Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Lovely Wings (Jenivue Grimm and Mancave)

JenivueGrimm

Super-Earth
In all of the world, there are very few places you could ever hope to spot harpies. They were a beautiful and elegant race but they were also very frail. The kingdom of Hera boasted their adopted harpy princess. One of the few remaining from the senseless slaughter years ago. Since then the race has hidden away somewhere with very rare sightings.

Hera was a blossoming kingdom lead by a king who was kind and carefree and a queen who was strict but understanding. Next to them were the treasures of their rein. The heir to throne, Princess Persephone, who was already intended to the captain of the guard. Her older adopted sister was Kilika, given to the royal family by her dying mother. The harpy race paralleled the humans in many ways. Yet instead of hands and arms they sported their soft wings. Their legs were also altered to resemble their birdlike attributes. Other than their limbs they looked almost exactly like humans. Some harpy's sported a tail, some didn't.

Kilika as merely their adopted daughter, would have no claim to the throne. Even though she was a couple of years older than Persephone, it would be her that took the crown. Many in the kingdom believed that she would merely wither away within the walls of the castle. However, the king and queen had already arranged for her marriage the day she was adopted. Hera had it's fair share of enemies. The hanging threat was the tension between them and the people of the north. They were stronger and bigger then them. The harsh winter and large hardened beasts made for their people to be very hardy but dangerous people. Which is why they felt that it would be right to try and improve relations with a marriage. The current leader at the time accepted and Kilika's hand had been spoken for before she even knew what that meant. Now years later both daughters had matured and her sister was in training to be next queen. Kilika had taken to occupying her time by being her guardian.

She walked down the halls of the castle in the early morning rays. Kilika had just come back from her night time fly around the land. She had a total of four talons. Three at the front and one on her heel. Much like her race, she had heard, she walked with the three down and the fourth raised. She only used her heel when gripping prey or a branch of a tree. Otherwise the fourth talon was always in a raised position. As she staggered into her room she sighed and made for the bed. Her leg armor and covering falling as she walked her way through. More armor fell from her body before she collapsed into the sea of vibrant red blankets. It had been a long night. Normally, the Harpy race didn't like to wear clothes as it was additional weight to their flight. Kilika, being around humans almost always, built up her strength to be able to fly with her clothes and armor. Though even the armor was as light as it could possibly be. Her take off was slow but once she was in the air, she could power up and bolt. She groaned and reached to her head to take off the adornment that rested there. It was placed on the edge of the bed as she buried herself into the vast blankets. Kilika didn't have a crown despite her title of princess. Her sister didn't have much of a crown but it was still recognizable as a crown. That was because Kilika in face didn't have any true claim to a throne. However, being an adopted princess meant that she was decorated with jewelry when not on her night patrols in the land.

Kilika smiled as she tucked her wings under her head. She had always been told that her feathers were softer than any pillow, and they were right. Anyone who felt her wings had commented on how they felt heavily. Her sister has fallen quickly asleep a number of times resting on her wings. Not that she minded of course. It felt nice when someone touched and petted her feathers. She fell right asleep on her own wings very quickly.

Hours passed and the castle was coming to live. The king and queen, along with Persephone all giggled and chatted over breakfast. Even without the night time patrol, Kilika had never been anything of a early riser. They had tried for several years when she was younger to get her to rise in the early morning, but it was not to be. So they adjusted any schedule she would keep to fit the hours she was up. Suddenly their attention was brought away from their food when the royal adviser came running into the room. Then he announced in a nervous way, "The old leader of the north and his son, currently leader of the northern people, are here to speak with your highness." He turned to face the two towering men who had come into the room now. The king put on a kind smile and stood from his seat. Then he said,"Of course I shall speak with them. Come, come! Won't you join us for breakfast! You have traveled a long way, I insist." The staff acted quickly as they prepared the setting for two more people at the large table on the left side of the table next to the king as the rest of the royal family was to his right. The plates were already being filled with food as well. When his guests were sat down at the table he too sat down and said,"For such a long distance, I was not expecting you so early. Had I known I would have been waiting for you outside." He gave a slight chuckle as he settled back down and then asked,"You are here to speak of the arrangement to help bond our people? The arranged marriage between your son, very handsome looking boy, and my daughter-" Persephone had a mouth full of her drink and nearly spit it out as she stared shocked at her father,"Kilika." She swallowed hard, somehow that was even more surprising. None of the girls had any knowledge that this deal had even been in place. She looked toward the upper floors where Kilika currently was still slumbering. Persephone wondered how her older sister would take this news.​

The older gentleman nodded "Of course. Do not worry about the greeting. We find such things unessary." he said, a slight humor in his voice but none on his face. The older man had long straihht black hair though it was streaked with dark grey and sliver hair now. He was clean shaven which was surprising. Both wore clothing fit for far colder weather. Furs and leather, over lapping thick clothing. No real uniform to their clothing but fine looking none the less. The only thing their clothing copied eachother with was the black fur mantels restingon their shoulders.

The younger man was the same height as his father, and looked much the same save for his hair colour. His brown hair was so dark thst ar first glance it looked black, his eyes, like his fathers were the same. He eyes the younger Princess closely, looking confused. He must think she was the one he was to wed but put it together that she was th younger of the two sisters. The old cheiftain spoke again "So, where is the brise to be?!" he asked, also confused by the younger princess's reaction.

They both ate then, listening to the king's words. They ate quickly, as if they hadnt eaten in some time. The younger man's hair was tied up a bit, the outer bangs beings pulled into a ponytail, while the reat of his haor being kept in place by the knot. The younger man was quiet the whole time, seeming to not be intrested in the whole talk, despite the wedding to be his. But in fact he listened closely, not too happy that this whole thing was happening. But it was decided, and it was a great honour in their people to have such a bride. At least amoung his people. H

The king sighed and motioned to the upper floors as he said,"Slumbering in her room on the upper floors. Kilika never has been one to rise in the morning. We've tried." The queen then said,"We suspect that perhaps its biological... That being said I deeply apologize." Persephone had switched her gaze to her parents. With a worried expression she turned back to her food while staring at her parents in the corner of her eye. The queen turned to their royal adviser and said,"Hawthorn, send someone to Kilika." Immediately, Persephone forced a smile and rose as she quickly turned to Hawthorn and called out,"Wait!" Then she turned to her parents who were shocked at the sudden urgency their younger daughter had risen and Persephone continued,"I'll go wake her up. After all, she'll be more likely to rise for her younger sister." With that the girl bolted before her parents could say anything to stop her.

