Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Ishi's Travels

Vladimir

Super-Earth
It was a silent night as John stumbled as he walked across the cool sands of the desert. The night was silent and the air chilled John to the bone as he struggled to keep moving, least he wished to freeze to death out there in the sand. He traveled for days looking for something that a deceased friend of his asked for him to seek in as his dying wish. He said that he left something precious out in the desert in a safe place, and he wished for John to seek it out and to protect it. What it was though he was never told, as his friend died as he was about to tell him. And so there John was, shivering as the temperature was well below freezing and all the clothing he word did nothing but keep him slightly warmed for a little longer.

But he continued to move on, never once stopping as he didn't want to fail in fulfilling his friends death wish. It wasn't until the sun slowly began to rise over the dunes of the sand that John was able to spot something not too far from him. A grey wall that stood at least 4 men tall surrounded something. It wasn't much but considering that he was almost dehydrated, he made his way over to it and walked around it parameter. There was a gate and some windows, but no one seemed to be manning the gate, so going in the front way was out of the question.

For a minute John stood there, and although he could have waited for someone to awaken and see him out there, he didn't want to risk any kind of wild life coming along and killing him, so John did the only thing he could do and that was scale the wall. He grabbed hold of the closest stone and began to climb, although he was having a hard time finding and hand holds, and by the time he had scaled the wall and fallen on the other side in some kind of garden. His hands were bleeding and he had cut his clothes up a bit when ever he lost his grip climbing up and he didn't stay awake for long as he had bumped his head on a stone when he fell down, blood slowly coating his head as well. As he was soon consumed by the darkness that claimed him, John only hoped that whoever found him was a kind soul.

RE: Isha's Travels

The sun rose early at Deramu. And as was their routine, the slaves of the colony rose from their beds to begin their tasks assigned to them by their masters. The compound was divided into different segments responsible for various resources needed to keep the master, his family and hired help living in a style they had grown quite comfortable with for many generations. This is where Ishi was sold at a mere 9 months old. She was born to the Goddess Aphrodite some 16 years earlier. Rejected by the Goddess of perfect beauty for having ears that were not simetrical and a large scar on the back of her neck from a difficult birth, she was ordered out of her sight and taken away to eventually wind up at the House of Gingari. It was a place that many of her defective children were sent and the Gingari of Deramu were happy to take them off her hands. Not only were they beautiful to look at, but they made fine workers.

Ishi, who awoke earlier than the rest, rose from her cot as she did any other day. She had a small hut of her own where she slept, cooked and survived. Because she was given leadership as one of the main gardeners in this section, she was allowed some privacy. So, she washed her face, styled her long hair into a braid down her back, dressed and proceeded out with the other workers assigned to the botanical section. It was here that they grew not only fruits and vegetables, but also plants for medicinal use. Ishi had been assigned to this section because of her natural ability with plants and their various usages.

She had many siblings at Deramu, eventually they all found each other some point. They never spoke about it much, except to themselves. The bond seemed to make life at the compound more bearable. So it was no surprise that three of her siblings worked in the gardens with her.

As she left their hut and walked out into the bright sunlight, she shielded her eyes as she looked around. It was difficult not to notice that something had gotten into the berries overnight. Sighing with ill temper at the loss she would have to log against her name, she walked over to see just how much was lost. But as she got closer, she could see that the animal was still there. Reaching down, she picked up the nearest tree limb she could find and slowly walked forward. But the closer she came to the creature, the more she realized that it was a man.

Slowly she approached, seeing that he was out and there was blood seeping from the side of his head. Laying the stick down, she hurried to the man and turned him over. Indeed he was hurt. Glancing upwards to the wall, she could see the blood stained ledge where he must have hit his head. Shaking her head, she looked back down at him, not sure what to do; this had never happened before.

