Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

White Wolfers unite!

The Broken Lunatic

Super-Earth
How many of you are familiar with White Wolf?

World of Darkness?

Vampire: The Masquerade?
Werewolf: Apocalypse?
Mage: The Ascension?
Hengeyokai: Eastern Changing Breeds?
Changeling: The Dreaming?

If you are familiar with any games under the White Wolf name, please post here and make yourself known. Also, include whatever games you are experienced with.

And, if you know anyone who is familiar with WoD, recruit them.​

My history with White Wolf is listed earlier in the thread. Between being a player and being a GM trying to come up with crazy unusual over the top situations, I sometimes feel like I HAVE done everything twice. And I know a few of the clanbooks backwards and forwards, particularly Gangrel and Nosferatu, since those are the clans of my vampire PCs. So this conversation happened to touch upon my strongpoints.

But I am sorry if I gave the impression of superiority or snobbery. I can't help having run what I've run, but that doesn't mean other people's war stories aren't just as fun. I happen to have done a lot of "sense of wonder" adventures where they get to see the full weirdness of the World of Darkness, and having mages in the group always allowed them to tap the Umbra, and that's where things really get strange. I get a kick out of some of the things I've had them do, and I like to share some of the more creative stuff, because come on, who doesn't like to show off their own creativity when they get the chance?

But yeah, taking myself seriously? You clearly haven't seen me up in the chatbox. :lol:

Well, you've got to understand, to somebody like me, who has run a few games, but is overall still inexperienced, you aren't well liked. You've got all this experience hanging over my head, and you're intimidating. Then I say something, and you come to correct me, and nobody really likes to be corrected, you know? I also have a few differences in opinions, and some things that you've talked about I wouldn't let happen in my games, but since you have been at this longer than I have, I don't feel like we have different opinions; I feel like I'm wrong, so I keep my mouth shut and listen to the adults.

You get where I'm coming from?

Oh, the one who started this whole thing. Are you in right now, child of Malkav, or should I leave a message? Beeep...

Beep...

......Beeeeeeeep

Soup's ready...

KyouOkami said:
Well, you've got to understand, to somebody like me, who has run a few games, but is overall still inexperienced, you aren't well liked. You've got all this experience hanging over my head, and you're intimidating. Then I say something, and you come to correct me, and nobody really likes to be corrected, you know? I also have a few differences in opinions, and some things that you've talked about I wouldn't let happen in my games, but since you have been at this longer than I have, I don't feel like we have different opinions; I feel like I'm wrong, so I keep my mouth shut and listen to the adults.

You get where I'm coming from?
Oh, I get you, but it's really just a matter of perspective on the discussion. You see it as correction, I see it as opening a discussion, giving you data you didn't have before. I mean, not everybody has access to the Gangrel clanbook, so not everybody has read about Gathers, or how they tend to tell stories when they meet in the wilderness, or the like. It wasn't intended to be dismissive, and my apologies if it came off that way.

I speak about my game, things I've played and run, and the point isn't that mine is better or correct, but that that's what I've done and interpreted. And I share it hoping you'll share your interpretations, too. It's a discussion, not a dictation. Even a first-time GM isn't wrong, but it helps if they've actually put some thought into their deal, and don't think they, themselves, are hot stuff. I'm creative and over the top at times, and I keep my folks entertained, but people in the industry think I'm "doing it wrong," so everybody's got someone who disagrees with them. There's no authoritativeness unless you credit someone with it.

So, I hope you see better where I'm coming from, too. I certainly didn't mean to come off as dismissive.

Well, it seems like a lot of things have happened since I was brain storming. I have to agree with the odd "You can't do that." I once met some white wolfer guy who was all "You can't do X," I brought up Samual Haight, or however they spelled his name. Werewolf/kinfolk/mage/vampire? Hells, I'm surprised he didn't live on as a wraith too.

Anyway, I have the basic idea for a plot if it intrigues people. Let me set it up and warn you it breaks canon like a bitch:

You were all embraced on the eve of Gehenna, 1998. However, Gehenna was not what had been thought previously. The unknown sect of elder Vampires known as the Inconnu had set up the entire Gehenna mythos, the Vampire ideas, even the Antediluvians, as an elaborate plot in control. The fact they pulled it off was a great surprise to them, but they had grown tired of their immortal games of chess and decided a new game was to be made. For that they needed to wipe the board clean and make some new pieces.

