Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Dragon Rider ( Kolath x loneiysong )

loneiysong

Pulsar
Someplace where depression always finds me.
Rose had never expected more of her life. She had found her own way in the world. She was not sure how, but it was lucky. The village was not small, but not large either. It hosted two inns. One of which she herself worked at. As a child, she did odd jobs and did mending to robes and other things she could do, but as she grew up, she found normal employ at the inn "Dragon's Breath". Rose was all alone in this world. No friends or family, not even a last name. Rose was not sure who she was or who she came from. She just remembered being alone as a child on the street. Someone must have cared for her at one point, nursed her as a child, held her close. Where were they?

Laying awake in bed at night, she would make up stories of where she came from, but nothing seemed to fit. But she would pretend and ease herself to sleep.

Tonight was the night of one of the villages festivals, and business at the inn was busy. She moved and eased between tables keeping Ales full and the people happy. Her red skirt trailing behind her. The men left her alone, because last man that tried to mess with her, she stabbed their cock and bled them out. Ever since then, no one messed with her. Her black hair was pulled up behind her head, her eyes looked around. One eye was blue and one was green. This was a sign in the village that she was a changeling. A fairy child. Everyone feared her, and left her alone.

Terribly alone.

Conrad roared as he stood over the large dead body of the deathstalker. His copper scales flashing in the sun as it was returning to the area now that the creature was dead. He panted softly as he looked around glad to sense no more darkners around the glade. Not wanting to stick around he crouched and then pushed off the ground with his massive wings lifting himself into the air. Finally now that he was done with that death stalker he could focus on the call that was pulling him toward the village that he had visited many years before.

The sun was bright in the sky allowing for easy flying as he slipped through the air. He had been feeling this need growing in him for the last year. The time had come to see if she was willing to join him. A dragon though a fearsome foe on his own was nothing without his rider, just having a rider even untrained tripled the power that the rider and dragon shared. Despite this very few dragons had riders, it took a very special person to be willing to be a dragon rider, and on top of that, they had to be willing.

He landed outside of town and used his magic to shift himself into a human male form. Brushing the dark brown hair back from his face he started into the town and toward the inn. Though in human years he was nearly one hundred years old as a dragon he was still in his prime, and so the male he changed into as a human was still young and strong looking. Though the eyes spoke of ageless knowledge. He walked into the inn moving over to take a seat by the fire his back to the wall. He motioned for the serving girl to come over to order a simple drink.

Watching the traveler come in, she finished serving the table she was at. She knew this man was a traveler, because she had never seen his face before. Wiping her hands on her apron, she stepped forward and smiled to the man.

"Greetings to the Dragons Breath Inn. Tonights speecial is mutton. Can I interest you in food and beverage? Maybe even one of our rooms?" She motioned to the ceiling as if to show where the rooms were. She felt a draw to this man, she felt like he was important to her somewhow. Biting her lip, she watched him.

He smiled nodding to the serving girl, he knew in an instant that she was the reason that he was here and he would either leave with her as his rider or never have a rider. He smiled at her softly before ordering "I will take the mutton please and a nice amber ale if any of the fall stock is left." He continued to watch her as he pulled out several gold coins more than enough for the meal, "And the best room you have reserved for me if you please." He looked into her eyes for a long moment, his own dark violet orbs shining brightly with some hidden meaning that she would not be able to know yet. "You have the most extraordinary eyes my dear, yours are only the third pair I have seen like that." He left it there unless she pressed the matter.

"Alright." She was about to turn and leave but stopped and then nodded as she took the gold coins and looked back into his eyes. Something oddly comforting and soothing deep within. She blushed a bit and then nodded. "Thank you." She whispered and turned and went to fill a tankard of ale. She got a plate of mutton and put a key in her pocket as she walked back and put the food down before him and placed the key.

"You are upstairs in room 3." She said and then turned and began to work refilling everything. His compliment soothed her where it usually riled and irked her. She was not sure why. She continued to fill his mug every so often.

He watched her as she moved through the room to get his food and room. There was a impossible to resist twinge of desire as he knew that if she was willing she would be his mate and he was not disappointed. He thought over what he knew of the bonding and against decided that he was sure that he was willing to go through with it. Many dragons had accepted human morals about mating but that was leading to there not being enough riders or dragons willing to take them. He sighed looking over her again just before she dropped off his food. Now he was more sure then ever no matter what humans or other dragons would think about it. "Thank you." He took the key from her and slowly ate his meal. The time he took was enough that he was finishing about the time that most the regulars would be heading home. Taking the chance he stood walking over to her when she looked like she had a moment. "Excuse me, if you would like to know more about your eyes and what they mean I would be more than willing to tell you." He smiled bowing slightly to her, "You know where I am staying the night." With that he turned to head for his room leaving her to think it over.

She nodded and then went about to her job. When the patrons began to leave, she began to clean up. Then he called her over, she walked forward she smiled and looked at him.

With a smile she looked at him and frowned. "I already know what it means. People in the village say I have the devil within me." She whispered. "I am bad luck." She said and knew he was trying to tease her. Biting her lip, she watched him leave and went outside after cleaning the bar and removing her apron. She looked up at the stars and frowned softly.

Her eyes happened up on the Draco constellation and felt immediately better. That she should go up to his room. She bit her lip and went to her small room that she was allowed out back and pulled on another dress. A simple one, but one that was more comfortable than the dress she worked in. Walking out, it was dark and well past the time everyone went to sleep. Moving to his door quietly, she knocked.

