Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Laird of the Land (buttefly0408/kolath)

He sent the food on the table looking at her back just smirking a little as she already spoke to him. even though it was only to defend her brother it was still speaking and that was progress. “I know that, but he still needs to be dealt with so that he doesn’t convince you next time. I brought you supper. Would you like some conversation to go with it tonight?”

Her reply was simple, "Not from you..." back still to him, "But common curtsy bids me to at least say thank you for the food." Her walls of defense were still high. It was not going to be so lucky had break her before the first night of her confinement was through.

He nodded and turned to the door. Very well I will see you in the morning then, enjoy your meal I will get it later.” He left only coming back a couple hours later to get her tray of food and return it to the kitchen. He wouldn’t try to talk to her again till the morning when he would again offer to sit and talk with her over breakfast. This is how the days went for awhile.

At first, it was easy to turn him down. In fact the two days after the start, hearing him offer to sit and stay with her almost frustrated her and made her want to scream her usual reply of "No, but thank you for the food," at him. But by the third day, the long hours of being alone in a small room was getting to her a bit more. There was not much to do. There had been a bit of needle work she had started but once that was finished on the fifth day, then the sixth day, she had a terrible case of cabin fever. But still she was stubborn and would not ask him to stay or talk with her. Her replies went from immediate no's to a hesitation before the no. By a week in, she just shook her head, afraid that if she opened her lips she'd say yes instead.

Twice in that time, Kael had allowed a tub to be brought in for her and she thought maybe there would be the chance to speak with another person for even a moment but Kael was there the whole time they filled the tub and made sure not a word was spoken before she was given her privacy and he stood by again as the tub was later taken away. He was like a hawk watching her and she felt at time like if she wasn't on her guard he would swoop in and eat her.

Kael was starting to have a much of a problem with being stuck in the keep as she was. Because he was having to make sure that no one else talked to her he was not being able to leave for more than a hour at most. After ten days he couldn’t take it anymore. He came into her room and rather then saying anything he walked over to her and gently took her arm “Ready to get out of her for a time?” he asked leading her out of her room and down to the stables. “We are going to go out for lunch today.” he helped her mount before climbing up behind her and with his saddle bags already prepared for the picnic he started off toward the same spot they had stopped to talk before.

At first she was a little bit confused by this change in the daily routine they are so use to. When he had come to her earlier in the morning, it had been just like it aways was. But now, for once she decided not question him when she realized he was talking her towards the door. A little smile crossed her lips. She had won. He let her out of the room before she had to beg to be let out. He cracked first. The smile was paint her lips all the way down to the stables and even still there when they mounted and started to head out. She didn't talk to him yet though, not until the last person was out of sight, where no one could see that she had infact given in and spoke to him did her lips part and sound came out in a kinda hoarse voice, "Where are we going?"

He smiled as she broke down and talked ot him knowing that he had started to win and by the end of the day would have won totally. “I thought that you could use some time out of the castle you were starting to get kinda pale and a little sun could do me some good also.” They rode toward the point that he had taken her before stopping under the tree. “And besides I just said you couldn’t talk to anyone there is no reason that you need to be cooped up as long as I’m with you to make sure that your punishment is taken care of.” He still felt as though he was winning.

She sighed a little, "It has been 10 days. I has not spoke to a single sole but you. What more must I do to have this unnecessary punishment lifted? I have not attempted to escape. I have not attempted to seek someone else. I have done nothing but sit looking out the window for days." She bit her lip, "And you have told me nothing of my brother. How is he? You have not done the same cruel thing to him have you?"

He smiled as she was clearly getting tired of this. “Well, until you and I can have a good long civil talk and both enjoy it.” he laughed slipping off the back of his horse reaching up to help her down his hands around her waist as he lowered her to the ground. “Meaning till hell freezes over.” He laughed and pulled out a blanket from his saddle bags as well as some food. “Your brother has not had to face the same thing, its not a fitting punishment for a man, instead I gave him to my captain of the guard to put through the toughest training he could handle.” It was true that was where Flynn was but by his own choice. Kael held out the blanket to her, “Would you mind while I get the rest out?”

She held the blanket in her hand, clutching it a little at the news of her brother being thrown to rough training like that. "He hasn't gotten hurt has he? He has not ever really trained before. Don't push him to hard, he's still young." Her worry over her brother was clear, she clung to the blanket like it was supporting her through this.

Kael laughed as he pulled out the rest of the food and wine. “Don’t worry, my captain’s goal is to make them as strong and fit as they possibly can be not push them so hard they break.” He moved over under the spread of the large tree waiting for her to put the blanket down so he could put the food down.

It took her a moment, standing there, wondering why he was looking at her when she looked into her hands and remembered she was holding the blanket. "Oh!" She squeaked as she suddenly jumped into motion and let the blanket hang and lay it out on the ground, taking a step back to give him the room to place the items in his hands down.

