Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Vengeful Enchanter

Kayito-san

Super-Earth
"Doulcipriet!"

One of the villagers exploded into a fine pink mist, his clothes tearing apart and falling to the ground, his axe dropping into the soil near Moss' feet. Those behind him slowed. One of them hiccuped, turned, and threw up. The rest backed down the hill a few feet, looking wearily at one another. Moss stood above them at the entrance of his home, atop a densely treed hill. He peered down at them, eyebrows furrowed. "Who's next? I could do this all day." he announced, straightening his stance. He brought his free hand above his head, fingers spread. "My home shall not be vilified by your collective naivety any longer. I am the keeper of this land, and my word is law! Am I understood!?" A couple of the villagers nodded.

There was a commotion, and a priest emerged from the front of the mob, his black cloak flowing about his ankles. "Magician of the hill– you have brought Satan upon our lands!" broadcast the priest. Upon mention of 'Satan', several villagers looked at one another in alarm, but so continued the priest: "Not once have you attended the Church and confessed your sins! Not once have you prostrated yourself unto God! You have shown but blatant disregard for our Lord! For that, ye shall pay! We have no tolerance for your ungodly kin, and we will have you destroyed for your insolence!" The priest stood, his stance strong and proud, his bible held tightly to his chest.

"You blame me for your drought? You dare accuse me of removing your supply of water? You have brought yourself upon my land– all of this– without my permission, expect me to pay tribute to you and your God? Satan–" Moss smirked, "I have wrought no such deity upon these lands. However, lest you desist from your aggressions, I will bring upon you this Satan. Leave these lands at once, or upon you shall pour my fury."

The Priest looked on with increasing anger. He took a step forward, drew his cross, and screamed at the Mage, "May Hell sow upon you the greatest vengeance of God, foul wretch! I will not rest until you are vanqui––" Moss slammed the cabin door closed, and uttered several words. The door disappeared, a stone barricade appearing in its place. He would have nothing else from those vile people. The villagers were not bad people, but their naivety had been abused by the town priests. The 'church' had moved in several years ago and had immediately begun to frighten the villagers with tales of 'hell' and 'punishment', threatening them until not a single man, woman or child abstained from church ceremony. It sickened him. It was but through the greedy nature of the priests, whom had abused the passages of their own Holy Book, that had brought fear into the hearts of the simple villagers.

Immediately, he began preparations. Upon the stone platform in the centre of the room he drew various symbols and curves in chalk. He skimmed his library, drew his hand up, and a book flew from the shelf to greet his palm. He opened it, and the pages turned themselves until at last the incantation appeared before him. And so he began:

Me revenga y sult,
Vicious daemon y culpal,
O! daemon dan Helvetes,
Me gratuia vos proprietas;

Corps Infernal!

Suddenly, a great red light shone from the granite platform, and Moss opened his arms wide to accept his summons. The priest had accused him of bringing Satan to the lands– and Moss had surely met their expectations...

The demon realm was no more hell then the upper realm was heaven. It had been around since the beginning of time the infernal, and the Celestial. They did not have one god or one devil, as a matter of fact 'hell' had several rulers and there wasn't really a Lucifer to be mentioned. Demons were far too petty and self interested to let one being rule over all of them. Azalea didn't know about the Celestial beings, and quite frankly she didn't care.

Back in the days before organized religion one grew used to watching the portals of mages filling the sky, calling to those who got caught up in them. Granted most of the time they got nothing more then an imp or some of the more animalistic demons that tended to posses weak willed humans. However not many had managed to summon a cognitive demon, a humanoid who could speak and interact as well as the mages that summoned them that was what he managed to get a hold of.

As the red light began to dim what appeared to be a mostly nude female figure took shape. She had long dark hair dull from lack of feeding but still thick and healthy. Her skin was a sickly white color so pale you could almost make out the veins running beneath the surface of her skin. Small horns seemed to sprout from the top of her head and a long whip like tail and wings finished the rather unimpressive demoness. She blinked solid black eyes at the mage cocking her head to the side and grinned displaying sharper then average teeth but they were lovely to behold.

