Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Hell of a Wasteland (ApocalypticPlayer-Kiandra_Black)

DetailedTy

Super-Earth
It always starts with a man in a white lab coat telling everyone that everything is going to be alright. Well fuck that, cause it's not alright and everything went to Hell, pretty damn fast. It started with a small town Colorado, a test subject showing signs of regenerative muscle tissue but soon it showed too much progress as the subject began to become very angry and freakishly violent. The lab was first to fall once the subject infected more people but soon the military was sent in and cleaned up the situation. Well they thought they had cleaned up the situation since a few of the infected made it into the surrounding forest. They were eventually hunted down but not before they had infected the wildlife and the dead animals bodies would infect the rivers and streams. Eventually that water would make it to the reservoir and though it was cleaned, the disease still made it through and infected the humans with a lowered immune systems. They soon turned and were able to infect other humans. By now you probably know the end result, an out of control virus that laid waste to the United States then the world. It only took a couple of years for the world to revert back to a primitive state where people had to fight for survival and work for what they wanted. Needless to say, a lot of stock brokers and CEO's didn't make it. They soon found out that money was worthless and no one would protect them for something that no longer had value.

Now, ten years after the fall of human civilization the humans are still the dominant species on Earth, just some of them are blood thirsty mutants, some are intelligent mutants but still kill humans for the food. All in all, it was a shit world to live in and only those who fought strong enough survived. The once busy cities were ghost towns with overgrown plant life and abundant with mutants. Now the big cities were traded for smaller towns that were one of two fashions, either a fortress, blocked off with fencing, walls or crushed vehicles and other debris, or make-shift towns that were moved everyday as to not warrant attention and for safety reasons. The fortress towns were nice and all though sometimes too dangerous due to mutants overtaking them. It wasn't common for a town to be taken over, but it has happened a few times over the last ten years. Once thing that the virus did do that was good, or seen as good by some, it increased the growth rate of plants and animals. Deer and other wildlife still roam the lands abundantly and though yes they do have the virus inside, they don't mutate until death. Same for the humans, all of them have the virus inside of them and only when they die will the virus take over. In order to kill the hose properly, you had to sever the brain stem of every creature or person you kill. Swift hit with the machete, bullet to the back of the neck, or the middle of the forehead, it all worked.

Now this brings us to Northern California, where Colt Griffin finds himself traveling down a country road surrounded by trees. He had a camping bag on his back, cargo pants that were black along with combat boots. his pockets were filled with all sorts of things, from first aid to ammo. A knife was around one shin and a small .45 pistol around the other. At his side he had a machete and a shotgun on his camping bag that was accessible rather easily. He had a .357 revolver in a holster under his right arm along with a jacket over it. Under the jacket was a simple long sleeved under armor shirt that kept him cool. Colt was a large man, who ten years ago was a 17 year old prospect to play football. He was always a large person and could build muscle rather easily, so he obviously loved football. Once his family was taken from him by the virus he went his own way, a lone-wolf that traveled West from Alabama and then recently started traveling north from California. He figures that he would settle down in the arctic wasteland that is Alaska or somewhere heavily wooded like Oregon. Either way, he kept traveling, hoping to one day find peace and return to somewhat of a normal life.

When the world falls to Hell, you have one of two choices. You either buck up and survive, or you become prey. The infection that started in such a small town, spread quickly through the state. Millions passed away, dying to leave space for those strong enough to survive.

A small group of survivors drove through the woods, their armored vehicles easily pushing through the undergrowth. The three SUV's were completely black, with kangaroo bars in front, racks on top, and armor plates surrounding them. They were jacked up, leaving room for the huge tires that carried them.

An hour later, the three SUV's, all four-door jeep hard-tops, stopped, the five people inside needing to stretch their legs, and answer the call of nature. A couple hopped out of the first jeep, the tall bald man helping the blonde female jump out. From the third, came two guys, obviously twins, with the way the two were ribbing at each other. The woman in the second jeep rolled her eyes as she hopped out, closing the door behind herself. Her curvy body was covered in tight black jeans, two holsters holding large pistols at her thighs, a mid-drift shirt in light purple, and a black leather jacket. She pulled off her jacket and put it back into her jeep, a white streak flying up her arm, becoming a white ferret with a black tipped tail, two sets of red eyes on its face. It dug its claws into the large knife holster that sat on her back between her shoulder blades.

