped me. he thought and his dragon answered back that it sensed something with in Ishi and John found this a tad puzzling as he waited to see what her Master would do.

Dragonrider! For the first time since this man entered his throne room, Gringari's attitude changed. His face turned stoic as the impact hit him. Not that he didn't have respect for his kind, it was the fact that John had hidden this fact from him from the beginning, which only made him distrust him.

Suddenly, the large doors to his private room flew open and a number of his advisers came quickly to his side in a panic. "My King, a dragon has settled itself on the out wall! It is bigger than the compound itself." The King's face never changed, as his dark eyes came back to John. "I have no knowledge of this thing you look for. But please, search my Kingdom if you must. For I am curious how I could have something so valuable within my grasp and not know of it." Waving his advisers aside, he clapped for his personal slave. "Go prepare a room for our guest and make room in our stables for his...dragon." He said, glancing towards John and nodding. "You are free to go, Dragonrider. Search, and when you tire, make yourself at home within these walls. Whatever you shall need will be afforded to you willingly."

Gringari was finished. There was no more to discuss. He had given this stranger complete freedom to his home and grounds. But it would not be without watchful eyes.

----------------------

Meanwhile, out in the fields, the plants began thriving again. As if on cue, those she had sent to refresh themselves were returning happy and satisfied with such a treat. Her eyes still wet, the burden for having killed still heavy on her soul. She had covered her eyes to get some composure before the others were to reach her, she knew she had plenty of time. Enough to let the last of her fear and anger subside, if she concentrated.

As the group walked back into the fields, it was as if night had befallen them. All looked up into the sky to see a giant winged creature so large it could blot out the sun over the entire compound. Watching it sore off, the sun came beating down upon them again, only for a brief time, as the dragon curved and returned once more, settling on the edge of compound wall.

The small group were in a state of shock, as they watched it's piercing eyes taking in all before it. Suddenly one woman screamed which cause the others to come out of their shocked trance and ran back to the safety of their meager huts. But Ishi did not notice. So concentrated on getting herself under control before she should hurt another

It was not until she felt herself being surrounded from all sides. As if strong sturdy hut had been erected around her, did she open her eyes and raise her tear stained cheeks to what had caused this. When she saw the dragon looking down at her, she instinctively knew no fear, for she could sense nothing but warmth and care coming from him. It made her more curious than anything else. "Where did you come from great beast?" She asked softly. As he nuzzled her, she grinned. When he licked her salty cheeks, it left a slightlly red, sun burned mark. She had no clue why this dragon, who could easily eat her for a snack, was behaving this way. Weren't dragons suppose to be ferocious?

But she had no time to thinkg any further on it, or to notice the stares and sudden chatter among the workers at what they were witnessing on the field, because was at that moment she heard Gringari's voice call out, "Ishi, Ishi!!! What have you brought down upon my head?! Suddenly, her head turned in the direction The Master had never sent a thought to her in 11 years. This could not be good. "I must go to my Master." She said out loud, then looking up at the dragon, realizing with his wings around her like this, he was her temporary Master at the moment. But the dragon seemed to understand and let her go, watching as she raced across the fields as if she were flying. Slowly the great dragon lifted back into the air and hovered around, watching what would happen next.

And now the truth was out. He was sure Ishi, since his dragon had seen her and was curious, would put 2 and 2 together and figure out that the dragon was his to command and that life long companion that he had mentioned. He was curious how she would react once he found her again, but he stood there and looked Gringari for a few quiet moments. "You haven't done exactly as I asked for. I heard no command for the slaves of yours to gather so I could see if somehow any of them knew who F'lar was, but no matter. I think my companion is able to bring all of your slaves to gather in one place." he said as he walked back towards the doors that lead to this room and looked back at him, "and I will not be needing any accommodations. I shouldn't be here for long." and with that, left the room and then eventually the castle and headed outside.

