Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Apprentice and the Merchant's Daughter (Kolath and Candira)

Candira

Singularity
It was a bright, sunny day in the harbor and there was a fabulous breeze that guided the Castonia into the port. The merchant ship that docked was laden with spices, cloths, jewels, and seeds from other lands. Maps, books, and manuscripts all comprised the cargo as well. But while the sailors aboard the ship hurriedly started preparations to begin unloading the cargo and properly anchoring the ship, one man was searching frantically for the two people he loved most on the docks.

A bright smile reached his face as he saw his little girl running toward the gangplank for him. Once it was secure, he ran down it to greet the sweetest little girl he could imagine--his daughter, Aria Kingsly.

Aria loved nothing more in this world than her parents, Richard and Sophia Kingsly. They were so good to her and they gave her all she could have wanted: love, a comfortable life, and, most prized, an education. They taught her to give of herself and treat others with fairness and kindness. Her family was well liked among the common folk, and she enjoyed a position of prestige and honor as her father's only heir.

"Father!" She grinned and put her arms around the man as he picked her up and spun her around. Delighted at his presence, she giggled and hugged tightly to him, kissing his cheek. "I've missed you so much!"

Richard grinned at his little girl, smoothing her lovely red hair--a feature she shared with her mother. Her eyes, the color of brandy, however, were his. He chuckled and reached into his pocket. "I have something for you, my darling." From his pocket he took the most beautiful cloth she'd ever seen. Her eyes lit up in surprise and awe.

"This is for you, my girl. I've another for your mother. And I brought one especially for your little friend as well."

"Oh, thank you, father! It's beautiful!" She smiled at the little handkerchief that he'd given to her and happily tucked it into a pocket of her dress. The white and cream cloth looked wonderful next to her pale, rosy skin. She smiled at the craftsmanship and kissed her father's cheek again.

"Come, let's take it to your friend. We can see your uncle and give them their gifts."

Aria grinned as she skipped along, holding her father's hand. She was a little tall for her age, but she had a pretty face and a body that was just beginning to show hints of womanly shape. Her eyes shone with excitement as the spirited young girl found her uncle's famous blacksmith shop and entered.

"Uncle, Uncle! Father has returned!" She cried, bouncing as she waited for her uncle and her friend to come out and greet her.

Flynn worked hard at the forge pounding out the long strips of metal that would be made into everything from swords to tea posts. Though there had not been many mundane things made in this blacksmith shop for some time. The master that Flynn was apprenticed under was famous and as such always had orders coming in for swords and armor of some kind or other. Such was the life of a apprentice, when he was done with one thing that seemed pointless he would move on to something else. Though he was wise enough to understand that doing these simple tasks were helping to refine his skills but still if felt sometimes like his master was just using him to do the things he didn’t want to do himself.

He and his master heard the call form Aria and with a quick look passed between them set aside their work for now and turned toward the door. Flynn was tall for his age standing near the shoulder of every grown man around. His hair was blonde almost gold in color with enough red mixed in to get it a nice coppery sheen to it. his arms and chest were large and well developed because of the years of being a blacksmith, and all though his body was hard and his face chiseled his bright blue eyes were always welcoming. He and his master walked out smiling. He waved his Aria always having enjoyed her company. The two men shook hands and started to talk business leaving the children to do as they pleased.

Richard gave Aria Flynn's gift and sent her to play while he and his brother talked of his time abroad and the things he'd seen. Aria's mother, stopped by a stand selling medicinal herbs to fill her stores. That left Aria and Flynn to do as they pleased.

The redhead smiled and bounced in front of him. "Hello Flynn!" She would have given him a hug, but her mother wouldn't have approved. Instead, she smiled and took his hands. "How are you faring today? Has uncle taught you anything new today?" Flynn had been her friend for some time, and she loved talking to him. He was always kind to her, and he always seemed to be able to make time to give her advice if she needed it. She trusted him with her most intimate secrets.

"Father got something for you during his travels," she said, holding out the beautiful, elegant red cloth to him. "I got one too, isn't it pretty?" She asked, holding hers up for him to see as well.