One of the twins looked at her and shuddered at the small ferret.
"Ya need ta get rid of tha thang! It's gunna turn on us soon Tara!"
"Shut it Trev. Yer jus jealous he gets ta see me naked!" The short woman said as she let her honey eyes run over their surroundings. She sniffed the air, and froze, the ferret quivering on her shoulders. The couple, James and Nicole, had already figured out that something was stalking them, but the twins were oblivious as usual. Tara hushed them as the air suddenly became stiff with tension.

Tara pulled out one of her guns, as James pushed Nicole back towards their jeep, the twins putting their back against each other. The five waited, silent for the attack.

They didn't have to wait long, as a pack of black rotting wolves jumped out at them. Nicole screamed, jumping into the jeep and closing the door just in time, as one of the wolves rushed the door. James sank a knife into the wolf's neck, twisting it, before shouting at the rest of them to get back into the jeeps. Trev and his brother Mark were only a few feet from the jeep, but Tara was surrounded, a wolf between herself and the jeep, and another two wolves pacing around her.

She moved slowly within the circle, her gun pointed at one, while her eyes kept drifting over the three. She took a shot, thankful that it hit perfectly, one of the wolves falling. However, that one shot caused the other two wolves to pounce, one knocking her down. She held the throat of the one that snarled and snapped on top of her, trying to get to the machete on her back.
"Damnit all!"

Colt was traveling down the road, keeping an ear out for anything in the surrounding forest but eventually just shut it out as he concentrated on where he would stop and make camp. The map he was holding said there was a town just a few miles to the east so he decides to cut through the thick trees. It's dangerous, yes, but he needed to get somewhere before the sun fell and brought out the real nasty creatures who hated the sunlight. Not so much as a vampire type creature, but ones that were just hyper sensitive to the heat of the sun. They would come out on cloudy days but never on a sunny day. Eventually Colt stops to put on a mask and hat since the buts were abundant in the forest. Once he has the mask on he lights a cigar, the smoke keeping the buts away for the most part before he begins walking again. Due to the hole he cut in the mask he was able to enjoy the cigar and keep the bugs away at the same time.

Upon coming up to the road he was traveling to he could hear car doors slam shut and a scream before that. Coming up to the clearing he can see a woman on the ground with a wolf, well half dead wolf with rotting flesh snapping at her as he circles and the other wolf going for her throat. Slowly, and quietly the man drops to one knee, taking his camping bag off and taking out a scope that attacked to his .357 long barrel. It was a quick connect before he takes aim, waiting for the woman to give one more push before he takes his shot. The bullet seems to move slowly as it flies through the air and eventually catches the wolf in the front of the neck and comes out of the back, severing the spin. With that wolf out of the way the other turns to look at Colt and makes a charge. Of course it was a last ditch effort for the wolf as he leaps into the air, just in time for Colt to stand and take out his machete. It was as if the wolf saw what was coming next as Colt swings the blade, and what passes him wasn't a whole wolf, but a body and a head that hits the ground behind Colt.

The large man soon holsters his gear and grabs his bag as he steps out of the last couple feet of bushes and looks towards the three Jeeps. Lighting up his cigar again he look towards the woman on the ground. "Looks as if you could use a bit of a wash." He points out since there was a bit of blood on her. "Need help up?" He asks as stands over her, offering his hand to the woman. Of course from this angle Colt must seem like a giant, standing at 6'5 he was large even when standing next to him, let alone laying down while he is standing over you.

Tara fought with the wolf, both hands against it as she tried to keep it from severing her throat. She pushed it as far as she could, before it went limp in her hands. Her eyes widened, and in the time it took her to get the corpse off her body, a giant man was standing over her.

She grinned up at him as the other wolves took off, searching for easier prey. She took his hand, and after being helped up, smirked up at him. "Well, didn't you show up at the perfect time?" Her voice was softly accented, but to her, like all native Coloradoans, she didn't have an accent.

"Thanks for the help. I would have been wolf meat had you not shown up. Trev isn't a good shot, and Mark was already inside their jeep... sorry for the spiel, adrenaline rush and all. I'm Tara, ya know the twins, bunch of bozos, and James and Nicole..." Tara could feel herself talk, but couldn't stop herself. It was always like this, after a near death experience, she just couldn't shut her mouth. And she was probably annoying the great behemoth who had come to rescue her.

Her own eyes trailed up and down his body, and she was immediately attracted. She had always been attracted to the big guys, and he was one Fine specimen.
She finally got her mouth under control, taking a deep breath and stepping away from him, leaning back against the jeep behind her.

