Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Reanimator's Horror Weekend Schedule

Dr Herbert West

Super-Earth
Now Playing: The Haunting (1963)

Already watched: Horror Hotel

Coming up next:
  • Die! Die! My Darling
  • Tenebrea
  • Faster Pusscat Kill! Kill!

I think tomorrow will be a hammer horror day. I'll probably do something like...
  • To the Devil a Daughter
  • Dracula
  • The Brides of Dracula
  • The Curse of Frankenstein
  • The Revenge of Frankenstein

I lump it in just because I can. So often thrillers get tossed in the mix so I figured I wasn't breaking too many rules by including it. It's a great watch, you should pick it up again. Varla is the baddest bitch to ever give men hardons.

Now watching: Dracula (1958, Hammer)

Coming up:
  • The Brides of Dracula
  • To the Devil a Daughter
  • The Curse of Frankenstein
  • The Revenge of Frankenstein

Tomorrow I start my usual grind and thus a marathon in the pure sense isn't likely to happen. However, I'll do two or three movies in the evening while I unwind and such. This is what I'm planning for tomorrow night.

Stephen King Night
  • Misery
  • Carrie
  • Needful Things

• D: ! Misery. Oh man, what a brilliant book. The movie was great too. Are
        you really Stephen King savvy? :>

For some reason the book Thinner was one of my favorites. And of course,
        the Dark Tower series.

Also it should be said you have a great taste in horror flicks. ;} I certainly
        wouldn't mind sitting down and watching some with you.

You should definitely have an 80's horror movie night!

Why thanks Dream!

I am pretty SK savvy though I've not had the pleasure of reading Thinner, yet. I ADORE the Dark Tower books though and I hear there's talk of movies in the very near future.

I would seriously consider an 80's horror night. I think that may be my unwinding schedule for Tuesday then...perhaps something like this...

80's Horror Night
  • The Lost Boys
  • Return of the Living Dead
  • Friday the 13th

It's hard to narrow down which I'd want to watch though...that was hard...really hard settling on those three. I guess we'll see if it changes between now and then lol

• I certainly hope they do make films proceeding the books ... and I also
        hope that they won't be horrid because we all know that book made into
        movies are rarely ever ... good. The Resident Evil series, for example. Ugh.

I'm liking that list. ;}

Do you have any modern horror flicks that you thoroughly enjoy? I have to
        say I'm a pretty big fan of the 2004 version of Dawn of the Dead ... Land
        of the Dead was relatively decent too ~

George A. Romero ftw? : >

I LOVE Romero and I did enjoy both of those.

hmmm....

Believe it or not I didn't hate the remake of Nightmare on Elm Street. I didn't think it was better than the original but I think it held it's own.

The Mist was great all accept the last like...four minutes where they changed King's ending. I thought it was lame. But the rest of the movie was fucking fantastic.

I enjoyed the first Saw film but the rest were just awful. (Don't ask me why I bothered to see the rest. I don't have a good explanation.)

I dunno...problem with here recently is that so many of the horror movies out/coming out are all remakes. Some do a good job while others fall flat.

• I actually didn't hate it either. Of course I wanted Freddy's whimsical
        taunting to prevail over all else but ... it was relatively decent. I got
        a kick out of it. : >

I loved the Mist. It was so ... outlandish. The music was so eerie! I agree
        with the ending, though. Well, to a degree. I cried like a big baby, I won't
        lie. I was expecting the same ending as in the book but it was entirely
        different.

Really? You don't like the Saw films? I adore them.

Did you see the Crazies? I didn't mind that much as a remake either.

I actually REALLY liked The Crazies.

I have mixed feelings about remakes. I mean it's fun to see what people do with the material, 'cept when they fuck it up. Yet I find myself craving something new.

The Saw sequels seemed to lose something for me. I liked how pure the first one was...like a more successful John Doe from Seven lol The message was dead on from the guy and there was a sort of cruel logic to it. But in the sequels it just felt like it lost a lot of that and it was more about just coming up with gross out traps. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the occasional gross out flick. Hell, I want to see this Human Centipede movie that Tosh was talking about....

