Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Illuminator's Groom (Protagonist / causeway)

causeway25oclock

Supernova
Aboard the Unity's Judgement

Kael, Illuminator of the Ascendancy, was not in the mood to be harassed. She made no effort to hide this; the Ascendant were a telepathic race, immensely powerfully so. They followed the Unity, a philosophy and society that focused on existing in a state of collective harmony and purpose, forming effectively a gestalt super-consciousness.

Therefore, there was no reason for these aides of hers to be pestering her. They knew her decision was made.

The fleet had been patrolling the Great Wastes, upon reports that the Enemy was operating out here for unknown purposes. They had found a small derelict ship, of a design unknown and primitive, likely one of the younger races that was still beneath their notice. But once they had begun examining the wreckage and found a survivor, Kael remembered the prophecy.

"Your eminence, I understand your faith in the prophecy, but isn't this being a bit... rash?" Her adjutant said, or rather communicated wordlessly.

"Bold, rather. The Coalescences would dither too long, trying to interpret the will of the Unity, when it has been made clear. My decision is made."

The inside of the Unity's Judgement was a great cavernous space, appearing as much temple as starship. There were silver accents arrayed in intricate detail, and floating, shimmering crystals, many of which provided illumination. They arrived at a chamber separated off, where the survivor was being kept. A pair of guards, equipped with gleaming silver armor and holding staff-like weapons tipped with blue crystals, stood vigil at the entrance. Kael dismissed them, and stepped inside, meeting the primitive alien.

In 2040, NASA began tracking an object in the distant Kuiper Belt.
Initially, it was assumed to be some form of comet. However, this proved incorrect when they found it changing direction and velocity of its own power. In fact, it seemed to be heading towards Earth. The object was some form of space craft.

About a week later, it arrived at Low Earth Orbit.
The world eagerly awaited what the new visitors had in store for them.

That was when the UFO deployed missiles, aimed at various fault lines around the world. Their intention seemed to be to trigger Earth Quakes. Roughly 3 million died in the attack.

They sent down their armies to Earth. They didn't try to blow up the white house or anything like that-their targets were mostly oil and uranium producing 3rd world countries-in order to cut off power supplies to the Terrestrial Militaries.

Their true might, however, laid not in their troops, but rather in their deployment of biological weaponry. They created a disease that spreads and kills very rapidly.

It turns out, however, the UFO conspiracy nuts were half-right. The aliens are very much like the Greys. However, they were wrong in that the government wasn't using area 51 to experiment on aliens or their technology. It's just an expiremental aircraft facility. Or at least, that was the case before the war, they've (ironically) since re-purposed the facility for exactly that purpose.

The war's been going on for about 10 years, and over a billion people have died, particularly due to the illness. Eventually, the UK managed to launch a nuke past the ship's forecfeilds, and destroyed it. All was peaceful, for about a year. In fact, they're's rumors of Daedalus Corporation finding a cure for the illness.

More ships came, though. The Greys did not want to give up. And why would they? Earth was just one planet. They had several planets worth of resources.

However, the US government started to invent its own FTL drive. They sent a human starcraft to the enemy, with the intention of destroying the area they were attacking from, to get them to finally stop.

The attack was a good idea in theory, the mission was unsuccesful. The ship was destroyed. Lewis managed to get to an escape pod before the ship blew.

Lewis was the captain of the ship. He awoke on board the Unity's Judgement, in a glass pod. He looked around, and saw an alien. Instinctively, (reflexively, even) he tried to attack her-no use, he was restrained.

He paused for a moment, and then leaned back, and let himself relax. He looked at the Alien woman and said "You're not one of the greys, are you?". He doubted she could understand him.

Kael had no need of a translation device; although this alien's mind was simple and lacking psionic talent, she could derive enough information to understand his words.

"We are not your enemy. In fact, we share a common enemy." Her words came from her crystalline tiara, their technology highly advanced. "I am Illuminator Kael of the Ascendancy."

He heard a voice in his head. Clearly, the Alien was using some form of telepathy; Lewis figured that the Greys communicated similarly. They never actually saw them communicate, though.

The alien stated she was "Illuminator Kael of the Ascendancy". Lewis spoke aloud "I'm Major Lewis Gage of the United States Airforce."

She said she had a common enemy, obviously the greys. There had been rumors of a second alien race.
"It doesn't surprise me that the Greys have more than one enemy. Are you...going to send me back home?" he asked.

Kael paused, considering her next actions carefully. The path she had chosen was controversial to say the least, and she feared that she would have to take radical measures to see it through to the end.

Using telepathy to impose one's will over another was the height of taboo to the followers of the Unity. Such domination of the will was completely against everything the collectivism that it stood for. Influencing the minds of lesser species, even in the service of the war effort, could be seen as crossing the line.

