Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Dragon's Heart (for VelvetBlossom)

VincentSenri

Planetoid
I walked along the dirt path trying to act invisible. I didn't want to attract any attention. I wasn't human and if any human looked close enough at my eyes, they would know that. I'm a dragon, a sea dragon, but I took on human form to blend in with the humans. Dragons now a days are hunted and prized as pet or killed for meat and claws and wings. It's hard not to be jumpy around humans.

*Blend. Just blend.*

I took a deep breath and walked over to a food stall. I had some coins I had worked for a couple days ago. I smelled the little cakes and treats and smiled at the little woman behind the stall.

"I'd like this one please."

She grinned and took the coin from me as I picked up a fruit filled cake.

"Come back any time, Sweety."

I smiled and nodded, taking a bite out my treat. It was strawberries. I can this about the humans, they made good food.

What a beautiful, peaceful morning... this could have been. But instead of that, Damien cursed at his alarm clock and hit his palm on top of it to turn it off. Just five more minutes of slumber wouldn't hurt anyone, right? And so the 24-year old turned around in his bed to sleep five more minutes, and ten more, five-teen, and soon it had been two hours when the phone rang. Slowly he got out of his bed, washed himself in the bath and got dressed. If it was important enough they'd call again. Rubbing the sleep out of his eyes the young man stared at his watch. Just five or ten more minutes of sleep, as he had planned had passed.

"Nononono no!" Damien shouted in disbelieve at his watch as he ran down the stairs of his appartment. How could he be this late again? Well he could still make it if he hurried enough. The man ran down the stairs, out of his appartment and around the corner at the end of the street. Just two more streets and if I take a shortcut I'll be there just in ti-- his thoughts were quickly interupted as he felt the cold pavement beneath him. He rubbed his back a little as he looked up to see who or what he had ran into...

I had just licked the last of the strawberry off my fingers when I got ran over by a human. Who seemed to be in a really big hurry. He bounced off of me and hit the ground.
*OH CRAP!*

"I'm so sorry. Here, let me help you up."

As I touched his hand to pull him up, I felt the wound in his back. I discreetly moved the muscles and slid the nerves back into place. He probably wouldn't even know what happened. Pulling him to his feet, I made sure to keep my head bowed so he wouldn't look to close at my face.

"Sorry. Thanks." Damien panted briefly as he stood up. He was too much in a hurry to really pay attention to the fact that the pain in his back had disappeared as he ran off again. Nor did he notice his wallet had fallen out of his pocket. Well it wasn't like he was a very wealthy guy to begin with so even if someone would steal it there hadn't been that much inside of interest for any thief. Still Damien always left a brief letter inside.

If anyone finds this wallet somewhere and you aren't a complete dick, please return to Jason Damien Taylor between 5-10pm Below his email, adress and phone numbers were listed. Maybe he was just one of the silly human beings that actually believed that not everyone is evil and selfish to the core, but he was used to be laughed at for other things already.

I was stumped. He didn't even stay long enough to see if I was ok. I shrugged and took a step only to step on something. A wallet. His wallet. I opened it and found a most strange note. I chuckled and headed for the address listed. I was not a 'complete dick'. Funny human.

I came to the address and nocked. No answer. I knocked again. No answer. I didn't have a phone or a computer. So it looked like I would just have to wait for him to come home. It wasn't like I had anything else to do. So I sat down on the ground near the door, leaning back against the wall.

It was a bit later that I realized the clouds were getting darker and my nose told me it was going to rain soon. Great. Now I was get wet. I didn't mind the rain. I loved it actually. I was Sea Dragon after all. But sitting at unknown place in a rain storm with no idea when this guy would come back didn't sit well with me. Or my stomach. I was hungry.

After getting shout at pretty extendedly for being late... again... and a long day of work Damien sighed as he exited the building. It's been only like the second time this month he was late! Despite the fact that it was only the 10th, that is. But getting out of bed was so hard. He wondered how other's did it without being completely useless for at least half the day. On his way home he happened to walk past the little store he ran into the other man earlier today. Damien was sorry for not asking him if he was okay, but he was in a bit of a haste back then.

