Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Blue Moon Leadership Discussion

I can agree with Hahvy's logic here, since I was booted out of the mod team due to the fact I was not as active as I should've been. Most of that was my own fault though, since a matter of a bill that wasn't paid led to me being disconnected from the internet for about two whole months before I got back on again. I understood it then, for that's how the ball bounces in this business. You don't show up to do your job for unexplained reasons, then out the door you go with a bootprint where the sun don't shine.

But seriously though, we already know this isn't a popularity contest and this ain't the general election. It's basically like applying for a management position for a high profile company somewhere in a big city. Either you step up to the plate like you're supposed to and do your damn job or - pardon me for sounding unceremonious about it, but this is to prove a point - you can GTFO.

That being said, I would still vouch for DA. Besides, with the right coaching, she'd be a top-notch admin.

By request, an explanation of moderator duties:

Moderators are essentially present to curtail spammers and other disruptive behavior, such as someone spazzing in the shoutbox or otherwise trying to disrupt the activities of people here. It's not very technically demanding (unless that's what you're applying to do), I just want to get as close to 24-hour coverage as possible. So people from non-American time zones or odd schedules will have some priority.

This won't be quite as necessary for people handling the technical end of things, but before I put up general critique posts I will be filtering for activity. Number of days you've posted in the past few months, or some similar metric. Come tomorrow or so I'll run those stats, prune the stragglers (this is not an exercise to humiliate people, sheesh), and then post critique request threads for everyone.

December will see a new moderator staff.

If people feel that a given forum could use an independent moderator for some other reason, the activity standards could be lowered, I suppose, but Takoda still has her moderatorship there and I'm not aware of any other critical 'need' to be filled. Feel free to enlighten me if this is not the case.

I'm reading through this and feel like I should just say something on these issues. Haven't been here as long as some, and no I post PM wise instead of boards but still I know the majority of folks putting themselves on the chopping block. Got to say that I don't feel I can trust them to do the job itself.

Now before someone gets their panties in a bunch let me say why. The job would call for a lack of favoritism. Most folks on the list can not claim that distinction. True, have to know a person to show confidence enough to vote for them. Still some of you who are saying 'vote this person or that' or 'I can do the job' have shown serious lack of maturity when it comes to treating ALL folks the same.

I can only speak from what I have seen. I can say without a doubt that DA would do a wonderful job once she got in the swing of things. Very compartmentalized, fast learner, and can take a few hits to the ego without blowing her top.

Snow I have never had the pleasure of meeting digitally face to face with, but has done a damn fine job in the greeting arena that I have witnessed as of late.. So could probably handle more responsibility.

The rest? Either don't know them well enough to say, would be neutral about, or plain out know personally through their activities on the board and chat and would have to say not a chance in hell over. Seen what some are capable of verbally here and frankly? A few on the list are just hateful piss ants that think time spent alone gives them power enough to abuse folks/rules as they see fit while letting those that kiss ass or befriend them get away with murder.

Not sayin I don't have a temper or that I have the knowledge to delegate squat. Just my two cents worth is all. Love the site and hope that whomever is chosen can do the job right to begin with or learn fast.

From the perspective of someone who's pretty new to the forum, I would say that of all the candidates mentioned here DA is by far the most qualified to continue/take on or take over a leadership role. She's always around, demonstrates a remarkable degree of poise, maturity and grace under fire, and she treats everyone fairly.

This isn't about adminship. Sheesh. DA has accepted that role, Pretty has accepted DA taking that role, most of the membership is fine with her, she's an active, warm and outgoing woman.

In case that somehow does not compute:

Yes, Darkangel76 will be the next head admin. And the only admin aside from myself. This topic is about choosing a moderator team.

Please keep it to that.

Thanks.

I wouldn't mind seeing Misan as a moderator.

Not really going to add anything else, since people have already said what is on my mind.

Vekseid said:
This isn't about adminship. Sheesh. DA has accepted that role, Pretty has accepted DA taking that role, most of the membership is fine with her, she's an active, warm and outgoing woman.

In case that somehow does not compute:

Yes, Darkangel76 will be the next head admin. And the only admin aside from myself. This topic is about choosing a moderator team.

