Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Mission Codename: Cannon Fodder (BlisteredBlood & Devxx)

Eris took the next exit where the traffic thinned out and there would be less chance of her running someone off the road. She pressed down on the gas pedal and sped well past the few cars in front of her. The signs on the side of the road clearly stated a 60 mph speed limit though her speedometer was reading 90. The black car swerved this way and that as she continued to pass by other vehicles in a frenzy. The trip itself would take at least a full day but the sooner she got there the better. Thanatos would figure out just what was going on eventually and she had no intention of being in an enclosed space with him when he did.

"See, now aren't you glad you didn't kill me?" Eris said as she grinned at him. The hostility from last night was gone and instead it was replaced with a much more friendly nature. Whether it was actually genuine or not was anyone's guess but if she was going to get close to the man she was going to have to be nice. The blond doubted that many of his assassins had been nice when trying to kill him so maybe this change of attitude would throw him off his game a bit.

"Penny for your thoughts?" She asked as she made a hard turn left onto another exit. He was definitely thinking about what was going on and the more she knew the better. Maybe he had seen through the whole ruse and was just biding his time until he found a perfect opportunity to carry out his threats. Though so far she hadn't let anything slip so she couldn't figure out how he would know any different. As far as he knew she was just another assassin who had decided to take an opportunity to make herself richer.

Her cellphone rang again and for a second her blue eyes widened in fear but quickly it was replaced as she calmly took it out of her pocket and answered it. "Yes. Ok. Bye." Was all that could be heard from her side of the conversation as she quickly turned off the phone before slipping it back in her pocket. Her expression was as calm and friendly as it had been before but her knuckles were white as she gripped the steering wheel tightly.

Thanatos maintained his silence even as the blonde assassin was clearly speeding through the highway at a frenzied pace. This wasn't exactly new to him, for he had seen his fair share of high speed pursuits. Most of which was done all in training missions, but it was all the same to him regardless.

When he was asked if he was glad that he didn't kill her, Thanatos still said nothing, but instead offered a stoic shrug. He wasn't exactly buying into the whole "friendly" act she was throwing his way, for he still had his doubts about this whole plan of hers. Even if he did follow through on his end and made the plunge off a 108-story - roughly about a 1500 foot drop, to be more precise - and crash into the river below, there was still some major doubts in his mind. How would she know it would all work and if it did, would it be enough to not only put the kibosh into further search efforts?

When she asked him about what he was thinking, Thanatos only shook his head before he finally spoke. "Nothing you would wanna know." He answered in the same stoic manner as he then glanced out the window once more. Furthermore, the fact alone that she was "trying to protect him" also bothered him a great deal. For all he knew, it was more than likely that this was all just a set up and she was looking to cash in on the big reward offered for his head.

When her cellphone rang, Thanatos glanced over to Eris and listened to her three replies and nothing more as she placed it back into her pocket. The way her face looked seeme das though everything was just fine and all that, but the way her hands were gripping onto the steering wheel made him a little bit leery. "How about you?" He asked. "You look like there's something bothering you."

"Hm? Nope, just my mom wondering why I haven't called her lately. You know how parents are." Eris said with a cheery smile as she looked over at Thanatos. That was a lie but then again so was everything else she told him. The only thing she had really been truthful about was her name and even that wasn't the name she was born with. When you did the kind of work she did the lines between reality and fiction became incredibly blurred and at times it was difficult to tell just what was the truth and what was a lie. The man in the seat next to her had no idea just how valuable he was and how many people were interested in him for more then just the reward money.

"So why the katana?" She asked as she gestured towards the sheath. "You were a high end military project, couldn't they have given you a better weapon?" It was such an old sword and one that was difficult to master as well. Wouldn't it have made more sense if they simply gave him a machine gun and told him to have at? Her own Saber had taken years to learn and she still wasn't a master considering half the time she had to rely on her gun to do the dirty work. Swords were very tricky and you could easily end up hurting yourself if you weren't careful. Not to mention you had to get in closer quarters with an enemy as opposed to a gun which you could shoot from long range.

