Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Greed, At Times, Is Good (Lila Lupin & Erit of Eastcris)

Erit of Eastcris

Low-Rent Poet
Far away in a big city, a besuited man idly tapped his fingers on the inside of the door of the limousine he rode in, the driver focusing intently on seeing his employer safely and swiftly to his destination. On the surface, it was simply another wealthy person being chauffeured to some private business, beyond the concern of the working class. And even beyond the surface, in some ways that's exactly what it was; the physical embodiment of Greed, known to some as Mammon, to others as Oeillet, and others still as Arthur Varis, was indeed in town on private business, collecting on a debt long overdue. Of course, how long overdue it was didn't truly matter to him, for eventually all things of value became his, whatever his coal-black eyes fell upon being, in his view, property that simply didn't realize it belonged to him. Even that which he gave seemingly freely would eventually find its way back to his grasp, be it money, luck, or treasure. Sometimes it came back in a different form, as it would today, but without fail it came back.

Greed leaned back in the black leather seat, taking a sip of the champagne he held in one hand and idly tapping the doorframe with the other, sunlight catching on the golden watch at his wrist and the golden ring studded in black diamonds on his middle finger, the hue of the metal matching well with the deep tan that covered his svelte physique. Long golden hair fell in waves around his small, subtly-tapered ears, and a pair of sunglasses rested in the breast pocket of his suit jacket. The city rolled by outside the limousine, eventually giving way to suburbs and then to a gated community atop a hill, as the diver closed efficiently upon his destination. Not an hour after he had arrived in that city's airport, the man who was Greed itself, now wearing his sunglasses and carrying a gold-capped cane of polished obsidian, stood at the doorstep of a certain family who had, twenty generations past, placed their names upon a contract with him. The doorbell rang without him needing touch it as, with an infuriating swagger, one of the Devil's seven faces walked up the steps of the front porch.

The house was large, an exercise in arrogance with its grandeur bought on his dime paling in comparison to what he possessed. Its towering double-doors of worked and polished mahogany tried, and failed, to impress the creature whose unfathomable wealth had provided them. They swung open at the hands of a servant, a youth who barred his passage in ignorance and asked his business. Greed bade the boy to fetch his employer, to give them the name Arthur Varis and that his business was of a kind they could ill afford to sweep aside. The devil's force of presence sent the young butler scurrying, and the sin made manifest passed over the threshold in his absence, the door swinging shut without complaint behind him. A commotion was made elsewhere in the house, and the young man returned with a hurried step, asking to lead their honored guest's way, that the master of the house would see him in the living room. Mammon strode behind the boy, cane tapping softly on the hardwood floors he'd gifted the ancestors of this family. No doubt the master of the house was anxious over his benefactor's visit, the wheels and cogs within his mind searching for some way he might renegotiate the contract his ancestor had signed in his stead long before. But he was not his brother Lucifer; he would not be stricken low by Pride blinding him to a weakness in his dealings. The agreement was iron-clad, and only by the hand of the Almighty Himself could one renege on it.

The guide and the devil arrived at the threshold of the living room, the current generation of the family apprehensively awaiting their guest's arrival. "Good afternoon," Greed began, a wicked smile showing a flash of wicked teeth and a forked tongue, "It is good to see you all are doing well in my absence. I believe you understand why I am here; do you not, Mister Avendale? Many hundreds of years ago, the name of your family was placed upon this contract." the binding agreement so mentioned appeared in his hand, flying forth from his sleeve and still bearing the signature in glossy onyx ink; blood was more Sathanus' shtick. "Your predecessor, desperate to escape eternal poverty, found themselves before me and accepted a deal; in exchange for their line needing never to want for wealth again, the Avendale Family would provide to me their eldest daughters as wives in perpetuity. By some fluke of confluence or another, their line has birthed only sons since that day," The contract vanished in a whisper of inky smoke, and Greed's hand moved to pull his glasses away, midnight irises sweeping across the room and those in attendance. "But some years ago, now, you were fortunate enough to be borne a beautiful little girl. I am late in collecting, as I understand she came of age some years ago, but I am not impatient as others may be. I am, however, a very busy man, and would like to bring my bride-to-be to her new home without delay." The cane tapped softly on the floor as he planted it before him, "I will take your daughter now, Mister Avendale; will you be a fool and try to combat this arrangement, or do I find myself in the presence of a more honorable man?"

RE: Greed, At Times, Is Good (Lila Lupin & Erit of Eastcris

Damron Avendale was more than just a little shocked when the young butler informed him that Arthur Varis was standing in his foyer. He quickly instructed the young man to bring him into the living room and then sent one of the other servants to retrieve his wife. He knew all too well why Arthur Varis was here. He knew all too well about the bargain his family had struck. The day his was married his father had told him to always pray for sons, because he didn't want to be the first to pay their family's debt. His father was mortified the day that Laressa was born. She was going to have to pay for their family's desperation all those years ago. However everyone quickly fell in love with the first girl of the Avendale line. It was hard not to love Laressa. She was sweet, and beautiful and had a streak of honor that did her family quite proud. She was a talented young woman with a love for ballet and other forms of dance. When Mammon had failed to show up when she'd turned eighteen Damron had hoped that perhaps the embodiment of greed itself had forgotten about the agreement or had just decided not to collect on his debt. He'd always known that was wishful thinking, but as each year passed and Arthur failed to show up, Damron continued to hope. However the day had finally come, and while he hadn't been the way to strike the deal, he was most assuredly not a coward. He may not have wanted to hand his daughter over to Greed incarnate, but trying to weasel his way out of this was not the right thing to do.

Damron nodded as Arthur asked him if he knew why he was here, staying silent as he explained that he was, indeed, there to retrieve Laressa. Damron's wife, Clara, came to the door of the living room just as Mammon had finished his explanation. She had managed to catch the very end when he'd mentioned taking their daughter. The second she laid eyes on him her own began to fill with tears. She looked at her husband silently pleading that this wasn't what she though it was. Damron only nodded, and Clara did her best to hold back the tears and swallow the lump in her throat. "Clara, be a dear and help Maria pack up some of Laressa's things." He spoke softly, knowing exactly how his wife felt in this moment. Laressa wasn't just their only girl, she was their only child, and now she was going to have to marry a demon because of a deal that was made long before her time.

Clara nodded and turned wo head towards her daughter's room with tears in her eyes while Maria guided her with a gentle hand on her back. Once his wife had left Damron turned his attention back towards Arthur. "Laressa isn't home at the moment." He spoke raising his hand slightly to signal that he wasn't quite finished. "But she should be home shortly." He added before gesturing towards the chairs and couches that sat in the living room. "You are more than welcome to wait for her. She had dance class today, but she should be on her way home now." Damron was obviously not pleased about this arrangement, but he was smarter than to try and threaten or cheat the very embodiment of greed out of what he'd been promised. The only thing he might succeed in doing with that is make things worse for his daughter. It was best to do things the easy way. "Will Laressa be able to retrieve the things she can't take with her today?" He asked, figuring it would be best to get these things out of the way now so that there was less for Laressa to worry about.