He smiled at her confusion before placing the stuff down on the blanket and dropping down onto the blanket. “Ahh much better won’t you join me for lunch Blair?” he turned to her and started to open the packages of food letting the tempting smells of all the perfectly made dishes from his aunt and sister’s work waft up to her. he looked up smirking slightly. “Though I do like some conversation with my meal so since you are the only one here.” he let his through trail off the ending clear.

She just leaned back against the tree, "In truth, it smells good, but I am still full from the morning meal." It was part true, part not. "Not having been out and about as of late, I don't use as much energy as I use to. I have not had the best appetite lately." He'd perhaps see that since she ended up leaving a bit more on her tray every time he would come to retrieve it. She around the trunk of the tree, just walking and breathing in the fresh air, letting the sun hit her in little bits through the branches of the tree above. "I can eat in a little bit..."

He looked at her and then moved over to the tree bringing the food with him and sitting so that the food was between them. he picked up a hand sizewd meat pie and started to slowly eat it. the hot juicy meat and well cooked mix of vegetable and herbs made for a perfect blend of flavors before taking one of the cups and bottles of wine. “Would you care for a drink at least?”

She clearly had to take a moment to think things over, looking a little weary of accepting it but her mouth was dry almost constantly from the lack of use and the wine would be welcomed... "Very well," she said as she reached out to accept what he offered her, sipping at it cautiously to not let it go flooding to her head.

He smiled and handed her the cup of spiced wine before filling his own and leaning back agisnt the tree to look at the sky. He sighed softly before looking over at her. “So then about the conversation, tell me a little about yourself Blair, something that only someone that knows you really well would know. What are you hopes and dreams?”

She sighed and sipped at it a bit before as she eyed him up a little and then looked away. "I didn't say yet I was going to be having a conversation with you. You said it. That doesn't quite mean I accept it." She paused a moment, "And even if I did want to talk with you... that questions is a bit of a large step into being a bit personal, don't you think? Not even my closest family knows my hopes and dreams."

He looked over at her for a moment as she answered back with such venom in her voice that he almost was poisoned by hearing it, clearly she still wasn’t happy with him. Though he couldn’t blame her he still wished that it wasn’t the case, “You might not have agreed to talk with me yet but you will so I was just skipping to the point of the conversation. I find it hard to believe that Flynn doesn’t know, you are so close to him surely he knows what your hopes and dreams are? You two are so close its only natural for that to be the case.”

She sighed a little and looked up, resting her head against the tree, "If you share you deepest hopes, dreams, and feelings with someone, it only makes you vulnerable to have them exploited one day. If not by the one you told them to, then by someone else. The moment you speak them, they are out there to be used. A wise person keeps such weaknesses inside." She looked down into her cup watching the light hit the liquid, a little zone out.

He froze as she spoke saying such dark things looking at her for a long moment before he came and knelt in front of her his hand lifting her chin to look into her eyes. “Hopes and dreams aren’t weakness, they have pulled me through many battles by sheer force of will because I wouldn’t see them come to nothing. Don’t ever say they are a weakness your father was wrong to think that and make you think that. There are some that will try and steal your dreams from you but they are the weak ones, they haven’t been able to dream or have lost their dreams so they steal others to seems stronger.”

For a moment she let him hold her chin and speak to her so soft and sweet. No one had spoken to her or treated her like that for a long time now. Her father wouldn't allow it. It was.... she pulled away, moving to stand up and walked a few feet of way, needing distance to think straight, the way she was suppose to. "You ask me to ignore everything my father has ever taught me to survive in this world. And who are you? You are my enemy. Trusting ones energy is like handing them your life to take."

He sighed as she went on the defensive again. He had to admit that her father had trained her well in being untrusting and defending her mind from manipulation. He stood and walked over to her gently turning her around and holding her shoulders. “Your right, I am your clan’s rival. But have I really done a lot to be your enemy? If I had wanted to take your life then why haven’t I already? Is it not in my power to do so?”

He had a point and is urked her to no end that she had to admit that, even it only really to herself. "You have imprisoned me in my room. I would think that makes you count as an enemy. Would you not agree? And will not not also agree you have an alternate motive? Do you really mean to say you speak with me just to be nice? You want me in your bed and then will turn me just as quickly from it as you put me in it."

He sighed, “Again if I was going to just take you to my bed and then throw you out of if again why haven’t I already done it?” he shook his head slowly. “I’m just trying to help you if you can’t see that your father was wrong and just trying to keep you locked up in his little world where everything was perfect because he said it was then feel free.” He lightly had shook her shoulders as he had spoken gently making her move in place not enough to even make her feet have to move.

Back
Top Bottom