Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

In regards to display pictures~

Well do you?

• Total voters
Anyone find people who use such methods of personality on their accounts make it easier to talk to them? I don't know about the majority, but I always seem more interested in role-playing and general discussion with people who sport some kind of imagery, whether it be silly, thoughtful, or a simple piece of art.

If not, please indulge me with your reasoning. Mere opinions only, no need for factual evidence or a discussion on some report.​

I find it important even if its a simple icon. It shows that you are wanting to be in the forum community, someone that doesn't get one within a few days of being active to me it says "I don't care if i'm here or not."

I would have to disagree a bit with you there OnScreenTyper, I took a very long while before I found the right display picture for myself, until that moment I kept it blank.

But I will also say that it does give people a bit of an idea on who they are dealing with when it comes to the display picture. I have a few without pictures that still do quite well even if they aren't very active.

But I do find it easier to talk with people who have a picture seeing as it helps me find out if I can use humor, irony or anything that might seem weird.

But if someone has 500 posts and still no avatar it feels wierd and i would be reserved on rping with them. Unless they had an attractive thread or a good game history. I'd say once you get past 20 posts you should have one.

Heh!!

Well, I prefer using pics of myself for my avatars. The way I see it, the best representation of me is indeed me. So.... there you have it. For good or for bad. XD

Ohh... and I will add that I typically do not go by avatar when it comes to choosing who I'll RP with. I look at the person I'm dealing with and how they handle themselves when they interact with me. You come off as immature or as some other trait I deem a negative, more than likely I'll either let you down nicely or distance myself in some way. Of course, sometimes distancing just happens for no reason. But that's beside the point. Mainly, I go by how you carry yourself and what I see when I check over your writing history, etc etc.

Yeah, I don't see how a silly picture has any impact on my ability to write a character or come up with a plotline. I keep no avatar (well, except for Hahvy'a butt that one time) and a minimal sig for aesthetic reasons. Doesn't matter one whit to my ability to RP. Or my ability to post, clearly.

Always nice to have a pic to show. I think something real nice are photos from a real photo shooting. It is a pretty nice idea as a birthday present for friends as well and it doesn't need to be expensive in order to be good. ;)

Mr Master said:
Yeah, I don't see how a silly picture has any impact on my ability to write a character or come up with a plotline. I keep no avatar (well, except for Hahvy'a butt that one time) and a minimal sig for aesthetic reasons. Doesn't matter one whit to my ability to RP. Or my ability to post, clearly.
This. =I

An avatar is definitely not the best way to tell how well a person can RP, but it certainly does make it easier to strike up a conversation. It gives you a little insight as to what they like, and something to start the conversation with.

Lordy.

Well for me Avatars are for recognizability. I'm the trippy one for Butterflies for everything. It makes it easier for me to remember

I find I often don't bother to read names when I recognize an avatar. That's about all it does for me.

I think if someone takes an avatar seriously, and they put some minimal effort into it; it helps people pick them up.
If they have something obviously silly or seductive, it also is a plus for some attention.

I think at most it allows someone to attach a mental persona to someone if that makes any sort of sense.

I appreciate all the input. I by no means am comparing one's skill to a simple choice. I simply find it is more comfortable to strike the initial notions of conversation and role-play with one who has thrown a little bit of their personality into the ring without saying anything. I suppose it makes me feel less like I'm talking to a robot and more of a human being.​

I think a user who has a unique avatar as well as a signature although they don't really have to have a signature just a avatar. It personally makes them seem more like of a real user and not a fake. Also someone who apparently cares about being here on the site and part of the community.

I like to use images of myself(duh, Ville Fucking Valo). And ones that make Takoda happy. I do try to keep it holiday related if needed though.

I think avatars help me quite a bit. I tend to avoid the people who have animu pictures. Which to me is an anime picture that could really only be described as 'sanitized'.

I have learned that I don't really tend to like the types of people who use those pictures. So I just avoid them.

Back
Top Bottom