"What is this I spy?" she murmured her voice sounding like leaves rustling over the ground. "A mage after so long? I was beginning to believe you'd all died out, killed by the priests are their supposedly divine powers." she crossed her arms over her chest and waved a hand so she was clothed, her nudity seemed to bother some of the more prudish mages. Dressed in a dark dress now she stepped off the granite circle and eyed him with a mixture of interests and more then a little menace. Demons didn't like being summoned, it pissed more then a few of them off and she was no different. However like all demons she hid it, waiting to hear what he wanted before deciding what to do.

Moss clapped his hands together. "Ah. I'm delighted to see that I've summoned what I assume to be a demon of power. I have a most fascinating proposition for you, and I do believe you will find it most promising. You see I have a problem involving some… priests. Priests of a modern religion– they have been using their supposed divinity to usurp power from me. And what I'd like you to do, most graciously, is to kill, maim, devour, desecrate, anything you please to these foul priests. I want you to expose their powerlessness. Does this sound like something you might like to do, o demoness? I should think it would. You may keep any spoils you reap from these priests. Power, souls if that's what you're after. My request maintains that you kill only one priest per day and refrain from harming the villagers, and that you return here each night. My disagreement is with the priests of the village only. This may change but for the time being kindly meet my restrictions and I will see to it that you get to kill several times.

How does that sound?"

"You're giving me permission to kill priests?" she cocked her head to the side. "This is very interesting indeed. One a day until they're all dead. Tis...doable I suppose. Those Celstial worshippers need to be knocked down a few pegs." licking her lips her eyes seemed to glow with some intense hunger for the souls of those who deemed themselves pure." Circling around him slowly her tail brushed along his spine testing for any sign of fear, when she found none she locked eyes with him and nodded.

"Very well I accept your terms human mage. Just tell me how many priests there are and I shall do away with them one at a time. It will be easy enough. Those who hide behind thier faith are often weak and cowardly." laughing softly she sat down on a nearby chair and crossed her legs. "Do you wish me to start right away? Or wait until a new day?" Azalea was starving but since she had agreed to the mage's terms she was under his control until such a time as he decided to release her.

He hesitated. "Ah, there's one thing I forgot, I should have considered. We want to leave one priest alive. Just one, so he can pass on the message to other colonies. Don't you agree? Two birds with one stone, as it were. You might even have some new targets if he decides to bring reinforcements. But I digress. We'll wait until tomorrow to begin your slaughter. For the time being, you will be helping me with incantations and some alchemical transmutations that I've been working on. Follow my instructions, if you please, most of it won't take long but I'm willing to part with some of the results if you prove useful."

The book closed and returned itself to the bookshelf, and an adjacent book took its place in Moss' hands. "Ah, here it is. Ingredients fresh water, lime, pinch of gold, one iron disc, three handfuls of salt– ah, salt… I'd almost forgotten. Can demons still not cross salt, er…" Moss rubbed his chin, "How should I call, you demon? Do you have a title, a name?" He flipped a few pages and read it quietly. This particular alchemical construct could be used to measure the proprieties of a demon.

She didn't like the idea of letting one priest go, they tended to go all viglante on her. Then she had to kill them anyways just to prove a point. Still she understood his reasons for it and nodded once again before sighing dramatically. "If you wish, I do hope he dosen't go all self righteous on us if I do let him live. Then I'll have to kill him anyways." yawning softly her eyes flashed at the idea of having to assit him with wretched tasks but once again she had no choice.

"My name is Azalea, that is what the first human who called me named me. You do not get to know my true name, but I am certain you already know that. As for the salt as long as it's not blessed, yes I can cross it. Granted it itches like all hell and tends to leave marks on my feet." she wiggled her petite toes to prove a point. "I'm stronger then the average summoned demon mage."

The mage gave an impressed little, "Huh." Moss reviewed the page. "Good, I won't have you fetch the salt anyways, but some demons are said to be picky when it comes to handling materials. I'm glad to see you aren't one of those. There is a are chest against the wall across from the fireplace. If you could gather the following: There's a black silk bag full of gold powder, a blue lockbox, and there on the side ought to be a few thin bars of magnesium, if you could please set those upon the table there."

