Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The what and what nots of screwing with creatures...

Lox

Super-Earth
Far into the outskirts of Transylvania where the very tiny populace who were already tacked with the notion of mass insanity there was one particularly odd individual currently making his way to the supposed center of evil in all the lands. Now it takes a special kind of crazy to live in Transylvania with literally everyone raving on about some kind of monstrosity that was wreaking havoc on some small lowly town. On top of everyone here always being close to hysterics by some twist of fate this land had spawned a resident that was both immune to the crippling fear gripping everyone and the insanity. Then again, an insane man doesn't necessarily see himself as insane which was the case of this strange individual who was currently heading towards a large castle set into a mountain not too many miles away. Who was his name, and though it was a quirky name to go by it was the first thing out of everyone's mouth he met and honestly he couldn't remember ever being called anything else. The thing about Who was everything he did people in the land considered suicidal, from walking around at night, (which he enjoyed because of the moonlight and clarity of sounds in the cool night air) Lurking, (he had learned to walk silently because he thought it disturbed people as big as he was thumping around) and last but not least having no apparent regard for superstitions.

Who traveled at night because he preferred it, and was instantly labeled as a dead man but to his surprise he hadn't died yet. He slept in grave yards when no tavern would take him and they said his soul was going to be sucked out or he was going to be eaten by those long past but weren't at rest but always woke feeling refreshed if not a bit stiff. And Who's favorite kind of cats were black cats, feared and renowned for their bad luck where he figured he had accumulated about several lifetimes worth over everything he did wrong. Normally in such paranoid places people like him would be hung, tarred and feathered, or outright run from the villages but one thing that kept most away as easily as his supposed cursed self was his size. The people native to the land were somewhat small and squat or tall and skinny, but Lox was not only stood a tall six feet four inches but he was also heavily built underneath the loose cloths he favored. What disturbed most people (at least what he learned after asking a semi friendly foreign stranger who shied away from him before Who cornered the man) was that for his size he moved too easily to me counted as normal. As for his silence in walking and moving he pointed out to Who that the people in this land were paranoid enough without having a mini giant (how does that even work?) popping up beside them.

So after learning to forgo villages and towns and sticking to the forests Who had taken up adventuring that actually made him pretty good money. People were terrified of certain places, and once he proved them safe and totally harmless they paid him for braving the fear (there was none to begin with...) and he went about his way. But this castle, while not castlevania which was his next stop was supposedly the second most evil and feared place in Transylvania, which came as odd because no one seemed to know it's name. There weren't even budding businessmen who were willing to send people there to see if it was empty so deciding to take a break Who had chosen this place to visit. People spoke of vampires, werewolves, horrible dragons (really?) and a whole slew of terrible creatures living there, and hell if he didn't come back people would just assume he had been eaten or something. Lurking along silently through the sparse forest that led to the castle, Who wondered what beast he'd run into first and actually snorted a giggle. What was the creature that would be nibbling on his bones by this time tomorrow?

Perhaps whispers were the best means of getting the word out. Fear tasted better than any drop of blood on the tongue, Aethe would sometimes muse, for those that were feared had little company otherwise. Humans were prey after all, seeing the scatter was oh-so lovely indeed. Though, like most of her kind, she had to mingle amongst the prey in order to get close, knowing how the paranoid could be clumsy, but also annoying on the defense. Having been not fed in a fed in a few days, the hooded beauty took a walk in the forest that night, perhaps hoping to have a run in with bandits, or maybe get somewhere by morning. The night was strangely quiet however, and there were no little footsteps she could hear to follow, and Lady Aethe, the name of the whispered fear of the forest - had to return home to the castle before dawn, for unlike the legends that spoke of Vampire Death by sunlight - it would make her weak, and being weak out in day time was never a good thing.

Getting close and seeing the towering black stone above the trees, she came to the home bound road, moving faster and more shadow like than before - no longer caring of that which noticed her. Animals has long learned to stay away from Castle Attika, the presence of death too bitter for even the most carnivorous of forest predators, save, of course, the other ones like herself. But as she approached, she paused mid step to see large figure near the entrance, looming and foreign and indefinitely human. Her dark eyes turned to slits as she watched the man. He was quiet for his size, she noted - not even hearing him from before, how easily he could sneak up on her home. Like an animal analyzing prey, she drank in her next meal's feature like a wine, slowly, and curiously.

"You there," she finally called to him from beneath her hood, her pink lips dancing in the webbed shadows of the forest trees. "What are you doing so close to the castle? It is dangerous here!"

Who wasn't expecting to be hailed this far from nowhere and by a lady no less, and though it perked his instincts that such a young and lovely voice was hailing him in what was considered such a dangerous and cursed land he couldn't help but wonder... "Dangerous for me? I'm not quite sure if it's dangerous for anyone really. I haven't been mauled or eaten yet, so I don't think it's all that bad really especially with the architecture!" He marveled at the sheer size and wondered just how much man power and how many years of labor had gone into such a massive construction. The castle itself while in a somewhat gloomy location was beautiful, and for the life of him he couldn't figure out why someone would just leave such a thing to waste away into nothingness. But then again what if it wasn't abandoned? Whirling around suddenly for a man of his size wasn't very endearing to those in this country, then again he was excited and smiled at her happily. "You wouldn't happen to live here would you? There are so many people who think this place is evil and cursed but I don't think it's anything like that at all. I think evil people make a place evil, but once removed the land sits unattended with nothing but the spiders to keep it company because everyone's so afraid that spirits and what not haunt the place."

Who had a long lopping stride that made it look like he was bouncing, but it had the effect of almost totally muffling his footsteps as he bowed low to the lady at good distance away from her so as to not frighten her off. People didn't like stranger's getting to close, so he gave her plenty of room to either run away or come closer if she chose as he bowed low and easy in a strange manner with his left leg crossed over his right and crossing his left arm over his chest as his right hand extended in a warm greeting. "I'm sorry for jabbering on like that milady, it's been quite some time since I've had a chance to chat with anyone this far out of the villages though that's kinda my fault because I avoid them. I can't abide by the paranoid too often or I get jumpy as well. My name is Who, and how do you do this fine evening?" He smiled warmly as he stayed bowed and looked into the depths of her hood with neither fear or prejudice in his strange eyes. The last reason people avoided him was because of his hair and his eyes, which had nearly gotten him attacked outright because the residence of Transylvania did not understand what he was. Who found out later that he was an Albino, a person born with a strange blood that gave him his stark white hair that was the color of snow, and more disturbing even though he rarely got mad was the odd crimson color of his eyes.

Back
Top Bottom