Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Overneath the Path of Misinterpretation (Alvis Alendran&Malicious Lullaby)

The bell rang, signaling the end of class. The students all stood and Esther turned sharply when she heard the scuffle of desks. She narrowed her eyes down on them playfully and they all halted their movements. “What’s the rule?” She asked her senior class. They groaned and sat their rumps back in their plastic chairs before reciting in unison. What could she say? She ran a tough ship.
“The bell does not dismiss us. Miss Martin does.” She smiled proudly and put her hand over her chest. “And you may be dismissed.”

She saw several eye rolls and if anything, it made her grin with much glee and also amusement, as if taking pleasure in their annoyance. No, she loved her senior class but they were seniors on their way out of high school and she made it her duty to let them know that just because they would be graduating, did not mean this year actually meant to slack. No, if anything, she pushed them harder so they realized how important their last year. It could make or break them. She was a teacher that cared. What could she say?

Turning, she grabbed the eraser and started erasing the white board and making sure all was clear for the next day. She wasn’t yet to leave. She had papers to grade, grade books for both grades she taught to update and the next day to plan aside from the required curriculum. She had her lesson plans set a week in advance, but she always tweaked it depending on each class and their progress. Each class was different, with a different set of students and a different set of learning and intellect. She adjusted her plans accordingly. Just as she sat down, her hazel eyes looked up and she saw one of her students lingering. His name was Donnie Reeves and he was one of the slackers she seemed to have pushed hard enough that he brought his F up to a C. She was very proud. “Hey Donnie.”
“Hey Miss Martin.” He stepped towards her and she stood up slowly.
“Is everything okay?” She taught two grades. She taught three freshman English classes and two American Literature classes, for her seniors. The rest of the periods was divided up into one period being her lunch period and she had two prep periods. Lucky, lucky.

“Yeah, I was just…” He paused, his eyes assessing over her. She wore an off white blouse with a bit of beige tint to it, made of satin and black skinny jeans with black ankle boots. Her long dark brown hair was tied into a modest ponytail, her bangs free from the restraint so she still looked her age yet she held a modicum of professionalism as a teacher. A year and a half ago, she graduated at twenty-one from college with a degree in education, a licensure in teaching and qualifications in English and Math. She was kind of the shit and the school, while they wouldn’t admit it but she knew it enough, was lucky to have her. She was given the classes with the students who weren’t exactly up to speed yet she made immense and incredibly progress with them all. She was working fast to get off her two year probation. She was a determined teacher. It’s what she was most passionate about. Still though, the way Donnie looked at her, even she couldn’t ignore. She saw this boy in the halls often, watched how he tended to be more all over girls he could never have rather than his homework. While he did make tremendous progress, this…unnerved her a bit, how he perused her.
“Yes?” She asked.
Donnie stepped towards her and Esther stepped back instinctively, especially when she saw his hands lift. Her own lifted up in her refusal and she shook her head. “What are you doing?”
“Come on Miss Martin. I’ve seen you watching me. I’ve seen how you looked at me. You want me too, as much as I want you.”
“Donnie, you have seriously misinterpreted my care and worry over you and the rest of my students for something else. This is highly inappropriate.” That was an understatement.
His face screwed in a sort of displeasure before he backed off. “I’m sorry Miss Martin.”
She sighed a soft sigh. “It’s okay Donnie. Just go home and don’t forget to do your reading due Monday, okay?”

He simply nodded, muted and then turned to leave. Esther ran her hand through her hair and she went back to her desk, doing her work.
About an hour later, the school principal came to her open class door. He knocked on it and she looked up and smiled. “Hi Mr. Stinson.”
“Hello Esther.” Her face dropped the way he said her name.
“Um, care to sit?” She asked, standing, motioning to a desk.
“No, but I think you need to.”
“Why?” She wouldn’t sit.
“A student of yours, Donnie Reeves, stopped by my office. He claimed that you made inappropriate advances towards him, touched him and made several innuendos in private. Asked him to stay after class often…” he trailed off and her eyes widened in horror and her jaw dropped.
“M-Mr. Stinson, that is a load bullsh—that is so untrue!” She was outraged.
“I’m sorry Esther, until we can further investigate this, we’re going to have to immediately suspend you until we find if the allegations are true or not.”

Her eyes watered and she took a moment before she picked up her jaw and composed herself. “Do I need to go now?”
”Yes, take what is yours. You can hand over the grade books to me for all your classes. I will make sure the appropriate substitute understands and can carry on until we sort this out.”

“Is there any legal action I should take?” She asked.
He sighed softly. “I don’t know. This is actually quite serious and I can’t just let it go. Even if I do believe you more than Mr. Reeves, I have to take appropriate measures. He is a student and you are still on probation.”

She wanted to cry, this wasn’t fair. She just nodded her head and turned, gathering her things, handing over the drive in which she stored her grade books and looked at him. “Bye Mr. Stinson.”
“Bye, for now, Esther.” He patted her shoulder and with a defeated sigh, she left the premises. On her way out, she saw Donnie and he just smirked smugly. No witnesses around. She ran her hand over her hair and shook her head, going home.

When she did get home, Mallory, her college roommate, best friend and current roommate beamed seeing her but her face immediately dropped seeing her friend in the dumps. “What happened?”
Esther threw her bag on the couch and slumped down, covering her face. She started crying. Mallory came to her in an instant and wrapped her arms around her. Through her sobs, Esther told her everything and as Mallory stroked her hair to calm her friend down, the light bulb went off. She got her degree in music. How well that panned out for her considering she was a secretary to one of the partners at the law firm she worked at. But that’s why it worked out kind of because the idea came to mind.
”Esther, I can talk to my boss.”
She hiccupped softly and wiped her eyes, smudging her eyeliner in the process. Mallory cleaned up the rough edges she smeared and smiled.
“I can’t ask you to do that.”
”You didn’t have to. Your sobs said it all.”
“Mr. Stinson said I probably don’t even need a lawyer.”
“What if you do?”
“He’s not going to take it and from what you’ve told me about your boss, Mal, I highly doubt he would take this case. Besides, I couldn’t afford it.”
“There’s such a thing as pro bono!” She chirped. Esther grumbled and shook her head.
“No, I will take care of this on my own.”
“Did you minor in law?”
Esther worried her bottom lip. “N-No, but I didn’t hit on him, he hit on me!”
“Let me make the call.” She stroked her hair. “Do you want some wine?”
The best way to distract a distraught Esther was to give her wine. “Yes.” She muttered sulkily.

Nodding, Mallory stood and she went into the kitchen. She looked back and then produced her cell phone from her pocket, before dialing the number, all the while she took a chilled bottle of Chardonnay from the fridge and opened it. At least that way it’d seem like she wasn’t going behind her friend’s back and calling her boss. And technically, Esther never said no to the final time Mallory said she'd call her boss.

The phone on his desk rang. harrison Trenton spared a glance at it, sighing. He hated working after his secretary left. That was why he paid her to be here! To handle this kind of crap! He calmed himself. There was no sense complaining, and she did good work when she was there. And there was no sense paying her to sit around and do nothing while he looked into the last stages of closing off his case. It had ended well enough, he just needed to finish the paperwork. With that thought, he lifted the phone.