Kilika was woken by the sound of loud panicked banging on her door. She rose her head from under the red satin sheets and called out,"Is the castle under attack?" It was Persephone who upon hearing her voice immediately opened the door and closed it behind her. Persephone practically screamed out turning to Kilika,"Father and mother had arranged for you to be married to the leader of the north!" At first she stared blankly at her younger sibling them rose a confused eyebrow. It wasn't long after that both siblings were downstairs. The king had been engaged in a bit a friendly chat as the waited when the sound of faint clicking made him falter. When a figure quickly darted past the doorway out of the dining hall even the queen's attention was halted to stare. Silence rang for a few moments before the king asked confused,"Persephone?... Hawthorn?" At this the heads of both his younger daughter and their adviser peeked out from where they had darted to. Then the king asked,"Where's Kilika?" Both their eyes turned to stare as his older daughter came into full view looking confused at the two.

Kilika wasn't much taller than her sister. They weren't exactly the tallest girls by far. Like her feathers here hair was also of pure white leading into her pale skin. Her hair and feathers were still ruffled and showed that she had just recently risen from her bed. She had thrown on some light clothing before going down stairs. She wore some custom made brown leather boots that stopped mid thigh. The soft clicking being made by her exposed talons against the stone floor as she walked lazily into the room. She had on red shorts and her top was a simple red leather corset that covered her chest and left everything else exposed. The entire outfit was accented with golden jewelry. Most of her clothing was very revealing compared to the clothing of any royal. However it had to be that way due to the differences of her own form compared to theirs. She was currently adjusting her golden headband as she said,"Good morning, father. Mother you as well. Also very honored to see the great leaders of the north sitting with us at our table. I have been summoned?" She asked the last question through a yawn. Her hair hadn't been brushed as she had been rushed out of the room. Her feathers themselves seemed a bit ruffled from bed sheets as well. The servants quickly moved to set her place at the table. They moved the sister's place one seat further down and Kilika right next to her mother. Her meal was different. Her plate was filled with various fruits. Food that could easily be handled with her wings. As she sat down a servant bowed and quickly said,"We'll have a fish cooked up for you, ma'am." Kilika motioned for them not to bother. Her father smiled and said,"Deepest apologies, my dear." Kilika picked up a plum between her wings as her father turned back to the men and motioned toward her as he said,"Our oldest of our kingdoms two precious treasures. This is my eldest daughter, Kilika. Your son's bride to be." She had been going for a bite until she heard that part confirmed by her father. She quickly focused a stare at her father with a stern but confused expression, making it very clear that she had never been informed of the arrangement.

"Tell me, is it custom in your country not to tell someone you plan to wed them?" the younger man spoke now for th first time. His father jumped a little at his words before turning slightly to look at him " Kilika, is it?" he spoke to her now "I am sorry, but your father promised you to me. I was told when i was young. You however it seems were not told." he turned back to her father "I am now the chief of my people. A king in your eyes. I can stop this wedding if I wish and my people wouldnt blink an eye. So I will like to speak with Kilika alone. To get to know her. To see what she wants. Because clearly I may be the only person here who cares of such a thing." he explained. His tone was level, and his face was unchanged from its resting relaxed look, but his fiat showed his true emotion as it was clenched so tightly, the knuckles turned white and cracked ever so slightly. He then turned his head back to her and relaxed his hand " Kilika? May we take a walk? I think you and I have much to talk about." he said as he got up, his plate had been finished before all the talking.

His father wasnt exactly impressed by his sons words but let them go. He was cheif now, and so was in charge. He simply nodded, and waved over a servant and asked for more food.

The king and queen were highly shocked. However they did not speak out of a bit of guilt. They hadn't told Kilika due to the fact that they were afraid that she would fly away. The standing and safety of their kingdom was heavy on their shoulders. Their eyes turned to lock with Kilika's who did not seem too happy with them. Then she turned to the eldest son as she heard him as he called her name. When he mentioned that he was told at a young age. Her eyes drifted back to her parents as she said,"No, I was never informed of any plans of marriage. Especially since these have been arranged for so long. It would have been nice to have been made aware of this before our first meeting as to put us on equal setting... Must have slipped their minds." Her mother stared straight ahead stern as she said,"Now Kilika-" However she saw her father had this expression and she already knew.

"Father wanted to tell me when I was old enough, you dissuaded him as you could not keep me to make sure this went through since I was fully able to fly away."

They went silent again and turned to listen to the now current chief. A very worried expression crossed their faces. Kilika nodded to his request and rose from her seat as she said,"I do believe a walk would be very much appreciated. Very good opportunity to talk about this and allow me to gain some equal understanding. Please follow me." She turned and left her parents who now were very worried. She didn't spare a glance to her younger sibling or Hawthorn and they sure as heck turned their attention away from the passing figures. Kilika finally spoke when she opened a set of doubled doors on the upper floor. It led into a vast indoor garden with various animals. Then she turned to him as her stride softened,"I do believe I should apologize on behalf of my parents. They are mostly forth coming about any information and normally I have very knowledgeable when it comes to the politics of the kingdom. This was a small fault in their judgement... Well none the less. Introductions are at hand. Well as you already know, I am the oldest daughter. My name is Kilika La'Fleur, though I am wondering if you weren't expecting the bride to be someone a little more..." She glanced at her wings for a split second and then finished,"Well to put it bluntly, if you were expecting a human."

