Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Laird of the Land (buttefly0408/kolath)

He didn't see her, but she was watching him. It frustrated her to no end how he not only acted like nothing ever happened that day in the woods... even if she had been trying to forget it. He have kept the promise. She could not forget his kiss. Seeing him befriending her brother did not bother her. It was the way he mocked them both by training Flynn like he would be a laird again one day. That was not going to happen and it was like an insult to injury. The people here were so nice, but Blair decided they had no choice. They had to get out of here.

Waiting until he was away from Kael, Blair pulled Flynn aside, taking him back to her room and closing the door. "We are going to escape from this place..." she told him point blank.

Flynn had been on his way back to his room after a hard day working on his swordsmanship. He didn’t understand why Kael was teaching him everything that he would need one day to be a Laird but he was loving it. he found that he loved working on the long sheets of reports and understanding the proper order of taxes even more then the sword play. He gasped and turned to his sister when she pulled him into her room brushing his hand down the arm that she had used to pull him there. “We what? Why are you talking like that Blair?”

She was shocked he didn't agree with her at the moment she said it, "Why? Flynn, we don't belong here. We are not Sutherland's and the only reason they hold us it to keep our own family in check." That and it was not going to be forever before she ended up prey to his kisses once again. "This place is not our home. We have already delayed long enough. We must find a way of escape."

Flynn frowned slightly biting his lower lip looking at his sister. “But Blair…don’t you like it here? I mean you remember how it was when we went to visit the other Ross lairds.” He sighed and shook his head, “We weren’t treated any differently by anyone, I mean…I was always the second born son and you were always a daughter. Here it feels like I’m somebody not because of my birth but because of who I am. Isn’t it the same way for you?”

She sighed a little and shook her head, "Flynn, it's like... like they are mocking us. Kael pretends that you are training to take your lands back but you and I both know that won't ever happen. He knows it too. We just...." she tried to pretend like the way they had been accepted here did not make her feel hesitant, "we can't stay here. Flynn..." she had to tell him, "Kael kissed me. He kissed me... I don't know. Like I belonged to him." She shivered with the memory. "He'll kiss me again if we stay."

Flynn’s eyes opened wider as she said that a bit shocked. He got a little angry and then stopped for a moment thinking things through before looking at her. “Did he do anything else Blair? If he did anything to you we need to do more than just escape.” There was something in the back of his mind that said there was no way that Kael would do anything to take liberty of his sister. but he needed to hear it from both of them.

"No! Oh lord no Flynn," she said, a little surprised to hear her little brother go to that place. "No, he did nothing and... I will confess, I don't think he would. Not without permission, but if he kisses me enough something could happen. And it's not like... like," why was she suddenly thinking of the possibility that if she did sleep with him he would ever do right by her. "It's not like he'd every do the things he would never to make me an honest woman if that DID happen. I'd be no better then his leman at best."

Flynn nodded slowly his mind having grown sharper and up to his years and beyond in the few days that he had been under Kael’s wing. He was already able to think through things like an adult on so many levels. He smiled and came over brushing his hand over her cheek. “Ok Blair if it makes you feel better I will help you attempt a escape. I want what is best for you after all.” He smiled and hugged her close. “Now any ideas how we should go about it?”

She sighed and sat on the bed, "That's the problem... I don't know. I just... I know we have to get out of here. The sooner the better. They let us walk about freely. That might be key here. If we both have a day when we can get away, we can just run for it." Realizing she had not thought this through much, she wondered how stupid she sounded right then.

He smiled and came and sat beside her brushing his hand over her hair lightly. “shhh its ok let me look around and see what I can find for a way to get us both out of her ok?” he smiled and wrapped his arms around her kissing her hair in the most brotherly way. “I will take care of it Blair just be ready when I come for you.”

She smiled a little at him, "Since when are you the one taking care of me?" she said with a light smile.

"I'm younger, but I am the man of the family. It's time I started to act like it." He rose then and held her hand, "I have an idea, but I want to look into it a little more first. Give me a day or two and in the meantime, you look for openings as well." With that he rose and left her room.

Flynn was smarter then even he gave himself credit. He did have a plan starting to form in his head, but she knew she would not like it. He just needed to find out a few things first and there was only one person to get the answers he needed from.

Entering Kael's solar, he closed the door behind him and when Kael looked up, Flynn had a serious look on his face, "You kissed my sister..."

Kael had just relaxed after a good round of training with Flynn and so when the lad came into his solar he smiled and stood about to come over to him. when Flynn said that so bluntly Kael sat down looking at the boy for a long moment. “Yes I did. what did she tell you happened?” he was half expecting her to lie and tell Flynn that he had tried to rape her, but the other part of him knew she wouldn’t not sure what she wouldn’t but knew she wouldn’t.

"Just that you kissed her... for now. She seems to think you'll do it again..." he moved to take a seat in the chair that sat on the other side of Kael's desk, "Though she might have express concerned as to what your attentions could end up leading to down the line." He raised a brow, "Do you intend to make my sister your leman?"