Eris caught sight of a police car in her rear view window and slowed down considerably. Right now would probably be the worst time to get caught and it would end up with an annoying amount of questions. The car itself was stolen and he was a fugitive from the law. No doubt the police who she had talked to yesterday had run a background check on her and found out that she didn't work for the FBI so her description would also be plastered everywhere.

The same eyebrow was arched at her when she gave him the reply. He hadn't known anything about his parents save for the fact that the only family he knew was a group of soldiers that were much like him in some regard or another. The fact that she virtually lied to him right on the spot didn't seem to make matters any better for her considering that her face was still was as friendly as ever. The only reaction she would receive from him was a shake of his head and a frown. "No, I don't know how parents can be." He answered in a mostly chastising manner of voice.

"As for the katana," Thanatos added as he glanced over to the weapon of choice. "I've always had a thing for swords of this caliber, so I decided to make this one for myself. Even though I also went through firearms training where I was made, I still often preferred the use of this and even perfected my own style with it, despite no one's been able to give it a decisive name." He said before lifting the weapon up and held it out in front of him for a short while as he looked it over from the top if the hilt to the bottom of the sheath. "Honed to a razor's edge and made from the highest military grade steel available, this katana of mine has shown me more and more of what it could do through simple tweaks as I grew stronger and faster. Now that I am that much more skilled with this katana, it was deemed a nightmare to defend against, for just when you think you are able to do so, I could send it cleanly through you and you wouldn't even know it up until I told you that you were already dead." He explained before he lowered it and rested it on his lap. "Though I have also unlocked a series of moves that made me much more dangerous than anyone could've anticipated. " He added before he gave a little chuckle. "Perhaps that was why they had feared and wanted to get rid of me." He concluded before he leaned back into the passenger seat and gave an audible sigh of sorts.

"Sadly, that's all I got to say about it." He said one last time as he closed his eyes in thought.

"Lucky you." Eris muttered as her eyes went back on the road. For a second there was a scowl as she thought about parents before it was gone and replaced by a smile. Life was a lot easier if you learned early on that there were very few people you could depend on regardless of blood relations or not. In the long run it didn't mater if you shared blood because that wouldn't stop people from doing anything to get what they wanted.

Eris nodded as she listened to him explain why he chose his weapon. If he had managed to create his own style of fighting that made him all the more dangerous and the more rare. Sure they feared him and that was part of the reason why they wanted him gone but it wasn't the whole story. Even she wasn't privy to all that information and when she had asked they had only told her that it wouldn't be pertinent to her mission. "Believe me, being on the receiving end of that katana isn't a walk in the park." Eris said as she rubbed her throat absentmindedly at the memory. Even though he had never cut her the steel had felt so cold against her skin and it felt like the grim reaper was looming over her. She would have to be very careful around him if she wanted to avoid being in that position again.

Her eyes shifted back to the mirror as she caught sight of the police car still following them. Something here was very off and she didn't like it. It was as if he was trailing after them and every time she sped up so did he in a way to keep up. The policeman was all but ignoring the other cars on the road even when one sped by way past the speed limit. Her worst fears were confirmed when the bright blue lights started flashing and the siren broke through the silence as he signaled her to pull over. "Shit." Eris muttered as she turned the wheel and pulled over to the side of the road. They had left the main highway by now and the cars weren't coming along very frequently. This really wasn't looking good right now.

"Is there a problem officer?" Eris asked as the man came over to the side of the window and looked down at them. A quick survey of the man and she could already tell that this wasn't right. The gun on his holster definitely wasn't standard issue and the shoes he was wearing belonged to someone way above the pay grade of a highway patrolman. His whole demeanor seemed to speak of someone who was more used to high crime then spending the day chasing people who littered.

"Why don't you two step out of the car?" The man said in a southern drawl as he smirked at them. His hand was firmly on his gun as he waved for them to exit the vehicle.

"Yeah, lucky me." Thanatos answered with a bit of a frown then looked away from herand glanced back to the window, looking at the road as it passed by. It wasn't so much that the whole conversation was bothering him, but the thing of it was the conversation wasn't going anywhere further.