He starred ar the garden, thye plants where he was from, some truely beautiful but nothing compared to this. Most plants were for eating rather than just looks. His stare broke however when her voice cut through into his mind. He turned his head to look at her before smiling "I will not lie to you. There were time that I worried about what you were. I heard stories as a child that youre kind had beaks and were xompletely covered in feathers. But as I grew, I found books that described your people and I found that I was told notjing but lies... Well, save for your wings and legs of course." he said with a chuckle but then shook his head "Im not too worried about that. What Im worried about is whether youre preapred for such a thing. My home is not as lively as here. There was vast seas of nothing but snow where nothing grows. Our summers, if thats what you wish to call it, are nowhere near as long as winter. And the people, my people are simple and hard, but if you gain their trust, they will stand behind you no matter what." he explqined to her "Ahh, forgive me. I have npt tols you my name." he said shaking his head at his forgetfulness. "I am Tiberius. Tiberius Grey. So tell me, what do you wish to do? I will not marry you unless you are prepared for it. I want pur people to work together but without the marraige, it may be diffcult. I know this must be hard, and I understand if you need some time. Ill answer anything I can to assure you as well. If we were to wed, you will be treated wkth respect. I will also listen to you, whether you have concrens or advice. Just as long as you respect me as your husband and cheif. Its up to you though for I am ready for such a thing." he spoke much better than others of his tribes and cities. Mostly due to him reading and talkong to others from her country and others. He also seemed mature for his age, for he was no older than 30, but acted like he had been chief for many years. He actually wouldnt mind wedding her, the wing and legs would take some getting used to, but she was beautiful beyond that. And she seemed pleasent enough.

When she heard the description she giggled and said,"Oh dear..." Then she replied,"Please do not get too much of wrong impression. When it comes to the happiness and welfare of the kingdom, whether or not I hold any claim, I was always fully prepared to do what ever it takes to protect them. My reluctance and distaste is sourced more off that I was never told about the arrangement before meeting my husband to be for the first time. It put me in a bad light. Most would think me ill informed of the basic politics going on or would think that I don't take my duty as their princess seriously. From a young age I had always been told that I would never hold any claim to the throne itself. I accepted it and adjusted my duty to our kingdom to serve as a sort of guardian to my younger sibling who will take the crown. I did so without grudge. It just hurts that my parents wouldn't think that I would be responsible enough to be told sometime before meeting you... Tiberius Grey, it was lovely to meet with you in person. My wish is the same as yours. This tension between our people weighs just as heavily upon my mind as it does my parents. I am fully ready and willing to accept this arrangement if it would help. I do have some questions and concerns, primarily just to avoid any surprises."

She carefully planned her words for a few seconds before she continued as she walked along the path,"Would someone be able to figure out how to keep me airborne? I haven't really visited your home and during our winters here I have had no problem as far as my more birdlike features go, I can only imaging the average day in your lands would be harsher and colder. While right now I do find myself more lethargic during winter, I have no worries that I wouldn't eventually be able to adjust. Would there be anyone who could fashion me something that would keep me warm while keeping my features in mind as well so that I would be able to take flight? Also when we wed, would I be living with you? If I am, would we be sharing a bed as well? As far as my duties as your wife go, what would they be? While I do pride myself in overcoming as much as I have as far as weight, even my parents and I have run into situations where my races frailty have been a concern."

The first question was simple enough. If he was able to fly, he too would wish to keep doing so. "I am afraid I can not promise anything beyond the promise of trying my best. I will have hunters go and find you mountain sheep skin. To my understanding, its very light but still very warm. But besides trying, I cant promise anything beyons that." he said, beinbtruely sorry.

He blushed and his eyes flarred opened when she mentioned her duties of being a wife and whether they would share a bed or not. After regaining himself, he cleared his thraot "Sorry, that caught me a bit off guard. Well, I had assumed we would share a bed, as do most couples..." he said, although he then thought of the fact she was a harpie. He knew so little, barely scratchib the surface with little books he had. Did they have a different way of marriage? He shook his bead, she would be understanding of that. She would know he wantsed her by him if he explained it. "As for duties. You would aft on my behalf if I was not around for whatever the reason. Your title will be misstress, and it will come with the same power as the queen. If not more. " he then brought up his hand and rubbed the back of his neck "And as for your other... Duties. Well, I say we ssee how it goes. I would do my best not to harm you, but I would ask for heirs from you. If that is possible that is." he said and looked to her, with a questioning look, hopful to know if she knew if theyre races could breed together, otherwise he would have to seek out another to provide his heirs and having two women in one life could get messy... There was many such stories describing what happened when a cheiftan took two wives and it endded badly.

Kilika nodded and replied,"That's all I would ever ask, is that the best attempts be made. I understand. My features do made certain things a bit harder. But as long as you try." Then she was a bit surprised by his blush and the flare of his eyes. She listened and then said,"I see. I do believe I have heard of children being produced between my race and a human. Were I living with my own kind it would require me to adjust my diet to not harm any growing life of a human. However, I've been living with humans so my normal diet would be very nurturing to that kind of life. To be honest I never really researched much on it. Mother told me various stories about the culture but I never really looking that much into it. I always thought I'd live out my entire life at my sister's side. I'll have to see if there is nothing in the library that can give me some insight to this situation. If anything else I might be lucky to perhaps run into another harpy at some point." She seems to be in deep thought as she followed a familiar habit of tapping the wrist of her wing to her chin before she shook out of it and said,"I'm a bit out of touch with marriage in general. There are so many different ceremonies, i've lost track. What is the ceremony your people practice for marriage? Are there any rituals I would have to perform? Do you have any concerns about me?"