He only became aware of the fact that his wallet was missing after he entered and wanted to buy something for himself. It was rather pure luck that he knew the clerk was his neighbor so he could pay it another day. Apologizing he left and made his way back to his apparment where he was quite surprised to see a familiar, well, face would be the wrong word. He nearly hadn't seen it at all. Rather familiar body? "Um... can I help you? Sorry because of earlier. I hope you're alright."

I was startled out of my thoughts. At least he was home before it rained.

"I'm ok. You were the one that ended up on the ground. You dropped this by the way."

I kept my head down as I got up and handed him his wallet. I sniffed and looked up abruptly to the sky. The first drop hit my nose. Great. I get to walk home in the rain. Not that it was much of a home. A cave in the mountain wasn't what people would call a home. But it was perfect for me. At night, I could be myself.

"I'm sorry. I must go."

I dropped my head and started to walk away. It was really starting to rain now.

"Thanks. I already missed it" he smiled at him as he took his wallet and put it back in his pocket. Judgeing from the lowered head he was a shy person. Usually they were the friendliest people to meet and the fact that he had his wallet back from him just was another hint for that.

As the first raindrop fell on Damien he opened the door and saw the strange walk away. "Hey, um... why don't you stay? Can't let ya go home in the rain, can I? It's the least I could do. You can spend the night here if you want as well. My couche's not that uncomfy" he joked. Damien slept on it a few times as he fell asleep watching TV often enough to know that pretty well. "If you want you can get something to eat to. Was gonna cook dinner now anyway..."

I stopped when poke. Stay the night? That would mean I wouldn't be able to change. Food sounded good though. Auh, what the heck. One night won't hurt.

"I...umm...Thank you. I would like that."

I clasp my hands in front of me and walked back to him.

"My name is Safire Ocean-Song."

"Safire?" Damien repeated and rose a brow. Last time he heard a name like this was in a strip club, if he was honest. Ocean-Song too was a rather unique second name. Maybe he just didn't wanted to tell him his actual name for some reason? Well they had been strangers, hadn't they. No need to trust one another but then again he brought back his wallet so Damien supposed he could trust him at least a little.

"I'm not sure if I have to introduce myself" he chuckled lightly and tapped on his pocket. "I'm Damien. Well, Jason actually but I always liked the other name more for some reason so... whatever you prefer" he told his guest and stepped in, leaving the door behind him open for 'Safire' and led him into the living room. It was a little bit messy with clothes lying on the floor but overall a rather comfy small home. From the window he also could see the street and store they had run into earlier today. In the kitchen Damien prepared some fish 'n chips. One could never go wrong with that, he thought. "If you want something to drink just say something" he offered.

What really was sticking out however was his love for fantasy creatures, especially dragons. Newspaper cut outs of 'sightings' though he never actually believed any of them and thought they were just from people seeking attention, reports how they might have lived, books, artwork prints, a few small (and obviously cheap...) statue of the mighty flying reptiles.

I smiled, chuckled at the eyebrow thing and entered his home. I knew my name was strange. The thunder and rain got really bad then. I looked around as he went about preparing food. Fish...yummy! I loved fish. I noticed all the dragon stuff and wondered about it. Was he a hunter? He didn't seem like a hunter. I sat down on the couch and talked to him quietly.

"I know my name is odd. But that's what mother called me. I see you like dragons. Are you a hunter?"

I saw the papers, pictures and stories. I swallowed hard when I recognized one of the newspaper pictures. It was blurry, but there was no mistaking it. It was me! How had someone got a picture of me? I was so careful when I shifted. I got a bit nervous now. What if HE was the one that took that picture? That meant that he had stocked me in dragon form. I might have to leave my cave.

"Hunter? Me?" Damien couldn't resist but to chuckle at the question. "No. I just love and adore them. It's not like I'd actually believe they exist. It's all people who seek some attention, I think. Maybe they existed one day, I wouldn't doubt that, but nowadays I don't think so. I know it's something strange, but I'm not that crazy. I actually would love to meet one. Even if it'd be the last thing I'd do before getting eaten up" he laughed as he tried the food. Almost done.