True to his word the door to the manor opened about thirty minutes after Arthur's arrival. "I'm home!" Laressa called out. Laressa's voice was beautiful, melodic even.

"Ms. Laressa your father wants to see you in the living room." The young man from earlier spoke.

"Oh, alright then. Thank you, Thomas." She said with a smile as she made her way towards the living room, the bag with her dance equipment still on her shoulder. She entered the living room with a smile on her face. Her long black hair almost matched the color of Arthur's cane and clashed beautifully with her ivory skin. Her crystal blue eyes shown brilliantly as she looked from her father to Arthur. "I didn't know we had company." She stated in mild surprise. "Father, Thomas said that you wanted to see me." She mentioned as she made her way over to Arthur. She was wearing a lavender sun dress as she had already put her dance clothes into the bag that was hanging off her shoulder. "Laressa Avendale." She said with a sweet smile as she gave a slight curtsy and held out her hand to shake his.

Damron nodded at his daughter and sighed before gesturing towards Arthur. "Laressa, my dear, this is Arhtur Varis." He said with a deep breath.

"A pleasure to meet you, Mister Varis." She said with a smile before a look of recognition flashed across her face. "Oh." Was all she said as she looked to her father who merely nodded.

The man who was a walking vice took a seat when offered, leaning back in the comfortable furniture bought with his wealth in exchange for the young lass he would be bringing with him that day. "I am a busy man, mister Avendale, but if the wait will not be overlong then I suppose I can humor you with my patience. I am not my brother Wrath, after all." He laid his cane across his lap, folding his trim legs in their coal-colored slacks and his shiny dress shoes. "It is good to see you are a wise man, though, Mister Avendale; do not fear, I mean for your daughter to be happy at my side once she comes to accept her fate. She would be no good as a wife if she were miserable, after all." The Devil smiled at the father's inquiry, "I will send a servant to pick up whatever you might wish to send to her; you have my word that she will receive it in the same condition it left you. Letters, presents, videos; you may correspond with your daughter freely. But you will, for the most part, not see her again."

Five minutes passed. Ten. Twenty. Half an hour went by, and as Avarice was about to question if Damron took him for a fool he felt the shift in atmosphere as his prize announced her presence. Greed leaned back once more, smiling his smug little smile that did not touch his midnight-hued eyes, even as she entered his view and Mammon found himself, in some ways, enraptured with the unstained beauty that stood before him. She alone made the deal and the wait worthwhile; and she would not be the last. He remained silent as her father explained his presence, taking her hand in his with flesh warmed by hellfire. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Laressa, though it may be some years belated. I am pleased to see that you are already appraised of who I am, but as a formality; yes, I am an aspect of what you may call the Devil. I am Mammon, cardinal of Greed and wealth, and you are to be my bride." He stood, smoothly, cane clicking against the floorboards. "Rest assured, I have no interest in doing you harm; you will have whatever material good you could ever possibly want, all at the price of your pleasant company for so long as you live." He smiled that evil little smile that didn't touch eyes colored with sin, "Now. Say your goodbyes to your good mother and father, but make haste; you don't want to be late to your own wedding, do you?"

Laressa was still in shock as Arthur told her who he was. In part her shock was do to the fact that the human manifestation of greed was standing before her informing her that he was her intended husband. It was also in part to the fact that she had almost begun to believe that the deal was nothing more than a family legend, a fairy tale of sorts. However Arthur was standing in front of her correcting each of those misconceptions she'd almost come to believe. She was hearing what he said, but she wasn't quite reacting yet. One of the first things she did notice though was that when he smiled his eyes never seemed to reflect it, and that unsettled her. She finally managed to snap out of it once he told her to say her good byes. "Oh, yes.....of course." She said as she looked towards her father. "I should probably go pack." She added with a heavy sigh.

"Maria and you're mother have already taken care of that." Damron said before hugging her tightly, telling her that he loved her and that he and her mother would right and send her videos and such. Laressa was doing her best not to cry. Her mother, however did not succeed as she brought Laressa's bags down. She couldn't help but sob once she saw her daughter. Clara bear hugged Laressa as tight as she could, sobbing and telling her daughter how much she loved her. After a few minutes Clara finally released her daughter. Thomas helped load Laressa's bags into the limousine, making sure to grab her dance bag, knowing that she wouldn't want to be without it. Laressa and her parents said goodbye once more and with that she got into the limousine with Arthur to be taken to her new life.

Laressa sat as far away from Mammon as he would let her and stared out the window of the limousine. She had somehow managed not to cry during her goodbyes to her parents but her eyes were still filled with tears, and as her old home moved farther into the distance the reality of it all finally set in. She kept her gaze outside the window as tears began to fall. She didn't want him to see her cry. As far as she could tell he was hollow inside. She didn't want to share her own vulnerability with someone like that. She was nothing more than a prize to him. At least it certainly felt that way.

In some ways, her assumptions as to his character were correct; to him, she was simply another possession, a flesh and blood representation of the interest on a loan he had given out long ago. But even though his sin was Avarice, his very being consumed with desire to possess everything in creation, the devil of Greed was not ignorant to the natures of humans. They were creatures every bit as righteous as they were wicked, and as was so often forgotten not even the Devil was wholly evil. Greed, Lust, Wrath, Envy, Pride, Sloth and Gluttony; they did not wish to see mankind destroyed or suffering eternal damnation, not entirely. Once, they and theirs had been virtuous servants of the Almighty; upon a time, they had knelt at the feet of the Father and eagerly obeyed his commands, until they came to learn the pleasures of their sins. And for that they had been cast down, hurtling into the depths of Hell, their punishment being to live forever bereft of the divine presence that had once been their whole existence. But it had not mattered; their halos had broken and turned to sulfur at their feet, their wings black and cold, and the radiance of their Lord was replaced by the heat of perdition's searing flame. Where once God's light had suffused them, their sin would instead; Mammon changing into a creature obsessed with wealth. Not just of himself, but of others; the sight of poverty sickened him, the thought of some willingly casting aside material goods bewildering. He and his brothers did not tempt man towards sin to see them punished, but to see them freed to enjoy their short, mortal lives. It was the Almighty who condemned their pleasure.

