Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dark Influence (SilverScar & Belle Dujour)

SilverScar

Planetoid
"Do we have an agreement on the price?"

The king stared into the flickering fireplace, dark blue eyes starting off into the dancing flames. His crown was set aside on the mantelpiece, kingly robes tucked away for the morning light. He was dressed in a simple dark robe now, revealing a long mane of blonde hair that fell down across his shoulders. A young man, for a king at least. Ascending to the throne at the age of twenty, youth seen as a weakness as the kingdom fractured from the uprising of several Dukes who thought they might run things better in his place, a civil war that had gone on for six long years, a war that had the other kingdoms greedily eyeing his lands.

He needed this war to be over, he needed his people to be safe again...and slowly his gaze turned from the fire to the man sprawled in the seat across from him. A man the king hated, despised but needed.

"And what would a fiend like you want with my daughter?"

A lighthearted chuckle, black gloves rising from the shadows of the chair in defense "My liege, do not think of me as some perverted acolyte here to scam you of your virgin daughter. I only want her for the power that she holds, the magical gift inside her. Whether or not she grows up ugly or beautiful has no correlation with magical talent, talent that she holds moreso than any of your sons. All strong looking lads, more than able to become suitable heirs to your throne"

His words were honeyed, his tone like the chirping of a lark. The king felt his large hands squeezing together tightly into fists, resisting the urge to leap across the short space between them and strangle the shadowy man where he sat...besides, such an attack would be useless against the sorcerer.

"Why after her eighteenth birthday?"

"Magical reasons"

The king didn't have to see the face of the man to know he was grinning. Would he do it? Was he really the sort of man willing to sacrifice his own daughter to this monster for peace?

He already knew the answer to that question. It was why the shadowy figure was here.

May the gods forgive him...

It was an insult! It was a scandal!

How could the King allow his only daughter, fair, brave, vivacious, to be sold like a common brood mare? And even then to a notorious sorcerer who seemed to have more evil deeds attached to his name the longer noble men talked of him. And their beloved Princess Gwendolyn, only eighteen and still filled with such youth and vibrancy of life, was to be given to him as a sacrificial lamb?

The King had explained his reasoning so many times that he could recite it verbatim from memory without even thinking about it. He'd repeated it to himself, his sons, heads of state...and yet the one person he'd only needed to speak it to once was Gwen herself. Admittedly the first time she heard it, Gwen felt angry, shocked, confused, and afraid altogether in a horrific cocktail of emotion. She'd very nearly fainted! But since then...she came to understand why, even if she didn't like it. If it meant her...potential discomfort...or the loss of her people, she liked to imagine she was brave enough to accept her duty.

But that didn't mean on this day, her eighteenth birthday, that she didn't keep to herself. She couldn't even have the servants around, for they would either lament her future loss, or delight themselves at mocking her when they thought she couldn't hear them. So that morning as she sat in the bath she washed herself, scrubbed her fair skin, and washed her long, auburn curls. A few times she could feel herself shaking, threatening to break down, but when that happened she would close her dark brown eyes tight and count to ten. If by ten she didn't cry, she promised herself she wouldn't. If she did cry, then she cried, and let it go.

She'd counted to ten five times and cried only twice.

And now she could only wait. Standing in the throne room with her father and two elder brothers - Roderick and James - she straightened her fine, dark green dress nervously as she waited the Sorcerer. The man who would determine her destiny.

The shadows around the room suddenly began to twitch and shudder, seemingly pulled by invisible strings towards the center of the room. Melting together, they formed a sinister looking circle of shifting darkness, the sound of desperate whispers coming from within the circle of shadows. A humanoid shape began to rise from the darkness, other smaller shapes seeming to twitch and shiver within, as the shadows slowly beginning to return to their original states and positions. As they did so, the darkness began to fade away from the humanoid shape, revealing a man in black and silver robes.

Viktor Hartsworn was a tall man, standing at least six feet, with broad shoulders and a warrior's build to match. Emerald green eyes looked out among those gathered, lips curled in a confident looking smile. Regal blonde hair was timmed neatly, tattooed black markings covering the left side of his face, like tree roots growing upwards from his chest. His robes looked as though they'd cost a small fortune, as though this man had not just risen up from the shadows, but was a representative from a bank or trader's guild. Sorcerer of evil or not, the man radiated wealth and power, a black gloved hand raising to motion Aislinn forward.

