Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

between saints and sinners

Sweetly_masked

Super-Earth
Valerie swung her backpack over her shoulder as crept out of the alleyway she had changed into her street clothes. With her hair down and fake glasses she once again lost all the sparkle that her alter-ego shined with. If her beautiful face wasn't hidden under the appearance of a bookworm she would never be able to live a reasonable normal life. Her Pheromones made sure that the men around her were always on the prowl, but if she de-beautified her appearance, they wouldn't be able to pint as the source of their lust. Her yellow tights were snugly hidden in her book bag along with her mask and boots. if it wasn't for the zipper locking it in her disguise threaten to burst out and reveal it's self to all around here.

Fire-bringer, as normal, was being a pest and causing havoc in town. she HATED having to fight him before class. Was it really so had to ask that a super villain would only attack on weekend? Or at least after 4 when she was finished with school. Mostly she only had to fight with low powered punks with some powers but Firebringer was the only one the could make her break a sweat. She had yet to defeat him, and she wanted too so badly, but at the same time he wasn't able to best her either. She detested him though, everything he did, every word out of his mouth annoyed her that she wanted to rip his head off....one day. She told herself. One day she might be able to find a prison that could hold him.

The girl pulled out her cellphone, looking at the clock. "Shit." She swore, then dash like an animal trying to get away from a predictor. With her powerful legs, well trained from fighting crime Valerie was able to cover a large chunk of the campus. Her large backpack weighing her down and surprisingly making her resemble a turtle as she wattle/ran by.

"I'm Here!" She burst into the room, door flung open and the sun shining in brightly behind her. "Did I make it?" She whispered to herself and glanced at the time. As she stared the big hand past the 12 officially making it two o' clock. The teacher gave a disapproving look but she could add another tarty. Valerie let out a sigh of relief as she made her way to her seat. She slumped into her chair, ignoring the suddenly excited men in the class. She was too tried to control the pheromones that were leaking from her.

One day, she was going to get fire-bringer. That would be the day that marked the last of her tardies and annoying heat rashes.

The number of obscenities as he ran through hallways was astounding. After looking back upon it, he would think that he could have made a good draft on “Best new Obscenity of they Year” awards. At least half of them were aimed at his arch-rival, “Golden Mirage.” And it was that last fight that he was able to truly value her name. He hit her, what, once? Damn ghostly apparition powers, that’s what she has. And the one blow that she did hit him with shattered the bone in his lower left arm. Not his dominant arm, but it still hurt like a fucker. And now he was late for class because he had to let his regeneration fix his arm before going along.

He practically ripped off his costume: The black eye mask with red upper tint, the black-over-red-under cape, And fireproof black pants and shirt. There was enough times that he almost accidentally set himself on fire. He pulled out the black sunglasses and easily slid them onto his face. They were used to keep his beam vision at bay, just so he wouldn’t reveal himself. He half-tucked the white button shirt into his blue jeans, zipped up his backpack, slung it over his shoulder, then dashed towards class, inwardly curing the whole time.

He didn’t see himself as a Villain, more like a Vigilante. As James Wake opened the door to his Speech class, 20 minutes late, he was silent as the teacher was lecturing. He headed to his seat, next to the pretty but bookwormish Valerie East. Nobody questioned his sunglasses, the story about the car accident that took his parents known among the teachers, and the scars that were on his eyes that were not pretty to look at.

He took a deep breath and got a whiff of that familiar scent. Every time he entered this class, he would notice it, but it wasn’t until now that he was able to put his finger on it. She’s Here! He quickly looked around, but didn’t see anyone that looked like her. Sullenly, he turned to face the teacher. It was strong, so she had to be in here right now. But where? Bah, he shoved the thought to the back of his mind. It probably was just the smell of her damn power on him after she so unceremoniously interrupted his business.

"Alright," The teacher held up a stack of papers and split them to the front of each line. The student's obediently followed the drill that they were so accustom to, passing the assignment down till everyone had the sheet in their hand. Valerie skimmed the tittle,'Contemporary Issue: a masked mess?'. The hidden heroine groaned. When we was in her normal clothes she wanted nothing to do with superheros yet everywhere she went it haunted her. She couldn't read a newspaper or teen magazine without getting a full commentary on every little thing she did. Now, even in he classes, she had to deal with weight of being the city role model.