He sighed with a bit of releif at her words. He did enjoy this, walking with her. Her voice, he found was soothing. Almost like a song from a bird. "Ours are quite simple. It will be about ten minutes,if that. But the celebration afterwards is quite more. Mmy fathers lasted two days." he said proudly. He chuckled "But i hope i dont have to break that record. As for concrens, your diet. What is it? I saw you were eating fruit and were offered fish. Fish we have. But in the way of fruit, mostly only berries and apples. Veggatbles are much easier to come across however. But how about other meets, and bread?" he aske her. He was concrened for her health. If she had a strixt diet, he couls most likely look after her, but he would have to start looking for suppliers in the ways of meat and fruit if fish and berries were not enough. "Besides that, I can think of no other concren." he thought for a moment and looked at her "Would that really made you happy? To stay at your sisters side forever? Not going out and making something for yourself? A home? A family? I would do what i must to look affer a sibbling if i had one but I would still want something that would procced me. It jst seems sad to me to think in such a manner." he said before another thought entered his mind "Would you like us to have two marraiges? One in your custom and one in mine? Like I said, mine is simple so many would just skip to the party. " he said with a chuckle again

Two days? They had been in celebration for two days. Kilika couldn't help but ask,"Two whole days? The entire village held a party for two whole days. Did no one sleep?" There was warmth in her tone though. He asked about her diet, then she replied,"Meats are alright... As long as its not poultry or any sort of wild bird. My stomach doesn't agree with it and I myself do hold some reservations to eating a bird. I have to be careful with bread. Also as I was growing up I did show an allergy to olives. Other than that I should be fine.

She hesitated a bit when he asked if staying by her sister's side would have made her happy. Then she answered,"In a way no, and in a way yes. As I said, I take my duty to my kingdom seriously. If the kingdom needed me to stand by my sister then that is what I would have done... Though I have always been worried that I was fated to just waste away within these walls. Sure I am fully within my power and right to simply take flight and leave once my sister is crowned queen. The thought did occur to me. To just fly off and try to find what is left of my race, try to live among them. Yet then I would be leaving the place and people who love me. How would that look. That their beloved princess just up and flew away." She chuckled and said,"I think I would prefer to marry in your way. Our kingdoms marriages for their royals are a bit extravagant. I would rather they put their heart and soul into doing so for their queen. After all, I will be with your people." Then she said with a smile blush,"Harpy don't marry per say. At least what my mother has read of them to me as I was growing up. They follow a ritual but they don't marry. The male either entrances the female with a dance or hunts or sings. Once they find a female that accepts they go into hiding and mate. The honeymoon period in dependent strictly on however long the two decided that they need to forge their bond. Then they simply reappear and make a home for themselves... They are a very elegant and beautiful culture, yet I find it fascinating how sometimes they can be so 'primal'."

Eventually, as they walked she turned to him and said,"I believe we have made my parents worried for long enough. Shall we go back down to tell them that the arrangement shall continue as planned?"

He laughed "Well, thats what they tell me. As for if its true, or possible, I have no will to find out." He nodded with a small sigh of releif "I think we can do so. " he said as he turned with her, and walked beside her back to their families. His father was a bit worried but seemed not surprised at his return with her.

Tiberius cleqred his throat after they enterdd the dining room "The princess and I have decided to keep to the plans set out by our parents. We also decided to wed in the north. I assure you, the king, queen and princess will be welcome to come. However, I dont know if it will fit your tastes. But your welcome to come none the less." he turned to Kiklta "I believe you would have had no time to prepare to leave. If you like, we can wait a few days. But if you eish to stay longer, i have to go back. It will take almost three weeks to get home." he expained to her "I dont know how long it would tke you to fly but o dont think you know the location of Cold Keep." the captial o the notherns. At first it was a milatary camp and base but eventuallt it turned into a whole town and city, but still kept its name.

Both Hawthorn and her sister were very surprised when they saw the two coming back. Her sister was joined by her fiance. As she passed she took note that both of them jumped at her appearance and were treated with a stern look. Then the two entered the dining hall. She stared right at her very worried parents who until now had been sternly speaking in hushed tones to each other. They seemed very relieved to hear the news that Kilika would be going through with the arranged marriage. Kilika thought on the location and then replied,"I believe I do know the way and the travel time would be shorter for me, however I do wish to attend you on the way back. It will bond us more and give me a chance to adjust to the changing of temperature. All is good and fun in just flying at top speed to a destination, but going north means that temperature comes into play. Cold Keep is deep in the north as well. As the bird flies... At least a couple of days to a full week. By then I'd have frozen to death. I'll have the castle servants pack some things. I should be good to go in about a day or two... Until then I don't believe my parents should have any objections to you and your father as well as any others you may have come with."

There were no objections. The guest rooms were prepared and set for them. Kilika had even made her own bedroom open to her soon to be husband. She was a bit unacknowledged in marriages or anything of the sort, so she just made it so that her own room was free for him use or not. As preparations were in the process, it became very apparent of her sleep schedule. For when people were settling down, her own energy had just reached its peak. By dusk she had returned to her room only to put on her armor. Which would become vary apparent to him, was made to make her look more intimidating. Spikes and jagged edges commanded attention while regal colors and choice clothing made her status apparent. She gaze out to the kingdom as the sun was dying. Then she looked back as the few that had come to see her off as she left for her nightly flight and rounds. Her sister waved to her goodbye, already looking a bit sleepy. Kilika saluted to them before falling from the stone platform they had set up for her when she first started. As the sun was still casting light, she could be found flying over the castle grounds and the surrounding town. Occasionally going from tower to tower. Setting things up to run in her absence and establishing the new ranking.

When she returned very tired, the sun had just barely broken the horizon. She once again staggered to her room, very tired of flying and just being awake at all. As she entered her room, her eyes stayed closed. Mindless of any other living thing in the room, she was quiet as she cast off her metal armor and clothing. Stripping all the way down to the flesh as normal before moving to her bed. Modesty wasn't really a concept she had ever really understood. Everything be damned, nothing would stop her sleep now. So she collapsed to the bed and burrowed herself under the blankets. Due to the preparations, it had been especially stressful.

Tiberius had left her to get some rest from his trip. They had a whole week and a bit to get to know eachother on their trip to Cold keep and he assumed she would be busy getting ready and saying her goodbyes and such.

After a bit, he wentured through the castle, looking over its strutuce, taking note of the defences it offered the people who lived inside of it. It was larger and far more beautiful than his keep, but Cold Keep offered its own sort of beauty and strength. It was once a milatary fortress, so it was stronger but once more not as large which was nice to have during times of peace. Eventually he spoke to some of the cooking staff of his soon to be wife's eating habits, and then went himself with a few gaurds to the local market for the food that would suit her best, but prepared for travel. Dired apples, salted fish, and the like. His guards were there more to help him carry things than to protect him.

