Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Friends For Life (t-mase & VioletRose)

t-mase

Super-Earth
Tom knew that he had a friend for life. The pair had been together and inseparable for over twelve years now though in recent times that had changed. Tom had gotten himself a girlfriend, a romantic interest for the first time in his life at the age of 21. This had driven a wedge between the pair, Tom spending less and less time with her and more and more time with Lacey who took his undivided attention. Did Tom regret the fact that he and his friend no longer spent much time together, so much so that they would only nod a little bit of affection toward one another if they passed each other in the street. Of course he did. However what could he do, Lacey was now the most important thing to him and with growing up he knew a relationship was what he wanted.

The sun beat through a gap in his blinds leaving the rays to beat down on his face making him stir from his slumber. Rolling over onto his back Tom rubbed his deep blue eyes giving them a moment to adjust to the morning before opening them completely and looking around his room. Another day dawns, he thought to himself as he allowed himself to stretch the covers shifting down his body his muscular torso on show. However what to do today? He allowed his mind to wander as to things he could do with Lacey being away from town with her parents for a couple of days.

His prime choice would have been to go and play some football with his friends and practice his throwing a little which had become some what weak in his absence from playing the game. Though he couldn't help but think of his friend and that he should make an effort even though she would know it was purely just because Lacey was not in town. Would she mind? He wasn't sure and as he picked up his phone he allowed himself to um and ah about the right thing to do. Tom typed out "How are you, it seems like an eternity since we last spoke." He looked at his phone for some time before pressing send and wondering what the response to his text would be.

Serenity had always loved being around Tom, it was like no matter what they were always together no matter what. That was until the last few months. Tom had gotten a girlfriend, and it seemed like she had been put on the back burner in his mind. There was never enough time for them to hand out, or get coffee or even talk on the phone for more than five minutes. Lacey had become his life, and Serenity was slowly getting used to the idea Tom was never there.

Having been up for a few hours already, doing her daily routine of running a few miles and getting cleaned up. The sun felt amazing as she stepped out of the shower. Her red hair hung down her shoulders and back dripping across the wood floors of her apartment. Standing with her towel wrapped around her she searched for clothes to wear today while she was out. Having no plans besides getting a drink with a fellow coworker later she was bored and tired of being in the house. Digging through her closet she decided on a jean skirt and a pink t-shirt she had recently bought.

Slipping into her skirt she heard her phone, and the ring tone. Part of Serenity was excited to hear from him, but the other part dreaded it. Knowing he was only texting her because Lacey must be busy. Reading it she smirked slightly. "Because it has silly. I am okay, just getting ready for the day. You?"

Hitting send she sighed and finished getting dressed. Serenity loved Tom like a brother, but shortly realized it might have been more when Lacey walked into the picture. Having to set her feelings aside, she herself found a guy. Eric. Eric and her were not serious, but it was serious enough that they were constantly talking and hanging out. Knowing that it would probably never go anywhere between them, Serenity kept a wall up to keep herself from regretting it.

Every ounce of his very being left him wanting Serenity to reply and say she was busy, just to make it easier for him in the long run to not have to even ask about doing something with her. However when the text came that she was just getting ready for the day he felt that he should make the effort. After all it had been his fault the pair were no longer talking and seeing one another as frequently. "Well I am free, I wondered if you wanted to do something?" He let out a sigh as he removed his tall frame from his bed and stepped into the shower.

He allowed the hot water to drip down his toned body. Washing all over his body as well as his hair before stepping out and drying himself down. He looked at himself in the mirror, not out of vanity but rather down to see if his frame was looking how he wanted it to. He was a runner in his spare time and would rather not gain any unnecessary weight.

Tom still could not explain why he had shut Serenity out like he had done, she had done nothing wrong and Lacey had neither said that she couldn't be a part of his life. He thought to himself that this would be the right way to go about things, to avoid contact with all women would make Lacey feel happier but now he was not sure that this was the right way for him to go about things. Tom dressed himself now back in his bedroom, a Superdry pink polo shirt and a pair of Jeans now adorned his body.