For the most part, the rest of the ride was pretty much in silence before something got his attention, this being the sound of a siren's chirp followed by Eris pulling off to the side of the road. Looking over his left shoulder, he could now see that patrol car that was following them to the side of the road as well, making him narrow his eyes slightly. "Wonder what this is about." He said quietly. Judging from the looks of things, the roads here now tht the two of them were off the main highway weren't very traveled on nor did anything about the officer that came over look anything like any traffic officer that he had seen. Something about this wasn't adding up.

At the request of the officer, Thanatos glanced over to Eris with a suspicious look before he looked back up. His hands dropped from behind his head and lowered to his lap, one hand resting on the sheath of his katana for the time being. "Well, we could officer, but before we do, I have a question to ask you." He said in a calm voice as both of his hands slid off the katana's sheath. "Can we see a badge just to see who you are?" He then asked, narrowing his eyes icily at him.

Eris looked over at Thanatos and saw his hands resting on his lap. Her own hand instinctively went over to her thigh where her gun was currently strapped. Something was very wrong about this situation and there was no doubt that it was going to end up ugly. She listened to Thanatos speak as he voiced the concerns she had in her own head.

"Heh, I believe this is the only badge I need kid." The man said as he pointed his pistol towards them. His finger was on the trigger and it didn't look like he would hesitate to shoot them if they didn't comply. Getting a better look at his gun she could see that it was military grade and something that was only given to superior officers. Whoever this man was he had connections with someone higher up. "Now both of you come out of that car with your hands up." The tone was commanding showing that he wouldn't take no for an answer. The smirk on his face was cruel like some large cat who had found a mouse and was enjoying playing with it right before it snapped it's neck.

"Whatever you say...officer." Eris said dully as she shot a worried look at the man next to her. Slowly she turned off the car before opening the door and putting one foot in front of the other. Both her hands were up in the air as she slowly turned around so that her back was to the car and she was facing the man with the gun. "How about you cut the crap and tell us what's going on?" She asked angrily as she glared at him. They obviously knew this wasn't some patrolman so why even keep up the charade.

"Little girl, you have no idea just what kind of trouble you two are in." The man said with a laugh as he motioned for them to step away from the car.

Kid? Just who in the hell does this guy think he is? Thanatos thought bitterly as he then followed suit by stepping out of the vehicle willingly with his hands in the air. Even the look on his face was clearly evident that this guy was going a long way to make him angry. If he had it his way, Thanatos would've easily put his eyes out before breaking each and every bone in his body then leave him there to make him learn from his mistake.

"Trouble, huh?" Thanatos asked in a cool voice as he placed his hands on the hood of the car while keeping his back turned from the officer as a plan was beginning to work its way through the machinations of his mind. "Let me guess. Because this woman is not only harboring a known fugitive, but also aiding and abetting?" He asked again as he glanced back behind him, feeling not even the least bit intimidated or even threatened by this gun toting redneck.

"But, I suppose simple reason isn't going to do much good for either of us, I'm afraid to say." Thanatos said as he closed his eyes with a smirk of his own. At that moment, an overwhelming surge of adrenaline was now coursing through his veins. As his eyes reopened, they were now a visible shade of gold and before the officer could get a better glimpse at him, Thanatos immediately made his move.

In what appeared to be one separate move, Thanatos dashed out of the officer's peripheral vision and got behind him before he shot a fist out, the impact connecting hard against his spine to get the officer to bend backwards due to the impact. Once there, Thanatos clutched the man's chin after he shot his gloved hands hands out then bent him further backwards before he pushed a knee upwards into the back of the officer's head.

Once that was done, Thanatos broke clean by lifting his hands upward into the air, his eyes glancing down to the officer without a whit of remorse.

Eris took an involuntary step back as she saw a blur of black rush towards the man in front of her. What happened next was almost too quick for her to see but she did get little grasps here and there. The fake policeman that had been pointing a gun at her just a minute ago was now lying on the floor with his head twisted in an angle that shouldn't have been humanly possible. Thanatos had made quick work of the man and was now just staring down on him like he was a pile of dirt instead of a human being.