Flynn smiled and took the cloth, “Thank you, and thank your father.” He looked into her beautiful eyes and smiled before turning to lean over the railing that lined the wharf. His mind was awhile away looking out over the sea for a moment. The last time that she was able to come and see him they had talked about the plans of her parents for her life. They were planning on having her leave the family and go to the court to learn the ways of the court and become a member of it. “So…what happens when you leave?”

She was pleased at his reaction to the cloth and and smiled brightly. "You're welcome. I hope you like it," she said, tucking hers away again. It was always nice to talk to Flynn, and she loved to come to town just for the chance to do it. Last time she'd seen him, she was both excited and scared. Now, as he turned away from her, it was sadness that she felt. His bringing it up reinforced the notion that it would be quite some time before she saw him again. A heaviness settled on her heart as she realized she would be leaving soon.

"Well, I'll be taken under the wing of a courtly woman and be taught all the proper etiquette of the court. I'll learn how to dress and act and speak like a lady who has the king's ear. And I'll learn how to help the people who need me," she said with a smile.

"I won't be able to leave until my training is complete..." Aria tried her hardest to not let the sadness show, but it was pretty obvious that she would be sad. "I'll miss everyone so much...especially you, Flynn. You're my best friend."

Flynn sighed softly as she went over the list of things she would be learning like she had the time she had told him that she was leaving. It all sounded good but there was one thing that really bothered Flynn. He sighed and turned to look at her his hand lightly reaching out and taking hers even if her mother could see it, he didn’t care. “I will miss you too Aria, but I think you will forget totally about me. When all those handsome young lords see you and start vying for your attention you will forget about your best friend.”

Shocked that he would even think such a thing, she shook her head defiantly, sending fiery, copper strands of hair flying. "Never! I could never forget you Flynn." Her eyes looked so sincere, and she held fast to his strong hand. "You will always be my dear friend. I swear, I'll never forget you."

And then, she frowned. "But won't you forget about me? I won't be here anymore to distract you from your craft...and I'm sure all of the pretty young maids will quite erase me from your head. It will be so full of everything else..." She looked down, her grip on his hand loosening.

He smiled and gently tightened his hand in hers. Brushing his hand over her cheek and hair lightly. “What pretty young maid could ever compare to you?” he smiled and held her hand softly just looking into her eyes as they were about the same height. “Lets make a pledge that no matter what happens we will always be friends even if you make it all the way to being the queen you will always be my friend.”

She giggled a little as he complimented her, enjoying the way he comforted her with those strong hands of his. Her brandy-colored eyes looked up into his bright blue orbs and smiled as he proposed a promise. "Of course! I'll always be your friend, Flynn. Even if you marry someone prettier than me," she said with a laugh. Squeezing his hand, she smiled up at him. "I swear it."

He laughed and nodded, “So do I, I swear that I will always be your friend, even if you become the queen of the land I will still be there for you.” He smiled and hugged her shoulders close just holding his dear friend for a moment.

Neither of them could see what was coming in the years that would separate them. She left for the castle, and life went on for him. he continued his training under her uncle becoming a journeymen. He had been about to leave on his journey around the kingdom to learn from other masters, when the kingdom went to war. He was drafted into the army and became a active blacksmith for the army making all the repairs for his unit. He kept in touch with her via letters telling her what was going on, keeping out the details of the war to spare her. until one day the letters suddenly stopped.

Aria thrilled in the moment, staying in her friend's arms for as long as she could. Then and there, a piece of her heart broke off and she left it with him. It was the happiest memory she would have for quite some time. The most important to her.

In just a short time, the merchant's daughter left for the castle to learn the ways of the court. As the seasons passed, she kept her promise, never forgetting her friend, even as she grew into an even lovelier young woman. She blossomed like a flower into one of the most beautiful ladies of the court. Her figure, though a bit slim for some liking was blessed with lovely curves that pleased the eye of all who gazed on her. Her skin stayed pale and beautiful, and she was taught how to apply make up, but found that she disliked it so much that she claimed it tarnished her lovely skin. People accepted it, since she had no need to wear it.