"What do you have there?" Called out her half brother, Rinya. Rinya was big and had the strength of two men or more. He had the same mother as Ishi, but his father was a human gifted with great muscles and power. Ishi looked up as he approached and then sat down on his heels looking at the man laying there. "Oh....this is not good." He spoke the obvious. "He is hurt, we need to get him inside my hut. Will you help me Rinya?" Rinya raised an eyebrow at Ishi. "Don't you think the Master would wish to know about this?" Rinya knew what happened to those who held secrets from the family. But it didn't seem to keep slaves from having them. But this...this was rather difficult to keep quiet, especially once more hands arrived. "First, we treat his wounds, then inform the master." She said in an authoritative manner. Rinya smirked, "You're five years younger than me and yet you order me around like you little pup.[/color] He scowled half kidding. Standing, he picked the man up, threw him over his shoulder and took him to Ishi's hut, laying him on her cot. Standing back, he let Ishi go to him and begin treatment. "You must tell the foreman today, Ishi. Or I will tell him to protect us both. I'll get the workers started." He left her alone with this stranger, knowing he would be keeping tabs throughout the day.

Now alone with this man, Ishi addressed his wounds, removed his shirt and cleaned him up, then covered him to let him sleep. Taking the cleaning water and rags outside, she wrung them out and tossed the water before coming back inside.

John had fallen into a dreamless sort of sleep as his body recovered from what he had put it through. While it didn't really show that much, he had been through more then just the trekking across the desert, although the end of that trek with all the scrapping was definantly the worse of it. As he stayed in the darkness, he felt something pick him up and carry him somewhere and lay him down on something softer than what he had landed on, but all felt so distant, like he wasn't really feeling it but just slightly experiencing it. Then he felt something wet being dabbed against him and this brought him back a little, moaning as whoever was helping him left and move his head side to side, but as she came back in his eyes fluttered open and John raised himself slightly to look about the small hut.

It wasn't all that impressive since it held just the necessities someone would need to barely get by, but as he looked around John soon spotted the girl who must have called the place home. She was beautiful he thought, although something about her didn't really seem quite right, but John couldn't put a finger on what it could be and shrugged as he sat himself up and turned so that his legs were off the bed and his feet touched the floor as he looked at her, a hand feeling the bandage that covered his head. "Where are you, and do you mind telling me where it is that I am?" he asked, wondering how such a weak looking woman was able to carry him here, "and was it you that brought me here?"

As Ishi returned inside the hut, she quickly dropped the bucket and hurried over to the man's side and gently persuaded him to lay back down. Once he was settled, she couldn't help but notice that even in his dazed state, he had the most beautiful color of eyes. "My name is Ishi, and you are at the compound of Deramu, under the rule of the Gingari. I found you by the wall of our garden. You were injured and I had you brought in here to tend to your wounds." She explained, checking to make sure he had not opened the wound on his head again. "We will have to tell the Master you are here soon." She explained, sitting back, her hands folded neatly in her lap. "I would wish you to be awake and able to understand what is being said to you." She smiled gently at him. "I will make you a broth to help with Ihealing, and some cool tea, for you look as though you have traveled far, sir." She did not ask his name, she did not know what position he held in the world and it would not be proper to ask the name of someone who could have power over her.

Rising, she went to her small hearth and began to prepare the meager meal and bit of tea. Once the pot was over the fire, she brought over the tea, sitting beside him once more and helping him drink it. "I pray the Master will be calm of mind when you are presented to him. And good fortune shall be yours." She said softly.

Soon she would need to join the others in the field, she was already late in her duties. She prayed, by all the Gods, that the Foreman had not arrived yet. He could be very cruel when he wanted to be. "Your wound seems deep, perhaps you should have come through the gates, going over the wall was very dangerous." Just then she could hear the pot boiling. Standing, she tended to the pot and retrieved a small bowl of broth with bits of vegetables. Bringing it back to him, she offered it to him.

John listened to what it was that the woman had to say to him, memorizing her name and where it was that she said he was at. Something in his mind rung though when she said her name, but what it was he didn't know but he would remember to try and think on why it did so later. "Thank you then for seeing to me. You didn't have to do any of that Mrs. Ishi. I would have been fine anyways, I've been through worse." he lied, watching her get up and bring him some tea while putting a pot over a fire, and he took the drink carefully and sipped from it, letting the drink go down his throat slowly as she said that he was going to have to meet whoever her Master was. "You make this person sound like he's a terrible person." he said absent minded.

He sat there for a moment in silence before the pot started to make some noise. Watching as Ishi went to the pot and fetched him some soup, John couldn't help but wonder if whatever his friend sent him to protect was here. This was the first thing he had found out the in desert, and besides maybe a few oasis, it would probably be the only thing too. "Ishi, can I ask you something. Is there another settlement near here were someone could hide something, or maybe some old ruins?" he asked as he gingerly took the broth from her and ate slowly. The last thing he wished to do was appear like a pig before the person who had helped him when he needed it.