The girl swallowed hard as her eyes turned from the man on the ground to the one who had been sitting next to her just moments ago. If she had thought that his cold black eyes had been intimidating then she wasn't prepared for what she saw next. Instead of the brown was now a pair of gold orbs that looked like they belonged to a horror movie monster instead of any living man. So this was the real sight of the most wanted man on the planet. Even if she had seen videos of him before this sight in front of her was something completely different and altogether more terrifying. When she had met him the night before at least there had been some humanity there and even when they were in the car at least she had gotten him to talk a bit like a normal person. Those eyes though didn't belong to a normal human.

"I..." She trailed off as she thought of the right thing to say. The car was pressed up against her back as she suddenly realized just how much she had backed away from him. Right now was a very delicate moment and she just wasn't sure what it would take to set him off again before she found herself lying on the ground next to the man. For a second Eris entertained the idea of getting her gun but she had already seen what he could do with his bare hands and there was little doubt that he would be able to do the same to her before she could even grab at her holster.

"Well that was interesting." She said weakly as she looked over at him. Since their trip first began she was honestly at a loss for words.

Soon enough, the gold in his irises soon faded back to black almost as if nothing had ever occurred whatsoever while his arms went to cross around his chest with an expression on his face that hardly seemed very interested with what he saw in the downed officer. As a matter of fact, the manner of expression that was now on his face seemed as though that he would do it again only much more gruesomely. "Pathetic." Thanatos said in a disgusted tone of voice as he looked down at the officer without even glancing up to Eris who had watched the scene the entire time. "Utterly and truly pathetic." He added as he then bent down onto a knee and placed two fingers one the officer's neck, feeling his pulse.

"Lucky for you, you're still alive." He said aloud, not really defining who he was speaking to before he stood back up onto his feet and looked to Eris who only looked back to him with a look of fear in her eyes. Something more along the lines of a jackrabbit being targeted by a deadly rattlesnake that was poised and ready to strike without a moment's hesitation. Soon enough, Thanatos only walked back to the passenger side of the vehicle and opened the side door for himself then slid inside like nothing ever happened.

"As for him, he'll be fine. In about several months' time, anyway. I only managed to crack the back of his skull and gave him a spinal contusion in the middle of his spine. So, we won't be seeing him again." Thanatos explained almost as if he knew what his intentions were. "Now if you're done looking at me like a deer stuck in the headlights of an oncoming semi, we've got to get to Chicago." He concluded with a hint of bite in his voice.

"Oh, you only managed to break his skull and fuck up his spine." She said sarcastically as she looked at where he sat in the car. Up until this point she had always thought of him as a soldier, a strong one sure, but a soldier none the less. Now she wasn't so sure that he was even a human. The way that he did it showed absolutely no remorse for his actions and that he would probably do it over and over again if given a chance. Right now the idea of getting in the car with him wasn't exactly appealing at the moment.

Leaning down to the man she reached in his pocket and pulled out his wallet. There was a fake ID on the top flap but under that she pulled out a white card that was hidden under a fake badge. The ID had the man's name on it as well as a number and the logo of some sort of branch of government. Dammit, she had thought she would have more time before they caught on to her. She was playing both sides right now and if he had pulled a gun on her that meant they obviously thought she had teamed up with Thanatos. She would have to wait for central to call her so she could see if they could buy her more time.

Content with what she found she walked back over to the car and sat in the driver's seat. The mood in the vehicle had changed dramatically and she was no longer trying to be friendly or getting him to talk. With what she had just witnessed she was in no hurry to give him another reason to turn homicidal. Her hands gripped the steering wheel firmly as they sped away from the man as soon as they possibly could. No doubt another motorist would see the man down and call the real police and they would have to be long gone by then. Now she just had to worry about the biggest threat to her life being a mere foot away from her.

