Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Irish Beauty (butterfly0408/Kolath)

She watched the couples and while she understood a little better, now her heart was troubled in a totally different way. "But I am not like them. Look at them," she pointed to them gently, "Look." Their smiling faces at one another, the looks of suggestion as they slipped into the trees. "They have a purpose in this world, far greater than mine." Love. With a sigh, she turned and started to walk back towards the horse and spoke under her breath, "I don't have a purpose."

She had gotten about 20 feet away from him at this point, when something moved in the tree over her head. It happened in a flash, but soon one man pounced down upon her, knocking her to the ground and quickly pulling a rope out and struggling to bind her wrists as she fought against him, kicking and crying out for help. It was one of the warriors of the village, it seemed they had been followed after all. "You do have a purpose my pretty thing. To die for Kiel! That is YOUR purpose on this planet!"

While that one man went after her, two others sprang from the trees and went to attack Alan.

Alan had been turning around to console her when the one jumped her. his sword was out in a moment and he blocked the first two strikes of the ones closing in on him. That was all they got, spears of light shot out of his hand skewering the two before receding his eyes settling on the one that held Kiara. After the man had secured her bonds he stood drawing a sword that seemed to absorb light and turning her over saying, â??Watch as your savior meets his end.â?

Alan just stood confident waiting for the man to strike. He didnâ??t have to wait long it was a high overhand strike to split Alan from shoulder to hip. With a burst of light Alanâ??s sword met his and bright blue eyes were clear and confident knowing the outcome of his battle before he had even joined it. The servant of Kiel was suddenly flipped through the air and before he touched ground Alanâ??s sword was through his heart.

Eyes remaining closed Alan cleaned his sword then freed her finally looking it her emerald eyes, clearly with tears in his eyes. â??Are you hurt?â?

Kiara was silent, shaking and silent. Tears in her eyes too, she wanted to throw her arms around him and hold herself to him. A rock in a stormy sea to cling too. But a voice seemed to invade her thoughts. 'I'll kill anyone that stands in my way to you...' And she knew that especially meant Alan. Lowering her head and hugging her knees to herself she only shook her head in a 'no' manner as a reply for him. She was not hurt physically but emotionally and mentally now, she was hurting. Anyone she got close to was at risk. Kiel would not stop. "I can't go home..." she whispered as the realization hit her.

He gently brushed her hair back seeing the look in her eyes. He could sense the words that had been spoken to her across the space between Kiel and her. he knew that it was making her fearful and that he needed to do something. His hands slipped over her cheeks gently covering her ears his holy magic working in his hands to coat her eats with what would feel like a warmth but the spell would block out any more of a dark godâ??s words. â??Shhhâ?¦â? his lips touched her forehead trying to sooth her. â??It will be ok Kiara I wonâ??t let anything happen to youâ?¦he canâ??t beat me he is darkness I am the light darkness never hides light.â? He knew that wasnâ??t always true but it was something to help her calm down.

She shook her head, "But can you protect my family? My friends? My entire village?" Sighing she turned her head so that his hands could not touch her any longer. "If I return home, it's not just me in danger Alan. Everyone there would be in danger. I can't do that to them. I'd sooner send myself right back to his alter then put my family in danger."

He gently helped her to her feet, â??Listen I know that you are scared right now and that it seems like they can track us anywhere but they canâ??t.â? His hands rubbed her arms softly looking into her eyes. â??I will make sure that they can never come after you or any of the ones you love. I will not leave you without being sure that they are unable to come after you.â?

But then one day he would leave...

What made her think of that suddenly? Over all her other worries, what made her think of loosing him first? She shook her head slightly to snap her out of it and sighed, "Alright, I will keep moving. But the moment one more of Kiel's men shows themselves, I am going as far away from my family and... and from you as I can possibly get."

He frowned a little as she mentioned getting away from him if she ever saw another of Kielâ??s men. Therefore he would just have to be sure that she never saw any of them. â??Very wellâ?¦come we need to head out.â? He took her hand and started back to his horse helping her back up before climbing up behind her expanding his senses to keep a eye out for anyone coming at them so he knew they were there before she saw them.

