Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Pirate Epic (Kolath/butterfly0408)

Amelia's cry rang out through the air as he grabbed her by the hair. It was involuntary but loud and painful never the less. She ended up pushing things to the potential of being even worse by not letting him hear what he wanted. She would not be his lackey! She only hissed back at him, "I know it's not! It's the truth! Not the filth lies you were spouting from your vile lips!"

Callar growled slapping Amelia hard across the face sending her sprawling on the floor to one side, he just couldnâ??t believe how stubborn she was. Growling he looked over the letter once more his blood boiling before he reached down grabbing her hair and a arm which he yanked up behind her. â??You would rather die huh? That can be arranged!â? he kicked open the door to his cabin dragging her out. â??Brake out the plank boys! Time to teach this wench here a lesson.â? There were cheers from some of the men.

Which was fortunate for Conner because it covered up his shout of anger. He was not going to allow this to happen the only thing holding him back right now was Ralph.

The men roughly grabbed her as they pushed out the plank and just about as they were to put her up there Callar stopped them.

Conner was so glad to hear that his father wasnâ??t about to really harm her. it had just been a scare tactic and nodding he was about to go back to his work when he heard.

â??Thatâ??s Theaâ??s dress strip it off her donâ??t want to send a good dress into the drink!â? the men laughed lecherously.

Amelia's screams of terror could only be described as blood curdling. She had only pushed a bit! What she had done did not call for this kind of punishment! Not one bit! Damn blood pirates, descending on her and tearing there hands at the dress. While she screamed more for one of them had taken her breast and twisted it while he had the chance, her eyes started to dart around, looking for someone, anyone to help her. Thea? Where was she? Oh, Connor! Where was he?! She couldn't find him. Was he just watching this happen. Maybe she had been wrong about him. He was no better then this other pirates. Both of them. They were both going to let her die.

Thea had been far across the deck and missed much of the start of it until the noises of mixed screams and laughter drew her away from her work and towards the commotion. She got there just in time to watch the men shove the now barely dressed Amelia up onto the plank. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?! STOP THAT!" she screamed out, making a run to try and stop them, going right past Connor and Ralph on the way. So not Ralph had the choice.... stop Connor from intervining or stop Thea from it? He could never hold back both...

Poor Ralph was barely holding himself back let alone Conner. It was all he could do to keep a cool head unlike Callar who had obviously flipped over something. His arm was the only thing keeping Conner back and that just barely. When suddenly he saw Thea rushing forward something clicked over in his mind and in a instant he made a decision. He tackled Thea pinning her under him nuzzling against her neck as he whispered, â??Callar will kill you if you interfere Conner has a chance that you donâ??t.â?

Ralph was right Conner did have one chance to save Ameliaâ??s life without costing him his own. The entire time that Ralph have been holding him back he had been arguing with himself if he could really do this. When the arm left his chest he rushed forward pushing a couple of the men off her. â??BACK OFF!â? his knife was out held in a combat pose ready to take the first man that opposed him. â??You canâ??t hurt her I claim her as my bride and therefore she has protection under the code!â?

Callar just stopped still looking at the young man defending the girl he had just condemned to death. â??What?â? Callar searched through his mind as there were cries of annoyance from the crew demanding he come down. Finally Callar came forward slamming his hand down on the plank shaking it roughly. Fortunately Conner had good footing and held Amelia on also. â??Silence! The boy has every right to claim her.â? Callar glared at Conner for a moment, â??Any challenge?â? as was the right when a pirate claimed a woman as his bride there was a challenge called for to see if any other wanted her.

Thea struggled a bit against Ralph, not even noticing Connor spring into action. "Ralph let me go! She doesn't deserve to die! No matter what she did you know it was not that ba-" she stopped and turned her head, hearing Connor make his deceleration. It was a hardly ever used law of the pirate's code, most pirates didn't care to attach themselves to just one woman, but there were a few cases it happened in. This was one of them. Thea sighed with relief, thinking Amelia would be save now.

Gem stood off to the side, watching it all take place before her. It was all rather entertaining. Like a drama at sea. She stayed out of it though. Something told her it would be even more entertaining to let things unfold without her interference.

Amelia was already a few steps out onto the planks, wearing nothing but her shift, corset, and a pair of bloomers. She didn't care about that though. She cared only now about her balance on the narrow plank. This was it. This was how she was going to die. She glanced down at the waters below and almost passed out right there. Connor's voice was a God's sent! Turning and seeing him stepped up onto the plank, she raced back to him, standing with them both on the plank, yet he on a piece still on the ship while she was still over the edge. She reached her arms out to hold onto him from behind, clinging to him and trembling. She didn't understand what was going on. They spoke of codes and brides. Was she to be the bride? She didn't understand these pirates at all!