That night, he would see her off, wishing to see her take flight. Ans he was far from disapointed. She was beautiful when she flew, and he spent every second watching her he could until she wwas no longer in view. He would then retire back to his room, which he found very uncomfortable. Too hot for his liking and the bed too soft.

The next morning, she would find him at the breakfast table with her family, ans his father. The males were talking over country agreements and such when she came in, and he rose from his seat to help her into her sear and push her against the table. Trying to be the gentleman that her country may expect of him. "So, Princeas." his father spoke "I wish to inform you we are ready to leave whenever you are. Whether its in an hour or tomorrow. Please take your time." he assured her and her husband to be nodded in agreement. "We wish for you to be as comfortable as possible. " Tiberius conluded.

She once again was prematurely awoken in the morning. It was by the staff to notify her that all the preparations had been done. With bed ridden hair, she had gone down to meet them. Once again she was in a revealing outfit. This time it was a mix with something one would see in the desert lands. She nodded and said,"A couple more hours and I should be able to set off." While everything actually was ready to go now, she wanted to give her body the time to actually wake up. So she had snuck off to some high place to sleep the remaining hours before they left after she had settled the last of her tasks.

It was between early and mid-afternoon that she appeared again. With a bright smile she approached the two families and said,"Alright, everything has been packed and set. We can set off to Cold Keep." She had changed again into her more military outfit. Yet Hawthorne did have something store away for her for when they reached the colder area. It was impossible to fly in but it would keep her warm as they made the trek. Her family was coming along to be there until after the wedding. When they set underway, Kilika was riding an open horse carriage with her mother and father. Yet she was sitting upfront with the servant who was controling the horses. Her sister was riding side saddle behind her fiance on a single horse. Kilika in her youth had been prideful and tried to adapt to ride her own horse like any soldier. Yet with horses it was just one of the things she had to admit weren't going to work out. She would have taken to the skies as soon as they left the city, however her father wanted her to stay with them.

She settled instead that she would simply leave the metal pieces with her parents and hover above the group. She was able to give a good leap to get into the hair and started a slow, leisurely glide as she flew above their traveling group. After a bit of feeling the wind under her wings she set herself to be right near her soon to be husband. When she was gliding like she was, she could fly without getting tired. She then said with a gentle smile to Tiberius,"Fair winds, not a cloud in the sky... It's a good omen for the journey. It'll be interesting to see what is beyond the lands out of sight of the castle."

Tiberius nodded. He rose a large horse, almost 18 hands tall, a fine horse for battle ans long distance traveling though most likely not known for its speed. He wore an axe on his belt along with a long knife, a shield on his back with the sigil of a bear head painted on it with a blue back ground and black desgin. None of his guard had a sword actually save for his father. Everyone else had a long knife, spear or axe, amd a bow. He looked to her "It can be taken that way. But then again, many of my people would say it meams the gods do not care. A storm could be taken as a celebration. Thunder are the mugs smashing tofether and the rain is booze being spilt. But if Im being honest, I prefer the calmness." he wsaid as he turned to look at her with a smile.

The guards in his company all had different symbols on their shields. A crab, tree, a snowflake, anaxe, a set of eyes, and scale were all but a few in his mens ranking. A few had the same sheild degins, but only Tiberius and his father shared the bear.

"Well, Im sad to say we do not have the same colours as you do back home. Mostly what you will see is white, grey and brown. But we have mountiams and they are a beauty beyond compared. I think you, of all people, will enjoy exploring them. Once we have some suitable clothing that is. ! He said giving her a smile. He put on a brave face, but something in his manne betaryed them, and showed he worried for one reason or another. In a way he evenyed her. She could just fly away if she chose, not that she was, but she had the choice that many wished for. "So, you never met another one of your kind? " he asked her changing the subjext.

She giggled and replied,"I look forward to learning and embracing your culture. I love learning the stories and traditions of other cultures... Those mountains are bound to be magnificent." She paused for a second when he asked about if she had met with one of her kind. Then she sighed and said,"In my entire life I have only met with three. My mother - possibly a village - at birth, yet I do not remember them at all. When I was young and barely able to fly, I remember a very old harpy who I had stumbled upon in a forest. I got sick easily and breaking of bones was somewhat common, she taught me a proper way to fly to try had decrease the commancy of my breaks along with an introduction to herbal baths to promote a better health. I made sure they packed up the plants that I put in my baths. No doubt we will need them for when a child is born. I never saw her again after that day of training. Then a couple years back I was hunting down a group of raiders in the night and briefly met with this ebony male. He told me where they had camped and we went our separate ways. The longest interaction I ever had was with the elder female. It was only for a day of training thought. She must have taken one look at the imperial clothes I was wearing and figured out that I had no one to teach me anything a harpy would know or even the delicate healthcare. So she was there to inform me before leaving. I tried to maybe find the harpy village when I was a teen once. Yet after that infamous slaughter, harpies became really good at just disappearing off the face of the earth almost."

The harpies she had seen seemed nice enough. They were weary of humans so it was always a surprise for anyone to see a harpy wearing imperial clothes. As a particularly pleasant breeze caressed by them she practically purred in response. She had always loved the wind. It made her fall back a bit but she easily pushed herself back into place. Then she asked,"So father has said once that hunting is a big thing for the northern people. Have you hunted many things? Do you have a trophy hunt?"

'Sad...' he thought to himself. 'To only know a few when you were so different. ' when she spoke he shrugged "We hunt when we must. My grandfather once brought down a mamonth by himself. The tusks of the beast are now used as part of the throne which I sit on. It is tradotion for each king to add something to the thronenow. The tusks are arm rests. My father put a saber tooth tigers pelt on the sit and back, I added the head of a bear to the top. But it is law, whatever you hunt, you must use as much as possible. The pelt, meat, bones. Whatever you do not use must be buried. We had hunters who took only claws and tusks or pelt. Such a waste. So we changed it. Well, my father changsd it. I agree with it. But theyre not so much tropies. But a way to honour their life by remembering them. Telling about their finally fight. " he smiled "But i can see the confusion. Do yoi hunt?"

as they traveled, they met travelers. Both from her home land and from his. All bowed to them as they passed. He nodded to all, and seemed pleased to see others on the road.he seemed like a friendly person, though at first glance you would suppect a hard man.