Moss himself turned and opened a cabinet, and began sifting through various small cupboards. He retrieved a few small items, various rocks and semiprecious stones, and a candle. He glanced at the demon. Moss was rather young for a mage, but he was well versed in the ways of magic, and was actually quite confident in his abilities. Another book floated from the shelf, and flipped itself open. He glanced at the demon again and then at the book. Moss ran his finger about the grid on the page: humanoid, black hair, very pale, lesser horns, whip-tail, wings… 573. The book flipped to page 573. Moss frowned. The page had very little to say about this particular type of demon, but it did feature female and male variants, which was unusual because most of the time in the book, demons were sexed separately. He rubbed his chin and read a few of the observational notes. They weren't particularly optimistic, nor were they helpful. He closed the book and it put itself away. "You're… fairly high up in the food chain, Azalea? How is the Netherworld, by the way? Still the same scenic um… stalactites?" he muttered, setting his ingredients onto the table.

Standing up she pushed the chair back with her tail and wandered over to the otherside of the room. It wasn't all that difficult to locate the items he wanted and she quickly gathered him in her arms. Azalea had extensive knowledge of human alchemy and she wasn't at all familer with this spell. Must be some sort of variaton on something a bit more old school she thought to herself. Stupid humans and thier tendency to advance to fast for thier tiny minds to keep up. Setting them down on the table she sat peered at him and laughed softly.

"More or less, the netherworld doesn't chance much. Unlike this world, we've found a system that works for us and most aren't inclined to change with the times. We Infernals are quite stuck in our ways you know." Sitting on the edge of the table with her legs crossed she watched him with something akin to interest. "What is it your working on human? I don't believe I know of this mixture is it new? Or have I lost touch with humanity again?" her wings fluttered behind her a bit pathetically. It seemed she had no desire to tell him just how powerful she was. After all she blatently ignored the question in favor for the other one.

"Ah," grumbled Moss, and explained, "Well, it's sort of… new I suppose. Mostly though, the ingredients here are alchemical supersets of the basic ingredients used in this concoction. It makes it easier to produce complex synthesies when the ingredients have themselves been alchemically reduced. This particular um… device, we'll say, consisted originally of several dozen different types of ingredients, but I've managed to reduce it to fewer."

The enchanter hummed a tune as he mixed a few of the ingredients, which soon began to react. He opened the blue lockbox and retrieved some pungent, deep emerald green powder and sprinkled it atop the gold, which began to sizzle as they reacted. He bent the strip of magnesium into a ring, shaping it around his finger, then, using one white stone that had been sharpened to a point, carved a few symbols into the strip. He grabbed another stone and placed it near the seam of the ring, sprinkled some of the formerly gold powder into the centre of the ring, lit the candle and dripped some wax onto the ring's seam. Suddenly the ring and ingredients caught fire for a few short moments, until what was left was a thick, shiny black ring. Moss slipped it on his finger and smiled. "Thank you for your help," he said, "Azalea." The black ring silently changed to a yellow-orange colour for a brief moment before fading back to black.

"Very clever human." she responded after listening to his explination. "You must've been at the top of your class as a boy huh?" she continued to watch him work until the entire ordeal was over with. In it's place there was a very simple looking ring, but she could tell there was more to it then met the eyes. She could sense the power emitting from the small boubble. It wasn't a binding spell or at least no one she knew, it appeared to be something more.

Now the demoness was observant enough to notice the ring changing color upon the mention of her name. Interesting really, it was a power mesauring device. "There is no need to thank me, I am merely doing as you wish." she said sitting back down. "It is part of my contract is it not?" smiling a bit. A smile was odd on a demon because it was merely something they didn't do without reason. Azalea knew he was trying to figure out how strong she was. However while on the human plane she was fuctioning on less then half of her normal power. It would slowly rise as she killed those who she was contracted to kill.