The sect that was most prepared for this was the Sabbat. As sleeper agents all over the Western world awoke, their obsessive drive to beat the Antediluvians had kept them from relying upon the weak minded mortals, leaving them with much less of a surprise to worry about. Their Black Hand was ready, and thus they struck back hard and brutal, even allying themselves with the paltry Camarilla and the Anarchs. You were some of the shock troops made for that night and somehow managed to survive the carnage when elders clashed and Vozhd roamed the streets. You watched with a blood thirst unmentionable as unimaginable amounts of sanguine humors flowed down the streets. It was a night where you were not only a Vampire, you were a warrior.

The skirmishes died down after about a year as the elders of the Camarilla and Sabbat and even minor independents rose and fought back the ancient Inconnu. What really turned the tides was when the oriental clans, most often shielded off in another cloak and dagger game by the Inconnu, rallied against their own puppeteers. While not destroying the Inconnu, they were driven back. the hydra had lost most of its heads and needed to recuperate. They lashed back, of course, having decimated massive amounts of Ravnos for their audacity of breaking the news to the other Eastern clans and the Tremere for their ritual sacrificing all the Sabbat Tremere to launch a massive attack at the Inconnu.

When the dust settled and sleeper agents were cleansed or killed, the brazen truth of being lied to came to be. What was the truth behind Vampirism? How could these ancient Vampires have gotten away with these lies so successfully after basing the majority of them on Christianity? What was the reality of the supernatural? Are Vampires the next step in human evolution? If there were no Antediluvians, what made the clans what they are? These and much more are still unanswered.

Thus we begin in the year 2009 where much speculation has gone on and the presence of the Inconnu can still be felt. Many things have changed in the world of darkness as a whole: The "True" Black Hand disbanded because they realized they were a tool of the Inconnu to gather information on the lands of the dead and be a shock troop force. The Ravnos have dwindled quite a bit, still. The Daughters of Cacophony are once again Embracing men (and started the eve of Gehenna). The Cappadocians are back thanks to the Harbingers of Skulls Embracing some new talent, much to the woe of the Giovanni. The Camrilla has lessened and is now still more about living in peace with humans and staying as hidden as possible. The Sabbat's number has grown as Vampires saw how they were prepared and they were the closest in piercing the deception fabricated by the Inconnu. The Sabbat lost a lot of purpose with the being warriors against the Antediluvians, but the majority have focused on transcending their remaining humanity and becoming its lord and masters. It hasn't lost all it's violent swings though. The Eastern and Western clans have begun to meet more than the sparing contact of before, leading to different understandings of the Vampiric condition. The Nictuku, servants of the Inconnu to keep the intelligence grubbing Nosferatu on their toes, have been vanquished. Baba Yaga still "lives" because she is awesome. The ghost world was not rocketed by massive explosions and re-death. The Antediluvians do exist (well, some), but their powers were highly exaggerated, like a piece of wood vaunted to be from the true cross. The "living" Antediluvians were just Vampires who quickly lowered their generation and came into the power of those ancient Vampires. Who created them is still a mystery.

I see this as a sort of "New" World of Darkness, as it will be taken from V:tM and changed around a lot. Thus the idea behind the reality of the Vampires will be brought in and can be explored, the idea of Humanity (the score not the people) will be played up, citing it's importance and lack of importance in both ways and hopefully leading to the exploration of paths. The entire idea of your world has been flipped upside down, and the ensuing ideas of paranoid elder Vampires becoming REALLY paranoid, will be a main idea. Not only were you thrown from your life as a mortal into the world of a Vampire, you were done so when their entire paradigm was shifting, leaving you with even less of an identity to cling to. At least that is how I hope to run it. Of course, with the Sabbat, some mindless human football is in there as well.

This is in it's infancy, and I'll need to think on it more, but this is the basic framework without the details and restricted clans/paths and stuff in it. If enough people seem interested I am sure I can flesh this out and start something up. I'd like at least five people for a good pack. And it would be best not to pick out a clan/bloodline immediately, as I have not decided on what to allow and disallow.

Anyway, there is the brainchild of many a night of insomnia. I hope it tickles some fancy.

I really, really liked it, and I'd be very happy to be a part of it... Am I the only one here who doesn't hate the Camerilla though?

Seriuosly, I'm impressed with all the thought you put into this, this is just the kind of thing I've been craving. You have my total approval.

Yay, at least one person up to this. I should say that good books for this scenario will be Chaining the Beast, Sins of the Blood, The Sabbat's Players Guide, and if you want a semi-religious point of view, State of Grace. You can pretty much ignore Kuei-Jin, Mummy, Demon, and a good chunk of Changeling.