"Come, princess. It time for you to leave this life behind" The words were not so much spoken, as they were felt, a crackling charge of energy rumbling throughout the throne room "I would prefer that we make a swift, peaceful exit"

Viktor's eyes shifted slightly to the king. All these years later, and the sorcerer had not appeared to age a day. He had waited patiently for this day and now the time had come. Even with such a distance between them, he could sense the power within the young princess, a power he had sensed all those years ago when he'd first appeared on her father's doorstep with his deal. She had grown into such a beauty, a pleasant bonus, but not a necessity.

Gwendolyn felt a shiver curl up her spine like ice creeping over a too soon budded leaf of Spring. The man before her was perhaps attractive in his own way, but Gwen was far too daunted by the power this man suddenly had over her. Why Viktor wanted her was an absolute mystery. Sure she was a Princess, and had no disillusions about how female members of royalty were sometimes traded amongst powerful men as pawns to achieve some end. But still, she was young, had no time to make her mark on the world that would so determine her value. What was she worth to anyone outside of herself? In the dark nights she would spend reading alone in her private Library she some time imagined herself as a pure sacrifice to be given to Viktor as though he were some dragon.

Though, by the gods, he could well be.

Still, Gwen took his warning and gave him a brave smile as she locked her fingers together in front of her and walked towards him. Any tearful goodbyes had been had. It would not do for the court to see their King or their Princes fall to their knees and weep for the loss of their daughter and sister. So Gwen did not even look back towards them, for fear of anything interrupting or messing up this show they were all performing. "Sir," she said as she came within a foot of him. "Lead on."

The sorcerer watched silently as the princess approached him, glancing to her father and brother's with cautious eyes. He didn't need anyone trying to be a hero today. Viktor wasn't here because he desired to be, but Princess Gwendolyn was a prize too important to be left to underlings. The dark markings on his face seemed to shiver with anticipation as the princess walked towards him, his gaze turning to her as Viktor was finally allowed a chance to look upon the woman that had been promised to him. Princess Gwendolyn was indeed a beautiful woman, that he had been able to discern from his arrival, but actually being able to see her now, in all her royal splendor...a sure prize for any man lucky enough to earn her hand.

A strong arm reached out and roughly took hold of the princess, pulling her close against Viktor's strong form as the circle of shadows suddenly exploded with light. Normally this would be the part in the story where the villain called out a final warning to the good king about not following him, but such dramatics were not needed here. Holding the princess's lithe form, the pair vanished from the throne room in a flash of blinding fiery light, leaving no trace of them once the light settled and the shadowy circle vanished. The throne room would remain quiet for awhile, as those in attendance struggled to come to terms with what had just transpired before their eyes...

For Gwendolyn and Viktor, it would feel as though they'd been caught up within a great, icy wind as darkness clouded their senses before suddenly finding themselves far from where they had been moments before. Instead, the pair found themselves in a strange looking dome shaped room. The white marble floor had strange golden lines drawn all around it, crisscrossing in seemingly random patterns. The curved ceiling was black, dotted with eerie blue lights that twinkled above, like stars on a clear night. There was no evidence of a door until Viktor released Gwen from his grasp, turning his back to her as he made his way to the nearest edge of the door, a portion of the smooth wall opening up as he approached

"Come child. I assume you have many questions for me"

He spoke normally now, though Viktor's deep voice still maintained it's commanding tone without the added magical power.

The open halls outside the strange circular room were much more inviting and familiar. Torches warmed the smooth stone, carpets of a deep crimson lining the floor. Tall glass windows hinted at a foreign landscape of tall dark trees and mountains. Viktor led Gwen through the halls at a brisk pace until they came upon a pair of large wooden doors which swung open to reveal a small balcony. A pair of very comfy looking chairs sat behind a sturdy looking stone railing overlooking the forest hinted behind the windows. As the trees stretched for miles, it looked as though Viktor's home had been built into the side of a mountain, and if Gwen were to glance down below, should would find herself looking a steep, sharp drop down to the rocky slope of the mountain itself.