Harriosn Trenton was a man that needed little introduction to most people in the city. He'd made himself a reputation for taking on any case, no matter how long the odds, and what was mroe surprising, was that he won them. With a near perfect streak, and no case failed in the last decade, he was a powerhouse for any firm to boast. The age old firm he worked for had been easy to land, he'd started there right out of law school, and his rise to partner had been nothing short of meteoric. That fact that the owning partner, Caughlin Lloyd, was his best friend hadn't actually mattered, not with his success rate, and the money he brought to the firm. Lloyd had been careful to keep Harrison sated adn happy, knowing that the man could branch off, adn start his own firm easily, and might one day eclipse his own, but then by making him a senior partner, harrison had suddenly become more wealthy in a few years than he'd ever dreamed of. Penthouse apartment, estate outside the city, three cars, and a serving staff to make the Queen drool with envy.

He was not a mna who typically concerned himself with much at all, money able to buy his way out of most minor trouble, and his reputation enough to handle what money didn't. But he stil kept himself safely inside of the law. After all, eventually, everyone fell prey to something outside of the law sooner or later. And as a lawyer, he was usually the one picking up the pieces.
"This is Trenton." He said calmly into the phone.

While Esther was still brooding and trying not to cry from the fact of her possible failed career, Mallory stole a glance back from the kitchen to see the top of her roommate’s head still where she last left it to be. Sitting on the couch with the occasional hand running through her hair, exasperatedly. If she kept that up, she’d have no hair left. Mallory smiled a little bit, but was also determined to help her friend get back on track. She wouldn’t let her career die. So the moment she heard the very melt-worthy voice of her boss, Mallory went back to her original task in which she paused in; opening the bottle of wine for Esther and herself and to try and get her friend a lawyer. If not her boss, then someone from the firm.

“Hi, Mr. Trenton. It’s Mallory Joyner. Your secretary?” Seemed the appropriate thing to say to a man who may or may not notice he did have a secretary. Sometimes she got the vague impression that he didn’t exactly know or notice her. Not that she was seeking his attention. He was very handsome, but no. She was just Mallory. As odd and weird as she might be, she thought she was a bit invisible, even when she clearly wasn’t. They were two really great friends. Both a little awkward in their own way, both a little insecure, except when it came to teaching, Esther exuded far more confidence than Mallory could as a prominent lawyer’s assistant. Prominent being a key word. Any secretary might feel less than worthy.

“Um…I know you’re super busy. So maybe you can pass this onto another lawyer, but I have a friend who might be in need of some legal services, if not anything else, but legal advice.”

Harrison felt a minor surge of irritation. As if he didn't know who he worked for. He did feel the need to make a point after what Mallory had said.
"I know who you are Miss Joyner. I know the name of everyone who works on this floor, from the file runners, all the way up to you. So do not assume I will need to be reminded." He said with a slight edge to his voice. Frankly, she was fortunate that she was good at her job. A less competant secretary might have been dismissed for irritating him. It had happened before. Point of fact, it had happened just before Mallory was hired. It was why she'd been given the opportunity. She was past that phase of her employment by now.

"What has your friend done? Federal? State? Misdemeanor? Ad why call me directly? The office does have a system set up for exactly this sort of thing. Or were you planning on using your access to me to secure a better deal for your friend?" Harrison leaned back in his chair. This was a negotiation that he was used to. Mallory did not have a strong bargaining position, but she was a good employee, and it wouldn't hurt to engender a little good will. What was more, in this point, he could use a secretary that was a little...indebted to him. He'd never ask for anything illegal, that would just be wrong, but he could use one who was able to be appropriately discreet, and willing to go the extra mile sometimes.

She nearly dropped the bottle of wine when his irritated tone filled her ears. It actually made her terrified of him and the fact he chastised her for this, she was both mortified and embarrassed. But perhaps mortification and embarrassment were relatively similar. An uncomfortable chill crept up her spine and when he made his point, it went away but she was left with that feeling of…incompetence. “Right, of course Mr. Trenton, I apologize.”

Having now opened the wine bottle, she placed it down and opened the far right cupboard near the fridge and produced two nice wine glasses. They were Esther’s but in this household, they both lived by ‘What’s mine is yours.’ Although, if she ever were to break one of these, she’d replace it in a heartbeat.
She started to pour the wine when his voice rang in her ears again. Why did she feel like she was the errant child who was being scolded by this man? She had half a mind to tell him off for being such a really mean lawyer but she wanted to do this for Esther. She knew how much teaching meant to her. If she could do something, anything to help, she’d go for it. Though hopefully this didn’t cost her job either.

“U-Um—“ She started but her eyes closed. Goodness, this man asked so many questions. She took in a deep breath and exhaled slowly. Onto question one. “She’s been suspended until they can look into the case of whether or not she actually came onto one of her students. She said she didn’t. But the student says otherwise. Oh, sorry, she’s a high school teacher.” She was close to stuttering. This was so scary. She hardly spoke much to her boss unless he needed her to do something or whatever.

Onto question two. “Um, I-I figured I could? I know, the office has procedures to follow but she was just really upset Mr. Trenton and I thought if I could do anything to make her feel a little bit better. Granted, she didn’t want me making this call but all throughout school she talked how she wanted nothing more than to be a teacher. I can’t just sit back and let her dreams be ripped from her, can I?” She asked. There, a little more power and edge to her tone. “So, is there anything you can do?” Or well, want to do, because she might have just sort of yelled at her boss and now she was sure all of Esther’s chances went down in the dumps. Fuck me, Mallory thought.

Harrison ran the numbers based on what she'd told him. It was fairly run of the mill actually. Probationary teachers were disposable assets, usually tossed aside to avoid any potential scandal. And if the student wasn't extremely stupid, there would be enough doubt about the teacher to give him a chance. It was not the most impressive case that he could think of. But at the saem time, it was not an inconsiderable one either. And a young person chasing a dream...well, he could understand that. He'd caught his own dream, the office was proof of that. And he could let it slide, but he felt the urge to do something. He could have the papers from the last case filed in a few mroe hours, adn that would leave him free to select another case. And a pro bono one would make decent waves for his record. most of the lawyers at the firm made an effort to have at least one case like that each year, to keep themselves sharp with things, and not just focused on money. Lloyd's idea. It had been resisted, but Harrison saw the wisdom in it.

"So, a probationary teacher. I assume that means she's in too dire straits financially to afford the kind of lawyer that our firm provides, adn could clear up her case quickly enough to be useful, and not turn it into a media circus. Tell me, am I on the right track?" Harrison replied, his voice not heating, but gaining a brittle, sharp edge to it that made it seem much mroe dangerous, as though he was on the edge of doing something...final. "You thought to bypass company procedure, and not even having the sense to do it in person, but to do it over the phone, when you know I'm up to my ears in paperwork, all to try and procure your friend legal help that you know is likely outside of her financial realm, so you must have been hoping that someone will help out of the goodness of their hearts. In fact, you might have had the temerity to think that I might be willing. And do believe me Miss Joyner, we will be speaking on the proper tone one uses when addressing their employer, especially from a position where they are being asked of." Harrison let his words sink in. A statement like that had ended a few careers.