The teacher cleared her throat, with a hack than straightened her back as if standing taller then the students gave her power over them. "I want everyone in class to write about their stance on the super-humans in the city. Good, bad, if they should register with the government, that's all up to you. The paper has to be 7 to 8 minutes long and you will be reading this in front of the class." She turned her back to them briefly to write the due date on the board.

Then again she could always write about Firebringer being a menace to the city and the need to build a prison that could contain such super-human criminals. She scribbled her ideas down in her notebook.

Valerie's nose crinkled. She smelt the not so delicious aroma of burning. She half glanced over at the boy next to her who just walked in. Smoke. She run like a mad woman to get here on time and he was off somewhere puffing cigarettes. Her cute lips twisted into a frown. How annoying it was that some people could have so few cares. She leaned over just slightly. "If you're going to be late smoking you should at least try to cover the smell a little bit." She didn't look at him once, just stared at the board, visually absorbing everything she was writing. "Here." She placed a package of minty gum on his desk.

It was almost a scowl that crossed his face at her words when he sat down. It wasn’t like he actually smoked, it was just a image that he had to hide the fire he was able to shoot out. Smoke was Smoke. Put a little tobacco in it and be near it and you were covered, unable to have people tell the difference. But he still took a piece with a small thank you, chewed it up rather quickly as he stuffed the foil into his pocket just in case. How rude she was, sometimes.

The teacher came around with the papers that they passed out, and he held back the groan as he looked at the assignment. More super hero work. Bah. He simply read the assignment a few times over before he had an idea spark in his mind. Maybe this will be his chance to explain what Fire-Bringer was doing. Was everyone forgetting where he was targeting, just generalizing them as ‘city buildings?’ The challenge was to write it in such a way that he didn’t sound like a one-man Fight Club.

“Sorry I’m so late.” He said in a short voice, as he grabbed a notebook and pencil out, clicking it a few times for lead before starting to quickly scribble things down. “Got into a accident. Wasn’t paying attention and got hit by a car. Wasn’t that bad of a hit, but had to stick around for the police to make a report.”

He finished scribbling down on the notebook before turning to her, continuing a whispered conversation. “So, what are you writing about? Something about how that Golden Girl is a hero to the city and should be given awards and the like? I’m sure everyone is doing that one.”

"Golden mirage is a hero and They've already tried to hold multiple award ceremony for her. You know superheros though. Always wanting to keep on the mysterious side." She shrugged, giving him a little smirk underneath her glasses and messy brown hair. "But, you're right, completely overdone. I'm doing my Paper on Firebringer." Purely because she couldn't take assessing herself and making a speak about her thoughts. Golden mirage was a hero, immune to all the pressure and hardships that the loving people of the city placed upon her. She was their hope. Valerie East was not. She was full of awkward mistakes, rude judgments and other human things that the Golden Mirage could never show. That image of perfection had become a weight that had her struggling to breath. As much as she wanted to protect the people around her, she was growing sick with herself.

Valerie glossed over his appearance. He was a pretty average looking guy, normal clothing, attractive from what she could see around the sunglasses. She talked to him occasionally but only due to the fact that they sat next too each other. Other then her every once and a while, he didn't speak very much. He came off fairly anti-social...what was his name again? It was already three weeks in and she couldn't remember his name. Jacob? John....James? James! That was it! She recalled, feeling slightly victorious.

"So, What are you doing your paper on? How Golden mirage should retire and go into the exciting world of adult films?" She said dryly. It was something Valerie had seen often enough on blogs online. Some people even had the Gall to photoshop her face onto another woman. The superhero had only had sex once in her life, and she regretted it terribly. What it did to her boyfriend was terrifiying that she had to move to a different city. She really hoped that he would recover if she left. It was a scary time, one she wasn't too keen on repeating.