The mood was tense as she followed him and rejoined him up upon the horse. Silence. Much silence as the rode on. She didn't know what to say. Was there anything too say? She had given him an ultimatum, hadn't she? Where had it come from? And would she go through with it if it came down to it? She was so confused and so worried that it would come down to that choice. It was all so wrong. What had happened to her simple life? Kiel had.

He held her as the rode his arms just gently around her holding the reins guiding the horse with his knees. They rode till they arrived at a town about midday. â??This is as far as we can make it todayâ?¦the next town is a full days trip so we had best stop here for the night.â? He guided the horse with his knees slipping off and then turning to help her down, â??Iâ??ll see about a room and then we can go check out the market if you would likeâ?¦you seem like you could use a bit of real life to come back.â?

Looking around the village, Kiara sighed. While he tended to getting them a room, she took it upon herself to tend to the horse. The last thing she really wanted to for him to make her feel even worse by buying her things, but she would not deny him the right to do so. She would however pick the smallest, cheapest thing in the entire market. She refused to let him spend to much upon her.

He got the room without too much trouble and he quickly came out to the horse. He hadnâ??t told her everything about why he was being so nice and close to her. he knew that Kiel never would give up trying to get her and so that meant he would have to stay around her and her family. He sighed he had known that he would develop feelings for her the moment he was assigned this mission he just wish he could be sure that she wasnâ??t just falling for the one that save her. his hand rested on her shoulder, â??Nicely doneâ?¦ready?â?

Kiara just nodded her head lightly and soon they were off, taking a slow walk through the market. For most of the time, they walked together in silence, just glancing at items from vender to vender. Stall to stall. Her gaze never stayed on one item or another for very long before it was on to the next again. Then, suddenly, Kiara's eyes spotted an item that was so beautiful that she could not help but let it capture her eye. A beautiful and elaborate green skirt. Patterns, designs, all around the trim. For a moment, she ran her hand over the fabric. One could see in her eyes her attraction to the beautiful garment, but she passed the item off once again, just like she had with everything else she had seen during this day. She pretended like it meant nothing.

He had noticed what she did with the items and couldnâ??t help but sigh now and then wishing she would let him pamper her a little. His eyes caught the skirt too and smiled noticing that for a moment she was captivated by it and knew she really wanted it even though she tried to not show it. He took her arm as she tried to ignore it, going back to the stall, â??Excuse me do you alter your clothes to fit the person?â? the female vender nodded and Alan smiled pointing to the skirt. â??I would like you to take measurements on my friend here for that and have it altered for her.â? the woman smiled nodding, â??Gladly sir would you friend like to come with me back behind this curtain so we can try it on because I think I will need to take it in a bit.â? The lady held the curtain back and Alan gently encouraged Kiara to go.

Kiara stood looking at both the vender and at Alan before she shook her head slightly and asked, "How much is it?"

The vender gave the skirt another glance, "It's a rare fabric in these parts so that makes it a bit more pricey then my other items-"

She would not let her finish then as she raised her hand to hault the rest of that. It was all she needed to hear, "Then show me something else." She spotted a random skirt nearby that was clearly a cheaper item. It was much uglier as well. Pointing to it, "That one instead."

"THAT one?" the vender said in shock as she looked to the brown, bland skirt, picking up that item and making an ugly face at it, "But this is so... so..."

"More my style," Kiara said with a smile, or at least all she could attempt of a smile that is. "I will fit in better in that one then I will in the green."

"But the green... it brings out your eyes..."

"Where I am from, my eyes don't need to be brought out."

"Sir, tell her," the vendor looked to Alan to help convince Kiara into buy the much nicer skirt rather than the ugly one.

He sighed as she objected and just shook his head. â??Fine you can get that one.â? He shrugged at the vender and then nodded to the dressing curtain, â??You still need to get the measurements taken one skirt or the other. He wasnâ??t at all done with this as soon as she walked back behind the curtain he pulled the vender back, â??Take the measurements and then alter the green one I will pay for it when I come back to pick it upâ?¦make it later today that it needs to be picked up.â? She nodded before heading back behind the curtain also.