His dragon sent him a thought and an image of Ishi running off and heading towards the castle. Stop her and get the others out from their homes. Scare them if you have to. and the bronze told him that he better get a reward out of and then swooped back down and took Ishi up in one of its claws before landing in front of the huts on its hind legs, standing up awkwardly as it flapped it wings to keep itself balanced and let out a ear-piercing roar. The slave's who had hid in the hut immediately ran out screaming in terror and the dragon kept them all herded until they were at the entrance to the castle. Only then did the dragon stop and gently placed Ishi on the ground, curling up again but keeping a small opening so John could walk through and he looked at them all. "I just have one simple question for you all. Do any of you know someone by the name of F'lar?" he said, raising his voice above their scream so he could be heard.

Ishi did not appreciate being picked up and kept from her Master. She threw quite a fit too. Looking up at the dragon and asking, "Why won't you let me down? My Master needs me! This is so unfair! Unless you plan on eating me, I demand you put me back where you found me." She said, crossing her arm in front of her, her chin sticking up a bit as if her demand would swiftly be obeyed. But when it wasn't and the great beast was swooping and screeching she thought she might get ill.

Finally, she was put down on the ground within the the enclosure of the dragon's wings like the rest of them. Quickly, Ishi searched for Rinya and clung to him. Looking up into his eyes, she asked without moving her lips, "What will happen to us?" Rinya looked down into her beautiful eyes and said, "I know not. But stay close, no one will part us." Ishi breathed a sigh of relief. Rinya and she had grown up together. They held a special bond between them. As tough as Ishi tried to be, she wasn't as tough as she wished she were.

Then John appeared even more stern and demanding as before. As he called out his simple question, Ishi could feel Riny'a body stiffen slightly. But she did let him know she had caught that small jolt within him. Rinya just stood there, his grip around Ishi's shoulders tightened. Only then did she looked up into his face and she knew...the name F'lar definitely mean something to him. With a loud booming voice he yelled much louder that John ever could, "STOP! Quiet down, he means you no harm! He is not here to harm you." He said in an effort to calm them down before some of the old ones had a heart attack. As the roar came down to a murmur, he said, "He is not after you, he is after me." His eyes looked into John's with as much cold hard steel as John's had to the King earlier.

John waited there, standing with his arms crossed and the sound of all of them screaming was beginning to get on his nerves when someone out of the batch got the others to calm down and he saw that it was the big fella who had led him inside who helped calm them all down. "Please calm down, you weren't going to come out of your huts anytime soon, so I had to have Ulteth scare you all out. I'm sorry for frightening you all, but I wasn't really left with much of a choice." he apologized for Ulteth who turned to look at him lazily before laying his head back down. But then when the big guy said that he knew who F'lar was, John could only stare at then man. He hadn't expected such a quick reply and he communicated with Ulteth, walking up and scratching him on the eye ridge. "Do you sense anything from him old friend?" he asked in a whisper, and in his head the dragon replied that he sensed something, but it was different from what he sensed in the girl and in fact he sensed something different in them all.

Hearing this made John sigh and he turned to look at Rinya with a blank expression. He could make a good candidate for what he was searching for, but it was a female, a girl who was still very well in her youth that he needed. For now though, he would have to deal with Rinya. "Tell me your name then, and what it is that the name F'lar means to you?" he asked, eying them all carefully to see if they were going to do any finny business with him.

Rinya wasn't about to talk to this guy in front of all those prying ears. Slowly he took Ishi's hand into his and mentally told her to wait there until he sent for her. She unwillingly obeyed, now afraid, for the first time, of this John who could over rule her master, like a puppet. The crowd parted for Rinya and it took few steps to reach John. "I will answer any questions you might have, but not in front of them." He nodded towards the others all huddled together.

"Let them go, but not Ishi. She must stay here with me."