Ishi smiled softly at his worry that the Master sounded bad, "I do my Master an injustice if I've made him seem anything but a good, benevolent Master. He provides for our needs, as we toil to provide his. It is a simple life, but each know their place." She watched the man begin to get some color back into his face as he drank from the cup of tea and the bowl of soup. Once he finished, she took the bowl and glass, placing the bowl in a pan to be cleaned later and refilled his tea. Coming back to his side, she set it on the small table that looked as though it had been discarded and retrieved from the trash and placed there.

Upon his question of another settlement, Ishi shook her head no. "I've never heard of another settlement. As far as I know, we are all alone here, except for the occasional lost soul that asks for my Master's mercy to stay and rest for a bit. And ruins? What are ruins?" Ishi had never left the walls of the compound in her entire life. She had no idea what laid just outside the gates, nor had she ever desired to learn. This was her home. The only one she'd ever known. She had learned what was expected of her and had performed her duties faithfully. What else was there in life but the joy of pleasing he who owned her?

Getting up, she walked to the entrance, picking up her tools on the way. Looking back at the man, she said, "I must get to my crops before I am missed. Please rest and I will check in on you at midday. If you are well enough, you will be taken to the Master." She flashed him a glowing smile, then was gone out the door, not knowing who this man was, or why he had come over the wall...she didn't even know his name. But, she was of no importance and therefore may never known these things. His fate was up to her Master now.

John smiled up at Ishi as she took his bowl and glass, once both were empty of their contents, and put the bowl away while giving him another glass of cold tea. Slowly he drank this as well and listened to what she had to say about her Master and answer his question. It was obvious that she was never given an education though, as she had no clue what ruins were and he was about to explain what they were when she was picking up some tools and saying for him to rest while she went to work and then left him there. John watched her leave, and although he wished to comply with her, he couldn't go back to sleep even if he wanted to.

For awhile he sat there and thought about what it was that his friend had told him. That he had a jewel hidden out here in the desert, but with what Ishi told him this was the only place something could be hid. But why would he hid something where a greedy slave would take it and keep it for themselves? John just shook his head though to shake away any thoughts and looked the little hut over again. The conditions Ishi lived in were horrible to him, everything was so worn and old. He wondered if they were all just hand me downs from when he Master was through with something. "I can fix that though." John said to himself as he clapped his hands together and drew a small intricate circle on the ground with a piece of chalk that he carried with him. With only a few words muttered under his breath, a light flashed from the hut and took only a second to die down.

John had closed his eyes, anticipating what was to come, and when he opened them everything looked so much better in his eyes. The pots and pans, which were once dull looking, shone as same as the day they were made, the sheets to Ishi's bed were mended and looked as if time could not touch them. The paint was vibrant instead of peeling off the walls. Everything about her hut looked new again, like the hands of time had been set back and they all looked like the day they were created. He knew this would please Ishi easily, and so he sat back down on her bed to await her return.

It was hot in the desert, and those that lived there became use to the beating of the sun on their brow. Ishi had arrived with the workers before the Foreman had arrived. Thankfully, he had not gone near the berry bushes, which meant that perhaps she would be able to salvage the plants. Rinya had stopped his weeding just long enough to give her a questioning look. She simply nodded to him lightly and proceeded to check on those picking fruits from the orchard, then on to the vegetable patch as she walked up and down the rows looking for any plant with a brown spot or two. When she found one, she would kneel and put her hands around it until the heat left her hands and she knew it was healed. Standing, she moved on to the next one until the field was done.

It was just before noon when she arrived at the berry patch. She had just tended to the smashed vines, restoring them to their healthy state, when the voice of the Foreman was behind her. "The Master commented on how wonderful and juicy the fruit had become under your care, Ishi. He said that never had the plants of Demaru ever been so sweet." The Foreman paused to the let the words sink in. "Of course, he commended ME for keeping things running so smoothly." Ishi stood and turned to the Foreman. "And never has there been one so eager to take credit for someone else's work."