Kael smiled and nodded slightly as he was told what she said. “I see, I might indeed kiss her again I found it very enjoyable, and apparently so did she if she still remembers it.” He was a little shocked and raised an eyebrow slightly at the question impressed at the age he was seeing in Flynn just by his concern. “I would never take a lady of your sister’s birth as my leman, though I might take your sister as my lover. However even that would never happen without her permission.”

Kael sat back a very thoughtful look crossing his face as he looked over Flynn. A smirk slowly spread over his lips before he burst out laughing. “I have taught you too well already Flynn. A few days ago, you wouldn’t have thought to ask that question much less had the courage.” He sighed in mirth and wipes away the laughter tears from his eyes. “Yes if the situation came down to it. My honor would require nothing less of me with a woman of your sister’s birth.”

Flynn smiled back, and was no on Kael's side of the war that was about to start. "You will be reminded of the conversation down the line I am sure. Now that I know..." he sighed, "Blair wants to leave. Escape to be more exact. I however think she is just trying to run from whatever you and her shared in that kiss. I will admit that life here with your clan, while not family, is better then what we once lived and would surely again if we ran to our family. I don't want to leave and she needs to learn what I have. This is the place for us."

Kael nodded his head as Flynn told him that his sister wanted to run away. He wasn’t shocked that she did but the fact that Flynn could see why was a bit shocking. This lad was growing up quickly. Kael leaned over the desk looking at Flynn. “I see. I’m guessing that you already have a idea on what to do about this and how to help your sister see this or you wouldn’t be coming to me right now.”

Flynn leaned in as well, "Actually...." he started then laughed slightly and smiled like that confused boy once again, "I only have part of it figured out. My sister thinks I am her only ally in this place. To realize that no one is on her side would devastate her. I don't want to do that to her. It's the last thing I want. So... we must let her believe that I want to leave as much as she does. Perhaps even get half way to our goal," he smirked a little, "before we walk right into your waiting hands and are brought back here."

Kael nodded slowly listening to what Flynn wanted from this whole thing. He smiled understanding why he would want his sister to still trust him. “Don’t worry I’m sure that we can work out just how to make it so your sister never even knows that you talked to me.” He reached into one of the drawers of his desk pulling out a map and placing it between them. “Now then let’s see how to best do this. I think something with me and a group of men being out of the castle for some reason would be good. Say a hunting trip, say I invited you along but you turned me down or something like that.”

For the next hour, the two spoke over exactly what would go down in two days time. It was pretty perfect, as was the idea that Kael had for what they would do with Blair afterward. She needed to learn to appreciate this place. She was about to get plenty of time to learn to like the place as well as like Kael. Shaking hands, they parted ways.

Returning to Blair, he had a smile on a face, "Luck is on our side..." He then detailed to her how in two days time Kael, Angus, AND Nolan were all going on an over night hunting trip to the north, leaving them the opening to flee to the south. Little did she know though, they were going to be running right into a trap that would find them back here again, and her slowly falling into Kael's arms.

The two days passed quickly with Kael making the arrangements with Angus and Nolan. He made all the preparations for what was to come as had been agreed upon by him and Flynn. He knew that the boy could be lying about the whole idea and just using this to cover their real escape attempt, but he didn’t see the boy being that deceitful.

The day finally came and Kael, Angus and Nolan all set out for their alleged hunting trip at the same time there were carts of food, and supplies being prepared to head for the former Ross lands as the first batch hadn’t been able to take all that would be needed.

"Are you sure this is a good idea Flynn?" questioned Blair as they waited in the shadow for an opening to run to a cart and hide them self within it. The whole plan seemed a little iffy to her. She would rather they be traveling on their own and not amongst the Sutherlands.

"It is the only way to cross to the field unseen," he told her, trying to keep her still in the moment so that the plan could go through. "We need only travel with them until nightfall when they stop then we can slip away."

That promise seemed to calm her fear enough that she was once more ready to go forward the escape plan. Just as Flynn and Kael had planned, the one cart was left unattended long enough for them to flee to it and slip inside. A few moments later, the carts all went into motion. So far so good...

The rest was up to Kael and the rest. They had headed out of the town and slowly rode south following the path that the train would take. They set up camp just off the road so that the fire would be seen. No one but Kael and his group knew this was a set up. By the time night was falling the train had come and set up camp with them surprised to see them there. Kael simply explained things with a simple lie and set up camp so that he could see the wagon that they had hidden themselves in. Now just to catch them escaping.

Not realizing who they had joined up with, Blair prepared with Flynn to slip away. They took with them form the cart. Much sooner then she thought wise, Flynn urged her it was time to make their move. Slowly, the slipped from the cart. They huddled behind the cart and Blair was alarmed that the light of the campfire was still making the area the cart rested in highly visible. This was a mistake... she knew it...

Back
Top Bottom