John watched the big guy walk up to him, at least a head or two taller than him, and say that he couldn't answer his question with all of his fellow slaves there to listen in on what he said. What he asked for was simple enough to give and at a mental command Ulteth let out a lazy roar and opened up it wings and stood to let them all out, but making sure Ishi didn't go anywhere by wrapping the end of its tail around her ankle and keeping her in place. Once all but the four of them remained the dragon settled back down and let Ishi go and stared at both of the slaves with a slight curiosity in its eyes. "Now what is it that you couldn't say in front of them all but can say in front of Ishi?" John asked, moving back over to scratch Ulteth on the eye ridge and a low rumble emitted from its throat.

Ishi felt like a chattle. Was there no one that had no control over her?! But she wasn't angry about Ulteth, who she heard was its name, keeping her from leaving, she had had no intentions of leaving Rinya to face this man alone. In fact, Ulteth seemed the only one that wanted nothing from her by to be near her as he was before. As the two men began to talk, she, unnoticed, walked over to the dragon and sat down beside his neck, as his head once more rested on the ground, and leaned against him. In her mind she wondered, Will I ever control my own destiny? With a sigh, she let her body relax against the great beast. She didn't fear Ulteth, what the worse he could do, eat her? She chuckled at that. What did she have to live for? Slavery under a good Master was still being confined. It took a great deal of fortitude to hide the desire of freedom from her eyes. But after she was released from the Master's home, it was Rinya that sheltered her, took her in and taught her to survive here.

In the meantime, Rinya's voice lowered. "I am Balsorinya, of Romania. I am the son of Lanisky Baroquest. My father was friends with this F'al. Like your friend, he sent me to find this jewel, he called it. He said that when I found it, I should take care of it, preserve it until the time came to bring it his truest friend, F'al. I have kept my honor in this, because I found the jewel, and she is as dear to me as my own sister. My father is a mystic, and said one day we would be freed from this place. Are you that means of freedom?! His eyes bore into John's. For during this time, Ishi and John had become bound in mind, nothing could be hidden of each other. He also knew of Ishi's powers, powers she was unaware of, but could be dangerous when angered. "She is of the age of a great awakening. I was not sure we would escape in time."

John continued to scratch Ulteth's eye ridge until Ishi had come up and leaned herself against his neck, causing his serpentine neck to turn towards her and rest his head by her form and looked at her through one of his eyes, some of the inner lids closed. "He loves to have his eye ridges scratched." John advised to her, seeing that his dragon was already starting to grow attached to Ishi it seemed, and then he turned back to regard Rinya, who was apparently actually Balsorinya it seemed, and listened to what it was that the man had to say and when he was done, John had a bit of a confused look on his face as stared at Rinya.

"If you had been here for so long and yet knew what it was that you were sent to seek, why is it that you hadn't left this place already? Surely there was someplace more free you could have taken her to where she wouldn't have worked as a slave for her life?" John asked, keeping his tone down so Ishi couldn't hear what it was that they were talking about, "but yes I can be that means of freedom if she is what it was that I was seeking. I could take both of you away from here, take you both to my home so you can live a better life from this, although Ishi might find it hard to accept since she's lived here all her life." he said, looking over at Ishi to see if she heard what it was that they were talking.

Rinya smirked at John's comment. "Tell me, John, without your dragon, how would you travel across such a desert, with no water until you reach the other side, if you reach it. If the Sun doesn't dry you up, scorpions don't kill you, not to mention Gringari would leave one speck of sand uncovered to find her. You see, the moment she leaves this place, the grass will not grow, the plants will die and the trees will become baren. John, she is what keeps this compound so beautiful and perfect. If we leave, everyone, even her siblings will die here. The Master will do whatever it take to save those necessary. She will not leave them." Slowly Rinya began to smile. "And if you try.....well, let's just say you won't feel very good when you awaken."

Rinya knew this from experience. "f Ishi had been born with a bad spirit, and not the one that dwells inside her, the Master would have lost his son so many years ago and his wealth would shrivel up. He doesn't have to send an army to stop you, because he knows her heart. So tell me, John. How would you handle this, for I am not smart enough to find a way."

