Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Blue Moon Leadership Discussion

Alex said:
Sweety, I'm just going to put this out there; as of right now, I don't think you're moderator material. I'm sure you're a great person and all, so don't get me wrong. I just can't see you as being a moderator as of yet, mainly because I've yet to see qualities that make a good one. You seem bubbly and nice, but I don't personally think you could take down the bulls by the horns.

Then again, this all could be because you're new and I've yet to see your full personality. Before you're even considered being a moderator, it'd be nice to have you here for more than a month. I'd like to see someone who is gunning for any type of staff position of a forum/site having a little more interest in trying to help contribute to the forum/site in whole, rather than go straight for a said position. I'm not talking about donating, but I want a moderator/admin to have a genuine love for the forum/site before they try to get any sort of power.

But this is just my humble opinion. Like I said, you seem like a nice person. So please don't take this offensively.

Aaaaawwwwweeeee thanks, I really appreciate the kindness and the way you took the time to express that... I did want to mention to you that I was raised with very strict manners so I always prefer to present myself in the best light possible. Showing your gritty side doesn't produce any positive products in the general conduct of day to day activities. And your are absolutely correct, I haven't been here that long. So, that is a factor that might need to be weighed in. But I, again do have a great deal of mod experience. But aside from anything here, on a personal note, I am a mom of 4, my oldest being severely severely mentally ill. Trust me, because I choose to walk a peaceful path is deceptive to my strength and abilities to hand physical and emotional combat in any shape or form or make appropriate, tough decisions. As a moderator, you have to walk a line of making people feel welcomed and warm the way D.A. does... but like she, from experience can wrestle any bull down, no matter the circumstances. But being power hungry or throwing your weight around showing how strong you are isn't the point of a moderator. A moderator..moderates... meaning must have experience and a clear mind to make appropriate decisions for what is best for all parties concerned and to have a sense of team work, genuine love for the site and the desire to fulfill your duties. Any single parent of 4, putting themselves through college, mastering several systems of martial arts and working in a big cat sanctuary can tell you that. Thank you though and no matter what...what is best for here simply is..and Ves will make those hard choices on his own and with the help of his team. There are many great people here that have a lot to offer this site personally, so whether I or any one is chosen, I know it is what is best for Blue Moon.:D There are a few here I would even vote for my self:D My ego is not what is at stake here but what is best for the community. Thank you again:D

Oh and Ves, thanks for clarifying the responsibilities as a mod. :D

By Ves: request, an explanation of moderator duties:

Moderators are essentially present to curtail spammers and other disruptive behavior, such as someone spazzing in the shoutbox or otherwise trying to disrupt the activities of people here. It's not very technically demanding (unless that's what you're applying to do), I just want to get as close to 24-hour coverage as possible. So people from non-American time zones or odd schedules will have some priority.

This won't be quite as necessary for people handling the technical end of things, but before I put up general critique posts I will be filtering for activity. Number of days you've posted in the past few months, or some similar metric. Come tomorrow or so I'll run those stats, prune the stragglers (this is not an exercise to humiliate people, sheesh), and then post critique request threads for everyone.

December will see a new moderator staff.

If people feel that a given forum could use an independent moderator for some other reason, the activity standards could be lowered, I suppose, but Takoda still has her moderatorship there and I'm not aware of any other critical 'need' to be filled. Feel free to enlighten me if this is not the case.

I'm with Hahvy in having new moderators that have a limited scope. Seems like a good way to divide up the work load between multiple people without, as DA said, having too many cooks in the kitchen.

On another note, mainly addressed to WT: you have a bunch of delightful qualities and interesting life experience but are a relative newcomer. I, personally, want someone I can know and think about how they would handle power. I do not know if you or a variety of other people mentioned in this board would power trip. I am most unaware of what your personality is like.

I don't know what you're like on a bad day. I know what Misan is like on a bad day. I know what Nihil is like on a bad day. I don't know what happens when you get angry or even if you get angry--Misan gets funny and Nihil, honestly, doesn't display a whole lot of emotional range. He's a pretty calm guy. They're also pretty regularly on. What I like most about the two of them is that neither of them, really, are trying to sell it. It's like that old saying, "People who seek power the most rabidly are the least well-suited to have it." Have you noticed that both have essentially been like, "I may not know what the fuck I'm doing, but I'll at least try." That rings more true to me than, "I've been a moderator at x amount of forums for y amount of years and I have z life experience to show I can handle authority."

