Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Long Way From Home

It was around seven and the sun was beginning to set when Luna stepped out of her inn. She looked to be about eighteen or nineteen, her skin pale yet fair. Her long sky blue hair hung down past her shoulders, hiding her slightly pointed ears. Bright blue eyes glanced around as if looking for something. She called out once, her voice soft.

"Sky! Come on-time for a walk."

At her words, a little blue dragon-no longer than two feet-darted out from behind a raspberry bush. The splashes of silver on his head and wings shimmered in the light as he sat down at her feet, chirping happily at her. His muzzle was coated

"You are going to get a tummy ache if you eat any more of those...looks like our walk is going to turn into a trip to the lake to wash you off." She giggled, picking up the little dragon before she headed into the forest.

They did not walk long when Sky began to squirm in her arms. After a moment of struggling with Luna, he was free. He jumped from her arms and raced off into the bushes, Luna right behind him.Several minutes passed suddenly before he stopped and began to growl at something behind her. She turned quickly, but not quick enough. Knocked unconscious, Luna fell to the ground as a bright flash of light engulfed the two of them. When the light faded, they would be in another forest, much different that the one before. Here, it was spring time, and the trees were bare with the exception of small green buds on a handful of the trees. The sky above them was no longer filled with the light of the setting sun-it was jet black with only a few stars visible. Frightened, Sky nudged Luna, trying to get her to wake.

Alexander had been coming down from scaling the nearby mountain, taking the shortcut through the forest, when he was blinded by a flash of light. It took him a long moment for his eyes to adjust, but he threw himself forward to investigate. What he saw in front of him shocked him.

"What the..."

He couldn't believe his eyes, rubbing them before looking intently. And indeed, he saw it: a dragon and a elf. He took a few steps forward, trying to be silent, but it looked like the girl could be injured. So he rushed forward and fell to his knees next to her, lifting her up slowly. "Wake up!" He called to her, shaking her lightly. "Please, wake up!"

The little dragon chirped loudly at the man, nipping at him. He was only trying to protect his master. She woke to Sky's chirps, and someone shaking her. Seeing the strange man she quickly pulled away from him. Luna picked up Sky as he chirped and growled at the man.

"Who are you?" Her voice shook a little, one hand moving to rub the back of her head as the other arm held the little dragon close to her. Luna flinched-she could already feel the lump...

As the elf girl jumped back, he jumped away as well, rubbing his arm where the dragon was nipping at him. He was a little bloodied where it pierced, but he knew he could fix it easy. "Who am I? Who are you?" He was slowly sidling around her, so he could get going. Seeing her was one thing. Talking and maybe being attacked was completely another.

"Luna..." Those bright blue eyes locked on to him, watching as he tried to go around her.

"Where am I?" She looked away from him and at the forest around her. This was definitely not home...the trees here were just starting to bud, and at home the trees were starting to drop their leaves. Those blue eyes looked to him again as she waited patiently for an answer, now cradling Sky with both arms as she tried to calm the little dragon down.

He heard her name, and her question, and he sighed, stopping his movement. She did look lost, so he thought that he could help her. "You are pretty far from any city, Luna. I'm Alexander. You are up in the Lunar Forest. I usually live on my own away from the hustle and bustle. From what you have..." His eyes went to her ears, then the dragon, before going back to her eyes. "It might be best for you to live secluded, too."

"City...are there any mages in the city? One of them might be able to help me get back home...." She pet Sky's head as he calmed back down. "What I have? What do you mean?" There was a slight frown on her face now as she looked at Alexander.

His eyes narrowed slightly as he heard her questions, before pointing at Sky. "Your... pet. I'm guessing it's a dragon. A REAL Dragon. Nobody will let you have it, they'll take it and keep it in captivity. And a Mage!?" he couldn't help but chucle. "There is no such thing as mages. Like there was suppose to be no such thing as a dragon or elves."

"There are such things as mages. They normally live in the cities but I've seen a few that live-" She stopped mid-sentence, frowning more as she looked at him. "Wait a minute...what do you mean there's no such thing as mages and elves and dragons...there's an entire forest filled with elves in the west...my mother used to live there. And I've seen a dozen or so mages myself...and a few dragons, but they're usually very rare."

He heard her words, hearing her soft explanation, before he started laughing. "Oh, you must be kidding! All there is to the east are a very large and thick mountain range! Nobody can live there, the conditions are too harsh!" He shook his head slowly, taking a small step forward. "Come back to my place. I'll listen to your story, and I'll see if I can help you."

