Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

DotA

Catastrophy

Banned
Banished
dota2.jpg

Who plays it? :mrgreen:

I suppose its more of an European, and specifically Scandinavian game.

Its a map, in the game called Warcraft III, including the expansion the Frozen Throne.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xpAiLSLd6c[/youtube]

Its 5 v 5 matches. Extremely competitive, with every single aspect of the game vital.

Reflexes, Strategy, Tactics, Teamwork, Overview, Quick Thinking and Timing are all ESSENTIAL to rule the game.

THANK YOU!

You are the first fan boy to actually call it a map IN WC3. Every other fan boy that talks about it thinks it's not wc3 and is a whole new game and shit, It's so stupid. And it's not just European it's very big in the states as well.

Well, it IS a map. Altough its arguably, better than the actual game, and most other games around.

Seriously, check the basshunter (second) video. I even posted a subbed version. I think its what made Dota extra popular in the nordic states. That song xD

I played it a few times. It was sort of fun, but since everyone I played it with was super-competitive I always lost so it wasn't that enjoyable. >_>

Calista said:
I played it a few times. It was sort of fun, but since everyone I played it with was super-competitive I always lost so it wasn't that enjoyable. >_>

DotA is made to be purposefully difficult for new players so that getting a "newbie" on your team will force you to lose. You're expected to go online and memorize item combinations and crap like that before you ever play. So you get to see a bunch of DotA elitists and then regular people can play other Warcraft 3 maps.

Ryang Jegal said:
DotA is made to be purposefully difficult for new players so that getting a "newbie" on your team will force you to lose. You're expected to go online and memorize item combinations and crap like that before you ever play. So you get to see a bunch of DotA elitists and then regular people can play other Warcraft 3 maps.

Sounds like someone got their ass kicked. Its not made purposefully difficult. The thing about it is that it has RPG aspects, so when a newbie is killed by the enemy team he 'feeds' them making them stronger, more xp, more gold. thus balancing the fight in their favor. However, teamwork and proper communication can usually make a noob alot more useful, or at least alot less dead.

Calista said:

You played public? you havent tried anything yet! >:D

The europeans are even better than the americans at it (well, generally i say, before USA'ians get pissed at me xD)

While its fun on its own. Its the best when you play with friends, preferably enough to be a full team :,D

Catastrophy said:
Sounds like someone got their ass kicked. Its not made purposefully difficult. The thing about it is that it has RPG aspects, so when a newbie is killed by the enemy team he 'feeds' them making them stronger, more xp, more gold. thus balancing the fight in their favor. However, teamwork and proper communication can usually make a noob alot more useful, or at least alot less dead.
[/quote]

Boo hoo someone doesn't like my game they must be bad at it. Also, the RPG aspects are part of Warcraft 3 so everybody knows that part.

Well, just from experience the people that whine about dota are the ones incapable of playing it, or at least incapable of getting through the period where they get owned.

The system is pretty neatly balanced and to many little factors play into the game which is what makes it so great. The tide of the battle can also change by the slightest things. Thats awesome. It isnt difficult to play, theres just ALOT more to master than in many other games, that isnt just micro.

Are you good at dota then? ^__^ Ever played league games?

The main i have with dota is how people often leave when they are losing or just, for stupid reasons. Dota leagues fix that by having rating systems, giving major minus if you leave/disconnect from games. They also consist of at least, slightly more experienced players, making every game even better and more challenging. I currently have a 75% win rating. While the average is will, somewhere around 51-55% ^_^

The main thing that bugged me about DotA was all the different items - the majority of which are useless and crap, but seem to just be there to confuse everyone and make everything seemed overwhelming. Most of the time when I played DotA, people would freak out at anyone who wasn't a professional and took it way too seriously. It's not like it hurt my feelings, though. Purposefully pissing off a bunch of losers is quite amusing. :p

Sorry. But all the items have uses. None of them are crap.

And it does get quite annoying with people that sort of ruin the game.

You should try finding the noob friendly games, sometimes people host "noob only" where the skill level indeed is lower than average, giving you a much better chance at enjoying the game.

Calista said:
The main thing that bugged me about DotA was all the different items - the majority of which are useless and crap, but seem to just be there to confuse everyone and make everything seemed overwhelming. Most of the time when I played DotA, people would freak out at anyone who wasn't a professional and took it way too seriously. It's not like it hurt my feelings, though. Purposefully pissing off a bunch of losers is quite amusing. :p

Exactly. The main difference between DotA over the first few months of its life and now is how many items there are and how needlessly complicated they made it.

It's like Welcome to our game, have you memorized this: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dotapro.com/items.php?display=all">http://www.dotapro.com/items.php?display=all</a><!-- m --> yet? All of it? If not you can't play and will only be a liability to our team.

