Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Book Club + Discussion

Paradise Lost as the next novel?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Re: Book Club.

PadanFain said:
For fantasy I frigging love The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Books by David Gemmel are good--very strong writing but it's mostly about warriors and war--spends the first half of the books developing these awesome characters then the last half killing them off in battles.

Some books that have affected me in my life that I love--all of them are fiction:

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. the book is a monster, so huge, but I love everything about it. The way the man writes is very profound. For a while after reading this book, I had a thing for tennis--the way he wrote about it inspired a love for the game in me.
The Circus of the Earth and the Air by Brooke Stevens. Most intriguing book I've ever read.
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Jack Faust by Michael Swanwick
Perdido Street Station, and King Rat by China Miéville

And I enjoy short stories from time to time. My favorites:

"Dance of the Dead" by Richard Matheson
"The Time of the Eye", "Lonelyache", "The Night of Delicate Terrors", and "Shattered Like a Glass Goblin" by Harlan Ellison

Also fond of the writings of Carl G. Jung, his analysis of archetypes and symbols specifically, and Edward Gorey's art book/stories.

I think you would like the Dragon Lance series. It has a lot of books, but it is very good writing with wars and such. But it's sci-fi due to the dragons and magic that are intertwined within the plots.

I share Padan's love for the Wheel of Time series. Those books have kept me going through many a long car ride and vacation. Its like Robert Jordan picked up the torch that had been lit by Tolkien (Who's books I also love.) I also greatly enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia. Thats most of the fantasy I am really into.

As far as other works of fiction;
The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis is a marvelous book, and certainly makes you question all sorts of preconceived notions about life after death.
Peace Like a River is another fabulous book, and one of the most moving books I have ever read.
I am a Halo nerd, and have thoroughly enjoyed reading the Halo novels. They give such an incredible depth to the story that the games themselves don't quite accomplish on their own.

I am the definition of a bookwhore. I can't walk into B&N here and not buy at least ONE book.

As a forewarning I like smut xD I also Like things that allude to a religious background for some reason or another. I dunno it's just me xD

Then again I own like...400ish books now? << Some of which I have kept from my Middle school days because they were SOOO Good.

ANYWAY! Let me go look at my books x3

I'll divide them by Manga, No Smut {Smut in my world means description - these books might have sex but it's not exactly uh, filled out? XD}, and Smut :D

In Red are Vampire books, in green are my Werewolf ones.
----------------------------------------------------------
Manga:
Absolute Boyfriend
Angel Sanctuary
Ayashi no Ceres
Beauty is the Beast
Bitter Virgin
Bloody Kiss
Count Cain
Fruits Basket
Godchild
Hellsing
Loveless
Nana
Trinity Blood
Violinist of Hameln
Wallflower
Wanted
- Most of these if you haven't read them can be found on onemanga.com ;3

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note - Most of these were from my middle school days that I heart <3
Non-Smut
Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith
The Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce
The Immortals Series by Tamora Pierce
The Protector of the Small series by Tamora Pierce
Daughters of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce
The Den of Shadows Quartet by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Archangel by Sharon Shin* - this book makes a very interesting mix of Scifi meets religion here >.>
The Fire-bringer by David Clement-Davies
The Sight by David Clement-Davies
Fell by David Clement-Davies
LOTR by Tolkein {Duh}
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Smut
Three Fates by Nora Rorberts
The Kushiel Series by Jaqueline Carey
The Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris - This is both Were and Vampire so >.>
The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop* - I marked this Vampire because the 'Guardians' are Vampires, however most of the book is based on Demons ;3
Silver Wolf by Alice Borchardt
The Carpathian Series by Christine Feehan - This is both Were and Vampire so >.>
Cassandra Palmer series by Karen Chance
The Immortals after Dark series by Kresley Cole - OMG YUM >>;

-- note most of this was off the top of my head >> I have plenty moar xD

--+Hahvoc Requiem+-- said:
If you want Scots, you should read Kerrelyn Sparks. She's got Scottish Vampires.​

I dunno - Scottish Lycans and Scottish Cursed men are all yummy to me xD

Eventually I'm going to get around to listing books; but I'm not sure how I want to organise them.

I love to read, mostly fiction, though occasionally I dip into non-fiction. I love escaping to these other worlds and peering into the lives of other people. It can be so breathtaking depending on the work of the author.

For Fantasy, I recommend George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" (though its already been mentioned. John Marco's "Inhuman Trilogy" (which go by the names of 'Eyes of God' 'The Devils Armor' and 'The Sword of Angels'). Interesting series which started off almost as a complete Tolkien ripoff... until everything changed. Good characters went mad, the handsome warrior was suddenly outcast, scarred and not so handsome anymore. Really good book.

In Sci-fi, I'd say peak around the Warhammer 40K books. Actually pretty decent sci-fi war stories for those interested.

For Canadians, take a peak at the non-fiction "Whose War Is It?". I'd recommend it to everyone... but its very Canadian specific.

=3 Plenty of books for me to put on the Kindle I'm getting for x-mas. Definitely putting A Song of Ice and Fire on there, and now I won't have to go out and search for A Dance With Dragons when it comes out. :-D

I've read so many different things by so many different authors, it's hard for me to keep straight. Most of that was back in the day; today, most of my reading time would be on commutes, and I bike now, so forget that.