"Castle Hartsworn" Viktor explained as he took one of the seats for himself, emerald eyes watching Gwen with keen interest "Built by my great grandfather, Alexander Hartsworn. An anarchist in his day, he hoped that by building his own private fortress out here that he would be free from entangling himself with the affairs of the outside world. A single road leads down the mountain to the various small towns and trading posts, though it becomes inaccessible in winter. We are in the late months of fall now, which is why I have sent the staff of the castle away until spring...and makes this the most opportune time for us to be here undisturbed"

The sorcerer raised a hand at that, indicating he was not yet finished talking "I shall answer any and all questions you have, Princess, but I would make a few things clear first. First, I have not brought you here to be a slave of mine in any respect. Your beauty has nothing to do with why I have brought you here. With that said, I hope you realize that any attempts to escape or cause myself or this castle harm will be met with severe punishment. If this is understood, then please feel free to ask of me whatever you wish"

The sudden pull of dark magic made Gwendolyn gasp as she buried her face in the chest of her captor. She felt her body being pulled in every and no direction all at once, falling prey to the deep shadows that called out to the both of them. She felt her stomach churn and her chest shudder with fear as her fingers pressed into the fabric of her new captor's robes. And just when Gwen thought she might start screaming, the world reformed around them like rain clouds starting to form in the sky, and Gwen felt her feet touch solid ground. And oh, what sweet solid ground it was! Gwen nearly felt her knees buckle but she sturdied her resolve and refused to crumple in the presence of her captor. He would not get the satisfaction. Gwen didn't know what he was plotting or planning, but she knew she had to be ready for anything.

And being a mess on the floor would not help.

Viktor began to lead her through the castle, her new home, and Gwen had to admit - it was breathtaking! The castle she grew up in was rich and fine, yes, but it held not nearly the intrigue or opulent enigmas of this place! She imagined herself gazing at the black ceiling with its star like lights, warming her hands to the warmth in the castle halls, and gazing out the magnificent windows to the vast forests beyond. Perhaps he would let her walk those forests or ride them - if he owned horses - for there were few things Gwen loved more. Especially given it was Fall - her favorite time of the year!

She fought down her fascination and listened to Viktor explain the history of this place - Castle Hartsworn - as he settled into a chair that over looked the forest. So they were alone. That was...enough to make Gwen a little nervous. What did he have planned for her? She did not sit down at the chair just yet. Instead she took a few steps beyond him to the balcony edge and placed her hands on the cool railing. Her eyes scanned the distant tree line and when he mentioned the nature of her imprisonment, she looked over her shoulder at him in slight confusion.

"I assume my first question is the obvious question," she said as she slowly turned back around and leaned back against the railing. "I'm not your slave...and you don't desire me for my beauty...so I have to assume you want me here for either companionship or some other ulterior motive. You're clearly a man of means, so I doubt its for ransom...and you've got plenty of fortification to defend yourself, so I imagine you do not need leverage. You do not strike me as cruel - otherwise you wouldn't care whether or not your servants made it out alright...unless you are a cunning man who says such things to win over my trust." She paused here and smirked softly at herself. "So you see? I simply must ascertain my answer."

Dramatics weren't normally how Viktor liked to play things. Being the shadowy figure was an act of necessity, not because he enjoyed playing the role of a mustache twirling bad guy. Of course, even he couldn't help but indulge himself every now and then, and looking out onto a mountain landscape while discussing the future of a princess certainly helped up that dramatic factor quite a bit. Listening to Gwen as she spoke, Viktor had guessed that the Why would be the first question she asked. After all, not many people could say that there lives had been sold to a dark sorcerer and certainly those who had been were never wouldn't have had such...openness.

