Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Otherkin [Interest Check]

I'm looking for people interested in a group roleplay that involves nonhumans. Here's the synopsis:

You sit down on the velvet-covered seat, your body shaking and your mind frozen on the trauma that had just been forced upon you. He stared at you with a stern, yet paternal gaze, handing you the glass of hard liquor as he plopped down into his own chair. The flickering, bright flame of the fireplace illuminated the study, and your eyes focused on its radiance as memories darted through your mind. With a flash, you remembered how the charming, pale-faced young man gaped open his maw before lunging towards your neck with a lustful, animalistic vigor. Your eyes shut tightly in a desperate attempt to push out the horrible images, sounds, and sensations that followed. Theron took a sip of the liquor, and then turned to you, wondering if you'd speak first. He saw the silent suffering in your face, then spoke.

"You're lucky to be alive. That...thing...was going to make you his meal after he had his way with you. I'm calling it a thing because I know it's not human. He was a vampire I'd been tracking for a few weeks now, and if I hadn't been there to save you...well...you would've been his tenth victim."

Your eyes meet his for a moment, then you glance back down to the floor in disbelief, unsure of what to make of all of this. Theron stands up and moves across the room like he's gliding on air.

"They're real. Not just blood-suckers, though. A lot of things you're brought up thinking are just fantasy or fiction are really out there. Angels, demons, ghosts, lycanthropes...those are werewolves, if you didn't know..."

He pauses for a moment, staring at the glint hanging on the surface of his drink as he smirks to himself. He looks at you again, this time with a serious, cold look.

"It's not just those freaks that are out there, though. I've seen everything from pointy-eared bastards, people with green skin, monsters made up of nothing but a writhing mass of slimy tentacles, snake-haired fucks that'll paralyze you with just a gaze, beauties that turn hideous and implant eggs into your body as you orgasm, to even abominations that put on the skin of their victims and parade around as them till they find someone else to...wear."

You don't believe what you're hearing in the slightest bit, but a part of your inner mind tugs at you. This nauseating fear aches at your insides, begging you to continue listening, hoping that it isn't all just the rambles of a delusional psychotic. Theron then walks in front of you and crouches to meet your eyes.

"I hunt these...things. These creatures that don't belong here, and are snatching away people in the darkness that don't see them for what they really are. We call them Otherkin. Yes, we. I'm not the only one who knows they exist, but I'm one of the few who actually think we should fight them. You seem pretty torn up right now, right? Defiled, maybe? You want to make sure others don't go through what you just experienced? Well, I'm here to give you the chance to strike back at these monsters."

"Join me."

The Otherkin is a roleplay revolving around a group of people that have, at one point or another in their lives, discovered that strange things really do go bumping in the night. Unfortunately, a lot of these strange things like to sexually assault unsuspecting humans, and some of them even go as far as to kill their victims afterward. Where do they come from, you might ask? Well, there are no definitive answers, but there are theories. The strongest theory is that these creatures come from different realities, though there are some beings that seem to go against that hypothesis, like angels, demons, aliens, ghosts, and so on. Regardless of where the Otherkin originate from, they have begun to fill our world, and not all of them are friendly.

The majority of Otherkin find a unique niche in society and eke their way through their lives without ever being discovered, while others keep themselves completely detached both physically and psychologically. Some even band together and work with humans, and have formed a strange subculture in an attempt to blend together the uniqueness of both worlds. No matter how they interact with humanity, though, any Otherkin that cause problems are eventually going to catch the attention of Theronites, or Hunters. These individuals are as diverse as the Otherkin themselves, which the Theronites colloquially call "OK's" (pronounced okay's). While not every Hunter thinks the Otherkin are outright evil, most Hunters are usually wary of them to some extent. After all, most Theronites start their careers in response to surviving a gut-wrenching encounter with an Otherkin.

Though not united as a group, the Hunters do form groups from time to time. After all, you can't take down all the malicious Otherkin by yourself, but you can damn well try harder if you have people to watch your back for you. Each group is as different as the Hunters that they are comprised of, and there's nothing to stop two Theronite bands from feuding with each other over something, save for hearing rumors about people going missing in the next town over. Even then, though. Neither the Theronites or the Otherkin have laws, though there are those who like to think they can actually make them, even by force. Who could blame them?

Anywho, I'd like to hear the opinions of the community on this concept, and would love to get a feel for anything and everything you may want to see in this. Whether you want to hunt a pack of vampires prowling the nightclubs of a large city, fend off ogres that are harassing a small town in the middle of nowhere, seal away an incubus that has awoken from his thousand-year slumber, or throw yourself into the web of intrigue that makes up the Otherkin-Human underground, be my guest.

I like the idea.

Would it be possible to be an Otherkin and a Hunter at the same time?

Thank you, Kite. The answer to your question is yes, actually. It's not impossible for Otherkin to be Hunters. Of course, the reasoning behind their lifestyle would have to be very unique. After all, why fight their own kind? Species rivalries, like some werewolves and vampires? Empathy towards vulnerable humans, like some elves or dryads? A sadistic urge to fight fantastical creatures in a less-fantastic reality, like some demons or ghosts? The options are endless.