Greed smiled his hollow little smile, until he looked towards his latest acquisition and instead frowned in confusion. What cause had she to be forlorn? Laressa surely understood that she would never want for anything again while she was with him; the grandest meals, the most exquisite dresses, an army of servants, whatever she wished could be hers now. And yet there she sat, a sad cast to her frame, and though he could not see her face he knew she was most likely weeping. Greed was not human, and did not wholly feel the same emotions as she could, but he had been alive long enough to have some semblance of an understanding for them. So it was that he placed a hand, lightly, upon her shoulder; a gesture that he did not mean her harm, simply meant to bring her attention towards him. "There, now," he said, attempting to console her, "not all is lost. You will not suffer at my hands, Laressa, I promise you; name anything you want, and it will be yours. All I require of you is your loyalty, and nothing shall be too rare or fine for you to possess it." That wicked smile came again, his dark eyes still not touched by it in a fashion she could comprehend, "There will be servants to wait upon you hand and foot, celebrations in your name, and at my feet you shall be known as a noblewoman of Hell. Surely, this is not all poor news to you? The loss of your old life may sting now, but I will grant you one so much the grander."

Laressa gave a heavy sigh as she tried to pull away from him, but it was al in vain. She was already as far from him as she could possibly be. She tried to stay as calm as she could in this moment. Her heart was obviously hurting from this whole ordeal for multiple reasons. Being taken from her parents hurt a great deal, being forced into a marriage that she had no say in stung. However the thing that upset her most was perhaps the fact that it seemed as though she would be stuck in a loveless marriage. She had grown up watching her parents, and dreaming of having that kind of relationship. Her parents loved one another greatly, even with the thought of greed taking their only daughter they still loved one another. Her mother could have easily left her father and taken Laressa with her in some vain attempt to save her daughter from this fate, but they held strong through all of it. Laressa used to dream of having that kind of love when she was younger, but had resigned herself to the fate of being married to a demon. She had jus really began to hope that she might have, by some miracle, been freed from the arrangement. However this was not the case. She took a moment to calm herself as she listened to his words. She dried her tears with the back of her hand before turning to face him.

"And can you promise me love?" She asked him with every bit of seriousness she could muster. "Would you allow me to visit with my family." Her eyes seemed almost hurt as she spoke. "This may be hard for you to understand, but not everyone wishes for material things." She sighed. "You say I'll never wan for anything, but how true is that really. Growing up in my home I never wanted for anything save one thing." She said with a deep breath. "I used to dream of the day I'd be married, even after coming to understand that they were merely dreams." She gave a sad smile at the thought. "I thought about planning the wedding, and picking colors. I'd give great detail to the guest list and all the arrangements." She looked up for a moment as she tried to blink away the tears once more. "And the dress would be the best part. I'd invite all of my friends and my parents would be there to watch the beginning of my new life." She huffed a little at the idea knowing it held no relevancy now. "My new life with a man that I loved." Her voice grew shaky and quiet with her next words. "With a man that loved me." She had only wanted what so many little girls did. "But you are concerned with only material wealth. You speak as though every little gift or thing you could provide me would make it all better." She scoffed a bit a the thought. "My heart aches, not just at the loss of my 'old life' as you call it, but at the thought of the future before me." She took a deep breath. "You, kind sir, are hollow. You may have every thing you could possibly desire but there's still something missing. Being a noblewoman of hell means nothing to me. The only good thing from this I that you are not overly cruel, and perhaps not even intentional when you are." She said as she looked away from him again.

Greed released her, chastised and lacking anything to say in return. She was right; all he cared about was physical wealth, living richly and growing richer his only ambitions. He held a fascination for her, an admiration for her beauty that reminded him of the heavenly grandeur he himself had once possessed, but there was no light of love within him. The only thing she claimed to want, he could not provide; he tutted inwardly to himself, turning his own gaze outside. They spent the rest of the ride in uninterrupted silence; she did not wish to speak to him, and he had nothing to say to her. It was a vexing situation at the best, to have a bride whom he could not please. But perhaps it was simply a phase; perhaps, in time, she would come to appreciate her new place. But that was something only time could know; the Devil lived in the present. The future was God's purview.

After many hours spent in traffic, navigating the labyrinthine streets of the city, they came to a stop at an airport, near his private gate where his personal transport awaited. The driver opened the doors for the two, and Greed lead his unhappy lady through and up to the jet which would carry them through the second of their journey's three parts, the interior richly decorated with maroon and gold finery, open and luxurious and far from efficiently laid out, focused more on the pleasure of the experience than how many people it could fit. Normally it only needed to fit Greed, perhaps a servant or two depending on what his business was. Sin incarnate lead Laressa aboard and gave her the run of the place, always smiling that devillish little smile, before himself being seated. The chauffeur from before was also his pilot, and soon enough they were aloft, soaring through the skies towards the western coast of the continent, towards the city recognized as the heart of the film industry. "It's my city, you know," he explained, thinking to at least entertain her with conversation. She did not need to love him, but they could at least stand to get along for the time being, "Every film ever made there has my mark on it. Every actor and actress, stage hand and director; they all answer to me, though perhaps not directly. I could get you in, if you're ever interested. There are even a few dance studios." A servant came through, dressed as an attendant, pushing a cart with lunch and refreshments. The light meal was served, drinks poured as Greed lounged comfortably in the large cushioned chair he occupied across from his prize. "This 'love' you spoke of is not something I'm dreadfully familiar with, but I'm certain that with time a suitable replacement can be found. If nothing else, I can give you reason not to despise me, can I not?"

Laressa continued to look out the window for the remainder of the drive. She really didn't know what to say to him. She was going to be stuck with him for the rest of her natural life so se might as well try to be a little pleasant. She just didn't like that he'd tried to promise her anything she could ever want for when he actually couldn't. Could he provide for every physical need? Most definitely, but she imagined that matters of the heart would be much more difficult. However she shouldn't hold his nature against him. He only did what was natural to him, and while he may have offered the deal that had place he in her current predicament, he wasn't the one that signed the contract. He hadn't forced her ancestors to make that deal. They'd done so of their own accord. So it wasn't even really his fault that she was stuck marrying him. She sighed when they arrived at the airport and he led her to the lavish private jet. She began to think of how to make the best of her situation as he led her around the jet before taking a seat. She decided that while she may have been unhappy about the whole ordeal that it didn't mean she had to stay miserable. It also didn't mean that she should be taking her unhappiness out on Arthur either. So with that thought in mind she chose to sit close to Mammon instead of putting as much distance between the two of them as she could.