It was as if he expected to hear those words from her. Hell, it wasn’t like the first time he heard them from anyone. Wherever he had went, he would hear snippets of gossip and praise for her ‘saving the city’ or something or other. Hilariously, there was enough guys online that wanted to see her nude that they did fake fanmade sex tapes animated or pictures. It was amusing, to say the least.

“My paper?” He asked, almost as though he went off into his own world for a second, before turning to face her fully. “Oh, I’m doing it on Firebringer, as well. But I doubt that it’s anything like your paper will be. Yours would probably be full of snide comments about how he is a menace to society, how he should be put away, bla bla bla.

“No, I’ve been following what he has been doing for a while now. I find it funny that nobody has seen what I have seen when I see the reports. Look at where he is attacking! Empty Corporate offices late at night, banks, Empty Credit Card offices. Nothing residential. Nothing small. Why would someone that is completely evil at heart target only the big man while leaving the small people unharassed?” He sighed, shaking his head. The truth was that after the realization, he himself didn‘t know why he chose where he hit so hard. And now to make himself not look like a tool in class, he would have to keep that up. “It seems like I’m pulling out at straws, but he must have a reason why he picked those targets instead of going all mass destruction on the city.”

She raised her brow at him. It was the first time she had heard a Firebringer supporter, at least one that she had deemed sane. It was interesting to say the least. "You're right, I never did notice before. But, I mean if he had some kind of objective he should be more clear about them, or at least take less violent approach. Purely based on what you just said he's kinda like a Eco-terrorist. Attacking based on what HE believes to be right. He has no idea the level of harm he is causing. He only believes in his personal mission and disregards the laws that society has made in order to protect itself. If everyone acted like that the world would be a place of chaos. Selfish people like need to be brought to justice." She cringed a little, she was starting to take on her bold and forthright voice of the do good heroine. she recoiled behind her hair, letting the glasses make her look awkward and boring.

"Anyways, I'm look forward to seeing your paper. I'm sure it will be...fascinating. I'm sure you're going to some harassment for your stance on the matter. Nonetheless, I will be looking forward to it." She gave him a little smirk as she wrote down some notes based on what he said. It at least worth looking up. Know your enemy more then you know yourself, or whatever that phrase was.

The teacher began to lecture again and the chatter that had erupted in the short time quickly died down. She quickly flipped past a few costume designs she had in there to find a blank sheet of paper. She gave him one last glance before she returned her attention to the work ahead.

“Who has time to be clear about what their aim is when they’re being harassed by the police and the local super heroine?” He asked, making sure to keep his voice even as to not sound agitated. “And tell me when in history did something big happen that wasn’t instigated or done with violence. Thanksgiving? They forced the Indians under their heel after getting their help. The United States becoming a country? Went through a war. Great Depression? Got through it by a war starting and making a work boom.” He shook his head slowly. “A little destruction to the system can jump start it to do something right, that’s all I’m saying.”

He turned to his notes, started jotting some things down before the teacher started talking again. He listened halfway through, tearing out a corner of it and scribbling something down before passing it down the table to her.

“Thanks for the vote of confidence, though.”

He looked through his notebook, finding the drawings he had done over his own costume, making sure to keep them hidden. The class would be over soon, and he could get out of here for the day.

Throughout the class she would spare an occasional glance his way. Funny, she never noticed him before other then the gloomy guy that sat next to her. Attractive, and surprisingly interesting. It had been awhile since she had a normal conversation with guy. After awaking into her powers and what it did to her boyfriend, she been a little edgy when it came to men. Hell, with her double life as hectic as it was, she didn't even have female friends. It would be nice to have someone to discuss the politics of superheros and villains with a normal citizen. The teacher continued to drone on but Valerie was too busy thinking about how bold she was willing to be. By the time class was over she had already made her decision.

Thinks about her conversation with the one guy. Smiles a little. As they are getting out of class she hands him a piece of paper with her number.

Dashes off before he can say anything to her.

Rides bus home. laments about how unfair it is for the defender of the city to ride a bus due to lack of funds.

Thinks about maybe it is arrogant for her to think solely from a heros side.

hoodie, dark eye makeup, doctor's mask.