Damien prepared two plates and put after a little more waiting placed some on each plate and carried it towards the table, then sat next to him. "You don't mind me sitting here, do you? I always feel weird sitting across someone. Old habbit" he shrugged and brought two forks and knifes to the table.

I sighed in relief. A little taken aback by the whole not existing thing. But at least he wasn't a hunter. As he sat next to me, I took my plate and smiled.

"I don't mind. So, what would you do if you met a dragon?"

It intrigued me. He thought dragons ate humans. Yuck! To skinny or fatty. No good meat. But I wasn't going to tell him that. I took a bite of fish and had to sigh in happiness.

"This so good."

I took another bite and thought how long it has been since I've had a good meal. The thought made me appreciate this moment all the more.

Damien tilted his head. Sapire didn't really seemed like the kind of guy who'd laugh at him nor did the question sound like he wanted to be mocking him. Taking a kind of deep breath he began: "Oh there's quite a lot of things I'd be curious about dragons. Are they as wild and fierce as they're described? Maybe they're peaceful? Perhaps even more intelligent then other animals. Why do they always collect tons of gold in their cave? Whats the purpose of that? Do they really do it in the first place? How big or small might they be?" He could've go on and on and on about his fascination but forced himself to a break for two reasons: First, he had to eat before it got cold and second, he didn't wanted to seem even stranger to his guest.

He also couldn't really get around noticing how he ate his food. He must've been hungry. Adding it to the fact that he probably patiently waited at his door step made Damien wondered if the guy was homeless. But then again, as such, why wouldn't he had taken the wallet and left? He was curious but didn't wanted to be too direct. "So, um, where do you live?" was hopefully not too rude.

I tilted my head to listen more as he began listing things. I chuckled when he stooped. I could pretend to be a study of dragons and let him know a few things.

"Some are nasty. Most just want to live in peace. Yes they are smart. Humanly so. Gold is like air, the more they have the better. And they range in sizes and shapes."

I licked my fingers of the last of the flavors and that of how to answer his last question. Then I shrugged.

"I live on the other side of the mountain on the sea side of the cliffs. It's a family inherited place."

Wasn't going to tell him I've been living there for 500 years.

Who would've thought that? Another one crazy enough to to like his favorite fantasy creatures. Very interesting. "Never heard the theory of their gold being like air. Doesn't makes much sense to me either actually. And I'm not sure if they're as smart as us. Why wouldn't they show up and hide in caves? But then it's not like they could live peacefully along side us, right? Dragons would probably end in some research lab or somewhere to entertain people instead of being equal. They would be animals after all" Damien sighed. It was a shame humans had to be this way.

"If you're from the other side of that moutain, what brings you here then if you dont mind me asking?" there was another city there, but the mountain wasn't exactly a small one and the other city wasn't the closest either. Maybe it was just a small house on the mountain itself? Living there, alone with only the family, must've been quite lonely.

"It's like air for humans. I should have explained better. It means that they covet gold as if they couldn't live without it. Like air. And I think they stay hidden for just such reasons. After all, think of all the stories. Nights killing them. Traders capturing them for pets. Black Market goers hunting them for the horns, claws, skins, teeth and other such things."

I gave him a smile and shrugged again.

"I like this city better. It's closer. And I like coming to be among people. Living alone tends to get lonely. My Father gave me the place when he left. Didn't want it to go to anyone except family."

"Oh... I'm sorry. I didn't knew you lived alone. When you said it was a family inherited place I actually thought you would live there with your family. Must suck to be alone" Damien sighed. His situation wasn't much better. Ever since word spread he was more into guys then girls his family almost immedietely kicked him out of their home. At least his friend, well most of them, stayed on his side. Still it wasn't exactly nice to live alone for most of the time. "let's say I dont have the very best connections to my family myself" he chuckled lightly and finished dinner himself.

Damien took the two plates and stood up to bring them back to the kitchen. "Hope ya liked it" he smiled while cleaning them. "Heh, maybe you'll invite me to your place at some point. Lonely or not the view must be amazing!"

I swallowed. Him...at my place?

"Maybe. But I doubt you'll like it. Is pretty plain and right in the cliff. But you're right about the view. I've never seen a more beautiful sight."