Laressa had pulled out a sketch pad that she kept in her bag that served as her purse along with some pencils. She was busy drawing when Avarice incarnate began to speak to her. She looked up and blinked at him when he mentioned that Hollywood was his town. It made sense really. Everyone there was trying to make it big. They wanted to make a name for themselves. Make their fortune and leave their mark on the world. It was the perfect place for Greed to thrive. "Oh." She said simply. She wasn't brushing him off, she was just acknowledging that she'd heard him. She smiled softly as he mentioned that he could get her into the movie business but gently shook her head. The dance studios however piqued her interest and while she had shaken her head at his first offer she now smiled brightly. Not just because he had offered to help her get into one of the dance studios but because he had remembered. She hadn't even really spoken about it to him, but he'd noticed and remembered that it was something she obviously enjoyed. He may not have loved her, or even be capable of doing so, but caring, or at least seeming to care, about the things that interested her was a very good start. "Thank you for the offer." She said in regards to his first offer. "But dancing is much more my thing than movies." She added. "I'm surprised you remembered." She added with that bright smile of hers. Perhaps this wouldn't be nearly as unbearable as she'd originally suspected. The meal provided for them was an easy one to enjoy, and as she was beginning to see that Arthur truly meant her no ill will, it was becoming a great deal easier to enjoy his company.

Laressa was putting her sketch book and pencils back into her bag when he mentioned that he was certain he could find her a suitable replacement for love. She couldn't help but chuckle at the comment. "You can't just replace love, Arthur." She spoke gently. "It's not that easy." She sighed as she smiled at him. "I appreciate the thought though." She said with a slight chuckle. "And I don't despise you. My situation, perhaps, but not you." She said as she looked down at her hands that were resting neatly in her lap. "I imagine this whole ordeal will be much easier if I don't try to fight you the whole way through." She said before looking back up at Greed. "I imagine that fighting you for my whole life would accomplish nothing besides making us both miserable." She said with a sigh of acceptance. "It also seems as though it would be rather exhausting."

"I am glad to see that I was not given a stubborn fool," Greed said, removing the sunglasses and replacing them in his coat's pocket, "but instead given a woman with a modicum of grace. You will find I am quite easy to get along with, Laressa, so long as you give me what I want." They were not close enough to be touching, though she was within arm's reach of him. The jet-eyed creature looked into the eyes of his mortal bride, "And what I want from you is simple companionship. Were I Asmodeus you would find me more demanding, but you have the good fortune to be wed to me, and I am not one to force issues." He smiled, this one less wicked and more... polite, almost, though it still did nothing to his empty eyes colored by his heart. "It gets dreary, down in Hell all by my lonesome. I am trying to liven things up by bringing a lovely young woman like yourself into the mix; there will be no punishments, no suffering, for you there, beyond whatever homesickness may strike you. I might be persuaded to bring you to visit your family, even, should you please me." His dusky, tanned face kept that hollow but good-natured twist to his lips throughout the remainder of the flight, making polite small talk about Laressa's dancing and light-hearted discussion on what he had said before about involving her with a formal dance studio.

After three hours amongst the skies, however, they finally touched down in the airstrip that Greed and Greed alone owned and utilized, a terminal which connected to some back rooms on the ground floor of a large hotel. They, the pilot, and all Laressa's luggage took a private elevator straight to the penthouse floor at which point Avarice divested himself of his cane and jacket, the striking white of his collared shirt contrasting sharply to the hue of his eyes and slacks. "You will not, of course, be taken to my domain immediately. It has been a long enough day for you, no doubt." The Devil turned and gestured grandly to the suite surrounding him, a large and open construction with a glass-bottomed loft holding the bedroom. "So you may rest here so long as you desire, and when you feel ready then I will guide you through Oblivion." A small little bow preceded his returning to the elevator. "Of course, I will not be staying with you; I have been away from things far longer than is my norm as it is. Fret not; you need only utter one of my many names and I shall be here. 'Speak of the Devil and he shall come' and all that!" He chuckled at his own joke, taking up the cane and tapping the floor sharply with it. And in the blink of an eye, the Mammon who had once been there was there no longer, vanished without trace but for the suit jacket hanging from the coat-rack. A gesture to the young girl that she was still under his influence, however much freedom he granted her.

The remainder of the flight was rather enjoyable. She couldn't help but smile at Arthur's words about her disposition. She was a rather content person for someone that grew up in such privilege. She had never been one to take things for granted regardless of her parents great wealth. She quite enjoyed the small talk that took place for the remainder of the flight. She mentioned that while the idea of being involved in one of the formal dance studios was most intriguing, she'd prefer to be accepted because of her own skill, not because of who her husband was. As they continued to she began to wonder if perhaps he was just lonely. Even if he was incapable of loving her, that did not mean that the opposite was true. She was rather filled with emotion, love being one of the strongest. He seemed to want companionship, almost seemed to long for it. She really couldn't fault him for that, regardless of how he went about achieving his goal, or what he was. It was natural to long for companionship, regardless of how unnatural someone was. Greed had been nothing but kind to her since they'd met. So the least she could do in return was to be a pleasant companion, though she still wasn't quite sure how she felt about living in hell. He promised that the only suffering she would have to endure was her homesickness and she was inclined to believe him, but that didn't make her any less nervous.

When they finally arrived she calmly followed Mammon towards the hotel. She really shouldn't have been so surprised at everything that he had. He was greed incarnate after all. She'd expected that he was quite wealthy, but this kind of extravagance was not what she'd been expecting. The suite was absolutely beautiful, and Avarice looked as though he belonged in the midst of such grandeur. When he'd taken off his jacket her attention was suddenly drawn to his dark eyes which clashed quite beautifully with the pristine white of his shirt. Now that she had allowed herself to get past the hollow look in them she was able to notice just how entrancing they really were. The deep hue was unlike anything she'd ever seen and were almost comforting despite the hollowness held within them. She looked at him in slight shock when he informed her that he would take her to hell only when she felt ready to do so. He then informed her that he would not be staying with her but all she had to do was call for him. With that he was gone with only his jacket left on the coat rack as proof to his prior presence. "Well that was most unexpected." She said as she looked around the suite. She supposed it wouldn't hurt to relax a little for now. She could take a bath later, perhaps eat something, and then head to bed. For now though she was having trouble figuring out what she wanted to do with her time. She sighed as she moved towards the living room area of the suite. "Well what should I do now?" She asked no one in particular. She honestly wasn't even quite sure what all she was allowed to do. He'd given her free reign of the suite but he hadn't been too clear on what else she could and could not do.

Greed's servant, whom had never left, finished bringing his new Mistress' luggage into the suite just as his Master left and she voiced her concerns privately. "Mistress is permitted to do whatever she wishes, more-or-less," the demon chimed in. "The Master wishes only that you not leave this suite without notifying Him. You may watch television, peruse the library," a wave of his arm gestured towards the three large bookshelves stocked with books both fact and fiction, "or simply watch the city below, should such meditations befit your mood." The servant, unnamed, bowed. "This one will be taking its leave, if Mistress will permit. Should you want for anything but not wish to disturb the Master, simply call for a servant and one of us shall appear."

