Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Lost time... (LoneXpony)

Ryan stood outside the castle with his scythe and armor on. It bore the crest of his king on the chest place as it was heavy plate, a very strong defense against those that attacked and tried to fight him. ~I wonder what is wrong with the sacred ground. My majesty didn't like the news he was given by his trusted messengers that travel his kingdom. It was said to be attacked by some being or beings the shrine itself was completely destroyed. This is a horrible portent and I need to investigate on the king's behalf since he has trusted me with this important task!~ His thoughts sold like the ground that lay before him stretching out to the horizon he took his first steps from the draw bridge out toward the castle town that awaited.

When he stepped beyond the walls that protected the bustling village that sat at the base below the castle his eyes began to walk the steps that the messengers told where the sacred shrine was at. It was near mountains on the far west side of the kingdoms on the edge of it. The king found it soothing and relaxing when he would visit searching for his inner light. Ryan admitted to also finding his inner light at this holy place which was another drive for him besides his duty, whoever disturbed their sacred ground or destroyed it would be dealt with severely.

It would take him a couple days to arrive at the site though he knew he was there when there were winding steps up a very steep hill that could almost be considered a mountain. It was the ascending walk that the king would feel as if he was touching the heavens when he walked it. Though when Ryan would jog his memory of this wonderful event when he got half way up the stairs his eyes picked up what believed to be smoke. This quickened his pace as his hair and his armor clanged along in a hurried pace. His eyes fixated on the smoke as the trail began to follow back to the original source. When it balloned and began to quickly sink onto the building suddenly he saw it: the sacred ground was not only disturbed but nearly destroyed! Ryan couldn't believe how angry he had gotten in such a short period of time over the loss of his holy shrine.

What made him even more angry is that he saw the priestess that had attended to the shrine's needs every day laying amongst the rubble unconscious though he didn't know the extent of her injuries. When he walked over to her he quickly got down and shook her a little though not enough to hopefully hurt whatever was hurting but enough to hope that he could help her regain her consciousness again. "Priestess please come to me! I wish to know what happened!", He said in a pleading voice as if he spoke to god himself.

Ariella lay there unconscious her silvery gray hair lay around her head like a fan, her robe was torn from the rubble that left her in this less than pleasant state. Her eyes quivered when he shook her frail body, her fingers twitched slightly. She tried to open her mouth to speak but all that came was croak, she had been laying there like this for a few days now. Her eyes opened a little bit not that it did her any good, but at least he would know she was still very much alive.
She needed rest as well as food and water or she might very well die. She normally could heal herself but she was too weak. She used what little energy she had left to reach up and lightly touch his face before she fell unconscious yet again. Her mind wandered to where it always did anytime she slept she was forced to relive the night her parents were murdered. Her mother was making dinner and her father was playing with her by the fire. When the creature came. The creature killed her father first then her mother. Then he turned looking her in the eyes. She raised her hand screaming to use the spell her father had taught her but he cast a spell to reflect the pure light directly in her eyes blinding her.
She started crying out in her sleep and squirming fighting trying to wake up. she was covered in sweat and tears.

Ryan frowned, "Priestess Ariella, you were badly injured and the king would want to know of this.." he said to himself literally knowing she was passed out. He picked up the girl though being gentle as he had his scythe on his back heading from the holy site since she needed attention he would bring her to a nearby village that seemed to be on her words but without her they might be lost. So he would have them take care of her while he stay there protecting the village since they were a 'gateway' toward the shrine itself. It was odd to be protecting somebody else besides the king...but he would adjust since it was just as important to the king as himself.

Reaching the bottom of the stairs he moved past the arch way heading toward the village as his armor clanged together with his movements. His eyes never left her body or her face making sure that she had some movement in her so that he could tell if she hadn't left the plane yet or not. When he finally arrived most of the townspeople were out and when he walked into the village itself most of them had stopped what they had been doing at the time and ran to her. Most of them were stunned and awe shocked at the fact that their priestess was injured and unconscious since she had healing powers. The elder believed this was a very powerful evil that attacked her shrine since she was a powerful priestess as he had the royal guard and her enter his hut. This was where they did the most they could with what healing they had mastered as a village. When she lay on the hay that the elder had put he began to give her food and water while healing what injuries that she couldn't herself. Ryan unable to really stay in one place or inside of a hut feeling like he could be missing something stayed outside with his scythe nearby.