She looked down at the now calm dragon in her arms, then at him. "Ok." Luna nodded, and moved closer to Alex as she waited for him to lead her to his home.

He smiled as he heard her acceptance, and he led her through the forest. Even if it was a shortcut from the mountain range he was scaling, it still took another ten minutes of uncomfortable silence to get to his place. It was a log cabin, cozy but cold sometimes. He opened the door for her, letting her walk in first. "It's not much, but make yourself at home."

Luna set Sky down and pet his head before standing back up. She looked around slowly at everything, pulling her silver cloak a little tighter around her body. Everything was so unfamiliar...how far from home was she?

He took a few steps towards her after closing the door. "Is there something wrong?" His voice was soft and trying to be reassuring, as he moved to the fireplace and put a few more logs down, before lighting the fire, enjoying the waves of warmth as he sat in the double chair in front of it. He didn't have company over that often, so he used the chair to sleep close to the fire on the colder nights.

"Everything is so different here..." Luna took a deep breath. She was trying to stay calm, knowing that Sky could easily pick up on her emotions. After a minute she looked over at him and frowned a little. "Your arm.."

He covered his arm with his hand as he heard her last words, letting out a sigh. "I'm fine. And I know you are having a hard time. You just need to rest to think. The bedroom is though the doors behind me. Get comfortable and sleep." He rubbed some of the blood off his hand before standing, going to where there was a bucket of water. He walked outside with it, suing a small amount to get the fresh and drying blood off. He had worse injuries.

She followed him outside. Very slowly, Luna moved closer to Alex. She put her hand over the bite marks and closed her eyes for a second. After a few words, mumbled in a language he would not understand, he would feel his arm grow warm as the wounds began to heal, the flesh knitting back together. When all the wounds were healed she opened her eyes and stepped away, suddenly feeling a little weak.

He felt her behind him, and was about to tell her to go back inside and rest, when he felt her hand on his arm. Her words sent a shiver down his spine as his arm warmed up, the wounds healing. He was surprised, and looked his arm over when she moved back, but he heard her stumble, and he jumped up quick, holding her up.

"Come on, time for you to rest." He said softly, as he led her inside, to his bedroom. He said her down and left the door open for Sky to get in before covering her up, leaving the room and laying down on the couch. He himself was tired, and he soon fell asleep, comforted by the fire's warmth.

Such kindness...Luna had not seen this from a human in many years. They were normally very fearful of her and her kind, and hateful towards her little dragon. But this one...he had invited them into his home, and was even boarding them for the night. Smiling a little as Sky jumped up on the bed and snuggled under the blanket, Luna closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

He woke up early in the morning, the fire merely a ember now in the fireplace. He got it burning bright again before heading outdoors. He decided to do some gathering for food before changing, so he wouldn't mess his clothes up as he was outdoors. He went to the small garden he had first, getting a head of cabbage and a few tomatoes before going out, getting fresh herbs and fruits that he knew were there, and healthy. He took it all back, getting a small meal together for the two of them. He would have to hunt for the dragon in a minute. He set the food out for her before he went back out with a bow.

As he gathered the food and went out to go hunting she slept, sleeping rather peacefully. Sky, however, had managed to slip outside when he went to gather food from his garden. He headed off a little ways from the cabin, quietly stalking a young rabbit.

As he came out of the house with his bow, he saw Sky going around, chasing the rabbit around because he wasn't sneaky enough. So Alex quickly strung a bow and aimed, firing a good shot that knocked the bunny over. He went over and pulled the arrow out. "Eat." Alex said softly to the dragon, before going back inside.

The dragon growled as he shot and killed the rabbit, having wanted to catch it himself. However, he did not refuse the food, and eagerly tore into the rabbit, biting through skin and a little bone. Once he was satisfied he continued to wander around the forest, trying in vain to find a berry bush. After he realized there was none he headed back to the cabin.

Alex washed up outside with a little water, before heading back inside, finding fresh clothes and putting them on. He went over to the elf girl, gently shaking her. "Wake up, time to eat."

Luna mumbled softly and turned over. Sky chirped loudly, quickly jumping off of the bed to avoid being squished.
"Hmm...?" Luna opened her eyes and slowly looked at him. For a moment, she had forgotten that she was not at home..she was nowhere near her home. She sat up with a start, about to yell at him for sneaking into her room like she had so often yelled at the patrons who had visited her inn. Then she remembered and her body began to quiver as she fought back tears.

Back
Top Bottom