She shook her head and said,"It's unbecoming of a princess to hunt. When I was young I would play around with it a bit, but my poor health caused my parents to keep me in the garden instead of the actual wilderness. Once my health improved I did hunt small game to help the poor by giving them fresh meat. As I grew older and took up a position with guarding my sister as she was to take the throne, my time was so strict that I could no longer spend any time really with our people. Perhaps I can take back up my hunting."

After a while she and skillfully went from flying beside him to sitting side saddle behind him on the horse. It was such a large beast to her that she found no difficulty in finding room on it. When they settled down to rest she had taken, to some objection by her mother, to hunt when they were low on meat. It was always small game really. The biggest her hunts could get was a boar which it seemed like she struggled to fly back. As they neared and entered into their lands, Kilika had been snowbound. She dressed in a large and thick poncho type clothing. With it on it kept her warm but unable to fly. As she continued to talk with her soon to be husband she had actually started to ride with him on his horse more and more.

Finally, they came upon Cold Keep. She gaze out from behind Tiberius. He had told her a lot about their culture and traditions. Even the few small villages they passed on their way here showed a prime examples of their culture. She had been mystified and in awe. She had even told him what she knew of the harpy and imperial culture as well. Now that they were finally here, she felt a bit nervous. Her eyes gazed up to Tiberius and asked,"Are you sure about this? I mean, I'm no seasoned hunter and my body will not allow me to compete against any woman your might encounter. They might be better suited to be the Mistress of your people than I. They would be able to hunt down and gift you mighty beasts... We could renegotiate the deal set and instead forge the relations between our kingdoms with friendship instead... I'm not saying I don't want to go through with the wedding! It's just that the women of your people are by far more superior." She was blushing lightly. However with her keen vision she had seen and could now see the women of his people. They were taller, more study, and proud, strong women. They looked like they could take on stags and hippogryphs. Then there was herself. A scrawny thing compared to them, the best hunt she could ever gift their group was a boar. That was the limit of her body. Even by humans she was still a bit weaker. They had to be. Harpy were known for their flight, looks, and eyesight. Not their skills in battle or hunting.

"As long as you keep up with your duties as my wife and lady, you can do as you please. Whether it be hunting or exploring." he said smiling at her. Qs they rode, her at his back, he coulsnt help but smile to himself. She was so light, his horse didnt mind the extra weight. He liked having her so close as this.

As they traveled further North, the aeather grew colder, and eventually snow fell. More oftne than not, snow fell eventually. They came by a few villages, stopping at the inns when they could. The bouses were built partly into the ground to help keep in heat. Most of the buildings were mostly wood, but the flooring and the first two or three feet of the walls were stone. Most people dressed the same, though not as fine as fur. The offixals of each village had black fur mantels as Tiberius did, but where hos clasp was gold, theirs were sliver. The guards, including the ones following them had black mantels as well, but their clasps were bronze.

Children would stop and stare at kilika, but not fright and run. They saw she was with their chief and accepted her for the most parr, though many of the adults would stare and talk amougest themsleves.

When Cold keep came into view, it was quite the sight. Five towers stood, with the building at their feet. Thr main building wouldnt be more than three stories high save for the five yowers. It was surounded by a stone wall, then a busy town which was surrounded by a wood wall. As they approached the wall and the gate that slowly started to open, he answered her question "If anyone were to try and opose you, I will deal with them personally. I dont believe its love, but I find myself fond of you in these pasts days. Besides, I do not want just any woman. I want someone who will offer me something different. Not a uead strong woman who would use her head to bash kn a shield, but someone to use their head to get around that shield. As long as you want this wedding, I want this wedding." he assured her, patting her shoulder to assure her and a smile.

As they entered the city, people shouted a welcome to them. All waving their fists or weapons, smiling all thr while. Once they were in the city, a new geoup of guards appraoched them to give the old ones a break. They been gone for close to three weeks and some had families. Many starred at Kilika, but only few did not smile.

Once they went through the stone wall, only the military was there, or odficals and servents of the keep. A few people awaitsed them at the entrance of the castle. Five in total, two older men, one with a white beard, the other a grey black and a missing eye with a large scar over the missing eye's socket. Two women, one older in her mid fourties and the other in her early 20's, the last man was a few years older than the young girl. All wore black mantels with sliver clasps.

"Welcome back your Grace." the oldest man greeted them. He greet each person in the group with a smile, including the king, Queen, and Kilika. "Im afraid there are a few things that seek your attention right away my Lord." the young man said, not loking please at all.
Tiberius waved him off "Give me a moment. Please." he turned to the older woman "Mother, I want you to meet my soon to be wife, Kilika." at his words, the young woman with blonde hair glared at Kilika before turnin away and making her way inside. The older woman appraochdd Kilika. Seeing her you would see where Tiberius sgot his brown hair from. But hers was greying a bit. "Its a pleasure Kklika. Please, think of me as your own mother while youre away from yours. I know how these men can be diffcult some times. So if you need anything, please talk to me." she said before turning to Tiberiu "Im afraid that some of these issues must be addressed now. " she said frowning. Tiberius sighed "Alright, alright. Kilika." he turned to her "Please, sit with me. If you are to be here with me, you must learn how we handle the law." he said to her before greeting the last man with the missing eye with a firm hand shake but no words. They then went inside. Inside, there was the amin hallway whoch served as the throne room and feasting hall. The long hall was wide as well, almost 50 feet so, and a large throne sat at the end. Six pillars were past as they ealked to the throne, sure enough the throne had mammoth tusks and a besr head. He sat down right away, and a large wooden chair with leather cushions was brought in and set beside his throne. He first pooked to the king and queen "You may stay if you wish, or retire to your rooms. As im sure youre tried." he said, not wishing then to tire themselves too much. "Bring in these problems." he said tirely as he leaned an elbow on one of the tusks.