Plus, together, as a moderating team it'd be Nihilistic Love or Misanthropic Impact. What isn't fun about that?

Zombies Galore said:
I'm with Hahvy in having new moderators that have a limited scope. Seems like a good way to divide up the work load between multiple people without, as DA said, having too many cooks in the kitchen.

On another note, mainly addressed to WT: you have a bunch of delightful qualities and interesting life experience but are a relative newcomer. I, personally, want someone I can know and think about how they would handle power. I do not know if you or a variety of other people mentioned in this board would power trip. I am most unaware of what your personality is like.

I don't know what you're like on a bad day. I know what Misan is like on a bad day. I know what Nihil is like on a bad day. I don't know what happens when you get angry or even if you get angry--Misan gets funny and Nihil, honestly, doesn't display a whole lot of emotional range. He's a pretty calm guy. They're also pretty regularly on. What I like most about the two of them is that neither of them, really, are trying to sell it. It's like that old saying, "People who seek power the most rabidly are the least well-suited to have it." Have you noticed that both have essentially been like, "I may not know what the fuck I'm doing, but I'll at least try." That rings more true to me than, "I've been a moderator at x amount of forums for y amount of years and I have z life experience to show I can handle authority."

Plus, together, as a moderating team it'd be Nihilistic Love or Misanthropic Impact. What isn't fun about that?

ok... fair enough...no you haven't seen me on a bad day, but I don't also allow my moods to influence my decisions either. I appreciate you expressing your concerns and I have thrown my towel/hat 1 once, the other posts were simple, logical responses or responses to other people I know that I dearly enjoy and would also make a good mod. And I do know what I am doing and am capable of, though each site is different. As such, each needs to be handled differently. I agree with you on many points, and this also is a response to your inquiry, not a silly selling agent. All that matters is what is best for the forum, what all the members think and Ves. I don't mean in any way to be coming off as if I am petitioning hard for a political campaign. I have added my experience to my resume for the application. That is all, but again, many others would also make great, fun mods.... I just would like this to be easy and smooth for all concerned as much as possible, no matter whom is selected. I will back up and support anyone that is chosen.

I simply offered my help, if I can be of any and I am not partial to whether the position is selected for another awesome member of this community or myself. Again, in response, thank you for expressing your reasonable concerns. :D

November[S n o w] said:
Sectional mods sound interesting.~

Too lazy to count where I am on the top 100 list~ XD

Bless your heart.. based on posts, from what I can see, your at #6 yeaaaaa!!! good for you:D

Hmm, no. 15 in the top 100 and no. 2 on the shorter list before that (even though I have no idea what that one is >.>). I had no idea I was even in the top 100 much less the top 25. :D

And on a side note, congrats to DA, the perfect person for the job!

It's how many days in the past 13 weeks you've posted on the forums.

Blue Moon is more PM and chat focused than Elliquiy is (Blue Moon actually has a higher rate of PMs than E does most of the time) but it's still a measure of visibility.

Vekseid said:
It's how many days in the past 13 weeks you've posted on the forums.

Blue Moon is more PM and chat focused than Elliquiy is (Blue Moon actually has a higher rate of PMs than E does most of the time) but it's still a measure of visibility.

u can see our pm actvity?????:-O *runs and hides in the corner*

WhiteTiger said:
u can see our pm actvity?????:-O *runs and hides in the corner*

Unless there is a report of some kind, I just aggregate data. Between all of my sites there is an average of three private messages per minute.

actually, I only write for the board and pm to organize some rps and to chat with friends lmao so its no big deal either way.. I was just playing but it is good to know for those that do communicate rps through pms :D

Huh. 16. Well, I do log in just about daily, with a few exceptions. Weekends can be iffy. It's more the amount of time I spend here that varies a great deal.

Question: if DA is the day to day lead admin, and the moderators are kind of assisting her with general duties, would it be warranted for them to refer to themselves as "Assistant DAs," or is that too police procedural TV show of a thing?

"Oh, you'll have to bring that up with Assistant D.A. Misanthropic Love; he's the one handling that case."

Back
Top Bottom