Counter-Strike players used to work the same way about how their game was the only game and how there is "ALOT to master". :lol:

Catastrophy said:
Sorry. But all the items have uses. None of them are crap.

And it does get quite annoying with people that sort of ruin the game.

You should try finding the noob friendly games, sometimes people host "noob only" where the skill level indeed is lower than average, giving you a much better chance at enjoying the game.

Yes because joining a game and not being an expert at it means I'm ruining it. :roll: Boohoo. People shouldn't allow anyone to join their game if they don't want to play with people who might not be the best. That's what private games are for.

Ive never spent time looking at the items out of game. They are not complicated, just requires a bit of basic math to figure out whats best for you heroes. and some strategy.

Also, you can just ask your team what to buy, ive never tried not having a useful person telling me what i should get when i tried a hero i wasnt too well known with.

The way you talk Ryang Jegal makes me realize that you are indeed a n00b after all :,D

Calista: Yeah, well, you have to be pretty horribly to actually ruin it. If you just listen to your teammates it cant go all wrong. But hmm, i dont play on american servers, maybe your people are even bigger assholes than the europeans xDDD

Catastrophy said:
Ive never spent time looking at the items out of game. They are not complicated, just requires a bit of basic math to figure out whats best for you heroes. and some strategy.

Also, you can just ask your team what to buy, ive never tried not having a useful person telling me what i should get when i tried a hero i wasnt too well known with.

The way you talk Ryang Jegal makes me realize that you are indeed a n00b after all :,D

Calista: Yeah, well, you have to be pretty horribly to actually ruin it. If you just listen to your teammates it cant go all wrong. But hmm, i dont play on american servers, maybe your people are even bigger assholes than the europeans xDDD

Oh no, I am a "noob"! How sad I am to be called bad at a game I don't care about. Are you going to tell us stories about how much you "owned" some "noobs"?

I am not trying to deny that you and your Master Race are better at some game, I am just saying that it was purposefully made in a way that discourages people from learning it.

So you are just another noob pissed because you suck at it ! xDDDD

Its okay take it easy, its just a game. You seem really. . pissed off.

Catastrophy said:

The main thing that bothers me about the items is how they're all spread out. I used to know where they all were after a few times of playing the game, but it bugs me how they can't just all be lumped together instead. >_>

Catastrophy said:

Tell that to nerds who play DotA all day long and thinks it's serious business. To some ruining a game would be to purposefully die a billion times, but to many people who are obsessed with video games it's being new to the game. While I don't know if North American servers have more assholes, from what I've seen here European ones probably wouldn't be much better. :twisted:

Well, its something you just get used to after a while, not much to do about that. to be honest, ive never considered that a problem. its just a minor minor part of the game that hasnt got any real effect on the actual. . fight. Also, in a recent version, they made it so you can buy anywhere on the map. so when you run back, or when youre not doing anything. you can click back and have some time to find and buy the things you need.

Catastrophy said:
So you are just another noob pissed because you suck at it ! xDDDD

Its okay take it easy, its just a game. You seem really. . pissed off.

I just want people to know what to expect if they start based on your thread.

But you don't seem to handle dissenting opinions very well, do you?

You seem to carry a personal grudge against it :p

Anyways, i disagree that its purposefully made difficult for new players. It just has alot you have to learn. Untill then, you're an easy target for a seasoned player. But thats where teamplay comes in and helps. Of course, if youre in a team filled with pre-adolescent kids then you're fucked and will be bitched at, unless they of course suck too :D

And the "You are expected to memorize item combinations" part is just plain wrong.

Catastrophy said:
You seem to carry a personal grudge against it :p

Anyways, i disagree that its purposefully made difficult for new players. It just has alot you have to learn. Untill then, you're an easy target for a seasoned player. But thats where teamplay comes in and helps. Of course, if youre in a team filled with pre-adolescent kids then you're fucked and will be bitched at, unless they of course suck too :D

And the "You are expected to memorize item combinations" part is just plain wrong.

I don't, and I haven't made a big issue out of all your personal grudges that have come out in this thread, now have I? :-D

There's nothing wrong with a game having a big learning curve, but you might as well admit that it does. I am not a "pro" DotA player, I am not ever going to be in a "video game league" and I am not European, but years ago, I played a lot of Warcraft 3, DotA, and other custom maps, so I feel that I have a valid opinion.

Telling a new player "hope that your team tells you what to do over voice chat" doesn't really sound newbie-friendly.

DoTA is like an abusive girlfriend. It treats you like shit, kicks your ass up and down the block for the slightest mistakes, but yet you can't stop coming back to it.

Back
Top Bottom