And thus, he too vanished without ceremony, returning to the pit where he dwelled below the dominion of his Master. A Master who was, at that moment, sighing in frustration and annoyance at a message he had just received from one of his dear brothers—who else but the incarnation of Lust, Asmodeus—offering an exchange. Of course, ordinarily he would at least entertain the proposal, but the deal suggested here was arrogant at best. Brother Lust's third-favorite concubine in exchange for Laressa, and no doubt the woman was already useless to Greed as anything more than a toy to sate the sin he did not represent. Certainly, Greed could be aroused and enjoyed intimacy, but he actually thought with the head between his ears rather than the one between his legs. Asmodeus only wanted his brother's bride because she was a virgin, and once she'd been sullied he wouldn't likely care a whit what became of her afterwards. "I am wealth and possessiveness made manifest," he told the messenger, "Mammon, Sin of Greed. You can tell my brother, once he stops fucking himself long enough to listen, that what is mine belongs to me, and that if he wants my wife?" His true form, that of golden veins and pitchblende flesh, of vice and damnation and a twisted, broken reflection of his former divinity, revealed itself. "If Brother Lust wishes to have my wife, he will have to pry her from my stiff, cold corpse."

The messenger fled, of course, and Greed calmed himself enough to resume his human form. The shape in which he was most comfortable after extended use; showing what he really was left him feeling... naked, almost. He continued about his business, mostly watching the mortal realm to watch for humans whom he might tempt into a trade. Contracts such as those he had made with Laressa's family were not his norm, in fact she was the only woman he had ever "purchased" with one. Most of the time he functioned much as an infernal bank, offering wealth and coming to collect with interest at a later date, sometimes providing a service in exchange for immediate payment or, when he needed a mortal agent, promising a great reward for some task or another. Those were definitely the anomalies, having only been handed out a dozen or so times of the countless deals he had made over eternity. It was as Greed surveyed the world, wondering how Laressa would be getting along at what must have been the end of the day in the human world—for time flowed differently in Hell, when it did at all—that he felt a tug at his mind. Immediately he dropped everything and, in the blink of an eye, he was behind her. "Yes, my darling~?" He said, sounding somewhat amused and a little satisfied that she had, in fact, called to him, the smile on his face reflecting that satisfaction. Being summoned demonstrated she really did recognize her position rather than simply talking as if she did. Truly a stunning wisdom for a stunning beauty.

Laressa spent the rest of her day unpacking some of her things and familiarizing herself with the suite that would be her home for who knew how long. Normally she would have just waited until he came to get her, but he had told her that this suite would be her home until she was ready to go with him so she figured she could unpack for now. She truthfully had no real knowledge of the future, but she didn't see herself being comfortable with the idea of literally living in hell anytime soon. She placed her clothes in the draws and unpacked a few of her more sentimental items that her mother had been sure to send with her. One such item was a musical figurine. A crystal ballerina standing on pointe with one leg in the in the air behind her and her arms outstretched in an elegant pose. The song she played was quite calming and had always done wonders to sooth her frazzled nerves. After she was content with the placement of her things she began to explore the suite a bit more. She was hoping she might be able to find a large enough space in the spacious suite to practice her dance. She didn't really wish to go out that much at the moment. She was still quite new here, but that didn't mean she was content to just sit around. She soon found that the problem was not finding a space big enough to practice but to find a space that didn't contain something of value. That would be something she'd need to talk to Greed about later. She settled with reading a book until she noticed that the sky was beginning to turn gold with the setting of the sun. She figured that she should bathe before going about getting something to eat.

She went up to the area that would function as her bedroom and pulled a simple, but elegant dark blue dress from the closet. She proceeded to grab some of the items she'd need for her bath that her mother had packed for her, such as shampoo, and conditioner, among other things. Once she was satisfied that she had everything she needed she made her way to the bathroom. Just as she'd expected it was just as grand as the rest of the suite. Part of her wondered if Greed was in possession of anything that wasn't absolutely extravagant. She enjoyed a nice bath in the admittedly oversized tub. Once Laressa was clean and relaxed she drained the bath water and began to dry herself. She had decided that while she was hungry, and quite happy to have this suite to herself, that she didn't wish to eat alone. She figured that perhaps she could use this opportunity to get to know Mammon a bit better. With that thought in mind she put on the dress she'd picked earlier and made herself presentable. She sighed as she stood in the middle of the living room of the suite. She was going through the idea a few more times in her head to make sure she really wanted to do this. She was also trying to figure out what on earth she would say if and when he appeared. With a deep breath she decided that this was indeed what she wanted, and perhaps even needed, to do. With that she closed her eyes briefly and exhaled before all but whispering his name. "Arthur."

She heard him call out to her from behind her as she opened her eyes and she couldn't help but jump slightly as she turned to face him. A part of her was actually surprised that it had worked. A faint blush dusted her ivory cheeks as he called her darling. He seemed to be pleased that she had actually called on him. She smiled gently at him before deciding just how to explain why she'd called him. "I-" She began almost hesitantly. She took a breath to steady herself before continuing to speak. "I know that you're busy." She said almost meekly. "And that you've already spent quite a bit of time on me." A nervous laugh accompanied her words as she began to have second thoughts about this request. "But I was hoping perhaps-" She trailed off for a moment before taking a deep breath. "I was hoping that perhaps we could share a meal together. I'd rather not eat alone." She said as she averted her gaze from his almost entrancing eyes. She felt odd making a request of the very embodiment of Greed, but he had told her that all she needed to do was ask of him. That all he wanted in return was her companionship.

Avarice incarnate let loose a small laugh, barely more than an amused wheezing sigh, at her concerns and request, the sheepish expression on her face as though expecting him to be upset having quite the opposite effect. His arms extended outward as the Devil bent his waist in the slightest of bows, eyes of midnight glimmering in the light with that same emptiness as always. "I am never too busy to entertain you, Laressa. If you wish to take your meals with me, it would be my pleasure to introduce you to the fine dining to be had at my behest." Greed clicked his fingers, and the closet door flew open as a line of servants entered bearing incredible gowns filled with intricacies and detail which the eye could get lost in, each seeming more glamorous and outspoken in its grandeur than the last. A veritable rainbow of colors and plethora of designs presented themselves, some cut more provocatively and some more modestly, but each seeming to belong best on an empress or goddess, a regal woman of intense power.

"Of course," he explained, "you'll be needing a change of clothes. It would not do for the bride of Greed to appear in anything but the finest regalia." He smiled that empty little smile, gesturing to the arrangement before her. "Take your time, my dearest. All is yours for the picking, should you just reach out to take it. The only price you need ever pay is to give of me your radiant company." The tanned man who held all the wealth of the underworld stepped aside, his large and supple hands loosely clasped behind his back, resolving to patiently await as Laressa made her decision. "And once you are dressed I shall take you to the finest restaurant in town. You shall be the envy of every rising star, I assure you." A small chuckle escaped him at the mention of envy; a sin which was a close cousin to his own, and it was for that reason that Mammon and Beelzebub, the Devil of Covetousness, were frequently at odds for Envy's constant attempts to filch from his brother's hoard.