Please keep it to that.

Thanks.

Sorry, I had no idea a decision had been made (did I scroll through this thread too fast?), and I didn't want to make any assumptions about what leadership role she might have in the future.

People are tossing about the idea of sectional moderators. Honestly, I don't really think it's needed. At least not at this point. Open RP needs one and has one since it would be quite an undertaking to mod both that and everywhere else (and YAY Vega for taking that on!). And as far as any other sections go? I don't see it, except maybe (and I say maybe) Group RP. If there is a small handful of mods, that should be enough to cover duties, in my honest opinion. Too many unnecessary mods can mean disaster down the line. Kind of like too many cooks in the kitchen. That's my two cents worth on that idea, at least at the present.

I'd also like to back Hahvy on a few key points she brought up. Not sure if now is the time, but I'll save specifics for specific people later on when their threads are up. I do agree that people who have been recently inactive would be a strange consideration. I definitely don't think this should be a popularity contest, but at the same time, inactivity to me means that you may have cyclical rising and waning interest. That's fine, but not for a mod team member. Even if you'd be kickass as a mod, I don't think this is a good idea. Only if all other candidates don't fit the bill, would I venture there. Again, my two cents worth.

• Okay~
          Where to start? Where to start?

I know I've been absent from BlueMoon for a long while now, but I'd planned on coming back with a vengence once I got my new laptop this Black Friday. Vek and I have talked about it, and I'll not being stepping back in as an admin. Even with a new laptop there's no garentee that with my hours I'll be able to provide the time that this site deserves. However, as the original creator of Bluemoon, I'd at least like to stay a mod and have the final say in admin appointments.

I back up Nihili and Misan for moderators as well. They've both dedicated a lot of time to the site and both are pretty well known, and well liked. Both are intelligent and strong-willed, which I like the staff to have.

As for admins, I cast my vote for DA stepping up to the plate. She's fair, kind, and loved by the majority of BlueMoon.

And that's all I have to say before I go pass the hell out. Night folks.

~Pretty

When I said sectional mods- I meant only a few. Such as making Novi the moderator for Introductions/ whatever section that thread happens to be in -can't remember off the top of my head.

Someone to do the RP sections: moving threads, keeping comment content civil, getting rid of spam. (Tako is already OR, so I'm not including that)

And then I guess an OOC moderator.

So it would narrow it down to three candidates. When I said sectional moderating I said it because some of the people who potentially would make good mods might not have enough time to moderate the entire site - but be able to do so if necessary when they are on and it was required.

Just making suggestions. They obviously don't have to be taken seriously or used.

Ahhh.... I get you, Hahvy! That makes much more sense when placed that way. That actually might have possibilities, in my opinion. I guess the big thing there would then be, do you limit the mod to their appointed section or not. Something to think about.

*hug Pretty*
I <3 you, lady!

Glad to hear DA will be taking over.

I also think MM would be a fantastic moderator. I'm surprised nobody else has floated his name.

I've read a lot of great thoughts and opinions and ideas through out the past few days. :D On a side note: just because someone isn't necessarily posting doesn't negate their activity. It may simply be, though ever present and watchful, they haven't been physically found to be posting because they may not have found the right connection with the right rp partner for the time being. Scanning all the boards and seeing what everyone is up to is also a good way of showing activity, but may not register as such. May you choose the best people for the job and the stress of this time passes easily and quickly. I loved hearing everyone's thoughts as a community and am glad in any way, even as just a member to be a part of this place. :D

After giving this some thought, I'm going to toss my hat in the ring for a moderator position. I've been an active member of BMR since December 2009 though I've been scarce this month for a variety of reasons. I believe I can dedicate the time needed for it since things have settled down and I'm back to posting (and, if chosen, it was determined that I couldn't, I'd gladly step down to make way for someone else). I have no prior mod experience but I think I could do a good job at it and would like to help the site grow.

Either way - mod or not - I'd love to help the site in any way I could. This was my first introduction to forum role playing and I love it here. I'd like to see it grow and prosper.

I'm touched that someone thought of me! Thanks, Seraph! And I appreciate the nice words, D-squared.