"Nonetheless. Your instincts were not entirely off base. You and the client will both meet with a representative from the firm at Cafe Noir, over on 5th avenue. Tell them you're there for a buisnessmeeting with teh firm. Show them your company ID badge, adn they'll give you a table. Order whatever the two of you want, it's on the company account." He explained to her. He paused, and in a lower, more serious tone, added. "I do this for you, set this ball into motion...you will owe me. You understand this, don't you?"

“W-Well y-yeah, but—“ She started, the way his tone took that certain edge certainly fearing for her job. She had every ounce of strength to just hang up this call and the next time she went into work, chalk it up to a random bout of drunken stupor in which she did not slur one bit. Esther wouldn’t have to know she made the call because she didn’t even want Mallory to do this but she was too afraid to just let the call go now. Because if she did, it might make the situation worse and he just might call back all to tell her to pack up her desk come Monday morning, because she’d be fired.

Swallowing hard, she put the bottle down and took her glass of wine. She needed it now more than Esther. She took a big gulp for strength and sighed softly. Instead, she simply nodded her head, as if he might be able to see her before finally speaking, “Y-Yes, Mr. Trenton. I apologize.” Yes for the expectation that he himself would take up the case and her apology for that and the tone she used. Thank goodness for this wine otherwise she’d crumble and start bawling on the phone right now, further embarrassing herself right now. It’s like it was so early in the morning, like one or two and she woke him up for this silly request. It wasn’t even six!

Sighing deeply, she closed her eyes and leaned her hips against the counter, gingerly sipping her wine. “Yes, of course Mr. Trenton. Anything I can do to repay you for this. I really appreciate it and so with my friend. Thank you. Thank you.” She paused a moment, not wanting yet to bid goodbye. She just…had to make sure. He said to use her company ID badge so that should have been an obvious indicator but her nerves were pretty rattled.

“S-Sir, if I might ask, I’m not fired, correct?” Her voice gave off the indication that she was terrified out of her mind. Well no shit since her boss yelled at her. It was scary to be yelled at. Really, really scary. Even if he wasn't yelling. The tone and edge in his voice screamed, 'Don't fuck with me.'

Harrison smiled as she stumbled through the phases of apology, hoping that she hadn't violated something very, very dangerous, and had Harrison Trenton looking to even the score. The next few things he said likely came out of left field.
"Fired? Of course not Mallory! What you did shows a willingness to try adn tap resources made available by your workplace. Perhaps a touch outside of your reach, but that kind of assumption shows ambition! And ambition is something that I applaud in my workers. Not only are you not fired, but you will find on your next cheque a retroactive raise for $0.25 an hour. Though from someone with experience in this kind of thing, I recommend you make such requests in person. It makes things go smoother." Harrison told her, his tone taking on a tinge of surprise, followed by an almost jovial tone that made him sound amused. "I'll see who might be available for the case. Make sure you're at the appointment. 12:30 sharp. In fact, be there a bit early. It looks better when you've already been given drinks." Harrison told her calmly. "Tell your friend she's in good hands." He hung up then, not giving her a chance to really respond. He smiled at that point. It was the simple things that gave him the most joy in life, small moments that let him mildly annoy someone, and get away with it. Lloyd did it twice as often. He shook his head, adn went back to his paperwork. Once it was done, he'd go through personel, see who was available.

She noted the change in his tone and she breathed a sigh of relief when he confirmed she wasn’t even fired. In fact, she was surprised as hell to have gotten a raise and it stunned her into silence that before she even knew, the call had ended. It took her a moment to finally pull her phone from her ear to stare at it before she shut it and tucked it into her pocket. It took her even a few more moments before she heard Esther.

Esther, who had finally calmed herself down, walked into the kitchen and she leaned her hip and shoulder against the corner of the wall, in entry of the kitchen. “Mal?”
The girl turned with her full wine glass in her hands and she smiled a tentative smile.
“You good?” Esther asked. Mallory simply nodded and pushed the other wine glass into Esther’s hands and watched her take a sip.
“Be ready for tomorrow.”
Esther looked at Mallory while she took a big gulp of her wine, pushing it down her throat and she tilted her head. “What’s tomorrow other than Saturday?”
“An appointment.”
“For?”
“You.”
“Me?”
“Yes, I called my boss.”

At this point, Esther took another sip of her wine just as Mallory said that and she nearly spluttered the divine liquid and almost dribbled it down her chin. “You what?” She asked, after swallowing. “Why?”

“Because it’s what friends do. So shut up, drink your wine and we are to be at Café Noir. He said 12:30 sharp but we’ll get there around noon, or even a little earlier.” She said it with much pride and confidence in her voice. Yeah, because she was no longer talking to her boss.

“Shit.” Esther murmured and she simply downed the rest of her wine, shoving the now empty wine glass towards Mallory who got the obvious notion of refilling. After another large gulp, Esther nodded her head slowly.
“I owe you.” She finally said after a good couple minutes of stunned silence.

Mallory snorted. “Yeah, you bet your cute little ass, you do.”
Esther managed a weak smile and she sipped her wine.

They both went out for dinner and by the time they came home, it was well time for bed. Both girls retired to bed but Esther hardly slept. She might have fallen asleep finally at around four in the morning and had her alarm set at eight. Four hours of sleep.
So when the morning came, she was up before Mallory, already dressed and showered and had her kindle on the kitchen table where she sat in front of, having her third cup of coffee. She hated coffee. But she only drank it when she needed instant caffeine. She needed the caffeine if she was going to get through today, already freaking out.

It just became that more real that she had been suspended from her job. She was still down in the dumps but trying to see the optimistic side in all of this. She had an appointment to meet with a rep from the firm alongside Mallory and if things went well, she just might have a job to go back to. She hoped so. She was too young to have her career ruined because of a spiteful student who didn’t like rejection. She thought she escaped high school. Unfortunately, teaching in one didn’t mean she was free from the everyday bullshit that occurred. And because she was a teacher, she was as involved as any student might be.

The files were done, adn stored. Now he had some time to get thigns done. He looked at his watch. Looked like he was putting in overtime again. With a smile, he pulled up records for lawyers due for pro bono work. He saw that there were about nine. Most tried to get ti out of te way so that someone like harrison couldn't show up and slap them with a case that they didn't want. A few of the juniors were available, but Harrison passed on them. This client would likely have been able to afford a lawyer of that calbre. Pro bono work was for something that mattered, and it should matter. He skimmed down the list, hunting for targets. In an ideal world, Mallory would be here, doing this for him. It was exactly what he paid her for. He sighed. He was giving her mroe hours, starting monday. He hoped she liked the thought of nine to ten hours days. Constantly. Because he was giving them to her. He made a note, adn sent it to scheduling and payroll, along with the information about her raise. That done, he set back to work.