Moss chuckled. "Thank you. A compliment from a demon, that's rather rare isn't it?" he muttered, smiling a bit. "As a matter of fact, no. Most of what I learned, I learned out of interest. My classes were in projection, which became a bit of a dead art with the introduction of crystal balls and soothsaying potions. Still, it's nice to know, I suppose, that I'm not handicapped by the need for such items." He walked back to his desk and opened a drawer, retrieving a thin, shiny black rod. "Your contract," he began. He stretched his arms and held the black rod much in the same way as a pen or wand. "… is on variable terms, is it? I suppose, as a human, I am expected to take advantage of your sincerest offer." Moss smiled and cocked his head, and pulled the ring off of his finger. He placed the ring loosely around the end of the black rod, which grew thin filaments that touched the inside of the ring and held it suspended around the rod. "Not unless the contract is bound," he said, "With an exemptive component. Should our contract expire, you having completed the task or me having dismissed it, I don't want to find myself with an overpowered demon bearing her teeth towards me." He pointed the device at Azalea and the ring turned red. Moss's eyebrows nearly leapt off his face. "My, you're hardly shy of a demigod. This might even suggest that you were." he said, his voice showing a degree of surprise and excitement. He put the ring-wand down, retrieved the ring and slid it back onto his finger. He raised his hand to her. "Perhaps I will take advantage, Azalea. But don't try any funny-business. I will be at all times aware if you attempt to lay a curse or hex or charm. Now, something I've always wanted to try, for better or worse, is this particular summons." A book flew from the shelf into his hand, and flipped open. He cleared his throat and began to read. "To appearify a Tome of Secrets, requires: Two eyes of goat. One tongue of pig. A bowl of mercury. Two drops human blood. And," he glanced up at her, "A demon's tear. You're bound by contract, demon, and it would not be wise to attempt revenge. I'd like you to help me acquire the last ingredient, but as with most such concoctions, and I've tried this summons before, the more powerful the demon, the greater the Secrets."

"It depends on if the demon is sincere or not." she responded after a moment grinning still. "Projection? That was a very common practice such a shame it became obsolete. I used to have the most fasinating conversations with seers. Always living in a diffrent state of mind they are. Surprisingly hard to fool despite it all." it was a random comment but older demons tended to have wandering minds. It made them quite a bit more dangerous. It meant they'd lived a long time and agreed to many contracts and somehow gotten out of every single one they didn't like. Azalea raised an eyebrow and the ring and chuckled.

"My, My it seems I underestimated your little toy. It gives you my proper power level rather then the one I'm at now. Bravo." she applauded and her eyes flashed dangerously at the demand for a tear. "That is not something a demon gives lightly human. You're asking me for something that is a very potent ingrediant. A demon's tear, is hard to find and even harder to make. We do not feel sorrow as you know, nor do we feel true happiness and passion. It's more of.....an alchemical process. I am going to have to make the tear for you. Or have another of my kind do it for you. Are you willing to wait a few hours?"

Moss raised his finger, "Only yours will do," he said, "And I will be observing the process so that you don't provide me with some pathetic ghoul's tear or other nonsense." He uttered some words and with the wand, drew some symbols in the air. A tiny point of light appeared at the wand's tip, and it slowly grew into a purple eyeball. The eyeball stared, unblinking, at Moss. He pressed the other end of the wand down on the table, and the base of the wand sank into the wood. The ring sank to about halfway down the rod, and the eye slowly turned to point towards Azalea. Moss closed his eyes and pressed the palm of his hand against the top of the fleshy purple eyeball. The eyeball turned white and then morphed until it mimicked Moss' own eye colour. He smiled. "I will be keeping an eye on you," he said, "And I want to assure you that I won't be fooled by demon tricks." Moss pointed to the ring, which was still glowing mildly red. With that, he bowed to her and headed to the door, "I will be retrieving ingredients for tonight's supper. I expect to be back at sunset. Good luck Azalea."

Rolling her eyes at his paranoia she glared at the floating eye for several minutes before turning her back to it. A small stick of silver chalk appeared in her hand and she began to sketch demonic ruins around her body. They were complex and seemed to stream together in one large band that to a human eye would merely blur into lines. A few more waves of one long fingered hand and she began to sprinkle several diffrent types of dust and material in the center of the circle right in front of her.

It was at this point she finally sat crosslegged in the center and held her hands apart forming a circle which the ingridiants floated into and she began to sing. It was a soft song in some long forgotten launguage and the ingridiants swirled and pulsed. The song continued and the matter in which she manipulated slowly began to take on the form of a single tear drop. It was larger then a human tear almost crytalline and as it began to solidify she pricked her finger and a drop of blood frooze in the center. A single demon tear drop had been created after several hours of work. She seemed paler, thinner then before. Such magic was very draining when one hadn't fed. "There is your tear drop." she snapped tiredly at the floating eye. "I'm going to sleep now.."

Back
Top Bottom