She wore dresses crafted of fine fabrics and her fiery hair was styled in lovely braids or lovely up dos. One rarely saw her with her hair down. She learned the proper etiquette for dealing with people of her station and people in higher places, but it was left to her to determine a way to speak with the common folk. Aria was well-liked in the court because of her manners, her work ethic, her kind heart, and her beauty.

She often wrote letters to her dear friend and received many in return. She never forgot Flynn and was devastated when he was sent to war. She held each of his letters dear to her and kept them in a special chest, hidden away from the others. She crafted each reply with great care and did her best to cheer him, though she knew that times were, to say the least, difficult for him.

Finally, the letters stopped. A month passed by with no word...and eventually, Aria began to fear for the worse. She was devastated each time she heard that a blacksmith had been killed in the letters her uncle sent her. He had information from the guild of the blacksmiths, and so he knew more than she did. Neither of them, however, knew for certain which blacksmiths had died.

She prayed and prayed, but eventually, sweet Aria came to the conclusion that if he were still alive, he would have found a way to contact her after a whole year had passed. He did not...and now, she could only throw herself into the work of helping the people--especially those affected by the war.

Finally, the girl had been allowed to leave the castle, and she was just in the streets that day, to learn what it was she could do for the people in her care.

Flynn wasn’t dead, he had been captured in the battle. He had been taken back to the other kingdom but rather than being tortured and thrown into prison for the rest of his life he was taken out into the kingdom. He and the other captured soldiers were taken through the kingdom not to be shown off as prizes of war but rather to see the way the people lived. They were kept under guard but were allowed much freedom. In that time living with and seeing the way the people lived Flynn started to realize that what he thought was normal was in fact tyranny. As he watched these happy people that even though there was no royal taskmaster watching over them still planted and harvested their crops and paid taxes. People that felt happy and safe from their king worked better than those beaten with whips.

Finally the soldiers had seen enough and through some simple covert movements they all slipped away from their captors and back into their kingdom. rather then return to their lives they drifted for about a year around the kingdom making sure that they knew what they were doing. Finally they were sure…this king had to be replaced because he was destroying the kingdom. It was shortly after that the first sighting of the black fox happened. The Black Fox quickly gained a name among the people as a friend of the common man, but enemy of those that would oppress them. The Black Fox was feared in the upper circles of society because they worried they would be dropped by a black arrow for stepping out of the code that the Black Fox laid down. The rebellion had started…

Aria had never questioned the system in which she was raised, but she had been taught to value all people and to respect their needs. In fact, she and her family were well-liked among the common folk because they listened to them. It was clear that Aria and her family were always working with the commoners in mind. If they could not stop a harsh law, they always fought to make it a little easier for the peasants they represented. And they did the best they could to help where it was possible.

Though she never questioned the system, the redhead often found herself thinking the decisions made were unfair and unfavorable to the people beneath her. She was doing her best on this day to learn what was most pressing for the people. Through all of this, she'd heard of the Black Fox. She had heard rumors of him before, but they were whispered in fear in the castle. These people spoke of him as a hero.

The rebellion had started, but the common-folk did not fear for their kind lady. That being said, they still warned her to be careful in the marketplace.

There had been several other ladies that since the Black Fox had been striking against the upper class for harming the lower people, they had started to join Aria on her missions of mercy. They hadn’t taken into account that the Black Fox had never harmed a woman of any rank. They had joined her today as usual all of them looking to Aria as their leader since not one of them really cared about the people.

The Black Fox watched as Aria and the ladies were moving into the market place. This would have to happen fast and be pulled off perfectly. Hand signals passed the order along to all his men in hiding. All were masked and kept their identity secret. In moments the plan went into action. The guards in the market were knocked out and the upper class merchants that were known to be dishonest were stripped of their money, where as those that were fair traders just part of their money was taken. But it was the ladies that were a new part of this plan. Almost seeming to appear out thin air each one was quickly gagged and hooded their arms being held tight as they were quickly pulled off the streets. In moments the air was still with no sound of the strike and the Black Fox and his men were already moving back into the forest with the women in tow, bound hand and foot if they fought too much, and carried over the back of a horse.