Jameson was available, but he set him aside. Jameson was better in divorce hearings, and misdemeanors. He didn't have the spine for truly aggressive work, which was why he was doomed to mid-level work. but he was good there, adn every firm needed mid-levels. He skimmed farther. Paulson. Now there was a thought A cut throat bastard with an eye for the prize. He might be a decent choice. Harrison ooked at his current case load and sighed. He was available now, but he had a murder trial coming up in a few more weeks, and if this case dragged, he'd have to switch out. Coupled with the fact that murder was a slightly higher priority than the teacher. With a sigh, Harrison kept going. Kowalski and Brown were both high levels, but they would see this as a favour, adn harrison didn't want to squander good will by brow beating them into line. He shook his head, adn shut down the list. Looks like he was going to have to handle this himself.

His apartment was empty, as it was supposed to be. his staff did excelletn work, on the condition he only see them if he specifically asked to do so. It was nothing personal, he just valued his privacy. he skipped dinner. He just wan't hungry. After all, he had a snot nose case from a butt hurt little punk that needed to be straightened out. Harrison had no doubt that in his younger days this was exactly the kind of little snot that he beat the piss out of for getting in the way of people. He'd had a rough start to things. He went to bed. Big day in the morning. Not really, but it was a always a big day for a client.

The morning passed, harrison lounging in bed until ten, before rising, and showering quickly in the small en suite from his bedroom. He selected a good suit, a light grey, but made by only the finest. Feeling a bout of whimsy, he reached into the closet, adn lifted out a matching fedora hat, adn set it on his head. A lot of sun out there. It might do to have such a thing on hand. He could get something that resembled a lunch when he reached the cafe. They knew him there. And they'd be happy enough to serve him. He lifted his keys, and tucked them away, along with his phone. he pressed the call button to let the staff know he was going out, adn they should get their tasks done. He took the elevator down. It was looking to be an interesting day thus far anyhow. And that was always appealing.

Mallory woke up at around ten and went straight for a shower. By the time she finished getting showered and dressed, it was nearly eleven and she walked into the kitchen to find Esther reading and drinking coffee. She found it strange she drank coffee but then probably zoned in on the fact she didn’t sleep much. Especially with the way her hand cupped her cheek like she was actually falling asleep while reading.

Esther was falling asleep while reading. Three cups of coffee did jack shit! Hearing footsteps though, she looked up and smiled a tired smile to her friend. “Morning.”
“Morning.”
”Sleep well?” Esther asked.
”Like a baby. You?”
“Not so much.” She shrugged and downed the rest of her coffee.

“We should probably head out soon.”
“Okay, let me just go use the bathroom and freshen up a bit. I feel like I fell asleep somewhere along chapter ten.” She nodded to her kindle, causing Mallory to laugh slightly.

They left their apartment, took Mallory’s car and drove into town. Esther hated going into the congested town of Manhattan. She was so glad she did not work in Manhattan but was more than happy to make the commute to Brooklyn. But Mallory was ace at this since she grew up in Manhattan, they both went to Columbia and now here they were.

She parallel parked and paid the meter before getting out. Esther followed suit, swinging her bag over her shoulder and straightening her black and red striped v-neck that had long sleeves. Below that, she wore black trouser pants, her best ones and her favorite ankle boots, similar to what she wore yesterday but a slightly different style, and just an inch higher in heel. Her hair was untied that day and lay down her back and curled over her chest, just ever so slightly. Her hair wasn’t curly but it wasn’t straight either. It was wavy. Naturally and it was a bitch to handle at times but thankfully today, she made it work.

They walked into Café Noir where they took a seat and both ordered something to drink. Mallory ordered lunch. Esther didn’t have much of an appetite but she kept the coffee coming. So what if she was wired by the time the meeting started? At least she wouldn’t fall asleep.

“You need to eat.” Mallory tried pushing half of her club sandwich on her. Esther just shook her head.
A hand came over hers and Esther looked up at her friend. “It’s going to be okay. Your career won’t be ruined.”

“How do you know?”

Harrison parked the Lincoln. There was a parking spot reserved for the firm, at a rather large expense, but he often found it useful to say the least. He swung out, and lifted his hat. Traffic was heavy, but of course it was. It was non on a Saturday. he checked his watch. Right on schedule A five minute walk to the cafe, adn he'd be there promptly at 12:30. Just like he'd planned it. Each step he took was bringing him closer to the point that he'd be unable to simply foist this off on someone else, but that was a fading concern. At worst this would be a six week case, and only hen if the student had rich parents who were willing to make a debacle out of this. Harrison almost hoped they would, simply so he would have something amusing to do. He appraoched the cafe, and looked to the booth. Mallory was there all right.

His secretary was a striking woman, but he had a thing for striking women as his secretary. They had to be competant first and last, but if they could carry a decent look...so muchh the better. It made thigns easier when he had to attend a firm function, he could simply drag his secretary along for the ride. He'd not gotten any complaints on the issue in the past, and doubted he ever would. But the woman across from her... she was different. Not a classic beauty, and she looked...a little haggard, but then that likely came from not being in the best of spirits. But she nonetheless carried off the look she chosen for herself well. She was...well balanced was the only term he could find in his mind for her. But that was a high praise from one Harrison Trenton. He picked through the cafe, smiling at the waitress who bat her lashes and gave him a smirking smile that told him that she was more than willing to see to any of his needs. He put her from his mind after ordering. She was one of the many willing to throw themselves onto his bed, and that made her...less than noticable.

He heard the last bit of excahnge between Mallory and her friend, and he had to smile. If that wasn't a straight line, his name wasn't Harrison Trenton. And such came along so infrequently, he would feel it a waste if he didn't take up the moment.
"Because she called the best law firm in all of the country, adn asked for help. And because one of the senior partners happned to be available, and took the case up. Good afternoon ladies. Malory, good to see you. And you must be the young lady in need of help. My name is Harrison Trenton, and I'm to be your lawyer in this case." He explained. he removed his hat carefully, and tucked it under his arm. With that, he took a seat, and waited for what he'd said to sink in and get a reply.

Both women gasped at the sudden male voice. Mallory stood and Esther turned, her eyes fixed on the very big man in front of her, heavenly draped in a suit that suited him well. The fedora? Well, to each their own, she supposed. Either way, she blinked her eyes when she let all of his words soak in and just when it did, she glanced to Mallory to see her jaw had dropped.

“Let me get this straight,” Esther began. “Mallory called you and you said you’d send someone our way. What you forgot to mention was that it was you? Partner at a firm? T-Taking on m-my case?” She stuttered because it was one, a really prestigious and prominent firm, two, to have a partner take on her case was like meeting a celebrity and three, she was totally mind-fucked right now and she had a feeling Mallory felt the same.

Mallory was. She endured all of what her boss said to her on the phone last night, only for him to actually take the case himself? If she wasn’t so thankful, she’d be seething mad and realize what an asshole her boss was! She was mad, she did know what an asshole he was but if she wasn’t so thankful, she’d call him out on it!