Thanatos only rolled his eyes at her sarcasm. More and more useless chatter, he thought to himself as he waited for Eris to get back into the vehicle and drive the two to their supposedly intended destination. "Look at it this way, would you have preferred to have that weasel of a man gun you down in cold blood? Personally, I wanted to ensure that our safety was ensured by any means necessary, thank you very much." Thanatos said once Eris was inside and the two sped off. "Besides, whoever that person was, he seemed as though he was poised to take us both out and leave us there for dead. If I was a betting man - and on most occasions I am - I think what I did back there was all for the betterment of our survival so that whatever you have planned goes off without a hitch." He added before looking back out the window with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Gee, you're so right. Luckily I wasn't gunned down by some asshole and now only have to worry about being in the same car as a sociopath who has pulled a sword on me and threatened to kill me at least a dozen times by now." The smart thing would have been to keep her mouth shut and just drive but Eris had always had a little problem with sarcasm. Still, with the way things were looking she did seem to have a better chance of survival with Thanatos then with the man who was currently lying on the road. Yet those odds were very risky at best and they could change in a seconds notice if things went off plan. "Thanks." She mumbled under her breath as she made another right and got back on one of the main roads.

She drove in silence for the next hour or so and made sure to keep her eyes on the road in case of anything suspicious. So far it didn't look like they had anymore followers but one could never be too careful. Yet the silence was soon cut when her stomach grumbled telling her just how hungry she was. Having chased after Thanatos for the better part of the morning she had skipped breakfast and it was already nearing lunch time. Spotting a diner off of the next exit she turned off road before stopping at the parking lot. "Look, it's going to take us at least a day to get there and maybe even longer if we take the long way to avoid detection. We're going to need to pick up at least a few supplies and there is no way I'm doing all that driving on an empty stomach." She explained, just in case Thanatos tried to argue with her about stopping.

Parking near the diner so she could keep an eye on the car she flashed the man a grin before turning off the car before walking inside. "Table for two please."

That continued sarcasm of hers did very little to further upset Thanatos, but instead just caused him to roll his eyes once more and then shake his head. But, at least she had the common decency to thank him after all that had happened earlier. The frown on his face seemed as though it would never leave his face as he continued to train his eyes on the outside of the window before his only reaction was just a simple nod of his head. "Yeah." He said in a mostly deadpan tone this time around as he then noticed that the two of them pulled off the road once more after about an hour of continuing down the road.

"A day, eh?" Thanatos asked as he glanced over to Eris once the car came to a stop near the diner and she began to get out before he followed next after placing his blade on the floor in the back. Last thing that needed to happen to the two of them out here was to either be discovered himself, let alone leave his weapon out where prying eyes could see it. "Might as well make the most of it, I guess. It'll be a bit of a long day, I know that much." He added once he followed her inside of the diner, slipping his long leather jacket off and threw it over his right shoulder while grasping the collar with the same hand then followed her inside.

They were led to one of the booths by the hostess before Eris slipped off her own jacket and took a seat. The black corset fit snug against her body and she was just happy to have some moving room after being cramped in the car all this time. Picking up one of the menus her eyes looked over the page trying to decide what to get. Everything looked good though completely unhealthy in almost every way possible and that was exactly how she liked it. "See anything yet?" She absentmindedly asked Thanatos as her finger ran over all the choices listed on the menu.

"Hi there, I'm Amy and I'll be your server. Are you guys ready?" Eris looked up to see a perky brunette in a uniform looking down at them. The new girl was grinning from ear to ear as she kept her eyes glued on Thanatos. As Eris looked from the waitress to the man across from her a slow smile started to spread on her own face as she hurriedly tried to stifle a giggle. It looked like Thanatos had made a new friend in their new waitress. "Um yes, I think I'll have the Patty Melt please." Eris said as she handed Amy her menu before taking a quick sip of water. The waitress nodded absentmindedly as she quickly scribbled something down before turning her attention back to Thanatos. "And what about you?" She asked, flashing him a grin. The poor girl had no idea just what she was getting herself into.