The Foreman and Ishi had a long history together. He was 10 years older than her and had taken it upon himself to be her guardian of sorts. At least thats what he liked to call himself. He was a sloppy, dirty, sweaty man that thought because he looked after the slaves, he could take liberties with them. But Ishi had always managed to keep him at arms length. Perhaps because they both knew that the Master had favored her since she was brought here. Strange things seemed to occur whenever she was a child. Things that could only be directed towards her and some strange power she had over certain things, like plants. It amazed and terrified those around her, except her fellow siblings.

"I am glad the Master is pleased with the gardens. It is my only hope that he would be." She said simply, as she started to walk towards the mulberry bushes, hoping he would go away. But the foreman was angry, "You take too many liberties with me, Ishi. I have the Master's ear, one word from me and you can be transferred to the dung heap. How would you like to shovel shit all day long? You wouldn't be so high and might then, would you?" He called after her. But turned with a scowl and left.

Soon, the sun was directly overhead and Ishi left the fields to eat at her hut. She had a basket of vegetables and fruits in a small basket as she came into the hut. But her eyes became big as saucers when she saw the transformation. The basket fell to the floor, scattering the food. She could feel her heart beating fast, terrified...not understanding what had happened to her small sanctuary. "Wha....what have you done?!!" She wailed. "Where did you get these things? The Master will be furious." Her terrified eyes darted towards him. "You will get us beaten.. or worse killed!!!" She who had never given her Master a moment of worry, was now terrified he'd find out and punish her severely.

John sat there for hours and had nothing to entertain himself with. He had fixed Ishi's hut up with a little of his energy, but that was childs play with what he could really do, if he really wanted to cause worry to those that lived here. He could give them a small break though. As Ishi was coming back into her hut and dropped her basket of food, John had just drawn a circle and about to perform a second little ritual that was going to, hopefully, give all of those that worked here a break from the heat, but when he heard her saying what it was that he done, he froze and stood up to look at her and her horrified look.

"I've done nothing except made what was old look new again. Does this not please you, now that your home looks better than what it once was?" he asked, not really sure what it was that she was worried about, and hearing that her Master would have her beaten or worse, actually made him upset a little. "He beats you and the others? How dare he do something like that. I must confront your Master at once." John demanded of her, forgetting of what he was going to do and instead stood before Ishi to be taken to whoever this Master was.

Ishi put her hand up, indicating they could not do as he requested. "I am a slave here. Nothing more. Not even the Foremen have such a fine hut. Now return it back to how it was. It may not be as fine as you are use to, but it was mine and I most humbly appreciated it." Her little face pinched in determination to have things back to normal, her hands on her hips, and a foot that kept time with some unheard beat. She might have been smaller than this wild man she had taken in, but everything about her radiated power. Which seemed an oxymoron in the fact that she was a slave.

How could this man come into their world and think he could just do anything he wanted. Did he not know that the moment he climbed over that wall he was at the mercy and good graces of her Master? Everyone on this green bit of land that existed within the midst of sand knew their place, their service and lived in harmony. Ishi couldn't say there were no bad people that lived within the walls, but one had to learn how to deal with them. Ishi had had her share of such men, but often they would simply disappear after getting too fresh with her. Of course, no one ever questioned her, she never tried to be noticed by anyone. Of course, she couldn't help it when it came to plants. They just seemed drawn to her and her every wish. She never understood it, but just accepted it long ago. And so did the Master, putting her where her skill would do him most good.

John stared at Ishi for a moment, listening to her explain to him how she couldn't have such a nice little place to live and then demand to change it back. The girl had no idea what power he held, let alone what influence he could use if he desired. But he also knew that he would make many enemies using that influence, hence why he only used it in emergencies only, and after careful consideration he finally nodded his head, all be it a little stubbornly. "Fine, we shall do things your way lass. Plus I don't want to get on your master's bad side, not yet at least unless it will benefit me." he said and then slowly walked back to the circle he had drawn and repeated the process he had first done, clapping his hands together and closing his eyes as a bright flash filled the little hut. He knew he should have warned Ishi what was to come to she would recover from the flash quickly enough.