Esther managed a weak smile and she stood up finally and extended her hand to him. “A pleasure to meet you Mr. Trenton. I’m Esther Martin.” She was doing her best to be Miss Martin, the teacher she knew herself to be and not Esther Martin, the girl who was still an awkward mess, shy out of her mind and didn’t exactly know how to be around men like Harrison Trenton. Really, really, really handsome men like Harrison Trenton. If she didn’t have any self respect or dignity, she’d be drooling right now. Fedora, or no fedora.

Sitting down, both ladies exchanged a glance and then looked to Harrison. Esther’s stomach growled lightly and Mallory hardly nibbled on her sandwich anymore. But to sate her stomach’s need for food, Esther picked up her mug and sipped on the now lukewarm coffee in it. It was just as good and as much as she needed to eat, her stomach was doing that thing now where it threatened to upchuck. Not that she’d throw up but if she ate, she just might. To say she was now officially a bundle of nerves doing all she could to keep it together was a definite and sore understatement.

Harrison had to smile at the responses he was getting. he could see a conflicting mass of simmering anger in Mallory, and he hardly blamed her. He hadn't exactly been the easiest to get along with. But then he did give her a raise, and take on her friends case. All things being equal, he felt that he'd been fair overall.
"Miss Joyner had asked if I might be able to secure you legal aid. After reviewing the lawyers in the firm available, I found that there was no one that could do the job to my satisfaction that was available. So, I took up the gauntlet myself. If you'd prefer, I can always call in one f the juniors. Far less competent of course, but peraps less of a surprise?" He offered, a small smile on his face showing that he was most certainyl not actuall serious. Harrison Trenton did not abandon his cases. Ever. He had been pulled from a case once in his career, adn he had not been pleased. His notes had still led the case to victory, but it was still a sore point. it should have been his victory, no one elses.

He shook Esther's hand, fighting the urge to be gallant, but perhaps overly familiar, and left it at the shake.
"Now then. I understand that you've been falsely accused of fraternizing with one of your students. I mean no offense, but this case shouldn't take long to wrap up unless his parents are blessed with a combination of wealth and stupidity in great abundance. But even then they'll only be prolonging the inevitable. Rest easy Miss martin. I will make sure that you still have a job to back to." Harrison told her, giving her a confident smile. "Now, why don't you tell me what happened while we eat? I prefer to hear the account directly from the accused person." As he spoke, the waitress came by and set down a sandwich and a martini. "Thank you Alice." The waitress winked at him, and moved on. He took a sip, and then began t lift his sandwich. "Whenver you're ready."​

Both girls blinked their eyes and Mallory, who seemed to be seething, relaxed as if she remembered why she shouldn’t be so mad. Either way, Esther had a lawyer to defend her case and hopefully bring this all to a good climactic close and ensure she still had a job. And with how confident Harrison seemed to be, she was thankful and her own woes and uneasiness seemed to be placated, at least for now.

When their waitress came back to bring Harrison food, Esther requested a refill on her coffee to which came immediately. She was pouring some milk and sweetener into it and then took a fateful sip before setting the mug down. Clearing her throat, her hazel eyes looked to Mr. Trenton and she nodded slowly. “Well…” She began, crossing a leg over the other under the table and rest her hands in her lap. “I just finished my last period. It was my senior class and I sat down to grade papers when I noticed he was just standing there. He looked like something was up so I talked to him. And then he looked at the me the way he did girls he’d hit on. Look, I watch my students. I care for them, watch out for their well being and if they are slacking, I give them an extra kick because I won’t take their no-nonsense bullshit.” She shrugged. Sue her for being a dedicated teacher. It’s what she had wanted to be since she was kid. It was the one thing she knew she would always be good at, no matter what.

“But anyways, he started to make a move and I backed off instantly. He claimed that I had been watching him and that I wanted him like he wanted me. I rebuffed him kindly and professionally and I thought all was fine. Next thing I know, the principal is in my office and he’s telling me what Mr. Reeves accused me of and then I’m leaving campus with all my things.” Rehashing all of that made her somewhat upset but she sipped her coffee to stay alive and to qualm her nerves as well as her mood.

“I saw him when I walked passed to leave. He was smirking. He’s lying through his teeth Mr. Trenton.” And considering she was still in her probationary period, it was easy to send her off on a temporary suspension, depending on how things play out. The way she hoped, she hoped she didn’t lose her career. She’d be so lost if she did.

“As for his parents, I don’t know his financial backing. I teach in Brooklyn and all the classes I have were the kids who were falling behind. I’ve brought up their scores, their reading levels have improved tremendously and a lot who were failing, most of them except for a few I was still working on, have brought their grades up at least to C’s. These are the kids that no one really paid much attention to because they were deemed the slackers of their grade and school. I didn’t give up.” It was taxing, she lost a lot of sleep, used a lot of her own money and it all paid off. But now for what?

Harrison nodded as she spoke, and slid out a tablet. He plugged in a keyboard, and began to type furiously. Walls of text appeared, adn scrolled down as he entered what Esther had said, along with notes in the argins. When he had her accoutn down, he submitted a request for information from the school, backed with the seal of Lloyd and Trenton. He smiled. It only took a few minutes to get a reply. Being a lawyer of his calibre had it's advantages. He took a bite of his sandwich. Ham, fried in garlic butter, topped with havarti cheese, romain lettuce and a roma tomato, it made for a fine lunch. His martini was impeccably made, but that was why he frequented the cafe. His tablet pinged, and information unfolded.

"Ah, your student has quite a record, if I do say so. Run ins with the police, school discipliary actions in abundance, oh, a sexual assault charge that was dropped, that's interesting. Seems he's had a teacher fired before based on a stunt like this, but the record was sealed at the demand of his parents to allow him a fair chance at a new start in a different school. Quite the go-getter this boy." Harrison gfell silent then, looking into the next file he'd received. "Family isn't poor, but not wealthy either. Probably spent most of their savings to seal his record. Ungrateful little snot. With their finances, it's unlikely that they can hope to find a lawyer of a high enough calbre to make a fight out of this case in court. They'll likely try and settle out. And whlie that is a preferrable solution, only if the terms are in your favour, obviously." Harrison was quiet a moment, and then looked back up at Esther. "I cna get you your job back. And get you back into work with an unblemished record even. But it will most certainly involve legally crucifying this boy. You've said you care for your students. Now, if I go after this boy to clear your name, it will have consequences for him that reach very far into his future. Can you make your peace with that?" Harriosn asked her. It was essentially setting out the ground rules on what he was going to do based on her wishes. He could be as merciless as an executioner, or restrain himself enormously. But restraining might make his job much more difficult.

Esther looked at him after she finished and her hands under the table in her lap with wringing together. She was fidgeting, a nervous habit. Hell, it was a wonder her knee wasn’t bouncing. Maybe because she had her hands to distract her. She was nervous and just telling the story, she worried that she said too much. With a glance to Mallory who was looking at her and gave her a soft nod, a reassurance, Esther looked back to Mr. Trenton and she bit her lower lip. She listened as he pulled up Donnie Reeves’ record. This wasn’t new information to her. Well the stuff he had done, until it was mentioned that he also had a teacher fired for similar reasons. She swallowed hard and then leaned forward, putting her hands on her head. She felt a hand on her back. It was Mallory.