Nihil's right, my primary computer is dead (for the moment), my borrowed backup is woefully slow, and honestly, my hours are not what they could be. When the automated netnanny at work cut off my access, that really but a crimp on my presence around here. Real life has a way of rearing its ugly head.

So while I could do the (non-technical) job, and I have the willingness (and the love for the place), I must be honest and admit I'm not sure I can put in the required time. I would like to, understand, and my interest in BMR has not waned, but recent schedules have not been cooperative, and I cannot guarantee the future.

I'm honored to be considered, and if among those tapped for the position, I'd serve as best I could. And a little responsibility might stimulate my schedule a bit, I don't know, I've never been given responsibility on a site before. But it would be irresponsible of me not to admit my (current) primary limitation.

MM, if you had more time for it and a working computer I would support you in being Mod.

Hell at this point I don't even know if I have the time to be a Mod and I'm almost always here.

terken said:
Sorry, I had no idea a decision had been made (did I scroll through this thread too fast?), and I didn't want to make any assumptions about what leadership role she might have in the future.

I hadn't talked to DA about the possibility when I started this thread, or with Pretty, or had a survey of members.

The original intent was that, after people declared candidacy for modhood, would promote those most obviously best suited, and among those, have a public discussion for adminship, with DA being a favorite. But it's pretty clear that latter discussion doesn't need to take place. Still going to have the public critiques of potential moderators.

DareToDream said:
After giving this some thought, I'm going to toss my hat in the ring for a moderator position. I've been an active member of BMR since December 2009 though I've been scarce this month for a variety of reasons. I believe I can dedicate the time needed for it since things have settled down and I'm back to posting (and, if chosen, it was determined that I couldn't, I'd gladly step down to make way for someone else). I have no prior mod experience but I think I could do a good job at it and would like to help the site grow.

Either way - mod or not - I'd love to help the site in any way I could. This was my first introduction to forum role playing and I love it here. I'd like to see it grow and prosper.

I would support you and back you up any way Riki Tiki :D

and the same for you M. M. :D

WhiteTiger said:
I've read a lot of great thoughts and opinions and ideas through out the past few days. :D On a side note: just because someone isn't necessarily posting doesn't negate their activity. It may simply be, though ever present and watchful, they haven't been physically found to be posting because they may not have found the right connection with the right rp partner for the time being. Scanning all the boards and seeing what everyone is up to is also a good way of showing activity, but may not register as such. May you choose the best people for the job and the stress of this time passes easily and quickly. I loved hearing everyone's thoughts as a community and am glad in any way, even as just a member to be a part of this place. :D

Sweety, I'm just going to put this out there; as of right now, I don't think you're moderator material. I'm sure you're a great person and all, so don't get me wrong. I just can't see you as being a moderator as of yet, mainly because I've yet to see qualities that make a good one. You seem bubbly and nice, but I don't personally think you could take down the bulls by the horns.

Then again, this all could be because you're new and I've yet to see your full personality. Before you're even considered being a moderator, it'd be nice to have you here for more than a month. I'd like to see someone who is gunning for any type of staff position of a forum/site having a little more interest in trying to help contribute to the forum/site in whole, rather than go straight for a said position. I'm not talking about donating, but I want a moderator/admin to have a genuine love for the forum/site before they try to get any sort of power.

But this is just my humble opinion. Like I said, you seem like a nice person. So please don't take this offensively.

select u.username, COUNT(DISTINCT(CAST(p.dateline/86400 AS UNSIGNED))) AS three_month from mybb_posts AS p, mybb_users AS u WHERE u.uid=p.uid AND p.dateline > (UNIX_TIMESTAMP() - 7862400) AND p.uid IN (3,4,7,117,252,769,1126,2005,2638,2882,4129,4266,5379) GROUP BY p.uid ORDER BY three_month DESC;

+-------------------+-------------+
| username | three_month |
| darkangel76 | 84 |
| Scotty Rage | 72 |
| Pistol Kiss | 50 |
| kikora | 42 |
| Misanthropiclove | 38 |
| November[S n o w] | 34 |
| WhiteTiger | 30 |
| Vekseid | 24 |
| DareToDream | 17 |
| prettylykSIN | 11 |
| LunaTick | 7 |
| Lawless | 3 |
| Alvis Alendran | 1 |
13 rows in set (0.03 sec)

The number on the right is (roughly) the number of separate days the member in question has posted on in the past three months.