Ishi couldn't barely make out anything the two of them were saying, and quite frankly, she didn't care. Because whatever they said about her, she would do what she wanted, that was for sure. As John told her where to scratch around Ulteth's eye. "I think you and I are the only sane ones here Ulteth. Its as if the world has gone mad, but in you I feel calmness, peace. I wish I were a female dragon and we could fly away together." She giggled.

John pondered on what it was that Rinya was telling him. It was obvious that he was warning him to not just him and Ishi, but that he was going to have to sadly take all of the slaves from there, but if what Ishi told him was true then they all held some kind of special power. Ulteth sent him a thought confirming that he had sensed something different in them all and also told him that Ishi wished that she was a female dragon so that she and him could fly away together. This thought made John laugh as he turned towards Ishi. "You know, Ulteth thinks that because you want to be a female dragon, that you also wish to mate with him if you could." he said teasingly before turning back to Ulteth about something much more serious.

"So you say that if I take only you and her, she will fight me and come back here where she's been a slave most of her life to keep the others safe? What if I was to get you all out of here? Take you all some place where you don't have to be a slave anymore and can do what your good at and actually be praised for it? I know you probably won't accept the offer since you have some place to go but I can get help and take all of these slaves someplace where their gifts can be appreciated and put to better use, Instead of pleasing one man and his family, they can be helping hundred or thousands with their gifts." John said, wondering what Rinya thought of this plan and if it was workable or not.

Ishi cocked her ears towards John as he began to address her, and she couldn't help but smile at his words. But she said nothing to him, but instead began to stroke Ulteth's scales and scratch behind his ears as she sent her thoughts to the great beast, now that she knew he could hear her. "Yes, I would like that very much, my new friend. To sail away on the clouds to a place where no one could touch me or need me. Just you and me, forever." She wrapped her arms around his neck as much as she could and kissed him.

Rinya knew this would please Ishi very much. But he also knew that most of these people had never known anything else but slavery. To be exposed to the world in such a state would not mean the same thing to them as it would a person who had had freedom once and was going back to it. "I am not sure they are ready for such freedom. It would frighten them and they would need training to adjust." Then he paused to the let his words sink in before finishing..."And no one would need help in adjusting more than Ishi herself." Rinya wondered how this would fit into John's plans.

"Now, John, tell me your plans for Ishi. You must have some need of her or you would not have travelled so far for nothing. And how you plan on helping her adjust to a world without limits? I know what I go home to, and I welcome it. You do as well. But...she has been quite content to live here all her life. Even though a slave, she has been treated better than the others in the fact that the Master needs her above all of them."

John caught what it was that Ishi said and he hid a smirk behind a hand as he looked over at Ulteth who looked back at him with pink colored eyes, and seeing that made John laugh a bit as he looked over at Rinya. "It seems like my companion has already fallen for her." he said in a light tone before regarding his questions. He never really thought that out too much. How would he get them all to adjust to having sudden freedom? And Ishi, how was he going to get her to adjust to all of the changes, especially all of those that would happen to her if she was chosen from all the other girls. Shaking his head and looking at the ground, John could really only think of one thing. "I would have to help her get used to everything, especially having freedom. The slaves though, they can stay where it is that I call home, doing what they know best until they slowly adjust to having freedom and once they are used to it, they can go out and do what they want." John offered to Rinya.

"That's all I can think of for them though. Just take them all over to my home and have them slowly adjust. Ishi will still be able to see her siblings and they all wouldn't have to live in such terrible conditions. They won't be able to live in their own rooms but shared quarters, but at least they will have clean clothing, good food, and be able to be happy with what their doing. And they won't have such hard taskmasters for them either." he explained as he walked over to the other side of Ulteth's head and scratched the eye ridge some more, and both the attention he and Ishi was giving him caused a small rumbling to emit from his throat and then his tongue flicked out to give Ishi another lick only gentler this time than the first one was.

Rinya thought of the proposal and agreed, with a few exceptions. "I trust you, John, so I offer this counter offer. You get us out of here, and I will take the slaves that that were kidnapped, bought and locked up that are not the children of Aprodite. And you take those who are hers and related to one another. My Father and I will offer the same to these people, a place to live, to be cared for and train so that if they choose to go out into the world, they will not be alone.