Kiara smiled at him, beaming with a look of pride and accomplishment on her face. She thought she had won this round with him. If only she knew that he had a trump card still in his pocket. Going with the vendor into the back, it only took a few minutes to get all the measurements that the vendor needed and then she was back out front with Alan once again, "She said to return in three hours for it. The alterations are only a few. She said it should practically fit me as it, but she wants to make it a perfect fit." Kiara still had that victory smile on her face. She'd only find out later that it was not a triumphant at all.

Alan nodded winking at the vender who began to work on the plain skirt smiling. Alan quickly led her away over toward the part of the market where they had fresh food ready. His hand rested lightly on her back as he motioned about the gathering place. â??What should we have for dinner they have many things that you wouldnâ??t normally find in such a small town. Tell me what do you want?â?

Even Kiara had to admit, the smells her making her mouth water. There were foods there she had not even seen before. Foods from her own land as well as from others as well. It was a chance to real indulge in things beyond her limits, but it ended up with her being practical once again. Not to much so for any reason other than it didn't really hit her to reach for her limits and past them... "Well considering we still have a long journey ahead of us, a hearty stew would certainly give us the energy to keep on going forward. A hearty meal makes us hearty indeed.

He just blinked looking at the back of her head as he had stayed just a step behind her. he could hardly believe that she lacked so much interest in what was offered here. His hand slipped around her waist and he smiled. â??And were we continuing on the path tonight then I would agree. However we are not and I feel like something a bit moreâ?¦different shall we say.â? He was bigger then her and much stronger and it wasnâ??t hard for him to quickly guide her over to one of the stalls run by a family from the far east.

The grandfather was working hard over a fire and a large deep pan cooking up cornels of what a well traveled person would know as rice, along with many vegetables mixed in. To another side the eldest son was working with another form of rice spreading it on what looked like dried leaves and added fresh vegetables and fish to the center before rolling it up and cutting it into different size pieces one of which was offered to them as a sample to get them to pay from them. There were many other things near that part more than even Alan had seen in the capital.

"Alan... but..." she watched as the hearty stew vanished out of sight. Even as she tried to press her feet down into the ground to stop him from pushing her away, it did little good. "Alan! Why do you insist on being so difficult!" Soon they were stopped in front of the odd stand. Kiara looked at the... food... they were preparing. Was it food? The small piece of prepared food was offered in her direction, but she made no move to take it or to eat it. "It's... edible?" she whispered toward Alan.

He laughed gently nudging her forward. â??Yes it is and quite good too. And your being rude by not taking it.â? He couldnâ??t help but smile as she seemed so scared to try something new. He bent in close whispering in her ear, â??What can happen? Iâ??m here to protect you there will be nothing that can harm you just take a chance and learn something new.â? His hand brushed along her side encouraging her arm to lift toward the food.

"I am not being rude," she whispered back to him, "I am being.... cautious. That's all!" Finally reaching her hand to take the piece of what they called food. Truly it was like nothing she had seen before, but upon raising it to her nose and smelling it, it smelled okay. She guessed. Looking to Alan a moment before she wrapped her lips around the item and took a bit. After a number of times chewing it, finally she swallowed it. Looking to Alan, she had the slightest of smiles on her face, "It wasn't that bad after all."

He chuckled as she seemed to be so hesitant to try it but finally had to admit that it was good. He smiled speaking to the man for a moment in a foreign language and the man bowed to Kiara saying something very fast in that same language. Alan turned them away from the stand and motioned out over the whole food area of the market. â??What else would you like to try for the first time my dear? There are all sorts of things out there what should it be?â?

"I don't know," she said with a shrug. And she honestly didn't. "Why don't you pick for me? I see a hundred new things in this market, but I don't know what would be good and what you be bad." She nudged him a little playfully, "You seem to be a man of the world. Teach me, oh wise one."

Back
Top Bottom