Throughout the class she would spare an occasional glance his way. Funny, she never noticed him before other then the gloomy guy that sat next to her. Attractive, and surprisingly interesting. It had been awhile since she had a normal conversation with guy. After awaking into her powers and what it did to her boyfriend, she been a little edgy when it came to men. Hell, with her double life as hectic as it was, she didn't even have female friends. It would be nice to have someone to discuss the politics of superheros and villains with a normal citizen. The teacher continued to drone on but Valerie was too busy thinking about how bold she was willing to be. By the time class was over she had already made her decision.

Class was dismissed and she watched him get up before her and head towards the door. Valerie chased after him. As she pasted she discreetly passed a crumbled, torn piece of notebook paper into his hand. He didn't even have a chance to say anything to her before dashing away. Valerie peaked back at him, with a shy girl's smile, trying to see how he would respond. Then she was gone, off to the mundane bus that would take her to her simple home.

Scribbled on the note was a message:

Hey, if you're ever interested in talking about super-politics some more....or just want to get some coffee together feel free to call me.

Valerie 466-3167

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

How unfair was it that the defender of the city had to ride a bus due to lack of funds.

At home, She found her father curled over the table with a some paper in his hands. His face looked sullen, like his soul had already left the body. She was staring at a Shell. "Dad?"

He looked up at her, his movements painfully slow malfunctioning robot. "I'm Sorry." He said with a dry voice. "Valerie...we don't have any money."

"What?" She walked over and read the paper over her father's shoulders.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was sometime around midnight when got the courage to leave. She stood in front of her credit card company that had lead them to leave that they were financially sound. Now she didn't have money to finish college. They were going to have to move into her grandparents home while her Dad tried to work off the debt he had unknowingly dug himself into.

Valerie was wearing a black hoodie, normal skinny jeans and a pair of boots. Her pretty little face was mostly hidden by a medical mask. It was a quickly thrown together get up but it would be enough to hid her identity if a camera spotted her.

She ran forward, holding the top of her hood till she made contact with the wall. It felt just a little stronger then a breeze as her body slipped through the solid wall into the lobby of the building. She didn't stop there. She took the elevator up to the top floor. Her heart pumped wildly in her chest. she never felt like this when she was fighting crime. Maybe it was the idea of doing something she shouldn't, maybe it was because she was getting revenge for all the hardship the company had caused her family.

Once on the top floor she smashed everything in sight. She threw tables across the room. The enraged super heroine flung a filing cabinet out the window, showering the street below with corrupted papers. "This is for ruining my life!" She screamed out, feeling safe to release her rage alone.

Thank god that the class was over, that the teacher would finally shut up with mundane mumblings and he could finally get something to eat. He had a page and a half of notes, not all on the class and the teacher’s words, but some on the girl right next to him. He kept them hidden even as he put his stuff away in the last minute. He was one of the first ones up and headed to the door, thankful for the upcoming weekend…

Something was pushed into his hand, and he looked down to see the withdrawing hand and the not that was left there. He slowly lifted his hand, unwadding the paper and reading it quickly. He was stunned for a moment, before he looked up, seeing her turn to look at him with a shy smile as she walked off. He smiled for her, something he very rarely did, before tucking the note into his pocket, heading his way out

Was he giddy now? He hardly had a chance to talk to people, having to be evil and all, never the less the accident… His hand went up to his face, rubbing behind the sun glasses. She didn’t seem to be bothered by the stories that circulated around about him. A soft sigh escaped his lips. Even if it had started badly with that golden bitch breaking his arm temporarily, it was a good day.

--------------------------------------

He stood outside the building, feeling rather good about himself for the moment. Inside he was hoping that this would go off without a hitch, considering that his day had went well. He sent in a donation with the increase of the income from stock trades. His parent may be dead, but they left him enough to live alone for a while and pay for college, and his knowledge was making him a steal in stocks. Who said a Super Villain had to be evil all the time?