That's why I haven't left. Lonely or not, I couldn't leave it. I wasn't going to tell him about the gold chamber and crystal room. The entrance might be small, but my home goes into the mountain quite a ways. Only the main chamber right off the cliff was plain. I looked out the window and saw the lightning. I flinched and then jumped when thunder hit loud enough to rattle the windows. I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. I would normally spend my time in my gold room in my dragon form during a storm. My dragon form and my gold was a comfort to me. And I couldn't have either right now.

I had to blink and shake my head to stop myself from changing. My skin had changed color and my eyes slit but I stopped before it got any further and hopped he hadn't seen me do that. He had his back turned to me in the kitchen. So I didn't think he could see me. As long as he hadn't looked up at the window I just realized he was standing in front of by the sink.

"Right in the cliff?" Damien repeated, a little confused. It sounded kind of strange to him. But then again he said it was family inherited house, right? So maybe they built it themselves, which still made it odd why it'd be right in the cliffs - literally speaking or not - but less unlikely. He just put the thought aside with the reason it would be some kind of artistic stylized house. Since he didn't knew them it could b after all.

He hadn't noticed the change of Sappire's skin tone either. Or at least he hadn't actually noticed it. Damien had looked over to him as the thunder's sound made himself flinch a little in surprise, but he rather thought i'd be just the light or anything and his attention returned to the dishes. "So, did you decide if you want to stay for the night? I really don't mind to have a guest around. Also you seem like a nice guy, if I may say so."

I nodded to his question. Now that I was under control again and would be able to keep myself such. I would stay.

"I would be glad to stay. After all, walking in this would be just silly."

I was sure I could last the night.

"You are nice as well. You have a good heart. I can tell."

Thunder clapped loudly and I closed my eyes tightly, breathing and stopping my change. I hoped this storm would go away soon. I opened my eyes and smiled when I saw I noticed a picture.

"Is this you? Nice costume."

It looked to be a young Damien dressed for Halloween. It was cute.

"It's not nice or cute! I was a fearsome, terrifying drevil!" Damien protested laughing. That is, because it was a more or less self-made costume. While it was supposed to be a red dragon with horns a lot of people back then mistook it as a strange devil's costume since the fork was 'missing'. "I probably always had been a little crazy for dragons. Well, at least it something that has been with me ever since, right?" he remarked and went into his bedroom to grab a blanket and pillow out of his wardrobe.

"I hope these will be enough. If it's too cold or you need anything just feel free to say so. I won't bite" Damien winked and stretched himself. A little yawn escaped him, too. It's been a long day. He sat down next to his guest and turned on the TV, but nothing really interesting seemed to be there right now... as always. He sighed. "So, um, do you have a girlfriend or anything? If you dont mind the question, of course."

I laughed, a purring sound that was soft and light.

"Is so cute. I can see the devil part. But the red is all wrong for a dragon."

I chuckled again as he sat down. Bite? No, I think that was my job. I wouldn't tell him that either. There was a lot I wouldn't tell him. But this question game was fun. Even if he didn't realize it was turning into a Q&A game.

"These will be fine."

I laid my hand on the blanket. Then shook my head at his question.

"No. I have no one. Female or Male. I don't do so well with the whole 'dating' thing. There's always something about me that sets people on edge."

I shrugged.

"How about you? Anyone special in your life?"

"You think?" Damien looked at the picture of his former costume. "How can it be wrong? There's all sorts of reds for dragons. It's not like any of us actually knows what color they really had. We can only assume, can't we?" he sighed as he stood up and stretched himself in a long yawn, then headed towards his bedroom.

"If you should need something feel free to take around my kitchen. It's not much, but what's mine shall be my guest's too. Has always been my way. And to be honest, I don't see why you'd 'set people on the edge' as you say. You seem like a nice guy to me and you're honest, which would be two things you got for yourself" Damien smiled as he disappeared in his bedroom and laid down on his bed. His clothes were just dropped on the floor on his way from the door to there. It's been a long day and he had been tired, so it didn't took very long for him to fall asleep after the lights went off.

Back
Top Bottom