Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The coach and his winger (with celebstars)

"That's it. Work the ball. I want to see it moving so fast the other team can't even react to out speed. Move it ladies!!"

The Las Angeles Wildfire were the latest expansion team of the National Women's Soccer League, or NWSL. It was four weeks before their season began, and their first coach was still getting his roster up to speed. The Olympics over the summer had left some players injured and others unfit.

The front office had hired former US Men's Soccer team star Jeremy Landry, a former right back who had gone into coaching years earlier after a nasty tackle had torn his ACL and MCL and the recovery hadn't gone well. Now at the age of thirty seven, he was coaching his second team and determined to take the team as close to glory as he could. Despite being handed a largely rag tag bunch.

Aside of course from Toni Duggan, a young brit who had been snapped up when her contract at Manchester City had elapsed.

She was one of the more talented players. So Jeremy was already beginning to tailor his team around her.

Toni-Duggan-in-training-MF3B3705.ashx

The players were doing some passing drills, one touch only, giving each other the ball with the defenders in the center trying to intercept. With some encouragement from the head coach, the ladies passed faster, although for some, it was to much and the balls went wayward. One of the better overall players was Toni Duggan who had only recently joined. With her contract expiring and her refusal to sign a new one, her club were forced to let her go with their best wishes.

Her services weren't unwanted, offers came in from a lot of English clubs and although it was easy to stay in her home country, an invitation to America was to good to pass up. Toni had always wanted to visit America but to actually work there doing a job she loved was a bonus.

Hands landed on her hips after working up a sweat. Catching her breath, this time of the year was about building up fitness levels ready for the new season. Having been in America for two weeks, Toni was still learning about her surroundings and getting used to a new country.

With a break being called, it was time for lunch. Toni walked in to the new facility and queued up with the rest of the ladies. Pasta was served up on to a tray and the blonde woman soon found a seat on a far table.

The training session was enlightening. While it was clear that Toni would do well as an inverted winger, and Rachel Dalrich would be great running the engine room in midfield, the rest of the team was still very much in a flux. Jeremy had a bit of a headache and had gone to his office to eat and pour over tapes to try and figure out some sort of lineup before their first match.

After a bit, he came out to talk to some of the leaders of his team. Speaking to Rachel first, who he intended to make Captain. Requesting she come to the office, he went over to Toni and grinned. "Toni, can you come by the office after Rachel does? I want to discuss some things with you."

Going back to the office, Jeremy had his meeting with Rachel. Making her captain and discussing here leadership within the team. When she left, he had her go get Toni to join him.

Jeremy was still in decent shape. Though he had to change up his work out routines due to his past injuries. Still, he had a toned body, a decent six foot height. Dark brown hair that was still pretty dark and aggressive blue eyes. While he waited for Toni, he worked over a lineup on a hand held white board.

After a bit, when lunch was served, the girls went back out on to the pitch to continue training. Having a meeting with the coach who wanted to talk to some of the players, he returned to his office along with Rachel. An assistant coach took the session in the absence of Jeremy and some shooting drills were taking place. Toni scored a couple of beauties, curling the ball around the goalkeeper and in to the back of the net.

Once Rachel had returned, she walked on to the grass and approached Toni. "Coach will see you now" she said with a smile. Heading back in to the facility, the blonde Englishwoman found her way to the office door and knocked on it politely. On entering, it was the first time she had been in this office at the training center. When Toni had signed her contract, it was at the new stadium arena which had been built.

The man's office was quite small and cozy. It had a corner desk inside with some other furnishings. A laptop sat on the desk along with a telephone. On the wall was a white board with tactics scribbled all over. "You wanted to speak to me gaffer?" Toni said in her thick Liverpudlian accent.

Busy arranging things on his white board, Jeremy put it down as Toni walked in. Noting that she'd seen some of the other white board information. Though he was pretty honest with his team and wanted to keep them in the loop. At least while they were still getting into the grove and feeling out the team dynamic and chemistry.

"Great, have a seat Toni." he smiled to say, nodding to the chair across from his desk. Eyeing her, Jeremy had to admit she was a nice looking young woman. He usually didn't care for blondes. But Toni had an interesting quality about her.

"So I asked you here so we could have a chat. Manager to player." He informed her, being totally serious. "For starters, I wanted to let you know I've named Rachel captain. She's a bit more experienced and is a natural leader. But, I'm naming you second captain, and I expect you to take a leadership role within the team. Also, I wanted to ask how you're doing. How are you adjusting to LA?"

In her shorts and training jacket, she sat down in the chair in front of the desk. Noting he had the hand held white board in his hand as well as the one on the wall. Lifting a leg up, she rested her right foot on top of her left knee. Nodding her head, she appreciated him wanting to talk and to tell her she wouldn't be the captain. Toni had no expectations to be anyway, although she was grateful to be the vice captain.