As he opened his eyes, time seemed to move in fast forward as everything in her room started to age and then in the space of a few seconds had returned to what it once appeared as he had seen it. Why she would want to live in such squallier, he wouldn't know unless he got to know her, but he wasn't going to stay here for too long if he could help it and walked back to Ishi to look down at her, looking a little stern as he did so. "Now may we please go see your Master now. I promised a now dead friend I would guard something for him and I'm not about to fail him now." he asked of her, his patience growing a little thin if she said they couldn't yet because he or she was busy eating or entertaining themselves.

Ishi was satisfied that he agreed to change things back. Crossing her arms in front of her, she had no fear of this man who seemed very full of himself. Even his quest sounded more like he was patting himself on the back for going out of his way to fulfill this friends last request.

As he went to the center of the hunt, she watched his movements until the bright flash, which she quickly covered her eyes with her arms and turned from the waist away from it. Once the light simmered down and she could adjust her eyes, she was amazed at the site before her. The whirlwind of that was reversing the hut back to normal felt like it would blow the small home into a million pieces. By the time the room was finished, she was looking at the stranger with different eyes.

But when he demanded she take him to her Master, she stood there a moment with a hint of a grin on her face before she simply said, "No." Picking up the basket from the floor and gathering up the spilled vegetables. "You will go nowhere until we've had some lunch." She spoke to him with authority. "Besides, I cannot take you to the Master's home, you will have to be handed over to the Foreman, who will hand you over to the Overseer, who will then take you to the Master's guards, and then you might be allowed to see him today."

Ishi was rather enjoying this. She had just watched this man bend time and space and make reference to the fact that he could somehow control the Master? Oh how little he knew of her Master and even less of this slave before him. Quickly she went about preparing the meal. Adding a bit of cooked meat into the pot. Now it was just a matter of it boiling into a fine meaty soup.

Turning back to the man, she pulled over a small stool and placed it next to the bed. Sitting down upon it she indicated that he should sit on the bed. "Now, perhaps it would be good of you to tell me your name, since I gave you mine already. And why you are here?"

He had a feeling that she was going to tell him no, although the lunch part he didn't predict, and although his patience was now starting to wear a little thin, he knew that he was going to have to play whatever game it was that she was playing with him for now and so with a sigh, as she started to cook whatever they were to have for lunch, he sat down on the bed he had laid down on a few hours ago and looked at her. Her question made him wonder for a bit about whether or not he should tell her his name, and then nodded his head. There was no way she could know who he was, not if she didn't even know what ruins were.

"I'm John, but you will not know my last name, not yet at least. But I have come from far away to find something that my friend left out here in the desert, and it can only be here that he left it at, but I have no clue what that may be. It could be a simple item like a book, it could be something as expensive as a gem, or something else that I'm not naming. All I know is that I need to find it and keep whatever it is safe. And what about you? How is it that you ended up here in slavery?" he asked, deciding that if she was going to dig a little into him then he might as well do the same.

Ishi listened intently to John, and almost smiled at the fact that he would not give her his last name. "So, you seek a treasure. Something of value you can take home and sit on a shelf and admire?" She had to grin now. "If my Master has such a thing, he will not give it up so easily." And I will keep you from it with all I have inside me. She thought to herself.

But now he was asking about her. "I am the abandoned daughter of Aphrodite, as are many of the slaves here. I have a human father, though I know not who he is. I, and my half siblings here, were discarded because of our imperfections. Those who brought us here sell us and we live out our lives taking care of our Master." She said simply. It was just a matter of fact, their place sealed in centuries of customs. They were never to be seen by the world for their mother could bare not imperfections. To do so could call down her wrath.

But, they were not beaten or tortured without cause. And the Master seemed to favor Aphrodite children above all other slaves. Each child had abilities no ordinary human had. It was a win-win situation, and Ishi had known nothing else to compare it with. She was kept dry when it rained...and she did not have to work on those days, and cooled from the sun. She never went hungry. No man would dare rape her or find themselves suffering those that had disappeared.

"So, John, man of mystery. What if this treasure is not a book, or gem or something to look at. What if this thing of value is merely a thought?" Suddenly the water began to boil and she went to tend to it.

John shock his head at what Ishi said about taking whatever her master may have that he sought but not letting him have it easily. "It will not be sitting on a shelf to be admired. It is something that my friend held dear and he wished for me to find it and to protect it. Not to sit on a shelf to gather dust." he said sternly, quieting himself as she began to tell a bit about herself. He found it curious that she was a daughter of Aphrodite and wondered just how many mortal men that seductive goddess had seduced just to use them for their seed. He shook his head at the thought and the possible staggering numbers and decided to answer her next question instead of thinking on this.