If there was to be something to attack he would be ready for it and wouldn't falter since it was the king's will on the line. Anything that was apart of the king was his highest priority and that wouldn't go without saying even his family wouldn't be as important.

Ariella sat up suddenly screaming loudly, she soon stopped and started panting heavily. She shook her head reaching up holding her head she was shaking so hard. "I need some water. Then if one of you could bring me a staff." she said softly. She slowly and shakily turned her body so her feet were resting on the cool earth. She focused her energy to try to find her shrine it had indeed been destroyed as she feared. She slowly tried to stand but found she did not yet have the strength for such activity "will you bring the one that pulled me from the ruins. I must speak with him" she said softly. She felt around and found a blanket to cover her shoulders with since she was a bit chilled from the sweat of the nightmare. She had much she would need and much she needed to figure out at least as far as what happened. She needed herbs to make her potions and supplies for the long journey she knew would be coming. She needed to hunt down these creatures that attacked her home, she wanted things right now that a priestess shouldn't she felt hate, anger, and craved revenge. Her thin transparent wings turned a dark marroon

The elder blinked and nodded quickly at how she was managing to come out of it so quickly. Suddenly she was bombared with some water and food as well as the man that helped her. He stood in front of her at his 6'5" height as he looked down at her. "Priestess Ariella...", He stood there in awe as he watched her for a moment longer before going to a knee and bowing before her. Unknown that she had lost her sight all he knew that was he wanted to respect her like he respected the king which treat her like royalty which he had no problems for. "How are you faring after you horrible experience my priestess...?", He asked as he kept his stance waiting for her to release him from it as it felt like she was the only one besides the king that could make him move like that.

She opened her eyes revealing that they were pitch black except for the pupils that were a pale gray. "I do not like formalities I think they are foolish. My name is Ariella I prefer to be called by my name." she said softly. She knew he probably huge compared to her since she stood at 5 feet tall and barely weighing 90 pounds. She held her head high "I need a variety of herbs and boiling water along with as many vials as you can find. Along with a staff." she said softly. She grabbed the wall trying to pull herself off the makeshift bed. "thank you for helping me all of you." she said. She looked vacantly forward she extended her hand out towards where she heard his voice she was trying to find him she would need help getting around for now at least. "what may I call you and will you please come to me I can't quite reach you.

Ryan nodded, "Alright Ariella. I don't know of which these herbs would be I am a simple but very strong guard of the royalty." He said as he came closer to her putting her hand on his chest plate, "I am Sir Ryan. Or since you don't like formalities Ryan." He said looking down at her as he watched her get used to the environment but with dismay that her vision might have failed her due to the attack. "Your eyes...do you not have vision?", He asked as he watched her.

Ariella bowed her head and nodded in response to his question "I lost it when I was a small child. As for the herbs have the town healer fetch his supply of them and I will give him instruction for my needs. But do not fear for me I have been taking care of myself with out sight for many years." She said softly with a slight smile. Her wings turned a soft spring green. "I have much to do before we can be on our way to track down these creatures. If you would not mind fetching me a long slender staff. We will be on our way to go inform the king of what has happened."s he said softly.

Ryan nodded, "Right away" he stepped out of the hut gathering the local healer which had been well in formed of her healing capabilities and the need for some supplies. While he went out to get some Ryan looked around the village for a staff that maybe somebody knew how to craft which ended up on the elder's hands. He knew how to craft and imbue the staff with magical energies, however he needed the guidance of the participant. The elder went up to her and asked what she would need to have the staff imbued with before he could begin, once the process was started on the item it couldn't be reversed. Ryan above all of this watched over them like a guardian angel protecting the one he was supposed to protect.