A lot of the girls in the team were young, inexperienced and despite only being twenty five herself, the blonde had played a lot of soccer and at the top level. "No problem."

"I'm doing good. Not used to the sunshine, although saying that it was raining earlier, hence the jacket." Pinching it with her fingers. "Still in a hotel, need to look around for some houses. I want to make it work here, so want a place I can call home. But normally I am just at the hotel, I don't know the area well. I do feel home sick to, not seeing my family and friends. Family is important to me."

After discussing the new team structure. Jeremy smiled and listened. Training had started about eight weeks earlier. And it was a little shocking that Toni had yet to find a more stable place to live. But that should be easy enough to fix. He knew that some of the younger women on the team, who were making less money were in the same situation.

"I think that Jackie Thomas is looking into renting something in Sylmar that shouldn't be too far of a drive even with traffic." he informed her. "Why do you talk to her. She's fresh out of college and could probably use the help with rent and someone to look out for her. But do what you want either way."

After making the suggestion, Jeremy grabbed a stack of papers from his desk and handed her one. It was an invitation to his home in Pasadena for a cook out and team get together. "Everyone is invited." he informed her. "The team, coaches, trainers, etc. I'm giving each of the girls an invitation before the end of the day. So please stop by Saturday."

"Never really been in to sharing" she smiled. "Maybe there is another place, I mean, I'll have family come over and stay. My boyfriend already wants to come over and visit" Toni added, scratching an itch on her neck. Taking the sheet of paper handed to her, the woman looked over it with her eyes scanning back and forth.

"What type of get together is it? Do I have to wear something fancy? Or can I come casual?" Leaving the invitation in her hands, her gaze looked up to meet his. "I look forward to it, I hope it will be fun."

A few minutes later, Toni was out of his office and back on to the training facility continuing practice with the other girls. Despite not being their long, she was fast gaining a reputation of being the class clown and joker of the pack.

"Yup. I figured." Jeremy replied with a laugh. Already he could tell that Toni was a stubborn one who would do what she wanted regardless of what others suggested.

"Totally casual." he assured her. "I'll be cooking. There will be beer, some wine. Just a casual. You don't even need to bring anything. Just yourself." After she left, Jeremy left his office to continue the day's training. Handing each of the players and the coaches party invitations afterward. Finally practice was called around three.

On the party day, Jeremy had his home all ready to go well before party time. Boos were ready and chilled. Meat was cooking, and chairs were set up for the large crowd of people. Assuming everyone invited came. While he was cooking, he had posted a sign on the door inviting people in and to the back patio where he was located.

ZQzz99F.png

Arriving at the coach's house, Toni was wearing a black dress and had her hair straightened. Seeing the poster on the door, she tried entering the home and found it to be a success. Walking in, the place looked nice, it was sophisticated and elegant, clean and something she would be proud of if it was her own home to call.

Continuing through the home, she finally heard some noise and followed it. Reaching the back door, Toni slid it open, just enough to squeeze out before closing it once more. Greeted by some people already there, she hugged them and said hello to the coach. Despite being new, she was settling in rather well with her team and had spoke to everyone at least a few times.

"The food smells nice" commenting on the smell in the air as food was sizzling away on the grill. Beers were at the ready, sat in the ice cooler and chairs were set up on the grassy yard. A warmness to the air complimented the cold beers as more of the team showed up.

Party goers began to arrive soon after. Most just letting themselves in and coming to the back yard. Grabbing beer or wine from the house and standing and chatting while Jeremy worked the grill. After a while, the house was filling up and Jeremy had the first round of burgers and hot dogs ready to eat. The ribs would take a bit longer.

Seeing Toni come out, Jeremy smiled. "Hey, grab a beer or some wine. Would you like a burger? Hotdog? Some ribs? Those will be done in a few minutes. Would you mind getting me that tray from the kitchen? Trying to do all of this myself is a bit difficult."

Once all the food was done, Jeremy served his guests and then grabbed a beer for a toast. "To a great season!" he called to everyone. Most raising their glasses and bottles in response. Mingling around, he lingered near Toni. Trying to make her feel comfortable. But also because he was attracted to her.

"So how goes the apartment hunt?"

"A burger sounds nice" the player replied, walking over to the cooler for a cold beer. "Can I have cheese on it? No onions though." Toni added. "Sure" heading in to the kitchen, her heels clapped against the tiled floor before returning back to the yard with the tray in hand. Handing it over to the cook, her black painted nails matched the dress she wore.