You, however, take on Aphrodite's can and do as you offered for all of them. Just remember, Aphrodite never wanted these cast offs to be seen in the world. She won't take it kindly. So watch your back. This way, all of them will not be burdening you, but will be shared by my clan. It will unite the families. Mine and yours in a common goal, friendship and aide. BUT....Ishi will be able to visit my home at will. I've taken care over her for so long, I do not want loose her." Rinya was very firm on this last part, and it was obvious he would not be moved from it.

-----------------------------------

Ishi actually laughed out loud when Ultheth licked her. She wasn't aware that John was on the other side scratching his behind his eye. "Oh Ultheth, you are the most affectionate dragon! If I'd known dragons were like this, I'd have wanted ones long ago." She didn't know if the men were done talking or not. Rather rude of them to make her sit out of the conversation, but that was men for you. She suddenly stood up to see what they were doing when she encountered John and jumped a little with a small squeak of shock. "So are you two finished?" She demanded softly.

John laughed a little more when he saw Ishi pop up to see if they were done, only to be surprised and let out a little squeak seeing him standing there. "We are almost done, don't you worry little one." John said, not really sure if she would appreciate being called little, but his back was turned to her as he walked over to Rinya and turned him around so both of their backs were turned to her and so that she could barely hear what it was that the two of them were speaking about. "There's only one difficulty with that proposal. If Ishi is chosen, then she won't be able to travel to your home freely. She will have to stay at the hold until the little queen grows up. If she's not chosen then it will all work out in the end, but we will have to see what happens in the future." John said and then took a step back and held out his hand.

"We have a deal then, unless you have something else to add to this deal?" John asked while giving his dragon a mental command. Ulteth let out a lazy yawn and stretched himself out and then stood up while laying his head down next to John, waiting for him to mount up if things were done and they could set the plan in motion.

Rinya did not take John's hand just yet. "What do you mean chosen one. What are you getting Ishi into?!" He demanded. This was the first he had heard of some pre-existing plan for Ishi. Was he just using her like everyone else had before him? If so, Rinya would agree to nothing!

John should have been anticipating that Rinya would react the way he did, and with a shake of his head John moved back over to Rinya and looked him straight in the eye. "I've kept one thing from you a secret, thinking that it wasn't going to be all that important to tell. I see I was wrong about that." John began, keeping what he didn't want to say a secret for as long as he could. Taking a deep breath, he didn't know how Rinya was going to take the news. "I'm not only looking for Ishi as a favor but I am also on a second hunt and think she could make a likely candidate. The Queen dragon is finally dieing and she has lain a golden egg along with 2 dozen normal eggs. A new Queen will hatch from the golden egg to take over once she is gone. Dragon riders are flying everywhere seeking out girls to impress the new Queen when she hatches and boys to impress the other dragons that will hatch." he explained to the fake slave, looking him straight in the eye as he answered.

"If Ishi is chosen by the little Queen at first impression, she will not be allowed to move about freely until the Queen had grown up. You see, if something is to happen to Ishi, then the little Queen will die, but if the dragon dies Ishi will be fine, but from what I've heard its a terrible thing to lose connection with one's dragon." he said, rubbing the side of Ulteth's neck, not sure how he could live on without the connection he felt with his partner and not exactly sure how he was able to live without it before he had impressed Ulteth.

Rinya's eyes grew wide as he took in what John had said. Yes, he knew of these Dragon Riders, they were known throughout the land. Respected and feared for good reason. "I see. So do the girls get no choice in the matter? Because Ishi will not accept being bullied into it." He smirked, knowing her as well as he did. "If Ishi agrees, then I agree. An alliance with your mastery of the air and my clan's mastery of the sword and mind manipulation would be a perfect balance, I think."