For a few moments, there was no noise from the deck. It seemed that no one was going to challenge until, "I! I will challenge for the prize!" A voice spoke out.

Amelia saw who it was that spoke before anyone else and whimpered as she clung to Connor even tighter. It was Jim. The one that had attacked her the first night and lost his eye because of it.

He stepped forward, smiling wickedly and glaring with his one eye. "I can take the lad. And when I do... by the law of the code she is mine. And I will have the whore finish her little walk down the plank."

Connerâ??s mind was screaming at him begging to know what he was thinking, but it was already done all he could do now was pray that no one spoke up. But of course the one person that Conner really didnâ??t want to say anything spoke up.

Ralph just stood there in shock as Jim stepped forward and not only challenged Conner made it very clear that he had no interest in Amelia at all. Ralph couldnâ??t help but slip a arm around Theaâ??s waist as he nuzzled close keeping it very hidden, â??This is going to be bad.â?

Callar looked from one to the other remembering the incident, â??Perfect! Alright boys mark out the ring and bring out the fighting gear!â?

The pirates jumped to the work pulling Conner down off the plank forcing Amelia to remain up there while they drew out a large circle around on the deck marking off where the men were to stand. Bringing out two baling pins and a heavy rope the passed the weapons of choice to the men before tying their arms together with the rope. It allowed them to move at most three feet from each other but forced them to remain close so neither of them could rest. The pirates stripped the shirts off both of the combatants and it was clear the height difference and the defined muscles of Jim, and even though Conner was no slouch it was clear that the older man had the advantage.

â??BEGIN!â?

Jim was the first off the plate pulling Conner roughly forward with a hard yank at the rope. The end of the pin slammed hard into Connerâ??s stomach knocking the wind out of him. some how Conner moved out of the way quickly dodging the next shot before trying to return a shot to Jimâ??s back, but Jim had been fighting like this for a long time and rolled forward dodging the blow and ripping Conner forward again with the rope sending a blow to the back of the head that had Conner seeing stars. Shaking his head trying to clear it Conner was knocked down with a upper cut smashing his jaw and cutting his lip. Falling back he gasped blinking the stars from his eyes again he looked up ready to see the final blow coming down. Instead he saw Ameliaâ??s face as she tried to rush forward to help him worry in her eyes but she was held back by the rest of the crew.

Conner set his jaw even through the pain and knew he had to win this. Rolling suddenly to one side he barely dodged the down strike. With a cut with one leg he sent Jim flat out on the deck. Conner may have been the less experienced at this combat but he had luck and a keen eye for seeing weak spots. Not even bothering to stand he brought his pin down hard on the back of Jimâ??s skull right at the soft point where the head joins the neck. Jim was out could in a second, and Conner began to slowly stand.

Thea was shaking in Ralph's grasp. He was right. This was going to be bad. She was either going to gain a sister or loose both her friend and her brother. Jim would not be merciful. He'd kill them both if he had the opening for it. She just prayed the whole while that Connor wouldn't give him one.

Amelia was helpless as Connor was ripped from her grasp. She attempted to reach for him and go with him, but they forced her to stay balancing out on the plank. Watching them prepare for their battle, her heart was racing a mile a minute. She didn't understand any of this though it seemed like they knew exactly what they were going about doing. And then it started and she was helpless all over again. Watching Connor place himself in danger all for her. Lord, if anything happened to him, she wouldn't even wait to be told to walk the plank. She's just turn and dive off herself out of guilt. She felt bad enough as it was now that she had thought he would abandon her in her time of need. And now he was- "Connor!" she cried seeing him hit the ground and Jim closing in swiftly for the final blow. It should be her! Not Connor! She moved to rush to his aid only to be snatched up by two pirates and forced back out onto the plank, almost loosing her balance and falling in. It took her a moment to focus herself once again but when she finally turned her face back to challenge.... Connor was starting to stand once again, Jim was out like a light on the floor. Amelia stood there stunned on the plank, her knees almost giving out on her so horribly that she had to grasp at the railing of the ship to stay up. He was save. She was save. Emotions were flooding her and she was stunned motionless and speechless.

Conner stood slowly his eyes sweeping over the gathered pirates obvious disdain for all of them. â??Anyone else want to challenge me?â? his eyes were dark clearly he was not the young pup they all often thought he was. Pulling out his boot knife he cut the rope before tossing it on to Jimâ??s prone form, â??Take him below let him sleep it off with the pigs.â? Conner sounded so commanding that they men started to do it without even thinking. Turning Conner walked over to Amelia and slipped his large hands around her waist lifting her down off the plank, â??Your ok now.â? His hand brushed her cheek as he smiled weakly before dropping to the deck out cold.

Ralph could already see what was going to happen and the instant that Conner hit the deck he moved forward barking orders. â??Clear the plank away and get back to your duties you lazy dogs!â?