Everyone soon had a serving of food, a mixed variety of burgers, hotdogs and ribs in everyone's hands. Raising her beer bottle, she hoped for a great season for the team and also herself. She wanted at least fifteen goals, that was the personal aim she had targeted. Sitting in a chair with her leg crossed over the other, her meaty thigh was on show.

"That apartment hunt? Not really had any time to look, when I have had time, no one can really understand me either because my accent. Not sure why everyone seems to think I am Australian." Chuckling to herself she sipped on her beer. "The food was great, I don't want to eat to much though, need to be fit for the season, don't wanna lose my abs!"

"You live here alone?" Inquiring, looking at the house from her seated position. "I bet you have a man cave in there somewhere don't you? A room full of games, or maybe a toy train set." She nudged him.

"Coming up!" Jeremy said with a smile as he made her a fresh burger. As well as any other various requests. Except the request for a burnt burger he got from Dave, his assistant coach. Who was given a medium rare burger instead. Once everyone had a drink and something to eat, Jeremy made his own plate and came to sit down next to Toni. Eating a plain burger and nursing a beer while they talked.

"It's that Liverpudlian Scouse accent." he teased. "No one can understand you well enough to know what you're saying. So they all assume you're just another drunken Aussie." Having played in England for a time, Jeremy was well acquainted with most accents. But he still enjoyed teasing his players. He'd gotten to know most of them already. Many of whom he'd known for years. But Toni was the one he knew the least. As well as being the one he secretly had thoughts of a somewhat dirty nature about. Not that he would let her know.

"Just eat and enjoy." he said, rolling his eyes. "You won't get fat off of a burger."

Once he was done eating and drinking his first beer, Jeremy raised his eyebrows at her teasing assumption he had a man cave. "Do you want the tour?" He asked with a grin, before hoping up and letting her follow him through the house. Being in Pasadena, it wasn't that big. Three bedrooms. Two small and one master. The house was a rectangle with the bedrooms at one end and the living room and dining at the other.

"This I use primarily for company." he said, showing her one bedroom that was furnished. "While this one." he said about the other, revealing a bedroom full of old trophies, and a wall covered in jerseys from the teams he'd played for. "Is my 'man cave'. " The wall had eight jerseys, or what she'd call kits, on it. An old LA Galaxy jersey, Ajax Amsterdam, Everton, Fulham, Dortmund, Marseilles, Club America from Mexico, and then a much newer LA Galaxy jersey.

"A bit of my career. I never got married, so this is my baby." he revealed.

Hopping up, she followed him in to the house as the rest drank and spoke to one another. "I'd love a tour." Running a hand through her hair, she stepped in to the home and began to let her eye wonder. The first bedroom was just standard, it had a single bed inside and a few furnishings which included a bedside table and lamp along with a closet.

Moving along the corridor towards the next, Toni poked her head around the corner and saw trophies and jersey's scattered everywhere. "I knew you had a man cave. I love it. I hope one of my shirts lands a place in here. Maybe I have to score a winning goal in a final?" Asking what exactly it was that qualified to be in this room.

"This is your baby? Awww. A lovely baby it is." Sipping on her beer, she lifted it to her lips, tilting her head back in the process. "My nephew has some collections that I managed to pick up along my career and meeting people. Leaning against the door frame she did love the room and then looked to her coach with a smile. "So what about the rest of the house?

Jason grinned at her request. "If you take us to the playoffs at minimum, I'll throw one of yours up here and get the whole team to sign it." he chuckled. "But it's early. So as we say, don't start counting chickens until they hatch." After the tour of his so called 'Man Cave', Jason led her out. "Well, you've seen most of the house except for my bedroom. Do you want to see that?"

The idea of her in his bedroom made him grin. He had wondered what that might be like. Her nubile and athletic body in his hands as they made love for hours. Both being fit enough that sex would be wild and passionate. Taking her out of the room, he showed her the master suite. A large California king bed, dresser, few personal items, and an on suite bathroom.

"So you've seen my place now." he grinned. "Time to find one of your own I think. Unless you want to make me an offer for my spare room?" It was only but so much of a joke. If she wanted, he would rent the room to her. Payment could be....arranged.

He asked her whether she wanted to see his bedroom, "Sure" was a simple nod, sipping her beer continuously every few minutes or so. Soon enough Toni was stood there in the doorway, taking in the view of the room he was now showing off. The bed was big and looked very comfortable. "Wow an on suite bathroom to..." Impressed she nodded her head slowly.

"Ha yeah...I don't know how that will go. I have home hunting, especially in a country I have never been to. I saw one on the way here, it's not to far. But us girls don't get paid as much as the men." Despite her last point, Toni didn't want to make this a gender debate. "We will see though.."

Then he made a slight hint and joke about his spare room. "Seriously? Is that even allowed? What would the club think, or the rest of the girls? They could think some sort of favoritism is going on?" The footballer seemed nervous and a little reserved on the idea of sharing a home with her manager and boss.

