Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Cat scratching doors

Rudolph Quin

Mistaken for some sort of scoundrel
Withdrawn
I got a cat about 9 months ago and it was hard at first adapting to her in our household. But we've generally gotten through all the big bumps and now everything is fine. Except this one thing: she scratches at doors.

There are two rooms in the back section of the house that we always keep the doors shut. The one room is a guest room where I keep old artwork and boxes of junk. The other is the bedroom. For probably the first week or so when we had her, we let her into the bedroom, but that changed when she refused to let me sleep and kept getting into stuff. So, after the first month, we kept the bedroom door closed constantly as well.

She is NEVER let into either of the back rooms under any circumstances and we've done pretty well with keeping her out of them by accident. And yet, now, 9 months living with us, at least 3-7 times a day, she will wander into the back hallway and scratch at the bedroom or guest room doors.

I keep a spray bottle filled with watered down vinegar and spray at her every time she does it - vinegar so that when she licks herself, she associates the bad taste with the behavior; it was advice I got from somewhere else. It has gotten to the point where, when I hear her doing it, all I need to do is get up and she comes slinking back in here looking guiltily up at me like she knows she's done something wrong.

It's getting to be ridiculous and I really want her to cut it out but I have no idea what more I could possibly do to deter the behavior. Any suggestions and advice would be extremely helpful, especially since she tends to do it at night as well, when I'm too tired to get up and spray her cute, yet stupid, little ass.

Poor Paddy... *pets*

Hrmmm.... I've had several cats over the years. So I do know what you mean about them occasionally scratching at doors. Have you tried getting a scratching post? Or something along those lines in which your cat can play, claw at, etc? Sometimes such things can help. They're a distraction and they allow them to 'groom' their claws and the like. Spraying with water/vinegar can help sometimes, but it's not fool proof. Cats are stubborn creatures and will hold out longer than you. They'll poke and poke until you finally say.... 'I surrender'. At least a lot of the times they do. BUT... you can get lucky with a cat that just has that perfect personality as well. But, such cats are rare. lol.

Another option is to get one of those liners people place at the base of the door to prevent drafts. You just have to make sure it's heavy enough or able to be secured enough so that your cat cannot move it. Perhaps if the liner blocks the bottom edge of the door (the spot cats typically tend to scratch at on doors), you might be able to stop the behavior.

Anyhow, these are just a couple of ideas. Hopefully one or both will work for you. Or, at the very least, inspire another idea that might help. Good luck!!! <3

Some stores sell double sided stick strips, generally in packages of ten or so. If you place those on your doors her paws will get stuck to them (harmlessly) and be unable to scratch them. Basically imagine trying to walk on a sticky floor barefooted, or trying to rub against sticky tape. Not very fun.

We used these to break a cat of scratching on the couch and it worked. It might work here too if you can find them.

My cat used to do this too. I just kept pulling her away from the doors she wasn't allowed past. Eventually she stopped. I wish I could say that worked for all her bad habits.

I have heard of the water bottle trick, that didn't work with my cat. I have heard of the sticky tape trick too. I have also heard of laying down a strip of the hook-only side of Velcro. I have heard that has a similar effect to the sticky tape. It's supposed to feel uncomfortable to their paws. Only the Velcro doesn't have to be replaced like the sticky tape does when it gets fully of dust and dirt. I haven't tried it though so I can't say how well it would work. If you do try it put the hook-only strip down so that the tips of the hooks can be felt on the flesh of your cat's paws, not the curve of the hooks.

Try getting its front claws removed if its an inside only cat, that way when they claw there is no damage. Cats usually pick a few cratch places even without claws. the cats instincts are to streatch upward and scratch/paw at stuff. my cats 19 and still does it. Also the simple fact of a closed room is like saying come on to a cat. Try just opening the rooms without the paintings for the day and just close them when its time to sleep.

Usually when they remove the claws, front or back, of a cat they take the whole tips of the toes. It is inhumane and is illegal in my city. I would say do ANYTHING else other the de-clawing the cat.

Yeah. We're not going to declaw her. As much as I find her habit aggravating it's something I really don't want to do to her. Besides, it wouldn't really keep her from the doors - although it would keep her from damaging them, but she doesn't do enough damage to the doors as it is. It's the sound she makes repetitively pawing at the doors, that I find annoying - particularly at night when trying to sleep.

We actually ended up getting some bitter apple spray repellent and spraying it in that back hallway and she seems to respond to that. I thank everyone for their suggestions and help.

Back
Top Bottom