Eris waited for the man to order and for the waitress to walk away before she let out a small giggle. "I think someone likes you~" She said in a sing-song voice like little kids might use on the playground. The blond tried to choke back another laugh as she took a quick sip of her water but couldn't help giggling every time she looked over at Amy and then Thanatos.

As Thanatos eventually sat down in the booth, he eventually laid his jacket down beside him and sighed a bit in comfort for the time being, knowing full well that this would probably be the only time he would be able to do so. Eventually, Thanatos glanced over to the menu near him and picked it up before opening it up and perused it, not really knowing what he was wanting initially. He puffed out his cheeks for a moment before he blew air threw his lips, emitting a bit of a motorboat sound effect for a moment then continued on looking.

He hardly even acknowledged the female waitress that came by and kept her eyes on him even as she introduced herself to the two. In all actuality, it was actually driving him a little bit crazy that all he was hearing was just more and more yammering than he was ready to listen to.

When he finally settled on an order, Thanatos simply lowered the menu onto the table and aimed a deadpan gaze up at Amy. "Make it two." He said in a straightforward tone of voice before aiming a bit of a steely glare over to Eris when she was teasing him in a sing-song voice. He half wanted to smack the tar right out of her then and there, but he decided against it for now.

Catching sight of his glare Eris stifled her laughter and went back to her water as if it was the most interesting thing on earth. He seemed decidedly uninterested in the waitress and looked more then ready to do her bodily harm if she kept pressing the topic. The logical part of her brain was telling her to shut the hell up and just let the silence take over while the twelve-year-old in her couldn't pass up the chance to tease him a bit. Sadly, as always, it seemed like the twelve-year-old would win.

"Oh come on, don't tell me you don't think she's even a little cute." Eris said with a grin as she started dipping her straw in the glass of water before pulling it out and letting the water flow back into the glass. "I mean, unless girls aren't your thing." This time the grin was replaced by a smirk as she looked over at him. Whatever information she had didn't cover that aspect of his life and up until now she had always assumed he was asexual given that he spent most of his time killing and training.

Eris did take some comfort in the fact that his katana was still in the car which would mean he'd have to go back there to get it if he did get the sudden urge to decapitate her. "By the way, I have a theory." She stated as she pointed her straw towards him sending some small water droplets flying over the table. "If you crack an actual smile, not a smirk or a post homicidal grin, the world as we know it will cease to exist and the universe will collapse upon itself."

To say that Thanatos wasn't in the least bit amused by Eris's continued teasing - if one were to call his increasingly aggravated expression that, anyway - was totally the biggest understatement of the century. He would then turn his attention towards Eris with that same glare in his eyes before he narrowed them at her with a venomous hint behind it. To further his point, he was about to give her a swift kick to the shin in order for her to knock it off, but then he decided not now. There would be a time for it all later.

"I'm afraid that's none of your business now, is it?" Thanatos asked in a bit of a stern tone of voice. "You don't see me poking around into your life wondering if you prefer men over women or vice versa, do you?" He asked, tilting his head to the side a bit as he spoke in an inquisitive manner. "So in conclusion, I'd prefer if you stayed out of my business and I won't ask anything personal about you." He added with a great finality.

"As for your theory, I'm afraid there really isn't all that much to smile about for me." He spoke once again before taking a napkin and wiping up the little bit of water that spattered onto his side of the table. "Besides, my life isn't all about sunshine and fairies farting pixie dust and unicorns puking rainbows." He added with a bit of sarcasm in his voice.

"Thank you so much for that lovely visual." She said deadpan as she quit playing with her straw. Amy chose that moment to bring their food which she set down before flashing him another smile. As for Eris she merely placed her napkin on her lap and looked down at her food with glee.

"See, the whole lack of personal questions thing is how it would be easy to pick you off as a soldier instead of an assassin." She said as she took a bite of her sandwich and swallowed before beginning again. "You're obviously pissed off that I talk so much but it has helped me learn more about you then probably a lot of people know. You've already surrendered your full name and even gave me a detailed account of your weapon and how you use it. I got an up close look at your fighting style both from last night and with what you did to the fake cop earlier. Not to mention I've seen you tense up when the subject of family is brought up or whenever someone is giving you attention that's even a little bit friendly. I can already make quite a few observations about you and even with all the talking I've done the only thing you really know about me is my first name." Sure she had been the one doing most of the talking but he'd been giving all the answers. She'd always made sure that the topic of conversation stayed on him and as far away from her as possible.