Jeremy knew some of the complaints the women had. Being paid so little. But that wasn't his place. he didn't control salaries. That was the job of the general manager and the front office staff. Not him.

"I'm not totally sure." he replied, rubbing his head a bit. "But I think it would probably be something that might work out. Truth me told, I actually have some investment properties in the area that I've been looking to rent out. Some of the girls are supposed to get back to me soon about if they want them."

Going back to the party, he got another beer and ate some more. A few of the guests were beginning to leave already. Around half still remained.

"Well are all the other properties taken? Are any still available? I could rent one from you?"

Continuing on with the party, Toni mixed with fellow athletes and teammates, strengthening a bond and learning more about them as individuals. Some started to leave and filter out, but being quite loud, energetic and jokey, the blonde Englishwoman was hanging back until she was one of the last three to remain.

Laughter left their lips as all three girls drunk in to the late evening. It must of been around half an hour later when the two others decided it was time to go. Toni was a bit disappointed, but she supposed they were right. All three were about to head out of the back yard in to the home and out the front door. Not knowing where the coach had got to, they all yelled their goodbyes.

"Sure. Given me a call and I'll let you take a look and decide." He replied. Liking the idea of being her landlord. "You can do a tour and then we'll talk about an agreement from there."

The party had begun to break up. And Jeremy was busy in the kitchen cleaning up when he heard the call from the leaving girls. "Bye, see you Monday " he replied. Trying to straighten up.

Once everything was clean , he sat down on his couch. Relaxing and drinking a beer while he watched TV. Thinking about Toni.

Back at training, Toni was becoming used to things. The sessions were becoming more familiar with her and she had built up a few friendships with her new colleagues. The morning's activity was shooting practice, something Toni excelled at. It was clear she would be one of the key players for the season ahead.

Time moved on and now it was a dribbling exercise which prompted the coaches to put cones out on the grass for the females to take the soccer ball around.

As per usual, after lunch, they all played a match together.

With each new day of practice, Jeremy was slowly getting the team ready. They had one more week, and then the season opener. A match with the reining regular season champions, the Portland Thorns. A team that among others, boasted US women's internationals Tobin Heath and Megan Klingenberg. Certain to be a major undertaking, Jeremy was pushing the squad a bit harder. Working on lots of passing drills and formation switching to plan ahead.

When the practices wrapped up for the day, he called the team together for a short meeting. Once gathered, he walked in and smiled. Giving each player and coach a warm grin before beginning.

"As you all know, we open next week in Portland. For those who've never played on turf before, it's not like our nice grass." his joke causing a laugh, Jeremy himself having been injured playing on turf during his career.

"So next week we're going to be playing indoors a bit to prepare. I want everyone well rested, hydrated, and ready. Alright, unless you need anything from me, team dismissed."

As the girls filtered out, Jeremy sought out Toni. "Hey, still interested in taking a look at my one property? Or found something else?"

Training drills were slowly but surely coming together. The team were understanding the manager's instructions well and following the session they listened to the coach explain the different playing field at their opening game. Once dismissed, the group of ladies and coaches soon dispersed towards the training facilities.

Walking in her shorts and jersey, Toni's blonde ponytail swung as she moved. Hearing the voice of Jeremy by her side, her attention and gaze met his. "I hadn't really looked at anything yet. I could look at yours. Are you free now after I get changed?" The scouser asked. After both parties agreed to meet out front, Toni went ahead to the ladies changing room and started to undress.

Once a shower had cleaned the woman of her sweat, clothing was thrown on after she dried herself. Light grey sweat pants and a light blue t-shirt gave her a comfy casual look. Waving goodbye to some teammates who were still in the changing room, she pressed on ahead out of the door and in to the parking lot. Here she waited for Jeremy.

"Sure, practice was the only thing on my agenda." he replied. "If you want, you can ride with me and I'll show you the units." Letting her go shower and change, Jeremy took a moment to make sure everything in the office was good. The buildings were locked up and nothing needed his attention.

Waiting in the parking lot, he smiled and waved Toni over to his car and opened the passenger door for her. "Shall we?" he grinned. Starting the car and shifting it into gear. Pulling out and onto the freeway. Which despite being in LA, wasn't too busy as it was midday. Shortly later, he pulled up outside a small house in the Valley. A decent neighborhood. With lots of homes with pools. A sign of prosperity in LA.

"So this is one." he revealed. Unlocking the door and showing her inside. "Three bedrooms. A decent back yard. Kitchen, living room. I don't know if you can handle the rent by yourself, so I'd suggest one or two of the other girls sharing with you if you don't mind the company."

Back
Top Bottom