Serenity cringed slightly at the sound of the ringtone. There is was, the invite to spend time together. Opening the message she stared at it, deciding if it was worth the trouble or if she should pass him off on a lie. "Would love to, I am heading out for coffee, want to meet at the old spot?" she sent the message and slipped into a pair of black flip flops.

Brushing out her hair, her emerald green eyes focused on herself. A smile spread across her lips, this would be the first time in over two weeks that they actually saw each other. Not the normal passing by hello, or how are you. An actual conversation, for possibly more than a minute. Deciding to leave her hair down, she slipped a hair tie onto her wrist, grabbed her keys and headed out the door. Tom was her best friend, no matter what. No matter what ever happened, she knew he could always find her waiting to be his friend again.

Grabbing her car keys, she left. Sliding into her little focus, she headed to their favorite dinner. They always went there, for burgers and milkshakes through out school. Even coffee once they graduated. Recently she had visited there more and more trying to remember the good times.

Tom was not sure if he should go or not. In fact he did not reply to the offer of coffee to start with, he wished for it to be the way that the pair met again but right now he question if he had done the right thing. How would Lacey feel about it if she found out? He soon shrugged that idea to one side in his mind and got himself into his black pick up and drove to the car park closest to the little dinner that they had always shared their most favourite moments as best friends.

He arrived and took up a seat, their favourite seat in fact that was free. Perhaps it was fate or certainly so he wished it was. Tom believed in that, fate. It was a wondrous thing that worked its magic at times you least expected it to. He sat and twiddled his thumbs a little looking out the window people watching as he loved to do, this particular spot being one of the best in the dinner to do just that. He laughed to himself under his breath remembering the times they spent looking at people calling them all sorts of things that would surely have gotten them in trouble in their youth.

Tom also kept looking longingly to the door of the dinner. It was starting to feel like the good old days where he would expectantly wait for Serenity to arrive. Often he would be here a long time before her, usually just so he could enjoy a strawberry milkshake and not feel guilty for having two or three more when he was with her. This time though he sat and waited, waited for his best friend to arrive and for them to share this moment again together.

Serenity had not heard from Tom about meeting up for coffee, so she decided to stop at a little shop along the way that she had been meaning to stop at for awhile now. After going in and purchasing herself a new pair of sunglasses at a decent price she climbed back into her car and headed for the dinner. Thinking a milkshake would be way better than coffee today.

Climbing out of the car, she grabbed her purse from the passenger seat and headed inside the diner. Sliding her sunglasses on top of her head, she looked around. Quickly spotting Tom, she sighed. This is probably going to end badly... she thought to herself as she made her way over to their table.

"I did not think you were coming. You never texted me back." she said as she sat down across from him. Smiling at him, she had not realized how long it had actually been until now. His hair had grown out a bit. "You look good Tom."

"No, I ummmm..." He stammered as she sat down opposite him. "Well I don't know if this was the right thing to do, you know considering us both being in relationships", Tom told her honestly. He didn't really know what else to say and 9 times out of 10 he would tell the truth unless he had something to hide that he wanted nobody else to know. Though this was rare and this was not one of those occasions. "However I haven't seen you for ages and I can't continue to cut you out of my life."

He sent her a soft smile, the same soft smile that he had given her so many times previously. He cared for her, he still did like he had done from when they first met. They did everything together and looked out for one another in everything they did. Tom more so just because he hated to see Serenity hurt. Though it appeared recently he was the person doing the hurt which was far and away from what he really wanted to make her feel. He blushed slightly at her compliment, it had been a long time since he had heard her talk to him let alone offer him a self esteem boost that now and then he occasionally needed.

"You are looking as beautiful as always", he told her. He then ordered them their usual order from the times that they spent here together and took a drink of his milkshake, still tasting the same way that it always did. "Well how is everything then? The relationship you are in, is it good?" He asked her interested to find out.