Rinya shook John's hand. "But remember, she must be told now, everything. And...." He added, as he glanced over at Ishi and Ulteth. "...I'd make sure Ulteth was around when you do." He began to chuckle. Then looking back at John, "And I understand about her not being able to visit during the new Queens aging. But after that, will she be free to come and go as she pleases, even to visit us?"

John had been planning on telling Ishi everything once he had taken her to the place he called home, but he could see that his initial plan wasn't going to work after all if he wanted Rinya's cooperation. "Alright, I'll do as you say." John answered with a sigh, looking over at Ishi for a moment and then back at Rinya, "I really hope she agrees though, the last one to own a queen is terrible. She let her dragon overeat and is a poor sight to see." he said, finally walking over to Ishi as Ulteth's gaze followed him over.

"Ishi, I have something to tell you. I will be taking you and your siblings away from this place while Rinya will be taking those not related to you all somewhere else. You will all be free from this master of yours, free to do as you will once you all adjust, but I need you to do something. A golden egg has been laid by the current Queen dragon, and from that egg will hatch a new Queen dragon. Only a woman can impress a Queen dragon though and both Ulteth and I feel that you can impress her with ease. I will not force you though, the decision is up to you. But you will have your own dragon and basically be Queen of the Dragon riders," he said, telling her some of what he knew to her and held out his hand, "what do you say?"

Ishi was overwhelmed by what he was saying. She looked back towards Rinya to see if John was serious. She caught the words taking her siblings away, Rinya the rest, a Dragon Queen laid an egg and Ishi might become nurse? It was all too much, whirling around her head....and the only thing that seemed to surface was what would the Master say about this? Looking John directly in the eyes, she said with authority, "The Master will not allow it." It was that simple, as far as she was concerned. There was no way the Master would allowed his slaves to leave. He loved them too much!!

So that was what they had been whispering about. Glancing over at Rinya she scolded, "How could you even take part in his scheme? I can't believe you of all my siblings would betray him like this! *Walking over to him, she placed his hands in her's and looked up into his eyes. "Why, Rinya? Why would you betray us this way?"

It was then that Rinya looked deeply into the eyes of the woman he had grown to love like no other woman before. Gently he brushed a wisp of hair from her face, knowing she had never thought more of him than as her brother, how he had wished for so much more. And now, she would learn that he had lied. "Ishi, please listen carefully, I have something to tell you, and please, please hear me with an open mind." Rinya walked over to one side and began to tell Ishi everything. Who he was, why he was there, why he had to lie and why he agreed to John's plan. It appeared that Ishi's knees were about to buckle, but her caught her by her elbows and kept her upright. "Your family deserves a chance at a real life, Ishi. Especially you. And the others will be safe with me. Like John will do for the others, they will be fed, clothed in decent clothing and want for nothing. This I promise you. But we do not have days to think this over, we must act soon or we may loose some of our friends." He held her there, looking deeply into her eyes for a hint of what she was thinking behind those big eyes of hers.

"But, what if the new Queen doesn't choose me, can I come live with you?" Rinya pulled her to him and hugged her tightly, as he glanced over at John. "Yes, yes my little one. You can come and live with me and my family for as long as you want." His eyes told John that if that was what she wanted not even he would stop him from giving it to her. "Rinya" she whispered, "I'm scared." She closed her eyes and buried it into his shoulder, as Ulteth could read from her mind everything he said. Glancing at John, he relayed her fears to him, but with one last thought. That if she becomes so sad Ulteth's soul would weep for her, he would take her to Rinya himself. With that, Ulteth turned and walked away for a a few yards and laid back down.

Meantime, the Master had not been so lazy, but gathering his troops and extra hands to help him. But the news of freedom had filtered through the land, and more and more were gathered, waiting for John. The odds were three to one, favoring John. But none of the these three people knew this at the moment. Ishi looked over towards John, her eyes glistening with tears. If Rinya thought this would be good for the people, then she would go along. "I'll do it." One last look at Rinya, she said, "We must hurry, I'll go back to my hut and find those willing to go with us. With that she began to run back to her home. The only home she had known for ten years to say goodbye as if she were leaving her own mother behind.