Callar was in a little bit of shock walking over to Gem and slipping a arm around her waist looking over at Conner, â??Thatâ??s the first time he ever defied meâ?¦â? he thought for a moment before looking over at Gem, â??Are weâ?¦getting old my Queen? That our children are starting to think for themselves?â?

"Connor!" Amelia swiftly knelt down at his side, worried it had been to much for him. Some tears started to well up in her eyes. "Oh Connor..." she brushed her hand over his cheek.

"Show is over!" Thea added to Ralph's commands before she knelt down and put her hands on Amelia's shoulders, urging her to her feet. Looking to Ralph, she indicated with her eyes to Ralph for him to help with Connor as she started to lead Amelia away.

She protested though, "No! I want to stay with him!"

"Amelia, shhh, it's okay. Ralph will take him to his room. I am taking you below to get you calmed down and cleaned. I promise I will take you to him right as soon as you have. We have to talk as well." Thea knew that Amelia had no idea exactly what had just happened. She didn't know exactly how should would take the news either once she was told. Taking her down below and back to her room, Thea sat Amelia down on her bunk and went to get her a drink from her own private stash. Handing a cup filled to the brim to Amelia, Thea sat next to her. "Amelia... what just happened.... you need to know. There is a code that pirates follow. Like laws for the sea. One of those is that a pirate's wife is to be treated with as much respect as any other member of the crew. Not to be hurt. Not to be touch. Ultimate protection. Connor has used the code to save you the only way he could. He claimed you as his bride to be. Jim staked his claim on you was well, so they had to battle to see who would win the right to you. As long as you pledge yourself to Connor... you will be safe...."

Amelia sat there, the shock coming over her once again. Sitting in stunned silence once more. "I..... I'm engaged?" was her only response.

Gem has almost hoped Connor would have lost. It would have been entertaining to see and would not have left this nagging feeling in the back of her head. Her husband put the feeling into words. "Never my king. They are just getting to bold for their own good. Perhaps.... perhaps we need to crack the whip a little more around here. Keep them both in their place."

Ralph had understood what Thea needed him to do and after the crew had dispersed he leaned down pick Conner up and carrying him down stairs. He placed him gently down on the bed and then left to get the medical supplies. He shook his head as he gathered the disinfectant and the needle and thread because of a bad cut on Connerâ??s forehead. â??That boy is going to need to do a lot of explaining when he finally wakes up.â? He headed back to Connerâ??s quarters with the supplies.

Callar nodded as his wife denied what they both knew was true. â??your right of course we have been too busy with each other these past few days they are getting lax.â? His arm tightened around her a little smiling as he leaned in kissing her deeply.

"That is the best way to say it I suppose," Thea said as she took the cup from her once more and set it down before picking up the dress she had originally laid out for Amelia to put on earlier. There was silence between them before Thea spoke up once more, "Don't hold it against him Amelia. He didn't see any other way. Heck, there was no other wa-"

"No, Thea... I understand. I do. It's just..." she sighed a little, "This is all happening so quickly." It was not suppose to happen like this at all. She was a princess. She was suppose to marry some noblemen. Maybe not a prince, but a pirate was at the end of the list. And now, to stay alive she had no other choice. It was a pirate or death. What could she do? "What about the ransom your father wanted though? He can't send me back married. My father would never have it?"

It was a good question, but Thea was pretty sure of the answer though. "I don't think you will be going home Amelia. I'm sorry."

Silence hit the room again until Amelia reached over and took the dress from Thea's hands. "I should put this on and go check on Connor..."

"Let me help-"

"No... I can do it myself. Thank you Thea. I'm protected now as you say. I will have to get use to this kind of life now." She took the dress and rose, slipping it over her head. Looking at herself a moment in the mirror, she knew was a princess no more. With a nod to Thea, she turned and left the room, heading to Connor's. Entering, she found Ralph with her still passed out husband to be. "How can I help him?"

Ralph turned at her voice having just started cleaning the cut on Connerâ??s forehead. He was a little surprised that she had come here after he was sure that Thea had told her what Conner did. â??Umâ?¦are you sure you want to?â?

She nodded a little and came closer, sitting on the other side of the bed, looking down at Connor, "I'm sure. It's the least I can do after what he has done for me." She reached her hand out and gently brushed her thumb against his cheek. "He'll be alright, won't he?"

Ralph nodded as she made her way over to Conner. It was obvious that she had been told what had happened with Conner and he decided to not bring it up. He motioned her closer, â??Yes he will be fine just some cuts and burses that need mended. How good are you with needle and thread?â?

"Well... I have used needle and thread before, but never for what I think you want me to do. I would be afraid my mending skills might make things worse before they make them better." She felt helpless. The one thing she could do for him, and she was afraid to do it.