But the first three books are very good pieces. Sins of the Blood is recommend almost as much for just a good book as a game book as it is the only gaming book I have ever opened and then read everything through in one sitting. You can ignore the Infernalism part, but brushing up on what enemies might have is a good idea. Chaining the Beast will almost be essential.

Anyway, I should head to bed, it is way too early in the morning.

Wow, thems some lengthy posts (and wow, it's late here. I just had to retype lengthy four times before I spelled it right).

It amuses me how little I understand of what you say as well, when it comes down to WoD related stuff. Dunno if I'll be able to keep up if you guys start anything. XD

Don't worry about that. It said we're supposed to be confused. A lack of experience out of character won't hinder you, just pay attention, and you can learn shit as your char does. The others who actually know what they're talking about, they're at an advantage, yeah, but they're cheating, you'll be able to play it how you should.

:lol:
Misanthropiclove, I love it.
However, therein lies a dilemma: pre-existing characters.
I'm sure there are characters that players would want to carry over into this 'new' world.
And sure it'd be cheating, in a way, but I think it'd still be fun...I mean, c'mon, Malkavian Antitribu with Obtenebration 3...fun. Actually, one of the more fun Sabbat games ever played.

( I'd write more, but I have to go put on a shit eating grin and slave in a non-AC kitchen for overly fat, patriotic Americans. PMs are welcome. )​

I have played WoD before. However it was just one session!

I can't really make a character, I have no experince.....HOWEVER if someone would walk me through the books I would love to roleplay a WoD game. o_o

I also have vampire dice. :D With the 9 and 0's highlighted for hits. :3

>.> If that helps.

Mr Master said:
Selo said:
GOLDEN RULE OF WoD: There are no rules
The books are guidelines alone, and even at that you still don't have to follow them, lol
Yeah, they SAY that, but one of my friends (and a former player in my coalition game) met and married a former White Wolf game developer, and when she told him about my game (particularly after we added Changelings to the mix), his reaction was a look of horror and "you can't DO that!"

Which I actually was rather offended by, because like you say, at the beginning of each rulebook, they say it's your game...
Sorry, you won't get sued for doing this, so why bother abiding by what they say?

And even if they try to sue you, show them the books as your evidence, you win...

So, I still go by the Golden Rule of it is my RP, I do what I wish

Selo said:
Mr Master said:
Selo said:
GOLDEN RULE OF WoD: There are no rules
The books are guidelines alone, and even at that you still don't have to follow them, lol
Yeah, they SAY that, but one of my friends (and a former player in my coalition game) met and married a former White Wolf game developer, and when she told him about my game (particularly after we added Changelings to the mix), his reaction was a look of horror and "you can't DO that!"

Which I actually was rather offended by, because like you say, at the beginning of each rulebook, they say it's your game...
Sorry, you won't get sued for doing this, so why bother abiding by what they say?

And even if they try to sue you, show them the books as your evidence, you win...

So, I still go by the Golden Rule of it is my RP, I do what I wish
Oh, I completely agree. I was just kind of offended because the designers say you can do what you want, but object when you actually do. Hypocritical, is what I was pointing out. I wasn't in danger of stopping what I was doing, I certainly hope I didn't give that impression. Besides, at the time I heard that, my players had just arrived 40,000 years in the past and found themselves in a previously unknown advanced civilization. I couldn't just leave them in that situation! :lol:

Well, I suppose that means my idea is shot down. Ah well. I figured it was a bit of a long shot.

I figure I can be up for anything Independent or Sabbat oriented via V:tM or changing breed oriented Werewolf. I was never much for Mage, but recently Changeling has been catching my eye.

Don't assume, Misa-san.
When you assume, you make an 'ASS' out of 'U' and 'ME'.
:lol:
Anyway, don't give up just yet.

...something wicked this way comes.

It's kind of weird to me that you're willing to let people bring old characters into this. As I understand it, we have some first timers too, so I'm going to argue against that on their behalf.

Biff I say.

Well, with the idea I was wanting to run it would have been new characters for all. I'm generally not one for letting people grandfather their characters in unless we change editions but keep the game the same. Like I did with my Exalted group from 1st edition to second edition.

But I do agree, unless you can tone down your characters to how they were before all the xp and such, they shouldn't be allowed in any game.