Ariella turned towards the voice of the elder "I just need the staff I can take care of the rest myself I prefer to connect directly with my things. That way they respond only to me" she said softly she reached out her hand and he eventually handed it to her. She closed her eyes focusing all her energy on it. The top of the staff started to change bending and twisting forming almost a bowl at the top silvery green vines twisted up the staff and embedded in the wood itself but still held their color. Small runes started to etch themselves in it's shaft, suddenly there was a flash and a moonstone had formed in the bowl at the top. She opened her eyes and slowly felt the staff admiring her work.

Ryan and the elder stood awe struck as they watched her create her staff in front of them. "Good work.." Ryan managed to spit out in a blurt as he stared at her strength in the magical arts. It was just only crafting a magical item but she had a certain touch to it that seemed like she really cared about how much she put into it. "That is a very beautiful staff Ariella" Ryan said smiling bowing a little showing support as the elder smiled watching her. Ryan knew that once the healer had everything and she was comfortable with her staff they would have to set out as soon as possible. The king was going to be furious about his sacred ground being defiled and his priestess nearly killed, he would be in arms against any nation that boarded them if they attacked his shrine. Ryan's duty was to report the problem and save his priestess which he had done, now the next part was to secure her passage to his castle for safety.

Ariella directed the healer on which herbs she wanted all she really needed him for was to hand her the correct ingredients. She soon finished a series of potions taking a small dose of one immediately. "I do need a small pack for my potions and then we may head out to inform the king. We will prepare track down these creatures once we report to him." she said softly. She did miss her old staff it had been with her since she first lost her sight, it had been her father's it had been black with glowing white runes in it now it was gone destroyed for sure in the raid of the shrine. She had a few items that belonged to her parents left, but they were kept on her at all times. "thank you Ryan." she said softly.

Ryan smiled despite that she couldn't see possibly feel his emotions the elder nodded as he looked to the healer. The healer in kind then went out to gather the item she had requested while putting all of the other items in the pack of her direction. Ryan just over saw this little bit as he looked toward her, "You ready to take the long travel back to the castle Ariella?" He asked her as he didn't have a steed since his armor put a couple horses out of commission. They needed a stronger breed of animal to deal with how much armor he wore on his person at a time.

She nodded "yes I am ready." she said softly to him "thank you all of you for all your help" she handed the elder one of the potions "lightly sprinkle this over all your crops and your food will be plentiful this season." she said softly. She used her staff to help her find her way out of the hut she had been treated in. "we can not move too fast for lack of sight" she said softly. She walked along reasonably swiftly but gracefully each step flowed as smoothly as wind through the grass. "so tell about yourself since we have a long walk ahead of us." she said softy. She enjoyed getting to know people.

Ryan smiled, "I was just a small youthful child when I came into his majesty's employ however I was deteremined. I wasn't very popular with the female populus as I normally was on my studies." He explained so far waving at the elder as he smiled thanking Ariella as they walked toward the castle. Ryan had his eyes out as he continued some as he frowned, "my mother and father live in the castle town that my majesty resides however they are poor and unable to be recognized since I am not offically connected to the royalty in the castle. I don't struggle but my wealth doesn't extend to them despite my pleas to include them. They grew me into the man I am now.." He said softly as he walked down the path having a little trouble moving with her due to his armor. Though everytime he stepped it feels like a elephant was stomping behind her. Ryan's armor was that heavy that it would make it makes his feet sound like heavy anvils.

Ariella nodded but looked some what displeased "I suppose I should have a word with his majesty on your parents after all if they raised such a brave and loyal soldier such as yourself they should be honored. I assure you I will be able to convince if he wishes to continue to have my blessings....Your armor sounds a bit heavy, let me see if I can make it a bit quieter and lighter for you." she said softly. She turned around and reached out slowly seeking his chest plate and finally found it "try to relax" she whispered. She closed her eyes focusing little thin lines of white streaked over the armor polishing and leaving beautiful designs like royalty might wear almost looked like it was made more for decoration. It became about four times lighter and if it moved it would not make a sound but was even stronger than before. "that is my gift to you. No one but those of your blood may wear this now." she said softly. She pulled her hand away and continued feeling her way along the path.