"I do not think my friend would have me come all the way out here without my life companion for a simple thought. He wasn't that kind of man. No, it has to be something that one can actually hold and look at and treasure." he said and then muttered under his breath, "At least it better be something that I can carry with me. I didn't travel all this way for a mere thought or idea." As she checked the water, John looked at her back and saw a nasty looking scar on her neck. "I take it that scar on your neck is the imperfaection that your so called mother tossed you out for?"

Ishi's back straightened immediately. Here, the siblings never talked of their imperfections. Out of respect for each other, they chose to concentrate on their good features, even if they are disfigured more than others. Slowly she turned, without anger or malice. She calmly answered him, "Yes, that is my imprefections. As well as my ears, shall I show you the other imperfection that turned my mother's stomach? So much so, she would condemn me to slavery?" Even though she had spoken softly and tenderly.

Ishi may have accepted her fate, but she wasn't so ignorant not to realize the selfishness of her mother and a father that wanted nothing to do with her either. Smiling gently she asked, "Are you hungry? I believe its ready for us now." Turning back to the stove, her face quickly lost her smile and began to ladle out the stew. One into a bowl, the other onto a plate. Taking her spoon, she handed it and the plate to John. Motioning back to her bed and the small side table, she sat down, leaving the bed for John again. "I hope this meager meal with satisfy you, I'm afraid I don't have much to offer and I can tell you are use to so much more."

Lowering her eyes, she asked, "So you have a mate that you left behind? How sad for her, that a promise would take her love away. I hope this thing of value will be worth her wait." Slowly, Ishi began to sip the broth out of her bowl like a cup.

Her ears? he thought when she answered his question about the imperfection. He looked at her ears closely and saw that they were slightly at different points of her head, but to him the difference in height was barely noticeable and he wouldn't doubt that many others would notice the difference either. But what was this third imperfection? He was curious about it, but judging by how she had reacted at his curiosity of just the scar he thought that asking to see this one would be all that wise. Not yet at least. "No, I don't think that will be necessary Ishi. These are personal and only something you should be willing to share, not be forced to." he said as she came over and handed him a plate that had a stew on it.

Looking at her again, he couldn't help but wonder if he was stealing food from her even though she was only be hospitable to him by offering what she had to him. Just the looks of the room was enough to tell him that she didn't have all that much to offer and her giving him some of her food probably only added to that strain on her body, so that once she was seated and was asking about his mate he handed her the plate of food. "I thank you for the food, but I will be fine missing a meal or two. You however, need all the food that you can get and more so since you seem to be a hard worked to have your own place for privacy. And no, you will not be giving me that food back. And that is that."

Her question about a mate made him shake his head. He knew that he said life partner, but he wasn't being all that clear about What this life partner was. "It's not really a she thats waiting for me, its a guy," he said and knew that she was going to give him a funny look at that and he quickly added in, "but not that kind of guy. I mean.....ok look. I can't really tell you without you saying that I'm lying. Just know that I'm bonded with a male for life. You'll understand better when you meet my companion. And he likes to be scratched." he said, knowing she was going to be confused until the two met which he looked forward to if it ever happened.

Ishi did not take the plate back, she simply raised her head and looked at it, then up at him. "John, I live in the middle of a garden. We are allowed to eat what we need without permission. The Master does not abuse his slaves, he wants us to be well and productive. Besides, here...refusing to eat food that has been prepared in hospitality is an insult. But you are new here and no not our ways." She paused and gently pushed the plate back to him. "So, please share this meal with me." She gave him a soft smile before taking another sip from her bowl.

As John explained who his life partner was, she couldn't help but raise an eyebrow. Not at the fact that he said it was a guy, here sexual orientation was not important. But his stuttering and explanation seem awfully difficult for him. But then he said, When you meet him This cause her to stop eating as she looked into his eyes. "Why would I meet him?" She asked matter-of-factly. It is apparent that you are not slave, John. Your clothing suggests that you are free man with some wealth. If you had come through the gates, you would have been known by my Master already. If someone else had found you, he might not be so forgiving of you or the one you were with. But, I could not send you to the Master looking like you did earlier. However, I would love to witness how you explain yourself to him.;" She actually grinned widely at the thought, shaking her head and lifting the bowl for the last of the broth. At that, she began to eat the solid food with her fingers. Putting a finger into her mouth from time to time to lick the juices off of them.