Eris took another bite and munched away happily before taking a sip of water. "Here's a little history lesson, wars are fought over words and not swords. You might be able to cut down people with your katana but with my information and words I can control them and do a lot more damage. Try studying people the same way you study your sword and you'd be surprised by just how much you can learn." In her world watching people was much more important then physically hurting them. She had been trained to watch for the smallest change in expressions or an increase in their pitch of voice to tell when someone was lying and when they were telling the truth. People were open books if you just knew how to read them.

"Sadly, that's all you know about me thus far. You haven't seen me at my fullest of potentials, the very same part that the very same group of people are trying to dispose of me for." Thanatos answered point blank and even pointed a finger at her. "But then again, you probably won't even see that coming like I did to you last time in the warehouse." He added as he then took his finger back and hushed for a moment when the waitress came around to deliver their food.

He then picked up the sandwich and looked at it for a moment before he took a bite into it, chewing on it methodically as he listened to her for a little while, shrugging once at some parts and even furrowing his brow for a moment when she brought up other topics before he swallowed the bit of sandwich he had in his mouth. "So you claim." He answered. "The only reason as to why I don't like talking about family is because of the same reason I told you on our way here." Thanatos answered once more. "I don't know enough about my own family and even if I did, do you honestly expect me to sit here and make you believe that I had a fairly average family and lived in an average house?" He asked, quirking a eyebrow at her. "The only thing I would have to say to that is just that: I. Don't. Know." He added as he announced each word with clarity.

"And thanks but no thanks. I've already learned everything there is to know about combat and how to take advantage of an enemy's weakness." He added as he kept his nearly obsidian eyes trained on her without a sign of faltering in either his voice or his eyes. "Besides, you may or may not see what else I told you about." He concluded before he took another bite of his sandwich and munched on it.

Eris sat in silence while she ate her food and listened to him tell his side. She nodded her head slowly and took another bite while she watched him intently. Even as he explained she couldn't help but smile a little bit as she realized that this was the most he had talked to her during their trip. Usually he was sarcastic and snippy but now it was like they were actually having a real conversation. Amazingly all she had to do was antagonize and annoy him enough to finally get him to talk back. At least now he'd stopped threatening to kill her too.

"I do believe this is the most I've heard you talk this entire time." She said as she ate the last of her sandwich and washed it down. "I'm annoying but it has to be a little better then talking to yourself the entire time. Of course I'm just guessing that you don't really get into a lot of social events." The thought of Thanatos dressed up in a tux and mingling with people was almost too ridiculous to think of. Put him in that kind of situation and you'd probably end up with a mass homicide on your hands.

"Before you said you were a betting man so how about we have a little bet?" There was mischief in her blue eyes as she looked over at him. "If you win I'll stop talking for the next three hours and if I win you have to crack an actual smile. It'll be simple really, it's just a staring contest. Longest to go without blinking wins so are you in?" She held out her hand to him to see if he would be game.

Thanatos blinked when he realized what her plan was for him on a personal scale was soon after she spoke. He had been talking with her all this time because she had pestered him into doing so? That bitch... Thanatos thought in a bit of a castigating manner. She's lucky that I didn't put her head on a pike all those long nights ago. He added to himself with a bit of a growl.

"Yeah, that's right. I've never really socialized except with that of the unit I was assigned to and that was it. I wouldn't really call it socializing, however." He added as he then laid his sandwich down otno the plate for a moment and leaned back into his seat, pushing his shoe-clad feet outward and then crossing one leg over the other. "Once an order was barked to us, that was it. We all followed it to the letter with no questions asked."

When she spoke of having a little bet with her and all that he would have to do was to just stare at her. A bit of a frown was on his face for a moment before shaking his head with a shrug, deciding to just go with it. "Alright, fine." He answered.

