Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Wild Chances (Me and UrbanFox)

Katherine's old Buick had died last week, but her neighbor and dear friend had offered to drop her off at the housewarming party. Carl pulled up in front of the house, there nothing romantic going on between them, he was close to her father's age, ever since she moved into the apartment next to his he's treated her as if she were one of his daughters. She'd told him not to worry about her, that she would find another ride home, but as she walked towards the party, he stuck his head out of the window and yelled, "Kat, call me!" Causing some of the guests talking on the porch to turn and look.

Seeing the looks on their faces, Kat knew exactly what they were thinking. They probably wouldn't believe her if she told them that he's just her neighbor, so she waste her time trying. Turning around she smiled and waved at Carl, and watched as his truck pulled away. That was only a little embarrassing.

She was wearing a short black sleeveless dress that showed off her legs, her dark brown hair, longer now, was loose and cascaded down her back in silky waves. Her heels echoed off the sidewalk. Under her arm she had her housewarming gift, a painting of the old gang together. Her and Dante, Freddy and Amanda, Trish and David. They were so close in high school. At least she didn't have to worry about running into Dante at the housewarming party. They told her that he wasn't able to make it.

Before Katherine could knock on the door it opened and she heard a familiar voice tell her to get inside.

The party had only been going on for a few hours, but already people where getting to the rowdy stage, A few bottles had been broken, one vase and the unofficial make out spot bas the dark end of the garden, but Dante didn't care one bit, It was good to be amongst old and true friends again.

Dante had spent the last two months away from them, slightly hesitant of meeting them all again, But David had called him up last night, telling him that it was all in the past, and that the old gang would be there, apart from Kat, who said she couldn't make it. He jumped at the chance to see them all again, But in a way he wanted to see Kat again, She was probably still mad at him, But he couldn't help having a protective feeling for her.

"Nice place David." Dante said as he kept an eye out the front window, The more unsavoury characters of the party had decided to hang out on the porch and Amanda was still expected to arrive. He knew Kat was here even before he saw her face, He could tell by her ankles as they stepped out the car. He narrowed his vision as he saw and old geezer who looked like he was pushing 40 stick his head out of the car window and told her to call her. Dante bushed past a few people, hurrying for the front door. He burst it open and muttered 'Get in.' The Dog tag with 'forever' carved into it glinting in the setting sun.

Dante had always been too protective of her, it was his familiar voice that had ordered her inside. He didn't sound at all happy with her. She stepped inside and stood directly in front of him. "Where do you get off ordering me inside like that? And what are you doing here anyway, they told me you couldn't make it."

Damn, he looks better now than he did two years ago. Why couldn't he have gotten fat or bald?

Her eyes fell on the pendant she'd given him a long time ago, she was surprised he still had it. She just assumed that he would have thrown it away after he'd broken up with her. But there it was. She didn't know how to feel about that, so she pretended not to notice.

Dante leaned around her and firmly shut the door behind her. the resounding click ringing in his ears "The people outside aren't as nice as the people in here." He said, looking out the window as Carl drove round the distant corner. Sugar Daddy he though to himself, pushing images of her and him together out of his mind. "They may not have been that accepting with you and your new premium vintage hunk of a man." Dante muttered, a little resentment in his voice.

He glanced over to David, who was sipping a beer and talking to Trish, pretending not to see them. He let out a sigh and looked Katherine in the eyes for the first time in two months. "They told me something similar, looks like we are part of a set up." He said, nervously laughing to himself.

"Sorry, I was a little resentful, I hope you and your new guy are happy together. But for what it's worth, you look great." Dante said, offering a small smile as means for a silent apology.

He thinks Carl and I are an item? The thought of her and Carl being together in the way he obviously thought they were made her feel sick to her stomach. Carl was a great guy, but having sex with him would be like having sex with her father. Not something she wanted to do, ever.

"Hey, Carl happens to be a great guy. Not that it's any of your business. You broke up with me, remember?"

Still holding the painting under her arm, she looked away from him, towards David and Trish. She shook her head and smiled hearing Dante tell her that they'd told him something similar. "Looks like you're right," she replied, sounding just as nervous as him. She should have known they would pull something like this. They'd been trying to get her and Dante in the same room together for a while now.

He was a little resentful? Why? Wait.. was he jealous? She didn't understand, why should he be resentful.. over her and Carl. He made it clear that he thought they didn't belong together.

"Thank you, so do you." Katherine smiled back, silently accepting his apology. "For what it's worth, I'm sorry too. Listen, Carl isn't my new guy. My car died and he dropped me off."

Back
Top Bottom