James approached, introducing himself to the guy, and then asking his name, a slight frown on his face at Tara's outspokenness. She simply smirked and tilted her head at him. A whistle from her caused her furry little friend to appear from the wheel-well of the jeep and climb up her leg, wrapping itself around the empty holster, as she realized her gun was missing.

Colt looks at James and holds off introducing himself before he takes off his cap then yanks off his mask. "You can call me Colt, not really a need to share a last name since they're useless nowadays." Colt shares before putting his camp bag down. "There's a town up the road. I was crossing through the trees so I could get there faster. Lucky that I came across you guys." He explains while looking at the woman. "You might want to get that blood washed off you before it soaks through your skin, I don't think you'll turn into anything but it could make you very sick." Once he talks to Tara he turns back to James.

"I could use a ride to the town if you're heading that way. You all might need to lay low there too since the sun is about to go down. I don't think I need to tell all of you about the creatures that come out at night. It's probably best to find a shop or house there to fortify." Colt looks over under the SUV before walking over and grabbing a gun that was under it. "Is this yours?" He asks, handing it back to Tara before picking up his bag. "Shall we get moving? We have maybe two hours before the sun is down." Colt pulls back his jacket sleeve, looking at his watch. He nods at his assumption that the sun is going down soon before looking back at the two in front of him.

Tara nodded, taking the gun from him, and putting it back into it's holster, the ferret crawling up her arm to sit on her forearm. It sniffed her chest, and wrinkled it's nose.
"You can either hop in with me, or the twins... although it might be a bit cramped for you in the back seat." She said as she slipped around the back of her jeep and opened it, pulling out a jug of alcohol. She took a rag and washed herself, stripping off her shirt and throwing it away from her. She slipped into another shirt, mid-drift also, a one shouldered green shirt, and then closed the jeep. She slipped into her jeep, yawning as James told Colt to join Tara, and then got into his.

The passenger door opened, and Tara watched as Colt got in, before starting the car and following James. She looked out the back window, to make sure the twins were following her, before settling down in the jeep, relaxing. She knew she had about an hour before the adrenaline would drain, and she would be exhausted.

"So, what's your story Colt?" She asked, about fifteen minutes into the silent ride. She kept taking short glances out of the side of her eyes, watching him. Her ferret lay in her lap, staring him down, it's four eyes slitted as it watched him.

Colt sat in the passenger seat and fell silent before being asked about his story. He just shrugs since it was ten years ago when he had a story, now it's just a day to day survival campaign. "My story huh? Ten years ago I was a football prospect, I was going to play college ball then professional. As you know the world went to Hell and for the last ten years I have been traveling, trying to find the right place to settle down. I've been from fortified towns to tent cities and they have all either fallen to the mutants or I have been kicked out for challenging authority. It's no surprise that the people who so call build these towns are always full of themselves and often turn into a dictator." Colt just shrugs as he relaxes into the seat. '

"I have spent what was supposed to be my best years fighting for my life and getting blood on my hands almost everyday. Though I'm sure you have a story that is similar after the day the world went to Hell. But, I've survived this long so I must be doing something right." He adds before reaching into one of the pockets on his pants leg and pulls out a small pack of crackers. Taking one out he holds it out in front of the ferret, hopefully the gesture shows he is a friend and now an enemy.

Tara smiled at him, his story sounding a lot like hers. Her eyes widened as he offered a cracker to the ferret, and warned, "Careful. He's unpredictable at best. You might lose a hand."
Her warning caused the ferret to chitter angrily up at her, before taking the cracker politely from his hand. Tara simply smirked, before the ferret, deciding that what she had said was true, snapped at his hand, making sure to close his teeth over air close enough that Colt felt the wind it generated.

She chuckled, lightly swatting the ferret's head, saying, "Brat. Behave, or you won't get any meat tonight." The ferret curled in her lap, and began chewing on the cracker, glancing up at the two every so often.
"My story is about the same, although, I was born in Colorado. I was in track, and I was about to start college when the first reports of the infection started. Life went to hell after that... As you well know. My parents were killed, and I had no way of contracting my older brother, so who knows where he is, if he's survived at all. I found Nicole hiding out, and we got the twins a couple months later... then James found us, and the twins got us the jeeps. The rest is history. We've traveled around since then." She grew quiet as James' jeep slowed down, then came to a stop.

Back
Top Bottom