"Very well. Why did the dark wizard ask the great king for his infant daughter and wait until her eighteenth birthday before taking her away?" Viktor mused aloud, just a touch of amusement in his voice as his gaze moved from the mountain landscape to the young woman leaning out against the stone railing "Because, Gwendolyn, you were destined to be a very powerful woman. You see, most people inherit the ability to manipulate magic in one of two ways...they have a bloodline of magic or they simply have it, randomly. You, my dear princess, are one of the randoms. And that makes you very, very special"

Motioning for Gwendolyn to sit beside him, Viktor waited a moment to see how she would react before continuing his explanation regardless "Randoms are powerful. A thousand generations of farmers and suddenly you have a son or daughter that'll make it rain everyday, heal any wounds or ailments and scare away wolves. In your case, it was a thousand generations of royalty before the gift was passed on to you. And while this events are so often, as I put, random..there can be signs, especially when those signs surround a queen. Others had already begun to move in for you, when I made the deal with your father. An uprising of the magnitude he was facing is normally the type you see against tyrants. His rivals were being backed by others who wished you to either be one of them or dead. I simply had to assert myself and the rebellions died away"

He was smiling, quite clearly pleased with how the events had transpired in his favor "As to what I intend for you now? I'd ask you to be my apprentice"

Gwendolyn moved to sit beside Viktor finally as he spoke about magic and bloodlines and what all should have been very strange to her. While Gwendolyn already knew there was something...off...about her, she had no idea about 'randoms' or bloodlines the way he spoke of them. She patiently waited for him to finish speaking and while she had no idea that her life was already in danger - or that others even knew - she hid her shock and a bit of dismay fairly well. A Princess, young though she may be, could be expected to participate in politics and therefore Gwen knew how to keep a fairly straight face and look as though very little affected her.

The man seemed utterly pleased with himself - be it his words or the story behind them she didn't know. "As for my magic? I think I've always known something was...off about me. I didn't exactly know what until one day I did this..." Gwen looked at the sky ahead of them and she closed her eyes. She remembered the day when her father was supposed to hold a tournament for her hand in marriage - and Gwen had hated the idea so much that she had prayed and prayed for rain. She wished for it with every fiber of her being, visualized clouds gathering and darkening, mentally conjured the sound of what it rain hitting the roof sounded like, what the sweet smell of rain on the trees smelled like...and as she did so now the same effect occurred.

The clouds darkened - there was no thunder - but on the distant forest ahead of them where there had been a clear sky the moisture in the air around the trees coalesced into thick storm clouds. No thunder or lightning - she couldn't figure that part yet - but the smell of rain filtered in through the breezes that swept through the trees and sure enough rain began falling on the tree tops. Gwen took in a deep breath, loving the scent and the coolness that came from rain and trees and night. After a few minutes of this she let go of her focus and relaxed back into her chair. "That was three years ago that I discovered I could do this...I've not stretched it much because I've always been taught that magic is something old and ancient - to be feared - and those who practice it are not treated much better...so I tried to hide it. Though now I see it was somewhat fruitless. People must have known..." she sighed deeply and then looked back at him.

"And to hear you tell it...you've essentially saved not just my kingdom but my own life, so I can hardly deny you your request...the fact that you request at all, even if its only a formality..." she paused here to smirk softly, recognizing her own luck, "tells me that we could certainly work together. So my answer is yes, I will be your apprentice."

Weather manipulation was a common manifestation of one's inner magical abilities. Snow in the summer and bright, sunny days in winter were often clues that mages followed seeking out those who might not be aware of their gifts. It sounded like Gwendolyn had only focused on the rain, and it sounded like due to the teachings of the fools at the palace. she hadn't yet realized how powerful she could potentially become. Then again, it was probably the teachings of those fools that had allowed Gwendolyn to remain unnoticed from those that would seek to interfere with Viktor's plans "Magic is certainly something to be feared. In the wrong hands and with the wrong mindset, the power can tear you apart. But with the proper teachings and a strong will..."

Viktor opened the palm of his hand, a ball of flickering blue flames hovering in his palm. It was about the size of a closed fist, but the heat was so intense that even Gwendolyn would feel as though she was standing before a roaring fire. Opening his other hand, Viktor revealed a frozen orb of frost and slowly pressed the elements of ice and fire together. His brow furrowed in concentration, the fire and ice began to shift their shapes, encircling each other in a combined sphere that was both terribly cold and intensely hot. It was a memorizing display, the flames dancing through the crevices of ice as if neither could affect the other, before Viktor closed his hands together and the fire and ice were snuffed out, with only a whisp of smoke to hint at what had just transpired.