(Ill add the problem in in my next post. Dont aant it too long. Ha)

All the sights had her a bit excited. Her eyes were gazing everywhere. As soon as they entered she went stiff as ice. She stepped a bit to the side and away from Tiberius as one of the men talked to him. Out of the women, she found herself smiling easily with the older one. Yet she could see that the younger one was not thrilled. Kilika smiled and replied to the older woman,"Thank you."

First day here and she was surprised that she was to be with him to hear the issues of their kingdom. Yet she nodded and took her place by his side. Her family shook their head and her father said,"We'll get settled and leave this some privacy." Kilika nodded and watched as they walked off to their room. Her sister however, was there at her side. The two gave each other giddy smiles. As per habit, she stood at the side of the throne opposite of the chair. Her sister fell into step beside Kilika while her fiance left to go settle the two in. Still her eyes admired how their home was built. It was grand and felt so full of life. Her sister then said,"This will be a good chance for me to observe as well so that our kingdoms may have a full and equal understanding of each others law." Kilika nodded and both turned their attention to observing.

Kilika felt familiar with this position. Standing by the throne at careful watch. Though normally it was in her armored outfit and now she was in snow clothing to keep her warm. Still, it screamed Imperial. She'd have to go out to the people and see if she couldn't find anyone who could outfit some clothing to tailor her unique body.

The hallwas dark. It was all stone work, the only light being from torches and one window above the door they entered in. On the walls there were banners with the same symbols as the shields, behind them hung his, the bear. The floor was bare save for a long red carpet thst streched from the door to the foot of his throne. Brfore anyone came, Tiberius looked to Kilika "You can sit. If you wish that is." he said nodding at the wooden chair beside his throne then looked as a few appraoched. One of them was the man with thr missing eye, thrn a man with a woman then finally the young man they had seen outside. The first to appraoch was the man and woman. The man wore fine furs and slik, he had a black mantel, and sliver clasp. He was short and stocky, his black hair thinning on top. The woman was ounger, her clothing in far worse contion, she had no mantel.

The older man with thr white bread appeared behind a pillar "Your highness. Lord Ragnar, and his surf, Lillian. She claims she is due a payment by his late father, Lord Ta'Gave, while Lord Ragnar says she offered her service for free."

Tiberius sighed "Lillian, please come foward. " when she did so, looking a bit nerous he spoke gently "Please, what is the problem?"

she cleared her throat "I am cousin to Lord Ragnar. His ill father was on his death bed, uncle Ta needed to be looked after and so I offered myself to look after him. At first it was for free, but the best healers thought he would die within a week. Let alone three months. I had to quit my job and sell some things amd my house to live on the property. My uncle felt bad so he left me 25 copper pieces per month. So a total of 75." she explained. The whole time lord Ragnar looked displeased and bored, tapping his foot, his arms crossed. Tiberius nodded and thanked Lillian then looked to the lord "You may come forward Lord Ragnar."

the lord stepped forward, ognoring lillian as she moved back. "Im sorry to brother you sire. But as you heard, she agreed to work for free. I gave her food and a bed to sleep as she cared for my father. There is no case. My father was not the healthest man, both mind and body. Hr didnt know what he was thinking or saying. Lillian asks for what isnt hers."

tiberius nodded then looked to Kilika,asking her to lean over he whispered "And you? What is your judgement on this? 25 copper seems a fair wage but what the Lord said may to true as well." he whispered in her ear. He wanted to know what she thought. He already had what he was going to say in mind, but he wished to see what she thought.

At first she was hesitantly about to refuse, but her sister charged a head and pushed her older sister into the chair. She stood beside it and looked to her older sibling who was staring at her like she had gone crazy. Kilika gave Persephone a stern look before looking back and focusing. She took in the two figures and listened to the story. Both stiffened up a bit. It was a bit tricky of a situation. When Tiberius turned to her she thought for a moment before she said in a whisper back,"It is a fair wage, but I don't know your laws. Were the coin the late lord's to give away or not? Fair is fair, when she offered her services free she wasn't expecting to lose everything to be there for him in his final moments. My mind is with the girl. She's lost everything just to offer this free service to them. It wouldn't be right not to help her regain her life after everything. The coin would help her in her path to recovering what she had lost. The very least is continue to house and feed the girl until she acquired another job and home so that she is back on her feed and not on the streets. However, if the coin did not belong to the lord at the time then it wouldn't be right to force someone to honor a deal that was made with their coin and without their knowledge or consent."

It was the code of honor she had from her time training to be her sister's guard. Even if one offered something for free, if it caused more trouble than expected, they at least helped in what way they could. By Imperial law, in this situation, if the coin did not belong to the lord at the time the deal was made then she would indeed get nothing. But Kilika would make sure she had a place to stay and food to eat until she got back on her feet. There was no sense in making someone live off the streets for helping family.

She could see both sides. Still, her heart went out to the girl. Lillian had given everything to help her uncle with his final moments. Whether or not he was sick in the mind and body didn't matter. She stayed by his side and had forsaken everything just to be there. When she started, it sounded like she wasn't expecting it, yet she stayed and she should be commended for her loyalty to the family and helped. As she said, the very least he could do is still offer a home and food so that she can focus on getting her life back.

He nodded and turned to face the two. She thought cleaely and he liked it. But he also consider something else "Lord Ragnar. You are to pay Lillian in full. And next time you have an illing family member, instead of being so cheap, you will hire the nessarcy help. He was your father for goodness sake. I understand you took over lordship and have done wellso far, but if someone did the same for my father, most of all a cousin, i would pay them properly. Thats the end of it." he said, obviously angered by the lord. He took a few moments before sighing and waving his hand to bring the next. It was the man with a missing eye. He was big, biggger than even most Northerns. His brown hair gone on top, he had a battle ax on his back. "Now annoucing war master Benjin."