"I can do it," Thea's voice came from the still open door as she came forward and took up a needle and thread to prepare.

Amelia smiled slightly, "I'm sure Thea's hand will be more steady then mine."

Ralph nodded moving back to let Thea in. he walked over to stand behind Amelia his hands resting on her upper arms lightly rubbing up and down on them. â??He will be alright, Theaâ??s hands are smaller than mine and will make the cut heal cleaner. He probably wonâ??t even have a scar.â? He was trying to think of something to say to Amelia but nothing came too mind.

Thea went to work and her nimble fingers soon made quick work of the task at hand. It took ten minutes to get every last little cut closed up, but soon she put the needle and thread down, and turned to Amelia and Ralph, with a smile. "There. All better now." She could still see the worry on her friends face as well as... regret?

She wished as she watched Thea do her job that it was her with the needle and thread. How could she be a good wife to him when she couldn't even help him? She had a lot to learn, that was for sure.

"Amelia... why don't you clean the wounds?" Thea was pleased when she say Amelia's face lighten just a bit at the mention of her helping Connor, even if it was only dabbing a damp cloth on his face. "Here, you can use this."

Amelia took the bowl of water and clean cloth that Thea handed her and tenderly started to dab at the freshly stitched spots on Connor's body.

Ralph moved behind Thea his arms wrapping around her waist pulling her close against his chest leaning in to kiss her neck and whisper in her ear. â??This is going to be tough for a bit now isnâ??t it?â? he really didnâ??t need to ask he knew but he wanted to make sure that Thea knew what was coming from Callar and Gem.

Conner stirred a little sighing at the feel of the water on his cuts. He did not wake just a slight stirring.

Thea sighed back and placed her hand on his. There was no need to hide in front of Amelia. She trusted Amelia with the secret that she and Ralph showed small affections to one another all the time now. "It is. But I don't know who it will be toughest for." The whole time she was trying to keep her voice down so Amelia could not hear. "We know it's coming. We don't know what yet, but at least we know. She has no idea the things that are to come to her. She's such an innocent thing. It's a shame she has to face all this now. Has this been what we have been doing all these years Ralph? How many innocent people like Amelia has our actions effected? How many lives have we had a hand in ruining?"

Amelia was not paying any attention to Thea and Ralph. Her attention was all on Connor. Happy that the water seemed to sooth him at least a little bit, she continued to dab at his wounds and even after they were al clean, she still dabbed the cool cloth over his forehead and face.

Ralph sighed kissing her neck holding her close. â??I donâ??t know Thea but I am not sure I like myself right now.â? He stepped back from her and turned leaving the room stepping out into the hallway leaning against the wall still looking into the room at Thea a dark look on his face.

Conner had been restless for most this time but with her touch and the cool cloth he seemed to settle relaxing down into the covers his breathing settling to something a bit more normal.

Thea put her hand on Amelia's shoulder, "If you or he need anything, I will be up on deck or in my room. You can come look for me." After watching her nod her head in understanding, Thea turned as well and went into the hall with Ralph. There were others about, so she could not show him the affection she truly wanted to in that moment, but gave him glance and just touched his arm a moment before continuing down the hall.

Amelia smiled a little, happy to see him settle down a bit more calmly. She just continued to dab the cloth over this brow for awhile until she noticed that that either Ralph or Thea had closed the door. She started talking to herself, not even realizing she was doing it out loud, "So... you are to be the man I marry hmm? Not exactly what I expected my husband to be like, but I would rather you over some stuffy lord or stuck up prince."

Connerâ??s mind must have been playing tricks on him from the blow and the beating he took up on deck. He was sure that he was hearing Ameliaâ??s voice talking about being her husband. He knew what he had done and that according to the code she was now bound to him. However he wasnâ??t going to hold her too it by any means he cared too much about her to hold her to something like that.

Slowly his eyes opened and he looked up into her eyes. â??Aâ?¦Amelia? What are you doing here?â?

Amelia gasped a little hearing his voice, but only smiled down at his face, wanting him to see a happy face as he awoke from such a horrible ordeal. "Why wouldn't I be here? You stood by side in my time of need and so now I sit here by yours."

He smiled reaching up brushing his hand against her cheek. â??Butâ?¦do you know what I did?â? he looked down sighing. â??I didnâ??t even ask first.â? He had a dream of how this was going to happen before it was just a simple girl but with the time he had been spending with Amelia slowly she had become the girl that he had asked to marry him then claimed her in front of the crew and easily beaten any challenger, not almost getting beaten himself.

"I do know what you did Connor..." she smiled and leaned down, kissing him on the cheek and pulling back only a little bit, still staying bent over him. "You saved my life Connor. THAT is what you did. I'll never be able to thank you enough for that."

Back
Top Bottom