Kael would toe the line, using telepathic suggestion to convince this Gage to aid her in fulfilling the prophecy.

"I can take you home..." She broadcast, "but your mission would be a failure. We know you were sent to deliver a blow to the Enemy and protect your world. I can help you achieve that goal."

Lewis thought about what she said. She was right, his mission was a failure. In fact, it would probably be better to head anywhere except home right now, as home is currently being bombarded by the Greys.

Of course, finding an ally to help stop the greys was even better.

He asks "You can help us? How so?". "And can you release me from these restraints?"

With a thought, Kael released the bonds that were holding Lewis in place. She walked up to him, projecting an aura of majesty, to make him more accepting of their might. "The Unity has been at war with the hated Enemy for much time. Their ways are abominable to us. We have built many ships such as this, and have amassed great armies to oppose them. If you do as I instruct, I shall direct our forces to cleanse your homeworld of their filth and bring restoration to your kind."

Lewis got up, released, he took a step foreward, and then kneeled before the alien woman, and then said "Humanity greatly needs this sort of aid. I will do whatever you wish".

He knew this was necessary. It could be years before humanity had another chance like this.

Kael was pleased, though she never doubted that this would be the outcome. Between her abilities and his necessity, it was almost inevitable. "Very well. You shall accompany me on my crusade, and serve me personally. There is much to be done."

Lewis stood and then said "Very well. What do you want from me, madame?".
He noticed that she was being rather vague about what she wanted, which worried him.

"Firstly, you will teach me of your culture, and I of ours. This is Rhuoun," she said, indicating the second alien woman, "she is my second in command."

Lewis says "Ok, I can tell you about Earth...but uh, where should I start?"

The alien points to a second woman. He salutes her and says "Hello ma'am. I'm Lewis".

Kael struggled with this. "Small talk" was not something her people did; the connection they shared through the Unity meant that nothing needed to be said for them to commune. "Perhaps... you should start with what you feel is most important to know about your people. You will be staying with us for some time."

Lewis nodded. "Er, ok. Our people exist only on Earth. We once had colonies on our Moon and on a planet named Mars, and we were starting to build one on another planet's moon called Europa, but all of our colonies were destroyed fairly quickly after the Greys attacked."

He goes on. "Currently, the people of my world are divided into 150 or so nation states, but most of them are kept in check by an organization called Daedalus Corporation. They were the ones funding the off-world colonies."

Lewis answers "We were working on various weapons. We invented directed energy weapons just before they showed up. We just recently invented powered armor, as well, but it's still in the expiremental phase." He then says "We also managed to invent a starship, which is why I'm here."

Kael looked down. "Then you are helpless without our aid." She then looked up. "The fleet has arrived. We will soon depart for your home system. Come, join me in the Sanctum of the Unity's Judgement."

With that, she led the human out into the ship proper. As they headed deeper and deeper into its great chambers, Lewis found that the ship's layout was not similar to his own, a cramped, utilitarian space, but rather seemed to have been built like some great star-born cathedral. As he passed the door into the Sanctum, he found himself in some great, prismatic chamber that seemed to be suspended in the void, as he could see out through its crystal walls and into space directly. An illusion to be sure; this chamber was in the heart of the ship.

The Sanctum was domed in shape, and in its center was a great pillar of prismatic light. The crew were arranged in a circle around it, either standing or sitting before various orbs that seemed to pulse in time with the ever-shifting colors of the central pillar. Kael took her place at an elevated position, like a minister standing behind a pulpit.

"The Heart of the ship," Kael said, indicating the pillar. "The ship's psionic core, and the nexus from which we command it. Now, the fleet arrives." From beside the illuminator, Lewis could see space itself splitting open, and a number of vessels pouring out. They were each massive; vastly dwarfing his own, and elaborately decorated. Their basic forms were either oblong or crescent shape, with shining cores visible, and their polished hulls decorated with strange alien symbols and actual sculptures and statuary.

Lewis looked around at the psionic core. It seemed to be powered by lava-lamp technology.
He turns to Kael and says "It looks impressive. How does it-"

He's cut off by the sight of a dozen or so massive space ships warping into position. Lewis simply paused and blinked, awed by their glory.
It truly is a heavenly thing. They were much more impressive looking than Daedal Corp's FTL ship (though, that's to be expected-they didn't give it any spinning rims or anything), or even the Grey's utilitarian design.

But, he stopped to think and asked "They look incredible. But on Earth we have a term we call the Sukhomlinov Effect. Are they as powerful as they look?"