"My Lord, forgive me for trou-"

Tiberius waved his hand "For you uncle, its nothing. Please, just tell me whst is the problem."

the man, Tiberius uncle, nodded "There seems to be a few more raids than normal. We stopped one and captured several of their men. They all said thar rheir leader was... Rolo." he said relunctly.

Tiberius's hand clenched around the ivoy tusk before slowly relaxing "Thank you uncle. If it is true, bring me his head, as if he were any other bandit or raider." he told him and waved the man off. Tiberius leaned over to her "I will explain things later." he said in hush tone before finally the young man Appraoched "Lord Kenning. Lord of wolf den."

Tiberius smiled "Ahh, kenning! What? You couldmt properly greet me outside but must do it here? What troubles you that I can help with?" he asked as he sat up. Tiberius seemed to enjoy this man.

The younger man wore all brown, save for the black mntel. He had almost white blonde hair, and blue eyes. He had only an axe and long dagger ar his belt. "My king. I have come here to stop you from making a mistake. Marrying this-" he gestured to Kilika

Tiberius's face grew serious "Watch your tongue Kenning. This will soon be your high Lady. You are my friend, do mot make me do somethib we'll all regret." he said almost in a growl

"Thats it Tiberius! You want her to lead our people. If you chose her-" He pointed to the southern princess "I can understand,but that creature! Will your children not bare the same mutations? I thought you would have seen my sister, Cluadia as a good high Lady. We grew up together and she loces you. You know that. How could your back for something that isnt even human!"

tiberius"s eyes flarred open as he slowly stood up and took steps down to be level with Kening. "Kenning. You will right now kneel in front of her, kiss the ground infront of her feet, and beg for forgiveness or I will not burn your body." he said aking a step towarss him. Kennin laughed and pulled out his ax "Dont make me laugh! I kneel for no woman. Let alone a demon bitch!" tiberius had left his ax at the throne but did not seem afraid. He stepped closer as Kennib then swung his ax, side sweept for his neck, Tiberius duck then brought up his fist bashing his jaw up, teeth raming against teeth "I will not burn your body. I will leave it outside in the sun." he caught the next ax swing, and pushed him back "Cayotos will rip your limbs off. And wind will leather your skin." Kenning swung his ax again, blood sweeping out of his mouth. Tiberius caught it again, this time though he twisted it and pushed it into Kenning's shoulder, cutting through the leather and fur. Kenning yelled in pain. Tiberiues puled the ax away, Kenning fell to his knees, holding his shoulder. "I will kill you for talking in such a way, Kenning. I treated you like a brother. But you insult your future High lady. So she will decide. This got out of hand rather qucikly, and I hate to see blood spilled on her first day here, but our law is clear. She decides." he said as he circldd Kenning like a shark. Tiberius looked up to Kilika "I am sorry Kilika, but this is the law. He will die here if you feel he should. I can also strip him of rank and riches, or leave him with a warning to not speak to the high lady in such a way." he explained to her from his spot behind the kneeling man,who looked up at Kilika, his eyes filled with fright but also hate. Hate to be put here and wanting to ask for his life but his honour demanded he say nothing. Tiberius did not enjoy this. This man was his oldest friend... Or at least he had thought. Now he was holdong kennings ax, ready to kill him with it if she wanted it. "It is the law, and no one, even from his house, will hold you ill will no matter what you choose." Tiberius assured her. The others in the room never made a move to help either one. This was their fight. The chief needed to be able to defend the highlady.

Kilika made sure to noted that they were experiencing raider problems. The name of the leader also burned into her memory. She nodded back to Tiberius when he said that he would tell her more later. She was determined now to try to get her winds back into the air. Raider's were something she had experience with. Her eyes were keen and her ability made it hard for one to outrun her. It was something she had done in their kingdom. She was good with sabotaging. After all, in the middle of the night, the sound and glimpse of feathers or wings didn't alert raiders. They dismissed it as a bird.

Then came the young man. From the tone of Tiberius voice she found herself glancing briefly between the two with a kind smile. That smile however disappeared when he began speaking. Her eyes saw her sister huff up and stiffed in rage. Then he questioned how Tiberius could turn his back when she wasn't even human. Persephone opened her mouth to rage and walk to the man but Kilika immediately case aside the poncho type clothing that had limited her wings and rose it wide to block her sister and cover her mouth. Her sister glared at Kilika and whispered in a harsh tone,"Kilika, let me go!" However her older sibling was only replying back in a stern tone,"Calm down." Yet her attention switched between her sister and how the situation was going. As soon as they engaged in combat she inwardly gasped but watched. She was mesmerized by how Tiberius fought. He went in at a disadvantage and defeated his foe. She snapped back when Tiberius spoke again to her.

She turned her body to them and rose from the chair. Both wrists of her wings were brought up to ponder at her lips as her gaze somewhere to the side. Then she took a few tentative steps toward them. Her wings lowered below her chest as she stared into the man's eyes. He didn't want to die today and she didn't want to kill him. She saw that he most likely was acting out of kinship for Tiberius. Yet his words and actions were by far out of line. With a deep breath she began,"I understand that you intentions might have been in earnest of Tiberius' well being. I fully believe that your thoughts were of his happiness alone possibly. You were honest and truthful. Yet it does not change the fact that you have disrespected me, which is as was said, against your laws. Your friend is king and he does what is best for the kingdom. His word is law and your have directly questioned him in this hall by coming here, disrespecting the one he has chosen... You need not fear for your live, But as the future High Lady, I cannot allow this to go unpunished. The punishment will be your rank. You may keep your riches if law permits but your rank is hereby forfeit. As you said, for years you have lived and built a kinship with Tiberius. For it to end here is a shame and I want to believe that you did not wish for this confrontation to end this bad... A warning from me." Her eyes narrowed as she harshly said,"The next time will not end in life. Should this happen again, I will ask for your life. My kindness will not extend a second time."

His words still stung her. Her feathers visibly ruffled in distaste at being called something so vile as a demon. Her sister also was barely keeping herself in control.

Back
Top Bottom