I used to have the whole Piers Anthony Xanth series, and I'm a big fan of the Larry Niven Known Space series (his best-known book in that is Ringworld). Lately I'm a fan of most of Neal Stephenson, and Peter F. Hamilton, but they both write such huge, dense novels, such intense world-building and detailed character dynamics, it's not for everyone.

Other than that, I read what I can get my hands on. I subscribe to Analog, so I get a lot of short fiction, and I'm at the library semi-regular. I read a lot of older stuff, to get my Speculative Fiction credentials up to speed.

Given my reading habits, I do a lot more graphic novels than actual novels these past few years, so I'm heavy into Hellboy and BPRD, Girl Genius, BTVS Season 8, I just recently picked up Chew which has the first unique superability I've heard of in a while... Lots of things, really.

So...if Manga counts comic books count too right? Right?

Quick run through of fiction I have compiled or will be compiling as I progress through certain series.

Black Company books by Glen Cook, awesome military fantasy.
Prince of Nothing series by R. Scott Bakker, has some of the most ingenious magical system and world building I've seen.
First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, purely brilliant gritty fantasy. If you think George R.R. Martin is good then give this guy a try.
Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin, I love this man; he was my first introduction into fantasy that actually meant something.
Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe, just a fun read.
The Engineer trilogy by K.J. Parker, nice look at engineering in a medieval society and how one very brilliant individual can do a lot of harm if they know the right things.
Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson, only been working on the first one but so far it's shaping up to be a masterful piece of intrigue and side plots.
Kushiel's Legacy by Jacqueline Carey, I just love this series.
Dune by Frank Herbert, my favourite science fiction.
Warhammer 40k, I read it and enjoy it a lot.

Most of all though I'll buy up anything with H.P. Lovecraft's name on it, I am that much of a fan.

I've yet to really scratch the surface of my book collection. Others will come with time.

Oh yes, the Black Company. How could I have forgotten that series. I love it in so far, I recently finished the second Omnibus and will begin reading the third once I'm done with my newest R.A. Salvatore novel.

As for graphic novels/comic books, I recommend "The Walking Dead". It is a zombie series, but the character development, and the pure dystopian look on everything just keeps reeling me back in for more. It really is dark.

I also liked Y: The Last Man. It's about every man on earth suddenly keeling over in the streets, except for one. So he begins a journey to find his girlfriend who was on vacation on the other side of the world. It is interesting to see how the world is without men. It paints women as really vicious people once all the chips are down.

I have the entire YTLM run, and I don't think it's so much women are vicious so much as they're just as human as the men would be. Meaning some are vicious, exploitative, violent, others are reasonable, cooperative, others are dogmatic, others power hungry, others pragmatic... If anything, it tries to widen what we think of as what women are capable of, to just showing that women can do anything men can do, dramatically as well as physically.

Much better put MM. Though what did stick out in my mind were some of the vicious women out there... and the terribly misguided feminist group.

That's true. But I think that's part of breaking out of the "what we think women are capable of" situation. We don't often consider women as full-on burn-down-the-churches terrorists, because men take that role. The story explores women doing it too, so that's definitely going to stick out because we're not used to it. But yes, it does stick out, and I think intentionally so.

That is a good interpretation of why it works so well. I also thought the women trying to become men as prostitutes was interesting. Desperate times no?

Someone mentioned that they have books from when they were in middle school? I think I read that correctly. When I was in school I pretty much loved every book we were given to read and just accidentally happen to have the copies still.

Inherit the Wind
Ethan Frome
Summer of my German Solder

To name a few.

Currently reading World War Z.
Sadly The Zombie Survival Guide wasn't in at the time so I had to settle with the "sequel", which originally I thought would be horrible. But I ended up liking it quite a bit.
:oops:

Zombie- If you can find a copy get the audio books for Wolrd War Z. It's funny listening to Alan Alda bashing everyone and Mark Hammil being a crazy soldier from Yonkers.

For all you BDSM slavery lovers: Susan Wright does some interesting pieces. She's one of the spokes people for the National Coalition for Sexual Freedom so her stuff I find is more true than some of the other BS I've read.
SCI-FI: Slave Trade, Slave Masters, Slaves Unchained (Aliens capturing humans for intergalatic trading)
FANTASY: To Serve and Submit, A Pound of Flesh

I'll add to this later when I either look through my boxes of books or can think of some to add.

Book Recommendation + Discussion:​

All right, kiddies. Since this is a book club and discussion, I will recommend a book for you people to read and have read by...I dunno- within the next two-three weeks [for those of you with busy schedules/other books that need to be read.] If you need more time to read the book, that's fine. I will only add another book to the "book" list once everyone has read the book and if a majority has the book finished, I will put up the next book for recommendation. If you have a problem with the book or think another book would be more enjoyable, I will go by majority vote and will change the book if that is the outcome of votes. [Feels like an English professor. >_>] Since I know you guys like zombies so much, I'm gonna recommend two books, [You can read one or the other or both and discuss]

The first book is: Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies. It's a spoof on Jane Austin but keeps about...80% of the original text or so. It was a pretty good read, though dry at times. It does has some funny banter, however and also illustrations.

The second book is: World War Z. I haven't read this book myself and I don't know when I'll be able to pick it up, but it was suggested by two people, so I'm putting it on the list.

Either way, enjoy and discuss! If you want to put down your likes and dislikes of the books, feel free and if you want to know the next book on the list, send me a PM.​

Back
Top Bottom