Laressa smiled when he told her that he would never be too busy to entertain her. Perhaps this marriage wouldn't be so bad after all. The idea of being doted on was actually quite appealing. She'd have preferred love, but having a man that wouldn't simply brush her off all the time would certainly be quite nice. She was quite happy and thought that she was ready to go, but Greed snapped his fingers and the closet doors flew open. Each dress that a servant brought out was more grandiose than the last. Each dress was beautiful and incredibly intricate, but not one of these dresses was something she'd have normally worn. Laressa may have grown up in privilege but she had always been more drawn to the simpler elegant gowns. She found great beauty in them, perhaps as much as in the infinitely intricate ones currently placed before her. However there were obviously going to be things about this arrangement that made her uncomfortable. She may not have been comfortable in extravagant gowns like that. The thought of having every eye on her may have very well made her want to run and hide, but the fact was that she was indeed betrothed to Greed. She was to be the bride of what was most likely the richest being in all the world. With that title came appearances that had to be up kept. People expected her to be breathtakingly beautiful and dressed in only the finest. Avarice was treating her with kindness, taking her as his wife, and continuing to supply her family with great wealth.

"I like this dress, though." She mumbled to herself before sighing. He was indulging her by sharing a meal with her, so the least she could do in return was to pick one of the many dresses he'd provided her with. She may not have enjoyed outrageously extravagant things, but that didn't mean that her future husband did not. He was, after all, avarice incarnate. It only made sense that he would want to display his wealth for the world to see. One would also assume that he would want his wife to also be put out on display. He obviously had to have the best of everything, so one would believe that he would want everyone to see that his wife was just as exceptional as everything else he owned. With that thought in mind Laressa began to look through the dress until she finally found one that she liked. Laressa was not picky in the sense that most women would have been given the selection. She wanted something that while beautiful and eye catching, was not horribly over the top. She may have been marrying Greed but that did not necessarily mean that she herself was stricken by his sin. She finally settled on a rather nice black gown that hugged each curve perfectly. It was a rather intricate one-sleeved piece with exquisite embroidery all over it and two sheer panels. One placed just above the chest that led up to the embroider design around the neck and the second went all the way down her right side. She took the dress with her and went back into the bathroom to change. A few minutes later Laressa emerged from the bathroom. She was mostly ready, as her shoes had been changed an she'd already done her hair and makeup before she'd called Avarice to her. Her long black hair had been left down, and would have rested just above her rear had she been letting it hang down her back a the moment. However it was currently hanging over her shoulder so that it exposed the half undone zipper. She had managed to get the zipper up about half way but the dress was so snug that it was nearly impossible for her to get it up by herself. So she had decided to try and use this as a bit of an icebreaker. With a deep breath she walked over to Greed and turned around so that her back was to him. She craned her neck slightly to look back at him. "Could you zip me up?"

Arthur tilted his head, a quizzical eyebrow arched in mild confusion. She could have asked a servant for help, and it would have been far easier to do so rather than come down to him with her dress yet undone. The thought occurred to him that she might not trust his servants, and he could not fault her considering she was a human and they were demons; distrust was to be natural. But one would think such distrust would be magnified towards him, a lord of Hell rather than a mere denizen of it. She truly was a baffling creature in some ways, but she had asked something of him and Greed was a Devil of his word; ask and she would receive. So it was that Avarice found himself helping his bride to finish zipping up her dress, pulling the tiny handhold smoothly to the top of the line before stepping back to admire Laressa's choice of attire for the outing. The color was a deep raven-feather black, perfectly matching her hair and his eyes, the sheer strips at her collarbone and running along one side exposing enough flesh to tantalize but not so much as to be scandalous. It was attire that, after a fashion, suited her in his eyes; elegant and just a little bit brazen, simple in concept but filled with delicate details one could lose themselves in. It was, indeed, her dress. Green smiled his meaningless little smile as he gazed upon her, midnight eyes gazing upon her as one might a prized treasure. That was, in a way, what she was; a treasure, a trophy, a prize. Of course, he valued her as a person—her value as a person was why he had acquired her—but even as a person she was another masterpiece in his boundless collection.

"You certainly have fine taste," he said, intending it a compliment, "you look ravishing, Laressa. As is only fitting for you, my darling." That evil little smile stayed put as Greed offered his wife an arm and escorted her downstairs. This time the elevator took them to the main lobby, and not a single individual who saw the pair was unable to look away; Laressa, resplendent and pure, alongside her husband Mammon, in his silk suit with flame-red tie and his bronze skin and sand-hued hair. They were each uniquely stunning in their own ways; her for her beauty, and him for his force of personality. It was with every eye upon them that the duo made their way out front, where Greed's driver already awaited with their limousine, door opened to receive them. Avarice helped his wife in before being seated himself, leaning into his seat and smiling that empty little smile to his dinner date. "Do you prefer steak, or sushi? And," he gestured towards the bowl full of ice from which protruded the neck of a champagne bottle, "would you care for a drink during the ride?"

Laressa blushed a little at the confused look that Arthur gave her. She imagined that he was mildly baffled that she chose to have him zip her up instead of one of his many servants. It wasn't out of a lack trust for them, though there most certainly a lock of it. Nor was it because she trusted him more. It was instead because she was aware that she was going to be stuck with him for the rest of her life. So she might as well try to get a little more comfortable with him. She did a quick spin after he'd zipped up her dress and stepped back to look at her. It was as she finished this spin that she noticed the way he was looking at her. He gazed at her as though she were the finest treasure money could buy. No one had ever looked at her like that before. She shifted under his gaze, growing uncomfortable under his gaze for multiple reasons, not all of them bad. "I'm glad you approve." She replied to his comment about her taste in dresses. However when he told her that she looked ravishing a bright blush spread across her cheeks like wildfire and she averted her gaze towards the floor. She shifted yet again. Greed's gaze made her uncomfortable, but not because she disliked it. On the contrary, she liked it very much. Greed was an incredibly attractive man, almost sinfully so. Yet he looked at her like she was the most prized and precious thing he owned. She was suddenly very aware of the skin showing and immediately began to wish that she had picked a different gown. Laressa may have been a virgin but she was no stranger to arousal. Now was not the time for such thoughts though. She may have been Mammon's wife, but they had only met earlier today. So she took the arm that Greed offered to her as she shook the improper thoughts from her head.