• WAIT. YOU KNOW OF SE7EN? I think you should marry me. Right now.

You'd be surprised how many people haven't heard of that movie. :X For
        shame, I say.

I absolutely adore the franchise. Some of the movies are more fillers then
        anything (like 3 and 5, so I believed) but they message is as plan as day.
        Are they starting to milk the series? Oh fuck yes, they've been doing that
        after number 2. Am I thrilled for the last installment to come out in
        theaters? More then you can believe.

Oh ... jesus. The Human Centipede? :X If you have a strong stomach, go
        for it. I thought it was original, disturbing and somewhat outlandish.
        Okay, extremely outlandish. If you're a horror movie connoisseur it's
        definitely something you should have on your watched list.

haha I didn't know that such a thing existed? People don't know about the movie Seven? Am I really that old?

Slither is another sorta recent favorite of mine.

This is what I hear about Human Centipede lol

OH and I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY looking forward to the AMC series "The Walking Dead" based on the incredible comic of the same name.

• Yeah, they don't. It's quite peculiar. But then again, I watch essentially
        every possible horror movie I can get my hands on.

Oh, same here! : > I really hope it turns out well.

And Slither? xD Oh man, that movie was a riot. It was creepy ~

Se7en was a fantastic flick. FANTASTIC! I saw it in the theaters way back when *loves dating herself, lol*. It's even better when you watch it again and again. Sooo many little things, so many little cues. Just brilliant.

I love me my horror as well. Though I tend to stick more to the classics and 80s flicks. Primarily because I've been more or less disheartened with the things I've attempted to watch that are more recent. There are a few, however, that I would like to watch but haven't as of yet. And that's b/c my hubs is a big freakin' BABY! BABY!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell, my son (who is two, mind you), is braver. LOL!

The only flicks I have to watch out for are anything revolving around bugs. I saw you guys mention something about a centipede. Yeah. As much as I like horror, you will not catch me watching that. hehe.

Here's to the classics!!!

There's actually no insects in Human Centipede. It's just a mad doctor connecting three humans together, ass to mouth.

I personally want to like horror, I love being spooked, but I take umbrage by the use of jump tactics and graphic violence to provoke fear. I prefer it to be done through the atmosphere.

reanimator said:
Atmospheric horror is the rarest but almost always the best. I think when you talk about that you have to mention Kubric and Polanski.

Very true, but I've long thought, the very first movie you mention in this thread (the '63 Haunting) is a Master's Class on atmosphere. They get a whole creepy scene from nothing but half-intelligible noises on the soundtrack and shifting shadows that really raises your hackles. And the big special effects scene is a door that swells and bulges unnaturally while you watch, and that single scene is more genuinely unnerving than the entire 1999 star-studded effects-laden remake.

Polanski, all I can think of off the top of my head is The Ninth Gate, which is pretty atmospheric, and stars Johnny Depp as a hard-boiled librarian, basically.

Kubrick, I don't think of as horror, really. I mean, The Shining, but that's about it. I haven't seen Eyes Wide Shut; is it horrible? :D

I always thought of Eyes Wide Shut as pretty creepy in a weird sort of way. Maybe it's just Tom Cruise's acting.

Polanski's movies, (pretty much all of them after his wife and baby got the machete treatment from the Manson gang) had an unusual, creepy vibe to them, imo.

I try not to watch anything of us because I don't want to financially support a child rapist.

Not saying his movies are good or bad, I just don't want to see them on my dime.

Some of my faves (which tend to lean more towards the classics, though I do have a few that are more recent I love too) are Invasion of the Body Snatchers (one of my first evers where the 'bad guys' won and closure was not to be had), The Birds (another of those 'first evers') and the series The Day Of The Triffids. Love that stuff! hehe..... Oh... and nothing kicks ass like the old Bela Lugosi classic Dracula!

Back
Top Bottom