His outfit felt fitting and right once more, and here was the large headquarters of the credit card company. He was working towards this for a while now, and he knew that this would cause a decent bit of havoc. Just what the world needed at this moment, an upstart to reset the system. Too few people had all the money. He had to shake his head with the thoughts. Him, being noble? No, he just wanted to blow the building to smithereens. He started forward, but froze as he saw someone moving towards the building. It didn’t look like a guard, but there was enough people that would be undercover. But over an empty building?

His interest peaked as the person simply shifted through the wall. What would someone want to do with this place? He moved to the nearest window, seeing them get into the elevator and heading up. He took a guess and flew upwards to the highest office floor. The nearest window was open easily, melting the lock and slipping silently in. He found a nice dark corner and wrapped most of his body with the cloak, becoming a black blob in the darkness, only his eyes behind his mask a different color.

The elevator ding alerted him to the person coming in, and he watched in silence as they went quickly to their work. He shifted once rather quickly as a table came his way, hitting the wall, but he was silent. The rage of the person was nearly unequaled, as her – HER voice! – rang through the nearly-empty room. He stepped from the shadows then, letting his cape open. “That’s some force you have there.” He said, letting his head tilt slightly as he looked at her. There was something about her… but he couldn’t put his finger on it.

“I would let you go on with your rampage, but you are like an amateur. What you’re doing right now? Rather pointless. It would take hardly a day or two for them to recover from this. No, if you want to hurt them, you have to do something much more drastic. This building would easily implode If the supports were broken. But before that, the hum has to be destroyed. Catch where I’m getting at this?”

Valerie wrenched around to see the character she was far too familiar with. Her automatic reaction was attack, after a year of constant fighting...it was already habit. She flung a desk at him as if she were throwing a wad of paper. Again, it just narrowly miss the super villain. Did he know who she was?! Her heart went into overdrive. Valerie determined that he mustn't have figured out who she was...only her eyes were visible and he wouldn't TALK to Golden Mirage if he caught her off guard. she relaxed slightly but kept an eye on him.

"Go away, I don't want to deal with you." Normally she used her righteous super-heroine voice around him but today there was no point. She wasn't a hero today. She wasn't righteous. She was just angry. Valerie's voice annoyed as if he had crashed her one person party. " I don't need a lecture on how to be evil. I just want to trash the place and feel better about myself."

What she was doing was pointless? Her pride grumbled. It was true. Surely they had more then enough money to fix her little inconvenience. Now, looking at it from his view, what she was doing..it was just stupid. Why even bother in the first place? You can't make a real effect. That was the message he planted into her head. It pissed her off. She didn't like () but...this was his thing. He was a pro at destruction.

She like a out a wail as her fist went through the wall next her. The drywall stood no chance against her superhuman fist. A white chalky substance stuck to her black hoody as she pulled her fist free."Fuck you! If you hadn't shown up I would have been able to leave satisfied with this." Valerie approached him, moving slowly... her seething rage partly contained. "Explain what this hum is." He voice was muffled behind the medical mask but her eyes were still Sparkling deadly. "And how I can make this damn building hit ground zero." With those words, the hero of the city resolved her will to commit a unequaled crime. With no one else to stop them, this would easily be the biggest event to happen in the city in the last few decades.

She was being a rather violent bitch, and he wondered if she picked the wrong week to start a career as a villain. He had never seen this woman before, but she seemed familiar… which was quickly moved out of his mind as he dodged another thing thrown at him. She was either hormonal, pissed, or not caring what happened to her. Maybe even all three.

Her senses seemed to come slowly back to her as he talked. Or that may have just been her wish to have something finished instead of just dirtied. “The Human Upload Management machine. It holds all the data of the company from this area. Even if they kept the paperwork here, it would take a long time to get it on the mainframe again. But… They won’t even have that. The basement floor, second floor, and fourth floor have support structures for the building. Taking them down floor by floor will make the building implode. You take care of that, and I’ll get rid of the memory bank.”

It was a moment where he blasted a hole through the floor before he slid down to the third floor, working quickly. The machine was slashed through before being completely melted down. They wouldn’t salvage a thing from it. He headed outside, waiting for her. It was up to her to take the supports down, since she could do it faster. But it was a matter of her getting out afterward that worried him very slightly.

Back
Top Bottom