Aria was vaguely aware that something was different about the market today, but she let it go. She was heading toward her uncle's stand to see if there were any problems she might be able to help his guild with when someone came up behind her and gagged her, holding her tightly. The beautiful lady screamed, though the sound was muffled and then a hood was put over her head to keep her from seeing where she was going. That did not stop her from struggling however.

Aria had always been fiery, even as a girl, and today, she struggled with all her might--which was quite considerable for a woman, but no match for the man that held her. She tried her best to escape, wriggling, struggling, and kicking, her elbows trying to find a target. Before she knew it she was being heaved around like a sack of flower in a bakery, and neatly tossed over the back of a horse. She was bound, at this point, at hand hand foot, and she never truly stopped struggling. Muffled cries of "let me go!" and several very unlady-like curses rang out from under the hood she was forced to wear, and she ensured that she became a thorn in the side of her captor.

Lord help him if she was freed.

They eventually stopped for the night deep in the woods. The men set up a fire and started making dinner for all of them as well as going out and retrieve some water for them all. The girls were all placed together and their hoods removed. One man walked over to them standing close by his masked face cast in shadow by the fire. “Now we really don’t want any trouble. I give you all my word that you are safe and will not be harmed except by your own stupidity. So if we can all just behave we can get you all home as soon as we possibly can. Agreed?”

"What do you intend to gain?" Aria said, her voice a little braver and stronger than she felt at that moment. "What good can I do the people I represent if I can't be there?" She struggled just a little. "There are people who need help that need to be defended." Frustration was mounting higher and she felt herself starting to give into fear of what would happen. Because of course, masked men were the most trustworthy in the world. After a moment she calmed herself.

"I'm sorry...but you must understand how trying this is. To be taken in the way we were taken from the streets is frightening to say the least, and we know nothing of you or your word's worth." She frowned and felt as though she should stop speaking, but she felt as though she'd had to say that.

She lowered her head and looked down, noticing that a woman near her had started to cry. "Sir...I promise I'll be cooperative, but could you please wipe her tears?" She frowned and shifted a bit, her body moving so that a very familiar, angelic piece of cloth stuck out from her bodice. It was the cloth her father had given her on that day so long ago.

He looked at her as she spoke and slowly nodded. His hand came up and lightly rested for a moment on her bodice before removing the cloth. He showed no reaction as he moved over and coming close to the other girl and lightly brushed away her tears with the cloth. He then looked back at Aria smirking slightly, holding the cloth up in front of her as though about to put it back where it had come from between her breasts. He reached around her placing it back in her hand. “My lady I am the Black Fox and my word is always good.” He then stood and walked ovr to the fire to see how their dinner was coming knowing that when he was forced to untie them all would potentially be the most likely time for their escape.

His hand lingered on her bodice for an inappropriate amount of time, earning him a rather fiery, disapproving look from the noble woman. Aria was no pushover, but she kept her word too, and struggling and being uncooperative would only end in tears. If not her own, then those of the others. She reassured the woman as best she could while the bandit wiped her tears. At least he could do that much without aggravating her. She sighed in relief when the woman stopped crying.

He shot her a rather cheeky look, while she looked at him defiantly, practically daring him to try. There was quite a limit to these sorts of things. "The Black Fox?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. A murmur of recognition passed through the group. "So you're the vigilante, then? Perhaps your word is good, but you've yet to give us much of a reason to trust in you." She frowned and sighed, leaning back against a post her back was to.

Her heart ached when she thought of her mother and father and how worried they would be when they found that she had been kidnapped. Tears formed in her eyes when she realized that it would nearly break her uncle's heart. And finally, she remembered Flynn. If he were alive, he'd be worried too. Surely he would try to find her. Remembering him truly brought tears to her eyes and she let them silently fall down her pretty face. It was too bad she couldn't wipe her eyes.

It was all too much. She tried her best to remember happier times, but that only brought more pain. Flynn had always been a dear friend, and she had longed so much to see him again, but he'd gone before she could even say good bye. She bore it in stony silence, only allowing herself to shed tears for her lost friend.