Well, definitely not maxed out/twinked characters.
But even so, surely there is at least one character that everyone can say they hold dear.
Mine just happens to be a 7th Gen Malk Antitribu with Obten 3 who 'claims' to be the infamous Jack the Ripper.
Jacquleyn, she called herself before her persona fractured.
Or even the pack of Mech Garou I created for a plot in a Werewolf game.

ANYWAY, my point being we could position those characters as the 'elders' or 'primogen' in certain cities.
And of course with a well written back story of the character to be reviewed by myself and certain Storytellers of that chapter.
Yeah, there'd be a few fresh batches of shovel heads, but isn't that how it works to begin with?
I'm not saying these are the rules.
Still trying to collaborate with what you guys have given me as far as the layout.​

Well, as far as I can tell we have not settled on any one game, one storyteller, or even a plot. I offered up a story and to be a storyteller, but as best I can tell only Kyou was interested in playing that.

Not to be argumentative, but your response is confusing. It is as if you have decided to be storyteller and are just trying to gauge what we want or to gather up bits of plot before playing some type of game. If that is what you are after I am sure we can give you what we would like, but otherwise I thought we were just voicing what we would like.

Have I misinterpreted anything? I am honestly eager to start a white wolf game and the sooner we decide on something, the better I think.

What the hell? I said that I liked your idea, hence me trying to add my two cents on the subject.

I made this thread in order to gather creative White Wolf minds to create our own little WW universe to play in while here on Blue Moon. Didn't quite work out on Gaia, hence the trying here.

I'm also not set on a singular, linear plot with one genre. I've been spoiled with Uber games which include practically all species to interact at once with multiple plots and conflicts going on at once. To me it seems a bit more realistic rather than a universe that seems to separate itself from the others, much like how humans have this sense of detachment from nature. This is also why I'm trying to find people to be storytellers. It would be a bit easier to have a sort of 'council of storytellers' so that if people were to be busy with their physical lives, the plot would not particularly die off because of it. So yes, suggestions and ideas are welcome.

- huffs -​

Well, let's look at our goals and purposes in this thread.

We've discovered there's a population of folks that already know the White Wolf games and the general idea of the universe, and have an interest in playing around within there. This is progress.

Now that we have a population, it's a good time to discuss how we want to handle games, and that includes not only how we handle individual interactions (the mechanics of how we want to swing this) but also the overarching consistency of the world (the ongoing backdrop).

Now, regarding mechanics: Lunatic (or Gaz, I should say), you have spoken about how you played in a game online where the strength of the description helped sell what people could do and how well they did it. Was this free-form "open" roleplay, or was it moderated? I mean, did you have someone there who said "Yeah, that's gorgeous prose, but you only have a Dex of 2..." or something like that? The better we understand about how the mechanics could work (and we should come to a group consensus on that), the easier it will be to slip into the game.

Regarding backdrop: Are we looking for some people to run specific plots and moderate PC interactions, and if so, I think the kind of "GM council" Gaz was talking about might be a good idea, if only to get the grand sweep of things correct between those who officiate things. We don't want to get TOO formal, but we do want every GM on the same rough page. Thoughts on this?

Actually, MM, that 'free-form RP' was during a LARP session.
Live Action Role Play.
Paper and Pen.
- points to self -
Major nerd.

And yes, there were like six STs going around that night monitoring everyone, throwing in random plot twists, bringing in NPCs, etc.
The character sheets didn't really matter as much as a normal game, but they were handy at times.​

So that is what you were looking for. I was trying to get a game started of just one variety, which is what I thought was going on. Your previous comments make more sense now. And a LARP makes even more sense when compared to pen and paper. As far as I know, Minds Eye Theatre is more accommodating and NEEDS more storytellers that a table top game. Not that I ever got into Minds Eye Theatre after meeting "the blood sport pedophile" when I tried to get in once.

But, I am not sure how many people would be up for a game like that with every supernatural force in it. Many have stated how they are either new to the system or only interested in a particular game. I can see how that could possibly work with, say, a Camarilla coterie, an Independent/Autarkis group, and a Sabbat pack that would get together every now and then and meet up, but when you add the others in it could pose problems. The majority of werewolves, unless the Vampire has humanity 9+, see Vampires as walking embodiments of the Wyrm and wish them dead. Changelings see Vampires as a nigh perfect example of stasis and Banality while Vampires see Changelings as LSD laced blood. The others, outside of ghosts who got along with everybody, have their own qualms.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, it most likely has, but I have no experience working it together or having other supernaturals that weren't NPCs in the game. Thus why I was offering a stand alone Vampire game.

Back
Top Bottom