As they made their way through the lobby Laressa wished she could disappear. People were staring at them, some in envy, some with rather lustful stares. If it was Arthur's intention to garner the attention of every single person in the hotel lobby, he most certainly succeeded. Jealousy and Lust permeated the room and Laressa couldn't have been happier once they exited the lobby and Avarice helped her into the limousine. Laressa tucked a stray strand of her flowing obsidian hair behind her ear and returned Greed's smile with a much kinder and less hollow one of her own. She took a moment to ponder the choices he'd given her before finally deciding on her answer. "Steak, please." She said with that melodic voice of hers. She flowed his gesture and noticed the champagne bottle sitting in a bowl of ice. She smiled but shook her head when he offered her a drink. "Not at the moment, but thank you." She said politely. The truth was she didn't want to end up having a little too much alcohol. You see, Laressa was a horribly flirtatious drunk. Now this wouldn't have been a problem if it weren't for the fact that she was actually quite the lightweight. She was already uncomfortable with all the attention she'd received and had no desire to humiliate herself in front of her new husband.

A knock on the window separating the large and spacious lounge in the back of the limo from the driver's compartment, and a muttered instruction later, and they were off to what was universally recognized as the finest steakhouse in the city. "Virtuous to the end, hm?" Greed chuckled as she rejected the offer of alcohol, however weak the drink may have been. As for him, Mammon was already pouring out a glass of the cold, carbonated liquor before lounging in his seat and swirling the beverage idly in one hand, legs crossed with one ankle on the opposite knee and his other arm laid across the back of the seat. The Devil smiled that same little smile, creasing the corners of his eyes as he stared into those of his companion. "I must know, Laressa, do you have any vices? I might just begin to feel guilty if it turns out I stole away a perfect little angel from the halls of Heaven..." The smile turned into a sarcastic smirk as he sipped the champagne. "Ah, I suppose that's not entirely true. Not even you can really sell your soul; if Father judges you worthy, even the wife of Greed itself may enter paradise come the end of their mortal life. It is simply signing deals with my brothers and I that he looks down on, and so condemns; that's how we get you in the end. Of course, the penitent can escape such loopholes, which is why it's more common to demand a firstborn or something else material." The rings on his hands flashed in the light as if in response to the mention of wealth.

"... And it's why the contract your ancestors signed clearly stated all the first-born daughters of the Avendale family in perpetuity. Once you pass on to the next life, Laressa, it's very possible I'll never see you again." Those onyx eyes seemed... regretful, almost. Their emptiness now, rather than being an emotionless void, instead hinted at a different kind of emptiness, one born in the face of futility at his efforts. If history was any indication, Arthur would be spending many more years alone once his current bride found herself at the end of her time; it was entirely possible that the Avendale line would end first, in fact. And, deep down, the enemy so condemned by those of the faith, the embodiment of sin and corruption, the Devil himself... deep down, Mammon was tired of it all. Tired of having nearly everything he could ever want but no one to impress with it, tired of always lacking one very important thing: peers. Greed wanted more than mere trinkets and toys, he desired the greatest in everything. The finest food, the best clothes, the grandest entertainment and the most extravagant possessions, and the most enviable companions which he had never had, even before his fall.

Laressa blushed a bit as he called her virtuous and proceeded to ask if she had any vices. Laressa quite enjoyed having a drink every now and then. She enjoyed a good party, and honestly had a taste for vodka and tequila. However she had no intention of not watching her actions and getting drunk. The last thing she needed was to end the day by attempting to drunkenly molest and seduce her new husband. She shuddered at the thought. She remembered all to well the times she'd go out with her friend Kara, get horribly drunk and then Kara would have to step in and all but beat the guys away from her. Kara had saved her from making the mistake of going home with some idiot far too many times. Sometimes she was convinced that Kara was her guardian angel. She averted her eyes from him as he mentioned feeling a little guilty if he'd found that he'd stolen away some perfect little angel. "I'm far from perfect, Arthur." She said with an almost sad smile. When he began to talk about how God could allow her into heaven despite being the wife of Mammon she noticed that a part of him sounded almost bitter. His sarcasm was more than evident and it almost broke her heart. She had to look away for a moment when he spoke of the deal and how he may never see her again once she passed on. She couldn't bear the look in his eyes. To see emotion in them, hurt, at least this emotion did. She wasn't sure why but she supposed she'd imagined him almost incapable of emotion. That regretful look in his eyes, the almost pained emptiness, made her sad. Suddenly she didn't want to go out. She didn't want to be in the eye of the public. Perhaps it would be better for them to get to know one another in the privacy of the suite back at the hotel than out at some fancy restaurant. She leaned forward and gently placed her hand on his knee to get his attention as she looked back up at him. She was certain there were tears clinging to her eyes though they hadn't escaped.

"Avarice?" It was the first time she'd ever called him anything besides Arthur out loud. "Could we go back?" She asked softly. She didn't want to speak up too much as she was honestly afraid that her voice would give way if she tried to. She didn't expect him to understand. She didn't expect him to understand the sudden change in her mood, the tears that had yet to break from the confines of her eyes, or her sudden decision to not go out. "I don't really want to go out anymore." She said as she looked down before sitting back up. She wasn't upset over anything he did, in fact she was more upset for him than anything else. He must have been so lonely. He'd been alive for so long and yet she was the first real companion that he'd had in quite some time she assumed. "Maybe we could go back and just do something simple." She kept her gaze downcast as she spoke. "I know you aren't that big on simple but maybe jut this once, please?" She smiled weakly. She took a breath, knowing that she had no right to be upset. She wasn't the one that was lonely, Greed was. "Perhaps we could just enjoy a simple meal, watch a movie, and enjoy a couple drinks?" She knew she was opening a can of worms with that last suggestion. "Might be a little easier to get to know one another back at the suite than at some crowded fancy restaurant."

He noticed the tenderness of her tone first. The way she seemed to be holding back something, desperately restraining her emotions lest everything spill out. The choked-back vulnerability of one whose cup was fit to overflow. He knew not why she was suddenly so emotional, so raw and exposed, but he understood that she did not wish to be in public in such a state. And that inquiring as to the why of things would likely just push her over the edge. Greed nodded without meeting her gaze, knocking once more on the window and bidding the driver to take them back once the slide opened. So it was that, almost immediately after their outing began, they turned around and instead began to head back to the hotel. "Please," he said simply, lacking any of the arrogance or swagger or sarcasm from before; a flat, empty tone, almost gentle in its neutrality. "You may just call me 'Arthur' if that's what you're comfortable with." He smiled that meaningless little smile, still not meeting her gaze as he sipped once more from his glass and gingerly patted the hand she still held upon his knee. "You are correct in thinking I am not a fan of simple things, my dear, but I promised you whatever you desired and so I provide. It isn't good business for the Devil to break his word."