"Wonderful." She said, the smile on her face almost akin to a Cheshire cat who had just snuck into the Queen's garden. Now reasoning would tell her that between the two of them he had a much better chance of winning then he did. No doubt through his training he had put his body through all sorts of hell that would allow him to concentrate and push past needing to blink for quite some time. She, on the other hand, could already feel her eyes getting watery with a need to close. If this was a fair bet she would have lost in under a minute but Eris was not one to play fair.

With her blue eyes still trained on his black ones she pushed herself out of her booth and walked around to his side so she was staring down at him. Before he could react she leaned down and grabbed onto his shoulders before lowering her mouth to his and kissing him. Her eyes were open the entire time as she watched his face critically to see if he would blink or not. Right now she was expecting to see surprise, anger and murderous rage on his face in that order as she kissed him longer. This should be enough to at least throw him off his game and put the bet as the last thing on his mind while he searched for a weapon to kill her with.

It was almost like watching a little kid play with fire. They knew that they would get burned and that it would hurt like hell but for some reason they kept pushing their luck and getting closer and closer to the open flames. She just had to make sure to find cover in a moment when he snapped out of it and sharp, pointy objects started flying through the air.

With that, Thnaatos aimed those deathly cold blacken irises of straight into her ones of blue, just waiting and waiting to see if she would blink. Under a technicality, it would be a little unfair of him to be who he was since he was the one who could withstand just about anything that was thrown in his direction. And even if she did manage to somehow get away with something, he had yet to have seen it.

But then, the oddest thing occurred. He watched as Eris slid out of her side of the booth and then meandered around to his side with one of those kinds of smiles that would make her seem like that of a cat burguar that had just gotten away with the Hope Diamond and just before he could even get a word in, he soon found her hands on his shoulders which caused him to glance to her hands for a moment in confusion before he then saw her lips coming into contact with his own. A sudden muffled series of protests could now be heard as his arms flexed suddenly before thrusting his hands outward, the palms of his gloved hands pushing up into the cups of the corset she was wearing in an attempt to get her off of him with how hard Thanatos was doing to push her off of him. In his normal human state, he could've done so and in his ascended state, he would shoved her clearly through a window as of right now. But since the two were in a public place, he decided against pushing her off for now.

The expression in his eyes as of right now was that of a raging bull that had seen something that it didn't like. His brows were fixed in a manner that clearly confirmed this just as much that if she didn't stop what she was doing right now, then there would be a very good chance that things - including her - would start to fly.

Still, Thanatos kept trying to force Eris's lips away from his own by pushing her back little at a time until he finally got his lips away from hers and aimed a sort of deathly glare at her without so much as a blink.

She had expected him to be angry but she hadn't expected what he did to try and push her away. Eris felt a pressure on a more sensitive party of body as he tried to push her away before breaking the kiss. Her eyes trailed over his face where he was currently glaring daggers at her and down to where his hands were currently on her body. Blue eyes blinked rapidly as she tried to make sense of just what had happened. She had kissed him and he had decided to push away which was what she was expecting. What she wasn't expecting was for his hands to be right over a certain part of her anatomy. "Err...did you really just grope me?" She asked in a quiet voice as she quickly backed away from him and sat back down on her side of the table.

"And how in the hell did you not blink?" She asked incredulously, ignoring the murderous gaze he was giving her. Dammit, all of that and she had still been the one to blink first. Her lips turned into a pout and she leaned back against her seat with her arms crossed over her chest like some little kid who just lost a game. The waitress came over and dropped off the bill though her smile died as she caught a glance of the look Thanatos was currently giving off which currently reminded her of a horror movie monster. She merely dropped the the bill off and high tailed it out of there before anything started flying.

Eris was still lost in her own world when she saw the bill being dropped off. She reached into her wallet and threw money on the table still miffed that she couldn't talk for the next three hours. She had been sure that her plan would work but somehow it managed to backfire on her. Grabbing her jacket off the booth she walked out of the diner angrily with a pout still affixed to her lips.

Back
Top Bottom