Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The demon and his bride [JMontavale and Ashleebabe]

I went outside. There were no humans out at such an hour, for which I was glad. I didn't feel like dealing with mortals at the moment. I put my boots back on and went to sit under a nearby tree. All I know of you is that you are obviously a proper lady and that you are beautiful, I thought angrily as I sat there. How can I praise your other qualities if I don't yet know what they are? I scoffed aloud. Tolerance and patience do not number among them, I'd wager.

I drifted slowly to sleep. The night's chill did not bother me. I am made of sterner stuff than that. But my anger and confusion made getting to sleep difficult. I did not wish to offend you, Marguerite, I thought. The uneasiness I felt wasn't guilt. Guilt is a mortal concern, far beneath me.

I woke the next mornign still alone in my room. I looked out the window and saw the Focalor asleep outside under the tree. I decided to go out and see if you he wanted to continue. "I'm sorry about last night, you were right about the situation and I overreacted. I just was a little upset about what had happened still."

I was surprised when it was Marguerite who came to wake me. I was even more surprised when she apologized and even asked if I wished to continue with her. I stood and put my coat back on.

"You have had a very difficult ordeal," I said as softly as I could manage. "I should have been more understanding and less prideful. I am sorry for the insult I paid you. It was not my intention, but I will try to be more careful." I glanced back at the inn. "Now, let us go and have some breakfast. I do not know how much further we have to go, nor if there are more inns along the way. Do we need to buy some rations before we continue our journey?"

I nodded and took his hand in mine. "I do not think I will be needing any rations but you may. My home is just on the other side of town and I can make it before nightfall. I do not know what you wishes are but I should be going soon. I do thank you for everything that you have done for me but I should be going." I slipped on my borrowed cloak's hood. "Its been a pleasure Focalor."

I smiled as best I could, though I did not like the idea of Marguerite leaving me.

It has been my pleasure, Marguerite," I assured her, which was at least partly true. "I wish there had been a chance to get to know you better." This was entirely true. I especially wished to "know" her in a very physical and intimate sense. I frowned in a puzzled and uncertain fashion, with was not entirely an act. I truly was in an unknown land, and I felt more ill at ease about it than was usual for me.

"I do not know what I will do now," I said. "This land is unfamiliar to me, and I don't know how to return to my own country."

Back
Top Bottom