With a small sideways glance, she frowned and her friend nodded once more reassuringly to her. Folding her arms over each other on the table, she leaned over and did her best to just stay calm. But then the dilemma came as he explained and her eyes widened. Holy shit. That was a big question to answer. Yes, she wanted her name cleared, yes she wanted her job back but if that’s what it took to clear her name and not have the reputation as the woman who may or may not have tried to seduce a student, she didn’t want that. She’d put up with the hell if it meant she got to be back with her students. Because despite the fact she gave them hell, pushed them harder than anyone else had ever pushed them, her students loved her. She learned that for sure a couple of months ago when she was out sick for a week. They were on their best behavior and when she came back, man they were so happy to see her again. She felt loved and it was all she ever wanted. To love her students and for them to at least not hate her.

“Mr. Trenton, I really appreciate everything but if that’s what it takes just to clear my name? I mean I want my job back, I really do and I would love for my name to be cleared but he’s just a kid.” She shrugged and frowned a little bit. “If this puts a damper in my case, then it’s a case I’ll have dropped because I am not about to stoop to his level just for my job and reputation.” She glanced at Mallory who was wide eyed and then looked back at him. “I’m sorry if I’ve wasted your time. Don’t take it out on Mallory. But I won’t condone that.” She took in a deep breath and then exhaled slowly. “I want my job back. But I’ll take a tarnished record over ruining someone else’s chance, education, life and future career.” Even if she thought Donnie was now a little shit and she’d make sure he wasn’t in her class at least anymore when she went back—if she went back—she still couldn’t walk all over him for her gain. That was…that was so wrong!

Harrison nodded. it was going to be abit more up hill from here, but hardly something that was insurmountable. He'd fought his way through worse in his time. But he still had to make sure that he was being completely up front about things.
"Miss Martin, you are on your probationary period. A tarnished record can cost you your career. Sow, I can approach this case ethically, and in a measured way where I'm not looking to destroy the boy, but he may dig himself a hole that he can't climb out of. I just need you to be aware of that. I won't go out of my way to destroy him. But I also won't save him from himself." Harrison warned her calmly. He was trying not to be overbearing, but he did feel that he should offer her the best legal advice that he could.

He ate more of his sandwich. It had been awhile since he needed to come to this cafe, and he did admit that he missed it somewhat.
"If he decides to pursue this past the out of court point, and keeps accusing you of this, when you didn't do it, he is essentially cmmitting perjury. And once he's crossed that line, he's lining himself up for a long run of difficulty." He smiled at her. "You are nto guilty of anything. And you have a lawyer who believes that, and knows how to make sure that the rest of the courtroom will too. This may take some extra time, since I'll be playing nicer with the boy, but you will teach again, if I have anytihng to say about it."

She listened properly and nodded her head. Okay, he made sense. If she had a tarnished record, while she was still in her probationary period, she’d be ruined probably. Or well it’d be so hard to come back from it. So she listened and he had a point. But she had a point she needed to get across as well. Because she’d do what he said so long as it was clear that she wasn’t out to ruin any lives. She was just trying to cover her bases, trying to secure her career and not let this ruin it so early on.

“Then let me get this straight Mr. Trenton. As long as it’s not being perceived that I am trying to ruin his life or anything like that. If he does it to himself, there’s only so much I can do and I get that. But I will do anything it takes so I can teach again. Just please…please don’t be too much of an asshole?” She made a face as she said it. Here she was, talking professionally yet casually with a man she never met and basically asked him not to be too much of an asshole, in other words calling him that either directly or indirectly. Yet she didn’t flinch one bit for it, even when Mallory took in a sharp breath of air through her teeth.

Esther turned her head to her. “What?’ She asked.
Mallory simply made a face, widening her eyes and looked down. Basically implying that Esther put her foot in her mouth.
“What?” She asked, not understanding. “Because I asked him not to be too much an asshole?”
Mallory covered her face in shame for her friend and her stupid mouth sometimes.
“What? Lawyers are known for it.”
And now Mallory was sliding her finger over her own neck, an implication for her stupid friend to shut the fuck up.

Esther groaned, like the light bulb went off and she covered her face. This is what she got for not sleeping much and living on coffee. “I apologize Mr. Trenton.”

Harrison had to smile at the little pantomime going back and forth between the two women. It was amusing to say the least. Try not to be too much of an asshole. That was quite a tall order! He waited until she made an apology.
"Not needed Miss Martin. You wouldn't be the first client of mine to think I'm an asshole. And nearly anyone who's had to deal with me from across a courtroom would happily add their names to the list of people that dislike me terribly. And to be fair, when I'm on the job, I am something of an asshole." He shrugged, and took a bite of his sandwich. After swallowing, he continued. "What is required of me is to win the case for you. You've given me a set of parameters to work within. And that's fine. Raking the boy over the coals, ad roasting him beofre the law might have been the easiest way to win, but I can still bring this to a graceful close without delving too much into things that would be preferred to be avoided." He gave her a smile.

"Now, I've already made a call to the school, letting them know I'm on the case, and they've agreed to hold the preliminary meeting at my firm. Which is in..." He checked his watch as he spoke. "...five hours from now. My suggestion is that you take a nap Miss Martin, and make sure your head is clear for this. With luck, it could all be over be tonight." He told her in a reassuring tone. He seriously doubted it, but he had ended some meeting through sheer intimidation. After all, now they weren't pushing around a teacher on probation, they were trying to shove a teacher on probation with a senior partner lawyer from Lloyd and Trenton behind her. And that was a very different kind of animal. He finished his lunch. He looked at Mallory. "It would be helpful if you could bring her Miss Joyner. After all, you know the building. Board room 3 on our floor. Unil this evening ladies." He stood, adn replaced his hat, taking his leave. He made sure that the wait staff knew that everything that had been served at the table was on the corporate account. He smiled. it was going to be a good day after all.

She nodded slowly. To say Esther was mortified and beyond embarrassed was an understatement. She wanted to die. Okay, not die but she wanted the ground to swallow her up and save her from this embarrassment. Leave it up to Esther Martin to fully embarrass herself in front of someone like Harrison Trenton, with Mallory present, as she was his secretary, it was even worse. With a soft sigh though and thanks to Harrison’s kind words that did little to qualm her embarrassment and mortification, she simply nodded her head. At least she didn’t offend him. Even better, at least she didn’t piss him off or offend him that he wouldn’t take her case. So that was something. Better than losing a lawyer and her case.

Still though, he was a man full of surprises. There was a meeting already. At the firm. Today. Her jaw dropped and she blinked her eyes. Was it that transparent that she hadn’t gotten much sleep and was surviving on caffeine only? That was even more embarrassing. With a heavy sigh, all she could do was nod. She would love to nap. She wanted to hide under a heavy pile of blankets and suffocate herself. It was that bad.