Ryan knelt behind her despite her not turning around, "Thank you very much....My..." he coughed some not used to addressing her without being polite or extremely formal. "Ariella..." He stood back up almost feeling like he was naked but not since he could see the thick metal and the designs were very beautifully done. It was like she was a craftsman that made her very special which made him look at her in awe. "So...Ariella how did you lose your sight so long ago...?" He felt silly asking her that but he was curious as his parents had raised a kid that was very into everything. Ryan's eyes wanted to go everywhere they could which how he got noticed for his swordsman skills etc. Though it was due to his sneaking into the castle which he won't admit to anybody.

Ariella inhaled and paused her movement for a moment hearing his question though that day had haunted her dreams most every night since it happened she had never truly spoken of it at least not more than a few words. "I was punished for wanting revenge or at least that's what priestess that took me in told me. Though I do not fully understand how the desire to avenge an act so horrid would be considered punishable...."she paused fading off into the memory it was like she was back to that day she was standing over her father and mothers bodies. She shook her head to snap out of it. "I was...6 when I lost my parents and my sight" she said softly. She continued walking slowly "we were attacked by a creature that I'm sure is little different than the ones that destroyed my home. It murdered my parents right in front of me...and I attacked it."

Ryan frowned looking down some as if he stood before the parents themselves and prayed for them. "I see that must of been hard" he said as he looked ahead walking beside her. "The king will take you in and protect you. If ...you wish to talk about my own parents thank you Ariella. My mother and father would be very supportive of what you want to propose to him." He said thanking her as he held his hand to his hilt of his sword that was at his hip. He was ready to attack at any moment despite how peaceful it was.

She let a faint smile flow across her lips before it quickly faded "it is not protection that I seek. I need a place to prepare we have a war against these creatures weather we accept it or not. They are not going to back down they will destroy everything until there is nothing left." she said softly "I'm not going to let them do what they did to my family anymore." she said softly. She kept moving. "I will see to it that your family is honored first thing when I get there." she said softly. She sighed softly "I have much to do once I get to the castle." she said firmly "so we best keep moving." she sped up the pace a bit as she felt her way around.

Ryan nodded, "I apologize for seeming that you just want protection though you wish war on these creatures? We do not how they strike and what they are made of. They only attacked you and left destroying your shrine Ariella how will we chase ghosts?" He asked more questions his mind unable to grasp such creatures that could exist outside normal animals. Ryan knew of the nature that surround them like a blanket nestled within however everything else supernatural like her powers were very alien to him. It was a strange land that was across the ocean that he wishes to traverse but every time he had tried he would be pushed back.

"I know much of these creatures I studied them a great deal in my time at the shrine and my previous homes. they will attack at our weakest areas the commoners that on the outskirts are targets first and they move in from there." she said softly "i will teach you what I can but this will be difficult. I do not expect you to follow me through this journey it is your choice and your risk. You must make the choice for yourself and your own reasons." she said softly. She held onto her staff tightly she knew she most likely would be in this on her own and if she was lucky one other.

Ryan frowned, "I will do my best Ariella and if I manage to figure out this and learn it with you I will go to the ends of the earth for you so you can have your peace. Of course if you wish to have me along and if the king wishes; despite it all I will do my best to accompany you on this quest." He said as they made their way down the path the sun slowly heading toward the horizon as Ryan couldn't believe that they had been traveling that much since his armor was so light he didn't even feel that tired from normally walking the distance they were doing.

"I would enjoy the company, but the kings orders will make no difference I am making this your choice. It is your life you risk and your choice." she said softly. "I need to rest again I still recover from the attack and I am sure the long journey has made you weary." she said softly. She felt around finding a boulder to sit on she opened her pack and pulled out some dates, she held some out to him "eat you need your strength" she said softly nibbling on her own. It felt good to sit again though she knew she would rest better once these creatures were gone and the people were safe again.

Ryan nodded, "Of course Ariella" he said as he went over to her sitting down with her taking some eating them. He ate them politely knowing he was among royalty most of his life due to how he ate. Ryan laid back onto the tree behind him as he looked out at the nature around them as he looked back up at her, "may I ask you a question?" he asked softly as he ate some more of his food glancing at his armor then back at her, "how did you make my armor light and ...the decorations. Not that I am complaining I like what you have done I just am so curious." He said admitting as he sat there eating some more.

Back
Top Bottom