Serenity wanted to cut him off when he stated they were both in a relationship, deciding to let him just continue she sat there. When their milkshakes came, she sipped hers. Smiling at the flavor and taste. "Surprised you still remember." she commented as she sat back in the booth.

"Everything is great, got promoted at work. Editor now." she grinned ear to ear. "And its not a relationship so to say. At least nothing like what you and Lacey have... we are just friends who have needs." she stated as she crossed her legs under the table. His compliment made her cheeks turn a light pink. "How is Lacey, I am sure she is so happy to hear you were coming here." Even though Serenity had a feeling Lacey had no idea, she had to get the facts before continuing this conversation. If Lacey knew, then so be it, but if she did not know? Well it was a hard decision to make, to leave or to stay. Serenity missed her best friend, more than anything.

"That is amazing, well done to you", Tom told her. He was genuinely delighted for Serenity that she was able to get a promotion in the line of work that she enjoyed so much. On the contrary Tom was not as lucky in his jobs where actually he struggled to hold them down. He didn't care though, if he never had to work again then he would for sure be a happy man. Though that would involve winning the lottery and the chance of winning that well nothing.

"Well Lacey doesn't know but she is out of town. I will tell her though I can promise you that." Tom told her, really longing that she would understand. He wasn't about to lie to his friend of so many years by telling her what he assumed she would want to hear. He gave her a short smile, one that was of I know, I shouldn't have just come here without her knowing though he hoped that she would understand his reasons. He knew it was wrong, he was effectively lying to his partner. Though she had no idea that he was here so it was okay wasn't it?

"Thanks." she replied with a smile, a boost of confidence ran through her hearing his congratulations. "I hope you found a decent place to work, last I knew you were bouncing from place to place." she arched a brow. Tom had a way of pissing management off, or just ignoring the fact he had to be at work at a certain time.

Serenity sighed, she knew it. He did not tell her, go figure. she thought to herself. "Well I hope so, I am not in the business of destroying relationships." she stated. Taking another sip from her milkshake she ignored the fact he had not told her yet. Serenity wanted to spend more time with Tom and if he had to do it behind her back so be it. I was here first. she thought to herself. "I am really glad you texted me Tom, its been to long...What ever happened to being one with the other?" she questioned.

Tom paused from slurping at his milkshake as she asked him the question he was dreading, What happened between them so they were not one with the other. The simple answer was that he had no clue, no idea what had happened. It was easy to blame him going into a relationship but that was not fair to do. It was not anything but his fault and partially Serenity also for not attempting to see him but that was only a partial blame.

"Well I suppose me being in a relationship happened", He started before taking another drink from his shake before continuing. "It isn't an excuse and it shouldn't have come between us but I guess....It made it easier." He told her. It was no secret that in their last few months of really being the best of friends they had grown closer, far to close for friends in truth. He often questioned if it was Serenity he should have been with rather than Lacey. Of course that seed in his mind had now disappeared though seeing her again had rekindled the flame that was out. The old idea of the pair being together which was actually his biggest fear.

"I was spending more time with Lacey and I guess the thought she wouldn't be happy with me seeing you put me off." Again he wanted to be honest, there was no point in lying about it or trying to cover the truth. He was ashamed of what he was saying and his face would be clear on showing that also.

Serenity hated the answer, but she knew it was the truth. Sighing she took a sip from her milk shake. "Well I guess seeing each other once in awhile is better than not at all." she smiled. Although she had to admit she would rather see him everyday again, it was always something she looked forward to after work and during her lunch hour.

"I am sure I probably could have made more of an effort, but as you said Lacey pushed me off.. I did not want to jeopardize what you two had and have." she shrugged. "Enough of this depression crap." she took a long sip from her shake.

"How long do you have of free time today?" she questioned. "I was thinking of heading out towards the beach." "Enjoy the sun, make take a swim." she arched a brow. "Or are you two busy to spend the day with me?" she teased. Knowing Lacey was not around he would probably jump at the idea.

Back
Top Bottom