Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Need help

Rudolph Quin

Mistaken for some sort of scoundrel
Withdrawn
Hey, so, I'm looking for new songs but I don't know how to find them because it's very specific and I'm kind of searching blind. I need suggestions!

I want to find more songs like these:

NIN - "Hurt" & "Closer"
VAST - "Free" & "Dirty Hole"
Radiohead - "Creep"
Weezer - "Say It Ain't So"
Matchbox 20 - "Push"

Green Day has some of the sound, Linkin Park too, maybe a little Harvey Danger. I've listened to those guys a lot and I'm lookin' for different stuff. I want something dark and emotive like these songs, with a hint of masculine tragedy. I want songs like Tove Lo's "Habits" but sung by a guy, you know? Like about being wrecked and fucked and miserable/loving it but not so wimpy/poetic that it's emo.

Any suggestions you guys have, I'd love to hear them. Please and thank you! :rose:

Are you looking for recent songs/artists of this type?

A Perfect Circle/Tool- Maynard Keenan is the singer for both bands, and they have a similar sound, with Tool being a little harder and more technical of the two. APC- Magdelena|Tool-Stinkfist

Deftones- Another vocal driven hard rock group. Passenager (with Maynard from APC/Tool)|Change (in the House of Flies)

Queens of the Stone Age/ Them Crooked Vultures- Josh Homme leads both bands, who also have similar sounds. QotSA- Long Lost Art of Keeping a Secret|QotSA- Go with the Flow|TCV- Bandoliers|TCV- Nobody Loves me and Neither do I

Ours- My personal favorite group of all time. I've seen them live 6 times. I'm a Monster|Red Colored Stars

She Wants Revenge- I wasn't a fan of their second CD, but their first is amazing, nearly every song impressive. Tear You Apart|These Things

Let me know if I am on the right track with any of these. I could recommend a few more, if so.

Well, I'm a product of 90's pop and that's always been my go-to for years, even as the sound evolved. But every once in a while, you get in the mood for sexy male vocalists singing about being damaged. All the ones I've listed I've found through soundtracks and I've had them on replay for almost 6-8 years. I tried looking for other stuff, not necessarily new but just anything other than these and either I don't like other stuff sung by these bands or the suggestions for other bands on youtube are super emo(like, no joke, scene kid singers) or old rock and roll which...is less "my life is a mess/I'm a toxic romantic" and more "fuck yeah! tits and drugs! ride them cars really fast!" I am hit or miss with Marilyn Manson, you know? So, I just needed exposure to something different and these suggestions have at least got me in a sort of direction without blindly clicking and being frustrated by the roses and gravestones teeny bopper stuff.

APC and Tool I really like the sound but the lead singer for those songs and a few others I clicked on, is really soft spoken, lol. I thank you though for the suggestions, even though they're not exactly what I was looking for when starting this thread, they are a new sound that I definitely like a lot. Deftones is pretty okay too, worth exploring.

I fucked died listening to Queens of the Stone Age and will probably be listening to a lot more by them! Big big winner! <3 <3 Very fun sound and love the guy's voice! Lost Art of Keeping a Secret is on replay for me now! New favorite. Crooked Vultures was lukewarm until I got midway through Nobody Loves Me and Neither Do I and it just starts banging. Like brutal and dragging. Absolutely love it! Bandoliers is a lot more upbeat but still really great! Love these guys!

OMG! Ours "I'm a Monster"!!!!! <3 I'm in love with the sound, the lyrics, the voice, everything! This is really great! Red Colored Stars is wonderful too! It's a bit softer but I love it, so morose and emotive.

She Wants Revenge "Tear You Apart" the voice is super choppy and robotic and although I've heard this one before and like the lyrics, I find it a bit hard to overlook. However, These Things was much better and less noticeable and those lyrics are to die for.

I love what you've suggested so far, and I'll probably be wandering the Youtube suggestions of other songs by these bands, so, thank you for that! Any others, I'd love to have them!

Hey Rudolph, I really have no idea if this suits what you're looking for, but it could be worth checking out some Nick Cave. Not sure if you know him, already, or have seen a couple of songs of his I've posted on my journal, but he is an acquired taste. However, his latest album, Skeleton Tree is one of the most emotive I've ever listened to, released not along after the death of his fifteen year old son. These are from that ablum, but he's a lot of other material out there, which can be hit-and-miss, depending on taste.

Girl In Amber

I Need You

I am so glad you like Ours and QotSA! Both favorites right there.

Ours-Distorted Lullabies This is the ours CD that I'm a Monster is from, and I think the whole thing is amazing. The second cd is decent, but doesn't capture the magic for me. The third cd is pretty good, especially Murder, Live Again, and God Only Wants You.

Orgy- There is a electronica/glam rock undercurrent here, but I personally dig it. Stitches|Re-Creation

Interpol- They have a similar sound as She Wants Revenge, with somewhat more abstract and cerebral lyrics. Evil|Obstacle 2

Pearl Jam- Getting into mid 90's grunge here Jeremy|Black

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX8-M655koE

KMFDM and Pig both have plenty of this sort of thing. I wanted to link 'Angel' and 'No one gets out of her alive' by Pig, but I couldn't find them online.

Sorry took me so long to reply. I've been listening to the albums suggested and yesterday I wasn't able to really log on at all.

Sorry, Quix. I like "I Need You" a bit but not for this particular search. "Girl in Amber" was not my cup of tea. >,< I will check out the album though.

Distorted Lullabies definitely has a lot of treasures on it! Absolutely loved listening through that one. Thank you!

Fuuuuuuck, xana! Orgy "Stitches" is fucking sex! <3 This is exactly right on the button what I was looking for! "Re-Creation" is super good too!

Interpol - "Evil" is upbeat but still has that delightful sound! Love that so much!

Pearl Jam is an old favorite along with Creed, lol. My two favs by them are actually pretty similar songs, weirdly enough. "Daughter" by PJ and "Sister" by Creed.

That was a really interesting sound, Trygon! I actually might look into more by them. I've heard of Pig before and seen album covers but never touched them before. I found an album on Youtube that allowed me to listen to those songs you mentioned. "Angel" is really good, love the guy's voice. Could not find the other one though.

Back
Top Bottom