"So maybe you do live in the middle of a garden, but if I know anything about masters its that they are selfish people who like to hoard and feed themselves the best while giving those under them the worst. Its rare to find a master whose as generous as you say he is but I bet this is all a lie. That he is much cruller than your making him out to be. And where I come from, those who are less fortunate are to be helped, its our way and I will be helping you along with all of these half breeds," he said, not really sure if that was the proper term or if she would be infuriated by it, "and for that I will need to see your master then for that as well." he said.

Getting up from the bed, John crossed across the little hut and stood at the doorway as he waited for her to finish eating. He wasn't going to take any more food from her than he already did. "I will stand here and wait for you to finish eating, but when you are done you WILL take me to your master. You won't hand me to some foreman, you yourself will lead the way. Is that clear?" he asked in a stern voice as he narrowed his amber eyes, light enough that they could appear golden at times, as he watched her eat and waited for her response.

No one had ever treated her in this manner before. His eyes narrowed, and so did her's. He was demanding her as if she were his slave!!! How dare he. She looked over at the plate he had left behind and a sadness came over her face. He had not only insulted her hospitality, he had insulted her by treating as if she had to obey him. Slowly standing, she picked up his plate and walked to the sink, taking her time to throw the scraps away. Then she walked to the door and picked up her garden tool as her long lashes slowly rose, her eyes boring into his.

"You illegally come over a wall intended to keep people out. You smash a portion of the garden that I fixed so that the foreman would not hear of it and punish you. You will not eat the food I prepared as if it is proper to waste it. Then you treat me like your slave. I am slave to only one man. And you are not him. I will NOT take you anywhere, it is not my job. You would do well to learn the customs and rules here, if you wish to speak to me again."

Her voice was calm but fierce somehow. Quickly, she moved through the door and called out for Rinya who was two times her size. "He is ready to be introduced to the Master. Please take him where he needs to go." Without looking back she walked out into the field to join the others. Rinya watched her go. He had seen Ishi in many moods, but this was a new one. Looking back at the man, he said, "Boy, are you in trouble." He smirked. "I don't know what you did, but if I were you, I wouldn't cross her path again." Rinya just shook his head with an amused look on his face.

He motioned for John to follow him as he turned and walked down the path.

John watched Ishi as she looked almost sadly at the plate he has left on the bed and then took it to the sink and threw away all that was on it. Why she did that, he didn't know, as even he wasn't that wasteful. When he hunted he used every bit of the animal, not just hunting it for only its meat or fur. But then she walked up to him and gathered her things and glared into him before she spook harshly to him. This kind of attitude from a slave wasn't expected, it surprsied him but at the same time it pleased him. While he was doing something for a deceased friend, he still owed it to those like him to seek out those that showed promise.

But she walked away and called a mountain of a man over to take him to meet their master most likely, and after listening to what the big guy said, John could only shake his head and follow him to wherever it was that he would take him. "It is my hopes that we do cross paths again, and soon before I leave here. There is something about her that I can't put my finger on." he said, before falling silent and followed Rinya silently like a sheep following others, but John was anything but a sheep following blindly.

Ishi did not turn back towards the man that had just insulted her as she continued towards the others. Not only had he insulted her hospitality, she had wasted valuable time away from her chores in an effort to strengthen this intruder before facing the master. Was he so blind or self centered that he could not see that?!

As Ishi reached the others, they greeted each other as always was the custom, but for some reason they seemed to be keeping their distance this morning. Perhaps it was the look on her face, or the way she her hoe was cutting into the ground with a passion. Everyone that worked the fields knew that Ishi seemed to have a gift with making things seem to simply spring out of the ground, they had even heard that while the master raised her as if she were one of his own she had somehow saved his son from death. But no one knew how it happened and no one was allowed to ask. Now here she was in a state none of them had ever seen before.

