Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A question to Americans

LittleBitCheeky

Planetoid
How important is Saturday's world cup football (soccer) game against England to you? Will the bars be packed like here or do people not particularly care?

No reason for asking, other than sheer curiosity.

Very select bars in very select cities will be packed - I know that in Seattle, for example, with the Sounders (our team) growing popularity, the game has attracted a decent following.

It was funny, when I went over there it was just after they signed Freddie Ljungberg. That gave me a shock watching highlights and seeing him. I'm not an Arsenal fan but I would have enjoyed seeing a Sounders game, he's a quality player. They even had a sign up saying Sorry London, We have Freddie. I've got a picture of it somewhere.

WORLD CUP BABYYYYYYYYYY

I'm an American citizen but not originally from this country. For all sorts of reasons I find it hard to root for America in every venue, and I don't root for America in this one.

It's unpatriotic but I hope England DESTROYS THE YANK TEAM SO HARD THEIR GIRLFRIENDS DIE. Ooops. Did I say that out loud? :p

Watch, I've gone and jinxed England. There will be repeat of the Miracle on Grass, dammit. Ah, well.

You need to keep in mind too, that not everyone on this site might watch sports as religiously as others in this country. I dunno, I'm new here. But a lot of American 'general' sports fans will at least casually follow the World Cup, even if they don't follow football (soccer to the Yanks) year round.

Honestly the only reason I even knew about it was because I watch the BBC quite often and they have some little British vs. English TV Programming bit going on in promotion of their coverage of the game. I'm not a HUGE sports fan. I follow Football, Baseball, and some minor league hockey (Go Winterhawks!). Soccer never appealed to me as a sport. I blame PE classes in elementary school for that one. Least the school I went to Soccer Day in that class was always "Kick the small kid" day. No fouls called for getting kicked either as the kid "Accidently" missed the ball and nailed you in the balls/shin/torso. Getting the shit kicked out of you by the bigger kids for an hour a day for however many weeks until the PE teacher stopped the Soccer Days doesn't do much to endear you to a sport.

I won't be wearing my England jersey, that's for sure. Football is pretty popular around here since we've got a good mix of folks.

I gotta find out what time the game is on and head out to a bar in the City or Berkeley.

I think someone said it was 2.30 Eastern, but I'm not entirely sure.

I can imagine the popularity of it skyrocketing even more if you beat England, that's got to raise some patriotic fervour. :D

We actually did really well against Brazil first half of the... oh, federation cup, is it called? I was shocked.

Just beating Spain in the Confederations Cup was a huge, huge deal. If the US comes out with a tie against England, that will be a big accomplishment. I can see them being spoilers too, and actually winning, given the energy and flash they've been playing with. But I think England has enough talent and experience to hold the US to a tie even if they (England) have an off game.

I've said it before, I may have jinxed England now.....

Its piqued my interest. There is nothing more fun than drinking in a bar full of little S.Koreans screaming @ the t.v and watching their drunk little 4'9 selves pick fights with myself and the other soldiers.

I dunno. I usually end up rooting for England because my country does fuck all, so I've noticed that England has good people, they just all suck together for some reason.

Kawamura said:
I dunno. I usually end up rooting for England because my country does fuck all, so I've noticed that England has good people, they just all suck together for some reason.

It's a question of attitude, I think. Gerrard's a good captain because he cares about the game even if he can barely speak English. But before him in the captaincy were two incredibly selfish and non-team oriented bastards, John Terry and Rio Ferdinand. Then you've got Rooney who's a great striker but has the attitude of a five year old child who's throwing a tantrum. Apart from Becks and maybe Peter Crouch, no one treats the privilege of playing for England as what it is.

Then you've got players that are just purely terrible, like David James and Emile Heskey. Why are we taking him to the world cup? Why?

Tathariel said:
Its piqued my interest. There is nothing more fun than drinking in a bar full of little S.Koreans screaming @ the t.v and watching their drunk little 4'9 selves pick fights with myself and the other soldiers.

Haha, you're in for a rough ride this time; the North Koreans aren't boycotting this time so they'll be out in droves as well :mrgreen:

LittleBitCheeky said:
Then you've got players that are just purely terrible, like David James and Emile Heskey. Why are we taking him to the world cup? Why?

I was a little surprised by some of England's call ups, to be sure. Has Walcott been playing that badly lately? He's one name that pops up just off the top of my head.

Just over five hours to kick off!!!!!!

clinbarr said:
LittleBitCheeky said:

I was a little surprised by some of England's call ups, to be sure. Has Walcott been playing that badly lately? He's one name that pops up just off the top of my head.

Just over five hours to kick off!!!!!!

Indeed, and what a game. It was a big surprise when Theo didn't get called up, I think he would have played a blinder. Still, his absence gives a bit of breathing space to Shaun Wright Phillips, who has massive world cup final potential.

Back
Top Bottom