"I am pleased to hear you will be cooperative. Being an apprentice isn't quiet as glamorous as the stories make it out to be, but what I can promise you is a opportunity to make yourself into something greater than what you were before" Viktor turned to Gwendolyn, his mouth curved in an almost wolfish grin "You are now in a position to influence the events of the entire continent, my dear apprentice. Kings and Queens, Lords and Ladies, even the godly Priests in their holy temples shall come to us for counsel and support. Sure, in public they may call us heathens who like to play God but in private they pray that we will help them...but of course there is a reason we do this from the shadows"

With a sudden flourish, Viktor stood up and motioned to the castle corridors "Now, I have a few things to take care of in private. While I do this, I can escort you to your quarters and you can ensure it is to your liking before we have dinner?"

Gwendolyn had not even considered the idea of refusing Viktor's training. There was just too much to be learned, too much to be curious about, why would she turn him down? And aside from all that...he had saved her life. She watched the magnificent show of fire and ice in his hand, and then smiled warmly as both energies simmered down. There was nothing but smoke and mist left, and she was absolutely entranced. Her heart was aflutter with curiosity as though he had reached out to touch her with lightning instead of fire or ice. Even that grin of his wasn't enough to stall her interest. "You speak of power," Gwen began, "And while power is nice...I'm here because I want to learn. I'm legitimately curious about what there is to know...so how about you partake in your power play - the Kings, the Queens and nobles...and I will be the one who pours over countless books and comes up with new ways to entertain said important people."

As Viktor stood and motioned towards the caste as though banishing her from his presence she hesitated. She wasn't entirely sure she wanted to be alone in that large castle. At least not yet. She would rather have company. Even though she was happy to get the chance to learn more about her magical gifts, she was also taken away from everything she had ever known. And she wasn't too keen on being absolutely alone in this massive, intimidating castle right now. She was sure in due course that she would love to explore these vast caverns, but that would come later. "In private?" she asked, her voice a bit more soft and placating. "Must it be? If I am to be your apprentice...I should learn what you do, should I not?" The excuse was a flimsy one, for sure, but she also did not want to come out and admit that she thought she would be very lonesome in this castle by herself.

"You may live to regret that request, my dear apprentice" Viktor chuckled as he led Gwendolyn back towards the warm halls of the castle and away from the cool air of the balcony "There are thousands of books that fill the library of my father and his grandfather's. Countless is certainly an appropriate phrase, but I would caution you to put all your time into simply reading. Knowledge is important, yes, but also dangerous. There are limits to our humanity, after all..."

As Viktor spoke, he walked with Gwendolyn towards her quarters, the atmosphere of the castle began to change. A vanilla scent danced through the air and the tapestries and paintings on the walls no longer showed off dark forests, but bright pictures of cities and people. A few large paintings of stern eyed men looked to be personal portraits, all of them wearing plain, though elegant robes that almost appeared to be priestly. Smaller pictures included what might be assumed to be other family members, young boys with mischievous smiles alongside pleasant looking women. A strong patriarch seemed to be the key to the families, with the women and children always appearing in smaller portraits to the men.

Regardless, it seemed as though this part of the castle would have been where the people actually lived their lives. A table beside a window even had a small vase with flowers in it, a splash of color to the dreary stonework. Certainly not something Viktor would have thought up.

"And while I would normally agree with you, the people I shall be communicating with cannot know of your existence. Not yet" Viktor continued "You have no idea of your value, Gwendolyn"

He turned to her then, cupping her chin in his surprisingly warm hand, Viktor tilted her chin up so that she was looking into his emerald gaze, his expression that of a stern teacher "While you reside within my castle, you are under my complete protection. No one can sense you and the location of this castle is known only to a select few...but those who I am seeing today are those who would sniff you out like rabid dogs for the power you hold dear...but..."

A smile grew upon his lips, so much more charming than the look he had before, as the sorcerer looked past the excuses Gwendolyn had uttered as his hand released her "I suppose that it is not fair of me to leave you so soon after bringing you here. My business can be conducted later, though I insist on showing you to your chambers to ensure it is to your liking"

Gwendolyn's quarters, it turned out, just happened to be down the next corner. An elegantly carved wooden door suggested this one to be much more special than the others, and as Viktor swung the door open, it was clear this room had been prepared for such a special guest. A bed against the far wall looked like what a kind would sleep upon, crimson and gold sheets looking regal and wondrous in appearance. An open closet displayed a wide array of clothing choices, from practical to noble to even a little risque. A pair of glass doors opened up to another balcony that overlooked the forest and a desk on the other side beside an empty bookshelf looked to be a perfect study area.