But Ishi was deep in thought. Even in her anger, this John had touched a nerve somehow. A nerve she never knew existed. It was something in his manner, his disposition of authority, his royal attitude which seemed out of place from someone breaking into another man's private space. The more she thought of this man, the more irritated she got. So concentrated that she hadn't realized that the plants around her were withering and slowly dieing. But it did not go unnoticed by the others. So shocked, they had stopped working and stood there watching her as she left a trail of dead plants in her wake.

Suddenly, Ishi could feel eyes upon her and she stopped her work, straightened suddenly and looked up to see all the workers starring at her. Was that fear in their eyes? Immediately her eyes widened, for surely there was something . "What is wrong?" Spinning around, prepared for some predatory animal that had slipped into the compound, or the occasional slave that turns mad from captivity, but that rarely happened from those who came here from birth. But as she turned to look, there was no one there. It wasn't until her eyes slowly fell to the ground that she saw the destruction she had left behind, and she gasped, covering her mouth and holding back the tears.

Composing herself, she brought her hands down to her side and turned back to the workers who she now understood why they were looking at her like that. "Go...go to the rest area and tell cook Ishi said to give you some sweetness to give you more energy for the work ahead. I will clean up this mess and when you return we shall quickly finish and enjoy a cool glass of spring water together." She smiled warmly towards them, even though she wanted to cry at the death she had just caused. Slowly, the group left, one following the other, some looking back at Ishi with intrepid eyes. She simply smiled and waves to them as they left, calling out..."Tell cook to make sure she gives you a big plate!" When the last one was finally far enough away, she walked over to the plants, fell to her knees and wept like a child, holding the withered stems like a mother would a sick child. As her tears fell upon the plant, it began to heal. Its healing touched the next plant, that plant the one next to it until they were all grown, green and well. But still Ishi cried. For never had anyone angered her so since that time so long ago. What was it about this John that got under her skin so? And why was she not able to control it now? After all these years, why was she not able to control that dark part of herself from surfacing just because of one man from the other side of the wall?!

Rinya silently lead John inside of the, out of the lack of better words, castle that stood in the center of the wall and gardens and whatever else it was that was contained in this place. John had no clue what it was that this master kept here, for all he knew the man could have an armory and soldiers to protect his home. Although since it was in the middle of the desert, he doubted that would be necessary. Any attackers would be done in by the heat, but again John remained silent as Rinya led the way in. Guards would stop them on occasion but then Rinya would explain what was happening and they would let them both pass on through. He found this a little odd since he was only a traveler passing on through and Rinya a slave, but he didn't ask why this was so unless he wanted to insult Rinya as well.

The pair passed through cold stone walls, their footsteps echoing off the walls and vibrating down as they moved in silence until the floor was suddenly carpeted with red rugs and paintings hung from the walls. He gave them each only a passing glance as he figured that they were the painted pictures of whoever was the current master's past family. Each looked noble in their own way, but as they passed more he could see a subtle change about each of them but John couldn't put his finger on it when Rinya stopped and John accidentally ran into his back. "Our master is through here," he said and then pushed the doors aside and bowed himself out, "and I bide you to be careful." he said and then departed himself from the room and John walked in to bow before a man who sat in a golden throne. "Good evening your Highness. I'm here because there is something that a friend of mine left in your apparent care and I'm here to gather it."

Gingari of Deramu simply sat on his throne as this stranger was brought before him. Even though he provided him with the common courtesies, he wasn't fond of the way this ...... visitor?......demanded things. Gingari did not answer for a long time, studying this stranger with such gall. Except for the rumpled clothing and dust still clinging to him, one would have to agree he was no peasant. But to think that he, Gingar of Deramu, had something that had been left behind for another man to take? Impossible!!!

No, this man would need to be studied. "And what is the name of this man that assumes I have something for him to....gather?" He asked carefully.

John stood there staring at the man sitting in the throne for the longest time, waiting for him to say something. He didn't show it, but he squirmed at the silence that stretched out until the man finally said something, but not what he was expecting. "My friends name if F'lar. He was one of my kind and when he did, so did his mate for life. We were all devastated at his death as he was one of our best, but as he passed away, he told me to come and gather and protect what it was that he left out here. And your slave, Ishi, said that there was no other settlement near here which means he could only have left it here. That's why I'm here. To gather and protect what it was that he left here." he said, explaining to Ishi's master what it is why he was doing here.

Back
Top Bottom