Once he left, Mallory looked at her with wide eyes. “Nice one.” She laughed softly.
“I know. I’m sorry.”
“How long did you sleep for?”
“Four hours.” She spoke absently, averting Mal’s gaze as she said it while taking a sip of her coffee.

Mallory laughed and shook her head. “Come on, let’s get you to bed. You’re getting cranky.” Esther just grumbled and finished her coffee before standing and they both left. They got back to the apartment thankfully and Esther went straight for her room. Mallory just laughed and Esther flipped her off before her door slammed shut. She kicked her boots off and undid her pants before pushing them down with her legs and then flopped down on bed.

Three hours later, Mallory walked into Esther’s room and she shook her gently. Esther just grumbled and waved her away. “Leave. Me. Alone.” She whined pathetically and miserably.
“Esther come on. We’re already late.” This tactic always worked. Esther loved to be punctual. She loved anything more than to be a little bit early before scheduled. So the fact that she was late, it made her wake up fast. “What?”
“Yeah we’re already ten minutes late.”
“Why didn’t you wake me Mal?”
She just shrugged and then watched in amusement as Esther got up from bed, hopped into her pants and then proceeded to get her boots back on. She ran to her little vanity unit and frantically combed her hair when she turned around and saw Mallory’s amused expression.
“What?” She asked.
Mallory couldn’t hold back. So she just laughed. “We’re not late.”
“What?” She asked exasperatedly. Mallory was often the reason Esther was very frazzled sometimes.

“We’re not late. I just said that we were so you’d get up.”
She dropped her brush from her hands and stalked towards Mallory. “I. Am. Going. To. Kill. You.”
She giggled softly and then made a mad dash from the room and around the apartment. Esther chased after her but Mallory wasn’t afraid. Not one bit. It was all playful. They were just that good of friends. Even as adults, they could resort to being kids all over again.

After both of them got ready and Esther stole Mallory’s prized possession and hid it so well in her room at the last minute, that Mal couldn’t even try to find it. Only when they left, did Esther promise that she’d give it back after the meeting. That put Mallory to a little bit of rest but she at least knew now to think farther when it came to freaking her roommate out like that.

They arrived at the firm and using her company ID badge, she was able to get them inside and to the designated board room. Esther was a bundle of nerves all over again and it was made clear by how she kept pacing slowly back and forth outside.
”Esther, E-Esther, Esther.” Mallory laughed softly.
“What?” She frowned.
Her hands came to her friend’s shoulders and she kept her still. “Take a deep breath.”
Esther did but she didn’t exhale. Mallory opened her mouth to speak, to give her another instruction when she noticed she was holding her breath. She rolled her eyes. “Exhale stupid woman.” She laughed lightly and Esther did.
Shaking her head, Mallory shook her a little bit. “Just relax. You go in that meeting, be Miss Martin, the best damn teacher you can be and then after this, we’ll go out for drinks and you can get hammered.”
”Promise?”
Mallory laughed. “Yes, promise.”

Harrison had a few files out in his offices, looking over them. Barring an exceptional lawyer, this was not going to be a troublesome case. He sighed, and closed thigns up. it was nearly time for the meeting, adn arriving late was one of the things he felt he could not afford to do. He liked his entracnes, adn they did make an impression, but he could make an equally good one just byu being there ahead of the group. He made his way forward, noting that Mallory had gotten Esther in there ahead of time. That was good! He valued prompt responses, and keeping Esther in a good state of mind was important. The worst thing she could do was give up. The best lawyer in the world couldn't save a person who gave up on their own case.

He walked calmly towards the board room. Most of the people who worked here had gone home, onyl the lawyers preparing for their upcoming cases remained, along with a few interns to run files and the like. It wasn't as good as having the dedicated runners do the work, but they worked a steady hourly week, adn weren't available at this time. Besides, interns were free, adn they needed to get some practice doing things sooner or later. Harrison opened the door calmly, and nodded to teh two women within.
"Miss Martin. Miss Joyner. I appreciate you being here a bit early." He walked past them, adn sat at the head of the table. It was his chair after all. He sank into it comfortably, and smiled. There were certainly some upsides to the home field advantage. "This meeting shouldn't take long. Once everyone is here, the allegations will be fomrally logged, and refuted, the student will likely have a few things to say, but I ask that you not actually speak to him Miss Martin. Anything you do say can be used against us. While anything he says can be used against him. What we're looking for is for her to dig himself into a hole until he realizes he's doomed. From there, we can get this resolved." He explained. He hoped she'd remain calm in the meeting. He'd had a fwe clients fly off the handle, but it seemed as though this one wasn't prone to such.

The next person in the room was the Vice Principal of the school in question. A Mr. Browning, he was a tall, stocky man who wore years of easy living around his middle. He'd not been to a gym in some time, adn Harrison repressed his distaste. To let oneself go that far... He sat without a word, looking fairly angry to be here. Harrison made a note. It was possible to get some of the accusations lessened in the face of an obviously hostile representative. The next was a group. Harrison had a hunch who they were. First was the student in question. Donnie looked like a punk, but one who had been forcibly groomed for this meeting. But he still looked like he was feeling on top of the world. This was a boy too stupid to know he was in over his head now. After him was a woman in her mid thirties, likely Donnies mother. She looked tired, worn down, adn a little frightened at being here. Harrison actuall felt a little sorry for her. It looked like she tried to keep her son under control, and he just refused to listen. Last was a man Harrison knew well. He stood, and nodded to him.

"Sleeman. I didn't know you were on this case." He said amiably. The other man froze at the sound, and looked at Harrison.
"Damn it, didn't know you'd be slumming this case Trenton. What's wrong, the IRS looking at that mountain of gold you built your house on?" The other lawyer snarled. Harriosn kept his face neutral, despite the fact he wanted nothing mroe but to laugh.
"Sleeman, come now! This is a business meeting. Leave your personal issues with me at the door, adn do try to maintain a degree of professionalism for your clients! Think of the impression you just made!" Sleeman looked at the shocked face of Donnie's mother, and the amused, and impressed look from Donnie. Harrison might have guessed that Donnie would enjoy a lawyer prone to such an outburst. Sleeman sat down. He was a shorter an, lanky of build, and he wore a suit that looked half a size too big for him. His hair was slicked back, but everything about him seemed to point to the fact he was not regarded as the best at what he did. He scraped things by. Harrison resumed his seat.

"Now, what are teh formal charges?" Harrison asked. The VP handed Sleeman a document. Sleeman read it quickly.
"My client accuses your of inappropriate conduct. Sexual advances. It's grounds for an immediate dismissal. I dont see the need for a trial for this, if your client will simply admit-" Sleeman started, but Harrison cut him off.
"Mr. Sleeman, you can stop talking now. This doesn't need to go to trial, I agree, but the case is far more open and shut in favour of my client, not yours. Given his previous record, and history of similar incidents, this case would damn him fully in the eyes of the law and public."
"That incident is in a sealed record! It's inadmissible in court!"
"For the moment. But you know very well, anything sealed can be unsealed. And I've already started the paperwork. The mayor was very helpful in expediting the process. So keep in mind Sleeman, if you push this forward, know that the record will be opened. You will be accusing a teacher, probationary period or no, with a spotless record, and on behalf of a boy with a history of a similar incident, and a dropped sexual assault charge, and believe that I'll be interviewing the other party of that for confirmation on what went on. Think very carefully. And you Miss Reeves, do know that this case can have very far reaching consequences for your son." Harrison had basically announced his plan of attack. it was bold, adn effective, and predictably, Donnie jumped up.

