Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Who have you convinced to vote today?

Nice Post!

My absentee ballot is being processed. If you don't make the effort to vote, then no one should make the effort to hear you complain.

Part of our issue is that we've enshrined the founding fathers into a mythology all of their own, so it becomes difficult to make changes.

Nihilistic_Impact said:
Part of our issue is that we've enshrined the founding fathers into a mythology all of their own, so it becomes difficult to make changes.

I tend to agree, despite my reference earlier. People seem to forget these were practical men, who knew how to compromise and work together despite their differences. If you look at the Federalist papers, they also knew big business and the privileged were the biggest dangers the nation was going to face. And they were right.

People invoke the founding fathers to justify any kind of reactionary, backwards-thinking traditionalist rejection of anything new and threatening, which conveniently forgets that those men became famous because they created something that was new and threatening at the time, visionary for its era, and, better yet, intended to make it flexible and able to be altered as society progressed.

Their flaw was in thinking that everybody was going to actually change and grow they way they tried to.

Back
Top Bottom