Feel free to post whatever you want. Since this is just in the interest check stage, there's a lot of room for adaptation and changes to meet basic needs of everyone playing. Just keep in mind that not everything stated in this thread is final, but can make it to the final cut.

While I am not particularly interested in participating (at least at the present time) I'll bump a great sounding idea.

The list of current, possibly confirmed players is as follows:

Tathariel
Kite Xiroh
Killdozer
Kusheline
rohan
HalfVampyre
Erel_Spiritweaver

If any of you are looking for ideas, feel free to PM me, or speak with me on any instant messengers. I have a boat-load of ideas I could throw out there for you to take or edit, regardless of whether your Hunter is a human or Otherkin!

I was thinking of a girl that had survived an extended stay with a tentacle beasty before her rescue and eventually becomming a hunter herself... I think human... though part Other could work as well...

Your avatar is so damn hypnotic...

That sounds delightful, Kusheline. I'd like it if we discussed in more detail the tentacle beast itself, seeing if we can't figure out how it's affected the character, how she managed to get rescued from it, etc etc. Either way, being an Otherkin (even just partly) sounds quite reasonable to me. Now, being an Otherkin or part-Otherkin, and STILL surviving an extended stay with a tentacle beast can work just as fine, haha.

Aha, thank you. I chose it for a reason. ;)

Hmm sounds delightful, I can be lycanthrope or neko or even a drow elf if you like, my drow would be on the hunters side though she is not your average drow, I could explain in detail or you can look at some of my current role plays to see how Ere acts heh.

For those of you who are asking me if you'd like to play as an antagonist, I'm going to have to deny that request. The essence of this roleplay is the conflict between the Theronites and malicious Otherkin, and I was aiming for the players being people who already are, or will soon become, Theronites. I don't mind the characters being human, partially-Otherkin, or fully Otherkin, but I'd advise those of you interested in being the reason for the conflict that I'm shying away from those requests.

So, what's the word? Did my character pass? I forgot to provide his appearance.

TT__TT

Now that you dissect it like that, the bio doesn't make much sense. Of course there's more to each part, but when you read what I typed, it does sound kinda' lame.

There are no lame ideas, only those that haven't been worked out enough. I'm seeing a trend in the character profiles, with almost everyone wishing to be a demon or half-demon character. While demons are somewhat common in the roleplay, the sentient ones should most definitely be something very hard to find, let alone get involved with. Come on, people, this is your chance to re-write the myths! Not all creatures need to be like those in the books! While I really don't want vampires to sparkle, they still don't have to be lethally vulnerable to sunlight. Not all demons need horns, not all angels need wings, not all ghosts need to look like a cloud of smoke. You can design whatever you want, however you want, but only if it makes sense in the context of the roleplay. Less Mary Sue's, more full-fledged Theronites, please. :)

Kaleidoscope said:
There are no lame ideas, only those that haven't been worked out enough. I'm seeing a trend in the character profiles, with almost everyone wishing to be a demon or half-demon character. While demons are somewhat common in the roleplay, the sentient ones should most definitely be something very hard to find, let alone get involved with. Come on, people, this is your chance to re-write the myths! Not all creatures need to be like those in the books! While I really don't want vampires to sparkle, they still don't have to be lethally vulnerable to sunlight. Not all demons need horns, not all angels need wings, not all ghosts need to look like a cloud of smoke. You can design whatever you want, however you want, but only if it makes sense in the context of the roleplay. Less Mary Sue's, more full-fledged Theronites, please. :)

Props for the use of Mary Sue in the correct context in an actual sentence. LOL.

For those who want to play, character ideas are necessary. You can make profiles if you want, but I'd advise against that, due to the fact that I'll most likely ask you a bunch of questions about them and you'll probably just have to rewrite the whole damn thing. Just throw ideas out here for now, no matter what they are, so we can all get a feel for what we're wanting to play and work together on how we're actually going to get it to work.

How does magic work? Is it drawn from 'Mana' around you, or is it internally manifested (stamina)?

Good question. Let's talk cosmology, shall we?

The Otherkin come from realities that are charged with magical energy. Our reality has no such magical energy of its own, but this changed as the Otherkin started coming into our world. With the arrival of the Otherkin, waves of magical energy began to fill our universe, allowing arcane arts to be possible. While many of these arts are not even mildly authentic, there are quite a handful of systems that do actually work. For some Otherkin (and Otherkin-Human cross-breeds), most of this magical strength stems from their actual being. They are like living magical batteries that replenish themselves over time (the rates of time vary) whenever their mystical energy is not at full capacity. For all the other OK's, they must rely on the same method that pure humans do: drawing ambient energy. How one draws this energy can vary tremendously, even between practitioners of the same mystical system. Some beings have an innate mechanism that draws magical energy, while others (like humans) must cause the energy to manifest itself through non-natural means. These means can vary between prayers, drawing circles with occult designs in them, chanting, performing rituals, sacrifices, ingestion of certain materials (some even magical), meditation, and so on and so forth.

While the average human will most likely never come across a means to truly use magic, those who are in contact with the Otherkin have a much greater chance at this. Even so, the ability to manipulate reality can be a jealously-guarded secret, but there are those willing to trade knowledge for money, power, sex, and so on.

Back
Top Bottom