John watched the two silently as he stood there by Ulteth's side as he told him mental all that went on in Ishi's mind. He could feel her sorrow, her sadness as if it was his very own as he experienced all that she went thought about. Finally she agreed to the whole thing and John let out a soft sigh and looked up at Ulteth. Don't worry old friend. I won't let that happen when and if we come down to it. Besides, its not like I can stop you, you big old lug. You can crush me underfoot without a second thought. I know you wouldn't do that though my friend. he thought and then looked over at Rinya. "Get all of them gathered back here. We will be right back with help." he shouted over to Rinya and then hopped up onto Ulteth's neck.

Without a single command, Ulteth flapped his wings and began to fly up into the air vertically to gain a little height before he soared off. John steeled himself as they flew some distance before they suddenly disappeared in a blink of an eye into something called the between.

Ishi had run off the minute that she realized Rinya agreed with John. She trusted Rinya with her life, she couldn’t imagine being anywhere that he wasn’t with her. Plus the fact that no one would be left behind that didn’t want to be was encouraging as well.

As she headed to her home, she could see that the news had traveled like fire across a hot parched grass land in summer. Everyone was either doing what she was about to do, or grabbing her arm and asking if this were real and what they should do. She tried to deal with each person, giving them instruction and telling them not to fear. But they were making it impossible for her to quickly get herself ready. Ishi prayed there would be no bloodshed. But, if her comrades already knew, so did the Master. He was not known for his ability to give anything up. And certainly not his slaves.

As she reached the threshold of her hut, she did not glance from side to side, her eyes were focused on her few meager things and finding something to carry them in. But no sooner had she entered, a bag was quickly put over her head and her hands tied behind her back. The Master knew alright, and had sent his henchmen to find her and stop her from joining.

And yet, Ishi somehow found this amusing, since the Master knew what she was capable of. It was out of respect for him that she did not fling these two men over the wall of the compound. She knew the direction the big house layed from her house, but they did not take the direct route, choosing instead to avoid the hustle and bustle of the people in complete bedlam. Sometimes, she was forced over rocks that caused her trip or slide as they caught her and moved her forward. it didn’t take long for her to know they did not want her piers to see her, and they were not taking her through the front.

As soon as they opened the huge cellar door and the musty smell reached her, she knew where they were. The dungeons. The Master prided his prison, but even he knew no lock could hold her. Soon she was thrust into a room different than the rest of the cellar. As she heard the door locking behind her, metal against metal, she easily pulled the sack cloth from her head and looked around calmly before resting her eyes on the door. The Master had been busy, for this was not like the other rooms. Walking over to the walls, she slid her hands down the slick, shiny silver walls. A distortion of herself reflecting back at her.

She had never seen this metal before. Not only that, her mind was suddenly shut off from the outside world. It was then she heard the Master’s voice at the door. Turning, she saw the rage in his eyes as he asked her, “I will not let you leave, Ishi. The others be damned, but I will never let you betray me. I’ve been working on this room for a very long time just for you in case a day like this should arrive. You are mine, bought and sold, and your Mother will help me to keep you out of the human world.” Ishi showed no emotion, nor did she comment back. She was a slave afterall. Taking and deep breath, she glanced around again suddenly noticing a cot off in the corner. It was away from the view of the Master, so she simply walked over to it and sat down waiting.

“AND DON’TTHINK YOU CAN USE YOUR MAGIC IN HERE. APRHODITE TOLD ME HOW TO CREATE THIS ROOM. DID YOU HEAR ME ISHI?!! YOUR OWN MOTHER DOES NOT WANT YOU FREE!!” But Ishi made no sound. The tear that ran down her cheek made no sound as it splashed upon arm. Just silence. Why must it seem everyone only cared about owning her and not what she wanted. Not even her Master was the man she thought he was. So she sat in silence, her thoughts unable to penetrate the wall to Ulteth. But she prayed they would get the others out safely. Inspite of her Mother and Master's efforts.

Back
Top Bottom