"You believe our fleet less formidable than they appear?" Kael said. "It matters not. We do not require blind faith; you shall behold them soon enough. Now, brace yourself; we are preparing to Far Jump."

It took the Daedal Corp's design several hours to recharge in between jumps, but these aliens were capable of recovering nearly instantaneously. A swirling mass of energy appeared in front of the Unity's Judgement, and they passed through it, traversing space in mere moments.

They arrived in the Sol system; the Greys encircled Earth, threatening the human homeworld with oblivion. But the geometric solids of the alien invasion fleet turned swiftly to confront the interlopers.

Kael closed her eyes, concentrating on the Judgement's heart, and calling forth great power from it. On the front of her ship, a massive lens began to glow with focused psionic energy. Across the fleet, the same was occurring on all Ascendant vessels. The Storm of Wrath was about to be unleashed...

The ship warps into the Solar System. The momentum is enough to throw Lewis off-balance, but he doesn't fall over.

He looks out the window to find the Earth surrounded by Grey ships, fighting off D-Corp orbital defense drones.
Once the Unity's Judgement arrives, they begin ignoring the drones to focus on fighting the Unity ships.

Lewis watching the fight, is immediately filled with dread. This is more Grey vessels than have ever attacked Earth. "Oh, dear God....". They do easily outnumber the Unity's fleet.

Despite this, the Unity fleet is rather effective; the Greys were not prepared to fight an enemy even on par with them over Earth. They had considered attacking Earth to be rather similar to squirrel hunting, you don't use an assault rifle for it.

A few Grey ships start attacking the Unity ships with greenish lasers, alongside the occasional rocket. They even attack the Unity's Judgement. The laser hits the vessel, but it only does superficial damage. A rocket is more effective, able to rattle the entire vessel.

Lewis winces when they're hit, but when the ship only rattles, he sighs a breathe of relief. He's honestly surprised, those rockets are more than enough to destroy Earth's ships.

Out of the Unity's Judgement comes giant beams of psionic energies, completely obliterating the attacking vessel. Realizing that there's simply no way to win this fight, the Grey ships go into retreat.

Lewis starts to smile when he sees the enemies retreat. He runs over to Kael and gives her a side hug. He says "You...You did it! We're alive! You saved the Earth!". Perhaps he's speaking a bit too soon, but he wasn't expecting to survive. And there's no way that the Earth could have held off that attack. Maybe the Greys will come with something even bigger, or maybe they'll decide that Earth isn't worth the effort.

If he didn't say it out loud, he was certainly thinking it, and given that she could read thoughts, probably heard it: Humanity owes you it's life. How can I ever repay you?

Kael basked in the sight of her hated foe's destruction, reveling in the sight of coiling bolts of psionic energy sweeping over the hated foe's vessels, seeking out any weakness in the design and tearing into it. The sickly green fire that powered their ships spilled forth into the void, being extinguished along with the lives of those creatures who commanded them.

The sudden contact from the human jolted her out of her reverie, and she knew what had to be done next. The human's gratitude would serve her well, as would his attraction towards her form... most fortuitous.

"I require something of you. Fear not, it will cost you little. Come with me."

Lewis lets go of her and nods, calming down almost instantly. He says "Yes, madame".
He follows her away and says "May I ask what you need?". He starts wondering what her plan is. It won't cost him much, apparently. He knows something more is up here than he knows right now-one doesn't normally save a planet and then ask for very little in return. Or at least he'd assume.

Kael took Lewis from the Sanctum, down the halls to her private chamber. Waiting outside her door, was Rhuon, her second in command.

You insist on going through with this, Rhuon admonished.

Kael stood firm. You know you cannot dissuade me.

Lewis heard none of this, but did see the second woman shooting him a death glare.

Lewis was shot a death glare and paused a moment. He didn't say anything, though. He could tell by now that whatever was going on, it was serious and he shouldn't interrupt it.

The doors opened to a bedroom. He blushed a little as he entered the room. He thinks he knows where this is going. Still, he doesn't say anything, and awaits further instructions from Kael.

After she entered, Kael closed the door. It did not have a lock, unfortunately; the communal nature of the Ascendancy meant they had little need for privacy, even in instances such as this when it was preferred. And so, she would make do with what was, trusting her subordinates not to do something... unwise. And as for the human, what he didn't know would not hurt him.

The room was rather spartan, though with a soothing, organic aesthetic. The bed was made of a form-fitting gel-like material, similar to the soles of Lewis's shoes. Oddly enough, it had no sheets.

Once they were alone, Kael began to remove the outer layers of her silver bodysuit, revealing a rather exoticly cut, though not immodestly so, brassiere and panties. "I presume our physiologies are sufficiently similar that you can infer how to proceed."

Back
Top Bottom