He had gone up to his room and using his magic cleaned the clothes that he had on so that he looked as good as was possible for her. He was waiting for her when she arrived at his door opening it for her shortly after the knock. "Come in my dear." He moved to one side to let her pass into his room. "I can only imagine you have questions that you are looking for answers too. Please have a seat and I will do what I can to answer them." Even though he planned to take her to his bed someday soon he made no outward sign of it keeping this all almost business like though warmer than that. The last thing he wanted her thinking was that he planned to get her to his room for a late night tryst or to pay for her services.

When he gave her a seat, she felt even more at ease. That this man wasn't like the rest of the travelers that blew through. With a smile, she leaned back and watched him carefully.

"Tell me what my eyes mean." She was curious about this and would know if he was pulling her leg or not by the answer. She watched him carefully.

He smirked as she was so straight forward about it and just nodded before sitting down across the table from her. He could see in her eyes that she was serious about wanting to know the truth so he was going to hold nothing back. "They mean you are special, you were born from a human mother, and..." he paused taking a deep breath, "And a dragon father. You are destined for great things should you chose to accept that destiny. You have the power to become a dragon rider and protect this world from evil if you are willing."

"A dragon father?" She raised an eyebrow and then looked out the window and secretly wished that she was destined for greatness instead of being just a simple bar wench. But like she learned a long time ago, if it sounded too good to be true chances were it was.

"Sir I don't believe you. I feel that you are just trying to lure me away so you can take what little money I have and leave me stranded." She said as she leaned back and folded her arms and watched him.

He looked at here before smiling. "Do you now?' he could only think how stubborn and like her mother she was. "So then young lady what would you want as a proof of what I said?" he waited a moment before standing up and moving over toward the door. "I think I have just the thing. Would you trust a dragon telling you this my dear?"

She smiled and looked at him. Standing up, she nodded. "Yes I think that will suffice."

Rose was not afraid of this man. She kept a dagger well hidden on her person and could lash out as quick as a mountain lion if she did not like what he was doing. She walked with him adn smiled.

Conrad led her down into the open area behind the inn and looked around. He was glad that she was so trusting and knew that she was still being careful even though she was going with him. He recognized the stance of someone ready for danger even though they were trying to look normal. He looked at her for a long moment before deciding that there was no other choice. Being sure that no one else was around he smiled, "Alright so you think I'm lying to you but would accept the same thing from a dragon? Well how is this for proof." He quickly released the magic holding him as a human and his large copper dragon form filled the yard. A few horses neighed noisily at the scent of him but they quickly quieted so he felt no need to change back. He looked at his daughter and waited, "Well?"

She looked up and her eyes grew round with wonder. She bit her lip and then nodded. "Alright...I believe you." She whispered softly. She then stepped forward having heard legends of dragons as awful creatures, but she didn't believe that they were awful, just because others believed the worst of her. She sat down and looked at him and rubbed her head and bit her lip.

"So you think I can become a dragon rider" She whispered and looked at him.

Conrad settled down laying on the ground moving his head to be on eye level with her. He shifted his wings using them to balance himself. "That's good my dear, and yes I do think so. Rather I know so, it is what you are destined to do if you are willing." He blinked slowly keeping his eyes on level with hers "There are many things about being a dragon rider that most people don't know and many girls do not wish to go through them."

He looked at her very seriously, his chest rumbling softly. He wasn't sure how to go and be so blunt about it. There was also some more information she needed. "Its rather sensitive and privet perhaps we should go back into the room and talk about it."

Her eyebrow furrowed. Rose debated then if she really wanted to know. But this was a full scale dragon. Yes she really did. So biting her lip, she looked at the bronze dragon and nodded her head once.

"Alright." She said softly and returned to his room with him. After he turned back into a human of course.

He shifted back into his human form and headed up toward the room letting her through the doors first. He was trying to figure out how to tell her the rest of what it was and knew it wasn't going to be easy. Many girls accepted the first part it was the second part that chased most away. Once back in the room he sat on the bed and looked over at her sighing. "There is no easy way to say this. If you wanted to become a dragon rider you could, but you would only be able to ride one dragon, because your affinity with dragons comes from him."

She frowned adn then looked at him and frowned. "From who?" She looked at him adn then around his room. She realized he didn't travel with any bags. Leaning back she looked at him adn then bit herl ip.

"Being a dragon, do you wish for a rider?" She asked and watched him.

He realized her left out the key detail and had to take a moment to backtrack in his mind. "I should say that the dragon you get your affinity from is the only one that you can ride. The only one that you are drawn too. Your father is the one that gave you this affinity with dragons and he would be the only one that you could ride. And to answer your other question, yes I do wish for a rider if mine is willing. Because you see not only is a dragon rider the daughter of the dragon she rides she is also his mate."

She leaned back. It had not sunken in yet that this man was saying he was her father. Her mind was a wild overgrown forest of questions. Rubbing her head she looked at him and raised an eyebrow.

"What if I try to ride another dragon?" She looked at him

"Well that's complicated. You see a dragon and his rider are almost more one being then two. The can communicate instantly without words, and act as one while still being separate. That bond can only be had by mating with a dragon, and well thanks to the magic of dragons and your conception you can accept your father as your mate, other dragons...well they just wouldn't fit." He could tell something wasn't clear in her mind yet but he would just work through her questions and see what she needed to clear up her decision and choose to be his mate or not.

"Wouldn't fit like how?" She leaned back and crossed her legs. She found herself being more and more drawn to the man that claimed she was his daughter. He was handsome and very rugged. Nodding at his answer she grinned wickedly.

"So if I agree then what's next? I won't have children with eleven toes and you wanting to mate with them will I?" She watched him.

Back
Top Bottom