For the curious, here is the top 100. Alternately: "Gee, Candira, you missed a WHOLE DAY!?"

If someone on this list is worried they aren't active enough, obviously they may want to consider that feeling.

+------------------------+-------------+
| username | three_month |
| Candira | 90 |
| Sweet Angel Jocelyn | 88 |
| TakodaVega | 86 |
| darkangel76 | 84 |
| Friend in the shadows | 81 |
| Jugger82 | 81 |
| nothingbutporcelain | 81 |
| H a r r i e t | 80 |
| --+Hahvoc Requiem+-- | 78 |
| shuyinice | 77 |
| RobBase086 | 77 |
| The_Fifth_Master | 77 |
| Finnaholic | 76 |
| ffgamer19 | 72 |
| Scotty Rage | 72 |
| Mr Master | 71 |
| Ryanmo97 | 68 |
| Vixen_Mistress | 68 |
| runawayninja | 68 |
| Anansi | 67 |
| Lustfull_Sin | 66 |
| butterfly0408 | 65 |
| Nihilistic_Impact | 65 |
| Ghostxtiger | 65 |
| Tyr | 65 |
| Russian Vodka | 64 |
| Nadie | 64 |
| Kolath | 62 |
| Zalvek | 62 |
| TidalYuri | 62 |
| Crackle Irondust | 61 |
| torridsoul | 61 |
| Hat-tori | 61 |
| Gemini_Darkthorne18 | 60 |
| Lucian Luna | 57 |
| Killdozer | 57 |
| Silver117 | 57 |
| Zennarion | 57 |
| Zombies Galore | 56 |
| vampire07 | 56 |
| BlisteredBlood | 56 |
| Devxx | 56 |
| missedstations | 56 |
| flassche | 56 |
| alzayin2099 | 55 |
| Decadence | 53 |
| nightsorceress | 53 |
| reduction | 53 |
| Sex_Machine | 53 |
| katie marie | 52 |
| NightDagger | 51 |
| Kanna | 51 |
| Pistol Kiss | 50 |
| Krad_Nogard | 50 |
| DarknessEmbraced666 | 50 |
| Seraph Nicholas | 50 |
| Zabrian | 49 |
| Quietman | 49 |
| Rawr Kitten | 48 |
| Dampylle | 47 |
| Waffles | 47 |
| Heart Summers | 46 |
| Fancy_Brat | 46 |
| Yenpointfive | 46 |
| Openots | 46 |
| Google | 45 |
| candycoatedkarma | 45 |
| Relix | 45 |
| XxMoonlightRomancexX | 45 |
| angelduskgirlcat | 43 |
| Omerta | 43 |
| eragon8864 | 43 |
| Peekaboo | 42 |
| kikora | 42 |
| Legends | 41 |
| Loveme | 41 |
| Chuckeles | 41 |
| Ibuki No Sakura | 40 |
| Chokuro | 40 |
| Osamu Oboro | 39 |
| CutePhoenix | 39 |
| Shovel | 38 |
| psychobilly-night | 38 |
| Misanthropiclove | 38 |
| punkjello | 38 |
| ChocolateStrawberry | 38 |
| PadanFain | 37 |
| TheDuchess | 37 |
| Akatala | 36 |
| Biles | 35 |
| ABagOVicodin | 35 |
| Nothing_Is_As_It_Seems | 35 |
| November[S n o w] | 34 |
| Schezwan.Beefy | 34 |
| Temp | 34 |
| reanimator | 34 |
| TheDarkerMe | 34 |
| 3ngag3 | 34 |
| TheyDontKnowIBurn | 33 |
| hiddenvet | 33 |
100 rows in set (0.82 sec)

Really? I'm in the top 5 of the top 100? Interesting.

I mean I'd be willing to be a Global Mod only if others think as much. If it's needed - it's needed. For now though I'll just stick with Open RP.

Back
Top Bottom