"I had the servants prepare it based on information we received about you. If you find anything ill fitting, they can always be replaced during our trips to and from the various cities we will be visiting. Take your time to look around, I'll be just outside"

Limits. Yes, Gwen knew limits, but right now she didn't recognize them. She was far too excited, far too enthralled with what she saw to think of limits. Her imagination perhaps didn't go so far yet as to hit a limit, but she had little doubt that she would soon. As Viktor led her through the hall she gasped as the changes in the castle manifested around her. Warm rushes of magic filled the hall and changed things. Gwen assumed this was for the coming visitors but she did not ask as she studied the changes - the new paintings, the portraits, and what they represented.

"Because I am born without a bloodline," she repeated as she followed him but when he stopped and cupped her chin she immediately halted and tilted her face up. The touch of his hand was warm and gentle....nothing like what Gwen was expecting. His expression started as stern but Gwen was so lost in this sudden brush of contact what it did not daunt her. When she felt his eyes focus on her and saw his smile she felt a warm shudder race up and down her spine. Whether it was from magic or merely the sight of that smile and the warmth of his offer, Gwen did not know. But in that moment he could have asked her to venture with him to the farthest reaches of the Earth and she would have followed. No one had ever dared touch her in so tender a manner...and his words were soothing.

When he released her and turned to walk on Gwen had to remind herself to be composed and she walked on with him. When they came to her room she was absolutely pleased. She had thought she might be subject to a prison cell when she first arrived, but this was above and beyond what she expected. Crimson and gold - her favorite combination of colors! As she stepped into the room she ran her fingers along the bed spread before turning to the closet. She glanced at the clothing...and her eyes fell to the risqué material with a bit of amusement. But rather than comment she turned towards him with a bright smile.

"This is wonderful, Viktor - thank you!" she said as she turned and quickly made her way over to the bookshelf area. "I'll have to fill this with books! I will be going with you to the various cities, right? So I may collect them as we go? I would really love to."

Once she was done looking around she walked up to him and extended an arm as if asking him to take it. "I would love to see more of the castle - the grounds especially. Do you have any gardens?"

It was pleasing to see Gwen falling easily into her new role. Being swept away in such a fashion had clearly not been an easy thing, but Viktor felt he'd done an excellent job at showing his young apprentice that she hadn't lost anything. She'd only gained more than what she'd lost, more than she could ever know. Pride was an emotion that the older sorcerer often attempted to avoid, but watching as Gwen looked about her room with excitement, Viktor couldn't help but feel proud. Young, eager to learn, it was wonderful to watch her and remember how he'd felt when he'd first become an apprentice as well, so long ago. Brushing the shades of the past aside, Viktor looked to Gwen as the questions began to flow.

"Cities, yes. Temples, palaces, old tombs, forests, we go where we are needed. I have many agents out in the world that keep tabs for me. What you decide to bring back with you, whether they be books, clothes or jewels, is up to you" Viktor explained as he watched from the doorway as Gwen returned to his side, his arm naturally moving to take her extended arm as any regal gentleman would to a princess. Walking beside Gwen with a natural grace, Vitkor continued speaking "As for gardens, I'm afraid we won't see any until the weather warms and the servants return. I do have a small plant collection in my labratory, but the plants their are kept for their alchemic properties"

Not to mention a few of the plants within would see his apprentice as a tasty treat.

"If you would like a tour, the first place we should visit is the dining room and kitchen. As your magic begins to blossom, you'll find that just like weapons training and athletics, your body will be using much more energy to fuel your power. It's not something that's widely talked about, but we magic users eat more than our share of food and maintaining our energy at a proper pace is essential. I eat about five meals a day, not including the trays of fruit I bring with me to my lab and the library..." Looking down at Gwen, Viktor let out a soft chuckle "Do not worry though, the extra food consumption will do nothing to ruin your feminine figure"

Back
Top Bottom