"Hey, you know what? Fuck you! And fuck you too!" He pointed to Esther. "You think you can just-" He started to spout, before his mother grabbed him, and pulled hiim back into his chair.
"Donald Reeves you will shut your mouth or so help me God!" She half shouted at him. Donnie seethed, but complied. Harrison only smiled at Sleeman.
"Will you drop the charge?" Harrison asked. Sleeman looked at Mrs. Reeves, who shook her head sadly.
"No." Harrison sighed.

Esther took a seat and she relaxed back. The chair was comfy and she could fall asleep in it, it was so comfortable. Damn lawyers and their fancy conference room tables and fancy chairs. It wasn’t fair. This almost felt more comfortable than her bed and she prided herself in it because of exactly how comfortable it was. A soft sigh came from her and just sitting in this chair, she felt her anxiety slowly dissipate enough.
Glancing to Harrison, she nodded her head at his advice. She had no intention to speak though she was at least thankful for Mallory sitting next to her. She just might need it, in case things got hostile.

The next person to walk in was the Vice Principal, Mr. Browning. Esther sunk a little bit in her chair, suddenly feeling guilty for this case because she feared it was putting a lot on the school. Still though, she couldn’t let it slide and she simply nodded to the man. She didn’t know him much. She got on better with Mr. Stinson. She actually wished he’d be here. He wouldn’t seem so miserable.

Then she saw Donnie and his mother walk in. She knew it was his mother because she often met with her. Her husband was always working since he was the major provider of the family and she was mostly a house wife with her own little baking stints and such on the side. She often baked some deluxe cakes for the Brooklyn bakery but nothing to really support a family. Just something for her to do. Esther tried them too. They were the best cakes she had ever eaten. She looked mortified to be here as if she had certainly been here before. And Donnie, well she had never seen him look so hateful. He never seemed this way before. She averted her gaze immediately, staring down at her hands in her lap. Mallory’s hand came to hers and Esther looked up and managed a weak smile. Mallory offered a reassuring one and then looked up when the lawyer came in. They watched the exchange and honestly, Esther felt really confident. This guy seemed like he half-assed it.

Still, things went on and Esther looked back and forth between Sleeman and Mr. Trenton. When Sleeman spoke, she looked at him. When Mr. Trenton spoke, she turned her head so fast and looked at him. It went on like this until she almost felt a little dizzy and just stared down at her hands or the table. The one person she did not look at though was Donnie. She just couldn’t do it.

She gasped though at Donnie’s outburst and her hands clenched together. She swallowed hard and bit down on her lower lip hard. She felt Mallory’s hand on her fist and it honestly held her back. She wouldn’t have hit him. But man she was close to snapping or breaking down. One of those. This was not how she wanted things to go. It should have gone amicably. With a resigned sigh, she calmed herself down well enough and when the decision was made, she looked like her face fell. They still wouldn’t drop the charge. How long could they pursue this because from what she heard in all this, from what she understood, Donnie didn’t really stand a chance. Esther’s record was clean. Donnie’s was tainted.

"Mrs. Reeves--" Esther began but Mallory pushed a death grip on her hand which caused her to not to talk. Dammit, she bit her tongue and shook her head, sitting back and sighing softly. She wasn't supposed to say anything but honestly it made her feel like a coward for not saying anything. She understood why but she couldn't shake the feeling whatsoever.

"Then I suppose we're doine here." Harrison said, a touch of sadness in his voice. There really wasn't anything he could do at this point, as he watched Sleeman collect his files, and usher Donnie and the VP out. Mrs. Reeves hesitated a moment. Harrison noted the woman's reuctance, adn she looked as if she wanted to say something. He gestured to the door, and she pushed it shut. "What can I do for you?" Harrison asked.
"How much trouble can this land Donnie in?" She asked with a tinge of worry to her tone. Harrison didn't hesitate.
"A lot. If this goes to trial, he has no evidence to support his claims, when the seal come off the files, and it's shown that he's done something like this before, he'll have nothing to go on. And then, if her persists, and I think he will, it's not just him losing the case. Now he's commited perjury. And that'll land him in jail." He let the last sink in. She lost a few shades of colour. "Not to mention the rest that it opens you up to. Miss Martin can sue you for false accusation, defamation of character, lost work...the list goes on. This could ruin your family." She looked on the verge of tears. "But you can end this. Tell Sleeman to end the case. You have that power. Just end it. And this can go away." She nodded, adn left the room. Harrison could hear Sleeman complaining that as her attorney, he should be present for any and all conversations about the case And then they werw gone. Harrison had a smug smile on his face.

"That went well." Harrison said idly. He turned to Esther. "That should be the last important meeting. Mrs. Reeves should get the charges removed, and this matter should drop. Sleeman will likely be pouring over your record, looking for anything he can use against you Is there anything in your background that he can find? Police records? videos that can be damaging to your reputation? Anything?" He asked, honestly just looking for informatrion. The fact that the way he asked, just looking for information, no assumption in his tone, spoke worlds about what he expected to find. Nothing.

Her back was to them both as they spoke but she heard them. Her eyes closed and her head lowered, her grip on her hands clasped together tightened. She swallowed hard and then stood abruptly when their conversation finished, turning. “Mrs. R—“ She started but the woman was already gone and she sighed heavily. She felt so guilty. Even if it wasn’t really her fault, she still felt so responsible. Turning again, she sank back down in the plush comfort of the black chair, letting her body slide down a bit as her hands came to rest on the arm rests. Mallory looked at her. “You okay?”
Esther nodded her head slowly. “I just feel bad.” She whispered.
“Why? None of this is your fault.”
“Yeah but maybe a twenty-three year old shouldn’t be teaching kids five years younger than her.” She murmured.

”Esther, don’t say that. You’re good at what you do, otherwise you wouldn’t be a teacher. They wouldn’t have hired you.” She tried to reassure her and Esther just nodded her head.
“I just hope he drops the case because it’s one thing to ruin his life. That’s his own doing. But if it was to ruin the entire Reeves family, I—“
“Esther, none of that would be your fault. She knows now what the consequences of it are if her son persists.”
“I know but—“
“No buts. It’s done. End of.”

Esther sighed and she closed her eyes, tilting her head back. When she opened her eyes, she zoned them in on Mr. Trenton and shook her head. “Nope. I was boring. I am still boring.” She snorted and Mallory rolled her eyes.

“She’s also got severe insecurity issues Mr. Trenton.” And this was she poking a little humor on Esther’s behalf.
“Bite me.” She muttered and sat up, folding her arms on the table. “Is there anything else that needs to be discussed?” She asked him. “Or is that it for today?”

Back
Top Bottom