They returned to the hotel, once more entering through the main lobby though it was hauntingly empty this time around. It was intentional; she wished to evade the public eye, and so technically the lobby was off limits to everyone for a time, but rules did not apply to Mammon or to his wife. The Devil escorted her to the elevator which lead directly to her current abode, letting her change from the fanciful dress she had chosen to the simpler, more humdrum gown she'd worn before. A servant occupied the kitchen, making only a little noise as they prepared a modest meal of steak and buttered potatoes. Greed simply waited at the small, two-person square table and smiled, gesturing for Laressa to sit down across from him when she was changed and presented herself again. He'd removed his coat, watch and ring; no extravagance, no pomp or flair. Just the two of them and a rudimentary dinner, like she'd asked for, and not a complaint from him. "A simple enough meal," he said, gesturing to the kitchen as the servant worked, "after which we can sit down on the couch and watch something together over a few glasses of wine." He smiled the same empty little smile. "After which I'll see you to bed before departing for the evening. It is more modest a date than what I had planned, but I can't very well expect you to be happy when I force you to go places you do not wish to be, now can I?" He chuckled then, leaning back in his chair and looking aside, out one of the many tall one-way windows that comprised the walls of this place. "I do believe the last time I did something even remotely modestly was before my brothers and I fell from grace. We were seraphim, you know; amongst the highest of angels, the most resplendent and divine of our kind. But Luficer, myself and the others, we dared to think there was more to existence than our Father; we dared let things other than Him occupy our thoughts, and for that we were judged and cast out." The memories flew through him, old and unbidden but nonetheless almost present for how vivid they were.

"Our wings burned and turned ashen, our halos crumbled. Our very essences cried out, bereft of the only thing they had known and the thing by which we had measured our existence. But Lucifer told us 'better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven' and we agreed, because there was nothing else to do; we replaced God's approval with our respective downfalls and, over time, we changed into the creatures we are today; faces of the being you know as the Devil, manifestations of the seven deadly sins and common representations of all the evil in the world." A sigh, embittered and remorseful, passed his lips. "I will be the first to admit that those who fall to our sins are wont to cause misery for others, to bring suffering upon the world. That the serpent's temptation of Eve is the root of all misfortune. But it is only through us that great things can occur; those with great pride must make great works, those with much greed contribute great things for it, those of great sloth seek ways to make ease. Wrath comes in vengeance as well as without provocation, envy drives men to surpass each other. Even lust, in its own way, drives people to seek pleasure and escape pain, not just of the flesh but of the mind. We are the manifestation of sin and the embodiment of evil, yes; but without darkness one cannot truly comprehend the scope of light." Greed closed his eyes, ceasing his rambling and chuckling ruefully to himself. "No doubt you either do not care or disagree, believing as all faithful do that were my brothers and I to have never existed that all would be for the better. I apologize for my monologue."

He gestured with a hand towards the pair of plates that the servant was bringing; simple white porcelain with unornamented steel utensils. "Come, let us eat, drink and be merry. That is what you wished for the night, yes?"

"Thank you, Arthur." Laressa said quietly as she sat back and waited for the return to the hotel. She was a tad surprised to find the lobby so hauntingly empty, though she felt as though Mammon might have had something to do with it. They silently made their way back to the suite. Once they arrived back in the extravagant suite Greed instructed her to go change back into the dress she'd worn earlier. A part of her felt bad for asking him to do this. She knew he wasn't a fan of simplicity and the proof of that was evident, and yet he'd still agreed to a simple evening. All because she'd asked him for one. The only price she need pay was her companionship. She came out in her simple, but elegant dark blue gown. She smiled weakly as he gestured for her to sit across from him and did as requested. She listened as he explained how he planned for the evening to progress. She found herself looking down at her hands when mentioned that it wasn't quite what he'd had planned, but that he couldn't quite expect her to be happy when he took her places she didn't wish to go. "You are allowed to tell me no." She told him without looking up. She was quite certain that he was more than aware of this fact. They were, after all, in his domain, and yet he seemed to cater to her every whim, even those that he would not normally cater to. She found this almost heart warming. She wasn't sure if this stemmed from some hidden kindness or if he merely did it to keep her happy. After all, what good was it to show off your beautiful wife when she was obviously unhappy. Having the best of everything would also lead one to believe that you're wife would be happy and taken care of, lest your marriage be the one thing that fell short. "We could always compromise. It doesn't have to always be my way or yours." She smiled a bit at this. Her parents had always been ones to compromise. Mainly because they often wanted to do different things, but they'd never let it affect their marriage or their feelings for one another.

She'd brought her attention back to the moment at hand just in time to catch him reliving old memories. His words weighed heavy on her heart. It seemed that even Greed itself could feel pain. Laressa's eyes did not fill with tears as they had earlier. This time they merely seemed saddened. As though she felt sorry for Mammon, as though she wished to heal that hurt. However there was nothing she could do, and so she just listened. She smiled, almost sadly, as he chuckled to himself and mentioned that she most likely disagreed with him or didn't care. She shook her head and looked him in the eyes. "I may not understand, not even in the slightest." She started as the servant began to bring the food to them. "But that doesn't mean that I do not care. You are my husband, and while this may not have been a situation that I chose for myself I intend to make the best out of it. As such I will do my best to be there for you, as a loving wife should. You don't have to apologize, and there's not really a need to. We should try and make an actual relationship out of this. I don't disagree. If everything was good all the time then no one could cherish it. You have to no pain and suffering, unhappiness, or loneliness to properly appreciate the good. More importantly though, I would never wish you hadn't existed. I may have wished for our meeting to have been different, to perhaps have gotten to know you a bit more, or to have even been able to plan and have a proper wedding, but never that you didn't exist." She smiled as he seemed to wave the topic away and mentioned that they should eat, drink and be merry. She nodded and the evening progressed. The meal was simple, but quite wonderful and afterwards they did indeed settle down to watch a movie over a few glasses of wine.

By the second glass she found herself being a bit more out spoken in regards to her previous opinion that evening. She turned her attention away from the movie and looked at Arthur, who she happened to be sitting right next to. "The way I see it you want the best of everything right?" She started. She could already tell that she was starting to get buzzed, though he might not have been able to tell just yet, but within the next few minutes he would most likely know. "That would include your marriage as well, I'd assume." She said with a sigh. "And if you want to have the best marriage then that means we have to work on it. You can't just snap your fingers and make your marriage better." She said with a giggle. "But I digress. We barely know each other, well I barely know you, the real you I mean.... I-" She shook her head as she found herself rambling. "Anyways, you could honestly know a lot about me, I don't really know, but we do need to get to know how each of us thinks, what we like, and how to bridge that gap into something that both of us can enjoy. It wouldn't do for only one of us to be happy or get anything from this marriage, because then it wouldn't be the best. Then you'd have the best of everything save for one thing." She said as she held out a singular finger. "And it wouldn't do for Avarice himself to have a shitty marriage." She added as she looked up at him with her bright shining blue eyes.

Back
Top Bottom