The Fox moved away over to a tree watching her. He was already starting to wonder about her. He felt like he knew her from somewhere but couldn’t place his finger on where from. His life in this land felt like it was so very long ago, it was not something he felt like he could think about not until things were made better here. he couldn’t get the image of that piece of cloth out of his mind as he looked over at her sitting with the other women. Why did that simple thing seem to mean so much to him? he shook his head to clear it before checking on the food for dinner. Finding it ready he and several men went to over to the women and untied their hands while bowls of the stew were brought over to them.

Aria was aware of the eyes that were on her, and she was not entirely sure that she liked it. She kept her word, however when her hands were untied and gratefully accepted the stew that they handed to her. The redhead saw that some others were wrinkling their noses and rolled her eyes. "Just eat. You need to keep your strength up," she reasoned with them. This seemed to do the trick. She turned away and rolled her eyes, eating what she had the stomach to.

She frowned as she thought of Flynn. Perhaps he'd had stew just like this on the battlefield. The fact that she'd never received another letter from him made her heart feel cold, and she set down her bowl, about half the content still there. "Flynn..." she said softly. "I miss you..."

The Fox had been close behind her close enough to hear when she whispered his name. For a moment he thought that something had gone wrong and she had seen his face, however when he heard the rest of her comment he relaxed. As he relaxed he began to wonder where this girl knew him from, and was it him that she was thinking of when she was pining for a Flynn. He came over to her sitting down and looked at her face. “Who is this Flynn that you are missing? Some high born prince that you hope will come and protect you?”

She sent him a particularly withering look and turned her head away from "the Fox." With as much dignity as she could muster, and as much courage she said, "It's rude to interject into one's private thoughts," she said. "But Flynn is no prince, though I imagine he would try to rescue me if he were still..." She paused for a moment and closed her eyes, taking a breath. "If he were still alive. But Flynn is none of your concern," she said glaring at him. "In any case, he was far kinder to me than you are."

She sighed and hunched her shoulders in the chill of the night, craning toward the fire. "He was a dear friend of mine..." and then she stopped, shutting out the rest of the world as she tried her very best not to let down her guard in front of this irreverent, mocking stranger. Her very best friend, even when she had been in the castle, was dead. And though they had led separate lives, she had kept her promise to him, and done her very best to remember where it was she came from, and the people she protected.

Aria sighed and remembered once again his face and the strength of his hands with fondness. Yes. Surely Flynn would have saved her if she had been taken away like this. At least he would be out looking for her. But that was a flight of fancy. The only ones who could help her now where her father and her uncle, and she wondered if either of them would even be aware of her plight until morning. Finally, after a long moment, Aria came back to the present and cleared her throat.

The Fox had to step back from the sight of her lost in thought. There was no question now, this was Aria. This beautiful woman with the noble baring was his dear friend from when they were children. He was glad she was lost in thought for so long because it gave him a moment to cover his reaction. If she ever found out who he was, she would be in danger. He never even thought for a moment that she would give him up to the royals worried only about her and the desire to protect her. he turned and stepped off into the wood disappearing as she came back to the present. He needed to think, it made sense that she would be the one heading up the charity for the needy, it was just like her but now…he sighed as he stared back at the camp from the shelter of the woods. He would not return before the next morning when they were getting ready to leave.

When the beautiful noble snapped back to reality, the Fox was gone. Good riddance, she thought to herself. After all, what was he but a tormentor? She frowned and shook her head. Those were ugly thoughts that may not have been deserved, but, without her, valuable time and resources were probably being wasted in town. And who knew what kind of law they would try to pass in her absence? Without her there to block it, and to sway the other votes...She closed her eyes and sighed, shivering. At the request of she and a hand full of ladies in the group, the hostages were allowed to settle closer to the fire.

Aria noted that the notorious leader of the group had not yet returned when it was late that night. Where had he gone to, anyway? She frowned, unsure what to think of him. He said he was a champion of the people, and so their goal was ultimately the same, but they went about it in very different ways. It just so happened that his way suffered her and her fellow captives to be uncomfortable, frightened (for a number of reasons), and hopeless.

She sighed again and lean against another woman back to back to try and sleep comfortably. It worked to a certain extent, but they both had fitful sleep and eventually broke off the arrangement to sleep on the ground. Aria was still asleep when the fox returned to camp.

Back
Top Bottom